Utah Jazz: Kyle Korver joining Carlos Boozer in Chicago

Comments

• GreasyDave
    July 9, 2010 4:56 p.m.

Meh.

• TrueFan
    July 9, 2010 4:58 p.m.

We knew he wasn't coming back for some time. I'm glad he's going to the east though, instead of another western conference contender. It's a no brainer the Jazz will match any offer for Matthews now, and that's fine by me. I love the kid. I wish they would play him 35 minutes a night.

• Bay Area Dude
    July 9, 2010 5:03 p.m.

If the Jazz need me, I could be ready in a week or so.

• Jazz-Nation
    July 9, 2010 5:11 p.m.

This sucks! I really wanted Korver back. I wish him the best.

• carpediem
    July 9, 2010 5:12 p.m.

The Bulls are now looking like the old Jazz, but they actually have a decent center. Now all they need is Jerry Sloan to say he wants to be closer to his farm and the team he use to play for, and D-Will to say he missis Illinois.

• Jazz-Nation
    July 9, 2010 5:15 p.m.

C'MON KOC DUE SOMETHING TO HELP US OUT, I FEEL LIKE THE JAZZ ARE SINKING FAST!!KK HELPED SPREAD THE FLOOR, CJ WILL HAVE TO STEP UP BIG OR ELSE WE ARE IN TROUBLE.

• vman
    July 9, 2010 5:18 p.m.

Sorry SLC. When you don't see the value in people, you lose them. So much for winning 50 games next year. Like I said in others posts, it's time to take a long long look at Jerry Sloan. Last year he rarely used his bench and his big guys were beat up by Playoff time. Jazz were lucky to beat the Nuggets and stood no chance vs Laker w/o Okur and The Russian. Jazz will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. Let Jerry Sloan retire w/ grace.

• Old Timer
    July 9, 2010 5:19 p.m.

I dearly hope that losing Korver isn't a precursor to signing Brewer. Brewer has "NO" shot and never will, he is a class person but we need shooters and defenders and he doesn't fill that roll either, because as a man up defender he is terrible. No Jazz, no Brewer please!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz
    July 9, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Bulls look to be up there with Magic, Celtics and Heat. They are paying him a lot less than they were Hinrich. Guess Hinrich played some defense too though.

Best of luck to Korver and the Bulls. I hope the Jazz can get Matthews at a decent price.

• Uteology
    July 9, 2010 5:21 p.m.

That's okay we still have another 3 point specialist, Okur. Unfortunately he costs $9 million a year. Chicago got a better deal.

Lets hope Okur develops an inside game this summer and learns to play defense.

Here's to another 50ish win season and early exit in the postseason.

Lets hope in two years DWill isn't making "The Decision" for Dallas or LA. But I wouldn't blame him, see unlike The Queen, Utah is not a 61+ win team.

• Vince
    July 9, 2010 5:26 p.m.

Utah please, please get with Minnesota and see if we can't get Kevin Love somehow, someway. He fills a big hole we presently have in the middle and is a young low paid baller! Also explore the potenial of getting Favors fron N.J. for A.K. & Fess or whatever would blow their Russian owners skirt in the air. We might as well start a smart rebuild NOW!

• vman
    July 9, 2010 5:26 p.m.

This puts way too much pressure on Gordon Hayward. He's not ready for the pounding of 80 games. He's no Kyle Korver. Make Hayward put on 20 lbs. then his uniform will fit and the other NBAers might respect him. He'll be tested that is if he gets off Jerry Sloan's bench.

• kman
    July 9, 2010 5:31 p.m.

bittersweet news, the signing of booz and kover, you kind of love 'em then hate 'em.

• The Great Houdini
    July 9, 2010 5:31 p.m.

Not to worry...we have Miles

• spongebob[]pants
    July 9, 2010 5:34 p.m.

So we go from Korver's record setting year to Hayward's 29% from the college line, wow!

• BillM75
    July 9, 2010 5:42 p.m.

