Utah Jazz: Carlos Boozer sign-and-trade agreement reached with Bulls

Comments

• Brave Sir Robin
    July 8, 2010 1:11 p.m.

So to summarize....

The Bulls get: Carlos Boozer and a 2nd-rounder

The Jazz get: Half a pepperoni pizza

I hate to say it, but the Jazz came out ahead in this trade.

• Hero
    July 8, 2010 1:13 p.m.

So what can utah do with this TPE then? I don't understand the value of it completly?

• Mctejman
    July 8, 2010 1:15 p.m.

Serious? That's the best we could get out of Chicago? Why did we even bother?

• Red Barchetta
    July 8, 2010 1:20 p.m.

That's good news for the Jazz. Let's get this train rolling now and make some deals. You have alot of work to do KOC, so let's get busy! GO JAZZ! BYE BOOZER!

• Todd from Santa Ana
    July 8, 2010 1:21 p.m.

It doesn't matter. Like the Jazz will make any moves. Jer and the sloanaholics are too afraid to make any moves. If the Jazz make any major moves before the trade deadline, I Todd From Santa Ana will take grammar classes and become a sloanaholic.

• Newsjunky
    July 8, 2010 1:25 p.m.

Sounds like management is at least doing some kind of dealing. I was worried that the are just letting Boozer go without getting anything.

• Bazinga
    July 8, 2010 1:26 p.m.

I guess it's better than nothing?

• B Russ
    July 8, 2010 1:26 p.m.

I'm glad we got a little something out of him. Now the bulls will have teams continually driving on them in the paint exposing Boozers lack of defense.

I hope we can snag Amundsen now to help Milsap with the power forward duties. Amundsen is another guy like Milsap who brings his lunch bucket to work and plays defense.

• CJ
    July 8, 2010 1:27 p.m.

Whew Baby!! Keep my feet from dancing!! What a coup we pulled off on that one.

• RobSing
    July 8, 2010 1:28 p.m.

This is good news if they are able to use this wisely! which doesn't mean signing the entire trio of Korver, Matthews and re-sign brewer. And PLEASE don't go after david lee, he and milsap are arguably the same player. Go get a BIG!

• Niximus
    July 8, 2010 1:32 p.m.

Nope, Nope, Nope, I think now I am convinced that Kevin O'Conner needs to be fired.

• AltaHawkFan
    July 8, 2010 1:34 p.m.

Re: Todd

Obviously, the Jazz intend to get a player or they wouldn't have bothered to send the 2nd round pick to get the TPE. The TPE gives them much greater flexibility to acquire a player w/o having to send a player in return and opens the door for any other NBA team to do business with them.

• GreasyDave
    July 8, 2010 1:35 p.m.

The TLE will allow the Jazz to potentially do a S&T with other teams with FAs we might be interested in. Possibly Al Harrington or David Lee. We can even use it on any other player up to $13 million. Its very valuable, because it's now we have cap space.

• ECR
    July 8, 2010 1:35 p.m.

Todd - How about buying us all dinner instead?

• LKA
    July 8, 2010 1:37 p.m.

Great News.. A trade exeption can be used to sign another player without involving one of the Jazz players. They have one year to use this exeption. The one from Harp must be used by the one year mark of when he was traded,Brewers also. I think the Jazz will come out smelling like a rose on this one. Good Luck to Boozer but I dont think he can remain healthy for his entir contract with the Bulls. Win-Win situation. Lets go after David Lee..

• BillM75
    July 8, 2010 1:37 p.m.

Sweet. Obv the Bulls know they aren't getting LBJ so they're not going send us Deng, and with Loozer's injury history they certainly can't risk sending us Taj Gibson.

Other than Rose & Noah, they have crap. Miller is a FA who'd want way too much money and isn't really that good, albeit certainly better than what we have.

• Observation-ist
    July 8, 2010 1:38 p.m.

Todd from Santa Ana, you are one sorry weened-on-a-pickle ... person. I was going to call you a fan, but your rhetoric doesn't warrant such a lofty title.

Your constant dogging of Jerry Sloan runs contrary to most respected people in the NBA. I wonder where you get such arrogance. Perhaps you're actually a college coach somewhere? Or, perhaps you're the alter-ego of a current NBA GM somewhere? Or perhaps you're just a sour grapes average joe like the rest of us with an out-of-whack ego.

I'm not sure what you are except to say your arrogance and snobbery toward the Jazz and Jerry says more about you than it does about them.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 1:39 p.m.

Imposters!!!!

Yeahhhhhh

What intellect

• Niximus
    July 8, 2010 1:39 p.m.

This has been one of the most anticipated offseasons in Jazz history, and Kevin O has completely blown it.

• Niximus
    July 8, 2010 1:40 p.m.

• Niximus
    July 8, 2010 1:44 p.m.

• UTAH MAN AM I
    July 8, 2010 1:44 p.m.

