Utah Jazz take Butler's Gordon Hayward

Team uses No. 9 pick on versatile swingman

Comments

• toddfromsantaana
    June 24, 2010 6:32 p.m.

Mostly a one dimensional player a shooter, they fell in love with the hype and an all american boy

should have drafted Jack Armstrong

Very questionable

told you sooooooooooooooooooooo

• LKA
    June 24, 2010 6:34 p.m.

Get ready for a lot of mad people. We will see what happens in a few years..

• Bugoff
    June 24, 2010 6:35 p.m.

The Jazz could have traded down and still gotten Hayward. I liked Babbit and Henry better. I think they were safer picks.

Hope the Jazz get another pick later in the 1st. Hayward is a project who can't shoot. The jury is still out but he is not great at defense, he is not a great shooter, he is very good at intangibles.

This pattern of "character first" as the Jazz define it has killed the Jazz for several drafts. They could have got a lot more talent with this pick and still got good character.

• UteMonster101
    June 24, 2010 6:36 p.m.

Well the Jazz screwed it up again. He'll be traded by the end of the 2010-11 season. What were they even thinking?!

• toddfromsantaana
    June 24, 2010 6:37 p.m.

hee hee hee

read Chuck Nunn if you do not believe me

How do you like O Connor now

SLOANAHOLICS

This will have the Lakers "shaking"

• Twardy
    June 24, 2010 6:39 p.m.

Really? Good shooter? Look at his 3-point percentage...under 30%. I hope they saw something in him that nobody else can see at this time. Looks like AK - skinny. Hope he will work out at 2 - too weak for small forward. At least he can handle the rock a little.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz
    June 24, 2010 6:40 p.m.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

He couldn't shoot 30% from the 3pt line in college. So if the drafted him as a shooter they're dumb!

Udoh and Monroe were gone but if he is supposed to replace Korver good luck! WHY NOT A SHOT BLOCKER!!!

• Ak Fan
    June 24, 2010 6:41 p.m.

Aldrch was good one.Pochke?

• djntz2001
    June 24, 2010 6:41 p.m.

I HOPE that Kevin O'Connor get's fired! He is the biggest joke of a GM I've ever seen! Please FIRE him!

• WIRMY
    June 24, 2010 6:42 p.m.

Seriously?!!! Did the Jazz admin not know that Patterson and Aldrich were still available? When are they going to learn how to draft good players?!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz
    June 24, 2010 6:42 p.m.

boo!

The kid couldn't even shoot 30% from the 3pt line in college! I find that disappointing. If he is supposed to replace Korver good luck with that.

I wanted a shot blocker. Can't win without the D.

• THEeyepatch
    June 24, 2010 6:43 p.m.

Go Jazz!???

• Cougfan87
    June 24, 2010 6:43 p.m.

What a disapointment.....

• BillM75
    June 24, 2010 6:44 p.m.

way way way too high for hayward. and he's slow weak and can't shoot. 29% from treys last year. nice message to send to matthews as well.

I guess they needed another good "fit" for the community. DWill just threw his remote through the screen, and then sent a text to Kobe "See you in two years"

• toddfromsantaana
    June 24, 2010 6:44 p.m.

blauch and Doug are celebrating and toasting our future

go get em kids

• SG Man
    June 24, 2010 6:45 p.m.

Not a good pick in my opinion for a 9th. I think D-Will is not too happy and probably done with Jazz when he can opt out. I hope I am wrong though. How does he make us an more athletic, taller, or better on Defense? He doesn't.

• the Mailman
    June 24, 2010 6:48 p.m.

Haha another brilliant first round pick from the Jazz!!

What do you think they see in this guy? I think i know, and it has more to do than just his basketball skills.

Gotta keep the home town fans happy hey..

• Bohonker
    June 24, 2010 6:48 p.m.

What did I tell everyone in an earlier post of mine? Well they ended up taking Hayward like I said they would and wasted the #9 pick....I'd assume that with this pick it means that Korver won't be re-signed.

• Noah's Lark
    June 24, 2010 6:50 p.m.

I think Heyward will surprise people. But, I expect a trade in the works involving one of our wingmen.

• Wombat1247
    June 24, 2010 6:50 p.m.

This is a disgrace , Davis, Babbitt, Patterson, George , Henry would've been mych better picks.
    Say bye to DWill in 2 years, if the Jazz mangement don't make some serious trades in the next few weeks.
    Another P--off jazz fan

• Brave Sir Robin
    June 24, 2010 6:50 p.m.

As a non-Jazz fan, all I've got to say is,

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Is it the 11th commandment that the Jazz are required to draft a big, slow white guy in the first round?

• byebyeDWill
    June 24, 2010 6:50 p.m.

Bye bye DWill and bye to my season tickets! I waited anxiously for six years...for the worse pick in the history of the draft. When did we hire Isaiah Thomas? Kevin O'Connor makes him look brilliant. There is one reason and one reason only the Jazz picked Hayward over Davis, Patterson, George, Henry etc. Unfortunately, Jazz management still cares more about race than talent!

• Wombat1247
    June 24, 2010 6:52 p.m.

Sack O'Connor

• Max-was-right
    June 24, 2010 6:59 p.m.

What a bunch of clowns all these fans are. Go back and look at all the great picks by the jazz that you morons booed at. I think you're all the same person that has ran out of their meds...

I believe that all of you booed malone when he was drafted?

• Bugoff
    June 24, 2010 7:01 p.m.

Hayward is NOT a replacement for Korver!. He is a gamer, he may be a good player in a couple of years. He may be able to play D to some degree. He may eventually be a replacement for CJ. He may rebound better. He is very smart and a team player.

His strength is his intangibles.

I was not thrilled with Aldrich. Davis is also a project. Patterson could have contributed sooner.

This raises questions about who stays and goes for the Jazz. Henry was not picked so Mathews will get resigned.

The Jazz did not go big. That suggests Fes/Koufos are the C for now. Boozer may be going or staying but if Boozer stays Korver goes. Babbit could have replaced Korver but Hayward won't anytime soon.

The Jazz may make a trade later to get talent. Time will tell how good this pick was. Hayward is going to need a couple of years to really help.

• gcp52
    June 24, 2010 7:01 p.m.

WOW! this was a bit of a surprise. I want to believe that Jazz management has some sort of trade up their sleeves with this kid or with another one of our 3's for a center. Unless we pick up a 4 or a 5 in free agency we are really going to be hurting.

• UtahRoper
    June 24, 2010 7:02 p.m.

I have a theory. Sloan loves defense, the Jazz, over the past few years, have selected anything but a defensive player. PERHAPS, the powers to be are undermining the coach in hopes he'll retire and go farming. Just a thought!

