Utah

Deseret News set to lead, innovate

Plan includes staff cuts, new business model and 7-day print publication

Comments

• Richard
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:45 a.m.

good paper tough time to be paper.

• ProvoAggie
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:49 a.m.

The Deseret News has been my go to site for High School and Aggie sports coverage for a long time. I hope that we don't lose the great people who provide that coverage. Especially Jared Eborn. I really enjoy reading his stuff and if he's gone then I think I will be too.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:50 a.m.

DNews,

It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the memories.

• lin
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:51 a.m.

So are any columnists getting the axe? I like Scott Pierce and Ann Cannon. What will happen to them.

• So. Cal Reader
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:51 a.m.

A newspaper company making reductions. Simply a sign of the times in this electronic news oriented society.

• NewsJunkie
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:54 a.m.

WOW, these are some exciting changes. As much as I hate so see people loose their jobs, I can't not fault the DN for doing so, as I hardly ever read a printed version anymore. I am really excited for the changes though and hope that the quality of the paper only increases and not get one-sided in case that the Trib folds.

• Had Enough
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:55 a.m.

Wow. "Lead and innovate" apparently is a new way to say "Slash and burn". Too bad for the 100 folks who just lost their jobs today. And a leader in online news? You've got a LOT of ground to cover just to try and catch up. The DNews is WAY behind the curve on this one.

• SandyJane
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Clark Gilbert's press release on the matter attempts to maintain the public trust by saying "The vision and direction has drawn from industry leaders". He then quotes "nationally recognized new media leader" Clayton Christensen, but doesn't reveal that Clayton is one of Clark's longtime buddies. Bad form, sir.

• The Authority
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:59 a.m.

Sounds great ... except how do you innovate and do better by cutting your workforce almost in half? Sounds like a nightmare for the employees, who are going to be told "we expect more from you, but we're taking your resources away."

• thelogicalone
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:00 a.m.

It's sad that being so innovative and creative comes at the cost of dozens of jobs affecting hundreds of people in the community. Good luck to all of you.

• h3tec
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:00 a.m.

How many of those let go are close to retirement age ? It seems like they always get hit !

• newspapergrl
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:02 a.m.

As a huge long-time subscriber and fan of newspapers this is tough news. My heart goes out to people losing their jobs - esp. in this economy.

I wish there were internet marketers on the new board. I'm curious if the Deseret Connect model is a paid model or if it's like the Examiner where people write for traffic (which ends up being nothing). Or, will they be paid for content? I'd like to see a hybrid of both.

Also, I want to interview someone about this for my blog Newspapergrl. Please have them contact me janet at onlineprbook dot com

-Janet

• mp558
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:03 a.m.

This is unbelievable depressing news. Nearly 100 people lost work today. And you expect us to believe that the paper will "increase in-depth coverage from the organization's strong journalists on relevant issues." That's a lie, plain and simple. There will be less news. There will be shorter stories. There will be less editing, less copy editing. There will be more mistakes. I'm not sure what is sadder -- that a group of fine people lost work today -- or that this newspaper thinks its readers are so stupid that they can spin this as a positive development. Shame, shame.

• Pertti Felin
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:05 a.m.

I just wonder whether the reductions could not have not been done through attrition instead of firing. My heart goes out for those who are losing their jobs.
    As for the other points in the article: I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of this all.

• Teeny
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:06 a.m.

I am thrilled with this " Deseret" news! Maybe we can detach ourselves from the canned news of the rest of the country and concentrate on the truth as it occurs. I have been a reader since the 1940's and love my DN. I feel that this is the right way to go. My heart goes out to those who will lose jobs. That is never good news. My best to all the new and old staff. A loyal Orem reader.

• desertsage
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:08 a.m.

I know something had to be done, but OUCH! My best wishes to long time friends at the D-News that may be out of work now.

I predicted a merger of newsrooms between broadcast and print concerns owned and operated by the LDS Church.

The "new journalist" that emerges from this combination of mediums will need to be incredibly versatile compared to the "journalist of old." It's a brave new world and we can only hope that the ethics of the fact checking, truth sharing, insight providing journalist survive the change.

• mp558
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:11 a.m.

The audacity to spin this as a positive development -- which will "increase in-depth coverage from the organization's strong journalists on relevant issues" -- is astounding and insulting. This means fewer stories. Shorter stories. Less ambitious stories. Stories from unpaid, untrained "experts." It's horrible news and we, the reader, will pay the price.

• Utah Non-Mormon
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:17 a.m.

"Changes in the industry" are not the cause of your newspaper's demise. Deseret News is a propaganda tool for the Mormon Church that pushes its agenda (i.e., anti-gay rhetoric and all the associated false science of gay being a choice) and filters the news to protects the church's image and to further the church's agenda. People in Utah are not stupid. Even members of the "church" are waking up to the facts and changing their subscriptions to the Salt Lake Tribute or ready the real unbiased and independent newspaper City Weekly. As the church continues to lose membership your newspaper will continue to lose subscribers and advertisers. I look forward to the day when both disappear.

• fromSTL
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:17 a.m.

These are tough decisions, though I think on balance, current management in the USA tends to discount the long-term value of human resources.
    The D-News also needs to add balance (and speed) to their reporting, especially on issues relating to the church. I'm LDS myself and I follow the Deseret News electronically from St. Louis, but when I want to hear the other side of the story I feel like I have to go to the Tribune too. I would like to see the paper more vigorously address the challenge of presenting more than one side to the news without compromising their preferred editorial positions. Also I really hope they upgrade "Church News" so that the editorials are worth reading and so that it is truly "Church News" not "Church Olds". Then maybe I would subscribe to it.

