High school football: Cottonwood football player injured in assault at Skyline

Comments

• Dachsatian Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:30 p.m.

This is absolutely atrocious and hurts both schools. Hopefully someone will hear something and report it to the authorities to help catch these thugs. Four men attacking a 16 year old kid, give me a break! And hopefully all of the schools will beef up security at events, knowing that tensions and emotions can run high. Here's one fan who's hoping that we can all learn from this and move forward into a more positive athletic environment.

• d0wns0uth Hurricane, UTAH
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:07 p.m.

That is a very sad situation. I hope all coaches give the kids a talk this week before all games around the state. I hope someone gets made a example because of this.

• Football Fan NP Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:07 p.m.

Unbelievable and devastating to this family with a young man cut short in his career because there are thugs looking for the thrill of assaulting a defenseless athlete. This article was so well written and researched that I alternated between rage and sorrow that no one witnessed the attack and could assist Falemaka. Certainly it is a wake up call for any sporting event where there are thousands of students and also roving gangs who could attack and injure anyone in their way. My deep condolences to his family and hopefully we fans can contribute to his medical expenses in some way. Great journalism by Mr. Phibbs in this excellent description of high school sports gone wrong. Hope for more reporting like this in the future.

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:34 p.m.

you think they would have cameras covering every inch of the school. I don't fell safe there now. That's scary and people shouldt be doing that because the score of the game. Cottonwood looks unreal this year and should go deep into the playoffs. Too bad they might be going there without a pretty key player. I hope you can find those kids and punish them. I don't care if they go to skyline or not. That makes them look really bad in my mind

• bbinla Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:54 p.m.

There were heightened tensions on and off the field at Skyline during the Olympus game four weeks ago. It would be interesting to know if Skyline administration acted accordingly at the time and immediately increased their game security...unfortunately, based on this article, it doesn’t sound like that happened. And being "devastated" doesn't really help the victim much. The host school is responsible for making sure adequate security is in place, whether the attack was by current Skyline students or adult without ties to the school. Hopefully the Cottonwood player will have a speedy recovery.

• DUBBLEDUB Scottsdale, AZ
    Sept. 28, 2010 3:39 a.m.

No cameras? Even in today's world? They definitely didn't have them when I was attending Olympus in the mid 80's but I thought they'd have them by now for sure.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 28, 2010 7:31 a.m.

Kids brag about stupid acts like this. Offer a $ reward and they will get ratted out. I guarantee it. Then prosecute them to the full extent of the law.

• thpslc Holladay, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 7:44 a.m.

DUBBLEDUB, I am on the Community Council at Cottonwood. We just last year budgeted for a better camera system. It is very expensive and most schools have either out of date security cameras or non at all.
    Off topic...the day after we installed them, the girl's swim team had a bunch of stuff stolen. The cameras caught the thieves red handed. Worth the investment that day alone.
    I hope they can find out who hurt this boy. No one should be jumped...ever!

• Kipp Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 8:08 a.m.

What has happened to Skyline? This is terrible! After this and what happened against Oly - two incidents in one year?

A couple of questions...why not use the restroom in the locker room at halftime? Why wander away from your team? I understand that the visitors' locker area is in the small gym, but there are restrooms in there. This does not excuse those that attacked this kid, but had he gone with his team, this never would have happened.

Also, on KUTV, it showed that the assault took place on the visitors' side. It could have very well been someone not affiliated with Skyline.

Eggs were thrown on the Cottonwood patrons? Wow.

Bottom line...Skyline's administration needs to take action immediately. Taking a blind eye weeks ago to what happened with Oly and now coming out saying how they feel terrible. Someone, somewhere needs to teach this program how to lose with class, because they haven't figured it out. All of the good that has been done for the past twenty-five years will be overshadowed by the administration's lack of control.

• chaliceman Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 8:17 a.m.

This behavior effects everyone but especially all those who are tied to this school. As an alumni of Skyline's second graduating class, this puts a black eye on my school's reputation. I wish Falemaka a speedy and full recovery. One day I hope he gets his pay back in a great game against my alma mater.

