Utah

'Reducing barriers': Americans with Disabilities Act marks 20 years

Comments

• md
    July 26, 2010 9:16 a.m.

This is the type of person for whom the act was written. Unfortunately, many people abuse this program and make it their goal to be determined "disabled" so they can sit on their duffs. I think the system needs to be monitored much better than it is currently.

• Clarissa
    July 26, 2010 9:21 a.m.

Because of the ADA act, I was able to teach another twenty years so I could retire. I wasn't a burden on the tax payers by having to go on disability. All I needed was air conditioning. I remember the day the law passed. I jumped for joy. I'm so grateful for it!

• GWB
    July 26, 2010 9:43 a.m.

Just think, if a bunch of Tea Party Candidates like Rand Paul, Sharon Angle, and our own Mike Lee get elected we can get rid of the ADA!!!

• MoJules
    July 26, 2010 9:43 a.m.

About 30 years ago, we lived in Orem, my husband, who is now deceased worked for Handicapped Awareness. They had done a few "handicap awareness days" in the Utah CO area. He did one for Orem, they had just put in new curb cuts by the city building/library. The mayor and some other city people were given manual wheelchairs and were given the challenge of going up and down those curb cuts. The rule, from what I recall is that for every inch of step or rise, there has to be 12" of ramp, that can be very difficult to get that accomplished when there are ten stairs and such, but it can be done. When the mayor tried these curb cuts he stated later, "I wish I had consulted a person in a wheelchair". People do not realize the strength it takes to propel in a manual chair, just going over carpet on a flat surface can be hard. ADA also protects people who are disabled and can't continue to do their job.

• Oh Please
    July 26, 2010 9:50 a.m.

Derned liberals and their doogood programs.

• Thomas Jefferson
    July 26, 2010 10:18 a.m.

If we elect mike lee and more teapartiers we can get rid of these laws and get back to survival of the fittest and the original constitution they way god and the forefathers intended.

Sarcasm, its not just for breakfast anymore.

• GWB
    July 26, 2010 10:29 a.m.

• DEW
    July 26, 2010 10:46 a.m.

you want to get rid of ADA. then do it right when those disabled can feel independent. ADA law need to fix it. Stupid law such as " no fixed service within of 3/4 mile (0.75 mile) there should be no paratransit service for certain disable people. I live in an area where there was fix service and now it is gone and next service closes to me is about 1.5 mile. What happen to the law in Utah when comes to snow day and high percentage of those people don't shovel or they are too busy.

• formerUT
    July 26, 2010 10:49 a.m.

Get rid of the ADA? Why? So you can learn what it's like to live in a completely unequal world!

People wonder why I compare the Tea Party movement to the facist Nazi movement in Germany before WWII. How can someone consider it "horrible" to get rid of a law that "levels the playing field" for ALL people? What's next for the Tea Party? Are they going to start justifying why it is cheaper for parents of children with disabilities to allow dr's to kill their children--like the Nazi's did?

You people who are against the ADA are prejudiced and STUPID!!! The changes the ADA created benefit ALL people in this country. Anyone who has used a curb cut (which is basically everyone in this country) or have used an automatic door to get into a store should be GRATEFUL for the blessings this law has brought.

And please realize that even if you can get the insane idiots from the Tea Party elected, people like myself will do everything in MY power to ensure that they are unable to over turn ANY law that YOU think they should over turn!!!!

• formerUT
    July 26, 2010 11:08 a.m.

P.S. To md:

The American's with Disabilities Act DID NOT create a "program". It created a CIVIL RIGHTS LAW!!! A law requiring the nation's people to "equalize the playing field".

NO ONE abuses this law. EVERYONE utilizes this law--and by the time you are all 90 years old EVERY person in this nation will have benefited from this CIVIL RIGHTS LAW (as, by the time you're elderly--or heck--just walk into Wally-Mart--you will have already benefited from the law cause the doors will automatically open for you, and accessible shopping carts will be provided for you)!!!!

So--to the commenters--know what the heck you're talking about before you post!

• Moosehead
    July 26, 2010 11:12 a.m.

The ADA is another well-intentioned law that, unfortunately, has a far greater cost to the public than any benefit it provides.

• DEW
    July 26, 2010 11:16 a.m.

"former UTAH" - I don't want to get rid of ADA. ADA is doing something right but not good enough.

• Pagan
    July 26, 2010 11:20 a.m.

''Reducing barriers': Americans with Disabilities Act marks 20 years' - Title of Article

Good for them!

Many on this thread got it right. Some canidates this year really DO want to get rid of any social program, like the ADA, that help Americans with Disabilities...

because it's 'socialist.'

My reply would be...

what have they been doing to help Americans with Disabilities all this time?

Nothing.

Love they neighbor does not include...

Repeal the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    Repeal Affirmative action when it is proven there is a wage difference between a white male and a black male.
    Block Unemployment for the unemployed after the Financial Meltdown.
    Etc, etc.

• Maudine
    July 26, 2010 11:37 a.m.

@ Moosehead: That would depend on how you identify the costs and benefits.

Do you really think it costs more for businesses to accommodate customers and employees with disabilities then it benefits them? Do you really think it costs society more?

Don't forget, when you are weighing the costs and benefits to look at secondary and tertiary as well as direct.

Here are a couple of hints for you: Do you think it is cheaper to install automatic doors at grocery stores or pay someone to do the grocery shopping for people who are unable to access the store because they can't get the door open?

Do you think it is more expensive to install handicapped bathrooms and elevators or pay welfare benefits to someone who is unable to work because they can't get to their office or use the restroom in the building where they work?

Do you think it is more expensive for the public to fund sidewalk cuts or pay for the wrongful death of someone who is forced to travel in the street because they have no access to the sidewalk?