• Emily
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Well, all I can think to say is best wishes to all the D-News staff today. This has been a long time coming, but that doesn't make it any easier. Even those who hang on to their jobs are going to have a rough transitioning period ahead. Good luck to all of you.

• CB
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:20 a.m.

Sorry to hear of this reduction and the integration with KSL. We've ceased to listen to KSL because of the PC movement we perceive. Hope DesNews doesn't go further in that direction.

• Not_Scared
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:20 a.m.

"Sounds great ... except how do you innovate and do better by cutting your workforce almost in half?"

Every farmers knows eating his seed corn increased yields.

• Hanksboy
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:22 a.m.

News has become a commodity that is in plentiful supply, spreading the market and sending ad revenues plummeting. Ergo, innovation like the D News is announcing today. (It probably also helps its sister, KSL.) I feel sorry for those who are being shown the door but wish the D News well; this market needs at least two first-rate newspapers and robust journalism.

• GWB
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:25 a.m.

See what Obama did now!!! He is even driving Conservative Newspapers out of business.

I feel sorry for those employees who are losing their jobs.

Perhaps a new model for Journalists should be that they are created as non-profit organizations who are dedicated to reporting events rather than returning a profit to their owners.

• Older Reader
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:25 a.m.

I hope with all of this innovation the DN can provide current news in a timely manner and not history which s days old. Combining news staffs makes a lot of sense but cutting half the print staff doesn't seem reasonable. Were there too many workers to begin with?

• Let's be real
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:25 a.m.

This is a tough economy to find a job. I know because I am a highly educated person looking for a job for a few years now. Nobody will take a look at me because they are not hiring or I am "over-qualified." Please make sure to give anybody you are discarding a very good exit package because they deserve it. DN is the best in the world and making this decision will place you in the spotlight for not only cutting edge but what you do with your leftover people that have been serving us for so long.

• Cougar Blue
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:25 a.m.

"expand it's reach and influence throughout the world." If so, how?

• nate4628
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:26 a.m.

The changes you are making are business decisions but the reasons I quite taking the newspaper as a printed deliver was because of the delivery. The newspaper has yet to improve the delivery at the house. If the weather was stormy I could expect to find the newspaper on a puddle of water or in the snow without a water resistant cover. All of the papers I could not find during the winter would show up out on the lawn as the snow melted in the spring because they were thrown into the snow before it was removed from the driveway or sidewalk.

I also find the bias of the paper revolting. Every issue addressed will have a bias generally toward liberalism and/or environmentalists. I prefer to make my own decisions about issues. I prefer to receive balance coverage of issues similar to PBS Jim Lear.

I receive three Deseret News electronic publications each morning. However, I read more KSL news because I find their classifieds to be a better draw that presents the news on the home page and catches my interest to read.

• Madden
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:27 a.m.

Very sad, but something impossible to avoid with today's print news industry trends. Best to deal with it early and keep the business healthy than wait too long.

Best of luck to those impacted by the job losses. The new media of websites and blogs keeps growing, we hope you land on your feet there or somewhere else where you can be successful.

• firstamendment
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:28 a.m.

Maybe we should have read more.

• quester
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:32 a.m.

As a long-time reader of the DNews and the Trib, I would like nothing more than to see the Trib step up to the plate and show the Mormon-owned media that you can be competitive and creative without blood all over your hands. I hope the Tribune will consider ways it could hire some of the 43 casualties of the Deseret News and create an even more powerful news hybrid with perhaps with KUTV and emerging online resources. It would also be wonderful those 43 would tell their stories about what's really been going one behind the scenes.

• caleb in new york
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:33 a.m.

Will there be a list posted of who was laid off? Or do we have to find out by noticing who never does a story anymore?

• Ronald Fox
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:35 a.m.

The only thing in life that is constant is change.

It was once said change or die, and die you will if you do not change as the world changes.

I am sorry for those who are effected by this change.

Our world is technology driven and the way we get our news, pay our bills, and do our shopping is all in flux as new ways are established and accepted by the people.

These changes must have been driven by changes in public subscription & classified ad purchases and the purchasing of placement ads by business. Not to speak of rising costs of man and materials.

Let us all hope that these changes will deliver a better product to the reader, on line or in print, and that a better informed public results.

It's now up to us as the public to support our newspapers, and other media, for if it goes down, it would be terrible for community & society.

(I want to disclose that I volunteer for the Deseret News photo archive story each week)

• MapleDon
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:39 a.m.

Sarah Jane, thanks for all your good work. You're fired!

(Best wishes to all those losing their jobs.)

How twisted can we get with our wording? Sorry, but firing people and consolidating operations isn't innovative. It's been done for centuries. Other newspapers are doing it as well.

It isn't leadership either.

It's called survival.

Sales and ad revenue are in the tank. You can't afford the utilities and feeding 43% of the mouths at the table. In order to survive, you kick the older family members out of the house and move in with your brother.

To save face, you tell everyone that you're leading and innovating and in the process improving your reach and influence throughout the world.

Yeah. Sure. Right.

This is a reality check. You're not, you're not, you're not, and you're not. The truth is, you're hoping to survive.

• souptwins
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:41 a.m.

My biggest concerns are-- 1st for the great journalists losing jobs. I know many of these people and worry about their future. 2nd for the public at large. Are we losing a public watchdog over our political leaders and legislature? I feel we've sadly come to the point where MORE oversight is needed not less. The list of values doesn't seem to emphasize the need for journalistic ethics and values. Feeling let down and perhaps a bit betrayed.

• Logan Dunn
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:44 a.m.

@newspapergrl Clark will take interviews today via phone. I will send you the phone number on Twitter.

