Utah Utes football: Jan Jorgensen not welcome at U. practice

Comments

• Big Rock
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:01 a.m.

Why is this a story? A BYU guy not wanted at a Utah practice. That's big news.

• Ashtrash
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:21 a.m.

Wow, seriously? Glad we are all so professional here.

• Utes 31 Tide 17
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:22 a.m.

That is completely ridiculous. I listen to 1280 all the time, it's not like Jan's spying for BYU or something like that. He's a legitimate sports broadcaster on a legitimate radio show.

I'm sure one he and Whittingham talk it over, they'll correct their mistake and let him be there.

• Terry
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:26 a.m.

Come on Utes, Jan is a great local radio personality along with Gunther. I guess the Utes have a bunch of classless coaches and players as well as classless fans! :)

• acrolight12
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:28 a.m.

I just have one question, was this or was it not an open to the public practice? If it was then having Jan there along with other media members shouldn't have been an issue. Reading reports from other reporters of the Utes first practice leads me to believe that it was open to the public. Sounds as though Utah may have handled this inappropriately.

• Ute in DC
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:45 a.m.

Why is Harmon even talking to Jorgensen about this? Harmon is the BYU beat reporter. This is a story about Utah practice.

Harmon and Jorgensen don't even work for the same company. They are both acting as Jorgensen is still a BYU player.

• Utes 31 Tide 17
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:07 a.m.

Coach Whit just did Jorgensen and 1280 a huge favor, with all the free publicity.

Jorgensen is less than one year removed from being a player. I suppose it's understandable that they'd rather he not observe practice, although he was welcome back for the interview portion.

• Jimmything
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:18 a.m.

Is Dick even trying anymore to hide his U of U animosity/jealousy?

• Runner
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:19 a.m.

Just remember the number one rule on the hill - nobody question King Kyle!

• VegasUte
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:40 a.m.

That this was even reported by DN is a joke. It is not even news worthy and a complete waste of time. Whitt ran closed practice, that means anyone he doesn't want there should not be there. Even Jorgensen was totally understanding.

Get real DN, TMZ you ain't and shouldn't try to be!

• Utefan
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:21 a.m.

Once a Zoob always a Zoob!! Send Jan to practices in Happy Valley and Kyle up on the Hill.

• The Big One
    Aug. 6, 2010 5:55 a.m.

Starting to crack Whitt? You use to be a coug you should kick yourself out.

• OnlyInUtah
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:17 a.m.

Classless move by the yewts.

Aug. 6, 2010 6:19 a.m.

@ acrolight12

this was closed to the public. if by "public" you mean "media" then yes.

I think this is a non-issue. Whit is just being careful. I doubt he listens to the "jan and gunther show". I am sure they will get it straightened out.

• financenco
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:27 a.m.

This comes from an insecure coach who can't recognize that an ex-player, working in the media isn't going to pass on trade secrets to his former team. That would be like anyone in the NFC East not alowing Troy Aikman or Moose to announce their games, because they used to play for the Cowboys. Sounds silly huh?

• BYUH
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:32 a.m.

It's that inferiority complex thing surfacing again.

Let's see, BYU plays Utah in 3 months or more, beforewhich Utah will have played 11 or 12 games. By the time Whittingham plays BYU in November, BYU will have had ample time to see practically everything Utah does. So what is Jorgensen going to learn on the first day of practice (without pads) that he will pass on to the hated rival that will improve BYU's chances of beating Utah in November?? I'll tell you what - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

It is all about Utah's fixation with beating BYU. Afterall, Isn't this the same guy who has a clock in his office counting down to the BYU game???

Utah and Whittingham owe Jorgensen an apology.

• baddog
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:40 a.m.

Perhaps the pending move to the PAC Something has increased the Utes' self esteem such that they can pick and choose who they wish to attend practices.

I'd say that if the practice was open to the public, Utah's media specialist Abel isn't ready for big time exposure if she starts picking and choosing who attends public events.

Will Jorgensen be banned from games as well?

Maybe Harline still is open -- in someone's mind.

• MT UTE
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:41 a.m.

This practice was not open to the public.

• Th
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:45 a.m.

This is funny after listening to 1280 with Gunther and Jorgenson.

Clarification, Utah's practices are not open to the public. My guess is Gunther ditched Jorgenson and KWhitt and other Utah personell doesn't know he's media even though he was wearing a media badge. Im sure it will get worked out. I doubt Whitt would believe he was spying not that it would matter anyways since both teams will have changed drastically over the year.

• billybubba
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:54 a.m.

sounds to me like some one is getting a little Paranoid

• sancho
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:56 a.m.

In today's college football world, I'm surprised any reporters at all are allowed to attend, let alone reporters with clear allegiances to a school's biggest rival. Jan is just a few months removed from BYU. One would think he still has many friends with the BYU team. Maybe he's trustworthy, maybe not. Better to err on the side of caution.

• umanami
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:02 a.m.

Jan is a ybU homer. I would kick him out of practice as well. As a matter of fact, I really wish 1280 would kick him off the show. I can not stand listening to his commentary and his inability to be realistic about his beloved ybU. He can not be objective in his reporting and it is blatantly obvious how much of a homer he really is. He sounds like a weasel and can not be trusted.

• fishead
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:03 a.m.

FUNNY!!!! I love it. I think all reporters, regardless of who they work for, where they played, or who they seem to support should be banned from all practices. All reporters are nothing more than a common leach trying to suck the blood from a program and make something out of nothing.

• IndependentLiberal
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:06 a.m.

That’s interesting since Hans Olsen, former BYU player, and from the same radio station was allowed at the Utah practice, and he is about as pro BYU as anyone I have ever listened to.

• hedgehog
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:07 a.m.

Ute in DC,

Couldn't agree with you more.

• decaf
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:07 a.m.

Hey this is LIZ ABEL, a real peach I tell ya. She is in her position purely through attrition. If Utah actually had someone it that position with talent they would be light years ahead of where they are today. She has taken her less than mediocre talent and coat-tailed the athletic departments on field success. Poor form Abel poor form!

• TruBlue
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:12 a.m.

Wow. This tells us a lot about Utah's bunker mentality at this point.

Max Hall's words are proving truly prophetic. What a joke!

• Bluto
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:18 a.m.

Well, Well, Well.... Utah should fit right in with the Pac-10 now.

Liberals are always lecturing about freedom of the press, speech, blah blah.

EXCEPT, WHEN YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM.

These are the people always yapping about "Intellectual/Academic Freedom".

Ve have Vays to make you leave our practice, yes, ve have vays.

• Two Shoes
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:18 a.m.

What! A Cougar at a Ute football practice. The nerve. The Utes shouldn't allow a Cougar in. That has never happened before. Except .... oh ya .... Kyle Whittingham ......

• Howard S.
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:25 a.m.

For decades the Utah sports media has treated Utah athletics as the red-headed step child.

Now suddenly an uncredentialed BYU plant is kicked out of practice and the media is interested in cover in Utah???

Hey Dick, I heard Heaps had a double cheeseburger for lunch. Shouldn't you be covering that?

• IFJazzFan
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:26 a.m.

Wittingham is fricking ridiculous. Are you kidding me? Up by 50...onside kick!

