Utah Jazz reach agreement with swingman Raja Bell

Former starter 'thrilled to be back' with Utah franchise

Comments

• Kakashi
    July 14, 2010 7:49 p.m.

Wow...Raja Bell...never thought he'd be back...he brings toughness to the 2 spot...and he can shoot the three as well...would want barnes though...but still Raja Bell is good...i just hope he has recovered from his injuries...he hasn't played great last season...

• totenkopf
    July 14, 2010 7:50 p.m.

Good luck bell.

• Jack Ryan
    July 14, 2010 7:51 p.m.

Wow -- did not see this one coming. Although a little older than some of the other guys the Jazz were looking at, Raja is a proven defender & solid addition. Nice pick-up, KOC.

Bet Kobe's not too happy.

• josemb
    July 14, 2010 7:52 p.m.

this is a surprise... i hope raja still plays the way he did when he was with utah before--a wes matthews type player with better field goal percentage. bye bye matthews. i'm happy for wes. he earned a big pay through grit and hardwork. but he should give really big, gracious thanks to utah for allowing to showcase his talents while other teams didn't even give him a glance. he's joining the likes of eisley, anderson, marshall and other players who went into oblivion after leaving utah. i hope wes doesn't end up like them

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 7:53 p.m.

That's awesome, I hope he is healthy and not going down hill too much. I wonder whether he will start or backup CJ. I would prefer AK at 3 and CJ at 2, but we'll have to see how well Raja is playing. Either way this is a good pickup. He's tough defensively and can shoot the 3 pretty good.
    I wonder how many years this is for?

• ERJ
    July 14, 2010 7:57 p.m.

Great move! Veteran defensive stopper who can shoot and even better we beat the Lakers at getting him. Sorry Kobe...

• Markogarp
    July 14, 2010 7:57 p.m.

I like this acquisition very much. A shooter, and a defender. We needed both, and we got one, and he knows our system. Very good signing. Sorry Kobe, this may help us level the playing field a little. Are we done dealing?

• young man
    July 14, 2010 8:00 p.m.

Seriously?! why would we sign a 35 yr old for 3 years. Is this whats left that will come to Utah? a washed up 35 yr old. Yeah he has shot 44% from 3 but at age 35 guarding the younger athletic 2 guards wont be easy for him. But I guess getting maybe 20 min a game splitting time with a rookie a wont be to bad for an old man.

• Kameron
    July 14, 2010 8:00 p.m.

So excited to have Raja back. Jerry Sloan and the fans love this guy. Plays great defense and can shoot the ball. Now excited again!

• scodyshootfight
    July 14, 2010 8:00 p.m.

So what's up with the picture of Stephen Jackson?

I really think that the Jefferson deal was a mistake now because it cost us Matthews. If we need Jefferson, why did we decide to match Millsap? I will really hate to see Matthews go.

• RealityCheck
    July 14, 2010 8:01 p.m.

Cool...I always liked Raja Bell's toughness and leadership. He's relatively old by NBA standards at this point so hopefully he has some more gas in the tank.

I probably would have rather had Wes Matthews back because he has more upside but Raja will be a nice replacement. Also very cool that Raja pretty much just stuck it to Kobe and the Lakers.

• UteFanForever
    July 14, 2010 8:01 p.m.

Although Raja Bell is a good player, i dont think it was the best decision. Bell is what, 35 years old? Matthews is early 20's?...plus Matthews has already proven how good he can be. Yeah its a lot of money to keep him but its worth it. The Jazz get a great defensive player who can also shoot the 3-ball.....he is also very good at getting to the rim. The jazz will probably trade A.K 47 soon anyway so they would have the money to keep Matthews.

• VegasUte
    July 14, 2010 8:02 p.m.

Welcome Raja! Portland paying WAY too much for Mathews.

• TrueFan
    July 14, 2010 8:07 p.m.

If you all remember, he left like a thief in the night to sign with the Suns the last time he was here. I don't think he even waited for the clock to strike midnight.

He was injured all last season, and is well into his thirties.

All that said, I'm glad he's back. I love the guy.
    Kobe loves him too.

• rhinosparky
    July 14, 2010 8:07 p.m.

Welcome back Raja. He will be a nice addition. Bye Mathews.

• shaybo
    July 14, 2010 8:11 p.m.

Great move, Raja is almost identical player to Mathews at a ton less money, sure he's older but still plays hard defense and will keep people honest with the three ball and all we need is a year or two for Hayward to develope. Priority now is to sign KFez and then fill out the roster. Look for some unexpected help from Tadeja Dragicevic who I think will make the team and provide them with a nice inside/outside game.

• Jazzman72
    July 14, 2010 8:18 p.m.

Raja rings the bell! This could be a good move if he stays healthy. He has been a great defender and shooter through his career, and he already knows the Jazz system. Bye, bye Wesley! Keep that bench warm in Portland!

• krobbs
    July 14, 2010 8:19 p.m.

How did the Jazz pull this one off? No where have I read anything about the Jazz being in the running for Bell. Personally, I think this is an excellent move as long as he has recovered well from surgery. He isn't as young as we was when he first was with the Jazz, but to me he is just as good, if not better, than Matthews for a better price.

• LKA
    July 14, 2010 8:21 p.m.

See ya Wes.Have fun rinding the pine and counting your big bucks.. Great to have Bell Back. I hope he cojntinues to ring the bell..

• Bugoff
    July 14, 2010 8:22 p.m.

Okay now I am cheered up and give some praise to the FO. Bell can shoot and defend. He is a hard nosed Kobe irritant.

Greg is to be commended for going deeper into the lux tax. This team is now getting better. Bell has a WP48 twice as large as Mathews. I have not checked his GO rating. The team is moving forward in spite of salary problems.

This is a smart move. It is an unexpected move (at least by me).

AK may get moved at the trade deadline but the FO just may be able to build a team around DWill, AJ, Millsap and Bell. I think Hayward will eventually be as good also.

This is a smart move. It is an unexpected move (at least by me).

• Dolly
    July 14, 2010 8:22 p.m.

Yipppeeeee!!!! While he was here before, my best friend gave me a pair of his autographed shoes for my birthday because I was such a fan of his. I'm going to get out those big suckers, put them on my size seven feet and dance all over the house in them! Yipppeeee!!!

• Rick
    July 14, 2010 8:23 p.m.

I'm elated, shocked, surprised & extremely happy that Utah has brought gritt to this club.Raja Bell is a tuff sun of a gun who backs down from no other player.I've written to KOC & e-mailed him a few times over the years asking to bring Raja back to the team.KOC wrote back to me a few years ago stating on a post card sized letter that Raja likes playing with Steve Nash his friend & it would be hard bringing Raja back..Well Bell is back which is GREAT, but a terrific young man in WES is gone..Wes will turn into a real good all around player who might be back in Utah in a few years (at less money)....Stealing Brown from the Lakers is key, but Barnes is another tuff guy that would round the Jazz out...If Utah signs Brown or Barnes, look for another 50 plus wins season and possibly a trip to the W.C.F.'s....Remember, alot of the teams in the West are also making good moves....Terrific p/u Mr. KOC, Raja will not let the team down--he has a big heart & he's TUFF !