While this is good news, I can't say that I'm optimistic about Tweedle Dee O'Connor using it wisely. As of now, we have three players making a combined $40 million, and they need to fill out the roster with the remaining $18 mil. Fantastic. I'm sure we can put together a championship team with the rest of that. And that's not even considering Millsap and Miles. So after them, we have about $6-8 mil left. Awesome. Sometimes I have being a Jazz fan. Had Utah not been accepted by the Pac-10, I'd be in sports hell right now (otherwise known as Cleveland).

• Niximus
    July 8, 2010 1:45 p.m.

• TrueFan
    July 8, 2010 1:46 p.m.

This was a terrific move. The Jazz now have the asset they needed to bring in a significant addition to the team. This is a much bigger TPE then teams usually receive. I'm not sure some fans really understand the implications of this. I'm stoked. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing they will use this trade chip sooner, rather then later.

• Bugoff
    July 8, 2010 1:47 p.m.

Todd You are now treading on dangerous ground. Be careful. The Jazz will move because they have to. When forced they actually make pretty good decisions.

Losing Boozer is not the problem. How many times has Boozer been out over the last 6 years? A 1/3 of the time. The Jazz did okay without him.

The problem is losing Boozer, Okur and Korver all at once.

Making things a lot more difficult are several teams with tons of cap space creating an FA bidding war right now.

What goes straight up usually comes straight back down. By the trade deadline the new CBA may be clearer and there is likely to be a double lux tax or a hard cap. A lot of teams will be dumping good players.

The Jazz will have this TE until July 8 next year. They can trade for any player(s) they want during that time. They have AK expiring and Okur after that.

All they have to do is wait for the right players over the next 2 years and get them. It may be sparse until Christmas but the younger players will develop.

The Jazz will rebuild.

• Snark
    July 8, 2010 1:49 p.m.

I am anxious for the season. Hayward is already looking pretty good! This ought to be a very exciting week!

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 1:50 p.m.

B Russ

Another Sloanaholic

I will not let up until change is made and not Ron Brewer

YEah lets get lunchpail workers like Taj Gibson although a fan a whopping 6-8 with skill basically only around the basket and undersized

Get Admundson

How about acquiring a legit 6-10 guy or better?

It is always about what pleases Sloan and the Sloanaholics

It should be what pleases the serious minority fan base

• Fred704
    July 8, 2010 1:52 p.m.

TPE is for trading players not for signing free agents.

• UTAH MAN AM I
    July 8, 2010 1:54 p.m.

Now that I think about this, I guess it's actually a pretty good thing, used correctly. AK's contract comes off the books next year, so they can get a decent player for around $13 mil a year this year without it having to ding them next year. In a summer of Jazz disappointment so far, this is about the best news that we the fans have received.

• gazelle
    July 8, 2010 1:55 p.m.

It seems sometimes people just jump at the chance to rip on the team no matter what decisions they make.

Yesterday Boozer was walking away for nothing! But yet today the Jazz worked a out a deal. Did anyone read the article? At least now there is the possibility that they can sign and trade or trade to get a significant player without having to lose anybody else. This glass is half full !!

• louisiana jazz man
    July 8, 2010 1:56 p.m.

lokks like they had in mind millsap replacing boz and hayward replacing kirlinko next year BUT looks like hayward caint jump. probly can shoot better wich dont take much . every time he goes to the hole he gets blocked. dufus dont look much better to me fes probly be the same. matthews caint jump or finish. cj can when he wants to. looks like a long year for williams and millie unless they get some help

• UTAH MAN AM I
    July 8, 2010 1:57 p.m.

@ LKA

So if I understand you correctly, we have TLEs from Harpring and Brewer as well? So does that mean we technically have about $25 mil in trade level exceptions? If I remember correctly, Harpring made about $8 mil and Brewer made around $4. Is that right?

• BBSmith
    July 8, 2010 1:57 p.m.

We don't want another PF, we want a C!! Let AK have a chance to play some PF this year along with Milsap!! He might be able to get closer to his All Star form then!!!

• Roundabout
    July 8, 2010 2:00 p.m.

@Niximus

Not sure why you're calling for KOC to be fired... the only other option the Jazz had was to match or exceed the offer from Chicago, and then you'd be complaining that he was overpaid.

@RobSing

Nothing wrong with having two of "the same player" when those two have shown they can put up double doubles consistently (especially in a Sloan system that caters to a PG/PF system). As much as I like Milsap (and I like him a lot), I just don't see him as an exceptional starting PF in this league.

I'm hoping that we acquire Lee, Kou/Fes learn to play big to sub for Okur, and we get a quality and realiable 2 guard good for 12/night.

• Bugoff
    July 8, 2010 2:00 p.m.

Signing Korver,Mathews or Brewer does not use any of the Boozer TPE. Korver is a resign. Mathews is MLE and Brewer is what is left of the MLE or the TPE of 2.7 mill that his trade created last year.

Lee may be an option at 13 Mill but he will go else where, probably for more money.

The TPE (traded player exemption) results from trading a player to a team with cap space. They give back a TPE instead of a player of equal value. Look at it as NBA trade cash. TPEs can be used to trade for other players (including non FAs) at any time from any team up until they expire (1 year).

The Jazz have 3 TPEs. Harp at 6.5 Mill that expires in a few months. Brewer at 2.7 Mill and Boozer at about 13 Mill.

