BYU football: Malosi Te'o transferring to Hawaii

Comments

• Chris B
    July 26, 2010 3:29 p.m.

This is getting better and better. Can't wait to see a 5-7 tds football team.

• Tom in CA
    July 26, 2010 3:36 p.m.

It's always good to beat Chris B. and hedgehog to the punch - they'll be chiming in shortly so no worries.

Well - I guess this move says something about the running back situation in Provo. As in - pretty good competition.

Good luck anyways to Te'o.

• HatedU
    July 26, 2010 3:36 p.m.

Nothing like playing in front of your home town. Good luck to him.

• Big_Ben
    July 26, 2010 3:44 p.m.

I love it when someone transfers somewhere and they will get to play their old team. Best of luck to this young man in his pursuits.

• hedgehog
    July 26, 2010 3:51 p.m.

ahh, the smell of a rotting football program

• Big_Ben
    July 26, 2010 3:51 p.m.

Please, no one acknowledge the first post on this story, at 3:29 pm. Please, please, please, just let it go.

• twinkle twinkle
    July 26, 2010 4:06 p.m.

Wow, he is going to be pushing 30 by the time his final year of eligibility rolls around.

• Quality-Control
    July 26, 2010 4:08 p.m.

Best of luck to Malosi. Hopefully the recent events with the two Te'o boys and Harvey won't damage the Polynesian pipeline.

• RepresentBlue
    July 26, 2010 4:08 p.m.

Probably a good move for Malosi since he probably would not have seen much, if any, playing time at BYU. Wish him the best of luck with the Warriors.

• plyxply
    July 26, 2010 4:09 p.m.

Big_Ben that's a good point, I think it's good for both the player and the program he left when they can play each other. The Cougars are loaded at rb, good luck to Te'o in Hawaii.

• desertsage
    July 26, 2010 4:15 p.m.

you don't transfer to a WAC school unless it's Boise State...and do so with any remnant of hope to make it to the NFL.

hey...play your heart out kid.

you're off the football map...but back home.

• carman
    July 26, 2010 4:16 p.m.

Te'o has had a tough time making up his mind. This will make more room for backs to handle the ball who are passionate about Cougar football. Cougs will be fine without him, but best wishes to Te'o.

• Old Gregg
    July 26, 2010 4:22 p.m.

Can someone tell me what TDS stands for?

• CaseyA
    July 26, 2010 4:30 p.m.

The writing was already on the wall and Teo was moving to linebacker to make the field in Provo. I'm sure that move, combined with a desire to play at home, and a feeling that he wasn't getting a fair shot combined to get him into the Warriors program. I think Hawai'i is getting a good pick up.

• Willard
    July 26, 2010 4:30 p.m.

This sounds like a good move for Teo. He would have had a lot more competetion at B.Y.U. than where he is going. Hope he does well.

• ConferenceofChampions
    July 26, 2010 4:44 p.m.

Meow!!

• Tom in CA
    July 26, 2010 4:47 p.m.

@Old Gregg

TDS is an acronym meaning "Team Down South" - which refers to the Ohio State University and has its origins decades ago with the Michigan/Ohio State football rivalry. The likes of "Chris B" and "hedgehog" and their ilk think they invented it - I say we don't give them the "prestige" of being the TUN as that would be reserved for the much more prestigious Michigan Wolverines.

• Dog Fur
    July 26, 2010 4:56 p.m.

Yes what does tds stand for? Isn't The university of Utah in Provo?

• overtaxedinUT
    July 26, 2010 5:06 p.m.

TDS refers to "team dowm south". Urban myer was afraid to say the name BYU so he came up with an acronym. Many Ute fans have the same phobia and use the same reference believing that if they say the name BYU that they will invite a boogey man into their dreams. Kind of childish to me, but if helps them sleep at night, good for them.

• Cougs4Life
    July 26, 2010 5:12 p.m.

The guy was going to try and play linebacker...this won't hurt the RBs at all...

• bloggy
    July 26, 2010 5:21 p.m.

BYU is TDS? That sounds like a failed attempt at a put-down to a touchdown-happy football program.

• Utes Fan
    July 26, 2010 5:37 p.m.

TDS - Team Down South

• bradleyc
    July 26, 2010 5:45 p.m.