Korver picked the right team, and they paid him more than the Jazz could or would. Sad to lose him, but he's very one-dimensional (and streaky), can't create his own shot & falls off noticeably in the playoffs.

Be nice to keep him, but 3/15 is too much. No grudge, he always tried and was straight up about his free agency. Bulls are gonna be tough if they stay healthy. carpediem, you're right about the Bulls resembling the Jazz; imagine if we could've drafted Noah (he went 9th)....

CJ (& Hayward) are going to have to step up HUGE.

I hope Sloan adjusts his sytem to his players, rather than force his players into unnatural roles and get KOC to make some panicky signings (lol, yeah right).

• Jazzinator
    July 9, 2010 5:54 p.m.

I think I'm offically ready to ween myself from being a Jazz or NBA fan. We've lost 2 of my favorite players, and we definitely don't make the playoffs this year. Basketball was nice to watch before it became all about money with no loyalty. People like Lebron have wrecked it for everyone. Sorry, I think I'm hangin up Jazz basketball. The players aren't as loyal as the fans, and I have stayed a loyal one. It's over now. Soyonora!!!

• humanhighlightfilm
    July 9, 2010 5:54 p.m.

One more great free agency, or lack of, move and get ready to enjoy the ping pong show in New York.(Draft lottery). Are we trying to compete for the championship or make the 8th seed in the playoffs. I'm sure if Kobe was Deron Williams right now he'd be thrilled with all our free agency activity! Can we at least act like we are trying to iimprove! I'm sure we can sign someone like Udonis Haslam and turn our whole summer around! Lol. The best news of the summer is a trade exception! Really!!

• B Russ
    July 9, 2010 5:55 p.m.

I always thought Korver was over rated and lacked the mobility to play defense. Last season ( contract year ) he really improved his strength and worked very hard out there on the floor. He shot the ball very well and I thought he had a very good season. I didn't like that he tried to pad his 3 point stats by not shooting when we needed him at the end of the season though when we jockeying for playoff position. He's been a huge upgrade from Giricek when you look at it. Good in the community. Hope does well in Chicago. Hope we replace he and Boozer with some more defensive minded guys that can still score too.

• Jazz Source
    July 9, 2010 5:57 p.m.

Notice Boozer neglected to mention that Korver can dribble...the primary reason being that HE CAN'T!!

Mr. Korver shot a very pedestrian 37% against Denver in the playoffs and that included the one game where he made like 6 of 8.

Then in the Lakers series he really lit it up making a whole FIVE 3 pointers, yes FIVE, over the entire 4 games series.

Wow, how can we ever live without that.

Korver was completely neutralized every year in the playoffs.

Did any one see Boozer/Millsap left wide open in the middle because Korver was making alot of 3's against the Lakers?

No, I didn't notice either BECAUSE IT NEVER HAPPENED. All you have to do is run a Korver because he is NEVER a threat to put the ball on the floor and beat his man.....as in NEVER.

Good guy but basically average at best when it mattered in the playoffs.

Matthews and Butler can both put the ball on the floor to go by their defenders which makes them more difficult to defend.

• A Real Sports Reporter
    July 9, 2010 5:58 p.m.

Lets be like cleveland and freak out that they're betrading us and leaving us and turn our love into sudden hate

• The Final Word
    July 9, 2010 6:02 p.m.

Boozer and Korver are going to a pretty decent team the Bulls have put together however it will all be for not because they will never beat the boys in Miami.

They may as well flush the $90 million they just spent on Korver and Boozer down the drain because while they may be better than they were, those two can't win you a championship---especially Korver who has been essentially nonexistent in the last 2 post seasons with the Jazz.

• Jazz-Nation
    July 9, 2010 6:11 p.m.

If I was KOC I really would bring in Shannon Brown, the guy can defend he can shoot, he can drive to the hole, he was koby Bryants back up, he has RINGS and he is a free agent!! Seriously!!The Lakers cant afford him thats why they signed Blake. He would play perfect along side D-Will in the back court and have Wes Mathews coming off the bench.?????

• Basketballogy
    July 9, 2010 6:20 p.m.

