Utah Jazz: 'Calculated risk,' analyst says

Comments

• Wookie
    June 25, 2010 7:20 a.m.

All I can say is Kevin and Walt need to listen to the fans a little more often since they are the people who will be filling the seats. I hope he pans out.

• Big R
    June 25, 2010 8:34 a.m.

The absolute worse thing "Kevin and Walt" could do would be to listen to the fans. They didn't like Stockton when he was picked, they didn't like Malone. They don't realize how difficult it is to build a winning team. They think all of the NBA players want to come to Utah and they think they should be beating the Lakers. Be happy that you have good teams and that you get some very good picks at spots where you could have gotten guys who didn't pan out. For every bad pick there is at least one very good pick. Join us in reality!

• GUTPYLZ
    June 25, 2010 10:10 a.m.

I'm with you "Big R". The fans here think they know it all. The coaching staff eats, drink and sleep basketball. I'm excited about Hayward, not to mention he is ONLY 20 and still probably has some more maturing to do. I think we have a winner!

• Not So Fast
    June 25, 2010 10:24 a.m.

Listen to fans more often? Fans are free to talk and boo and do whatever else they wish to do, but managers who listen to fans are doomed to failure. They have scouts, coaches and lots of data in place to help them reach a decision. Listening to folks who have very little idea about the game is a horrible way to decide anything.

• rvalens2
    June 25, 2010 11:26 a.m.

I predict Hayward will become a very good player for the Jazz. Unfortunately, they really needed an interior guy to help them out.

Hopefully, the Jazz can pull off a trade or acquire a needed piece to their puzzle in free agency.

If not ... I guess there's always the D-League and undrafted players they can bring in.

• Confused
    June 25, 2010 11:27 a.m.

Well,
    the Jazz brass will not listen to the fans, so I made a call today and cancelled my season tickets...

They will listen to the fans when they stop showing up to watch a medicore team that does well during the season but is horrible (around 50 winning percentage) in playoffs. why? lack of height...

KOC should dropped kicked out of Utah

• Bear6
    June 25, 2010 11:52 a.m.

Confused,
    Thank you for cancelling your season tickets. The one thing I hate is listening to so called fans at the game screaming about things they have no idea about. If we get the REAL Jazz Fans to the game, it will be more pleasant to watch. Hayward is a good pick and will fit in well with this team. Give him a chance.

• BWT
    June 25, 2010 12:32 p.m.

I also believe that Hayward will fit very well with the Jazz. I like Korver, when he was trade to the Jazz, he brought in excitement from the fans, he also spreads the floor out. The problem that I have is that he cannot dribble & does not create shots or passes very well. From what I hear & from videos that I seen, Hayward can do all of these, and I can't wait to find out what he can do.
    Go Jazz!

• matjazz
    June 25, 2010 12:55 p.m.

we need some help under the basket...KK and Fez will never be able to help against players such as Gasol...so drafting this guy Hayward ain`t gonna help! I just hope he learns how to shoot the ball...he`s still young, so I`m praying that this isn`t going to be another Padgett...

• The Final Word
    June 25, 2010 12:55 p.m.

re: confused

I agree you are confused...

"They will listen to the fans when they stop showing up to watch a MEDIOCRE TEAM......"

Clearly your confusion extends to being able to count because the Jazz finished with 4 less regular season wins than the NBA Champion Lakers!!

Yoo hoo, "Mediocre teams" don't win 53 games.

Who did the other 29 teams get beat by? Oh ya that would be essentially the only team we could not have beaten in the post season. I guess the other 29 teams have a "lack of height" issue too huh

Yes, we all agree YOU would definitely fit the description "CONFUSED" by any measure of basketball analysis.

Of course the Jazz needed height and they would have loved to get it but you take the best talent available and if you think a 53 win team is a mediocre team then you would not know talent if it drove over you.

I'm sure someone else will enjoy your Jazz seats (if you actually even have seats/season tickets).

• Jazz Source
    June 25, 2010 1:03 p.m.

To all the bashers.

We will be looking forward to you know adding Chad Ford ESPN NBA Professional Analyst receiving your wrath as well.

Just another person/NBA Professional to add to your list who does not know what they are talking about.

You though clealy have better NBA knowledge than all these guys who do it full time. No doubt.

At least wait and see how the dude pans out before you make your assessments. Then bash away if Hayward is a bust.

