Utah State football: Friday's game against BYU is a big deal for Utah State connections

Comments

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Sept. 29, 2010 11:23 p.m.

I expect this to be a difficult game. USU will be highly motivated. BYU will have to manufacture an offense or they are not going to win much this year.

That means a lot more players besides Heaps have to step up and make the offense run the way it should.

The Defense may be the key to this. If they can hold USU down to less than 14 BYUs chances improve a lot. Maybe special teams can pull it out?

I do expect things to run better but anything can happen.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:24 a.m.

At 1-3 this game is a big deal for BYU.

If the Cougars take it lightly they will get beat.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:45 a.m.

QB goes to USU.

Injuries favor y.

Home crowd goes to USU.

4th Qtr endurance goes to y.

It will be anybody's game. I will be surprised if Aggies don't take an early lead. Will be pleased if Aggies can hold on to lead in 4th.

Go Big Blue!!!

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 7:13 a.m.

I'm as big an Ag fan as there is but as Big Hapa (Y fan) advises we should not live in "fantasy of grandeur" and looking at this game as objectively as possible I unfortunately still see it going to Y. If you add Turbin back in and Matt Ahyou at LB then maybe, maybe we win but with Turbin and Smith out at RB, Austin and Morrison out at WR, Ahyou and maybe Junior out at LB, along with Coleman in secondary, plus our best O lineman I just don't seeing us having the horses to win it. Greatly pains me to say it because if there ever was a year over the last ten when considering victory wasn't "fantasy of grandeur" this year would be it.

Another unfortunate for USU is Riley was hurt. As long as Bronco kept playing Polyanna and not making a decision as to their QB the better for everyone else. Too bad for Riley but it certainly makes BYU more of a threat with Heaps. Look at what SD State did to our secondary?

Love ya Ags but I think we'll have to keep waiting.

35-27.

• Teaching_Liberty Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 8:11 a.m.

I grew up as a BYU fan, but attended and graduated from Utah State.

I'm excited for the game. I know it probably shouldn't be so, but I'll be happy with the outcome either way.

My opinion...I'd LOVE for USU to win, but I think they are more accustomed to losing to BYU and BYU really needs this win to boost their morale and to improve. Should be a good game. May the best blue win!

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 8:27 a.m.

BYU is struggling on both sides of the ball this year. This game should be a "big deal" for both teams.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 8:51 a.m.

I would have thought USU had a shot to win this until they were thrashed by SDSU.
    If Fresno can win in Logan so can byu.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 9:47 a.m.

This BYU team is so unpredictable...I think the Y pulls it out, but it should be a close one. Just open up the playbook a bit, we need to have some deep threats and not simply play field position football. I think we'd all prefer to see some more risk (and potential reward) with our your offense.

• imanaggie South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 9:56 a.m.

I thought USU had a chance to be decent this season until I saw them roll-over in San Diego. I don't give them much of a chance against even a bad BYU team. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

• UtahGal Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 10:01 a.m.

Go Aggies Go!

My favorite team is Utah and anybody who plays BYU. I always cheer for the Ags and wish them well. My husband is an Aggie and his biggest wish is that Utah and byu both beat each other ha ha.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 10:17 a.m.

This is a BIG game for both teams, but I think much much bigger for BYU, if USU loses than its just status quo for them against BYU but if the Y loses they might as well just get in the bus and drive to nowhere in particular cuz nobody will be watching the rest of the season and Bronco's head will be on the chopping block.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Sept. 30, 2010 10:21 a.m.

"My favorite team is . . anybody who plays BYU."

I never understood the UtahGals of the world . . I grew up a BYU fan, attended the Y and remain a fan. Yet I always root for the Utes to beat everyone BUT the Y. Is your way more fun? Maybe I should experiment with bitterness sometime. I'd need a team to root against, and frankly the Utes just don't seem worth the effort. Any suggestions? Maybe the Heat, or the Bears (Jay Cutler seems eminently hateable)?

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:04 a.m.

Yankee

Bronco's position is secure. Everyone has accepted 2010 is a rebuilding year. A significant revelation of recruiting fraud or a string of Honour Code violations is the only thing that would put his job in jeopardy. Bronco will retire on his own terms from BYU (5-10 years is a good bet).

Madden

"Deep threats," I will be watching Hoffman. I have not seen many perfect deep balls from Heaps. Maybe we can blame the out of bounds balls on the curve of the stadium field. Never heard it used as an explanation before, it would be interesting to hear it.