Chicago coach Tom Thibadeau is the architect of the Boston Celtics defense, the NBA's best defense -- especially in the playoffs.

Thibadeu's defensive schemes brought the UNDERSIZED Celtics within 6 minutes of their 2nd NBA championship in 3 years.

Think about that.

The NBA's foremost defensive guru WANTED Boozer and Korver.

If you are laughing at that, then maybe you should be questioning whether or not you are the basketball genius you think you are.

I've known Carlos since high school in Juneau. I went to his games, even the state championship games in Anchorage. I followed his career at Duke, where, by the way, you don't play for Coach K if you don't defend. I thrilled at his NCAA championship, which you don't do if you don't defend either.

It's good to see someone who recognizes and wants that kind of contribution on his team.

I'm happy that Carlos and Kyle have gone somewhere where people will be less abusive and hypercritical and more appreciative, although I don't know how Chicago is gonna get past the Miami All-Stars.

• The Great Houdini
    July 9, 2010 6:20 p.m.

What exactly is going on here? we`ve lost Boozer and Korver and added Hayward and Evans...at this point I don`t even see us as a playoff team,that`s right Clippers and GS are probably better than we are,sad,very sad.Starting five Williams,Matthews,AK,Millsap and Memo,not too bad,but our bench,good grief,Gaines,Price,Hayward,Miles,OJ,Kuf and Fes....Wow

• H2OSKI
    July 9, 2010 6:22 p.m.

I am going to burn my Korver Jersey in the town square!! LOL!!

Not. No tears here.

I wouldn't waste my money on that jersey.

Someone should warn Chicago that if Korver is near setting any record he will stop shooting to protect it. He did at the end of last season here.

Then he layed an egg as usual in the playoffs.

Maybe he should have gone to a Deron Williams Junior Jazz camp these past summers so he could learn to put the ball on the floor so he could maybe do more than one thing.

The market says we had to overpay for him when he opted in last year and he got $6 million from us.

Hasta la vista Kutcher!!!

• The Great Houdini
    July 9, 2010 6:30 p.m.

Boozer can`t defend and Korver can`t do anything and yet a pretty good Chicago team want`s em both....makes you wonder

• Dixie Dan
    July 9, 2010 6:39 p.m.

Gee, I wonder why no stampede by all the free agents to sign with the Jazz?

• Sokol
    July 9, 2010 6:42 p.m.

My Korver Jersey has been torched....I lit it up in the town plaza in Santa Fe...Traders, I think I will burn a fake statue of KOC in effigy....The Jazz are tanking the team...How do they expect their fan base to be excited? Wasn't Korver one of the fan favorites?

• An Asian Perspective
    July 9, 2010 7:05 p.m.

Kover's a good shooter if he can get a shot. But it only takes Vujacic to shut him down.

With Boozer and Kover, both of whom were defensive liabilities in Utah, I wonder how the new coach in Chicago who's known for defense will do his job there.

If you can separate out how much Kover was loved by fans and the community and not hated by the stubborn coach, was he really an upgrade over Giricek? Giri made 54% from 3 in playoff when Jazz went to West final.

Kover will be missed by some fans for non-basketball reasons, but I don't think he will be missed as much by basketball fans for basketball reasons.

• totenkopf
    July 9, 2010 7:13 p.m.

I agree with you Jazz-Nation. Brown will be nice upgrade.

• An Asian Perspective
    July 9, 2010 7:17 p.m.

• grj
    July 9, 2010 7:30 p.m.

Bummer that the Jazz brass seem to be standing on the curb, watching as the parade of good, available NBA players passes them by. I don't live in Utah any more, but have bought NBA League Pass the past few years to watch "my team." Looks like I'm going to have an extra $180 to blow this fall.

• jp3
    July 9, 2010 7:30 p.m.

Guess millions and millions and millions of dollars doesn't buy loyalty...good riddance Booze and Korver.

• Jazzsmack
    July 9, 2010 8:06 p.m.

RE: Basketballogy | 6:20 p.m.