• Utah Valley Guy
    July 14, 2010 8:23 p.m.

Wow - what great news! Raja is arguably a better 3pt shooter (44% lifetime avg) than Korver (41%) and is, without question, a better defender. Just ask Kobe.

Raja is a good example of why you don't burn bridges like that idiot owner in Cleveland. Take note, Jazz fans: be nice even to guys who leave us. They might come back.

So now we have a big guy who can mix it up with Odom and Gasol, and a 3pt shooter who can guard Kobe.

You KOC critics owe him a big apology...

• shaybo
    July 14, 2010 8:24 p.m.

He will step in for Mathews and we won't skip a beat. The day of the draft I wanted KOC fired but Jefferson and Bell equal 2 great moves in a row and not signing Mathews will be 3. I have also changed my thinking on Hayward after watching summer league, he has looked better than almost all drafted ahead of him and is a perfect fit for the jazz with his pass first, take whats given you attitude and all around court sense, plus obtaining Jefferson creates a smaller need for a shot blocker.

• Magna Ute Fan
    July 14, 2010 8:24 p.m.

Interesting. I've loved his game in the past. I wonder if he has anything left. Welcome back Raja!

• toddfromsantaana
    July 14, 2010 8:26 p.m.

Better than Brewer, still another Sloan decision. He tells Kevin what to do more comfort

It is cool I guess, key is health and keep minutes down. Now 34

He averages about 12 ppg consistently. Lifetime 41 percent on 3s so that would be helpful.

Again, better than getting Brewer

Sloan next looking at Tom Chambers

• jazzfan86
    July 14, 2010 8:27 p.m.

KOC vs. Kobe competing to sign this guy and KOC convinces him before he even meets with Kobe? I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised. Although not young and coming off an injury, if he returns to previous years' levels then not a bad pick-up.

• Ferg
    July 14, 2010 8:27 p.m.

Leadership. Toughness. His wrist will be fine. Love it!!

• Winglish
    July 14, 2010 8:28 p.m.

I love it!!! Welcome home, Raja!!!

• Bugoff
    July 14, 2010 8:29 p.m.

The NBA rumor was that Bell was having dinner with Kobe so he could talk him into signing with LA.

Now the Jazz sign him away from Kobe. This is awesome.

• Osgrath
    July 14, 2010 8:31 p.m.

A few details would be appreciated. Like - what was the surgery for and what is the prognosis is for a full recovery? Also, we need the numbers on his contract, as well. How does it compare to Matthews?

• wayne
    July 14, 2010 8:32 p.m.

would have rather had Mat Barns but we know that Raja can defend and shoot well. I hope that this is not a long term deal as Raja is not getting younger. could this be the end of free agent signings for the Jazz? I think so.

the only move left now is to move AK for another outside scorer and a pick since they gave so many to Twolfs. and that may not happen until the trading deadline.

but of course there is the issue of resigning Fes.

the season of change is nearing an end in Utah. hopefully they can stay healthy

Now what to do about AKs expiring contract its the only drama left.

• Idahoan
    July 14, 2010 8:33 p.m.

Well, this would bring back a great defender and some of the toughness we lost with Matt Harpring.

I hate to see Matthews go, but just no way we could match that offer. I just hope we don't regret letting him go.

• Fedor
    July 14, 2010 8:33 p.m.

To the KOC and my Hero Coach Jerry Sloan....I will never doubt you again. Yes I let thing or two get me down about team last two weeks...but you have restore the faith!!! To D-Will.....Stockton never publicly doubt team or management. If you want the statue you need to learn to be patient and know that this team, our UTAH JAZZ will always compete...even with the limit of resource we have!!! I like these piece of puzzle....it is now the great week to be the fan of Utah Jazz. I will never doubt again!!!! Go Jazz!!! Take that young Wesley Matthews!!!! One year does not make the career...thank you to KOC for not matching. Get your Matthews # 6 jerseys at the store for 99 cents!!!! GO JAZZ!!!! IT'S OUR YEAR!!!!

• TAGZZ
    July 14, 2010 8:34 p.m.

Welcome back Raja... I think we got a replacement for Korver now and he can actually play some D... This is a great move by the Jazz, The wrist is kind of scary but I think he will be fine!! Now we have stolen 2 guys from our conference... Al Jefferson from the Mavericks and Raja Bell from the Lakers... They were both sought after but we gott em'

• Hunt
    July 14, 2010 8:35 p.m.

Nice pick up for the Jazz and smart move in not matching the Mathews offer sheet with Portland.

• ColoJazzFan
    July 14, 2010 8:36 p.m.

• Portland Trail Blazers
    July 14, 2010 8:42 p.m.

I think this means that Matthews is coming to PDX. Bell really? he is getting old, injury prone, etc, I dont get it...

• Veracity
    July 14, 2010 8:47 p.m.

Wow...Mathews is good and we will miss him, but I hope that Portlands deal for Paul falls through and Mathews has to stay with Portland...he won't feel bad being a bench player, not for 34 mill, but it should finally hurt Portland's pocket and stops their idioticy.

• LKA
    July 14, 2010 8:47 p.m.

Great news send Wes packin. Jazz were good sports to inform Wes they were not going to match.Maybe next time Portland wont be so venomus..

• AFCoug
    July 14, 2010 8:48 p.m.

Anoher nice pick up up. Although he is a bit older (33) he still has a good 3 years and can likley help the younger players out with his playoff expierence (laying Kobe out). He has always been a 3pt threat as well and should spread the floor and give us a solid defender. Now get Brewer and we will have a solid perimeter defense.

• shaybo
    July 14, 2010 8:49 p.m.

#1 DWill, Ronnie P, Sundiata G

#2 CJ, Raja B

#3 AK47, G Hayward, Tadija D

#4 Al J, Ronnie M

#5 Memo, KFez

Evans and Othius back and forth to D league. (maybe can't do that with Jeffers, i don't know)

At least half of roster can play more than one position, I Like this for a final Roster unless you can get another "lights out shooter" for cheap.

• TheGun
    July 14, 2010 8:50 p.m.

I think this is awesome! I think if we can pick up one more, like Barnes or Amundsen, we will tear it up. I was one of those losing hope, but am excited once again!

• carpediem
    July 14, 2010 8:55 p.m.

• the27guy
    July 14, 2010 8:59 p.m.

After trading for big Al, the Jazz's number 1 priority was to get a shooting guard who could do four things: 1) Shoot. 2) bring a veteran leadership to a young team 3)defend the heck out of the star two guards of the league, and 4) be tough. Raja does all of those. I hope he has recouped from the injury and that he can give us 60-70 games over the next 3 years.