Remember: each accommodation is used by multiple people.

• nehimomma
    July 26, 2010 11:50 a.m.

Thank you Deseret News for a great article...and thank you to the tea party for putting out your true colors in your comments.

Give's me more ammo when those in the tea party want to insist they are not racist/bigots or discriminatory in nature.

I'll be sure to remember this article when you are trying to convince me to vote for you...

• nehimomma
    July 26, 2010 12:10 p.m.

• My Voice
    July 26, 2010 12:23 p.m.

There are thousands of people who are still trying to function as near normally as possible when for some reason or another they have ended up in a wheelchair. I have MS. Over the past several years my ability to walk has decreased until I am now wheelchair-bound. It's hard to adjust to such disabilities when you have previously been an active person. I am grateful for those things that some of you are crabbing about that make it possible for me to function as well as I do. You never know. . .you may be next.

• DN Subscriber
    July 26, 2010 1:18 p.m.

Most of this law has been very good and beneficial. However, implementation has sometimes been taken to the heights of absurdity.

Some requirements have created huge burdens that benefit no one, except a cadre of lawyers who specialize in tort terrorism to collect money from businesses.

Also, the ADA has been used to justify supporting lazy drug abusers who have somehow obtained "handicapped" status.

The ADA is a poster child for a government program that is well intentioned, and always sold on the basis of really deserving people with real handicaps, but has unintended consequences that never get fixed.

Congress needs to go back and fix the flaws to restore some common sense and kick out the freeloaders, so we can help the truly handicapped.

• MisTexas
    July 26, 2010 1:21 p.m.

I can't believe there are people on here saying that we should get rid of the ADA! I hope you are all in a wheelchair one day and die alone in your homes, trapped.

• newzbee
    July 26, 2010 2:04 p.m.

Those who call the ADA liberal nonsense don't seem to realize that anyone can become disabled at any time. A single car crash can change your life forever. We're lucky to live in a society that has resources to help people adapt and live independently when circumstances outside their control change their lives forever.

• formerUT
    July 26, 2010 2:39 p.m.

DN Subscriber:

Obviously--your language choices display how informed and educated you are about ADA.

The appropriate (and legal) term is people WITH a disability--

NOT handicapped.

Perhaps you should READ the law before commenting about it.

And yet again, let me reiterate--the ADA is not a "program"--it is a CIVIL RIGHTS LAW!

P.S. Abuses occur in every and any law passed. Yet, many people only focus on those laws that are abused that actually benefit people who are DIFFERENT then they are. I don't read you whining and complaining about the "drug abusers" and other supposed "law-abiding" hypocrites (whom most of us likely are who read this) who break the speed limit, or jaywalk. Changing laws just because there are always people who abuse laws is not a justifiable reason to change a law!

• MenaceToSociety
    July 26, 2010 3:22 p.m.

I agree, DN Subscriber, we need to get rid of freeloaders.

Like people who have a ton of kids, but pay less in taxes than those who have no kids. If you're going to have a ton of kids, you need to pay the true societal costs for your choice, and not be a freeloader.

What was that? You did not mean THOSE freeloaders? You meant THE OTHER freeloaders that does not include you? I apologize.

• nehimomma
    July 26, 2010 3:53 p.m.

MeanaceToSociety

Fabulous LOL love it.

I'm still trying to think of how a drug abuser would abuse ADA.... I guess Drug Abusers should walk across the road without the little flashy lights telling them when to cross?? They should have to always walk up stairs if there in a wheelchair?

Being a drug addict is not a protected status...so ADA would not fall into play in one's job (your job is not protected via ADA if your a drug addict and your seeking treatment).

However I as just a mom of three kids who have 2 of them in strollers...enjoy immensely that ADA allows us to be able to get into the post office, or the grocery store without me having to get them all out of the stroller..make them walk while I fold up the stroller and try and squeeze it into the door.

Everyone in the end...one way or another will benefit from ADA.

It's not a program it's a law...DN Subscriber and all the Tea Party Zealots...it's a law you enjoy. Please quit confusing Social Security Disability with ADA. Your ignorance is shining through.

• Bubble
    July 26, 2010 4:36 p.m.

@ DN Subscriber: Please provide examples of abuse of the ADA and suggestions on how to prevent such abuse.

Thank you.

(Because otherwise, I call BS.)

• JBs
    July 26, 2010 6:06 p.m.

As someone who works solely with people with disabilities, for every dollar spent on re-training or educating someone with a disability, there is a $5 - $20 return on investment in the form of taxes, personal money spent, etc. The ADA helped pave the way and allow people with disabilities to become a part of society, where they belong.

• JBs
    July 26, 2010 6:11 p.m.

Moosehead and others -- Not true. Most accommodations provided to allow people with disabilities to work don't cost anything. If they do, of those, most cost less than $500. That is returned to the employer in productivity, etc.

Please, Everyone, get the facts before posting. If you knew how much people with disabilities contribute to society and the economy, you would be amazed.

Did you know that in 2005 there were more than 40 million Americans that had a disability? They are the largest minority in the U.S. and the most discriminated against, in particular those with mental illnesses. The ADA does NOT provide preferential treatment to people with disabilities. It does, however, provide a level playing field for them. The money spent provides a much better return than any stock you can buy.

• MormonDem
    July 27, 2010 12:40 a.m.

Yup. The extremist rightwingers that the GOP wants us to elect think the ADA is socialism. Mike Lee and Sharton Angle are simply not mainstream.

• Esquire
    July 27, 2010 6:04 a.m.

Conservatives opposition to the ADA is a good example of why being a conservative is not a good thing.