Looking forward to Friday night!

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:15 a.m.

Re: Nehu

They said that it is BYU that has delusions of pigskin grandeur.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:17 a.m.

Amen on Yankee Doodles comment. You are right if we lose we can still finish .500 which would be deemed big success in Logan. BYU loses and you are right Provo and Cougs everywhere will not be happy at all.

So I agree and then some.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:39 a.m.

@Sloppy J
    I am pretty sure nobody understands Ute fans, I know I don't.
    Like Chris B who pays his own money to go to a BYU game in person just to see them lose. Don't get that at all.
    I do think the Heat are a good choice to hate this year, especially in Cleveland, Ohio.

@Floyd Johnson,
    You are right, it would just be nice to see if Bronco got a little heat from above he might start making better decisions this year before the bottom falls out.

• Shooter_McGavin Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:51 a.m.

I've always found it hilarious that USU has a perception that there is a heated "rivalry" with BYU. When I was at the Y (during the Crowton era unfortunately) I remember seeing a petition to stop playing USU because it was perceived as an easy win, nothing more.

I've got a hint for you Aggies, there is no rivalry in the eyes of most BYU fans (and players for that matter). The only reason we schedule you is because its an easy travel game and holding on to the status quo of always playing in state FBS teams.

• So-CalAggie Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:32 p.m.

not real thrilled with the tone of the article, makes it sound like we live for this game and nothing more. Truth is it's just a non-conf game, but an instate rival. So yea it's big, but it's not a make or break kind of game. Sure we want to win, sure it would be nice to start winning and go to a bowl game. I too was at the SDSU game, and if that Aggie team, whats left of them, shows up, it could be a long night for the Aggies.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:39 p.m.

Shooter is, of course, correct. USU remains a wisp of an afterthought to BYU football fans, for obvious reasons. But, I think real Cougar fans would welcome a more robust TUP (Team Up North) and an actual rivalry if the Ags could manage to put a comopetent program together.

The Utah-BYU "rivalry" was in a similar state from the time I started paying attention to sports (1982) until 1993. The outcome was hardly in question; it was more about how many yards and points the Y could rack up.

I was in the stands for both 34-31 games. It killed me at the time, but the games have been 100X more interesting and competitive since then. Strong Utah and USU programs can only be good for BYU fans who enjoy real competition.

Until USU finds the formula, the "rivalry" BYU represents a no-win for BYU. The Y wins? Big deal. The Y loses (or even wins a close one)? Let the ridicule flow. And yes, I realize this is the dilemma for a lot of the "top" programs when they schedule BYU.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:42 p.m.

I'm with teaching. I grew up as a Y fan, but attended and graduated from USU. I think it could go either way. I will be at the game and will be cheering to see a good game. May the best BLUE win.

• WA-Aggie Kent, WA
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:43 p.m.

Shooter is one of the reason Aggies and lots of other schools hate Cougars. Funny you can't say the same about basketball now or football prior to the 70's. Beating USU in the 70's or earlier would have been a big deal for the Y. Now spout off about living in the past, but we used to compete until administration's quit supporting athletics and conference affiliation ended up being a key to sucess that USU missed the boat on, thanks to both BYU and Utah. (Read Ladell Andersons comments as he was closely involved).

If BYU wins, come back and rub our noses in it again, we expect Cougar fans to do that. But you may not win this year, and we will proudly rub your noses in it until next year.

• Dave from Taylorsville Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Seen both teams play up close. No brainer win for BYU.

And "Sloppy J" has it right. . . this NOT a rivalry. A- BYU continues to play Utah St. for one big reason, LaVell Edwards (he played there and backs them up when ever possible). B- Football independence will give BYU an excellent excuse to drop them from the schedule. And NO, they won't need them to fill out the schedule, there are plenty of people who want to play the Y.

++++++++++++++++++

"Big Hapa stole that saying from a recent article in a newspaper in Fort Worth, Texas. They said that it is BYU that has delusions of pigskin grandeur."

This is coming from a Horn Frog with an agenda.

And all of you "Know It Alls" that think the BYU football program is not considered or respected around the country, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. It's laughable. I was in the Swamp 2 years ago for the Vandy game. Had my BYU T-shirt on. Got some good comments; especially about Tebow comparing to BYU QBs. Couple of guys asked when Gators would play BYU. Similar comments from Georia fans at the Fla-Ga game in Jacksonville.