Great signing. Good job Jazz staff. I absolutely approve this fiscally responsible and talent driven signing. Brilliant!

• shaybo
    July 14, 2010 9:01 p.m.

One more thing would light my fire, work out a trade for Ricky Rubio as insurance. If he wouldn't come as a back up you still have his rights in case DWill decides to leave. If he does play you have maybe the best 1-2 punch ever at point guard even playing them both at times as Price/DWill do.

• bballjunkie
    July 14, 2010 9:02 p.m.

This was a soild pick up by the Jazz!

• John C. King
    July 14, 2010 9:03 p.m.

I might be alone in this, but a favorite Jazz memory is that plucky team that nearly made the playoffs (after pundits picked them as the worst team in the league) in the 2003-2004 season. Raja was the heart of that team. It would be great to watch him again this year.

• Idahoan
    July 14, 2010 9:05 p.m.

Only two FA moves left!!!

Resign Fez - 2 year deal. Until Okur is healthy, gotta have a backup to Jefferson.

Sign Brewer - 2 year deal. Not the outside threat that Bell is, but a great slasher for a good combo fit with Bell.

That last 2 roster spots will goto Gaines & Evans/Jeffers.

• Donald
    July 14, 2010 9:16 p.m.

We are set. Portland is stuck. Sorry Wes, you will play very little minute in Portland.

Go Jazz

• mulrich
    July 14, 2010 9:17 p.m.

He didn't play well last year because he had a wrist injury all season and only played 6 games. That means he'll be well rested and ready to play and prove himself.

• Kakashi
    July 14, 2010 9:17 p.m.

i wonder...if the jazz didn't made the Al Jefferson trade...and tried a different approach...probably swing for Igoudala....same offer But For Igoudala + Spencer Hawes?...would that be better? still an awesome acquisition...i just hope for the best for Utah....

• Winglish
    July 14, 2010 9:23 p.m.

Any man who takes a swing at Kobe is welcome on my team. Glad to have you home, Raja!

• bloggy
    July 14, 2010 9:25 p.m.

Savvy move by the Jazz. I love Wes Matthews as much as the next guy but not at that price. Looks like the Jazz learned the lessons of overpaying AK. Now they get a well-known tough-nosed competitor without tying their hands for five years. I like it.

• stlouis jazzfan
    July 14, 2010 9:30 p.m.

Last Week I thought KOC needed to go, but he is finally starting to make some good moves. You have got to love having Bell back. Nobody hates Kobe more than Raja, and Me

• Jopnilk
    July 14, 2010 9:30 p.m.

Now that we got a legitimate defender in Bell, let's do a sign-and-trade with Matthews for Rudy Fernandez. He would be a great back up for Bell, and now that Portland is already stacked at the 2 with Matthews, they need to unload.

• UTAH MAN AM I
    July 14, 2010 9:32 p.m.

Absolutely love this pickup. Man, the last two days hae been great for Jazz fans! First Jefferson and now Bell! Finally we're getting some toughness! I will be sad to see Matthews go, as he is a stud and the type of player I like to watch, but best of luck to him and hopefully he won't kill us in the future. I'm very much looking forward to the season now!!!

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 9:35 p.m.

Buggoff: I'm glad to see you happy again, now if we can get Todd to smile and be happy.
    I'm glad about Raja but I hope he hasn't gone down hill too much. He should be a very solid addition though and his toughness and experience should help CJ and Hayward.

• scalman
    July 14, 2010 9:36 p.m.

Good news about Raja coming here. He's at the stage of his career where he will be o.k. with being behind other Jazz guards. Actually, he often didn't play major minutes when he was here before if I remember right. He was always ready to guard a scorer, though, and this brings up Kobe Bryant's push to get Bell to the Lakers the last few weeks. Sorry, Kobe, and Oh! that feels good.
    About Raja's wrist, it is his non-shooting wrist, which means he should be able to stay pretty sharp as a shooter. He plays tough D though, he's going to need two healthy wrists to play his type of ball.
    As for Al Jefferson, I don't know his game well, but he likes to play PF, not so much C, so I say good because I still believe Fesenko is going to become the Jazz main center this year.

• WalterBellhaven
    July 14, 2010 9:38 p.m.

What I want to know is if the Jazz are going to still use the Harpring trade exception??

• toddfromsantaana
    July 14, 2010 9:38 p.m.

I echo, it is funny all speculation on Barnes, Brown and Brewer.

It is yet more familiarity with "Jer" but at least it was 5 years ago he left. He still can average 12ppg and as lifetime 41 percent 3 point shooter.

He is not 35 but turning 34,he can give you couple years. His health is the key, but expect his minutes monitored aka SPurs saving Robert Horry for playoffs etc. Bell likely backs up Miles

The thing that is key in all of this is: Whether Sloan called all the shots, O Connor enforcing the requet, the Jazz did make an effort.

I thank them for making a decent effort

Subtract Korver/Boozer
    Add Jefferson/Bell

It not only increased toughness but capably could knock down our points per game allowed, 3-4 ppg.

So when Okur comes back it will be like acquiring a new player at the trading deadline.

Now there is some hope for the Jazz, whether Sloan called all of this and O Connor just execue

• octavian
    July 14, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Good move. But i really hate to see Matthews go. Too much money, wish Matthews nothing but the best

• Northwest Reader
    July 14, 2010 9:44 p.m.

It seemed to me that Raja couldn't wait to leave the Jazz. Hmmm? Maybe he has had a change of heart?

• Observation-ist
    July 14, 2010 9:46 p.m.

My memory of Raja is a tough defender who can shoot the outside J. I'm quite excited. As has been said before, it's conditional upon his health. If he stays healthy, I'm fired up man.

All that being said, I wish these reporters would query Deron. It's his thoughts that really count.

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 9:46 p.m.

I'm wondering what the terms of the contract are. Anyone heard?

• JazzyMan
    July 14, 2010 9:51 p.m.

Hey guys,I'm not saying goodbye to Wes just yet.The party aint over till the fat lady sings. Yes,I know the chance of Wes coming back to the Jazz now is slim ,but I WON'T GIVE UP ON IT TILL IT'S DONE.I really like Raja's game though and am so glad to have him back.Raja,like Wes, puts his whole heart into the game and plays with abandon,and I'm just betting that he will love playing alongside Deron.And maybe that has alot to do with why he signed with the Jazz and stuck a fork into the Lakers which is fine by me. And lets not forget that experience counts for alot in this league and Raja has played with or against all the NBA players. He knows the little things about many players that perhaps Wesley doesn't .Bell is 33 according to what I heard on KFAN yesterday.And 33 isn't exactly washed up. 33 today is like 30 was no more than 15 years ago with the new meds and physical conditioning science now available if a guy wants to take care of himself.

• JazzFanSD
    July 14, 2010 9:52 p.m.

Refreshing to see positive remarks.