• Chuck Nunn
    June 24, 2010 7:02 p.m.

You're about to lose Carlos Boozer, and you draft a replacement for Kyle Korver? I'm sure I'll fall in line eventually, but really, all these good big men and Utah drafts another wing player? Oh well ...

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• Old Timer
    June 24, 2010 7:05 p.m.

Calm down fans, and just see if a draft trade isn't in the works!

• adriandantley
    June 24, 2010 7:07 p.m.

'Nough said - "Kansas’ Cole Aldrich and Xavier Henry, Nevada’s Luke Babbitt, North Carolina’s Ed Davis, Fresno State’s Paul George and Kentucky’s Patrick Patterson were still on the board when the Jazz picked."

• ExAFvet
    June 24, 2010 7:08 p.m.

Bye bye Dwill, I won't blame you if you decided to leave.

• Bugoff
    June 24, 2010 7:08 p.m.

This pick had nothing to do with Race. It had every thing to do with the way Hayward plays the game (intensely, smartly and within a team framework).

He has skill. However, he was not the most talented player at 9. It was the intangibles that got him the pick. He simply fits the Jazz biases to well.

Those biases keep them picking players who do not have enough talent. The so called character or intangibles can't offset the lack of overall talent.

This will probably work out better than expected but it is totally consistent with the Jazz biases.

• byronbca
    June 24, 2010 7:09 p.m.

I really like KOC, I thought what he was able to do last year was brilliant, but I really hate this pick. I hope I’ll be eating my words in a few months, but right now I feel a little sick.

• hedgehog
    June 24, 2010 7:09 p.m.

looks like a BYU recruite.

Not good.

• Idahoan
    June 24, 2010 7:12 p.m.

PLEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASE Tell me there is a trade in the works with this pick!!!

• Idahoan
    June 24, 2010 7:12 p.m.

There has to be a trade in the works!!!

• Doug10
    June 24, 2010 7:15 p.m.

Chicken littles are alive and well in Utah. These are the same old voices that maintained the Jazz would not even make the playoffs.

These same people stood by and watched Sloan get more from the team than they thought possible. Now with all their insight they are selling the team and KOC down the river...again.

Great news for Jazz as this means that another team now gets to pay Korver to sit on the bench and remain defenseless.

This guy can move with or without the ball has played in the NCAA playoffs at the highest level and will contribute immediately to the team.

Jazz dodged a bullet by not drafting Aldrich who is 6'8" out of his shoes and 6'11" with his shoes on, not sure how that math works but we did not want or need his awkward person on our team.

Just ask Todd or Chuck we have Fes to stop anyone in the key. The Jazz have obviously listened to these insightful people and are no longer worrying about a big man.

I for one am glad we have KOC and Sloan guiding this ship.

• Large Tuna
    June 24, 2010 7:15 p.m.

a draft trade better be in the works or the jazz just lost a LOT of season ticket holders. total fail pick! patterson AND aldrich were still on the board, are you kidding me?!!?

• UTAH MAN AM I
    June 24, 2010 7:19 p.m.

Stop me if you've heard this one. Jass draft unathletic white guy instead of filling an actual need. Anyone? Anyone? What a waste of a pick.

• RockOn
    June 24, 2010 7:21 p.m.

In that most Jazz fans are whining boobs by the nearly illiterate comments so far, then I suspect O'Connor must be a genius and Hayward a brilliant pick.

• Fuzz
    June 24, 2010 7:21 p.m.

If a 3 is what you wanted, shoulda picked Babbitt.
    Very confused.

• fill
    June 24, 2010 7:22 p.m.

Bugoff said it well
    "His strength is his intangibles."

There was something about his game at the NCAA tournament that showed me that he was the reason that Butler got that far. I admit I was disapointed at the end when I expected him to do more.

But I was also disapointed when Deron didn't lead the Illini to victory in the last game a few years ago.

There is somthing to be said for being the star on a team that makes it to the finals--maybe you a proven winner

• RichardBentley
    June 24, 2010 7:25 p.m.

Who would bother trading for him?? This shows a complete lack of creativity and willingness to take a chance to get what the Jazz needed: a low post presence. This also blows up the Jazz. Who would stick around with a team that insists on having a big white stiff at center? This was their shot at keeping the team together and being able to take the last step in the playoffs. They blew it. Next time they pick high, it will be because they are 21-61.

• Nevada fan
    June 24, 2010 7:27 p.m.

how does this make this team better? How does this make this team compete with the lakers?

• BillM75
    June 24, 2010 7:27 p.m.

Babbitt is bigger, stronger, faster and a better shooter of FGs, treys and FTs, and is still a high-character, "intangibles" white guy. Unreal. At least Aldrich is better than Fes or Koof, Hayward is nowhere close to any of our 2s & 3s. Another guy Kobe won't have to guard.

Way too high to pick him, hopefully a trade is coming. Oh and Babbitt is now a Blazer, should be easy to compare the two.

• Chuck Nunn
    June 24, 2010 7:28 p.m.

Well, Doug, since you decided to reference me, I'll say this: We DO have Fesenko to play in the paint, but we're going to lose Boozer barring a miracle, and someone needs to back up Paul Millsap, seeing that Okur is going to likely miss the start of the season. Utah could have gotten a good PF into the pipeline, and there were plenty to choose from. Heyward can play, and it's not the end of the world, but this was an opportunity missed to get a good PF out of the draft. Free agency? With no cap room to speak of, the outlook isn't great.

• scalman
    June 24, 2010 7:28 p.m.

Guess most of you guys didn't watch the NCAA tournament. Hayward was all-around great during Butler's run. He's a little slow laterally, but he runs the court well, sees it well, passes great, fakes great, has amazing body control, and shoots inside the 3-pt arc better than anyone drafted in front of him in this draft. He is also an excellent offensive rebounder. This guy is real savvy...Duke was all over him in the final and he still played well. I saw him once chase a ball destined for out of bounds, stopped on a dime, whirled and passed to a teammate. This guy is more athletic than Korver and will be a solid all-around player for the Jazz. That said, Davis would have been a good pick, too.

• Jazzsmack
    June 24, 2010 7:30 p.m.

This draft only makes sense, under 1 of 2 situations,

1. The jazz do not care about winning championships just seasons

or

2. this is a prelude to something else,

cj miles or ak or both will be traded,
    the jazz will be signing bosh,

who knows,

hayward may turn out to very good,

but one thing for sure is if you want win a championship he is NOT the piece you must have,
    perhaps a supportng piece,
    but not the player you need.

• Bear6
    June 24, 2010 7:30 p.m.