• Tommy Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 10:00 a.m.

I am aware of another assault later that weekend on a kid from Highland invlolving Skyline kids.

Not sure what is going on up there but the administartion at Skyline might want to pull their heads out of the sand and take some action to see that these things are avoided in the future.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 10:08 a.m.

this is so sad, and then the kid from bingham holding kids at gunpoint, like what goes through there heads, this is so sad for this player who is there enjoying his life, and some people can make themselves hurt this innocent kid! and the bingham stud who pulled a gun, do you honestly think 4 kids wont notice a big Tongan like yourself pointing the gun at them? I am bingham fan, but the kid should be kicked off team peck! Baseball team kicked off Anderson last year just for drinking at a party! make the same choice as Coach Sato common peck! ITS A FELONY!

• Duchesne Dan-O Duchesne, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 10:28 a.m.

Tommy, Kipp: you guys hit this on the head. Accountability falls on the shoulders of this school's administration. For years Skyline has come across as the crown jewel of east side schools. Not anymore. Who feels safe at Skyline?

My heart goes out to this kid. Here he is representing his school at a sanctioned event, and he gets assaulted, seriously injuring his knee. Regardless if they catch the perps, accountability needs to be taken - it should be taken by the Skyline administration, they failed - and this isn't the first time this year.

I hope this kid has a strong recovery, and I hope there aren't any repercussions from this incident.

• screenname123 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 11:20 a.m.

Why doesn't the paper offer some sort of description of the assialants from the victim? Any sort of details would help. These four kids/men had to leave the campus at some point. Maybe someone will recognize the description.

• Bundala Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 11:24 a.m.

" we don't really have that here" obviously you do have "that". It's unfortunate that this happened.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 11:28 a.m.

How sad that stuff like this happens at a high school game. Players getting assaulted and eggs being thrown at fans? Really? Why is there so much hate in the world and why do fans have to act so immature? Its just a game.

Best to luck to this young man in his recovery. This injury is probably just as damaging psychologically as physically.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Sept. 28, 2010 12:08 p.m.

Not a Fair Alma Mater! I am ashamed that people from my former High School would do such things to give it a bad name. Back in my day, other schools would pick on people from Skyline at a game, but I guess kids act like hoods from all schools now. Maybe it is time to stop putting money into sports and put it into music, I don't think that the orchestra fans beat each other up.

• loverofthegame Provo, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 12:46 p.m.

I say if they find who did this make an example of them by a more severe punishment than a slap on the hand!

• Big Daddy Ute Logan, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 3:01 p.m.

I am a Skyline grad. I will never tell anyone I went to Skyline. What has happened to the great school I went to many, many years ago. I am ashamed.

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 3:08 p.m.

This is not the Skyline of old! The school has always been first class! Hopefully this is an isolated issue!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 3:27 p.m.

Yes Big Daddy, Skyline was so much better in the olden days.....I was in Skyline's Parking lot with 3 of my friends after a Night Football Game back in the 70's....we were surrounded by 25-30 Skyline hoods that were all 20-25 yrs old....they proceeded to pound the crap out of us and tore the side of the truck bed completely off its frame.....one of the kids ended up with a plate in his head....No press back then...its was standard behavior! In the 60 's the whole group of SLC high schools banded together to go up to Ogden to get revenge for a bunch of Ogden hoods who beat up some west high cheerleaders......ah yes the good old days...when all Night games were suspended because of fighting in the parking lots!

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 3:53 p.m.

As a member of two families with a long football tradition at Skyline, as someone who donates every year to the program, never misses a game and currently has a son playing on the sophomore team I can say with all certainty I am ashamed to consider myself an Eagle today.

This act of cowardness goes beyond the Football field and even the school walls. It's waves ripple throughout the community itself. Today all Eagles must bare the burden of shame thanks to the actions of Cowards!