Deron Williams was one of the main guys who carried his team to the NCAA championship game. Hayward was too. I don't think anybody thinks he is Deron Williams but Hayward got the job done and clearly knows how to win games and on a big stage to boot.

I don't think those credentials should so easily be dismissed.

Every is bummed there was not some giant guaranteed BIG to solve all the Jazz problems.

The reality is though is that there was VAST disparity and very little consensus here on these boards exactly which BIG was "the guy". Everyone had varying opinions which just further proves the point. There was no obvious pick.

• Jazz Cop
    June 25, 2010 1:27 p.m.

After sleeping on it, I'm not as dissapointed, it's going to take some time to see how he fits in, but if he fails, at least it won't be because of what he has between his ears.

• Boise Bill
    June 25, 2010 1:53 p.m.

They don't really need to include the fans in their decision. However, I really hope Kevin called DWill before he made that pick. Getting DWill involved in decision making will help keep him around. If the Jazz don't treat him like a franchise player, he won't act like a franchise player. He'll be on the first flight out of Utah as soon as his contract is up.

• True Blue
    June 25, 2010 1:56 p.m.

Now that we have Hayward to help us out at the SF spot, lets sign Brendon Haywood to give us some shot-blocking.

• True Blue
    June 25, 2010 2:04 p.m.

I think one of the big reasons everyone is booing is because he looks like he's 12 when all the other 19-20 yr-olds looked like they were 25. I think if we can get over that and realize that he is 6'8 and can still add some weight to his frame, we can sit back and watch him prove us all wrong.

• Y Ask Y
    June 25, 2010 2:15 p.m.

Do any of you remember how skinny Karl Malone looked when we first got him?

• Fuzzbrain
    June 25, 2010 2:59 p.m.

There was so much anticipation about the Jazz having the 9th pick, drafting Hayward was kind of like the squeak of air being let out of a balloon. He'll be a decent player but the Jazz are at the crossroads of becoming a better team or lapsing behind all their competitors. You don't have to be an overpaid coach or an NBA analyst to realize that.

• Draft dumbie
    June 25, 2010 3:08 p.m.

It seems the Jazz put alot of stock in Hayward's NCAA tournament performance. Otherwise, a player of Hayward's size, skills and athleticism would have been a late second round choice at best. Historically, most teams who have drafted an "NCAA tournament wonder" have wasted their pick.

It always concerns me when the best thing the NBA scouts and commentators can say about a player is that he is "gritty," "has heart" and has "good basketball sense." To me that means "he has no talent or athleticism."

It is not surprising that Cougar fans seem to like Hayward--he reminds me alot of former 1980's Cougar star, Devin Durrant. Durrant was drafted by Indiana, and never lasted for more than a couple of years in the NBA, because he was not strong enough or quick enough to compete with NBA SGs and SFs.

It does not make sense to draft a player as a 9th pick based on potential, if at best that player can be only a back up SG or SF.

I cannot imagine anyone in the NBA contacting the Jazz to propose a trade for Hayward--even at a salary of $2 mil per year.

• Draft dumbie
    June 25, 2010 3:22 p.m.

It appears the Jazz put too much stock in Hayward's NCAA tournament performance. Otherwise, a player of Hayward's size, athleticism and skills would have been lucky to be drafted late in the second round. Most teams who draft an "NCAA tournament wonder" have wasted their pick.

It concerns me when the best things talent evaluators can say about a player is he is "gritty," "has heart" and "has good basketball sense." I interpret that to mean "he has no talent or athleticism."

It is not surprising that BYU fans seem to like Hayward. He reminds me of 1980's Cougar star Devin Durrant. Durrant was drafted by Indiana, but lasted in the NBA only a couple of years, because he was too weak and slow to compete with NBA SGs and SFs.

It makes no sense to draft a player--at the 9th pick--based on potential, if the only potential of that player is to be a backup SG/SF.

I can't imagine any team contacting the Jazz to try to trade for Hayward, even at a salary of $2 mil/year. At least someone like Patrick Patterson would have trade value. Wasted pick!

• ExAFvet
    June 25, 2010 3:56 p.m.

RE: The Final Word

"Who did the Jazz get beat by in the playoffs? Oh ya, that would be the NBA champs!"

They are also the same team that has eliminated the Jazz the last few years. It is because the Jazz have no answer for Gasol, Bynum and Odom. As of now, they still don't.

"Yoo hoo, "Mediocre teams" don't win 53 games."