The Jazz have a lot of flex now in rebuilding. They just have to wait for the right players and the right deals.

They could take back combinations of bad contracts and draft picks if they choose.

They should be able to get a good C at the trade deadline.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 2:01 p.m.

ECR how about buying me dinner for my genius besides I am self employed in a Collections business with people who do not pay. I am looking for something better, but do not worry!!

I can still post at night and provide analysis worthy of something.

Serious notes: I want to salute "Houdini"

Harry, a known Sloanaholic. However, a fair one...His takes on this roster are right on the money. The only thing I really disagree on is Kirilenko. I just do not think he can make it through a whole season.

This is as much reason as any why I keep ranting about Kirilenko because it is a disease this roster needs to eliminate

• Jojo
    July 8, 2010 2:02 p.m.

The value of the TPE depends upon what the bulls are actually paying Boozer a year. If the contract with Boozer is front heavy, the TPE goes up in value. TPE's can be traded just like players, it opens up greater possibilities with the Jazz. The Jazz now have over $20 million in TPE value, with a trade for AK 47 in the works. Enough to attract King James???

Lets see what KOC can do!

Jojo

• blauch
    July 8, 2010 2:04 p.m.

I love how 1280 said multiple times this morning that there is now way Chicago would do a sign a trade.

This sign and trade really has more value at the trade deadline. I mean if David Lee is available for 8 to 10 million - then great. But I think that New Jersey, New York and Chicago all have too much money and are spending too much right now.

The goal has to be to look for an under preforming team that is loosing money in Feb. That means that the Jazz really has to be a minimal player in the free agency - which is what they are doing. If they spend too much money now they won't maximum value of the sign and trade.

For example.
    If the 76er are really struggling this year, but Turner is playing amazing. They might want to cut salaries, get draft picks and prepare 2012. They trade Igoudala and 2nd for 1st round pick and the trade exception.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 2:06 p.m.

Bugoff, I hope you are right., All we can do is comment we cannot control what O Connor does. Then again, fans support and inability to criticize or tell Greg what they want is direct relation, to why O Connor and the Jazz believe in staying the course.

Change is great. It has to be the right change. How will David Lee help unless Milsap can play#3 full time. If he could sure.

• Hatedontwork
    July 8, 2010 2:08 p.m.

Good for both teams I think. Bulls had the cap room so it wasnt like they needed to do this. The Jazz had zero leverage.

• Jazz-Nation
    July 8, 2010 2:09 p.m.

The Jazz have close to 20 million in TRE that needs to be used within a year. Ronnie Brewer 2.7 Matt Harpring 6.5 and Boozer 13 million. They can sign or sign and trade with any team or add free agents w/o paying luxary tax. GREAT MOVE KOC, now do something with it!!GO JAZZ!!

• hatemessageboards
    July 8, 2010 2:11 p.m.

Sweet looking starting front line next year. Fes, Millsap and Miles that should put some serious fear into the opponents.

• Big_Ben
    July 8, 2010 2:16 p.m.

Could Marcin Gortat be on his way here?

• Roundabout
    July 8, 2010 2:20 p.m.

@BBSmith

It's a mistake imo to give AK serious minutes at PF. He's too slender and is posted up to easily. He can't go big body on them so he tries to be a shot blocker, which gets him into foul trouble.

AK is a very good play at SF because he's oversized but still quick with excellent hands.

IMO the Jazz have no serious contenders for a starting PF.

• blue dot!
    July 8, 2010 2:27 p.m.

Combine the two TPE's and go get Lebron.

Ok, ok. I know I know.

But seriously, this trade exception is worth something. Also consider that AK is a valuable trade chip this year with a huge expiring deal of his own.

The ability to trade for a 13 million dollar per year player is quite a chip to have in your pocket. After this free agent frenzy don't be surprised if some teams unload some nice players because their newly signed FA's have pushed their payrolls so high.

• Bugoff
    July 8, 2010 2:28 p.m.

The Jazz have 13+6.5+2.7 in TPEs. You can't combine them. Each has a different expiration date. They have to be used on different players.

The Jazz can resign Korver, Mathews and Fes without touching the TPEs. The Jazz have 13 Mill to get a C and 6.5 Mill to get a back up PF.

They have 2.7 for whatever. They have the rest of the MLE they do not spend on Mathews. They have the Vet minimum. They also can trade players.

The Jazz also have AK expiring and Okur the year after that.

They have tremendous flexibility to rebuild. The just need to let the FA market settle down first.

In the long run they can get better players than Boozer and Okur and fix their finances. They may be able to get some draft picks thrown in.

That is necessary to win a Champ.

Don't rip on KOC. He had NO leverage. This is all there was to get. Boozer could not get a max sign and trade which would have gotten a Bull player back.

Booz stiff the NETs. Be grateful he did not stiff the Jazz.

• Roundabout
    July 8, 2010 2:37 p.m.

Why does Gortat's name keep getting thrown in the mix? The guy puts up Fesenko numbers for 6x what we're paying Fesenko. Overpaid, and underachieving... no thanks.

• Bugoff
    July 8, 2010 2:38 p.m.

