BYU football: Fans supportive if Cougars go independent

Comments

• Chase
    Aug. 19, 2010 1:12 a.m.

And now on with all the comments and opinions from the armchair Athletic Directors.

None of us will ever know all of the options being weighed and all the factors being considered for BYU to make this ALLEGED decision.

But, coming from a fan, I would way rather watch BYU go 9-4/8-5 (or better!) playing quality teams than playing all the poor performing teams at the bottom of our conference.

Rest assured, this ALLEGED decision is driven by Church Exposure first and foremost. Don't forget: Football (athletics) is the "vehicle".

• Oldguy
    Aug. 19, 2010 4:15 a.m.

Because of its unique recruiting and fan base, BYU will continue to get by as an independent. But think of this: The BYU football recruit has only two things to play for: an impossible national championship and personal All-American status. There will be no more conference championships, no all-conference honors. Basically, you lose one game and your season is over. This used to make sense for a Notre Dame, which had a realistic shot at the national title, but even they have suffered for the last decade or so. However, their football team does make a lot of money for the school, which is the bottom line. That will be the new goal for BYU's football team, as well. How do you integrate that into the recruiting pitch?

• Parkite1
    Aug. 19, 2010 6:38 a.m.

Fantastic! BYU will now have a guaranteeed shot at a BCS Bowl every year. Notre Dame mave have a more storied legacy but BYU has done much more over the last 30 years than Notre Dame has. Heck it would be wonderful for BYU and Notre Dame to play each other every year and build a true Holy War rivalry that would really be something. Hope the Church approves it as this would really build up the prestige and it definatley trumps Utah joining the PAC-10!!

• livestrong
    Aug. 19, 2010 6:43 a.m.

I think I speak for a lot of fans that said we were enthusiastic before Nevada and Fresno bolted for the MWC. Now, we would hope that BYU act very cautiously. The WCC would be an awesome fit for basketball (much better actually) and other sports, but will we have enough quality teams to fill out the football schedule? If we're confident that we do, than great. If not, please be very wary.

• VA_Ute
    Aug. 19, 2010 8:32 a.m.

Going independent trumps a move to the Pac-10? Seriously? Wow, maybe BYU fans really are delusional. Independence would ruin BYU football forever. Joining the WCC is like leaving the NCAA for the NAIA. Seriously, I'm a fan of the Y,(every day but one in November) but this is foolhearty. BYU fans, please stop patting yourselves on the back and look around you. You're not suddenly going to have a schedule with Florida, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, and Penn State on it. You're going to have a schedule with Rice, Army, Navy, and Southern Utah on it.

• Confused
    Aug. 19, 2010 8:38 a.m.

They are talking about a 150.00 a year fee to watch these games?

With the rep of Cougar fans being that of Scrooge when it comes to spending, does the church really think people will fork out that much money in this ecomony to watch BYU?

I don't think so....

• VA_Ute
    Aug. 19, 2010 8:38 a.m.

Do BYU fans really think going independent is better than joining an AQ conference? Any AQ conference!? That's just delusional. Joining the WCC is like joining the NAIA. It's not a step down, it's falling off a cliff. I'm a BYU fan every day of the year but one, and this move terrifies me. It will utterly decimate byu football. BYU fans, you're not going to suddenly have a schedule with Florida, Texas, Ohio State, and Notre Dame on it. You'll have a schedule with Army, Navy, Utah State, and Southern Utah on it. This can only end badly for the Y if they leave.

• Cougar Claws
    Aug. 19, 2010 9:31 a.m.

I think independence has exciting potential, but no way is it better than being in an AQ conference. I think t might have higher money making potential, but being in an AQ conference is a lot safer than independence. Utah is definitely in a safer spot right now.

• JustintimeY
    Aug. 19, 2010 9:50 a.m.

With Nevada and Fresno joing the MWC the Y needs to seriously consider their options. How will not playing for a conference championship affect long term recruiting?

• Ragnar Danneskjold
    Aug. 19, 2010 9:51 a.m.

The WCC would be an awesome fit for basketball? Wow. I've got to agree with VA_Ute, this could be horrible for BYU athletics if not done right. The WCC plays some good basketball, but the schools are tiny and it would still be horrible for basketball (not to mention catastrophic for other sports). Thompson made a good strategic move IMO. BYU doesn't have many great options any more for the rest of their sports.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 19, 2010 10:30 a.m.

I love the picture of the BYU fan holding the sign that says, "BYU Loves Fiestas". I'm guessing that picture was taken during the now famous "Quest for Perfection".