So why didn't his college coach play him in the olympics?

that fact is the Bulls lost out on everyone one worth signing,

and out of desperation signed boozer.

korver is really irrelevant, but looks good on paper.

• macnamara
    July 9, 2010 8:11 p.m.

Why all the energy spent on Boozer and korver. Haven't you people got a team to think about. THEY'RE GONE....In Boozer's case, it's what you've wanted!......Give it up!!

• Thlete
    July 9, 2010 8:30 p.m.

Congrats to Korver, I think he'll fit in well at Chicago and thrive. He was great to have in a Jazz uniform and a wonderful asset to the community with his exceptional charities, but like he mentioned before, Sloan doesn't have one play in the book for him to spot up for the 3. Chicago will utilize him better and the Jazz were never going to be able to pay him 3/15 like the Bulls will. You will be missed, KK.

• RockOn
    July 9, 2010 8:46 p.m.

Two non-defensive players gone... Good on offense.
    Just need two players half as good on offense but twice as good on defense. Not that tough.

• GoUtah
    July 9, 2010 9:40 p.m.

Life is good!

Boozer's goin' to Chicago . . . Korver, too! Utah's going to the PAC. Lots of great moves!

• shaybo
    July 9, 2010 10:01 p.m.

BillM75: For being "streaky" 53% from 3's ain't too bad.

• shaybo
    July 9, 2010 10:04 p.m.

Maybe the Great Houdini doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

• shaybo
    July 9, 2010 10:07 p.m.

The Jazz will be crying their eyes out because they need a shooter within a month into the season. People have short memories and don't remember how it was before Korver came to town and how his presence turned the Jazz season around.

• MOTO X
    July 9, 2010 11:47 p.m.

re: shaybo

Ya, korver is good in the regular season and then a bust in the post season. I have seen that re-run twice and I am bored with it.

Korver was average at best shooting just 37% against Denver in the playoffs.

Then he mad a whole 5 three pointers in 4 games against the Lakers.

By my math that is not alot of production to replace.

If you can't contribute in the playoffs then whats the point really.

So long Korver. Don't forget to practice your dribbling...it really would help matters if you could do more than one thing come playoff time.

• moodyblue77
    July 9, 2010 11:55 p.m.

Good news for Korver. Lots of teams have money to waste. I can't blame anyone for taking 15 million funny money dollars. The world of sports is insane.

• Bugoff
    July 10, 2010 1:04 a.m.

5 Mill a year was reasonable for Korver given the current market. He had his liabilities but CHI will actually run plays for him and he is likely to do well.

Even with Boozer the Jazz were a .500 team with out a Korver type player to spread the floor. He will have to be replaced pretty quick.

The front office was pretty clear that they were not enthused with bringing Korver back.

I am not sure what plan they have but so far they have done nothing to improve the outside shooting, defense or rebounding. They have done nothing to fix the problems at C or even get a back up PF.

They need to make a move or 2 that makes some sense. They are losing weak defenders and that is a start but who is going to replace them? When are they going to be replaced?

If they are going to take 2 years to rebuild they need to tell the fans openly that they are planning on gradually rebuilding. Haslem would be an okay back up PF. He defends but he is undersized. He was very loyal to MIA which stabbed him.

• Bugoff
    July 10, 2010 1:11 a.m.

The Jazz could have kept Korver if they wanted to. They wanted to make a change. 5 mill was not the issue. 3 years would not have hurt them.

I would prefer the Jazz get a back up PF who has some size and length. Haslem has neither. He will and can demand a multi year contract. I really do not see him coming to Utah.

I would like to see the Jazz pick up some outside shooting that can defend. That would be a big step forward. They have to get some rebounding also. Fes and Koufos might do that for a year IF they get it together. However, they are going to need more rebounding from the SF position with AK backing up the PF.

The Jazz are losing bad defenders but they need to start getting back some talent before camp starts.

• The Great Houdini
    July 10, 2010 8:13 a.m.

no shaydo...you know it all

• Doug10
    July 10, 2010 8:37 a.m.