Tyson Chandler, Pryzbilla, Brad Miller, Troy Murphy, Hilario, Okafor, Jefferson, Beidrins, Blatche and Gortat now become possible with the TPE.

I am not saying they are available right now or even good but they become options under the right circumstances.

Ty Thomas is also feasible.

• Idahoan
    July 8, 2010 2:40 p.m.

My guess is that it's not Lee we go after, but it's Jefferson from Minnesota. Big man in the middle!!!

• livestrong
    July 8, 2010 2:44 p.m.

All of you calling for Kevin O'Connor being fired really don't understand the NBA. I'm glad you're not running the Jazz. Look around at the Knicks, Clippers, Nets, Mavericks, and lots of other teams making really bonehead moves. Our front office isn't the best in the league, but they are solid, especially considering the difficult market they have to deal with in attracting free agents to Utah.

The fact that KOC pulled this off is amazing. Think about it: Millsap will probably produce comparable numbers to Boozer next year for half the money. AND they get lots of cap space to trade for other players they need (hopefully a good Big). This is great since Boozer was going to walk anyway without Utah getting anything in return. The fact that the Jazz got something in return is actually pretty sweet because it didn't really benefit Chicago at all.

Great job, Jazz!

• Fred704
    July 8, 2010 2:45 p.m.

Maybe I am wrong. I think the only problem is Fesenko. If our MLE is used for Matthews and Brewer, other team can easily beat us by providing a contract better than his early bird contract. We don't have exception to match it.

• Brave Sir Robin
    July 8, 2010 2:50 p.m.

Okay, so the Jazz have this TPE.

Now what big white guy whose name starts with a "K" can they go after?

• Bugoff
    July 8, 2010 2:55 p.m.

Lee would be okay but he is a hot commodity and not the PF/C the Jazz need to beat LA. He would play the same role Booz played in the playoffs. He would play C with Millsap at PF. He is a better C than Booz.

That is the small ball line up that went backwards when Fes went out and Booz moved to C.

The Jazz need length and talent at C.

The big problem is that the ideal C and PF are not obvious right now. Further, the market is crazy.

Get some outside shooting and an insurance big like Amundson or Mahimni and wait for Gortat or a good player to come before the Harp TPE expires.

The Jazz know the next 5 years are on the line. They are forced to change. They will come thru given time to get good deals.

• joe5
    July 8, 2010 3:06 p.m.

I can't stop laughing. todd said: "I ... provide analysis worthy of something."

All I ever see if frothing at the mouth aboout KOC and Sloan, name calling those who don't agree (ie: "Sloanaholics"), and empty bravado. Check out his posts on this string (1:21pm, 1:39pm, 1:50pm, 2:01pm and 2:06pm) and see if you can find any "analysis worthy of something."

The Jazz are at $61M with 10 players on contract (including the two qualifying offers to Fesenko and Matthews. They can go to $70,307,000 before they start paying a penalty. Matthews will probably cost at least $1.5M more than the qualifying offer.

In short, even with the TEs in hand, the Jazz have to get someone to take some of their players if they want to add anyone who can make a difference. They don't want to move Williams or Millsap and the only other guys worth moving (based on creating some cap room below the penalty limit) are AK and Okur. Not likely to happen.

The Jazz are what they are which is pretty much stuck until next summer.

• RR
    July 8, 2010 3:25 p.m.

So, this is one of the biggest free agency times ever and Jazz are giving away their top scorer and rebounder and getting someone later in the future and will get the leftovers of all these free agents? Wow, this doesn't make any sense. The brains are smarter in Chicago than in SLC in the NBA.

• Roundabout
    July 8, 2010 3:48 p.m.

@RR

Don't feel obligated to give your opinion if you're unwilling to read the article. It has nothing to do with the Jazz "giving" anything away.

• gatortheraider96
    July 8, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Hey Bugoff and all the others that want David Lee(ME INCLUDED)It's looking like PF/C David Lee is NOT headed to the Phoenix Suns to replace Amar'e Stoudemire's.The latest has Lee going to the Golden State Warriors in a sign-and-trade deal with the New York Knicks, according to the Contra Costa Times.

The Knicks will get 6-10 center/forward Anthony Randolph, among other players if the deal goes through, the paper reports. A sure way for the deal to die is if LeBron James shocks everybody and announces Thursday night that he'll join Stoudemire with the Knicks.

But barring that announcement, Randolph may be taking his 11.6 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game to the Big Apple and Lee could be taking his 20.1 points and 11.7 rebounds per game to the Bay Area...
    SOOOO WHY IS IT THAT THE JAZZ CANT GET THAT WORKED OUT...??? Unless they are planning something else (LOL) One more example of WHY the Jazz will NEVER Win a TITLE ...TIME TO FIRE JERRY AND KOC and get NEW Blood in here...

• Batman
    July 8, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Hmmm, does give them leverage to trade for a vastly overpaid player on another team that that teams doesn't want. Sounds like a great move, KO. Keep up the great work. Nice to see your 1st rounder getting worked by guys drafted behind him as well. GM of the year!

• B Russ
    July 8, 2010 4:13 p.m.