Why not Hayward? Just because he played for a smaller college and was not on TV every weekend. So what? This player brings things that the others do not. I think that the Jazz front office are looking at free agency to strenghten the inside game. With AK limping to the end of this career they have some time to build Hayward into a quality player. Give the young man a chance.

Oh, I would like to thank all of you that are going to cancel your season tickets. It will make it easier for REAL JAZZ FANS to enjoy this season.

• UTAH MAN AM I
    June 24, 2010 7:40 p.m.

Portland just announced they are firing Kevin Pritchard, their GM. Pick him up and dump O'Connor!!! Portland always drafted and traded well. Pritchard is a great GM!

• Live-In-AZ
    June 24, 2010 7:42 p.m.

Patterson should have been the pick with his NBA ready body. Here we go again. I just don't understand why we needed another wing player and a skinny one at that. KOC, I'm booing now and in 2 years.

• gcp52
    June 24, 2010 7:42 p.m.

This pick sounds kind of like what the Denver Broncos did with Tebow. Sure Hayward might not have all of the skills that you would like to have at the 3 spot (right now) but his intangibles is what the Jazz truly wanted.

Ok, so we have D-Will at PG, Matthews at SG, Miles at the 3 with Hayward coming off the bench at the 3, AK and/or Millsap at the 4, and maybe we pick up a center in the free agent market??

• JazzFanSD
    June 24, 2010 7:43 p.m.

Truthfully at #9 would anyone have been happy with Aldrich? a soft Ed Davis? Truthfully I was hoping for X. Henry but Heyward may be alright. Jazz may be thinking they drafted the next Hornacek. (Hopefully shot materializes)The biggest problem is the Knicks. They weren't bad enough. Jazz had the 9th pick in a 6 or 7 player draft. Hopefully the Jazz tried to trade up...and were unsuccessful, and made the best of the #9 pick. I wouldn't have felt any better with Babbitt or Aldrich or Davis. At least they picked a winner and gritty player, Jazz type of guy. He does seem to duplicate Miles though. Hopefully the Jazz have a plan to get bigger...Finally to all you clowns who bash O'Conner (Who is very well respected league wide, in fact was called a top 5 GM in the league by Chad Ford today) who would you have picked? Whoever it was you would have been certain to complain about it.

• Captain L
    June 24, 2010 7:45 p.m.

To me Hayward could have been drafted between 15 to 20 or later. We could have traded our #9 and picked up two picks and drafted Hayward and another player to help us out. This is hard to swallow, hard to understand, it could mean the Jazz will try to resign Boozer, I don't think that would be good business but with this pick I can't begin to understand how the Jazz management think.
    I guess the next thing to look forward to is bringing Tomic over in 2011. Maybe he will be able to address our lack of length. Also I have to believe that the Jazz must be planning on Fes and KK being able to improve and contribute significantly.
    Last years draft was disapointing to me also, but we don't get in the lottery very often and to me this was a major disapointment. I'll give him a chance but I'm not that impressed with what I see.

• Fuzz
    June 24, 2010 7:48 p.m.

If Boozer leaves, AK will move to 4. That prospect actually has me excited.
    Still shoulda picked Babbitt if a 3 is what you wanted.

• Fuzz
    June 24, 2010 7:50 p.m.

Pritchard is the reason we are overpaying Millsap.

• mulrich
    June 24, 2010 7:50 p.m.

Maybe the jazz forgot they had a lottery pick.

I hope I'm proven wrong. And I hope we have something else planned.

• Chuck Nunn
    June 24, 2010 7:58 p.m.

Ed Davis soft? Please.

However, there's not a lot of good in lamenting over what won't be. Maybe the Jazz are going to pick a solid big with their second round pick. I hope so, although Alexy Shved would be great too: Russian Magic.

• Jack Bauer
    June 24, 2010 8:00 p.m.

get of your pipe....Hayward ain't no Larry Bird!!! another draft pick wasted. This guy will just be another bench warmer, mark my words Jazz fans!!!

• utduck
    June 24, 2010 8:01 p.m.

I like this pick. We had the #9 pick and he was the best player available. If we had not chosen him Indiana would have chosen him at #10. It is not like we had a top 5 pick. I think he is smart and will fit the jazz system.

• Bugoff
    June 24, 2010 8:03 p.m.

This pick has Sloan written all over it. KOC had been picking better defenders. Hayward may improve his lateral movement. I am sure he will work hard. I am not sure he is an AK replacement in 2 years. AK is probably a better defender.

KOC compared Hayward to Stockton. Time will tell. All of the Jazz brass loved Hayward. There were other teams that liked him but they did not have the 9th pick.

Hayward's outside shooting is my big worry. He shot 44% 3s his freshman year. He got stiff defense this year and dropped to 29%.

The Jazz still have a hole at back up PF (assuming Boozer is gone) and a crater at C. They must have a plan for filling both of those. They probably did not feel they could get the right players at those positions.

I was not thrilled with any of the PFs or the Cs the Jazz could get. Henry will probably be good but Mathews is currently better. Babbit has his own weaknesses. Davis/Patterson were okay.

Lets see what the Jazz do about C/PF. The draft was not going to fix those problems immediately

• FloridaJazzFan
    June 24, 2010 8:05 p.m.

Overtime, Hayward will get his shot back and will shoot light out.

"Pacers president Larry Bird and coach Jim O'Brien were among those giving Hayward his last pre-NBA draft examine Monday afternoon. In the final minutes he hit 21-of-30 three-point attempts from a variety of spots at the Conseco Fieldhouse practice court."

Hayward would not get pass Indiana at 10th as they really see his potential.

This kid is multi-dimensional. Can handle the ball, pass well (get his teammate better), high BBall IQ. This kid reminds me of Detlef Schrempf; very competitive.

I am not surprised that Hayward will help the Jazz immediately next year already and be the steal of the draft.

• Captain L
    June 24, 2010 8:06 p.m.

I would love it if the Jazz could get Shved in the 2nd round.

• Old Navy
    June 24, 2010 8:06 p.m.

I like this pick. Hayward brings a lot to the table and will be a good fit in Utah.

• fill
    June 24, 2010 8:13 p.m.

This just in from ESPN "Hayward's pretty good at moving laterally and possesses a certain bounce in his jump most players don't have. In the pre-draft combine Hayward showed off that bounce with a 30.5-inch no-step vertical jump, which bested the likes of Evan Turner and John Wall. "

I hate when we keep drafting non-athletic players

• stanfunky
    June 24, 2010 8:15 p.m.

There had BETTER be a trade or two in the works. This is the most underwhelming draft pick since Jose Ortiz. Jazz pick a slow, white swingman without outside range. If they're looking for another Matt Harpring, they've screwed up. Harp was a tough player while Hayward is not. Patrick Patterson was available, along with several other PF/C types that would have helped right away, instead of a 6'8" 210 lb. guy who will likely be buried behind Miles, AK, Korver, and Matthews in the rotation. Real smart move Jazz. Not buying any season tickets.