53 wins seasons = 10-3 and a vegas bowl appearance. Might be satisfactory for you, but I would have hoped the Jazz would have gone to the next level by now.

Hayward doesn't fill a need and he wasn't the best player available. The Jazz just took the bait and fell for the hype. The draft doesn't bring a guarantee but I wished the Jazz would have taken a chance on Davis, Henry, Babbit or Patterson. The only need Hayward fills is to replace Korver on the "Win a dinner with Kyle Korver" promotion.

• GreyWolf
    June 25, 2010 4:54 p.m.

I for one find it strange that people want another big man with Koufos and Fesenko. Do we really need someone else at that position that may never be more than a backup?

• Confused
    June 25, 2010 5:21 p.m.

Final word,
    You must have a reading comprehension problem.

If you read what I wrote, I said they did well in the Regular season (winning about 75-80% of games) but happens in the Playoff where it really counts? They are around 40-50% winning percentage.

Add to that what ExAFVet said you get medicore. The Jazz needs a defensive center to counter the lakers, celtics, etc. What they don't need is another small forward.

Then you add in that they traded their best back up point guard last year and kept price (who is a best a joke).

You get medicore.

I have been a fan of the Jazz since 1979, I have tried to support the team, but when they keep making Stupid mistakes, well it time to move on to more important things like watching the grass grow.

• Fredd
    June 25, 2010 5:23 p.m.

No big men left were any better then Fez or KK. We have Okur, Milsap, Fez, KK, AK, and maybe Boozer. That's six big bodies. Add Tomic and there are seven. Pick up a free agent like Heywood or Dampier. Maybe trade for Al Jefferson? At PG we have DWill/Price, wings Wes/Miles, AK (?), maybe Korver. If Korver leaves and that's what I've been readin is going to happen, we could use another wing. Am I missing anyone? KK/Fes should have breakout years if they're ever going to.

• Jazzsmack
    June 25, 2010 9:14 p.m.

RE: Big R | 8:34 a.m

As good stockton malone, but only in thier respective postions,

they did NOT win UTah any championships,

not in 16 years of trying,
    not with the league down
    not even with jordon out of the league,

ergo, the FANs were right.

while were they very good positional players who benefited greatly from the system,

they were not the type players that win championships.

The fans were right,

and they are right again.

andthey always be have always been, a good solid team,

bu a NEVER the chamion,

because they are unwilling to take the risks necessary to win championships.

the fact that the jazz can not trade their players for anything other than equal junk,

shows the true value of the jazz players,

and HOW much the Jazz over value their own players.

• louisiana jazz man
    June 25, 2010 9:14 p.m.

they might get paid to know baskett ball. but i really think they dont know that much. i belive all the bloggers all year knew more than the coach all i read all year was get fes and kufus more playing time we would need them against the lakers. sure enough we did and sure enough they dident get any playing time so wasent ready not there fault caint expect players to sit all year then come in against the best and be productive. i suspect they will be right on hayward. probly 55 pick will be better than him. i never seen milsaps brother play but i would put good money that he is better than either of them

• GreyWolf
    June 25, 2010 11:11 p.m.

Re: Jazzsmack

Yes, of course you are right, sort of. The best players in the game don't win titles, at least not on their own. It takes a solid supporting cast and coaching. Even with that, you still can only hope that one or more of those elements isn't just a little bit better in one of your opponents.

I can't say that I blame the Jazz for not doing everything that the fans want them to. Most of the fans don't have a clue about running even a small business, much less a multi-million dollar NBA franchise. If the Jazz do win a championship, it will be because they worked hard to put all the pieces together, not because they took a poll to see what the fans wanted them to do.

• Riot Man
    June 26, 2010 8:12 p.m.

OK, I'm not sold on Hayward. I think it was a bad pick, BUT lets assume that we can FF 5 years, and that he was indeed the correct pick. I still have a HUGE problem with this. There is NO way he was not going to be available at 15 or so. The Jazz should have traded down, picked up an extra pick (which they desperately need to fill the roster out) and they would have still gotten their man, and paid him less. If they didn't want another pick in this draft, they could have easily spun THAT pick, for a future protected 1st round pick from someone else trying to get into the draft, and added to the collection of trade bait.

Yes I think it was a bad pick, but even if it wasn't, the draft management was AWFUL and it's no wonder the Jazz keep stinking it up the last 30 years if that's how they run things. Awful.