@HadEnough and @mp558 To clarify, it was 57 full-time employees and 28 part-time employees.

@lin We don't have a list of people laid off. Ann Cannon was mentioned in the press release as staying, but it's up to individuals affected to share that information as they see fit.

• geewiz
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:46 a.m.

I hope combining with KSL teaches those KSL "reporters" a thing or to. I have never been impressed with KSL's coverage, I find it shallow and lazy. There are some really great reporters and photographers at the DN, who I have a lot of respect for. Hope they stay on.

• Timpman
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:46 a.m.

As a sports junkie, I hope that the D-News can continue to cover and promote high school sports. It has always provided quantity and quality that can be found in no other paper.
    I have been a D-News fan since my youth, as a paper carrier. I am hoping this move will leverage the strengths of both news organizations!

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:50 a.m.

this is a joke. this will fail. not surprisingly, I sent in a comment criticizing it and it was censored.

• marxist
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:53 a.m.

I've been pretty hard on the D-News from time to time, but I think it has been a pretty decent paper. Now the D-News joins show biz. I expect this is the end of serious journalism at your place. Just entertainers and MBA's now. Thanks for your consideration through the years.

• ValiantDefender
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:54 a.m.

If this means more cut and paste articles from the Associated Press, then it means a serious downturn in quality of content. I was dismayed to see the Restoring Honor event on 8/28 was a cut and paste article by the AP. The AP's slant is definitely to the left and it seems odd that a UT newspaper (on of the most conservative states) would have a left leaning newspaper.

Also, why read the DN, if I get the same articles from the AP?

• Hallsy
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:58 a.m.

The Obama stimulus is working great . . .

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:00 p.m.

@ Logan Dunn

why doesn't Clark Gilbert face the music and actually face us, the readers?

• I_Love_America
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:01 p.m.

What this means is they will simply cut and paste their articles from the main news organizations. means that the mainstream media will have more power and control of our news. I suppose it is like this already but it will get worse

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:03 p.m.

another joe cannon success story!

• newslady
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:04 p.m.

On one hand, this is tragic because so many wonderful journalists are losing their jobs.

On the other hand, this is an interesting experiment in journalism.

When the rumors were swirling around about this layoff, one of the theories floating around was that some of the journalists might be replaced with bloggers covering their local communities.

If this is the case, then the newspaper management might be thinking that the bloggers could cover the micro-local news (that news consumers want and need) and the reporters could write the beautiful literary in-depth stories.

If this is the case, then the challenge at this point will be to find a revenue model that will compensate the various parties fairly.

At some point, advertisers are going to have to realize that advertisements on Internet news sites are currently underpriced and that they will need to pay more to advertise on these sites.

However, while we catapult into the future of news, I think that it is good to mourn the journalists who are leaving. My heart goes out to them at this time.

It would be great if, in the future, this news model opens up opportunities for more journalists.

• TedsPal
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:06 p.m.

Maybe this will do some good, maybe not, but I am a bit skeptical. Both of our major newspapers here need some objectivity. The Trib generally offers higher-quality news reporting. For instance, just today, their story about the slain Mormon bishop in CA had more detail than anything I read in the DN. And that is typical of the Trib. But I LOATHE the Trib's obsession with all things anti-establishment.

The DN is LDS-focused, which is only to be expected, but it could really use some balance, along with some good, old-fashioned high-quality news reporting. Some of their columns/blogs are just plain silly. The quality of the DN website is great, though--far better than the Trib's, especially with the Trib's recent online "improvements," which weren't improvements at all.

Changes are definitely needed all around and I hope the DN succeeds and continues to tweak things as progress is made.

Oh, and to "Utah Non Mormon", sheesh! With your TOXIC attitude, why don't you pack up and move somewhere where you might actually be happy? Isn't that better than living amongst people you so obviously hate??

• Flashback
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:11 p.m.

The D-News lost me as a subscriber when they switched to mornings. I can't stand not having up to date news. When they printed in the afternoon, some of the news was fresh. With overnight, it is stale. If I want stale and inane news, I'll read the City Weekly. The D-News ought to go back to afternoons.

KSL is in the middle of a PC movement with their dumping of Hannity. The Deseret News seems to be headed in that direction. I like a little controversy. These days the D-News wouldn't publish Jack Anderson.

• huggyface
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:14 p.m.

I am sorry to those that are losing thier jobs. I hope they find something else soon.

I read the comments here and it seems that people think the purpose of a business is to create jobs (That's not the government's job either!). The purpose of a business is to provide a product or service that someone is willing to pay you to receive. If you do it well, customers will return.

It's not news that subscriptions to print newspapers have been declining as more people get it online. If you are in the newspaper business, or printing business, you must be extremely competitive/productive/innovative (meaning - getting the most for the least cost - or fewer people).

I don't have a problem with a business changing their model to keep up the the changing times.

I'm glad the DN doesn't charge for online subscriptions for access to the news, like many other papers across the nation.

• baddog
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:15 p.m.

The real news is that the DNews has been able to hang on as long as it has with traditional news dissemination.

The economy is sour all over the U.S. Lay-offs are happening in many places. The DNews move may be more a preemptive strike to avoid more drastic measures by trying to hang on with a traditional business model.

I disagree that news is slanted by the DNews. Having been a long-time reader of both the News and the Trib, I can firmly attest that the bias comes very frequently from the Trib, particularly when the Trib editors think they can give the LDS Church a black eye.

• TRUTH
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:25 p.m.

Hallsy...HAHAHAHAH

Leave it to the Obama Admin to find a silver lining in this story! Forgetting the fact that 85 lost their jobs, Obama would take credit for the 114 SAVED JOBS!!