If any of the perpetrators have any integrity you will turn yourselves in immediately and agree to pay your debt the fullest extent of the law. You will then apologize to the victim, his family, the school and the thousands of alumni to whom you have brought shame upon with your brazen act of idiocy.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victim and his family and I hope he will be back on the playing field as soon as possible. I am deeply sorry and ashamed your family is suffering at the hands of someone who is associated with Skyline.

May you have Godspeed and the best of luck!

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 4:26 p.m.

Come on "Truth". Your story sounds a bit like a tall tail to me.

• Wm2SLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 4:44 p.m.

I'm a fan and have been attending Cottonwood games for 4 years now... I've only seen 4 incidents... In a game in Davis County, there were eggs thrown... Last years homecoming game at Cwood, Skyline students launched water balloons from an apartment complex east of the field... one young lady was hit and knocked down as she was performing.. she still has a scar... this last Friday, the above incident and the visiting crowd being egged from the parking lot. Of any school I'm concerned about attending games at with my daughter? Skyline... Very sad for me as I'm an alum of Skyline...

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 7:08 p.m.

These rivalries are getting embarrassing. This goes for high school and college football. Sure, a little back and forth banter is fun, but people in this state have taken it way, WAY too far.

I wish a very speedy recovery to this young man, and that the violent young men who did this will be caught and punished.

• Bulldog8 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 7:48 p.m.

Chances are the people who did this weren't even from Skyline. The whole egging thing is unfortunate, but lets be real Skyline isn't the only place that happens.
    I feel bad for the kid and his family and I wish him a speedy recovery, but I think Skyline is catching way to much flak for this one. This could happen in any bathroom at any school.
    And to the guy who wouldn't stop talking about how well written this article was I thought it was a terribly written piece. Like I said earlier the writer contradicted himself about when it happened, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single quote from anyone at Skyline other than the administration releasing an apology

• UltimateJazzFan Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 11:12 a.m.

@Bulldog8: The article never said that it was anyone affiliated with Skyline that did this, only that it happened on their property. Also, read the article again - the writer never contradicted himself. The differences coming up about when it happened are coming up from a quote. The writer did a good job of reporting the quote accurately and as far as no quote from anyone at Skyline is concerned, the article clearly states that Skyline declined to comment, meaning they were given the opportunity to do so. The article was well researched and well written and I applaud both the author and The Deseret News for keeping the public informed.

• Jim from OK Harrah, OK
    Sept. 29, 2010 1:21 p.m.

At first I was questioning the facilities, because I played at a fairly small school (graduating class of 62 students), and still never ran into a facility so poor that a player would have to interact with fans to use the restroom at halftime....

That said, this ends up being one extremely poor piece of journalism. While it gives an accounting of the attack, it does not give an accounting of what this victim was wearing. While usually this is an irrelevant detail, if you are going to report the fact that the victim was a football player for the away school, it is a very important detail.

• Jim from OK Harrah, OK
    Sept. 29, 2010 1:22 p.m.

(continuing)

If he was in uniform, this is a VERY big deal.... and the school should not be able to host another game until the opposing team has a safe place to go during halftime. (Multiple meanings of "go" relevant -- both "gather" and "relieve ones self" are applicable.) If not in uniform, while still a horrible situation, no real action should be taken against the host school other than maybe requiring that they up security a bit....

Some may ask, "WHY this distinction?" It really does have a simple answer. While a host school has the fundamental ability (and duty) to control (and therefore restrict) the interactions of players and fans with "authorized only" areas, it does not have the ability to control all fan interactions. While, yes, the victim may have been a member of the opposing team -- but unless he was there in uniform, he was there as a fan.

• Hov Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 1:38 p.m.

West Granger oooooooh scarry. Why did they care then that the boy played for cwood if the perps were not affiliated with skyline? It seems unlikely that someone would care who it was or where he played if it was random. This was targeted and I doubt someone would miss their own hs football team play to travel to the saftey of " we don't really have that here" stadium to beat up a sophomore. Get real it is an issue. Hunter and granger played last week too. No eggs, no fights, just fun.

• Fball fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 3:20 p.m.

First off, I agree with everyone who says this is a poorly written article.