• Shaun
    June 24, 2010 8:18 p.m.

I was going to write something about the Jazz and Hayward but I am so disgusted I think I will just go ride my motorcycle instead.

• scalman
    June 24, 2010 8:19 p.m.

The Jazz don't have a crater at center. Their group of Fes/Okur/Koufos will be better than last year, Milsap will continue to improve at power forward. Wait to you see Hayward curling around those screens like Matt Harpring used to. Another thing about Hayward, he's got a quick, high-release shot. Most guys in the NBA won't be able to block it. He'll get it off time and time again. No one is saying this guy is another Larry Bird, but he has played point forward. Only guys who are trusted by their teammates and coach can do that.

• louisiana jazz man
    June 24, 2010 8:36 p.m.

that pick told me 1. boozer will be signed kirlinko probly gone. but caint see were jazz will be better with or without him. so looks like a waste of a first round pick. needed to replace boozer or kirlinko they did neither looks to me like a milsap trade is coming?

• Jazz Source
    June 24, 2010 8:43 p.m.

Well this is not a glamorous pick for sure but this guy is a very savvy basketball player for sure.

People are right when they say this is not the piece to win a championship but there was absolutely nobody left that was so I am not sure what you are babbling about. The reality is the Jazz know he is not a championship piece and they obviously have plans to get there another way.

You don't get a championship player at 9 unless you fluke out.

This guy will be an admirable backup a thrive in the Jazz system that requires a basketball brain.

Matthews and CJ Miles have replaced the one-dimensional playoff failure named Korver. In 2 entire playoff seasons Korver has show up a grand total of 2 games to make any significant contribution. That is unacceptable from somebody who calls themself the best 3 point shooter. Korver is a playoff bust and good riddance.

Hayward can dribble the ball and with that skill alone he has Korver the 6 year veteran beat. Inside the 3 pt line he is a decent shooter and in this offense he will get some decent looks.

• Daddiooh
    June 24, 2010 8:46 p.m.

Looks like all the BYU and Utah fans can finally agree on something!

• 9er4life
    June 24, 2010 8:47 p.m.

You gotta be kidding me. You waited 6 years to draft a skinny, white guy who have no basketball attributes. Can't they trade down to get this guy and get something out of it. The Jazz organization are a bunch of looooosers............... Sloan & KOC needs to go. Get out of town now!!!!!!

• DEW
    June 24, 2010 8:56 p.m.

like what you guys said about John Stockton. Am I right? He will be fine! Play ball Haywood!

• Bugoff
    June 24, 2010 8:57 p.m.

On further analysis I am going to reverse some of my earlier comments.

The Jazz could not move down because they wanted Hayward and IND at 10 would have grabbed him. IND took George instead.

They could not move up (no teams could move up) as none of the teams above them would deal in spite of posturing.

Hayward has excellent dribbling skills. He can play point forward. He has guarded SGs in college at times. Peak Performance can improve his lateral movement to a degree. Given 3 or 4 years he will weigh as much as AK so he will not be that skinny. Most of his weaknesses are can be corrected.

His shooting should improve. He rebounds better than any of the current Jazz SFs.

The big disappointment is that the Jazz did not address glaring weaknesses and questions at the PF and C positions. However, Patterson/Aldrich were the only bigs available who might contribute this year. The Jazz liked Hayward better in the long run. Patterson/Aldrich were not going to fix the problems with the Lakers.

Lets see how the Jazz address the PF and C. They still have options.

• Ak Fan
    June 24, 2010 8:58 p.m.

What a bunch of crazy pple. It is just a draft with no talent pool. Hayward will be better than Snyder ( hopefully). And the end doesn't matter who where get drafted they are not gonna make big difference anyway.
    Shved that's interesting

• utduck
    June 24, 2010 9:18 p.m.

ONE MORE TIME. We could not have moved down to get Haward. He would have been gone at #10. He was the best player on the board.

• Fifty150
    June 24, 2010 9:19 p.m.

I love this pick!

I never thought they would do it but after watching butler all season I feel really good about this one. I can't believe all the people bagging on him already.

The last thing the jazz need to do is draft some lame-duck center again. The jazz need to get rid of miles and any of our bigs, let boozer leave and trade for a good big.

Williams, Mathews, AK, Millsap and a good big...

• Boom
    June 24, 2010 9:22 p.m.

Hayward was easily the best player in the NCAA Tournament last year. The dude was two points from a championship.

Welcome to Utah Gordon, we can't wait to have you!!!

Go Jazz!!!

• 3grandslams
    June 24, 2010 9:25 p.m.

This kid has game...I've become a Jazz fan again.

• eagle
    June 24, 2010 9:26 p.m.

Pretty much all Jazz fans were uneducated about John Stockton. At Gonzaga he he was the Player of the Year in his conference. He was by far the best player in his conference. He shot over 50% and led the league in assists going away and was one of the league's top scorer. Hayward is not in John Stockton's league. Layden made a steal with this guy and did his research. I don't know if Hayward will be a good NBA player or not but he is no John Stockton and not even a poor man's Jeff Hornacek. He did well leading Butler to the finals and has some intangibles that the Jazz fell in love with but if you look at his production and upside, not a good pick for this high in the draft. Like many Jazz fans here, I hope I'm wrong...

• Bugoff
    June 24, 2010 9:27 p.m.

There is a crater at C.

Fes is unsigned. Koufos was in a funk all of last year. Both had big negative WP48s. Okur before he got hurt had a WP48 of about .05. The average C has a WP48 of .22.

I have been a big advocate of developing Fes/Koufos but until they start producing the numbers that will win there is a crater at C.

It has to be addressed in some way.

• Bo Jangles
    June 24, 2010 9:29 p.m.

A poor pick. The Jazz need:
    1- A slasher that can get to the hole frequently
    2- A big body to contend against the Lakers 7 footers
    3- A better back up point guard

Hayward is none of these, he's Jeff Hornaceks taller, little brother. What a waste of a #9 pick

• Johnson72
    June 24, 2010 9:36 p.m.

Hmmmm... Good thing I still have my Lakers to beat the jazz next season... Good luck Hayword!!

• Nevada fan
    June 24, 2010 9:45 p.m.

Again! Just how does this pick help get past the Lakers this year?

• Chuck Nunn
    June 24, 2010 9:46 p.m.

Jazz just picked a 190-pound power forward who averaged 10 points and 7 boards in the SUN BELT! What the heck?

• ExAFvet
    June 24, 2010 9:48 p.m.

Imagine this kid trying to guard Camelo and Durant.