• HeroofCanton
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:32 p.m.

It is sad that people had to lose their jobs today, in this economy especially. Maybe the D-News should have polled their readers to find out which columnists were not that well followed and let that play a hand in who was let go versus random layoffs. Maybe they did and I missed it. Either way, terrible news to have to print.

• hepfam
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Thanks for reminding to about tightening our financial belts.I will be saving money too when I cancel my subscription. it goes both ways. Sorry about those who loose their jobs, but maybe fire more management, not front line workers who actually produce unlike management who sit shuffling papers for big money.

• BlueFly
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:41 p.m.

The reason is not that "the internet sapped ad sales." It is because there is a rising generation(s) that don't "get" newspapers. THe model of "advertising surrounded by news" is antiquated as a business model for the current generation of movers and shakers. But in the meantime, the internet is not making money on ads. Why aren't news sites successful with their ads? They are not. There is no way to make money on the internet via advertising. Button and banner ads are ignored to a degree that can hardly be calculated....far more ignored than print ads, for example. It simply that the presentation model of sending out information changed so drastically so fast that print media lost out. Ad sales was only a teeny bit of the problem. That 21-year-old has probably never read a newspaper, feels no need to read a newspaper and to blame it on ad sales is not accurate. (There's a lot of other things the 21-year-old doesn't "get," too, but that's another rant.)

• the-buzz
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:46 p.m.

How do we get Mr. Cannon's eamil to give input on how to make the paper better? He may be in the mood to listen about how? Or where can we give input besides the "your comment" page?

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:50 p.m.

@hepfam

could not have said it better myself.

• Morgan Duel
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:51 p.m.

• the-buzz
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:56 p.m.

I'm going to the trib and see what they are saying about this and see if I can add to the comment board. they're less contolling. ps karma and if it's working real good... you'll be one of those gone.. I'll try tomorrow or once the change has taken place, in meantime I'll email Mr. Cannon.

• Elgabacho
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:58 p.m.

The worst part of this is the news that DN's newsroom is combining with KSL's.

• the-buzz
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:58 p.m.

I agree with Morgan Duel, well put.

• Logan Dunn
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:58 p.m.

@big_ben: why doesn't Clark Gilbert face the music and actually face us, the readers?

He will! At 3:00pm today you can ask any question you want via Twitter. Use the hashtag #DNewsQ to ask/follow the conversation.

@ValiantDefender

CEO Clark Gilbert will talk more about Deseret Connect over the next few days. This is our answer to high-quality, relevant content on a regular basis.

@TedsPal

We are committed to providing quality content and more of it! By integrating our newsroom with KSL, we are creating the largest newsroom in the state. This gives us more reporters on the ground and frees up some of our best journalists to provide more in-depth coverage. KSL and Deseret News will still remain separate entities. Our editorial advisory board, with representatives from across the nation, will provide high-quality content and insight. Additionally, our new content network, Deseret Connect, will allow us to gather content from experts around the world.

• ipr
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:00 p.m.

Maybe the DN should ask for a subscription for the online version. I'd be willing to pay it. And maybe we can get rid of some very nasty commenters at the same time ...

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:00 p.m.

The Salt Lake Tribune announced this over a week ago.

• Pengwyn
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:01 p.m.

"Our readers have been clear that they want more than information," Gilbert continued. "They crave and deserve insight, context and thought leadership relevant to the events and issues of the day from sources they trust."

"Thought leadership"???!!?

Sounds like they have chosen to abandon their role in the Fourth Estate and be more like Fox News or MSNBC. How sad for DNews that they can feel they can only survive if they spoon feed their readers "insight, context and thought leadership."

It seems that objective, ethical journalism is the real victim today. The displaced journalists will find it hard to find journalism jobs as newspapers forego providing impartial information in search of profits. We only have ourselves to blame given the riches bestowed upon the like of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Olberman and Maddow.

• Bountiful Democrat
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:06 p.m.

To the commentor "Utah Non Mormon" - sorry you are so unhappy with Utah. Planes leave SLC Airport every 5 minutes, I suggest you get on one.
    Deseret News has had virtually no Business section for years, and is clearly slanted to the Right - but, along with the Tribune, they are our town papers. Would we be better if the two combined?

I'm sorry the advertisers dollars and demise of Classified ads have devastated the business. I applaud the continued On-line effort, and would support more advertisers or an on-line fee to generate better and more news.

• mkSdd3
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:08 p.m.

The whole news paper business model has to change. This change is inevitable for all news organization. However I don't like it when people try to spin bad news into something good. It just seems so disingenuous to me. These changes were necessary, but it will not be for the better. Reduced resources can't create better product.

Other papers that reduced their resources just turned to the AP to get their stories. This leads to one source of news and information. NOT a good thing.

This will result in the same stories being played at D-New, SL Trib, KSL TV, and KSL Radio. Where do you go to get different stories or a different view.

• Minermom
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:09 p.m.

Attention Provo Daily Herald: It looks like there might be some quality newspaper reporters on the market! Now would be a great time to upgrade.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:12 p.m.

At the Deseret News, we choose to lead and innovate.

That's because the Mormon Church backs the paper, if it gets in the red.

It's a win win for the paper.

• Tlingit
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:14 p.m.

Wow.

A lot of good people and their families' lives have been thrown into turmoil, and still, all these trolls can think do is warp the news into new opportunities to take shots at the Church. Tsk tsk.

It is LAUGHABLE that chronically toxic critics like this think THEY are in a position to decry bias!

At any rate...

It will be interesting to see how the changes manifest in DN.

Best wishes to all those affected by the layoffs. Hopefully you can land on your feet and find a good situation.