• The Real Maverick
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:29 a.m.

Another example of Utah's classiness.... Keep it up Utah. Can't wait to send you all crying home again.

• byurocks22
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:31 a.m.

Utefan: How can you say "Once a Zoob always a Zoob?"

Half the coaching staff at Utah played for BYU!! So are you saying Whit should not be at the practices too as well as half the other coaches at the U?! Think about what you are saying?!!

• Howard S.
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:31 a.m.

Hey Jan, only professional reporters are allowed to cover PAC 10 programs.

Which makes me wonder who in the Utah sports media could cover Utah in the PAC 10.

• Esquire
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:39 a.m.

If you have any media, allow all media. Wasn't Utah's coach a BYU guy, too? Using the logic, he should be banned from practice.

• Magic Happens
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:39 a.m.

I guess I can understand some frustration here. But it was announced numerous times that all practices are closed to the public and public is defined by the staff, not me, not you, not Jan, or not even the DN. I am pretty sure if Bronco was uncomfortable with somebody at one of the cougar practices and that person was asked to leave there would be no mention in the DN. This is only a story in this paper, and not an important one at that. Obviously Mr. Harmon doesn't have much to do until cougar practices start so he writes what he can. Compliments to Mr. Harmon for not editorializing about it though. Just report the facts, kind of like Joe Friday. Perhaps he's learned from his gaff at ESPN.

• rlsintx
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:40 a.m.

Utefan | 4:21 a.m. Aug. 6, 2010
    ==============

So.... Kyle can't be there either ? He's a zoob too :)

• billybubba
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:45 a.m.

getting a little Paranoid are we

• YtxPat
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:47 a.m.

Didn't King Kyle play for a National Championship team?

• jazzbball
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:48 a.m.

re: Utefan

Sounds good. Coach Whittingham, Sitake, Roderick... sorry guys. You're still a Zoob evidentally.

Back to BYU you go.

Oh wait....who's going to run practice?? Scalley!?

• hedgehog
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:50 a.m.

Hey Dick,

How about focusing on what you’re supposedly paid to do — BYU. Your 24/7 jealousy of all things Utah and PAC 10 is bush league. Honestly, you’re only confirming what most people already know — BYU is the “little brother”.

• hedgehog
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:54 a.m.

Hey Dick,

The “other” newspaper is running a story on BYU’s slipping football academics. Any interest is pursuing this topic?…..LOL!

Of course not.

• Flashback
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:55 a.m.

This just confirms my conviction that the Yewts are horribly paranoid. What would Jorgenson learn from their practice that he'd pass on to the Y? Most likely nothing that he doesn't already know from watching four years of Yewt game film.

• bgl
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:57 a.m.

I think if I hear the term "legit reporter" one more time I'm gonna shoot beads. This guy and Kyle Gunther are legit nothing. They are two very untalented former football players who have a high school like radio show and talk about food a lot. Images of Keith Jackson and Chris Shenkel (or even Steven A. Smith) hardly come to mind when I listen to them.

• ubetcha
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:59 a.m.

utefan..think about it, if what you say is true..Kyle needs to kick himself out of practice along with some of his coaches!!...dah

• rlsintx
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:59 a.m.

Utefan | 4:21 a.m. Aug. 6, 2010
    ============
    So by that line of thinking Kyle has to leave too because he was a zoob too.

• Making Sense
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:08 a.m.

To Utefan

Kyle is a "Zoob."

• Brave Sir Robin
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:11 a.m.

The hypocrisy I'm reading on these posts is dripping down my monitor and pooling on my desk.

Do any of you zoob apologists (like Maverick, Bluto, BYUH, Only In Utah, etc.) think Bronc wouldn't have done the exact same thing if a 2009 Utah grad (like maybe Brian Johnson) had showed up at a zoo practice? I know he would - and rightfully so, I might add.

Jorgensen is still as tight with the zoob players/staff as he was last year. He still hangs out with those guys, visits their locker room after practice...he's a spy hiding behind a media credential.

• Pete in Texas
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:14 a.m.

LOL @ the Utes....

Seriously!? Was Kyle worried that Jorgensen would report their "super-secret" skill training excercises?

Kyle.... this ain't grade school anymore. Jorgensen is an adult who understands life. Time for you to become one too. I mean, certainly Kyle, of ALL people, should understand that just because you played for football for BYU, doesn't mean your allegiances stay there the rest of your life.

I'm sure Whittingham has heard this one before:

Paranoia will destroy 'ya.

Sheesh.....

• EdGrady
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:16 a.m.

So much for the "grown up" Whittingham.

• Dave S
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:16 a.m.

Too bad Jan obviously couldn't make it in the NFL. Wasn't he your star defensive lineman?

• imcrimson
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:22 a.m.

C'mon Cougar fans - let's not make this bigger than what it really is. You make it sound like if Kyle Gunther went be-bopping over to LES with pen and paper that Bronco would greet him with punch and cookies. Give me a break!

Ever since ever since the Pac 10 invite, ever since the two BCS wins, ever since the 98 NCAAs, really ever since 1993 - you've been waiting with anticipation to jump allover Utah's football program and this is what you are hinging your emotions on?!

Everybody take a deep breath and realize that this is about a freakin football program - not your mother's eternal welfare.

• TOMAHAWK
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:26 a.m.

I am an avid ute fan and a 1280 the zone listener. Jan and Kyle can both be homers but they are sportscasters now. They are professionals and not spies. We need to mellow out and stop the top secret atmosphere on the hill.
    Go Utes!

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:30 a.m.

Get real, DN!!!
    This is no worthy news to publish.

• Observation-ist
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:32 a.m.

If BYU refused to have a former Ute, now media personality, cover a BYU practice, the BYU-haters would be out in droves. I think the Utes were a little short sighted on this one.

Aug. 6, 2010 8:35 a.m.

1280 the zone has really slipped lately in terms of the ratings. They have the talent to beat out KFAN, but for whatever reason, they have not utilized it. This is going to be a boost to them. I know I will be tuning in to 1280 at 10 to catch what Jan thinks about this. I imagine others will too. Normally, I listen to romey at that time because I cant stand Jan and gunther.

I think Whit was in the right here. Its his practice and he didn't really have time to investigate. He has work to do. He doesn't have time to look into possible conflicts of interest. Adn it seems like it wasn't his call anyway.

But hey, with utah moving to the pac-10, harmon needs more sour grapes.

• coach hines
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:37 a.m.

didn't karl malone used to say 'do what ya gotta do', and utah did just that-no big deal really.....on a related note, as far as being a 'radio personality' gunther is just horrible and has demonstrated no knowledge or worthy opinion whatsoever on any topic outside of utah football....jorgensen seems to be a decent guy but radio host really isn't his strong suit either....i will cut hans a break because he has become pretty good and petty funny, while these other two make me reach for the station changing button only after a few minutes

• Ragnar Danneskjold
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:39 a.m.

I think this is probably being blown out of proportion. Jan is less than a year removed from the BYU program, and probably still trains with a lot of the guys. It isn't that he played at BYU, it is that he played at BYU so recently.
    And the article even says that Whit didn't ask for it to happen. It probably went something like this:
    Whit-"Is that Jan Jorgensen over there? I can't say I'm entirely comfortable with him being here."
    Media assistant-"Do you want me to ask him to leave?"
    Whit-"I don't really like it, but whatever."