@ Todd?

So now I'm one of your so called Sloanaholics because I think Lou Amundsen could help our team as Milsaps backup? Have you ever seen him play? I have been saying for 3 years now that we need to get a big man in the middle or Jerry needs to cut his biases and play Fes. I don't agree with everything Jerry and Kevin do but I do reconize their positives and refrain from continually ragging on them. Whatever.

I meant it when I said I hope your mother gets well. Not sure what your problem is but it seems to be progressing. Calm down and get a hold of yourself man. Everyone doesn't have to agree with your very negative thinking.

• Gnome
    July 8, 2010 4:16 p.m.

The comments of KOC being fired is for the bone head Draft Pick at number 9. We knew Boozer was gone. We all knew this. Why not pick up a solid PF through the draft. To back up Milsap. I think Milsap will be just as effective as Boozer, but needs more meat on that frame. There were many avaliable PF at the time. We have shooters, minus Korver. We need a presence in the Paint. There are still some FA out there we could snag. Lets Go Jazz, I want to Keep Deron. He is the best over all point gaurd out there. You Know This

• chilly
    July 8, 2010 4:20 p.m.

Sloan was overheard singing:

Oh goodbye booze
    Forever more
    My boozin' days will soon be o'er
    I had a good time, but we couldn't agree
    So you see what booze has done for me

Well he slammed my head
    He broke my heart
    So goodbye booze its time we part
    I had a good time
    But we couldn't agree
    So you see what booze has done for me

• Dog Fur
    July 8, 2010 4:36 p.m.

re: Chilly

• Dave from Taylorsville
    July 8, 2010 4:53 p.m.

OH OH OH - - - I KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE'LL USE BOTH TPEs AND A BIG LOAD OF CASH AND GET LABRON!!!!!!!!

YES YES YES - - - THAT WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!!!

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 4:57 p.m.

B Russ:

You are right, I was wrong. I apologize. You have not been a homer for Jerry, it was wrong sorry.

I like Admundson, I would be stunned if Phoenix would lose him having lost Amare. They came so far last year, the SUns have got to keep him

Far as Anthony Randolph, I discussed him last season JOE5

He would have been a good pickup. O Connor is probably getting ready to go to the first tee and dinner will be waiting

• Old Timer
    July 8, 2010 4:58 p.m.

Everything is turning out just like I have posted numerous times. A percentage of you negative dooms dayers need to shut your holes and let management manage. Your ranting and raving is falling on deaf ears and would not be considered anyway. Hows your own houses? Maybe some of you should take some time and clean up your own messes! Like I said yesterday we will be a fun and entertaining team this year and I'm pumped about the propects. "Charmin" A.K. will be the next one to exit or take a "big" pay cut, then we will really be on the right track. Chill fans and trust management! Quite frankly you don't have an option!

• The Great Houdini
    July 8, 2010 4:59 p.m.

Todd,the Jazz are at their best when AK is at his best,that said,I don`t care how it happens as long as Millsap and AK each get 35-40 minutes,the 3 spot we can fill in between Miles,Hayward,ak and Millsap,what`s gonna hurt the most again is not having the big rebounding defensive center,he wouldn`t need to score much.Okafor,Camby,somebody like that, and take it easy on us Sloanaholics

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 5:07 p.m.

In Orlando at the summer league just ended the jazz evened up theyr'e record at (2-2) Crushing New Joisey 91-74.

Well balanced. Koustos looked great in the post, traveled just once (5-8) 14 points, someone WHO MAYBE CAN HELP us D Leaguer Rob Benson (5-8) 12 points, Gordon Hayward (4-4) 18 minutes, 11 points. The good news is Sundiata Gaines much better than yesterday, 2 3s and a 2 scoring 8 of his 10 points in the 3rd quarter. Several players Jeffries, Rice (defense) and 2 great assists were good. Waters hit a pair of 3

The thing that made this more than just a summer league game was "DEFENSE" and it makes one wonder why the parent team cannot do this all the time. Scott Layden had the boys hustle. The Jazz had only 13 turnovers to Jersey's 19. The Jazz challenged passes, played close man to man defense. I am happy to report Gordon did well there too rotating well.

If something good comes from these games, and someone like Benson can step up and make team, it will be positive.

Final game 8 am tomorrow vs Philly

• chilly
    July 8, 2010 5:12 p.m.

"Where can we see the video performance of the booze song? Please get it on utube."

Unfortunately, Jerry's version hasn't made it to Youtube yet. If you google "old crow medicine show goodbye booze live" you can hear their version.

• Dr. Dunkenstein
    July 8, 2010 5:12 p.m.

I'm with Bugoff on this one (and Big_Ben; he is my wingman, after all). The the trade exceptions give the Jazz a lot of options as long as they don't do anything crazy.

Besides the possibilities already mentioned, maybe the Jazz trade Koufos & the Harpring TPE for Anderson Varejao or Charlie Villanueva . . . or maybe they trade the Brewer TPE & a future 1st round draft pick for Chris Wilcox . . . or maybe they trade the Brewer TPE, Koufos & a 2nd round draft pick for Zaza Pachulia . . .