• bettercomments
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:14 p.m.

I'm really looking forward to the new format actually. There's so much more they can do with a big integrated news organization and with the Deseret Connect thing. Looks like that is going to enable even MORE hyper-local coverage for high school sports, etc. I for one welcome the new model. I do hope the staff let go today will find their next calling in life sooner rather than later. Likely generous severance, plus 96 weeks of unemployment from uncle sam goes a long way.

• shamrock
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:21 p.m.

I'm not sure which is more distressing--all those terrific reporters losing their jobs, or the contorted and Orwellian language in which the announcement was made. This is "spin" taken to a whole new (sickening) level.

• Happy Valley Hillbilly
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:22 p.m.

It is unfortunate that DN management has chosen to partner with KSL, a formerly stellar news organization that is now but a shadow of its former
    highly competant self. The standard operating procedure there now is the "happy talk" format carefully laced with political correctness at every turn.

• SoCalUtahFan
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:24 p.m.

Improve the internet version...you have many readers nationwide, including one in Southern California...:)

Good lucks!!!

• jazzbball
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:24 p.m.

How embarrassing for those people commenting on here for the mere purpose of pushing their bigotry towards the LDS church.

The church and the DNews weren't somehow immune to the economy issues.

Keep your anti-mormon rhetoric to yourself. You're about the only person who cares about your opinion.

• Katoonka
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:30 p.m.

I agree with jpr.

I'd be willing to pay for online content also, especially if paid content readers could choose to only read the comments of others who were willing to pay for online content.

It may not weed out all the whiners but at least we'd smile at the fact that the whiners were paying for the privelege.

At least consider making that an option.

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:39 p.m.

@Logan Dunn

and the spin machine continues! all this talk of having so many reporters, and yet because of the actions of a few, 100 people are out of jobs today. These are HUMAN BEINGS who need an income to survive. Cut the garbage of positive spin.

• Not_Scared
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:39 p.m.

The Obama stimulus is working great . . . Check the recovery website and see all the money and jobs its brought to Utah. What do you think those construction workers are doing paid for by this money?

Yes this is a conservative paper owned by a church. I'm surprise what they let go on here.

It's never those who ruin something who pay. It's those below them. It always comes down to leadership. Your employees never fail unless you have failed them.

The real problem is when you have a change in technology and those who can't understand it are tasked to implement it.

It's my humble opinion that this newspaper has the ability to morph into something much better. It's not happening any time soon because they still don't get it.

• Herbert & Ernie
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:44 p.m.

Well, this is the last scoop you'll ever get. Enjoy combining with KSL to get scooped at every turn by Ben Winslow at Fox.

Also, nice press release. If this is the kind of journalism we can expect from the new, "improved" DNews, I'll take my web traffic over to the Trib before they disappear, too.

Best of luck to all the reporters losing their jobs. Those of you who I know have a beer and a shot coming your way.

• HoboJoe
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:45 p.m.

I applaud the DN for getting out of the manufacturing businees in order to stay in and grow their news business. DN has done a phenomenal job if they've grown their print readership 20%--the AZ Republic has lost readership consistently although the population has grown drastically in their service area. It all comes down to content. Provide valuable content and you will thrive.

• Evets
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:51 p.m.

I just hope that this means less canned stories that I can read anywhere and more original stories. I will be looking for the in-depth stories and hopefully they will be like the WSJ type.
    I stopped subscribing to the print version of the DN years ago and switched to the WSJ because of the quality of reporting. WSJ gave me original content instead of some canned liberal AP article.
    Also over the years DN had become more and more liberal to the point I really wonder why the church even puts up with it. If I wanted that type of reporting I would of subscribed to the SL Trib.
    So please, DN, get back down to basic LDS community values (and I am not talking about those found in the Avenues). Remember your roots.

• TripleCrown
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:57 p.m.

I agree with EVERYTHING TedsPal said!

• TripleCrown
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:00 p.m.

I agree with everything TedsPal said.

P.S. DN- Why does capitalizing one word (everything) violate a rule against "excessive" capitalization and thus disqualifies me from posting my comment? Ridiculous!

• AST
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:05 p.m.

Print journalism can't compete with the internet, it will have to be phased out. Meanwhile, if people want to read what's coming from the AP or other wire services, there are other sites that provide that content. Why should the DMN pay for content it doesn't originate. Use links.

The reason to read the DN is for local news and especially the message of the LDS Church. Columnists are fine, but many of the best voices in the nation are bloggers, many of whom are journalists.

• Christy77
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:12 p.m.

Deseret News readers want "thought leadership?" Just what, exactly, is that? It sounds like something that might have co-existed with the former Soviet Union.

• Dachsatian
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:25 p.m.

The article states: "Print readership of the Deseret News grew by 20 percent in 2009, the highest growth rate of any newspaper in the country." The DNews has INCREASED their print sales and they respond by letting many talented and loyal employees go and placing a higher workload on the remaining journalists. That just doesn't make sense. Don't make any assumptions about severance packages either. The 28 part-time employees certainly won't get them and there's no guarantee for the 47 full-timers either. Don't forget that those same employees maintained the net content as well. I suspect that we'll see a huge decrease in coverage and quality. No matter how they try to spin this - it's not a positive change. This is a heartbreaking day and my thoughts are with the many employees and their families today.

• the-buzz
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:29 p.m.

@tripleCrown

if it weren't that it'd be something else. It happens to me all the time. They want the job to be easier not better..

• the-buzz
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:30 p.m.

@tripleCrown

• the-buzz
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:31 p.m.

@tripleCrown

• Fast Aggie
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:48 p.m.