Then the assistant asked him to leave. I agree that they should have let it go, but I'm also quite sure the media is making it a bigger deal than it was.

• Alterego
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:48 a.m.

Insecurity
    Kyle and half his staff were once Cougars. Remove them all.

• whynot67
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:51 a.m.

If it were a UTE kicked out of BYU practice then it would be a story. Jan is a BYU graduate and has joined the media. He has every right to be where he is sent by his employer. He's no more a spy than any other former BYU player currently on the U of U coaching staff. Man up Whittingham. What are you hiding on the first day of practice?

• wer
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:54 a.m.

It was reported the other day that Duke's Coach K wouldn't eat a meal in Chapel Hill, eleven miles down the road. Something about being concerned how people there would treat him.

This move by Utah reps is even dumber. I suppose U officials will try and get the color of the sky changed, the color on interstate highway signs altered, and will refuse to utter the words, "Brigham Young University".

What a climate of overreaction and plan ignorance.

• Pete in Texas
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:55 a.m.

C'mon folks.... let's cut Kyle some slack here.

It's apparent he saw right through Jan's "cover" as a "sports reporter" to try and sneak in and discover the Utes "secrets" to putting together a mediocre 8-4 team. Bronco is OBVIOUSLY paying him to find out the secret to CONSISTANTLY being a 3rd place team in the MWC and then getting an invite to an "upper-echelon" conference like the PAC.

Man, them Utes.... sharp as tacks. Got to get up pretty early in the morning to sneak anything over on them. Nice try though, Jan. Maybe we'll have to try to get you to spy on some OTHER powerhouse-football team like..... Wyoming.

• govt rocks
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:57 a.m.

Pretty sure in the past BYU practices have been closed to all media types except for small time periods at the end of practice. This is not a big deal. The story also mentions that Kyle Gunther, former Ute, left as well and returned later. Who cares really. The coach did not make the decision, so don't blame Kyle. I am sure if he had the time he would have gone and talked to Jan Jorgensen and worked something out. But, it is the SID's job to manage all media relations, and that is what she did. No big deal. Move on.

Aug. 6, 2010 8:58 a.m.

When was the last time Whittingham was affiliated with the cougar program?

contrast

When was the last time Jan was affiliated with the cougar program?

I rest my case.

• Mountanman
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:59 a.m.

Perhaps Kyle Whittingham should be banned from Ute practises, after all he played for BYU also!

• SoCalUtahFan
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:00 a.m.

It makes sense, doesn't it?

Now that Utah is a major schools, it should only allow real professional sport writers/reporters.

Thanks for the report, Dick.

Aug. 6, 2010 9:03 a.m.

@ Observationist 8:32

whats your point? the ute-haters are out in droves. This isn't even a big deal.

• Puddy
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:17 a.m.

Re: Dave S

Yes that's true. And your team with the six mighty draft picks still couldn't beat him last year.

Re: umanami

At least Jorgensen, as well as Olson, tries to be impartial when discussing BYU and Utah. In fact, they are often very complementary of Utah. Listening to Gunther is a complete joke. He couldn't say anything good about BYU if his life depended on it. He rips on BYU all the time, much like how a fifth grader would sound. That my friend is a homer.

• carabaoU
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:17 a.m.

Take a chill pill, BYU. This is the first year hazing of ex-BYU players turned radio host. I remmeber Hans Olsen's first report from Ute practice. Whit gave me nothing for material in his interview. Hilarious! Kicking Jan out, hilarious! Have fun rookie Jan.

• V/O
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:18 a.m.

GOOD choice coach!

Now 1280 should yank him off the radio. Really! Have you heard that "Red & Blue" afternoon show? Even as a true Ute fan faithful, I can barley stand Gunther acting senseless LIVE on the radio let alone adding a clueless Zoob to the show? Real talk fellas your show get's worse everyday. You spend so much time yapping about nonsense, Just take a listen to it your selves & you will hear bottom of the barrel sports talk radio. With Jim Rome on one side of the dial & Dan Patrick on the other, you would really think 1280 would aim higher to air a quality show?

Go UTES

I'm gone like Max Halls parents after that apparent beer shower....

• Pete in Texas
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:24 a.m.

LOL @ SoCalUtahFan,

Having NEVER been to college, even my high school degree would never permit me to say "Now that Utah is a major schools"..... Grammar anyone? Obviously that degree you received from the U of U is roughly worth the same as a high school diploma.

Yeah, you're a major football school now kind of like the Detroit Lions are a professional football team. Two peas in a pod.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:25 a.m.

• SoCalUtahFan
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:33 a.m.

As a major-league school now, Utah should put all the sport writers/reporters who want to cover Utah through a re-qualification process.

• Bluto
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:33 a.m.

How do we spell "INSECURITY"?

K y l e W h i t t i n g h a m....

Shades of Gary Crowton?

If only The Whitster was this cautious/prudent, when it came to having his family on the sidelines at the end of the BYU game.

Misplaced priorities.

Wouldn't trade Kyle for Bronco in a million years....

• Bear6
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:39 a.m.

• BP
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:39 a.m.

To Howard S.: Wow! I've heard some pretty arrogant sports fans, but I've never heard one claim that the local news stations aren't good enough to cover a local team (congratulations...you just did something that even arrogant BYU fans may never do).

To Magic Happens: While I agree with you that the DN leans towards BYU (and Harmon is a big BYU homer), I guarantee that if Bronco asked Guenther to leave fall camp, it would make the DN (papers love a good controversy more than they love a good sports team).

From the article, it sounded as though Kyle wasn't the one that ordered him out. Was it just a PR person that claimed Kyle had a problem with Jan being there? Clarification would be nice.

• Speed_Altitude
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:39 a.m.

Oh look another non story by the BYU homer Dick Harmon to show how unfairly YBU is being treated. From what I read in an earlier article this week all practices and scrimmages were closed to the public so if you weren't invited don't go. Utah is not obligated to open it's practice to anyone and public opinion isn't going to change it.

• Lifelong Republican
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Totally pathetic.

What kind of a whimp is Kwit?

Besides the utes keep hiring BYU products.

You don't think there is a spy in that group?

There is.

• ute4ever
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:42 a.m.

Why are people up in arms over this. It makes complete sense to me. Less than 1 year ago Jorgensen was the teammate to Max Hall who ranted and raved that he hated everything about BYU. Jorgensen on his own radio show (which is anything but "professional" if you've heard it) even stated he didn't have a problem with Max's comments since they won the game. So, why is anyone at Utah going to allow a person that obviously still has STRONG ties to another conference team to come into their practice.....kind of defeats the purpose.

I say 1280 The should kick out Jorgensen and Gunther for having an uninteresting and completely unprofessional radio program too.

• ute4ever
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:51 a.m.

To all you BYU folks:

This is how programs from big conferences act. Even when we look at Indiana from the Big 10.....the lowliest of programs from the Big 10 conference.....they have bushes that are 8 feet high all around the practice field to keep onlookers out and they have security guards patrol the perimiters during practice. Now that Utah is BCS and in a big time conference, I agree that they should take whatever steps possible to be on top.