This one also caught me off guard but I guess it does illustrate how little we all know what is really going on in the Jazz front office. Even if Bell has lost a step (and he most certainly has) he is the type of player who can make up for that. Harpring did, Fisher still does for the Lakers, these guys find ways to make plays even though they aren't at their athletic peak.

It does appear the Jazz had a plan, put together a team that has a better chance against the Lakers. AJ made us bigger in the post, and Raja clotheslined Kobe once upon a time so he certainly is not intimidated. Even though Wes is younger I do like what Bell brings and especially at 3 years and 10million. Interesting its a 3 year deal, same amount left on AJ's deal. I guess if they don't work out, Jazz will have cap space again, although personally I think these are really good moves.

Great being a Jazz fan here these last few days.

• VegasJazzFan
    July 14, 2010 9:53 p.m.

Lost the streaky tube socks, lost some Downy softness, gained some legitimate height that can score and some hard-nosed toughness that can hinder Kobe. Unfortunately we'll have to watch the new Shandon Anderson play for a different team. KOC, Miller, and Sloan know how to put a team together. They do it each year. Can't wait for the season to start!

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 9:55 p.m.

Answer to my own question: ESPN states Bell signed for 3 yrs and close to 10 mil.
    Not too bad if he can still play close to the level he once did.
    Less than half of Mathews contract.
    Now we need to go get Fes signed , sealed and delivered.

• Captain L
    July 14, 2010 10:07 p.m.

Iv'e tried to tell everyone to not get down and discouraged and to stay positive and hopefull, well see it works.
    Now we have to see if they can play as good as we hope they can.
    I think as young as this team is several if not most of the players should be able to improve.
    Milsap, CJ, Hayward, Fes, Gaines, Evans, and even DWill and AJ should all improve, meaning the Jazz as a team should improve.
    Next year we can add Tomic and continue towards a title.

• pdhitman
    July 14, 2010 10:08 p.m.

at least we beat kobe this time, lol.

Good move from KOC. Hope we could pick Amundsen and hope we could keep our players healthy for the whole season.

• LakerFan
    July 14, 2010 10:08 p.m.

I guess it was more about the money than winning a ring.

• SoCal28
    July 14, 2010 10:09 p.m.

LA is reporting the Jazz offered more than the Lakers could pay him (3 yrs/10mil.) Good pick up for the Jazz.

He went for the money rather than a chance for a ring.

• jyadm629
    July 14, 2010 10:15 p.m.

He is only 33, i mean how is he old? Kobe is 31 whats the big deal? He is a great defender. Maybe he can throw another clothesline at kobe! He is a great pickup! We need a stoper for kobe bryant and he is the answer, he can strech the defense and allow jefferson to get chances and he can stand on the 3 line and hit shots all day: source (see all our games against pheonix) and @shaybo who is ronnie m and?
    paul millsap can back up aj, this will make us a bigger team. I think for the price they are paying raja he will be coming off the bench. So starting would be D will, CJ, AK, AJ, and Memo. Then coming off the bench Ronnie, Raja, Hayward, Paul, Fes. That is a killer bench. Just when i thought everything was down it is looking waaaayyy up. This is a better team than last year if we can stay healthy. And to all those who want mathews more, he was good while he was here, but a vet for 4 mil less a year.

• I Will Be Till I Die
    July 14, 2010 10:17 p.m.

I didn't realize RB was hurt recently, but even if he doesn't play very much, his veteran leadership can be a valuable commodity in the locker room.

• Bugoff
    July 14, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Bell is actually a replacement for Korver. He will shoot 3 to unpack the paint (desperately needed with AJ) and he will close.

He is 34 the deal is 10 Mill for 3 years. The Jazz do not need him to log big minutes like Mathews. CJ or Hayward will do that. Maybe the Jazz will pick up one more player?

They are likely to make a move (s) at the trade deadline to adjust Lux tax or improve the team depending on how the team is playing.

It does look like the Jazz are serious about trying to contend.

That was my big fear. That AJ had cost so much there would not be money to get enough of the right role players. The Millers ARE moving forward. They are not done yet.

• AFCoug
    July 14, 2010 10:23 p.m.

This potentially makes us the 2nd best team in the west. The Lakers and Dallas could be ahead of us.
    Jefferson adds size and Raja adds perimeter D. Okur draws oppossing bigs out of the paint allowing Jefferson room to score against a slower Gasol or Bynum. With Okur and Bell on the perimeter Lakers cannot match our 3pt shooting threat and guard the paint. On D we are certainly better as Jefferson has more potential and blocks more shots. A healthy AK also gives Kobe problems with his lenght. Between AK and Bell Kobe is upset an entire series pouting about how he is continually fouled.

Phoenix - will not be as good without Amare
    SA - on thier way down
    Portland - young talent has yet to get it all together
    Nuggets - could be trading Carmelo if he does sign the extension as Nuggets do not want to get Lebron'd like Cleveland did.
    Thunder - on way up could be dangerous
    Dallas - has not added a key player yet and is financially strapped

• Rick
    July 14, 2010 10:23 p.m.

Raja played only 6 games last year so he is well rested.Raja is the type of player who preparred for this day by exercising while out healing the hand.He is well muscle tonned, something the russian knows nothing about(weights).ak will be traded (soon) for many reasons but especially for his lack of interest in the team while he was out with that "major" injury ! Jazz management does not condone players like him & if he's not dealt, Raja will get in his face during a practice if ak is dogging it...
    Raja was brought here for one reason & one reason only,to get in kobe's face...Whle playing for the Suns, I believe Phoenix beat the lakers everytime they faced each other in the playoffs.Utah doesn't need much offense from him because Utah has enough scorers.Raja's defense on the other teams top 2 guards is critical.Raja probally got a 3 year deal to beat out la's 2 yr. deal..
    Final piece to the winning puzzel is signing Barnes or Brown from rival lakers.Trade ak ASAP to sign another winner with spirit, not like ak.

• Sptfyre51
    July 14, 2010 10:41 p.m.

Bell is 33 NOT 35! Granted that still isn't very young but it is not at all uncommon for players to play solid well into their 30's. Steve Nash was 35 last season and look at the year he put up

and to Kakashi... Bell didn't play well last season? he only played in 6 games he
    didn't even have a season!

Bell brings the 2 things the jazz needed most in a wing. Defense/Toughness and shooting range. Great pickup by the Jazz. Intensity is contagious and Bell brings it. The jazz still aren't as good as the Lakers but the 2 pickups this offseason should make the Jazz at least more competitive against them with Jefferson's length and Bell's intensity and leadership

• msbball2002
    July 14, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Matthews signed an offer sheet with the Blazers and since the Jazz had made an initial qulifying offer their only option is to match or not match Portland's offer sheet. They can not out-bid or work a sign and trade with him.

He was a restricted free agent which is different from a unrestricted free agent. Boozer was unrestricted so the Jazz were able to work the sign and trade with him when they knew he was leving. They did not own his rights.