To those saying he would be gone at 10. Good, the fact that the Pacers want him should be enough of a warning to stay away from him.

• Buzz
    June 24, 2010 9:49 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHA

This is why your roster is full of 2nd round picks... because you always blow it with your 1st rounders. Well, almost always but even a blind monkey could have picked DWill.

Welll, I guess my Lakers will continue to mop the floor with the Jazz as always.

HAHAHAHAHA

• Buzz
    June 24, 2010 9:56 p.m.

Get past the Lakers? Are you guys serious? You need to get past the Suns, Spurs and Mavs first. You are not even in the same realm as the Lakers. Stop dreaming

You guys are aiming way too high. Get real

• Richie
    June 24, 2010 10:02 p.m.

I think I will get sick. I just trashed my USC tee shirt, now I will add my Jazz gear to the pile.

• shaybo
    June 24, 2010 10:02 p.m.

Well the jazz had better have something else up their sleeve because they did absolutely nothing to address their needs in the draft. Oconner please tell me how a team loses Boozer and Korver and replaces them with a pretty good at best small forward is not going to be worse next year. You should be fired.

• Seattleview
    June 24, 2010 10:04 p.m.

Since the Jazz didnt "earn" the right to pick in the lottery rounds it appears they decided to pick someone that they could have picked with the pick they did earn (late first round). Some habits are hard to break.

Maybe next year they will be able to do better with the lottery pick that they do "earn".

• scalman
    June 24, 2010 10:05 p.m.

So it's like this Laker fans...you guys wouldn't be beating the the Jazz if you didn't pick up another team's best player every 5 years or so...think Shaq, then Odom, then Gasol. Not to take anything away from Kobe Bryant. I think he is the in the big 4 all time at guard...West, Robertson, Jordan, and the Black Mamba, Kobe Bryant.

• GoodGuyGary
    June 24, 2010 10:08 p.m.

The comments remind me when KOC picked DWill instead of CP3....

• Dave S
    June 24, 2010 10:15 p.m.

I never knew there were so many clueless Jazz fans until reading your posts tonight. Ed Davis and Cole Aldrich---Are you serious??? There is no way I would have taken either of those players before Hayward.

I believe he is the perfect player for the Jazz system. His basketball IQ will make him a very solid NBA player in a couple years and of course he is going to grow into his body in due time. I love this pick!!

• Buzz
    June 24, 2010 10:18 p.m.

Oh man... heheheh right on Seattleview. That was a low blow..

Accurate though.

• blauch
    June 24, 2010 10:26 p.m.

Horrible Pick

I defend the Jazz Brass a lot, but this is the third really bad pick they made in 6 years

Taking Humphries over Josh Smith - who every single draft expert said he was the best athlete in the draft.

Taking Morris Almond over Splitter. Everyone knew he was going to be great eventually. It looks like this the year we will see how good he really is going to be.

They should have traded up or taken Davis.

• doc33
    June 24, 2010 10:26 p.m.

I am OK with the first round pick (the other pick was unknown to me). Hayward is skilled and competitive, but I don't know if he is physically ready to play in the NBA next year.

I preferred Babbitt, but I am glad they didn't draft either Davis or Aldrich. Hayward has upside and might be very good.

• Buzz
    June 24, 2010 10:28 p.m.

Yeah real nice comeback scalman..

And my grandma would be my grandma if she was a man. Or my Jetta wouldn't be a car if it was a truck. According to you, the NBA should do away with free agency. Are you actually implying that the Jazz draft better than the Lakers?

So your Jazz struck gold way back when with Stockton and Malone. Most every team has had their share of drafting a Hall of Famer.

We just had a lottery pick a few years ago and we got Andrew Bynum who is now a max-contract player. Kupchak took a risk and many thought he was crazy but look what happened.

Don't be jealous because no top free agents will play for you. They want to play for a winner so naturally they want to go to the Lakers/

• 1tobeamup
    June 24, 2010 10:31 p.m.

PLEASE listen to the interview with KOC after the pick ... he said they worked VERY hard to trade up but could not get any takers. Remember, to trade up we needed to have a player another team wanted - who would that be - AK, Milsap, CJ. Come on...would any team want them so we could have Favors or Monroe?

• Boozer Bandwagon
    June 24, 2010 10:31 p.m.

I had Hayward at 15 on my draft board and so did every GM but the Jazz. I'm dissapointed we didn't trade down with Memphis since there still would have been plenty of good players available. I would have been happier with Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, even Cole Aldrich, Luke Babbit, Xavier Henry. Indiana was way too high with Paul George too. The top 8 teams in the draft did well. The Jazz should've traded up for Monroe like everyone wanted; hopefully Gordon's a playmaker like in the NCAA tournament.

• Doug10
    June 24, 2010 10:41 p.m.

By the time the 6th pick was gone so were the Jazz hopes for drafting a big man to make a difference. Their next option seemed to be replace Korver with someone who can shoot has been in the finals and can dribble and defend...they did good.

Their second choice can end the Utah Koufos experiment as he can jump, defend and hit inside the key.

If Boozer leaves which is more unlikely now the Nets drafted a big inside guy who should be good in the next 3-4 years so Boozer won't go there.

If Boozer stays perhaps the Jazz can trade Okur or AK for the big man the JAzz are missing, but the big man they are missing was not in the draft but he is playing already in the league. KOC just has to trade for him.

• dirkptp
    June 24, 2010 10:43 p.m.

I give up being a Jazz fan. This pick is ridiculous. You dont waste the #9 pick on a role player.

• Veracity
    June 24, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Kevin O'Connor stated "The jazz fans will have to wait two years to see if Hayward was a good pick" I say, when we realize this was a wasted pick in two years, the Jazz fire Kevin O'Conner for another insane move.

• TrueFan
    June 24, 2010 10:47 p.m.

From what I understand, his hometown Pacers were all set to draft him at 10 right behind the Jazz, so the Jazz really couldn't have traded down and still got him, while drafting someone else at nine. In all honesty, with Udoh and Monroe off the board, he was probably a good pick for our system. Nobody else that was left thrilled me either. The real talent in this draft was in the top seven picks, and the Jazz were unable to move up. That's the real story here. Not whomever they were going to draft as a consolation prize at nine.

• Confused
    June 24, 2010 10:47 p.m.

1tobeamup

That ought to tell you that KOC does not know what he is doing because the Jazz has NO ONE (outside of Dwill) else that any other team wants.

For those that like this pick, he may be good in two years, but the problem is WE HAVE TOO MANY PLAYERS at that position.

• Bugoff
    June 24, 2010 10:52 p.m.