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:11 p.m.

I hope this USU vs BYU rivalry gets better.

It should get better since BYU is joining the WAC in football next year, now if only USU could beat BYU, then this rivalry might start to be interesting.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:19 p.m.

I would love to see the Aggies win but, with their injuries, it would be like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. I keep seeing comments from TDS fans completely oblivious as to why we can't stand you. Maybe the arrogance of quest for perfection t-shirts and players talking about people pumping their gas and citing honor codes while displaying middle fingers in the stadium should give you a clue. Maybe because you think you're a Notre Dame when, Notre Dame in a bad year gets more national respect. No, we don't like you and I'll cheer for anyone but you. GO AGGIES!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:40 p.m.

Sloppy J said it best. College games are much better when they are close. After all, it is entertainment.

I think BYU will put it together, enough to beat the Aggies. It will be a close game, though. Close games have favored BYU the last few years.

As far as teams to hate, the Heat are a bandwagon choice for hate. But have you forgotten about the Lakers? Not that I am advocating bitterness....

• mangotlay24 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:48 p.m.

good to see the aggie fans coming out of the wood works.

Dave from taylorsville,
    i'd chalk it up to southern hospitality. i was in new orleans for the sugar bowl and bama fans had nothing but nice things to say about the utah team (except for when they said they thought they had too much size for us). same thing when i was in georgia not a year after utah's first bcs bowl win. is byu a national power? no. a relevant and consistent program? definitely. will they beat the ags and salvage what's left of their season? i believe so. but they better stop flopping against the florida states of college football or else big-time programs are gonna think byu is an easy win. that can't be good for anyone in provo.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:52 p.m.

I didnt know that BYU was joining the WAC. I thought they were going independent....news to me. This BYU fan has zero faith in this team especially Robert Anae and his horrific play calling and then we have Mr Motivation and Excitement, Coach Mendenhall, prediction: Utah State 21, BYU 13. Go coogs

• UteMiguel Aliso Viejo, CA
    Sept. 30, 2010 2:11 p.m.

I think this game is a bigger deal for BYU. Lose this game and the hopes of salvaging a decent season evaporate. USU can lose this game and still be happy with their progress if they are competitive in the WAC.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 2:28 p.m.

Just as a point of clarification for people like "Shooter_McGavin", Aggie fans don't view this as a heated rivalry. They know that the USU game is an after thought for BYU and its fans. But that doesn't prevent them from hating the Cougars. It is a "rivalry" because of tradition, but it is not "heated". They want to win the game because of that history. I think that most people in Logan consider Nevada to be the big rival because of basketball.

• 3141 Columbus, Ohio
    Sept. 30, 2010 2:35 p.m.

Unfortunately, I think BYU wins this one, but only because they'll be playing against so many backups. If USU was healthy, BYU would get stomped.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 30, 2010 2:51 p.m.

Love this time of year. Football is a great way to get our minds off of other things. From hot and flat Texas, it would be nice to be in Logan and enjoy a fall game.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 30, 2010 2:56 p.m.

davidutefan

It's too bad you are offended by someone having "perfection" as a goal. Sure, one may never get there. But if you aim for perfection and fall short, you are still better off than those who don't even try. It's not "arrogance," it's a goal.

As for the inane Notre Dame reference some Utes have glommed on to, show me where any BYU personnel has EVER referred to our school or program as a "Notre Dame." The ESPN guy did, but we did not. If you have a problem with his reference, you should take it up with him.

I like USU. I always cheer for them (except this week) and I was sorely disappointed when they lost against Fresno State. I think their program is building and I think their coach is going to do wonderful things with it. Good luck to the Aggies the rest of the season, but this Friday .... Go Cougars!

• BYUBrasilFan Kearns, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 3:16 p.m.

Maybe USU will get another "moral" victory like they did in 2008 when BYU punished them for 3 quarters and then eased up in the 4th. It was quite hilarious to hear Aggie fans talk after that game as if the only quarter that matter was the 4th.

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 3:33 p.m.

davidutefan

Start being a fan and stop being a hater.

There's nothing arrogant about striving for an undefeated season.

Give me an example of a single top team in any conference that begins its season with the goal of only losing one or two games.

And, branding an entire program based on the actions of a handful of players and fans is the very definition of stereotyping.