Bell brings to the jazz what they were lacking:
    1. A deffensive 2
    2. An outside threat to spread the court
    3. Veteran leadership

Great pick up especially for the price.

• JazzyMan
    July 14, 2010 10:49 p.m.

Nice to have Raja back,and thanks for the info on which wrist it was that Raja injured,scalman.Glad it wasn't his shooting wrist.But ,hey,I beleive a tough guy like Raja can rebound from almost any injury.All you have to do is hammer a nail into Raja and he's ready to go again. Great to have you back,Raja. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

• Large Tuna
    July 14, 2010 10:51 p.m.

"KOC, just when I think you couldnt possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this. . . . .

and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!!"

• louisiana jazz man
    July 14, 2010 10:53 p.m.

i was happy untill i started reading these blogs i dident relize he was that old. i think the surprize this year will be evens. he looks like a future highlight reel to me.

• Bugoff
    July 14, 2010 11:02 p.m.

CAP L my biggest concern was the price of Jefferson. I was pretty sure it was going to strangle any hope of getting outside shooting/defense.

Bell actually replaces Korver. He does not have to log a lot of minutes. He just has to unpack the paint and close. He knows the system and plugs in. The Koufos salary dump paid for him (mostly).

The Jazz are into the Lux tax about 5+ mill right now. The tax level is expected to drop to 65 mill next year. There will be tons of fire sales at the deadline if that happens.

If the Jazz are contending they will probably sit tight at the deadline. If not they will unload (or try) salary. AK, CJ, or Price are the most likely trades.

I would really like to see the Jazz add Barnes, Udoka or Amundsen for insurance. But that is asking a lot.

If Millsap or AJ get hurt who backs them up? Fes can't play PF. AK could but he is injury prone and that leaves a hole at SF.

AJs game is inside. The Jazz have to have outside shooting to adjust for his game.

• Large Tuna
    July 14, 2010 11:11 p.m.

I think one of the big reasons they went after Bell is to have a good tough veteran on the team that can help DWill, he still has some maturing to do. Maybe Bell can teach him to quit being such a diva and just play ball.

As much as I don't like Fisher, having a tough veteran like him on the team to keep DWill calm and focused is the key to having a good team. So adding bell comes with much more intangibles than people notice, I think. I doubt he'll start, but I guarantee you he won't miss a 4th quarter this season.

And the fact that he bs'd kobe about joining the lakers and threw it back in his face to sign with us... man... there are no words to describe how awesome that is. An angel got its wings tonight somewhere out there with that move.

• Civil
    July 14, 2010 11:12 p.m.

Harpring's toughness with an outside shot, and can defend the perimeter.

• SportzFan
    July 14, 2010 11:14 p.m.

Utah Valley Guy | 8:23 p.m. July 14, 2010

You KOC critics owe him a big apology...

---------------

Brilliant!!

• MrJazz
    July 14, 2010 11:15 p.m.

What a great signing!

I echo the comments of everyone else in that I will miss Matthews, but it is the right business move.

Bell brings everything that the Jazz need in a shooter and defender, and possibly most importantly, some

experienced leadership.

With as young as the Jazz are, they were in need of some really experienced leadership. D-Will is the leader on the floor, but Bell will be invaluable with his fire and competiveness.

• T-spoon
    July 14, 2010 11:17 p.m.

To Bugoff, Todd, and any others who were speaking negatively three days ago...

I told you to hold-off on the disliking KOC until we see what happens now didn't I? ;)

The FO did good. Sure, Jefferson and Bell aren't perfect, but the FO did good so far this summer.

I'll miss Matthews, but he wasn't worth 7 million a year...not yet. I'd say 3 million a year for 2 or 3 years and then we could see if he is worth more (I think he will be). Way to stick it to Portland! I don't care how deep the owner's pockets are, this limits their ability to make trades by getting them over the cap.

• Bugoff
    July 14, 2010 11:17 p.m.

The Jazz are better but the West is still very strong and many teams are very good.

LA added Blake
    DAL added Chandler, Mahimni and Ajinca. They resigned Hawood.
    DEN has offered Harrington and is working on Amundson.
    POR added Mathews. If they are healthy are formidable.
    PHO will do much better than most think.
    SA added Splitter. They are still reworking their front court. Don't count on them dorking it up.
    OKC is a year older and better.
    HOU is very good until Ming goes down again.
    SAC is better. MEM?

8 of the top 12 NBA teams are in the West.

• japete
    July 14, 2010 11:19 p.m.

Sticking it to Kobe...I LOVE it!!

• Snagger
    July 14, 2010 11:28 p.m.

It's funny. Everyone on here seems to be going off what they saw raja do the first time he was here, or the closeline on kobe. Truth is we don't know if he is even close to the player he used to be. I hope he is otherwise we'll all be mad at KOC for not getting Wesley back. It will be sad to see wesley go. He was everything the Jazz need in a 2G. I thought he more then proved he belonged on this team and in this league after how he played offensively, but more important Defensively everynight and especially in the playoffs. He was easily most of our favorite player to watch because of his grit and hard work and all out attitude. I personally think they should have brought Wesley back and then shipped the strained calf (AK) out of here. AK is the reason the jazz have been so hamstrung in making moves. $17 for a guy who plays sometimes and gets hurt all the time. $6 mil a yr for wes is better then $17 for a AK but that is another story. We'll miss ya Wes!!

• AltaHawkFan
    July 14, 2010 11:29 p.m.

I would love to see the Jazz match Matthew's contract and move AK instead. Matthews is worth the $6 mil/yr moreso than AK is worth $18 mil/yr.

• Uteology
    July 14, 2010 11:35 p.m.

I thought ESPN was reporting Kobe was in the process of trying to get him to come to LA?

I guess the "Kobe Chopper" had other ideas.

• UteMan
    July 14, 2010 11:48 p.m.

How many people would have made this deal at the beginning of the season last year?

Korver, Boozer, Koufos, Matthews who was undrafted and a couple of draft picks for Jefferson, Bell, Hayward at the #9 pick and possibly Brewer?

It would cost you around 29 mil to keep the roster from last year based on the new salary offers and the current Koufos contract.

The contracts of Hayward, Jefferson and Bell will total around 19 mil. Add Brewer to the equation for about 2.5 mil and you have a better roster for about 7-9 million less. I am going to say this has been a great off season.

• Snagger
    July 15, 2010 12:03 a.m.

I read an interesting interview with Wes right after hearing about the jazz signing Bell. Sounds like the Jazz could have made him an offer close the the MLE and he would have taken it. But they never offered him anything. Sad to see him leave because KOC sat on his hands and waited for someone to drive up the price. Wes kept saying the jazz never offered me anything.

• Kakashi
    July 15, 2010 12:04 a.m.

Hope the Jazz gets Anthony Tolliver or Louis Amundson...i think they need one more Big Guy other than Fesenko...

• Great addition
    July 15, 2010 12:05 a.m.