Get used to it....this is how the big boys operate!!

• Bear6
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:52 a.m.

SoCalUtahFan, I agree with you. Utah should do a pre-qualification process. At least that way they could have reporters that can spell, unlike some of the Ute bloggers.

• bradleyc
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:56 a.m.

Did I say BYU by 30 this year?
    They are so tight and paranoid because they want to show that they belong in the PAC 10. This will be a very interesting year. Jorgensen should be welcomed anytime the media is invited to view practice. Come on Kyle!

Aug. 6, 2010 10:05 a.m.

@ ute4ever 9:42

amen to that. The quality at 1280 has taken a big hit. I completely stopped listening to monson last week when he went on ripping kyle whittingham about not taking pac10 questions. I switched to Bill and Spence. Jan and Gunther are so juvenille. I switched back to Rome. John and Hans is still ok, unless they get derailed with thier inside jokes (which happens a lot). I should mention that DJ and PK and Locked on Sports are awful. Absolultely terrible. Id rather listen to Hannity.

• Juice
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:10 a.m.

Otis Spurlock wrote:

"It may interest some of the Utah bashers on this board that the PAC 12 has an official policy of not letting members of mid-major conferences at their practices.

It makes sense, because it would be like letting executives from Yugo Motors have unfettered access to Porsche Motor's factory and secrets."

Interesting and true. Although I would say that letting a mid-major like BYU at Utah practices would be like letting the Haitian Military have free reign of the Pentagon to learn all of the secrets of the United States military.

• COUGARNATE
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:11 a.m.

I guarantee this would not happen in a Bronco Mendenhall practice. If it is a practice open to the media, then why isn't a local radio personality not welcome. Grow up Kyle Whittingham. I have never heard of this before, hey they let Hans Olsen at practices. What is the difference? I have always respected Whittingham as a football player and a coach, now I don't know if I can respect the guy at all. What a sophmoric thing to do.

Aug. 6, 2010 10:11 a.m.

come on bradleyc!

read the article! not Kyle's call!

sheesh bradleyc!

• Cougarista
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:14 a.m.

Uoobies are paranoid. They need to grow up.

• COUGARNATE
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:25 a.m.

I am laughing at some of the utes fans posts. Listening to you guys trying to justify this. All teams from big conferences act like this. HA! HA! Then why does the SEC have so many practices open to the public. You guys are so hillarious. Keep thinking that way. Oh yeah I just heard that you guys don't even get a share of the Pac 12 money until 2013. So much for being big time. You will still be playing in the Poinsettia Bowl, you will just be playing in a different conference.

• shaybo
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:30 a.m.

Max Hall was totally right about everything.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:33 a.m.

Hey yewties -

If you're so full of 'class', why doesn't your leadership trust the media?

Another reason why Max was right....

Aug. 6, 2010 10:35 a.m.

@Cougarnate

guess what, no one respects you either, because you clearly DIDNT READ THE ARTICLE!

• utahcountyute
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:37 a.m.

OK imagine this being said in a really bad lisp

"You guys are so classless! I can't believe you would turn away one of our greatest players ever! It's not like your practices are like top-secret or something."

Get over it! His practice, he can do what he wants. I'm sure Bronco would do the same if Brian Johnson showed up down south anyway.

The kitties are crying about nothing. You should be worrying about your team going up against USU.

• ute4ever
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:37 a.m.

@ Big_Ben 10:05

I agree that 1280 the zone has stunk it up for a while now. Ever since the big exodus....they are terrible. Can't even listen.

Monson is the absolute worst. He got mad at Urban Meyer back in the day because he wouldn't grant him an interview and has had a burr in his butt since then about Urban. Now he has a burr in because Whitt wants to concentrate on this year. Really, if you do anything to make Monson's job harder....you get on his bad side.

For me, KFAN is MUCH better. I'd prefer to listen to Locke who actually does some prep work before his shows and has guests that add insight rather than just get on there and spout off opinions. He really breaks it down, which is a huge differnece from Monson, who's "opinion" is the only thing he gives.

• utahcountyute
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:42 a.m.

OK, the Brian Johnson example would not work cause he is a coach. Although I am pretty confident Bronco would send him packing :)

Let's just say any former Ute player at a byu practice would be asked to leave firmly.

• RepresentBlue
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:51 a.m.

I couldn't care less if Whittingham asks a member of the media to leave his practice, bu we all know that if Bronco had done this to a former Ute player, like Kyle Gunther, the Ute fans would be coming out of the woodwork to assail Bronco.

• DrDave
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:51 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how the comments flip if Bronco kicks Gunther from the BYU practice on Saturday.

• SoCalUtahFan
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:57 a.m.

If Utah put all writers/reporters thru a re-qualification process, who do you think will not qualify?

Jorgensen would be one of them...

• TruBlue
    Aug. 6, 2010 10:58 a.m.

@ imcrimson - Thank you for proving that Utah's achievements CAN be covered in one sentence.

U folks are just priceless!

Seems like the tables are turning on the precious "arrogance" claims. Ute fan, can you really tell me that this doesn't wreak of arrogance?

• MTF
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:05 a.m.

Re: Bear6

You wrote: "Ute coaches and fans should have welcomed Jorgensen to practice with open arms. Maybe he was there to help out the program. It could have been history repeating itself seeing that most of the Utes success has come from a Leader (Whittingham) that learned from the best, as in Coach Edwards. Face its, BYU products have made you what you think you are today."

Your last sentence is funny, and not just because you later called out Utah fans' spelling. Your address must be 123 Living-in-a-glass-house-throwing-stones Drive. You have to acknowledge all of BYU's history. Your history didn't start when Lavell arrived, skip Crowton and start again with Bronco.

Lavell Edwards was not a "BYU product". He was a Utah State product. Maybe that is why you stole their school colors.

Aug. 6, 2010 11:08 a.m.

@ute4ever

I personally cant stand locke. but yeah, he does a better job of preperation and has better guests than monson does. Ever listen to Bill and Spence?

• DEW Cougars
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:19 a.m.

wow is this news worthy?

• imcrimson
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Hey TruBlue - that was a cute and cleaver comment and I'm sure you feel good about yourself. I only listed some things that Utah has done that BYU fans are dealing poorly with. I likewise remember Utah fans having a hard time with 1984 as well. My point wasn't that Utah has accomplished more (because the reality is both schools are both same thing) - my point was why are we making this Jorgensen thing a big deal? Your attitude and comment kind of proved my point. Relax Cougar fans - we'll all get through this and it's going to be okay.

• ute4ever
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:30 a.m.

@ COUGARNATE 10:25

You apparently are such an expert on SEC football that you can enlighten us on how many practices are open to the public. Fact is, I know a few things about Indiana which, again, is one of the lowliest of football programs in the BIG 10. NONE of their practices are open to the public. That is just how it is when there is so much on the line between winning and losing. So, I admire Utah for doing everything in their power to keep all the advantages and trade secretes tight.