Time will tell but the Jazz could have trade down and got 2 picks. They would have gotten a decent SF and a decent PF/C. IND would have grabbed Hayward but there were a lot of decent SF in the 10-20 range.

There is something fundamentally flawed with the Jazz drafting criteria. They are consistently wrong and bad at drafting in the first round. It is Sloan, KOC and the whole group.

They should trade the picks for existing players who they know will fit their system. That is what they do best, evaluate existing NBA/D-league talent.

Hayward is 2 years away from making much contribution unless the Jazz are forced to play him like they did Mathews.

He may work out okay. The second round pick looks like a waste.

• Jazz Fan Forever
    June 24, 2010 10:55 p.m.

I think Kevin O'Connor knows more about the available players than any of you writing comments. You must have missed the NCAA tournament. This kid plays with heart and led an undermanned team to the final game. If that final shot banks in they are NCAA champs. Larry Bird did the same as a Senior but the game against Michigan was never in doubt. Bird was 22 this kids 20. Both are from Indiana where basketball is their religion. Bird is a slow white guy too and you guys would have booed his pick as well. He went #6. Where is his athleticism? Who can he guard? Give the kid a chance. Chad Ford evaluated Hayward as a "Tough versatile player". As for Boozer this is the guy that stiffed the Cavs and will soon walk on the Jazz, always injured and plays to the contract. Why do you want him? He plays for the stats and that is not for Ws. Good riddance.

• BillM75
    June 24, 2010 10:58 p.m.

By every measurable Babbitt is better, but I guess we just gotta trust the professionals' judgment (after a few deep breaths). You're not getting a superstar at 9 without a miracle.

I do think they could've traded down and got decent backups for Millsap & Matthews, but I guess will see.

No way that 2nd round pick makes it thru camp at 196lbs.

• Large Tuna
    June 24, 2010 10:58 p.m.

"The only thing I hope is in two years you're not booing," What an arrogant statement. maybe we should wait two years to see if he's good before we buy tickets.

• UncleArtie
    June 24, 2010 11:14 p.m.

I LOVE THIS PICK!!!!! I've been talking Hayward to my friends for three weeks. How many of these 'shouda picks' took their teams to the NCAA championship game?

Gordon is a perfect fit; Boozer is the swinger.

If Jazz re-sign Boozer, they will not have enough cash to sign Korver (remember, they also need to sign Mathews & Fez).

If they fail to sign Boozer, then they will have enough cash to re-sign Korver; Kirilenko will share the #4 spot with Millsap.

Even though he is young he can play right away and has lots of upside potential.

GREAT PICK!!!!

• Dalew
    June 24, 2010 11:20 p.m.

Let's face it... There WAS ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD BIG GUYS AVAILABLE!!!!!! Trust me, the Jazz knew fans wanted one, they know we need one, but there just wasn't anybody available worth taking. Hayward has good size, plays hard, is smart, can create for others, and was the most versatile player available. THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO GET SIZE!!!!! Free Agency hasn't even started yet..... RELAX.

• bgl
    June 24, 2010 11:24 p.m.

So many of the boo birds are crying about missing out on players who they have never seen play--and there's a good reason you didn't see them play--namely, they weren't on good teams or teams that did very much. Well, I DID see this kid play and I saw what he did for his team. There is a heck of a lot more at work here than "a character pick" and pleasing the Jazz faithful. I don't know what he'll become--and I'll admit, I thought all the same thing about A. Morrison. But this kid is a ball player and he made a lot of high profile talent look like they were firing cap pistols. All we could hope for in this draft was to be pleasantly shocked in a couple of seasons. This guy stands as good of a chance as anyone I saw from 5 down of doing just that. Best of luck, Gordon! Make these fair weather fans eat their words.

• areyouinthere
    June 24, 2010 11:26 p.m.

Kosta and Gordon are gonna be pretty sick for the Flash...

• Salt Lake Sam
    June 24, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Great pick up considering what was left on the board and that the Jazz couldn't trade up for a Monroe/Favors/Udoh (Davis or Aldrich don't deserve to be in the same class) type player. Initially, I wanted Babbitt, but Heyward will be a great fit in our system. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• jumpinjax
    June 24, 2010 11:39 p.m.

@ Delew
    What r u talking about? Davis and Patterson were still there not to mention Aldrich! They didn't even take the best SF available, either Babbitt or George will have a better career!!

• GreasyDave
    June 24, 2010 11:39 p.m.

There are a few draft picks that I think KOC would take back (ie-Lopez over Parker, Brochardt over Boozer and Humphries/Synder over Nelson/Jefferson), but for the most part the Jazz have only drafted in the latter part of the First Round. You're necessarily not going to get a star at that point, that's when the draft becomes a crapshoot. I think KOC has done a good job in Utah and that's apparent with the Jazz record and current playoff run.

• Jazz-Nation
    June 24, 2010 11:39 p.m.

The Jazz obviously know that they have needs at the 4 and 5 . We can not expect a rookie to lead us to a championship and with AK's contract coming off the books or possible trade bait this pick makes a lot of sense. I have to beleive the Jazz are going to shop AK or pick up a veteran or two and possibly go over the luxury tax. I think if the Jazz happen to just sit back and do nothing that they will have a losing record at the end of the season, then all of the complaints that I have been reading would be valid. as of right now, Jazz fans need to CHILL, and wait and see what KOC has up his sleave, GO JAZZ!!

• Terry
    June 24, 2010 11:46 p.m.

When people thought the NY pick could/should be a top 5 last year, we could have traded it for a good and proven player or better future pick than this! Nobody imagined our only ever lottery pick would be spent on Gordon Hayward, another semi-athletic white guy when we needed a tall and athletic shot blocker! We should have traded down for two late first round picks.

Jazz pick the best available player? NOBODY had Hayward as the best player at a #9 lottery spot! If we had a #18 pick OK, but #9??? Huge Bust Potential! Jimmer Fredette could create his own shot and at least HIT NBA 3's like crazy, not 29% from college 3, maybe 20% from NBA 3!!!

Jazz 1st round track record WORST IN NBA! And don't give me the DW argument, you cant screw up a no brainer #3 pick when your only PG options are either DW or CP! We need a new GM!!!

• Jesse
    June 25, 2010 12:02 a.m.

I really know what to say, I didn't see this coming. Talking with people on these boards and on The Oracle, nobody saw this or predicted this happening. I won't knock him as a player because he will be a good role player, but to pick him at 9 is a big reach. Why couldn't we have traded back and got him. If Indiana was set to get him at 10, then we could have went with Henry or Babbitt if that was the type of player they were looking for. Memphis had picks 12, 25, and 28, we could have made something work and picked up another late 1st. Complete lack of creativity.