This is a great addition. It was imperative that we signed someone to match Wes' intensity on D as well as someone who can shoot the 3. Raja fills the voids left by both Korver and Wes. If we can somehow sign Brewer, I think that would complete our team and we would have a serious chance to contend in the West with a roster that could go 9-10 deep looking like this:

5- Jefferson (starter), Okur (backup)
    4- MIllsap (starter), Kirilenko (backup)
    3- Miles (starter), Hayward (backup)
    2- Bell (starter), Brewer (backup)
    1- Williams (starter), Gaines (backup)

That gives us a solid starting 5 with a better bench than we have seen in years. 3 previous starters coming off the bench in Brewer, Kirilenko and Okur. Jefferson CAN play the 5 and he will be much more effective teaming with MIllsap than Booz was because of his size.

• TiCon2
    July 15, 2010 12:17 a.m.

KOC doing it in stealth mode again! Here's hoping for a great season! Even with Raja only playing "mentor" to Gordon, it was well worth the money. Greg has filled in perfectly, in his own way, for Larry. The Elder would be proud.

• Captain L
    July 15, 2010 12:18 a.m.

I'm pretty confident that Hayward will progress steadily and become a very good player.
    Fes is one player that needs to step it up this year and show he deserves to stay in the nba, he has alot of potential but he needs to show he can use it and be productive.
    Evans will be interesting to watch, I hope the Jazz keep him and work with him. He is one of those players with alot of potential, he is what we want athletically, 6'9" with a 7'6" wingspan, good motor, good hops, all he needs is to gain weight and develop an outside shot.

• blauch
    July 15, 2010 12:25 a.m.

Love this move. What is not to love.

Last year the Sacramento Kings had a summer league players Wes Matthews on their Roster.

This year they have a player named Sylven Landesberg from Virgina, now that is a player the Jazz need to look at bringing him to training camp.

Williams, Price, Gaines
    Bell, Hayward,
    AK, Miles,
    Millsap, Evans
    Jefferson, Okur, Fes

• jcrotty25
    July 15, 2010 12:42 a.m.

Seriously ????? you ppl are happy with this signing ? i hope you all know that if you would have just offered mathews a fair 4 million per year he would have signed on the spot ... why did koc let him go get another bidder... is he really that incompitant .... go ahead and tell yourselves that bell is just as good suuuuuuuuuuuure lol lol when you could have had mathews for the same price lol .. mathews even admits he would have just signed with the jazz for about half the mle but that the jazz wanted him to bring back a sheet... i guess koc cant figure out how much to pay ppl so he wanted to let other teams make offers ... i really want to personally ask koc why he didnt just make a fair offer ??? this is crazy... bell is 34 with no upside ... mathews is 22 and lots of room for improvment r u kidding me ...we will never win a title with koc and this is a prime reason why.. he doesnt know what he's doing ... anyone can get al jefferson we all know he is good .. its the other moves that matter..

• True Blue
    July 15, 2010 12:45 a.m.

I just wish I could have seen the look on the faces of the Blazer management when they realized they were actually going to have to pay $9 million to a guy who will play no more than 15 minutes a game.

• netmaster
    July 15, 2010 1:20 a.m.

I'm sad to see Wes leave. He is the quintessential Sloan player, which will benefit him for years to come. He hustles, plays tough D, never gives up, isn't afraid to take the big shot, runs the floor well, and is a team first guy. But O'Connor knows what he is doing, and he knew the Jazz would need some flexibility to replace Boozer and possibly get a veteran shooting guard here. Bell is another guy I hated to see leave Utah when he did. But I think that he or Derek Fisher are the type of guy we need right now at that position. We might get Matthews back some day, but resigning him would have pushed us into such a high salary range that it was unrealistic for Utah to pay it without looking at the options. I like next year's team. It might be too early to predict, but if the injury bug doesn't hit, I predict that the Jazz will have an excellent season, easily make the playoffs and probably do some damage.

• SinceNow
    July 15, 2010 2:14 a.m.

@Snagger

I don't know if that's true. I heard that KOC made him a decent offer (5 yrs, 20 mil?); Wes felt he could do better, KOC told him to go test the market, and here we are. (To anyone) Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I love this pickup. I really hope we add one more guard from the FA. I'd be happy with either Barnes or Brewer. Booze and Korver are campaigning for Brewer over in Chicago though (trying to make Jazz 2.0). I haven't heard of any other players left in the FA that the Jazz have contacted. Not that it means much, because I don't think any of us saw this coming to fruition.

• Terry
    July 15, 2010 2:38 a.m.

Raja has a winning attitude and was without a doubt the best Shooter AND Defender in the free agent market. Jazz are going for winning Right NOW! While I love Matthews upside, he was way overpaid by Portland, so I am glad we are sticking it to them and we are getting Veteran leadership to help temper a younger team at a bargain in comparison. AJ looks to have a breakout year, sure looking like a better team than last year with a 2-3 seed well within reason!

Imagine AJ, AK and Millsap as a front line that can ALL Defend/Block shots, score and rebound as well as anyone! Dwill, Raja and Okur will open it up for them even more with the 3 ball!

• toddfromsantaana
    July 15, 2010 4:17 a.m.

most people on here praising Kevin have not even posted much or little here previously. I am here to take shots I never run. It is easy in retrospect but most here did not see this coming.

It does feel better to be positive. Reasons were needed. We have reasons now. Matthews is not close to worth that money, Bell a way better value for the buck.

For once it will be a pleasure trusting someone to play defense, little since Harpring. Someone, not named Korver who would fly like a chicken in empty air at the playground challenging or lack of the #3"

Was funny stuff.

But now, I can trust someone how to play the system

What a nice change, now the Old Jazz of the 90s philosophy is coming back,

It is good to be proud again truly

If they sign Okafor now lets throw a party or even the Shaqmeister

• toddfromsantaana
    July 15, 2010 4:21 a.m.

I would not worry about Jefferson not hustling or working, he will have the coaches in his face if that happened. Dwil now has Bell to do some of the duties Fisher had and give him help in the verbal leadership role.

Raja has played under O Connor in Philly and almost won a title losing to the Fakers with AI

Bell provides experience, knowledge and another coach on the floor which now should help DWIL play more relaxed and efficient.

I agree a great great pickup

• shaybo
    July 15, 2010 5:33 a.m.

This is the most i've ever seen people in agreement on, it must be a great move.

• plyxply
    July 15, 2010 7:53 a.m.

the Jazz will be strong underneath when Tomic comes over, he's much better than AK ever was and is long and will compete against the Lakers bigs. Okur's days are numbered, in three years it will be Jefferson, Tomic, DWill, Hayward, and Jimmer Ferdette starting for the Jazz.

Raja Bell will fill Matt Harpring's role the last two years he was here, go in and play hard physical ball and get someone off their game. Good move by the Jazz, Bell's due for a healthy season.

• Striker
    July 15, 2010 7:54 a.m.

