BYU football: Sarkisian's return to Provo is 'business trip'

Comments

• AK Cougar
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:35 a.m.

Welcome to Provo Coach Sarkisian. You were classy when you were in Provo and I have no doubt you will be classy when you come again. I for one will be glad to see you coach and watch this game, my first in about 5 years.

I hope the Washington program continues to grow and become the top of the PAC 12. It would be awesome for BYU and Washington to continue the home and home series every few years.

• clarkamu
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:43 a.m.

I think Coach Sarkisian is a class act. He is doing a nice job at UW and after Saturday, I hope he has an undefeated season.

• Nussdorfer AC
    Aug. 31, 2010 7:41 a.m.

He was a great QB, I'm sure he'll get a standing ovation.

• my screen name
    Aug. 31, 2010 8:03 a.m.

What is CBS C? Where do I find it on TV?

• DEW Cougars
    Aug. 31, 2010 8:50 a.m.

@my screen name

if you have Directv - on ch. 613 which is "college sport tv = c from cbs"

for other cable, I don't know

Steve, welcome home and GO COUGARS!

• RepresentBlue
    Aug. 31, 2010 9:20 a.m.

Fans better be more than "cordial". If Sark doesn't receive thunderous applause I will be very disappointed. If he receives any boos I will be ashamed.

• Runner
    Aug. 31, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Welcome back to Provo Sark. You are always welcome here among the BYU alum and congratulations on your successful career.

I'm sure the fans at LES will provide a wonderful welcome to you.

• BigYak14
    Aug. 31, 2010 9:37 a.m.

Steve was an incredible quarterback. Thanks for playing at byu and we look forward to seeing you on saturday.

• roughd
    Aug. 31, 2010 9:49 a.m.

Sure seems like Sark is always an afterthought when all the great BYU QB's are discussed, but that Cotton Bowl win may well have been the greatest BYU ever had. Beats a close win over a 6-5 Michigan team.

• CBPapa
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:06 a.m.

Was 2004 the year that USC came to Provo? When the article mentioned that this was Sark's first trip back, my first thought was, "What about when USC came to Provo and played?" But maybe that was when he had his one-year stint with the Raiders?

• arsphd
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:10 a.m.

Sark was a great player, I was in Dallas and got to attend the Cotton Bowl game. It was very entertaining. The Kansas State fans, all dolled up in their Barney purple, were in a serious state of shock as the left the stadium. I remember the BYU fans being outnumbered by a large number, but they were very loud.

Aug. 31, 2010 10:16 a.m.

Welcome back Steve!
    Hate to say it, but I hope your team loses on Saturday!

• Ryan
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:29 a.m.

Sark went 14-1 that year, his only loss was to Rashaan Shehee, Corey Dillon and the Washington Huskies, how ironic is that?

• BlueHusky
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:42 a.m.

I loved Sark then and I love him now. A true credit to BYU and the Huskies. I'm torn, of course, on this game and if i where there I'd have on my Husky shirt and BYU hat or vice versa.

This will be a good game. I expect BYU's youth to be tested in this game and UW to win, but we'll just have to play the game. I expected Oregon State to do a lot better than they did last year. This will be a good win for either team.

• Wayne Rout
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:47 a.m.

One of the best, yes. The best, probably not. I certainly expect everyone at the game to give him a great welcome.

• LEDSFW
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:06 a.m.

What isn't to like about the guy, he led arguably the best BYU team ever and garnered the only New Years Day Bowl win ever. He's too humble to realize he's one of everyone's favorites of all time.

• UWfan
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:35 a.m.

BYU fans should feel a sense of pride over Sark. He is a credit to your school and continues to reflect well on it. UW fans love his honesty along with all the other skills which make him a great up and coming head coach. He's bringing in smart AND skilled kids many of whom have been blessed with good families. We appreciate his bringing in these types of kids and I have no doubt BYU made an impression there. But then, you already know he's a class guy.

Some of you have mentioned the irony of his becoming head coach at the only school in his senior year to beat him. When he was introduced to us as head coach, he talked about that game quite a bit and the impression it made on him. That endeared him right away as you can imagine!

Husky fans look forward to a great contest. Look out as this team isn't one anyone expects!

GO DAWGS!!

• Flashback
    Aug. 31, 2010 11:49 a.m.

I liked Sark better than McMahon. That Cotton Bowl victory was grand. I hope Sark gets to get his picture taken with the other great QB's. That means he'll be down by at least 21.

• Tom in CA
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:07 p.m.

@Live Hard:

One thing for sure - from this day forward YOU won't be cheering for BYU. We sure will miss you.

• UWfan
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:20 p.m.

flashback, you have it backwards, he says he won't come out at half time unless he's ahead by that much. :)

• fresnogirl
    Aug. 31, 2010 12:40 p.m.

Welcome home Sark! Thanks for all the fun games you gave us to enjoy and best wishes for a great and long coaching career. Love it when our men in blue go out into the world and thrive!

Go Cougars!!!

• Floyd Johnson
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:19 p.m.

I don't recall booing Steve in 1995. If I did, I extend my apologies. Most of us at that game would not show disapproval for a college athlete today. Sarkisian was the last quarterback before 5 years of instability.

Feterick, Miller, Engemann, Peterson, Doman all played spot duty between '97 and 2000. I imagine 4 of those guys were booed in Provo. All had incredible moments. Engemann scored 5 touchdowns in the second half at Virginia. Ferterick tossed the bomb to Hale to win the Washington game. Miller's first drive ended with a laser pass for a touchdown (it was tipped twice).

I have often wondered what would have happened if Crowton had stuck with Engemann rather than selecting an inexperienced guy. Chow had hand picked the guy and could have turned him into one of the best in BYU history. As it turned out, Engemann left early and tried the NFL. BYU recorded the worst years in recent history.

Glad to see Sarkisian (and all of those guys) doing well today.

• 3grandslams
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:59 p.m.

Sark no worries! You will always be a Cougar fan favorite! The Cotton Bowl will always go down as one of the great games ever! You reeled them in and then let them know you did it!

Glad to see you back in Provo!

• Big Hapa
    Aug. 31, 2010 2:58 p.m.

Once a Cougar he will always be a Cougar, regardless the outcome in Saturdays game Sark will be walking out of this LES a BYU Cougar and a memeber of a very elite genealogy of collegiate quarterbacks.

"POLY" Cougar Nation

• Wldflwr
    Aug. 31, 2010 7:28 p.m.

Welcome Back Sark! I know you will be received well by one and all. I was at the Cotton Bowl and it was one great game. And kudos for recognizing the fans afterward.

@Live Hard 9:39 am: You come on our board to post that you "will not be cheering for BYU from this day forward" and you think any of us care???? What we would REALLY like to see is that you will not be posting on our boards from this day forward. You kinda need some help dealing with your hate there fella.

• CougarFreedom!
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:02 p.m.

Steve Sarkesian - Welcome back and thanks for the memories:
    1) Mr. Efficiency: Going 31 of 34 in victory over Fresno State (1995).

2) Revenge for Ty: Passing for 500+ yards and six touchdowns in the Cougars' 41—37 upset victory over Texas A&M (1996 Pigskin Classic).

3) Conference Champion: Defeating Wyoming, 28—25, in the 1996 WAC Championship Game in Vegas.

4) Cotton Bowl Victor: Passing to K.O. Kealaluhi late in the game in come from behind win over Kansas State on New Year's Day, 1997, finishing one of BYU's best seasons at 14-1 and a #5 ranking.

To one of our best, BYU fans wish you the best in your coaching endeavors.

Go Cougs!