I'm stunned by the 2nd pick probably even more. Who is this guy? The article on him mentioned he was a big guy, but did it say he weighed 197lbs? Next pick after them was Hamady N'diaye from Rutgers. I've been touting him for a while now. 6'11" and averaged 4.5bpg in the Big East. I believe he made the portsmouth draft camp 1st team also.

I'm shocked all around. I hope I get pleasantly surprised.

• S2M
    June 25, 2010 12:06 a.m.

Hard to see the logic of this pick right now. Not long or athletic. I just hope the Jazz see something I don't in this kid. I think he will shoot better when he is not the focus of the defense like in college.

If boozer goes and we don't get a good post player we are pretty much done. I like AK at 4 but he won't make it a whole season banging with other bigs. I doubt anyone would give us value for Memo coming off the injury. Fes doesn't really understand how to play and Kosta is soooo slow trying to get shots up down low. (However their dance contest video is pretty funny on youtube). Idk I hope the Jazz make some sort of move before the season.

• Dalew
    June 25, 2010 12:08 a.m.

@jumpinjax: Davis couldn't even dominate in college, let alone in the NBA. He sucks and wouldn't even pass Fes or Kosta on the depth chart. Patterson is 6'9, which last time I checked isn't much bigger than Millsap or Boozer and won't be able to guard Bynum or Gasol either. Babbit got dominated by Ty Wesley on the defensive end..... how will he guard anybody in the NBA out on the perimeter, and George may be good, but it's all based on potential with him.... which isn't a guarantee. Hayward is a winner and he's better than people are giving him credit for.

• Large Tuna
    June 25, 2010 12:12 a.m.

@Jazz-Nation: The Jazz have been shopping AK since he had his emotional breakdown 3 years ago in the playoffs and no one has taken him yet. So why would they now? And the expiring contract excuse won't work. It didn't work when they tried to get rid of Boozer, who is much better than AK, and he only had 12mil on his contract. They certainly aren't going to do it for AK's 17mil contract. Even if you did trade AK to a team looking to dump salary, these teams are giving back equal or lesser value players, mostly garbage bench players.

Besides, trading AK does more harm for the Jazz than good. If we trade him we are likely getting in return someone of equal price value with a multi-year contract instead of a 1-year contract. So we're basically trading AK away and extending his cost for another few years, which does nothing but keep us out of free agency for multiple years. We may as well keep him for one more year at that rate.

Besides, its not like KOC will do anything in the summer anyway, never has.

• True Blue
    June 25, 2010 12:45 a.m.

The guy led a mid-major college team to the National Championship game and was seconds away from winning that game for his team. Lets give him a chance. Hopefully he has a little more success than AK when asked to put on some pounds. Go Hayward!
    p.s. I'm just as shocked and angry as everyone else (seeing who our other options were), but I'm hopeful.

• Dick of the NW
    June 25, 2010 12:57 a.m.

Love some of these posts. Remember the game is basketball. Hayward brings an BB IQ that some of these guys will never grasp. This is a team game which Hayward WILL BRING! Look who the Jazz have on the bench. How much further along is KK and Fes than any of the bigs that went in the draft not including the top five picks? Who had heard of Wes Matthews or Paul Millsap before the Jazz gave them a chance due to what BB talent they saw in those young men. Let's enjoy the Summer and watch the the Jazz build their TEAM! GO JAZZ! BTW D-Will was contacted about this pick and he liked it.

• TerryHaimes
    June 25, 2010 1:02 a.m.

I like Hayward and if he doesn't get hurt everybody else will before long. He can play 1 through 4 and he can shoot.

New Jersey is probably going to offer a deal the Jazz can't refuse for AK47.

Terry M. Haimes

• A Better Opinion
    June 25, 2010 1:22 a.m.

You guys are absolutely right! All you regular joe's working at a 9-5 pace living the regular life know much more than the manager, coaches, and owner of the Jazz. They have no credibility and they haven't had a good team recently so they probably wont do any good.....

• a real sports fan
    June 25, 2010 1:28 a.m.

You fellow Jazz fans make me ill. You are all such great GMs, aren't you? You are the type of people that would say, "Why don't we trade David Benoit for Michael Jordan," or "We should package AK and Fes for Dwight Howard." You really have no idea what is involved in the NBA. Trade down? What a novel concept. I'm sure KOC didn't think of that one. People, the other GMs know what they are doing, too. Let's wait and see what kind of player Hayward turns out to be before we condemn the poor kid to a bust. Who knows? He could turn out to be the best player in the draft. Now if one of the players the Jazz passed on turns into a superstar, then you can say the team missed, but until then, let's welcome Gordon and let him think that when they say fans in Utah are the greatest it isn't just lip service. I for one say, "Welcome and good luck!"

• Chuck Nunn
    June 25, 2010 2:57 a.m.

OK, Davis haters, here's a pop question for you: What's one thing Ed Davis has that Gordon Hayward doesn't? The answer I'm looking for is an NCAA title. There's no going back, Hayward is the guy, and at least he does have some game. And as to Evans, I'm REALLLY hoping there's more to him than meets the eye. But if his shooting percentage is so great, why just 10 points per game? Why wasn't WKU going to him more? And at 196 pounds, exactly how is he going to replace Kosta Koufos? And folks, barring a miracle or Doug10 loaning the Jazz about $17M a year for the next six years, Boozer won't be coming back. And you can't expect that just because the Nets' new owner is Russian and likes AK that he's going to just make any old trade to get him. I'll accept the guys Utah drafted, but there is NO question that this year's draft was an opportunity lost.

• nottyou
    June 25, 2010 5:28 a.m.

I'm all in. Give the kid a chance.

• What's up?
    June 25, 2010 6:01 a.m.

NV had two drafted players, George is lazy, USU owned both of these guys and "their teams". They could not lead their teams out of a room with one door. Leadership and skill level are two different things. Not sure how this pick makes since, but like it much more than some in the past. I agree that the best thing that the Jazz could get out of this year would be the Portland GM ASAP.

• Bugoff
    June 25, 2010 6:19 a.m.

Dick has a point that I have been thinking about. DET claimed they won a championship with a Team and not the best BB players.

However, after watching LA and BOS I would say they are some TEAMS out there that also have some great players.

The Jazz simply do not have enough talent and the primary reason appears to be Sloan's overweight of intangibles over enough talent.

Hard work will only make up for so much. Start with enough talent and then build with the work.

There were picks in the 2nd round who were much better picks. The Jazz are sending a clear signal they are committed to Fes and Koufos. I would have drafted a real big just to help with negotiations with Fes.

If the Jazz had a strong history in the draft it might be different. They have a really bad history and the fans have good reason to be skeptical.

OKC, HOU, SA and HOU helped themselves. POR did okay. Even SAC, GS and the Clips got high risk but high potential players.