#1 The incident did not happen at half time, but was before half time, so he could not use the locker room bathroom. Unfortuneately, when you have to go you have to go.

#2 He was fully dressed in the CWOOD uniform. Shoulder pads and all.

#3 What needs to be addressed is, as stated earlier from people, is the fact that Olympus was also vandalized and mistreated when they were the opposing team there a month ago. Two incidents within a month of each other at the same place, needs to be addressed by the administration. Skyline kids may not be the ones doing this, but it is on Skyline property and they are ultimately responsible for this poor behavior.

• cmck15 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 5:28 p.m.

At Skyline, they are saying the kid blew out his knee during the JV game the day before, I wonder if this is true at all?

• EagleKnows sandy, ut
    Sept. 29, 2010 5:47 p.m.

It is a bit strange that the player didn't even actually find a restroom...since the area north of the field, where there is a gully(not school property), quite obviously couldn't contain a restroom. Why not stay in designated areas and make the job of protecting you easier by going to a bathroom a couple minutes later at halftime?

• chemman Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 7:48 p.m.

I guess differing opinions don't get posted! Thanks for your efforts.

• EagleParent Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:02 a.m.

What happened to Lo is unacceptable. As terrible as this incident is, there are some baseless statements made about Skyline. For example, Kipp wrote "someone, somewhere, needs to teach this program how to lose with class, because they haven't figured it out". Kipp, you could not be more wrong. Head coach Roger Dupaix is a class act whether his team is winning or losing. His coaching intelligence is obvious by Skyline’s success, but his character and the character he instills in his players stays with them for life. The hundreds of young men who played for Dupaix at Skyline, like Cottonwood head coach Josh Lyman, can attest to the model program he runs. He bans swearing, tells his players to be on time to class, be good citizens, don't trash talk, and stay away from alcohol and drugs. Although the state requires a 2.0 to be eligible for athletics, Skyline has a team goal for a 3.2 GPA. So don’t rush to judge the longstanding reputation of a first class program based on one isolated event.

• mbsky Murray, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 9:53 a.m.

Skyline has had a great program for along time. But i think there is time for a change and that time was 5 years ago.The option is out the spred should be in .It seems like they are stuck in a time warp and cant get out.Let's try this out how about putting the BEST 11 player's on the field. Just thinking outloud! As for this cottonwood /skyline situation if it is true then it's pathetic if not then lets just move forward.

• EagleParent Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 11:57 a.m.

Its funny that mbsky thinks Skyline should have scrapped the option 5 years ago in favor of the trendy spread offense. In fact, Dupaix won his 8th state championship at Skyline 5 years ago in 2005 with a team ranked 4th in their region entering the playoffs. And last year, Skyline finished 2nd in offensive production behind Bingham in all of 5A. Maybe you should rethink your theory. With the right athletes (especially QB), execution, and QB reads, the option is very difficult to stop. The downfall of the option is the turnover, which had a lot to do with Skyline's 17-14 loss to Hurricane (3 fumbles, 2 INT), 31-24 loss to Olympus (2 fumbles, 2 INT), and 24-17 loss to Cottonwood (fumble returned for TD). Air Force seems to do just fine with the option as indicated by their recent drubbing of BYU.

• mbskyalm Murray, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:13 p.m.

I still stand by what i said.You do have an excellent point though.then why dont they get someone better to run the option.i find it hard to believe that they are so depleted on talent that is all they have.I would have made changes after the oly game. im just curios what are the stat's for the games they won.It seems to me with all the speed they have the spred could be more effective.And without a strong back to plow up the middle maybe find someone to take it to the air which i have not seen this year.Granted i have only been to the Homecoming game which was a complete joke and i try to follow as much as i can through the paper.I just want my eagle's to return to the glory days of winning and not the butt of jokes as it seem like they are today.

• Bulldog8 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:31 p.m.