These may not seem too likely (though they might start looking better to the respective teams come January or February), and there are lots of other possible scenarios (I didn't even touch the Boozer TPE); the point is that the Jazz could be in a lot better shape at the end of the season than it looks right now.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 5:41 p.m.

fine Houdini you I will listen to, all have a good night get Okafor and my negativity will cease heavily or someone similar

• Anonymous Infinity
    July 8, 2010 5:42 p.m.

To: Toddfromsantaana
    Who gives a hoot about the Jazz results in the Orlanda Summer League. Their roster down there is irrelevant in terms of help on the twenty ten/twenty eleven season. Okur is not even probable during the season, and we don't know about the other players such as Korver & Matthews, who by the way are not championship players. The Jazz are in the tank even if there could have retained Boozer. It will be Kobe & Company on a threepeat unless Labron James teams up with Bosch/Wade et al in MyMammy. They will deserve each other. The Jazz are finished as a playoff team unless the league goes totally CBA on some of the sixteen rosters who will become playoff teams next season. Let's start gearing up for bandwagon thought with the Utes and the PAC-10/12. The Jazz are a NICE TEAM that's all I can say. Whoever keeps living a lie and talking about a serious contender in Utah ought to check with a physician. Please get off Jerry Sloan and Jazz management. They can't be blamed for the state of the league. The NBA is all about major markets.

• toddfromsantaana
    July 8, 2010 5:58 p.m.

If it was anyone else other than me, you guys would praise a Summer League report I know that so there...

• huskerdeidaho
    July 8, 2010 5:59 p.m.

Seriously, now is the time for the Jazz to start a new chapter with a couple of opportunities I will state! 1. Nets will get nobody and won't know what to do! Their owner is russian! Andrei Kirlenko is a russian getting paid almost 17 mil next year with an expiring contract! If Kevin O'connor is good he can pull this off! Trade AK to the nets who have the space to consume his contract! If they could somehow sweeten the deal to the nets to get Derrick Favors that would be huge for the Jazz. The nets showed he isn't their biggest thrill to them, by already offering him for sign and trades for lebron or bosh or even boozer! AK is no longer a factor for the jazz!

2. The jazz need to use their accumulated trade exceptions to get Gortat from the Magic period! I'm telling you the guy is a stud and is very coordinated for a big! what he lacks in a jumper he makes up with defense and throw downs around the rim which is what the jazz desperately need to match the lakers!

• Boozerite
    July 8, 2010 6:29 p.m.

I drank Booz for the last 5 years til I was so drunk I couldn't see straight. Now he leaves us for a bunch of Bulls. Maybe I can enter Rehab and see clearly again. Oh yeah, I can see better already. We really only lost 2/3 of a player, since he was injured so often. Gnats and mosquitos are more effective on defence. You know we won't see him for 3 years because he'll fake an injury on the days he is supposed to play us. Yes, Yes I think I'm healed. The soft defensive Twinkie has left us and went to Chicago. Maybe there he can become a Ding Dong.

• Bugoff
    July 8, 2010 6:37 p.m.

It is not panic time. Over 6 years of games Boozer did not play in 1/3 of them. The Jazz managed to do okay.

Loosing Boozer is not the end of the Jazz.

The big problem. Actually opportunity is that Okur is out at the same time. If you replace Okur with somebody better, the Jazz will cope better than when
    Booze was hurt.

The Jazz do need to resign Korver or replace his shooting. They do need to get a back up PF like Amundsen/Mahimni etc. NOTE: back up not replacement or ideal PF of the future.

Another shooter and a back up PF are doable before the season starts. The biggest problem is the C.

Replacing Booz is not pressing other than he played C with Okur out.

The Sloan flex is versatile. It does not have to run thur the PF. It can have more outside shooting. It can run thur the SF.

If the Jazz have enough rebounding, defense and shooting they will do fine until the Jazz get the right C and PF. Then they can contend.

Give KOC 2 years to get the right players. It will be worth it.

• Jazzinator
    July 8, 2010 6:39 p.m.

Deng, Boozer left for a Rose. I think I shall faint, only to be revived with the Heinrich maneuver. You Noah what I mean? Signed...Gibbs Son.

• Veritas Aequitas
    July 8, 2010 7:34 p.m.

Des News doesn't have it yet. Lebron to Heat....

• hello people
    July 8, 2010 8:19 p.m.

Jazz would suck no matter what happens with this choice. They will never win a championship.

• Viva Los Jazz
    July 8, 2010 9:13 p.m.

I like this move since I thought the Jazz were going to end up with Deng who is another undersized player that can play the 3 or 4. Now we can get another player within the next year like AlJefferson or a decent big guy.

• financenco
    July 8, 2010 10:02 p.m.

Well, if you thought that he was going to stay, then I have a bridge to sell you. The only reason he was saying nice things about Utah, was so he didn't have to face the music like he did last year.
    So we might as well do what we can, and get someone that wants to be here. When we get a team, with players, that want to be here, we are pretty darn good. NOw all we need to do is place odds on when Boozer will get hurt this year. I say he will get hurt 20 games into it, and then get better with about 20 games to go.