Despite your intimate knowledge of college football, it amazes me you don't know how much money Utah gets of the PAC 10 share when they get in. In 2011, they get nothing. In 2012, they get 1/2 the share (1/2 of $16 million is $8 million, which is better than the $1 million the MWC teams get), in 2013 they get 75% share, and in 2014 they get 100% share. I'm sure you already knew that since its been documented several times....but maybe you only know about the SEC football monies being the expert there and all!!!

• jazzbball
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:31 a.m.

The "This is how teams from big conferences act" comment was hilarious! Wow...

Way to go Utah fan. What a classic response to the situation.....

But BYU fans are the arrogant ones, right? Hmm....

• Arynen
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:34 a.m.

V/O | 9:18 a.m

"Anyhow I think any X-Zoob should never be allowed into UTAH Football practice period! Have them go to good ol' happy valley & cover "Provo State"

Go UTES"
    ---------------------------------

ROFLOL!!! V/O, how well do you know your football coaching staff?

• TheHailstorm
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:44 a.m.

I graduated from the,"U" and my wife from nursing school at the,"Y". After reading all of the blew bloods venomous comments she said that she hadn't seen that much display of testosterone in the 4 years on the BYU campus.
    I read the comments often and , for the sake of argument , could we limit the smack to just the Mend and Maul, coach Kyle era ?

Aug. 6, 2010 11:54 a.m.

clearly, he did not make the call. And clearly, you did not read the story.

• Henry Drummond
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:56 a.m.

I believe Jan is a man of his word. If he will say he never uses his position as a reporter to provide private scouting reports to other teams, he should be allowed into practice. I think Dick Harmon would be the perfect individual to ask him that question. You can even the ask the other reporters the same question if you like.

Fair enough?

• Uteology
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:05 p.m.

Arynen | 11:34 a.m. Aug. 6, 2010

ROFLOL!!! V/O, how well do you know your football coaching staff?

---------------

FYI...

Anyone that rejects BYU for Utah is not a Zoob.

• Magic Happens
    Aug. 6, 2010 12:36 p.m.

Re: Brave Sir Robin @ 8:11

Love the screen name! Maybe you can answer this: do coconuts migrate?

• Golfhack20
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Wow read the story again. Coach Witt did not ask him to leave so it is not his fault. Are you telling me that if Gunther or BJ went to Coug's practice they would be sitting around the cooler giving secrets. Nice try get over yourselves, Witt is judged for everything he does. I guess to me that proves Bronco isn't that much better than is he? No show me your stats I love it when you spin them in your favor. Get on the field that is what matters.

• sports-junkie
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:17 p.m.

"This is getting ridiculous. I wish those that screen the comments would look at them and throw out any comments that said "this just shows how petty and rediculous KW can be" or "lost respect for him today"

clearly, he did not make the call. And clearly, you did not read the story. "

I did read the story and my comment obviously got under your skin... and my comment did get thrown out. When was the last time you said "this is getting rediculous" to any post by hedgehog? You claim to have a level head about the rivalry... obviously thats not true.

I'm pretty sure any and all current and former utah students would be more than welcome down in Provo on the first day. Bronco would give them a pen and paper and tell them to make a list of who finished the run to the Y. First days cant be that complicated.

• JayDee
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:19 p.m.

Ute fans would do well to follow KWhitt's example--
    no mention about the Pac 10-12 until the season is over.

Remember, you are not currently in a "big-time conference" (unless you consider the MWC such...which you constantly claim is not the case).

You are still from a non-AQ conference. Any belittling you do of current MWC foes just stokes the fires.

With the running of your mouths, anything less than a MWC championship from the team on the hill this year, in every sport, will be a major choke job.
    Good luck with that.

• AZguy
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:20 p.m.

See the comments on this board was worth a chuckle. Good zingers and comebacks from both sides. Well done! Can't we just all be friends? We can have the week of the big game and the weekend for each basketball game to talk trash, zing each other, paint our faces, and act like sophomores. Then we should go into hibernation for the year. How about it?.....No? Bummer

One mother: "Can't you two just be friends and get along? You play together all the time."
    "No, becuase he wears blue."
    "No, because he wears red."

Mother: "You niether the bloods nor the crypts. It's just football."

• MOUte
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:25 p.m.

Henry Drummond | 11:56 a.m. Aug. 6, 2010

Interesting comment. So, if Jorgensen says it, you can take it to the bank, right?

Isn't this the same guy who was reprimanded by the league last year for shooting off his mouth about Air Force?

• TrueBlue
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:48 p.m.

"According to Jorgensen, Utah media relations specialist Liz Abel approached him and said head coach Kyle Whittingham was not comfortable having him at practice and requested he leave."

Clearly, Whittingham initiated Jan's removal from practice because of Kyle's own paranoia about a reporter who used to play for BYU "spying" on his practice.

Just when you think Kyle is finally starting to mature from his onside kick fiasco, he demonstrates his immaturity once again.

Utah fans can try to sugarcoat this all they want to but we all know they'd be all over this if Bronco had done the exact same thing to Gunther.

Either you allow all reporters into your practices or you don't allow any. Kyle may be moving to the big leagues, but he's still acting like he's in PeeWee league.

Aug. 6, 2010 1:53 p.m.

@sports junkie

you have me confused with someone else, or you are attempting to do stand up comedy. I am always on hedgehog and Chris b for trolling the boards. They are always complaining about me being a "sellout" or "ignorant".

and dont give yourself any credit. your comment didn't "get under my skin", its just annoying to read post after post spewing nonsense without reading the article. its counter productive to having good discussion, which is what Im all about.

• Puddy
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:53 p.m.

Re: MOUte

Since the PR person said that it wasn't Whit that threw Jorgensen out, I guess we should take that to the bank too? Who's to say she isn't just taking the blame for it?

Isn't Whit the same guy who had his team do an onside kick against Wyoming while up 45-0?

• CG
    Aug. 6, 2010 1:58 p.m.

MOUte

what does a reprimand from the MWC for spouting off about an opponent have to do with being a reporter?

Nice red herring, but I fail to see the connection.

Are you suggesting that Jan wasn't actually kicked out of Utah's practice and that he made the whole thing up just to make kwhit look petty?

Just admit that King Whit was acting paranoid and move on.

• wyoming cougar
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:07 p.m.

Apparently K-twit has forgotten the lessons he learned about life from Lavell Edwards, and instead focuses more on the example of urban- wasn't he the one who recently attacked and threatened a reporter because he asked a question about a comment made by a player during an earlier interview.

If this is how the "upper" half operate, then I'd just as soon have nothing to do with them.

And to all the hypocritical u fans on the message boards- if this situation was in reverse, there would be 500 comments on here already ripping all over Bronco and BYU for their mid-major bush-league tactics. But if it deals with the mighty, holier-than-thou u program it must be ok and you should just 'leave us alone'.

Here's to u and your 7-5 season at best coming up!!!

• Thriller
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:28 p.m.

Has anyone considered the possibility that they were more concerned with Jorgensen being a distraction than about him being a spy? They never accused him of spying on the practice, like the byu comments would have us believe. But think about it, a byu grad who played for the cougars last season and is known for mouthing off shows up at the first day of practice at the U. He is not going to sit there quietly and be the model journalist, he is going to be a distraction.

• Boom
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:29 p.m.