Folks, you can't make this stuff up. It just gets better and better.

• jazzfan14
    Aug. 19, 2010 10:45 a.m.

Parkite1: Are you insane? This would in no way trump Utah's move to the PAC-10. BYU is going independent because the PAC-10 and Big 12 didn't want them. If given the opportunity, you can bet the'd have accepted invitations to either of those conferences.

• Topher
    Aug. 19, 2010 10:56 a.m.

I love the idea of going independent. It is more about exposure than it is about $$$. BYU is one of the missions of the Church, and the more exposure BYU gets the more exposure the Church gets.

DO IT

Boise State and the other renegades of the WAC that just joined the MWC will find out about national exposure. They would do better to "about face" and march in the direction they came from.

The MWC leadership and the contract with Comcast is not where any program wants to go.

By the way Bronco fans, enjoy not seeing your games.

• Buzz
    Aug. 19, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Right on Otis... fools mock but they shall mourn.

Only jealous haters take the Quest for Perfection out of context. If you really think that Bronco meant for that to be for an undefeated season, you show your true colors.

But alas, the Utes hold the stronger hand at the moment so I'm sure you'll attribute my response to blindness or something like that.

You go ahead and relish the Ute's program that began it's glory all the way since '04. When all the dust clears on the movement this year, I am confident that BYU will have further solidified itself as a well-respected national program and the most hallowed program in the state of Utah

• Uteology
    Aug. 19, 2010 12:55 p.m.

Buzz | 11:11 a.m. Aug. 19, 2010
    Right on Otis... fools mock but they shall mourn.

---------

The Quest was for a BCS birth; see the article photo for proof.

• Henry Drummond
    Aug. 19, 2010 12:57 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing evaporates. What would make more sense now for BYU is to stay in the MWC for at least two more years and see if they can't become an Automatic Qualifier. In the meantime the MWC could go to 12 teams, have two divisions and get to schedule a lot more non-conference games. It may be that things have gone too far down the road and its too late to turn back, but if it isn't that is what I think should happen.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 19, 2010 1:14 p.m.

Uteology wrote:

"The Quest was for a BCS birth; see the article photo for proof."

How did that go for you? :))

• jazzfan14
    Aug. 19, 2010 1:18 p.m.

Buzz, I can't believe you quoted scripture in a discussion about college football. As for the Quest for Perfection, I understand that the term comes from BYU's mission statement, but I think anyone who seriously denies that Bronco was trying to use that as a quest for an undefeated season is the fool. He may have wanted them to seek perfection in all areas of their lives, but he was talking about football.

• Buzz
    Aug. 19, 2010 1:37 p.m.

Jazzfan14-

I never heard him say that and in contrast he has always said things to the contrary.

I guess he's a liar though right? I mean he's like me right? A self-righteous Y fan

• Buzz
    Aug. 19, 2010 1:39 p.m.

Would it be okay with you if I quoted Shakespeare instead?

• Dig Dug
    Aug. 19, 2010 3:34 p.m.

Whoa! Lets keep the discussion on track and leave the hallowing for the right things...

Anyway I don't see a whole lot to lose for the Y by going independent. It will be a hard road to walk, but could prove to be rewarding in the long run. Conversely, staying put in the MWC will likely yield more of the same, good, but nothing earth shattering. Even if a future bid from a BCS conference never comes, they Y would always be welcome in any decent mid-Major conference. I think they should give it a shot!

I will be very curious to see their scheduling. Probably take a few years to get things straightened out, but if they could get 3-4 descent teams on the schedule, their place in the BCS would be in their own hands at that point.

• Archie
    Aug. 19, 2010 4:04 p.m.

Buzz | 11:11 a.m. Aug. 19, 2010

"...fools mock but they shall mourn."

"BYU will have further solidified itself as a well-respected national program and the most hallowed program in the state of Utah"

Good grief, Buzz...

Hallowed program?? BYU has certainly done it's part hollow out the WAC.

• Anti Bush-Obama
    Aug. 19, 2010 4:20 p.m.

What makes Byu an automatic qualifier just because they go independant? Beat TCU and BSU first.

• netjes
    Aug. 19, 2010 5:03 p.m.

I have long been a proponent of BYU going independent. I even have their schedule (ten games only):

1 Utah State home
    11 off
    12 Previous Champ (Alabama) home/away
    13 Utah home/away
    14 Hawaii away

• davidutefan
    Aug. 19, 2010 5:31 p.m.