Kyle I will enjoy watching you in Chicago, good luck there. There is a reason that several teams talked with him but only a single one made an offer and it was for less than he made in Utah. That vs Ray Allen who is older and got 10 million a year. Who does the league think is a better shooter?

Cavs are upset with LeBron who they watched his entire NBA career and then he chose to leave them. Matthews is doing that to the Jazz. He was so excited to go and see other teams and get the big bucks, showing no appreciation or loyalty for the fans or the team locally. He said he will not give the Jazz $1 break staying in Utah vs going to another team.

Just as Portland turned up their nose at you I hope each other team does as well and that you end up playing for less than you made last year. I see no need to raise primadonnas locally.

• Old Timer
    July 10, 2010 9:00 a.m.

I'll second the Shannon Brown deal and get Price and Gaines outa here. Next go get Love fron Minn at whatever cost or players, next start the regular season out giving playing time to KK, Fess, Jeffers and anyone else questionable and find out if they have what it takes, if they don't wave bye, bye. Lets get this machine tuned up management. You have the tools now with the trade exceptions so use them.

• CJ
    July 10, 2010 9:12 a.m.

Hate to see Kyle go, Hayward will in no way replace him, let's face it. If the Bulls think Boozer is going to take them to the promised land they are in for a big surprise however.

• Old Timer
    July 10, 2010 9:14 a.m.

One final deal to make as long as we are in a somewhat rebuilding stage would be to trade A.K. to N.J. for Favors their #3 pick this year and once again the trade exception can be used here also. With Love, Favors, Milsap, Okur, hopefully either or both Koufus and Fess stepping up we can become competitive real soon.

• boctie
    July 10, 2010 9:43 a.m.

Yeah for Kyle! Going to a team that will appreciate him like Philly did. For those of you who think Kyle is "streaky" check out his stats from Philly (where they actually gave him the ball a lot so he could shoot it!!)

Ranks second on the all-time franchise list for most three-point field goals made (623)

Had a career-best 28-game streak with at least one three-pointer snapped, at Washington (1/16/06) the second-longest streak in franchise history…

In 2004-05, set the single-season franchise record for threepoint field goals made and attempted

… Became the fifth player in franchise history to record a perfect three-point field goal percentage (minimum five 3FGA)

Became the first rookie to participate in the 2004 NBA All-Star Weekend Three-Point Shootout, finishing third overall…

Made a career-high and NBA season-high 47 consecutive free throws from 2/14- 3/24/07…

Accounted for 46.5% of the Sixers total 3FGM, the most one player accounted for any team across the league

• IDJazz12
    July 10, 2010 10:05 a.m.

Face it this is a year the Jazz plan on tanking....There is no one left to sign and the Jazz have there thumb where the sun does not shine as usual.
    Just early good bye to Dwill I will miss you when you opt out and head to Dallas.

• Jazz Source
    July 10, 2010 12:05 p.m.

re: boctie

Gee thanks for the run down on the Korver/sixer stats. Too bad that is basically irrelevant. In case you did not notice the SIXERS STINK!

Lots of guys can get stats on bad teams.

Lets talk about all the clutch performances that Korver put in to help us win playoff games.

.....cue sound of crickets....

There is a reason Ray Allen got paid 10 million and Korver got 5. Ray Allen can dribble for one. Ray Allen can shoot above average from 3 point range in the post season.

Korver repeated demonstrated he has no game in the playoffs....and was easily neutralized. He shot league average at best. Lots of players we have shoot league average from deep so why keep one that can't dribble?

• vman
    July 10, 2010 12:08 p.m.

Wake up all you SLC Boozer and Kyle Korver critics (especially Houdini-Nice name). Bringing in a defensive minded team in the Western Conference will not help the Jazz. Right, can you see anyone paying $125/seat to watch a 69-65 slugfest w/ 5-6 million $ players fouling out. This is not the Eastern Conference. LA, Denver, OKC, Portland, The Sun and Spurs will run circles around the "Defensive Minded" new Jazz. Jerry Sloan will refuse to call Time outs (like he always does) and The Jazz fan can sit on their hands and hope to beat the Clippers. The 3 pt. play adds excitement to the NBA- now you don't have it. But you will have PAC 10 Basketball shortly. Glote over that.