Lighten up Cougs you got caught trying to spy. Clearly Bronco sent his henchman to scout out Utah's practice in attempts to figure out how to go undefeated and then crush the BCS.

2-0

vs

0-0

• sports-junkie
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:41 p.m.

Well, there were numerous other people talking about how Whitt made an error in judgement, but I didnt see you calling for their post to be removed. In fact, Ive never seen you complain to have a post removed EVER! Some of your ute buddies post some of the most rediculous things about BYU but I never see anyone, red or blue calling for DN to remove the post... thats why I was certain that my comment put you over the top.

• MOUte
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:47 p.m.

CG | 1:58 p.m. Aug. 6, 2010

You fail to see the connection? Really?? Jan says he's there to do a report. You believe him...I don't. His behavior last year is foundational to the circumstances today, in my opinion. Your basis for believing him is???

I concur with Liz Abel's actions.

His assignment to cover a Ute practice could very well have been an error in judgment by the person who sent him.

"I'm sure coach Whittingham was doing what he believed was looking out for his team," said Jorgensen.

Sounds to me like Jorgensen understands the situation...why can't you?

Aug. 6, 2010 2:50 p.m.

@ Thriller

Thats what I think it was. Most of the ute players would know him. They probably felt like he would be a distraction. Whit wants his guys focused. It was a poor decision by 1280 the zone to have him go there. Yes, Hans was allowed there, but he has not played at BYU in a decade and no one knows who he is.

As a ute fan, I am very impressed with how the utah football staff has handled things this year. I think we are in for a treat this year.

cant wait! less than four weeks away now!

• mrod24
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:52 p.m.

spying? come on. USC during the entire carroll era had open practices EVERY DAY to the public

• MOUte
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:56 p.m.

I just noticed the story was written by none other than Dick Harmon.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Dick Harmon is a liability to the DN and needs to be assigned to a different school. In fact, he and his fellow sports reporters should be rotated every few years...Jorgensen can start his career covering Utah State.

This story is a dream come true for Harmon. Pathetic!

• Bitterman
    Aug. 6, 2010 2:58 p.m.

I guess if you can't keep Jan out of your QB's earhole, at least you can keep him out of your practice...

• anti BCS
    Aug. 6, 2010 3:07 p.m.

If all it takes for the Utes to be "distracted" is having a former BYU player standing on the sidelines, the Utes are in serious trouble.

sorry, boom

The last thing Bronco needs is inside tips on how to run a Mickey MoUse practice.

Bronco already knows how to beat Kyle, 3 out of 5 head to head, including 3 of the last 4.

And if Bronco needs advice he's already got the College Football Hall of Fame coach who taught Kyle everything he knows about football.

Aug. 6, 2010 3:08 p.m.

@sports junkie

yours was the most handy, it was right there. I just wish people would READ the article and comprehend it before spouting off such non-sense. As far as the ute fans who spout off non-sense, they are trolls and they drive me nuts too.

• Henry Drummond
    Aug. 6, 2010 3:15 p.m.

@MOUte

Hey I'm a big a Utah fan but I recognize a class act when I see it. He criticized his own fans for their part in the ugliness that sometimes surrounds the Great Rivalry rather than taking the one sided view that others often do. I would bet Kyle would accept his word as would others. Give him a chance.

• PAC man
    Aug. 6, 2010 3:25 p.m.

Why did we even invite such a paranoid coach and fan base to join our elite BCS league?

If they're this scared of weak little mid-major schools, how are they ever going to compete against the big boys of the PAC?

Oh well. At least they can help Washington State and Colorado feel good about themselves.

Aug. 6, 2010 3:38 p.m.

@ anti BCS

thats a load of garbage. If Brian Johnson showed up last year to BYU camp as a media member (which he was) , the BYU players would have been distracted, it would have at least been on thier minds.

And bragging about "3 of 5" is pretty silly. Thats hardly enough to make a case for domination.

• Anne26
    Aug. 6, 2010 3:43 p.m.

Honestly, it is the media who lives and breathes the Utah/BYU controversy. I quit listening to sports radio a few weeks ago when they started yet another segment with the BYU/Utah rivalry and how it will be affected by the Utes move to the PAC-12. I am weary of the need the media has to feed the fire and create further controversy. It is time to lay it to rest. Happily, after this season we just might be able to hear news stories about one school without the other one even being mentioned.

• anti BCS
    Aug. 6, 2010 3:55 p.m.

I doubt Brian Johnson would have distracted any BYU players; certainly not enough to disrupt practice or bother Bronco enough to have Brian kicked out of practice.

The is strictly Kyle's MO, throwing another one of his little temper tantrums to get one final dig in at Jan for helping to beat him last season; same kind of thing Kyle did in calling for the onside kick against Wyoming.

• imcrimson
    Aug. 6, 2010 3:55 p.m.

Hey Anti BCS-

Put your big boy pants on for a minute and let's talk facts and not your little emotions...

3 out of 5 is correct and that is a grand total of 1 game better.

3 of last 4 is also correct. All 3 wins were last minute improbable wins but they were wins (and great games)congratulations.

3 of the last 8 is also correct.

7 of the last 17 is also correct.

Whittingham learning from Edwards is correct. He also learned from McBride and Meyer while Bronco was learning from Crowton. The truth is Bronco is a good coach and a good man and I'm trying not to get caught in your jr high school silliness.

C'mon everybody - just admit that there is really not a lot of difference between the two schools and most of the degrading comments on this thread makes us all sound like hillbillies.

Go Utes and Go Cougs (except when they play each other).

• utahcountyute
    Aug. 6, 2010 3:58 p.m.

You coogs are hilarious!

At times you all say that Kwitt is classless and a horrible coach next to Bronco.... That he ran up the score against the pokes and a miriad of other deficiencies.

Then you all make references that Kyle learned everything from Lavell.

Which is it?!!!

• imcrimson
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Well said Anne26! I will read your posts anytime. Congratulations you have some common sense. There are great fans at both schools and there are jerks at both schools and they seem to gravitate to these message boards. They are the same ones that are throwing stuff at fans at games (which happens at both schools equally!).

Aug. 6, 2010 4:10 p.m.

well said utahcountyute, i doubt they realize the irony. too good.

@anti BCS

your post told me all I need to know. You are a drama queen and have officially been added to my "ignore user" list. Thanks! appreciate the info!

• redfeather
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:19 p.m.

Kyle learned how to coach from LaVell. He learned how to be classless from Urban. He learned how to win from both.

• UtahUtes1
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:20 p.m.

Arynen | 11:34 a.m. Aug. 6, 2010

Your observation is absolutely hilarious...I'm still laughing. As you said...ROFLOL!!!

• spokaloo
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:25 p.m.

He's still afraid of Jorgenson...funny.

• moodyblue77
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:27 p.m.

Does this remind anyone of cold fusion?

• utahcountyute
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:37 p.m.

"He was concerned about the capacity in which he was there"

Did Kyle even know that Jan was working for 1280? My guess is no. I'm sure he gets enough of the radio types and would not be caught dead listening to them in his free time.

You have players who know who Jan is. Kyle does not know why he is seeing a former (loud mouth) byu player and questions why he is there. PR lady asks him to leave. Pretty straight forward.