Making a winning shot over Kobe for 3 will ya!?!?
    In your face arrogant Kobe!

• cougpower
    July 15, 2010 8:00 a.m.

Am soooo looking forward to seeing FES' game finally come round, now that he'll have some quality competition in team practices against the likes of AJ's presence. He'll learn new moves (offensively) and learn how and to which spots to more quickly move--defensively! He'll only get better and that means, better for the team as a whole. Already, Fes alters the way teams play by his presence, just by how he fills up an immensity of space underneath! (I get a huge kick watching facial expressions on opposing players' faces--when he enters a game!) Bye-bye uncontested lay-ups, and "hello" to--now, with a frontline that includes Millsap, AK and AJ, plus the added 'fire', more mental toughness, and team-intensity on the 'D' (rubbing off from Ra-Bell), should enhance the teams' overall motivation to bring back or ratchet-up the old benchmark Jerry SLoan-style defense for which we were once dreaded! Great acquisitions!! Lessens the pain of Wes' departure!!

• weaksauce
    July 15, 2010 8:29 a.m.

it's nice to see portland try and mess with us again and get shafted. 9 mil upfront for matthews!?! i'd ask what they are smoking, but it is portland.
    i think raja is a great p/u. it will offer some great veteran guidance for players like hayward to learn from, gives us a bona fide all-nba defensive player, and a great perimeter shooter. just stay healthy gramps!

• LKA
    July 15, 2010 8:43 a.m.

On contracts there will always be a lot of he said or she said. (In this cas both he's). But a guy like Haslem just wanted to stay in Miami and took far less money to do so.Matthews should have been offered a two year contract to further prove himself. He will now make more money next year than any drafted players in his class. We will see what will unfold in the next few years. Jazz system made Matthews the player.Same with Shandon Anderson but what did he do once he left the Jazz??

• Shawnm750
    July 15, 2010 8:57 a.m.

I think Bell will be a good addition. He's already familiar with our program, and he's actually excited to play here!

• Winglish
    July 15, 2010 9:01 a.m.

Re: Todd (AJ's hustle?)

Al Jefferson works hard on defense. The problem is that he's the big, lumbering type. He moves like Memo. Jefferson is not a poor defender because he doesn't try. He just lacks the quickness to stay with anyone who can put the ball on the floor or who has a quick spin move.

• Ravenal
    July 15, 2010 9:20 a.m.

re: jcrotty25

You might want to check you story first. Matthews wanted the FULL mid-level exception which is still waaay to much for him. Portland over bid and will not over pay.

• klepsydra
    July 15, 2010 9:33 a.m.

Jimmer Freaking Fredette will be lucky to get significant playing time in the NBA let alone start on a quality team like the Jazz. The kid can't play defense at all, he is like molasses when defending most other guards.

• T-spoon
    July 15, 2010 9:41 a.m.

I agree with Ravenal, jcrotty25 has the story way wrong.

Matthews was asking too much. He has some upside, sure, but he would need to prove it the next 2-3 years before he would deserve 7 million a year. Portland is crippling their ability to sign/trade players whereas the Jazz are trying to preserve their ability to do so. Once Kirilenko is off the books, we won't even be over the cap anymore. Portland, not so much.

• JK
    July 15, 2010 10:16 a.m.

if gaines is Dwill's backup forget it...the guy is a point guard and can't even hit his free throws...pretty weak

• blauch
    July 15, 2010 10:16 a.m.

Here is what really happened. The Jazz meet with Matthews Agent who said he wanted the full mid level exception. The Jazz said no - go and see if another team will be willing to pay that much, and we might match that.

His Agent said OK - Found Portland who front loaded the contract making it Toxic and the Jazz found Bell. I am sure the agent told Matthews that the Jazz would accept the offer - Just like what they did with Millsap.

Trust me - I would rather have Matthews at 4 million than Bell at 3 million, but they gambled that no one was going to offer Matthews 4 million and they believe they could get him for less

This is the same thing that happened with CJ - and the Jazz got CJ for less than what CJ's agent was asking for.

Now Portland will be paying Matthew 9 million for a back up shooting guard.

• panamadesnews
    July 15, 2010 10:19 a.m.

To: Osgarthy

Read the article again. It includes the information you desire.

• Henry Drummond
    July 15, 2010 11:06 a.m.

The Miller family has certainly come through during this free agency period. Its nice to have players who actually want to be here rather than ones who act like they are doing you a big favor to play here. I think we have championship caliber coaching and championship caliber leadership from players like D-Will. Expectations are going to be sky high. Get to ready to come out swinging guys.

• WHAT NOW?
    July 15, 2010 11:42 a.m.

Anything that would PO kobe is ok with me.

Bell is in kobe's head and it's only July!

• UteMan
    July 15, 2010 11:45 a.m.

The day Jimmer is in a Jazz uniform becomes the day I take my talents to Miami and become a Heat fan.

Let's not bring pure insanity into a Jazz conversation about a great off season.

• Anonymous Infinity
    July 15, 2010 11:46 a.m.

Welcome back another gunslinger Raja Bell. It appears on paper the gunfighter Al Jefferson is about a wash, except he will probably be more likely to play dinged up than our beloved Carlos Boozer, who obviously we wish well except when Chicago plays the Jazz. Matthews has a lot of upside, so Portland gets a gritty player but the numbers don't work out for a cash strapped Jazz franchise. Paul Allen's deep pockets "Tail Chasers
    er Trail Blazers (excuse me) don't give a hoot about salary cap issues. It behooves the Big Guy, Fasenko to get with the program and in with some better "feet" movement and quit fouling. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM THAT THE JAZZ CAN'T GET FES INTO A FITNESS PROGRAM, FOR PETE'S SAKE.

• Uncle Rico
    July 15, 2010 12:00 p.m.

blaunch: great analogy.

• stanfunky
    July 15, 2010 12:04 p.m.

Depth Chart for 2010-11:

PF - Jefferson, Millsap, Jeffers
    SF - Kirilenko, Miles, Heyward
    C - Okur, Fesenko
    PG - Williams, Price, Gaines
    SG - Bell, Miles

Millsap, Jefferson, AK, and even Bell can play multiple positions, which really helps us to be flexible against different lineups. Okur and Jefferson should compliment each other well, since Okur likes to play mid-range and Jefferson likes to play down low. Feeling good about this group, might be nice to have another point guard, or a combo guard that's 6'4" mainly for defensive purposes.

• TheBoss
    July 15, 2010 12:24 p.m.

You guys are here all the time. Tell me what is Matthews talking about or his agent that the Jazz never made an offer. If they didn't it turned out better for him at $35 million to sit on the bench.

• Dave from Taylorsville
    July 15, 2010 12:57 p.m.

Hey all the doofusess posting here. . .

If someone hasn't said it yet, let me. . . THE GUY IS 33 YEARS OLD!!! Not 34 or even 35 as some have said.