I wish Teo well. If I were from Hawaii it would be hard to leave. I don't blame them a bit. GO COUGARS! Cougars 61- Utes 10 (2010 Prediction)

• BleedCougarBlue
    July 26, 2010 5:46 p.m.

TDS....

shouldn't that be "Terror Down South"?

You know, seeing as how we've beat the yewties 3 out of the last 4 years and all....

• JTP
    July 26, 2010 5:47 p.m.

Good move for Te'o. I lived in Hawaii and know how passionate the Hawaiians are for their own backyard. He will do well there and BYU has a fine group of RBs to match up with Asiata & company.

I attended BYU but graduated from the U of U and love both schools. Too bad we have the likes of Chris B and hedgehog to spoil a civil discourse with their inane and negative comments. Best solution? Just ignore them. Maybe they will go away when they discover they have no credibility with thoughtful posters.

• Buster
    July 26, 2010 5:50 p.m.

If I had a better shot to play running back at 5'10", and my last name was Te'o...

Hawaii's Beaches...?
    Utah's cold winters...?

Hawaii's Beaches...?
    Utah's cold winters...?

Hawaii's Beaches...?
    Utah's cold winters...?

Beaches......

Looks like a win-win situation...

• RepresentBlue
    July 26, 2010 6:06 p.m.

"Can someone tell me what TDS stands for? "

TD is short for Touchdown, and TDS is the plural form, as in the phrase "The Cougars score LOTS of touchdowns".

• Naval Vet
    July 26, 2010 6:10 p.m.

It seems that whenever a Utah coach takes either a promotion at another school, or a lateral transfer with a school in an AQ conference, we hear zoobies invoking the rats and sinking ship analogy. So too will it be referenced should a Ute player decide to pass up his Senior year in order to enter the NFL draft.

While tdS coaches, who never get offers to coach anywhere else, have far fewer turnover conditions, this past week we have seen one coach retire, and another player transfer. All during the summer before a rebuilding year. Yet it would appear as though NOW, the zoobs have opted to couch that sea-story.

Hmmm. Must have something to do with the One-Way streets zoobies tend to live on.

• WHAT NOW?
    July 26, 2010 6:35 p.m.

5:50

Agreed.

• Buster
    July 26, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Naval Vet | 6:10 p.m.

Yawnnnnnn...

• ConferenceofChampions
    July 26, 2010 6:57 p.m.

Naval Vet is right on the money.

• Austin Coug
    July 26, 2010 7:02 p.m.

@Naval Vet

BYU coaches don't get offers to coach anywhere? You are showing your ignorance if you really believe that. BYU coaches have always stuck around and coaching has rarely been an issue at BYU.

Losing Coach Lamb is too bad but the guy is retiring. Good for him but not worried about it who replaces him.

As far as losing Malosi, I wish him well. However, BYU is stacked with talent (not experience) at LB and RB. Losing Harvey was a much bigger loss if you want comparisons. I am alot more concerned about our D-line and QB position.

• Wldflwr
    July 26, 2010 7:33 p.m.

@ JTP: You forgot to add Naval Vet and Conference of Champions

• BluCoug
    July 26, 2010 7:54 p.m.

It's better to cheer for TDS then the TUN(a) in North East Salt Lake.

• Naval Vet
    July 26, 2010 8:00 p.m.

Austin Coug:

"BYU coaches don't get offers to coach anywhere? You are showing your ignorance if you really believe that."

Okay then, who on bronKo's staff was either lured away, or declined an offer for either a position promotion or a lateral jab at an AQ school?

• Buster
    July 26, 2010 8:18 p.m.

ConferenceofChampions | 6:57 p.m. July 26, 2010
    Naval Vet is right on the money.
    ---

LOL... So Naval, Philly and Conference all agree with himself.

Bring something new to the discussion, eh?

• Naval Vet
    July 26, 2010 8:51 p.m.

"Busted" Buster:

YOU'RE the one who's been busted using multiple handles; not me.

Sad, desperate zoob.

• GoUtah
    July 26, 2010 8:56 p.m.

@Tom in CA

"TDS" works because Utah used it first in the state. "TUN" doesn't work because you would be copying Utah. Yes, Urban brought it from Ohio St., but it is ours and NOT the tds.

Good luck with that . . .

• GoUtah
    July 26, 2010 9:11 p.m.

@RepresentBlue

I think we need to change "tds." Urban brought that with him but at the time Utah and the tds were in the same conference.