Just hear Jared Eborn was let go. I will be cancelling my subscription today.

• magpielovely
    Aug. 31, 2010 3:56 p.m.

Please. PLEASE. Stop using the catchphrase "thought leadership" immediately. It makes my stomach turn. It makes me want to end all contact with DN and KSL immediately, and I'm otherwise a happy, reliable Mormon. You are not my "thought leaders."

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:04 p.m.

Word is that they are going to ask some people stay and help with the transition process and then they will be let go. Its not me, and Im sure these people are looking at this realistically, but if someone told me that I was being fired and I would need to stay on just to help them transition, I would kindly tell them to jump in a lake and then id leave.

• Belching Cow
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:10 p.m.

@Morgan Duel
    "Maybe now the Deseret News will begin to report the truth as it should and not skew it as most of the media has in the past 10 years."

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm tired of liberal media skewing everything as well.

• Esquire
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:10 p.m.

@GWB and others: It's Obama's fault? Who knew he controlled everything in the world. You people need to get a life.

I hope the new DesNews moves beyond being a voice for the right wing.

• magpielovely
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Please. Stop using the catchphrase "thought leadership." For the love. It makes my stomach turn. I don't need anyone from DN or KSL "leading" my thoughts. What is this? Hypno-journalism? It's disgusting, didactic, and condescending.

The leaders of this change at DN/KSL are also clearly missing one of the fundamental shifts in new media: you don't "lead" audiences anywhere we don't already want to go. I get my information from a reliable pool of bloggers (who told me weeks ago that this DN layoff was coming, btw), the AP or Reuters, and the mainstream media. I read more than a dozen of these sources nearly every day and then, all on my own, decide for myself what I think approximates the truth. There's no way I would depend on one biased source for my "thought" and I can't imagine depending on anyone in the media to "lead" me anywhere.

• martroon
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:45 p.m.

i find it really insulting when executives claim they are going to "lead and innovate" by cutting jobs. find a news organization in the united states that has gotten better after it has cut 40 percent of its staff. most of them are so thin they aren't worth reading, either in print or online.

• Belching Cow
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:49 p.m.

@Esquire
    "I hope the new DesNews moves beyond being a voice for the right wing."

You obviously haven't read to many stories in the Des News. Many of them have a strong liberal bias.

• Ed Meyer
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:53 p.m.

Nothing is more certain than change. I hope DNews can assume the cutting edge leadership role they espouse as opposed to simply suffering a slow death. What I'm envisioning is a technology driven newspaper that addresses Utah's need for news while impacting news coverage within their selected target areas nationwide. That's an ambitious undertaking, but likely the only way for them to survive and even grow. Hats off to those who lost their jobs for a job well done and a happy landing.

• SJ Mom
    Aug. 31, 2010 4:58 p.m.

Why isn't the Tribune having to reinvent itself? There is more to this than they are telling us.

• Dexter
    Aug. 31, 2010 5:17 p.m.

The best move was to get Joe Cannon out of Dodge.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:08 p.m.

The Detroit News has been publishing print editions only two days a week for over a year now.

The only difference, besides the fact that the DN is still a daily paper, is that the Trib loves to mock way more than the Free Press does.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:17 p.m.

What they need is to accept that being the best in Utah is not good enough. The DN has not arrived, and so it can not rest on its laurels.

How does DN website traffic compare to other newspapers across the country? I do not know, but to be more successful, it needs to consider what such figures would mean.

I am glad that Gilbert recognizes this is a hard decision. Still, the classified ads and even non-classified ads migration away from the newspaper to other formats is not going to be reversed.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:19 p.m.

I just hope that the comment moderation sections of the DN and KSL do not merge. The DN still in my view too narrowly defines "offensive" and at times "off-topic" is stretched, but I would say that they avoid many of the problems of the KSL comments, so keeping them seperate at least for now will be a good thing.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:25 p.m.

mp558,
    I assume the people being let go are classified ad processors. There is no indication that writers are being let go.

It is odd how some people assume that everything someone connected with the Deseret News says is a lie.

At what point does saying "you are a liar" become abusive? I think this is an issue the moderators need to consider more indepth.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:29 p.m.

To fromSTL,
    Why go to the Trib. It is just a bunch of hate filled lies, spun in ways that have no accuracy. I mean, one time the National Inquierer sued some of SLT employees to maintain its good name.

Or do you think that the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping was really done by her family members, and B. D. Mitchell is an innocent victim?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:35 p.m.

85 individuals is not 100. The haters sure like to call others "liars" and then be less then accurate with their own figures.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:38 p.m.

It is odd that the haters are so displeased with this and related announcements, when they always seem to have nothing but dislike and anger to express towards the employees of DN.

• Linda Lucas
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:40 p.m.

I am sorry to see a Conservative newspaper fold. Pretty soon, all we will have is Obama-friendly socialist rags.

• TheSpiker
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:57 p.m.

Some of you people really need to get a grip. Do you really think that the DN wants to do this?

Print media is in trouble world wide and has to migrate to electronic to survive. The business model has to change and in the process jobs will be lost.

Some of you show that you don't have a lick of business sense.

I, and many like me, appreciate the DN and will continue to support your company.

• eagle
    Aug. 31, 2010 7:24 p.m.

I guess this all must be done to save the paper or whatever but it's hard to say this will make the paper.

• Humm??
    Aug. 31, 2010 7:49 p.m.

I heard that Jared Eborn got the pink slip. Just when Utah State had good consistent coverage. Jared's information was a big reason I visited the website. I looked today several times for information about the conference shake up and found it strange that he had not posted something. Now I know why. Thanks Jared for the great coverage. Start a blog and I'll subscribe. I'll cancel the rest of my DNews subscription (down to weekends only) and sign up with you.