Kyle does not mess around and who can blame him.

• BoringGuy
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:39 p.m.

Of course we don't want a BYU loyal at our first practice. It's a bad omen for the entire season.

Would the Cougars want one of our great defenders at your first practice. I think not.

Come to think of it, the Utes shouldn't let anyone from the D-news in either. It's basically an arm of BYU's PR Department.

I swear each morning, Brad Rock, Dick Harmon, and crew get together and devise negative stories they can cook up to bring the Utes down.

Whit probably has a bulletin board full of D-News stories he uses to motivate his troops.

• wyoming cougar
    Aug. 6, 2010 4:51 p.m.

utahcountyute-

Kyle initially learned from Lavell, but then went through the urban years- which definitely turned him into a different person. That's when and where the lack of respect came from- he couldn't even call the school by it's proper name, had urinal cakes printed with BYU on them installed in the locker room, etc. This rivalry wasn't nearly so ugly until those years.

To make matters worse that was the Gary Crowton era, and he didn't do much at taking the higher road either, but bit hook, line, and sinker. Before long things got way out of control and here we are today.

Any way you look at it- urban was the first and biggest classless leader associated with the rivalry, and k-twit has just followed in his footsteps.

• gdog3
    Aug. 6, 2010 5:14 p.m.

Jan has MANY 'blue' friends that he could share Ute information with. Not that he would, but an objective evaluation can lead one to understand why Whit might be concerned here.

Remember, Whit did NOT ask Jan to leave. Liz Abel made the call and I am sure it was uncomfortable for her to do. I support her decision but at the same time, I don't want to shoot distrust towards Jan either.

With all of this said, is it really a big deal at this point? Jan coming to the hill and being rolled down is the inconvenience. Will he be welcome back? I don't know, but my guess is yes.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 6, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Seriously, the only reason he was kicked out was because BYU doesn't play on Sunday.

• Uteology
    Aug. 6, 2010 5:26 p.m.

I the reason Jan was removed was because a Ute fan was about to pour beer on hm. Kyle just saved his life, you BYU fans should be thanking him.

Why is it that Dick is the only on reporting this as an issue. SL Trib, nope. ESPN, nope.

Move on fokes, this is a non issue.

• Y Ask Y
    Aug. 6, 2010 5:27 p.m.

Jan is a spy. Kyle knows how the BYU program works.

• imcrimson
    Aug. 6, 2010 5:44 p.m.

Wyoming Cougar - Take a close look at yourself. You didn't like Meyer and you don't like Whittingham. You call them classless. And the common denominator with them is they both took the Utes to a BCS game. I suspect if Boylen is successful takes the Utes back to the 16s and 8s that it is used to - you will call him classless too. Why can't you just be happy with your Cougars and let the Utes be happy with their team. Why all the silliness and insecurity?

• MUSSing with U
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:05 p.m.

paranoia is running rampant on the hill

BYU sending in spies disguised as reporters to steal top secret practice strategies that all of the other reporters are too clueless to see

all of the MWC teams conspiring to gang up on the Utes

they're too good to even be associated with the MWC, yet they're acting like scared little rabbits

lovely

• Slim Shady 801
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:13 p.m.

Liz Abel is a joke. Honey, you guys are few months removed from the PAC 12. I think you need to get in contact with the SID's in the PAC 12. Oh, I like the Assistant AD title. Silly.

By the way, USC had open practices all the time as long with many others in the conference. Clearly there is a gulf between the MWC and the PAC 12 thinking.

• scenic view
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:17 p.m.

anti BCS is correct

This is just anothor one of Kyle's juvenile stunts to get revenge for getting beat last year.

Kyle gets his feeling hurt because an opposing coach guarantees a win over Utah, so he gets revenge by trying an onside kick when he's up by 50.

Kyle gets his feeling hurt because Jan helped beat him last year, so he gets revenge by kicking Jan out of practice.

• Jimmy James
    Aug. 6, 2010 6:49 p.m.

This just in: teams might actually be practicing plays they don't want their competition to find out about during a CLOSED practice.

Think about it a theoretical situation: Would a former TCU player be welcome at a Boise State practice last season? No way no how. Boise State lives and dies on the trick plays, and if a former TCU player had tipped his previous team off about a certain trick play (like the one used to beat TCU in a BCS bowl game), it could have had disastrous consequences for Boise State.

While Jorgensen is not a BYU player anymore, he's still too close for my comfort. You don't think he still hangs out with some of his football buddies who are still playing?

Utah had every right to ask him to leave, and, it sounds like Jorgensen was more than willing to be respectful of that. If it makes you feel better, 1280 can opt to not send Gunther to the BYU practice...

• Archie
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:02 p.m.

These posts are great entertainment.

Jorgensen is fine with the incident and understands the actions. So...what's the problem with BYU fans? Oh, wait, I already know the answer to that question.

Ok, so the next question is, why is this story even being reported: Followed closely by: How did Dick Harmon get this story?

I think Jorgensen has the answer to those questions.

• MOUte
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:08 p.m.

wyoming cougar | 4:51 p.m. Aug. 6, 2010

Good grief, did you dream up that conspiracy all by yourself? You need to get back on your meds.

btw; the US really did land on the moon.

• Jazzsmack
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:30 p.m.

Funny,

HOw utah never got the BCS level, until they had EX BYU Players coachng them.

• 3grandslams
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:39 p.m.

C'mon Whit this is equal to on-sides when up by 40! Keep acting this way and the PAC 10 is going to eat you up. You'll be laughed out of a job.

• scott
    Aug. 6, 2010 7:42 p.m.

Jimmy James

Think about this:

NOBODY is practicing plays that they might not want their competition to find out about IN THEIR FIRST practice without pads.

And, NOBDOY is practicing plays that they might not want their competition to find out about FOUR MONTHS before they play that competition.

Try using a little common sense. Guaranteed, if Bronco has a practice that any reporters are free to attend, he won't be kicking reporters with ties to Utah out of practice.

Kyle was just demonstrating his immaturity.

• SportsFan
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:19 p.m.

"Jorgensen is fine with the incident and understands the actions. So...what's the problem with BYU fans?"

Jorgensen is just being an adult about the incident.

BYU fans are just pointing out how childish Whittingham is being.

Bronco would never do something so juvenile; but, we all know that Utah fans would never let it rest if Bronco ever kicked a "Utah" reporter out of a practice.

• BoringGuy
    Aug. 6, 2010 8:38 p.m.

@scott

"Kyle was just demonstrating his immaturity."

It's so immature to not want players from your arch-rival there casting a shadow and negative vibe over your first practice of the summer.

The coaches didn't want him there, the players didn't want him there, and we fans don't want him there.

Coach Whit did the right thing looking out for his players.

If this is such a big deal and you're so hurt, you can cry yourself to sleep tonight with your Vegas Bowl trophy.

• MOUte
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:27 p.m.

Hey, this is interesting I just read the article about BYU's running backs...

"THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MICROPHONE: Two key members of last year's BYU defense, safety Scott Johnson and defensive lineman Jan Jorgensen, have graduated. Their new jobs involve covering the 2010 squad on the radio."