• Bohonker
    July 8, 2010 11:46 p.m.

I predict that this is going to be a long season for Rose and Boozer in Chicago. They were banking on LeBron coming to the Bulls....

• AZBrabbit
    July 9, 2010 12:11 a.m.

My assumption of Todd is that he resides in the posh Costa Mesa area somewhere near Avenue of the Arts and only uses Santa Ana as a front to make him seem hard... I think it's Todd in Costa Mesa the bitter bitter Clipper fan who wishes his team the Sailboats had made the playoffs more than twice in the last two decades so I guess he is an imposter.

• pbpm
    July 9, 2010 12:15 a.m.

Is Roy Hibbert available? A big who can run the floor and play some D around the basket. Played a great game against us in Indiana this year and the kid is young and from what I have heard, is super person. Lots of UPSIDE with him!! KOC, get on this one for a change, find another 7'2" who would fit in and is young and defensive minded and can guard Gasol.....

• TAGZZ
    July 9, 2010 8:34 a.m.

We got rid of one cancerous tumor... Next is Jerry Sloan.... Please, Please, Please get rid of Jerry!! Send him to the Farm, Make him a spokesman for John Deere, but by all means please don't sign him to another year of coaching at the first of the season like last year!!

• John Wicks
    July 9, 2010 8:37 a.m.

It's time for KOC and Sloan to go. The Jazz will do nothing as usual. Get somebody competent in there Greg. Make your Dad proud. I wonder if KOC will help D-Will pack his bags in 2 years. Wake up Jazz.

• Vince
    July 9, 2010 8:54 a.m.

What scares me is that Sloan who is now backed into somewhat of a corner as too players available and talent will go on some of his famous foul mouthed rants and take what heart is left in Fess & KK. Try letting them play through a few mistakes just like your "big" boys make all the time Jerry. Corbin said a few days ago about instinct, and needing to have it when plays broke down. How long did it take Mathews, and was it over looked in his case? Sure it was, but he worked hard and made up for mistakes, but Fess & KK haven't had the same chance here!

• jammer2324
    July 9, 2010 8:56 a.m.

Here's some crazy thoughts, trade for al jefferson, resign matthews and korver. THen you can either keep korver or work a sign and trade for jj redick who is basically korver with better d and driving ability. Go pick up haslem as a backup for millsap or starter.
    Now here is thea crazy thought, you sign kwame brown or ike diogu or both. with what they made last year that's only 5 million combined. Look at diogu's last games last year when he got time, granted its gonna be against the second team but he has talent, and kwame is one that sloan may be able to get something out of. You sign either one to low short contracts so they don't hurt you if they flop. Then look at signing Al Harrington.

• jammer2324
    July 9, 2010 9:00 a.m.

• MT Fan
    July 9, 2010 9:19 a.m.

Great news for the Jazz. One less misguided ego to deal with. Life is dynamic and will move forward. One player does not make or break a team. When an opportunity exists someone will step up.

• dwillfan
    July 9, 2010 9:56 a.m.

man, the jazz are in a tough predicament...thanks to o'conner and NEED to bring someone in, and now, or risk losing dwill in a few years.

hey o'conner, why don't you bring ostertag out of retirement and pay him $200 mil for 2 years...sounds like something you'd do, you big dummy.

here's a roster they can try in the meantime, that might work.
    pg-dwill (a given)
    sg-matthews (brings a lot more intensity to the game. sub cj for relief)
    sm-millsap (another given)
    pf-okur (i think this will mess w/other's team defense. they'll have to come out to guard against his outside shooting. this also gives us a big body inside for defense)
    c-koufus (no one has given this dude a chance. he's only 22 but he's big, athletic and hustles a la millsap and dwill. he was sent to the d-league twice, performed amazing & brought back to the pro's. that messes w/a player's psyche, especially one as young as koufus)

drafting hayward, really?

...oh, yeah, o'conner's decision. dummy.

• Rick
    July 9, 2010 9:56 a.m.

Utah needs any tuff player with an attitude & plays with an edge.Just like Raja cloths-lined kobe in the playoffs 4 years ago & got into kobes head.Now kobe wants this tuff guy on his team.Same with Artest, Ron was in Kobes face in playoffs 2 years ago & kobe didn't like it.Kobe told management to get Ron on the Lakers & it happened this year.Barnes is that type of player too.Barnes got in Kobe's face in the game in Orlando this year.YOU CAN'T SHOW THIS PUNK KID KOBE ANY RESPECT.Barnes will knock kobe out if needed.Barnes will be in kobes face all game talking trash which kobe doesn't like...kobe is extremely coy.kobe pats players on their butts & makes believe he's their friends at tip-off, BARNES doesn't need any fake love from this oppossing player.Barnes knows his tricks..When kobe is fouled hard he cries to the refs & his game is thrown off.Problem is, not many players hit kobe in the face because they respect him TOO much....BARNES & RAJA will deck kobe..That's players Utah needs badly & and center !

• blauch
    July 9, 2010 10:08 a.m.