DNews, how do you plan on covering Utah State now?

• Democrat
    Aug. 31, 2010 8:01 p.m.

I am glad they are keeping the print 7 days a week. Until newspapers learn to profit online, they are signing their death warrants by quitting print. I still prefer print anyway and find it more user friendly in some ways. Kudos to the News in increasing subscriptions by 20%! That is phenomenal. If they can ride out the recession they will find advertisers returning at better rates as they keep their print readership strong.

• DN Subscriber
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:45 p.m.

Change is inevitable. People were unhappy when buggy whip makers got laid off after automobiles came along. The "Iceman" business went bust after electric refrigeration came. See any places selling typewriters any more?

Well, newspapers are becoming just as obsolete, thanks to the internet. Does any one really buy stuff from the DN classifieds any more? Or do they buy off of KSL.com or Craig's list? News- "hear about it now, see it tonight, or read about it tomorrow" ones radio station says, overlooking the fact that you could have read about it on Drudge or Hot Air several hours before hearing it.

No, despite laying off a large number of good workers, the DN is attempting to compete in the new marketplace, and they may be successful. Or, maybe not. In any case they will undoubtedly remain a better product than that spewed by the hate-filled bigots over at brand "T".

I still like to look at the print edition, but have already read most of it on line the night before.

Good luck!

• Reggie
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:36 a.m.

It's not the fault of the readers or the staff. It's the drivel and pablum the management (including Tommy & the Church) fed us. Shame on them. The spin of this article is typical of the management's short-sightedness. They say "All is Well in Zion" while they ravage their staff, and promise "more with less". Good luck DNews, as you continue your slide toward mediocrity and irrelevance.
    Love from,
    19 year subscribers who lapsed in June because they were tired of your bias and insipid editorial direction
    ps: To keep readers or to win them back, maybe you should be relevant and provide what they want. Cutting salaries is what you want. We want relevance and a decent product. If you had either, you wouldn't be destroying the lives of your employees and whining about the "digital age".

• My2Cents
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:59 a.m.

Innovation and change is inevitable, even in how news is reported.

However, do they have to give up our right and their right to a free press? Must they sacrifice their integrity as a news media to convert there purpose to censored news and corruption in government? According to previous press releases they will no longer support a free press, but a censored press to satisfy special interest, government, and corruption among our representatives. They said the DN and its affiliates will no longer be the voice of an impartial news media. They are now in the hands of corporate america to limit what the news may print. It will be a need to know system where the news and information will fall under the cloak of secrecy and a new 3 letter acronym.

The people who will lose their jobs are those who believe in freedom of speech.

• Pete1215
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:52 a.m.

I am surprised news outlets exist at all. We all are enticed by the allure of "free", but one cannot sell dollar bills for 99 cents, at any volume. Math will prevail.

• SoDakota Yote
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:13 a.m.

How can I see a list of those who were laid off?? My Trainer on my mission and a good friend of mine who served in my mission both work for Church News...I hope they were spared....

• jimbo
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:15 a.m.

@ Pertti Felin: Osaatko Suomea? Oletko Pertin sukulainen?
    Why does everyone berate a legitimate business (Deseret News) for making a business decision in order to remain or become profitable. It's a fact of life in this economy.

• Cherilyn Eagar
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:23 a.m.

@Utah Non-Mormon:

Actually, as a Senate candidate, the Tribune gave me much better coverage even as a conservative candidate, while the DNews gave me next to none.

However, to the DNews' credit: These changes are not just a fact of the digital age, but also evidence that economic choices our elected leaders have made are failing us -- such as bailing out failing businesses. Follow the money and you will follow the corruption.

I hope voters will wake up by November 2 and "vote them out," and replace them with leaders of integrity who understand fiscal responsibility and limited government.

I wish the DNews well. I am so sorry for all those who have been caught in this economy and the massive changes in the news world. I am also relieved to know that the DNews did not ask the government for a bailout.

• lonepeak
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:31 a.m.

Love it..."It's Obama's Fault"...not going head-to-head with the Tribune in the morning. As predicted, that strategy didn't work...but it's Obama's fault!!!

• Thomas Jefferson
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:57 a.m.

First thing they should do is get better servers/faster connection because I am sick of waiting for their slow page loads.

• jorge
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:33 a.m.

New economic times and drastic conditions require new innovative solutions. I sincerely wish your newspaper success in making the near-impossible (I'm quite certain) decisions that are and will continue to be made to keep the Deseret News a credible newspaper in Utah and the Inter-mountain West.

• Oh Please
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:59 a.m.

I'm suspicious of a newspaper that represents "values." That usually means one solid conservative voice on the op-ed page. But it's been the way for a long time. So ho-hum, more of the same. Read the Tribune for balanced opinion.

• Allen
    Sept. 1, 2010 10:01 a.m.

I would like to see an age-profile of the DN subscribers over the past 20 years. My guess is that DN subscribers are mostly among the middle-age and older persons. If this is true, it means the DN will cease to be a print newspaper sometime within the next 20 years, depending how soon the older persons who do subscribe die off.

Young people may read a print newspaper because their parents subscribe. The question is, will the young people subscribe when they leave their parent's home? My guess is no.

• Allen
    Sept. 1, 2010 10:10 a.m.

@Cherilyn

"As a church-owned newspaper, I would also hope the the DNews will be more directed toward supporting the church's mission statement and that its own mission statement would reflect that mission, or at least post a strong and bold disclaimer that the news does not represent the church's views."