With that said, I propose we change the "tds" to "mmtds." It stands for "mid-major team down south." Perhaps it's too much of a mouthful and a bit redundant? Maybe it's like Coca-Cola moving away from the "original." Given more thought, we need to stay with the original "tds."

TDS . . .It truly says enough . . .

• Buster
    July 26, 2010 9:38 p.m.

Naval

Your body of work speaks for itself.

Busted Naval, Philly Ute, Conference of Chanpions, Hedgehog, Chris B...

It's like, your world of reality is the Deseret News.

If a coach is called and tells the team he isn't interested, does he call the papers and tell them?

If it doesn't get in the paper, it didn't happen? Or do all the coaches talk to you about their offers before they make a decision?

It only gets to the papers after the coach expresses interest.

Now, if you are arguing that Utah coaches have expressed an interest to leave, then stay... or leave... vs. BYU coaches not expressing interest in leaving a team that has been a top 25 team 4 years straight, I concede.

I like that you threw in the AQ, because that takes eliminates coaches leaving for powerhouse universities like Utah State and UNLV.

I do believe that leaves Urban hitting the road after two years, and Kyle being the only one interested in leaving the U for Tennessee (after three other coaches turned it down).

If there are more, please do the research and get back to me...

That would be greaaaaat...

• Buster
    July 26, 2010 10:22 p.m.

NavalVET"
    "Sad, desperate zoob."

Serious, more name calling?

Have I already "yawned" at your insistence to post the same schoolyard posts over and over?

That's right, I alread did...

Good.

• wer
    July 26, 2010 10:47 p.m.

This info was released to the media at least a week ago. It's old news.

• Cougar Claws
    July 26, 2010 11:18 p.m.

Hawaii is getting a real good athlete in Malosi Te'o. If you've never seen his YouTube highlights you should. He would have been a huge asset to the Cougars running back arsenal, he'll tear WAC defenses up. Hawaii might actually start to run the football now with this guy up there.

I don't know if putting Te'o at linebacker was the best idea. He should have been kept at running back, and had the speed to at least play safety, maybe even corner. But I wish him the best. He would have been another nice player for BYU, but he'll be a star at Hawaii.

• Samwise
    July 26, 2010 11:26 p.m.

I am fine with being called "TDS". It was originally used by Michigan, who use it to refer to the superior The Ohio State University. So by the Utes using it to refer to BYU, they are just admitting that BYU is superior. Thank you, Ute fans. And thanks to Urban Meyer for starting it.

• AZJazzFan
    July 27, 2010 2:06 a.m.

Best wishes to Te'o. He has moved around, hopefully it wil be home sweet home for him.
    Dear Deseret News, please adhere to your standards as clearly indicated above. You have allowed the haters through whose only intention is to bash, degrade and offend. Some of these comments are clearly off topic and make it painful reading.
    To the the haters: try to love not hate, funnel your passion to support your team and bring sports to a higher standard. Thank you!

• Marky
    July 27, 2010 6:07 a.m.

TDS = Totally Dominant Studs.

• OnlyInUtah
    July 27, 2010 6:34 a.m.

I don't care if the yewts refer to BYU as TDS.. In fact, I consider the yewts so meaningless that I don't really pay attention to anything they say. Their comments are just drone.. white noise.

So back to the article.. I'm happy for T'eo. He'll fit in well at Hawaii and probably have more success there than the yewts will have in the PAC-whatever.

• Striker
    July 27, 2010 7:21 a.m.

Buster:

"It's like, your world of reality is the Deseret News."

"I expect Chris B and Uteology to agree with you, since you all are the same person..."

It's sad, isn't it? I actually don't feel bad for them. This/these is/are the person/people who have to wake up every morning and think "Hum, what horrible, awful things can I write anonymously on a blog today?" "I can't sleep, let me see what new article posted and let me post my same garbage again, but in a different way."

It's annoying, but comical to watch men act like they are 2 again.

That said, Hawai'i is a great place for school and life! Enjoy being back with your Ohana!

• SLCguy
    July 27, 2010 7:54 a.m.

Claws....

I too, think Malosi can be an excellent back for Hawaii. But to even whisper that he could play corner is a hallucination. Safety is even a stretch.

Fast to you and me is different that 'defensive back fast' in college football.