The Jazz will be fine without Boozer. First off Power Forwards best 3 scoring seasons (ppg) almost always come between the age of 25 and 28. By the age of 29 their ppg decrease by 2 and 6 points (An Average of 4ppg.

The following players averaged over 20 points a game: K. Malone, C. Barkley, C. Weber. T. Duncan, K. Garnett, G. Robinson, E Brand, J Oneal, Z Randoph, Abdur-Rahim, L. Johnson, J. Howard, A. McDyess, V. Baker, P. Gasol, J. Mashborn, A. Jaminson, D. Manning, A. Walker, and R. Lewis Everyone one of these players had their highest scoring average by the age of 28 years old. By 29 (Boozer Age) every player scoring average decressed by 1.8 points to 8.9 points per game. The only power forwards that did not fit this trend was Nowitzki, D. Manning and Kemp. They all had their highest ppg by 30. Boozer is most likely going to average 3 to 4 points less a games in 2 seasons from his highest scoring average - 21.1. Are the Jazz really going to pay someone 12 to 14 million for 17 points 10 rebound and no defense.

• blauch
    July 9, 2010 10:32 a.m.

The Real question is - are the Jazz worst without Boozer. Well considering the only thing I we have to go on how the Jazz fared without Boozer over the last 3 season.

The Jazz went 54 and 28 games in 2007/08 when Boozer was healthy,
    The Jazz went 48 and 34 games in 2008/09 when Boozer was not healthy,
    The Jazz went 54 and 28 games in 2009/10 when Boozer was healthy

But in reality the 45 games the Jazz played in the 2008/09 season without Boozer they won 26 and 19 the exact percentage as the 37 games they played with Boozer.

That means there was another factor in why the Jazz were much worst that year. Namely they benched AK for Miles (who at the time was awful). Now the last few months Miles has played better.

07/08 AK started - the Jazz won 54 games
    08/09 AK was benched the Jazz won 48 games
    09/10 AK Started most of the games he played the Jazz won 54 games.

Start AK - hopefully he is healthy the Jazz will win.

• The Great Houdini
    July 9, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Gortat or Kwame Brown?????....you guys are killing me,why not pull Sam Bowie out of retirement

• netmaster
    July 9, 2010 11:14 a.m.

B Russ seems to know his stuff. Boozer made so many defensive errors, usually failing to help his teammates, that it almost counteracted his 20 and 10 on offense. The guy improved considerably during his last season, but then he regressed during the big games, probably for a fear of fouling out. A friend and I used to watch every game on DVR, and we would rewind every play when the opponent got a layup. About two-thirds of the time Boozer was at fault, usually indirectly for failing to show, failing to leave his man, failing to commit, failing to trust his team mates, failing to think. The Jazz weren't ever going to win the Western Conference with Boozer as the weak link on defense. Don't be surprised if O'Connor goes for a good defender and barely adequate offensive player to replace Boozer. That's what the Jazz need, not 20 and 10. If Boozer continues to improve, he'll burn Utah in the future, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. That Utah got anything at all for an unrestricted free agent is a miracle. And an exemption is better than nothing.

• oldschool
    July 9, 2010 11:33 a.m.

Can some of you Sloan and O'Connor bashers name for me the great centers who are available? Please do not list anybody who is considered to be among the top 15 centers in the league because they won't be available. Their teams won't be letting them go because they are such valuable commodities. Also, please do not include in the list any of the top 10 promising up-and-comers whose teams refuse to let them go. Again, these young talents with great potential are so rare that a team with one won't let him go. So cross 25 centers off your list and give me one or two you would like. By the way, you don't have much to spend because even without the Booze the Jazz aren't far from salary cap. I'm waiting for your list.

• Old Port
    July 9, 2010 12:39 p.m.

It never ceases to amaze me at the comments on here about how incompetent the Jazz brass are at running the team, like it is so simple to manage....

• TAGZZ
    July 9, 2010 12:44 p.m.

Old School,

We were going to bring Manut Bol out of retirement but he kicked the bucket last week...

• Portland Trail Blazers
    July 9, 2010 2:31 p.m.

Utah, where?

• toddfromsantaana
    July 9, 2010 2:50 p.m.

AZ BRABBITT

Right AZ...I lived within 1 mile of SOuth COast in dumpy apartments. I have since moved to Garden Grove but I am too lazy to change id---by the way can you help get me the team I want reprsenting the Jazz?

I figured you had insight into Kevin mind why day after day goes by with no move

Have fun

• fedup
    July 9, 2010 4:07 p.m.

See Ya! don't let the door hit you on the way out!

• awsomeron
    July 12, 2010 6:13 p.m.

In short 2011 Season S--ks on Ice. I hear Spud Webb is looking to make a come back.

• awsomeron
    July 12, 2010 6:19 p.m.

Why! Does someone get $75 Million to Play Basketball?

i can't afford tickets now, even to the CBA, Hawaii has a Developmental League Team. Plays In A Gym somewhere in Honolulu. Gets No Press. Like the winter league Baseball Team. Only difference is the Baseball Team is seen in Japan on Cable, and although I don't go, I know where the Ballpark is.

I would have gone, having nothing against goingg, but the games where on days I had other things to do, like Wash my Car.