Opinion

In our opinion: Enough dithering over leases

Comments

• Hutterite
    July 18, 2010 12:22 a.m.

"Eased the nations' energy needs"...yeah right. The next Saudi Arabia isn't out there in those scrubby, low producing wells. I heart drilling, too. I hope it happens within sight of your house, because it won't bother me any if it happens next to mine.

• Esquire
    July 18, 2010 6:25 a.m.

Ok, let's stop the dithering. The answer should be no. Next you will want the government to increase the subsidies we already give to the oil companies. Enough, already.

• Geezer
    July 18, 2010 8:09 a.m.

What makes the editorial writer think these leases would be drilled, when the oil companies haven't drilled on thousands of acres of federal leases they already own in Utah?

• KM
    July 18, 2010 8:18 a.m.

Now c'mon, Obama has said "under my plan energy prices would necessarily skyrocket." Why all the fuss. Just get ready for an America where everybody hurts equally.

• Leopard
    July 18, 2010 8:37 a.m.

The government of this country seems to be on a suicide mission.

• wayne
    July 18, 2010 9:21 a.m.

its just another case of the bush bashing that got Obama elected. we elected someone who couldn't have been elected if we knew him. we elected him as an anti bush and the greatest public deception of who Obama was. we willingly believed what he said he was which was far from who obama is. little wonder of where the flawed research was.

every barrel of oil we produce is less money that can be used for supporting terrorists.

drill baby drill.

• Furry1993
    July 18, 2010 12:53 p.m.

The best thing to do is deny the leases. There is plenty of property under lease which has not been explored, much less developed. Let the oil companies process the leases they have before adding any more to their inventory.

• attentive
    July 18, 2010 2:24 p.m.

I agree with Furry. Let the leases expire and do more investigating before any more are granted. This is like a game where little kids think that they have to grab all the toys at one time.

• Aggie
    July 18, 2010 2:54 p.m.

I don’t buy the assumptions in this article.

First, I doubt the leases had been “rigorously studied already.” The Bush administration scientists were hamstrung and told to rubber stamp what Bush wanted.

Second, the National Park Service did delay the approval of the leases because they weren’t consulted as they should be. Again, a Bush administration oversight, which this article doesn’t mention, even though it was reported in this newspaper.

I am glad that Secretary Salazar is taking a decent amount of time with the parcels that need a real review.

• Not_Scared
    July 18, 2010 3:19 p.m.

"under my plan energy prices would necessarily skyrocket." Funny I can't find the source.

Fox News trying to play the race card had this lie about Obama letting two "new black panthers" off.

The truth was the justice department dropped those charges on Jan 7, 2008. Obama's inauguration was on the 19th. :-)

I love freedom but I don't have a problem with zoning laws that don't put schools next to chemical plants. I do have a problem with the desecration of America's Nation Parks.

The reality is 70% of our current oil leases aren't being used. The public's land isn't state welfare. I'm a bit sick of this entitlement mentality that Utah has about federal land.

• The Authority
    July 18, 2010 5:12 p.m.

It the same with the BLM travel plans. Sierra Club and Salazar said they were rushed due to Bush. Thing is, they were the result of a decade of work from the bottom up. Bush had nothing to do with them, but now they're in danger of being rescinded because of politics. The Obama administration isn't concerned with study, just pushing the environmentalist agenda.

• The Authority
    July 18, 2010 5:16 p.m.

As for why the current leases are not being used, oil companies still have to complete a NEPA process before they can drill. That's right, an entire second level of environmental and archeological review on top of what the BLM has already done before they can drill. It takes years in some instances, and is done on the dime of the oil companies.

• jeb
    July 18, 2010 7:16 p.m.

The Obama administration just opened up 1.8 MILLION acres in Alaska to oil drilling, and in other western states as well.

No one can complain about President Obama holding back Big Oil.

• other
    July 20, 2010 5:29 p.m.

Yeah, right on.... spill, baby, spill.