With that said; Best Wishes and Good Luck Malosi, take care of yourself and your family.

• poyman
    July 27, 2010 8:04 a.m.

Shoot, I always thought that TDS stood for "Touch DownS" and that they just left the "U" (for "University") off to keep the acronym shorter.

• GACougar
    July 27, 2010 8:20 a.m.

TDS? I can live with that.
    SNOT? Now there is an acronym for the Yoots!

• Ernest T. Bass
    July 27, 2010 8:24 a.m.

He sounds dang good. Why did the byu let him go?
    We need those awesome players and he sould have gone to byu from high school, not from UNLV.

• billybubba
    July 27, 2010 8:33 a.m.

What is it with all the urbinites and this TDS. Get over it I keep hearing about how great it is to be invited to the pac whatever but here you are ripping on BYU for what. Are you bored? Just get a life and move on (chris b, uteology, navel-lint and hedge-hog. It goes both ways fans from BYU and Utah need to find a new hobby. I can and always have been able to root for both teams (BYU first) until they play each other and this will not change.
    Good luck to teo and hope for the best for both schools

• Richard
    July 27, 2010 10:40 a.m.

for what it is worth The University of Utah was a stepping stone for Mr Meyer, He brought attitude and excitement to a also rand team. Good for them. Utah fan is like Sacramento kings fan while they were on a role 4 or 5 good years and all of the sudden you are the sexy pick. The problem is that bandwagon fans tend to be very annoying do you remember the cow bells those idiots brought to the play offs. TDS = Cowbells you know the reason Urban Meyer's bag of crude works on these kids is because it is at that level. I remember as a player getting riled by a good speech or thinking that a rival was the enemy. I'm glad I grew out of that phase and I can't get to excited about a parlor trick to make one game more important than another. Way to go Urban Utah is worse because you were there. Good luck Malosi I think you made a good choice. Faith, Family, Football.

• MarineMan
    July 27, 2010 11:03 a.m.

@Old Gregg

TDS = Ohio State

• VegasCoug
    July 27, 2010 12:19 p.m.

Good luck to Malosi at Hawaii. He was buried on the depth chart at running back and apparently didn't want to make the switch to linebacker.

I wish him well in his return back home.

• davidutefan
    July 27, 2010 12:56 p.m.

Who's next on the depth chart at RB? the backup kicker? the tuba player? or the mascot?

• dferg
    July 27, 2010 2:00 p.m.

Those that are calling for civil discussion are right: grow up, people. I'm an avid BYU fan; I bleed blue. I may joke with a Ute fan here or there occasionally (like telling someone wearing a "U" shirt or cap in the grocery store that it would look better in blue), but we both laugh and realize it's all in good fun.

But some of you - and mostly it's "U", if you catch my drift - that are just downright mean-spirited, childish, and downright hateful. Knock it off. What's gained by speaking mean and nasty things about a rival team, its players, or coaches? Is it a self-esteem issue with you? Is that it? You have to tear others down - viciously - in order to feel better about yourself? Again, grow up. Get some some help if you need it. Just learn to play nice.

That said, the kid can play where he wants; he felt he wasn't getting the shot he wanted at the Y, so he left for greener pastures. Good for him; you do what you gotta do. But theere's no lack of talent to fill the need.

• sports fan
    July 27, 2010 4:00 p.m.

dferg nobody bleeds blue, blood is red. just like U.

• poyman
    July 27, 2010 6:32 p.m.

Ya know.... Those fans that think the conversation between the yewts and the Cougs have gotten out of hand need to go and find something else to be in charge of....

One always has a choice when they read these comments.... You can comment or you cannot comment... I'll make a deal with you, you don't try and control what I do, and I won't try to control what you do.

Folks like you think "tough commenting" Coug Fans give BYU a bad name, I think folks that continuously try to control what people say (if they are a BYU fan) give BYU a bad name....

Get off our backs, I get off yours.

• utah10
    July 27, 2010 10:31 p.m.

both BYU and Utah are average programs. Utah will find out the hard way when they join the pac 10. Prediction 7-5

• Cougar Claws
    July 28, 2010 9:03 a.m.

Re: sports fan

True, but people who bleed DIE!

When blood is where it is supposed to be (FYI in your veins and arteries) it is BLUE. It only turns red when you bleed and it is exposed to oxygen.

so THERE!