As long as you're only looking for the bad in something, you'll always find it. Take a look in the mirror and you'll find that you're surrounded by crimson-clad fans who are acting in much more vile and disgusting ways than anything you'll ever see at BYU.

Stop by the BYU-Utah game this year and carefully read the t'shirts worn of some of the Utah fans and then explain why a "Quest" t'shirt bothers you so much, when you're so tolerant of the t'shirts commonly worn by many of your fellow Utah fans.

The real reason some Utah fans hate BYU is because BYU has dominated Utah in football for the better part of the last half century.

• Boom Irving, TX
    Sept. 30, 2010 3:56 p.m.

What does it mean to Cougs if the Ags win?

• Boom Irving, TX
    Sept. 30, 2010 4:00 p.m.

Friday night college games are always fun. However, 1-3 vs 1-3 could turn out to be a yawn fest.

I guess fighting for the 2-4 record as opposed to 1-4 record could be telling.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 6:53 p.m.

I was excited following the Oklahoma USU game that perhaps the ags had turned the corner and they would be the team to take down Boise. Injuries in droves happened. BYU isn't going to see a good USU team this year. Hopefully all those guys get healthy and we can see a USU team going bowling soon.

BYU considers only one program as its rival. That is the Utes. Still even though this isn't a rivalry, now that BYU is an independent this series SHOULD be continued. As a fan I like seeing some of the same programs every year. I want to see Utah, USU, Navy, ND, Army and AF played consistently along with those bigger programs we are so excited about.

• meet me in the MUSS Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2010 7:29 p.m.

For those of you saying you don't understand Ute fans, here is a sneak peek into the complex framework that makes up this classy Ute fan's mind.

I root for BYU in every game (except of course the obvious). Why? Because we always play you, and we always have a legit chance of beating you. Look at the results our 2008 BCS season. BYU does well, and Utah absolutely routs them essentially springing us into the Sugar Bowl where we owned some Tide.

If somehow we don't play you next year due to last minute schedule changes will I be gunning for you? NO! That isn't classless or stupid or whatever adjective you want to give it. The U is the University OF Utah, and I love this state, why wouldn't someone want our university to do well and take in more money? That's just un-Utahn.

This all being said, I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a little bit of pleasure when the Y loses, even if it makes the last game less legit. Sorry. I have to relate this to the article somehow. BEAT THE AGS!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 8:23 p.m.

Go Aggies!

Might be your easiest game all season

• Vegas Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 30, 2010 8:43 p.m.

What do both Cougars and Aggies have in common?

- Both applied to BYU.

Go Cougs!

• VictorVonTrap Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 9:00 p.m.

Well, Jake, it all started to go downhill when we switched from royal blue to navy.

• PJ Logan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:03 p.m.

Vegas, I hope you attend the game Friday night and take a look at the student section and read the friendly signs directed at BYU fans and players,(binoculars may help) that may change your opinion.

• Will S. Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:50 p.m.

This should be a really good game. There's a great interview with former Utah State quarterback Mike Canales (one of only 2 Aggie QBs to beat BYU in the past 28 years at college gridiron 365 dot com. Seems like a great guy. He also cut his teeth coaching at BYU as a grad assistant under Norm Chow.

• Aggie24 Hyde Park, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 2:59 p.m.

"What do Cougars and Aggies have in common?"
    -Vegas

They all go to the Howl.

Go Aggies.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Oct. 1, 2010 3:23 p.m.

re:Solomon the thinks he's wise, you can honestly watch Lenny gomes, Max Hall, and a host of others make the comments they have and talk about Utah fans? The Utah team also strives (and achieves) perfection but, we don't feel the need to put it on a T-shirt. We put it on the field. as for dominance, 10-10 in the last 20 years is dominant how? Lavell retired a long time ago. Utah has clearly been the dominant program. How many BCS bowls has the TDS been to? That's part of the problem. YBU fans live in the past. I've read these posts for a long time and even watched fans insult Whittingham. I would quit my season tickets if Bronco became our coach. "Brigham Young is the most-hated team in college football, which may be the best-kept dirty little secret in the game. That's because to criticize BYU openly is to risk becoming embroiled in a heated debate–or worse–involving not only football but also religion and race and attitudes about life." August 31, 1992 in SI

• wad11656 Provo, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:03 a.m.

Welp, it's over now...Unexpecteed turnout; Congrats to the Aggies! Keep working hard, BYU!