Family

Author offers 6 tips to make writing more interesting

Comments

• LuVePacifica SaltLakeCity, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2010 4:39 p.m.

My life is one big chapter'of where it all begin'
    thanks for the article would be,of
    great interest.
    As to write a small novel of where it all started with in family tree of ours..

• Ethel Lindon, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 6:16 a.m.

This is a great article. I look forward to the workshop and or reading the book mentioned. Thank you. I am a blogger and always looking for ways to improve and bring interest into what I write. I love doing stories for my personal and family history. Thank you.

• Kitenoa Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 7:19 a.m.

My mother will turn 93 years young this October 2010. She still walks the hallways at home although gingerly. She is the last evacuee from her village still living after a volcanic eruption tore through her village home some 81 years ago.

I was looking for someone to write her life story, then these writing 6 tips shows up. Now I am encouraged to write the story myself. I may even surprise myself and family.

• Stephen Kent Ehat Lindon, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 7:44 a.m.

The Benjamin Franklin quotation has been a favorite of mine since the early 1970s, when I quoted it as a frontispiece to a volume of my personal journals. Hence, it was easy to recognize two miniscule items in the quotation of Mr. Franklin's words (the "or rotten" phrase and the definite article before the last gerund).

For those of you who want to remember the clause accurately, here it is, corrected: "If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading or do things worth the writing."

His self-composed epitaph also is worth remembering:

Here lies the body of
    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, PRINTER,
    Like the cover of an old book,
    Deprived of its lettering and gilding,
    And food for worms;
    But the work itself shall be not lost;
    For, it will, as he believed,
    Appear again, in a new
    And more beautiful edition,
    Corrected and amended
    By the
    AUTHOR.

• Stephen Kent Ehat Lindon, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 7:53 a.m.

The self-styled epitaph also is recorded thus:

The Body of
    B. Franklin
    Printer;
    Like the Cover of an old Book,
    Its Contents torn out,
    And stript of its Lettering and Gilding,
    Lies here, Food for Worms.
    But the Work shall not be wholly lost:
    For it will, as he believ'd, appear once more,
    In a new & more perfect Edition,