In my wildest dreams, and mine can get pretty wild, I cannot see how this benefits YBU, at least, in football. Do you really see yourselves as another Notre Dame? I really don't mean this to be mean spirited but, the idea, at least to me, seems insane. You have a difficult time getting top tier teams to schedule you now, much less as an independent. One great coach and a good run for a while and suddenly you think you're another top team? I'm not going to insult any of us by saying you're crappy. You been decent through most of the past 30 years. You are, however, no Notre Dame. The Irish are one of the most storied programs in history. C'mon now, Knute Rockne, touchdown Jesus, the golden dome. How many Nat'l titles and top 10 finishes? how many Heismans and all Americans? do you really believe that your ratings will justify the money you think you'll rake in? Remember, using drugs is against the honor code.

• Thlete
    Aug. 19, 2010 6:04 p.m.

@netjes, HAHAHAHAH!!! Nice pie in the sky schedule there. Did you know the fact that Florida hasn't played an OOC game outside the state of Florida in several decades? Fat chance getting them to come to Provo, especially late in the year. Also, Utah is having way more home/aways with USC and Stanford than BYU, so give up on that one. Reality is that it'll be very hard to get marquee teams to play you during the conference season, so your options are limited to the other Indies and whatever peon teams you can pay to play you.

• Thlete
    Aug. 19, 2010 6:07 p.m.

"It'll allow us to play some top teams in the nation."

What about independent status allows that? Did the MWC hold you back in the 4 OOC games you got each year? I seem to remember Eastern Washington and Northern Iowa being the only ones that would play you with short notice recently. Sure there was Oklahoma last year, but that seems to be the exception to the rule. Getting good games at home will be VERY hard for at least the next 3-4 years.

• CougarOnTheProwl
    Aug. 19, 2010 8:48 p.m.

It would be nice to get into an AQ conference, but no one has come calling yet. Right now independence is clearly the best way to go. Staying in the MWC would be like a lame duck in a small pond. The MWC tv contract is beyond a joke and they will never gain AQ status, especially if TCU bolts which I think they will. BYU will continue to play utah every year and probably utah state. They already have a series with Texas, oregon state and Boise state scheduled into the future. I would bet that Notre Dame will be willing to schedule some games as well. Army and Navy are very possible as well. I dont think scheduling will be as difficult as alot people believe. Especially when you consider BYU will likely have a deal with ESPN and my guess is ESPN would televise at least 3 of their games a year. The national tv exposure will make it even more attractive to schedule some of the top teams in the nation.

• jg2010
    Aug. 20, 2010 3:31 p.m.

Am I taking crazy pills? This would be a terrible move for BYU. Even if they could stand on their own as an independent (and I'm not saying they can't). It is just a BAD decision. No national power wants to put an independent school on their schedule that will come in and mop the floor with them and/or make them look bad. (ask Boise State) And that schedule that was proposed doesn't make any sense. Who knows that those teams will want to play. This is a bad move plain and simple. The best bet is to stay in the MWC and improve it from the inside.

• jg2010
    Aug. 20, 2010 3:40 p.m.

If I were a hardcore BYU fan, I would be vehemently opposed to this. It is a mistake.

• MiP
    Aug. 21, 2010 9:05 a.m.

I hate to say it, but the Y fans who want BYU to go independant are becoming more delusional with their reasoning everyday (based on these posts).

I agree the schedule could be pretty sweet and the match-ups pretty inticing---though getting a home/away with an SEC team would be impossible (see netjes above). They would also be able to keep their rivalry games against the U and USU, which would be nice.

Plus, asking casual Y fans to pay 150 bucks would be a big request, particularly given their rep (see Confused above). Notre Dame, which has an immensely larger fan base, shows their games on NBC, a free network station.

But getting to a BCS game would become much more difficult by going independent. They have a much better chance of getting their through being a conference champion in the bulked up MWC. Sure TCU and BSU are at the top right now, but BYU has won many championships before and there is no reason to believe they won't return.

Let's be realistic. While it's fun to fantasize, it's much more practical and cost effective to stay in the MWC.

• utah10
    Aug. 21, 2010 11:42 a.m.

Byu will make more money with their tv contracts but not playing for a conference championship and only at a shot at a bcs game is not a lot to play for. I thik BYU will get lost in the shuffle if they go independent. I think with the WAC no longer a great option to schedule games and not an option for other sports then they need to see if the MWC will give them a chance to air their games on their own network. If Craig Thompson does not allow schools to make more money then he is making a very bad choice for the conference. BYU should stay in MWC because they added Nevada and Fresno. If they could add Houston then that make it Bsc type of conference. Plus the Houston area is a great recuiting ground that schools would love to recuit from.