The DN publishes The Church News, and that part of the paper should support the mission of the Church. I would hope the rest if the DN would not be obligated to support the mission of the Church. I think the only hope for the DN to remain a profitable print paper is to attract younger subscribers, and I think that will happen only if the DN becomes an independent voice that objectively presents both sides of the issues.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:13 a.m.

A Deseret News headline on January 16th, 2010 read "Salt Lake Tribune owner to file bankruptcy" or something to that effect. The Media conglomerate that owns the Salt Lake Tribune has gone through bankruptcy proceedings in the last year, and people act like The Tribune has been unaffected by anything and the DN has been plagued by crisis.

I guess I should be used to double standards. When both the Tribune and the DN have leads on a sotry, it is only the DN that is attacked for not publishing it.

Still, the attempts to make this into an attack the DN for trying to revise its business model to fit 21st century reality instead of nostalgia for the supposed great era of Newspapers which probably never existed in quite the way the nostalgists claim is unfair.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:16 a.m.

Linda Lucas,

• RalphinSL
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:24 p.m.

I currently live in Henderson, Nevada, and read the local newspaper, The Las Vegas Review Journal, which I've found to be a more conservative newspaper than the Deseret News, which used to be that way. It has lost its voice over the years due to leadership chosen along the way, so it's not surprising that it lost readership because the viewpoint was the same as the SL Tribune.

• Geek Dave
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:40 p.m.

I'm a huge Fan of Jeff Vice & Scott Pierce. I've been reading their columns for at least the last 15 years. I find their reviews and opinions on Movies & TV always entertaining. If they are no longer employed by Desnews, I'm gone forever.

• Allen
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:23 p.m.

@John Pack Lambert

"How is the DN folding with an announcement that it will continue to bring out print editions seven days a week?"

Good question. The announcement doesn't guarantee success. It merely means management hopes the announced changes will lead to more subscribers and thus keep the DN a viable print paper. Management apparently believes there are sufficient people who want a daily print paper to keep the DN going as a business. My concern is what happens as the older people who subscribe to DN die off. Will the younger generation subscribe? I'm skeptical they will.

Look at the telephone situation, for example. Younger folks want cell phones and texting and will pay for them, especially for plans that give either high # minutes or unlimited minutes. They recognize there is no need to pay for duplicate phone service. I think they will also decide there is no need to pay for duplicate news service. There are plenty of Internet sources for news.

• Allen
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:38 p.m.

@John Pack

"While the DN is clearly moving aggressively into the realm of electronic media, it is also maintaining a presence in print media."

I think it is the other way around. The DN is moving aggressively in the print media and is maintaining a presence in the electronic media. There is a big difference between the DN having a web site and the DN being an online newspaper. So far, the DN is trying to be in both paper and electronic media, but they aren't trying to be an online newspaper. They just have a web site that publishes the same articles as the print paper. Their focus is on the paper media, and they copy the articles to their web site in an attempt to get more subscribers to the paper newspaper. They still have the high overhead of printing and distributing a paper newspaper.

An exception to this is Mormon Times. I may be wrong, but I don't believe MT is printed on paper. I hope the DN is successful with MT and continues to explore online newspapers. Online is the future, and paper is like horse harnesses.

• Allen
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:09 p.m.

@John Pack Lambert

Just a comment on younger folks wanting cell phones instead of hardwired copper.

I'm a membership clerk in a singles (YSW) ward, and in our list of ward members, we list cell phones and only list parent's phones if no cell phones are available. We have about 260 singles in our ward, and only a few have no cell phone listed in our records; those few aren't active in the ward and don't care about our ward list. All of the active singles have cell phones and use them as their primary phones.

Many of our ward members live with their parents and could use their parent's phones. Instead, they want and have their own cell phones that allow them to text as well as to talk. When those kids move away from their parents, will they pay extra for dedicated copper lines? I think it's unlikely, because our ward members who live away from their parents have their cell phones as their only phones.

Will the attitude of the singles about phones carry over to online newspapers vs. paper newspapers? I think so, but time will tell.

• Allen
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:18 p.m.

While I'm thinking about the DN going online, I thought I'd speculate about that transition. I think that 20 years from now, the need for a paper media will not exist. The question in my mind is what type of transition would the DN need to make to go from its present paper media to an all-electronic media.

Suppose the DN were an online newspaper. Every page, every section of the paper would be online. I'm not an online marketeer, but I assume some sections would be free and some for a subscription. This would satisfy a majority of the people, but some older folks would be left out.

As a temporary thing, suppose the DN published via paper medium a weekly review of the news. No classified. No editorial or reader comments. No movie or TV reviews. No full articles. Just an overview of the week's events. Something like this might satisfy the needs of the older folks who don't have access to the Internet. As the older folks passed on, the need for the review would diminish, and eventually the review could be discontinued.

• Wasatch Al
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:31 p.m.

Layoffs! Does that we will have 13 reporters covering BYU football instead of 14?

• Laurence Glavin
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:32 p.m.

I'm a visitor from the Boston area; I was led here by a story about the conversion of an FM station to an ultra-extreme-far-right-wing-conservative talk format. The Boston Globe ran a story about the Deseret News's decision, and it led with this headline (I'm not making this up; the print and online editions were identical, but by now the online edition may have changed it): "Utah newspaper cutting staff in half". Oh, the bloodshed.

• BU Graduate
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:08 p.m.

@Laurence

Yeah, I'm not impressed with the editors who create titles for articles. See that type of thing all the time.

• OldBoldCyclist
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:21 p.m.

I sure hope the Sunday comics can go back to four sheets from three sheets. Even with bifocals I find the reduced-size type almost impossible to read. I'd even put up with a sheet of ads interspersed with a sheet of comics. Please?