If Jorgensen is "covering the 2010 squad on the radio," why is he at Utah's practice? Nothing better to do today than attend a practice closed to the public? Wanted to spend some quality time with Dick Harmon but needed a good reason?

Well?

This drama is great fun!

• CougarOnTheProwl
    Aug. 6, 2010 9:37 p.m.

This is rediculous, Jan was simply trying to do his job as an employee of 1280 the zone. If other media members were welcome to attend, then Jan has just as much right to be there as they do. This just proves how paranoid the utes really are. What is next will they build a 50 foot max. security fence around their facilities? If Whitt is gonna be that way then the media should just boycott covering the utes alltogether.

• VegasUte
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:07 p.m.

Found a GREAT t-shirt. It says "Fully Invited"! Best t-shirt since "Quest Perfected"! Too great!

Go Utes! Go Whitt - You are the man!

For all you zoobs - the fUtUre is Crimson, get Used to it!!

• Archie
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:15 p.m.

CougarOnTheProwl

"If Whitt is gonna be that way then the media should just boycott covering the utes alltogether."

Yeah, because the Deseret News is completely fair to Utes and Jorgensen was anxious to talk about what a great program they have.

I completely support Coach Whittingham and the Utah athletic staff. Besides, it's fun watching the tds collective spin out of control.

• FYI
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:26 p.m.

Too bad Liz Abel didn't just tell him the truth, THE PRACTICES ARE CLOSED!!!

• Puddy
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:37 p.m.

Re: Otis

Enough with the Sunday play thing. We already know why Utah was invited to the Pac 10.

• Just Truth
    Aug. 6, 2010 11:55 p.m.

hahahaha...hilarious, juvenile, and silly...hahahahaha...but oh so funny...

• PAC man
    Aug. 7, 2010 7:26 a.m.

Kyle will fit right in with Lane Kiffin of the USC.

• Archie
    Aug. 7, 2010 8:37 a.m.

Puddy | 11:37 p.m. Aug. 6, 2010

I agree completely, we do know why Utah was invited to the PAC:

1) Academics
    2) Research
    3) Athletic prowess

Now, back to the topic of the article...

Good decision coach Whittingham and GO UTES!!!!

• Utah Alum
    Aug. 7, 2010 9:46 a.m.

Whittingham should either allow all credentialed media into his practices, or none.

Kicking out a reporter just because he has BYU ties is bush league. I'm disappointed in Kyle. I thought he'd matured since that Wyoming debacle.

• ConferenceofChampions
    Aug. 7, 2010 10:01 a.m.

Bummer for Jan. Im sure he was excited to see his first "real" football practice, since he's never attended one before.

• UtahUtes1
    Aug. 7, 2010 11:08 a.m.

Jorgensen is intelligent enough to read. The practices are closed to the public. That message was communicated clearly before practices began this week. There is nothing to debate.

End of story.

• Skierelmo
    Aug. 7, 2010 11:29 a.m.

A few things for the shortsighted to consider. Both BYU and USC have ran the same offenses since the 70s. If either of them had a closed practice, it would be cause for privacy . Add in the fact that Utah has player specific formations, and as the other articles have pointed out....... formations are what they were working on...... makes sense to me.

By the way...... Jan handled this like a grown up, why can't the oldest fan base in the country?

• SportsFan
    Aug. 7, 2010 11:54 a.m.

Were there other reporters at the practice who were also asked to leave because it was a "closed practice"?

Just admit it. Kyle was still feeling the pain of losing another heartbreaker to BYU and took out his frustration on Jan.

• SigmundF
    Aug. 7, 2010 1:18 p.m.

Was Max Hall correct again? "Utah Classless"?

• hedgehog
    Aug. 7, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Funny how DICK got the story.....

Strange how Jorgensen (Kojack) went to a BYU homer with the details.

I'm sure Mendencode and Jorgensen speak all the time.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 7, 2010 6:52 p.m.

Hedghog,

Don't you ever have anything good to say about BYU? Just because BYU has never been invited to join an elite BCS Conference doesn't mean there is nothing good to say about BYU.

Just because BYU has never been to a BCS Bowl doesn't mean that there is nothing good to say about BYU.

Just because BYU is 4-25 in it's last 25 games against ranked teams doesn't mean that there is nothing good to say about BYU.

Just because BYU hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in almost 30 years doesn't mean that there is nothing good to say about BYU.

There are lots of good things to say about BYU. Like, BYU doesn't play on Sundays and taco salads at the CougarEat are actually pretty good.

Give praise where praise is due is my motto.

• Archie
    Aug. 7, 2010 7:38 p.m.

Otis Spurlock

Hilarious...well done!

Hedge @ 4:03 is absolutely correct.

The Utes are gonna roll...let the season begin!

• Las Vegas Coug
    Aug. 8, 2010 12:45 a.m.

Otis,

How dare a ute talk about anything prior to the most recent season. Having lived in SLC for 25 years the word "PAST" was a four-letter word to ute fans. They would just gear up for the FUTURE in hopes to beat BYU the upcoming season. Every time 1984 was mentioned all ute fans would just cringe. They get so irritated when hearing the following:

3 of the last 4
    Bronco 3, Kyle 2
    Top 25 finishes: BYU 17, Utah 6

Also, speaking of ranked teams, how many ranked teams did Utah beat last season in football? That would be ZERO. BYU beat 3 ranked opponents in 2009.

I had to laugh when you brought up basketball...Ute fan still livin' in the PAST.

But hey, in the near FUTURE you'll be in the Pac 10. At least there's something to talk about (just don't let Kyle hear you until 2011).

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 8, 2010 12:50 p.m.

Las Vegas Coug,

I love talking about the past too. I have fond memories of eating my grandma's sugar cookies and listening to her talk about Elvis Presley.

You know what is even more fun? Living in the present. Presently, the score is:

Utah PAC 12

BYU MWC

Utah 2 BCS Bowls

BYU 0 BCS Bowls

Utah 8-3 against BYU this decade

Utah 22nd best basketball program of all time (ESPN)

BYU Quest for Perfection!!

Us BYU fans love talking about the past, because the past is all we have.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 8, 2010 12:55 p.m.

Vegas Coug,

Do you need a hug? I know it must be very difficult and emotional watching the Utes move on to much better and much bigger things. It's kind of like watching your big brother dating Megan Fox while you are stuck dating Rosie O'Donnell. :)

• Live From the Swamp
    Aug. 9, 2010 4:39 p.m.

Urban closed Florida's practices to "Scum". Whit must still be following in his foot steps.

Jorgensen and Gunther are a joke. So is Harmon - he should be next on the "Scum" list.

• KtotheL
    Aug. 9, 2010 4:48 p.m.

Kyle should excuse himself from practice as well...former BYU player & grad. He's brought the Utes to greatness because of his alma mater. So, my Ute friends, you are most welcome. Please return the favor sometime.

• Warrik
    Aug. 10, 2010 7:50 p.m.

Looks like 1280 won't be getting too many people into practice if they can only use "real" journalists.

By the way Otis Spurlock, you need to learn how to count a decade only has 10 years not 11, and if we're living in the present, the Utes are in the MWC. If we're living in the future then we can count then as members of the PAC12