• vman
    July 10, 2010 1:43 p.m.

Good Comments Boctie, you're right on- Put Kyle Korver in the game early on and he'll make a difference- all SLC fans saw playing him 5 minutes in the 2nd Qtr and 10 minutes in the 3 Qtr didn't make his production outstanding. The Coach bears the blame for having a GREAT 3 pt. shooter and not developing plays for him. Time after time we saw KK come down the court w/o the ball and cut from one corner to the other other- Duh?? Even a HS player could stop this play. Its nice that KK is such a great human guy and most of the SLC population will miss this factor. His foundation is doing amazing Christian things. (Show me another Jazz player that does that) You don't know what you've got until it's gone. I'm sure Coach Tom Thibodeau will figure out how to include Kyle Korver more in his offense- that will open up the down low for Booz and Noah. So in many ways Booz also wins w/ this trade.

• jazzbball
    July 10, 2010 2:25 p.m.

Meanwhile, the Jazz front office sits around and does nothing while teams around them get better, make trades, and actually do something.

We're a 40 win team tops.

• Samwise
    July 10, 2010 2:43 p.m.

Unlike Boozer, I actually hope Korver does well in Chicago. He seems like a pretty good guy. But I have one very important question that I think Jazz management should look seriously at: Now who are all the female Jazz fans going to swoon over?

• spaceman
    July 10, 2010 4:05 p.m.

Why would Korver stay? Sloan benched him. But Sloan still has CJ Miles. What a complete and total joke. Please let Sloan retire. No good player will play for him anymore.

• Maverick
    July 10, 2010 4:47 p.m.

RE: Samwise

Gordon Hayward

• BleedCougarBlue
    July 10, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Good grief!

We've lost Boozer, Mathews and Korver!

Derron Williams can't be happy about that.

Looks like it's going to be a couple of tough years ahead of us.....

• The Great Houdini
    July 10, 2010 8:28 p.m.

vman another know it all

• shaybo
    July 11, 2010 1:15 a.m.

I know ground and pound.

• THEeyepatch
    July 11, 2010 5:25 a.m.

It just makes me sick that Korver get so much love and Boozer gets "horns", i.e. TSLT post a pic of Boozer with the Chi. Bulls horn behind him, making him look like a DEVIL." Back in 2007, or between '03-'07? Korver took the 76ers to a playoff game.. right. The only reason the Jazz made it to the 2007 Western Conference Final's was because of BOOZER. Someone who didn't start a game in the '09-10 season get's so much love and Boozer is the reason why the Jazz never won a championship. He's the goat? How many Champ. did Stockton and Malone win? How many did they go to in their combined 40+ years in the league? 2, get over yourself Jazz fan, you don't have any Championship Banners hanging in the.... whatever. Sloan will win, and he does it every year. Just be glad your beloved Jazz aren't in the cellar. But maybe that's what you need, to snap you out of your delusional "prima donna" expectations.

• Kakashi
    July 11, 2010 7:44 p.m.

for me...i'll just enjoy the Jazz play...when the Jazz play...you know they are as tough as nails team...hard-nosed defense...and a very good offensive system...people should accept the fact that the jazz is a small market team...i've been saying that in most of my posts...and just be happy that we could hang around the large market teams...just be glad we are not the clippers...the time when Stockton, Malone and Hornacek went to the finals...they where up against...Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Harper, Kukoc and Longley...Talent wise...Chicago would win hands down...but on the Jazz second finals appearance...we pushed them to 6 games...it says a lot about the system the guys were playing...i just hope people should be glad that their team is winning...and even if they are losing...they should stick to their team...if you really love your team...support them...i will continue to support the Jazz...through thick and thin...and believe that some day...the stars of the major market teams...fall into injuries by playoff time...and we steal away one..