Bell has a lot of gas still left in him and Portland WAY over inflated the money for Wes Mathews. Wes was good, but not THAT good.

Good move Jazz and KOC. All the posters that thought the Jazz weren't doing anything. . . eggs on your face now dimwits. It's simply this. . . you have NO idea what movement and deals the front office is making. This Jefferson/Bell move is GREAT. So shut your yaps!!!

• toddfromsantaana
    July 15, 2010 1:26 p.m.

Winglish: I never said AJ does not hustle, some questioned his committment to defense. I actually defended him there. You are right it is a quickness issue. I feel if anything Okur gets lazy and I do not think it is always a "quickness with him but effort issue"

When Okur came on last year he had a stretch of improved defense with even shot blocking skils.
    Okur has the talent to be a consistent, respectable defender.

• TheBoss
    July 15, 2010 2:25 p.m.

• Kingal
    July 15, 2010 2:28 p.m.

It is nice to see that Bell is back. I guess we won't resign Matthews.

• es4
    July 15, 2010 2:53 p.m.

WOW...I am just glad that, following this years draft, KOC read all the negative comments posted here! Congratulations to all u people that posted such negative comments about KOC. U changed him! WOW! Amazing that you can change his way of doing business overnight! Some of you would make GREAT GM's!

• es4
    July 15, 2010 3:11 p.m.

ToddSA...Money was probably the deciding factor with RB, but he did say that he likes playing for JS. Sounds like Raja is a "Sloanaholic". How can u support that!!!

• Just Truth
    July 15, 2010 4:27 p.m.

Wow, count me excited to watch the Jazz. Booz was too soft. I think we topped out with him. Millsap & Jeffers are more bang for your buck. Sorry Chicaguh! For that matter, Korver was nice, but who needs nice on the defensive end. We've missed you Raja! Welcome home!

Sloan will get down to business with this group and D-Will will run them right back to the playoffs once the new parts start coming together mid-season.

• TRUTH
    July 15, 2010 6:10 p.m.

There is only one other Guy I would be more happy about seeing in jazz uniform more than Bell....that is a 25 yr old John Stockton...

Welcome back Raja....you bring respect to the jazz and it will be our honor to watch you play Sloan Basketball!

GB Wes......best of luck with the Jailblazers!!

• Viva Los Jazz
    July 15, 2010 8:33 p.m.

I love the fact that we're getting Raja Bell for less than half of Matthews salary. He's a great 3 point shooter and is exactly what we need to contend. Now let's get Fesenko depending on what money is left over.

1 DWill! Ronnie Price Gaines
    2 CJ Jeffers
    3 Kirlenko Hayward
    4 Milsap
    5 Jefferson! Okur Fesenko?

There aren't too many more holes to fill

• raj
    July 15, 2010 9:27 p.m.

Bell will be a great player to have on the team and can bring leadership.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 15, 2010 10:17 p.m.

es4, Houdini, Nunn others are Sloan supporters, if one has a take I will listen. You know I am generalizing but there are always exceptions and good and bad in everyone

Were you not taught that growing up?

• MenaceToSociety
    July 15, 2010 11:15 p.m.

Nobody will sign with the Jazz! Nobody wants to play in Utah! Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Wait a second... this is the second time Raja has signed with Utah. Hmmmmm.

• Yippidy Skippidy
    July 16, 2010 10:19 a.m.

I'm a PHX Suns fan and I really thought Raja Bell was much too streaky to ever be successful, and even in PHX's run and gun offense, he never quite caught on. So now that he is with another team that plays fast, hard and needs 3-point shooters (Bell is as good @ 3-point shooting as Korver), I think his streakiness will continue.

He'll do well for the Jazz off of the bench and brings a defensive mindset that makes Korver look like a choir girl. So in my opinion, they upgraded by adding Bell. And, he actually wants to play in Utah with Sloan. Good news for Jazz fans, because not too many players put the Jazz on their list of places to be.

Good luck next season Jazz, you'll need it. PHX has made some serious off season moves, and I don't think we'll be seeing you in the playoffs next season, but I'll be in the Energy Solutions Arena to watch an always good matchup between our two teams.

• Buzz
    July 16, 2010 12:06 p.m.

You Spazz fans think that he chose Utah over the Lakers because of the team? That KOC convinced him before Kobe could even talk to him. That is utter and complete Spazz delusion at its best. News Flash: He went there for the money- almost double what the Lakers were offering.

Only Spazz fans could turn something as miniscule as this as a way to satifsy their delusional loyalty. You go ahead and revel in your "victory." To bad it won't translate into a ring let alone victories against the Lakers next year.

With all the complaining that you Spazz fans do about the "greedy, selfish" Lakers players you just showed your hypocrisy by your acceptance of what Bell did.

Oh and all this talk about Bell being able to guard Kobe, or that Bell stuck it to Kobe... nonesense. You'll find out this year just how well Bell matches up with Kobe.

• SoCal28
    July 16, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Glad to read the interview with the rival paper.

Suggest all those pounding their chests about beating Kobe & Lakers out for the services of Raja Bell.

Clearly states that he and Kobe get along and that when he called him and explained "his situation" that Kobe AGREED with him that it was a "no brainer".

Laker fans don't want anyone to take a contract with the Lakers unless they WANT to go for a championship. Lakers play for championships!

• JazzyMan
    July 16, 2010 4:58 p.m.

Buzz,Jazz fans on this site like me feel so sorry for you and your team ,the Lakers.It's an outright shame that the Lakers and their fans don't get everyone and everything that they set out for. I'm sure about 25 other teams in the NBA lost alot of sleep because the Lakers coudn't land Bell too. Boo Hoo,now I will cry for you. Maybe when your team and fans have to win a championship the hard way (via the draft ,etc and not signing Gasol for a bag of chips) you'll for once appreciate what you have.

• SoCal28
    July 16, 2010 8:20 p.m.

@JazzyMan

Poster Basketballogy did a great job in reminding Jazz fans what went down on the Gasol trade on a Deseret News blog a couple of days ago:

"Pau Gasol went to L.A. in exchange for:

(1) Javaris Crittenton, a solid backup guard,

(2) Kwame Brown, a starter on a playoff team (Lakers)

(3) Marc Gasol, who averaged 15 points and 9 rebounds last season and was 4th in the NBA in shooting percentage.

Pau Gasol going to L.A. is the statistical equivalent of Chris Bosh going to Cleveland..."

"bag of chips" for Gasol, I don't think so!

You just got Al Jefferson with your TPE and some draft picks... not bad.

Believe me Laker fans are not losing any sleep over Raja Bell. Jazz offered him a lot more money than the Lakers did!

How do you think the Lakers got Bynum? (via the draft!) Lakers also have traded for players like Trevor Ariza and Shannon Brown that previously had bounced around the league and were not being used.

• BleedCougarBlue
    July 17, 2010 11:24 p.m.

So if Bell is so good that we want him now then why did we let him go the first time?

Did I miss something?