Anybody who wants to read a good piece of journalism about this whole incident should go read the article that ran in the sports section of the Trib today. I usually prefer the DN coverage of prep sports over the Trib but this article was just ridiculous. Go read the article in the trib where the writer actually reports the facts objectively and without an apparent bias.
    I don't know where the writer (DN) got the idea that this happened at halftime! Everyone needs to stop saying that Skyline isn't safe and needs better facilities for visiting teams because I know exactly where opposing teams go at Skyline during halftime and there ARE bathrooms there. Poor decision by any HS player to leave the sidelines during a game I would never do that in my playing days.

• Kipp Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 2:53 p.m.

Dear Eagle Parent,

You stand firm in your belief that Skyline is a class act. You brought up your coach's excellent record both on the field and off. This was the past. Maybe this is just an off year, but he and the administration have lost control.

In a previous post, you brought up the loss to Oly. I'd like to remind you about a couple of points to that game. Did you forget what happened at the end of the game? Did you forget their starting tail back ripping off the Oly player's helmet? Did you forget about Skyline, being led by an assistant coach, rushing Oly's sideline? Did you forget about the thousands of dollars of vandalism to Oly's facilities? What happened to the Eagle players caught for the vandalism? Slap on the wrist? Does not sound much like class or integrity.

I respect Skyline. I always have. But the above coupled with the latest incident with Cottonwood has given them a black eye that will take some time to remedy.

• Duchesne Dan-O Duchesne, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 3:03 p.m.

EagleParent - sounds as if some these threads have struck a nerve. One point you made has struck one within me. Maybe it's because I am jealous of their success, but I am not particulary fond of Skyline. But you bring up a goal of a GPA that is higher than the state's standards. Guess what, most programs have similar "goals." Is it a standard used by Skyline or merely a goal?

Not that I would ever cheer for either team, but I'm going to the Skyline Cyprus game to cheer loud and proud for the Pirates (I have a feeling most of Utah will be cheering for them too).

• schmertle Kanab, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 3:19 p.m.

"Sad embarrassing situation but like I said before Skyline is taking way to much heat for this, probably just because of the OLY incident earlier in the season."

Just how much is too much heat when a visiting player is attacked at your school? Are you suggesting that there are extenuating circumstances that would allow for a visitor, whether a spectator or player, to be attacked?

Regardless of what the player was doing, looking for the locker room, looking for a bathroom or looking for a hotdog, or when it happened, before, during or after halftime, this kind of incident cannot be allowed or trivialized.

Call it what it is. A black mark for HS sports that occurred at Skyline. You want to exonerate yourself? Find the perps and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. Not just at Skyline but at all high schools.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 1:01 p.m.

Apparently Coach Dupaix needs to emphasize some of these rules to his players. From personal experience, I can say the "don't trash talk" rule isn't being observed by ALL of his players.
    Please note that I'm not saying the majority of his players, much less all of them, misbehave.
    But everyone who dons a school's uniform becomes a representative of that school. If they want their school to be looked on in a good light, they need to behave in a manner that will reflect well upon their school.
    This sort of incident could have happened at any school. That it happened at Skyline makes the school look bad even though the vast majority of Skyline supporters would never do such a thing.
    I hope that the Cottonwood player makes a full and speedy recovery and that we see no other incidents like this.

• Goos Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 4:56 p.m.

Though by no means do I know the entire story, I would like to make a few comments:

1. The actions of four people, who were very likely not even from the school should not hurt a school's reputation this badly. Please don't makes such obvious generalizations. Even if they were from Skyline, they were four out of how many? And anyway, they were on the visitors' side and (I heard) do not match skyline students from the description given by Lo himself.

2. The egg thing is, if not a downright lie, quite exaggerated, I believe. I have not heard about it from anywhere else.

3. Security cameras only make everyone but maybe a few feel much less safe, exchanging a lot of personal freedom and privacy for a little bit of security. And they're expensive. It's debatable, I guess, but I personally don't feel that it is worth it at all.

4. No matter what you do, things like this will happen...and they could happen anywhere. This doesn't mean that Skyline shouldn't do something about this, but it does mean that they shouldn't be blamed nearly as much.