At this point it is very hard to believe the Jazz are serious about interior D.

• bobby d
    June 25, 2010 7:10 a.m.

I had a feeling this would happen. I just want to ask 1 question. Where is Morris Almond? This is going to be the same type of draft pick that was when they took Morris. Unless we loose Booz and trade Andre, will we be able to go for the big we so desperately need. Keep your chin up DWill!

• Mike in Sandy
    June 25, 2010 7:38 a.m.

GREAT!!! Just what Utah needs. Another pale, skinny kid.
    This guy will get mauled in the NBA. He can hide behind a stop sign.

• jazzbball
    June 25, 2010 7:44 a.m.

Here's the deal:

If KOC has a trade in the works for CJ Miles or AK for a big body, this pick makes sense. If he doesn't, then this pick is indefensible.

We're going to have to wait until the start of the season to understand the Jazz's line of thinking.

To their credit, it seems pretty clear they tried to move up and simply couldn't. What i don't understand, is if the Warriors wanted Udoh, why didn't they and the Jazz swap picks and the Jazz give up another pick or something? Udoh would've been there at 9, and the Jazz could've gotten Monroe. Everyone wins.

The Jazz have this offseason to prove the boo-birds wrong. I think the fans had every right to boo.

In better news, I like Hayward, and think he's going to help our team win. But the guy we needed was Monroe.

• Jack Bauer
    June 25, 2010 7:47 a.m.

The second bad pick of the evening. Listen, Hayward had a great NCAA tournament, but so did Ed O’Bannon. He doesn’t have the athleticism or skill to succeed in this league, and the Jazz aren’t exactly overflowing with offensive weapons that will pull defenders off him. Worse than him going up against small forwards in the league who will suffocate himself defensively, is the fact that he doesn’t have the speed/strength to stick the league’s quality small forwards on the other end.

• Big R
    June 25, 2010 8:30 a.m.

If Utah fans are booing, then the Jazz did the right thing. The state of Utah (including BYU and Utah fans) are some of the most unknowledgeable fans out there. Hayward is someone who can play and actually WANTS to be in Utah. Would you rather have a big guy who can't really play and doesn't want to be in Utah? A great selection by the Jazz and let's hope the fans keep whining because you can't talk sports in Utah without hearing the whine!

• Jim Marshall
    June 25, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Let me just say that if I had Kevin O Connnor's record in my job, I WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED a long time ago.

Evaluate in 2 years? Yeah, when D-Will is leaving our unathletic, undersized team for greener pastures.

Stockton was booed? Stop with that excuse right now KOC. You did not draft Stockton, and don't even deserve to mention his name.

Borchardt, Snyder, Stevenson, Lopez (over T. Parker), Humphries, Almond, Koufos. Enough said.

GREG MILLER, FOR THE LOVE OF THE FRANCHISE, FIRE THIS BUM KEVIN O CONNOR! NOW! NO, REALLY. SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER AND CALL HIM INTO YOUR OFFICE AND FIRE HIM RIGHT NOW. YOU INCOMPETANT PEOPLE ARE RUNNING THIS FRANCHISE INTO THE GROUND. SOMEBODY HELP!

• BigD
    June 25, 2010 9:09 a.m.

Raul Lopez, Ryan Humphrey, Sasha Pavlovic, Kris Humphries, Kirk Snyder, Pavel Podkolzine, D-Will, Ronnie Brewer, Mo Almond, Kosta Koufos, Eric Maynor. There are the last 11 1st rounders for the Jazz. Couldn't miss with D-Will so really 1 pick (Brewer) out of 11 turned out decent. Why should we give KOC 2 years? His track record speaks for itself. I know they don't usually get high picks but they should have something to show for that many picks.

• Dave E
    June 25, 2010 9:17 a.m.

Give the kid a chance, and welcome him to Utah! I think he'll surprise us for what he can offer the Jazz.

• Particulars of no Consequence
    June 25, 2010 9:20 a.m.

I realize that everyone's knee-jerk reaction is disappointment that we have no big man for next season, but don't pay attention to the thoughtless comments from some whiny fans(?).

Keep in mind:
    (1) Hayward is very athletic. Most commenting here apparently did not watch the NCAA tourney. Al-Farouq Aminu is thought to be an athletic prospect and went right before Hayward in the draft - Hayward has a better vertical leap and better sprint time.
    (2) The Jazz have a 7'2" Croatian coming next summer who has been progressing well at Real Madrid.

• Not Asleep
    June 25, 2010 9:35 a.m.

Thanks Bugoff, you're a voice of reason in a cacaphony of negativity. Everything I read and heard was that most of the best bigs had been picked and the rest that were available were all projects of sorts. Cole Aldrich kept been compared to Ostertag and there was questions whether he will contribute immediately. The assessment that KOC is one of the most respected GMs of the league is spot on. I trust them and I think Hayward is going to surprise. To just knee-jerk pick a Big (read: panic because that is your most pressing need and not pick the BEST available at the time) is not smart management. The draft is over-rated for what it can do for a team like the Jazz (we don't need a world-altering player for us). We need a Big, yes, a very pressing need but I don't think the draft was going to produce that for us because of our spot at #9. I think that is going to come from a trade or the progress of Fes (Koufus is not getting it in my opinion).

• 9er4life
    June 25, 2010 9:36 a.m.

The jazz are in a bad state right now. They definitely need new leadership starting at the top with miller. he's not involved like his dad and is leading the jazz in the wrong direction. but at least this will lead to more lottery picks, that's definitely the good news. but with more lottery picks, they still have the same idiots drafting these white, slow players. very sad.

• Jazz-Nation
    June 25, 2010 10:02 a.m.

I AM A TRUE JAZZ FAN FOR LIFE. I WILL SUPPORT MY TEAM THROUGH ALL THE GOOD AND POSSIBLY BAD, ALTHOUGH IT HAS BEEN AWHILE SINCE WE HAVE SEEN BAD. I ADMIT TO BEING ONE WHO SCRATCHED MY HEAD IN WONDER, WHEN THIS PICK WAS ANNOUNCED, BUT I DID NOT BOO. I ALSO ADMIT I SCRATCHED MY HEAD IN WONDER WHEN THE SECOND PICK WAS ANNOUNCED. ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT I HAVE ENJOYED A WINNING TRADITION AS A JAZZ FAN AND I DONT SEE THAT CHANGING ANY TIME SOON. GO JAZZ!!

• Dennis
    June 25, 2010 10:19 a.m.

The Jazz haven't had an EQ president since Stockton retired. This kid fits the bill perfectly. Well done O'Connor. RM looking kids are the rage in the league now.

• Not So Fast
    June 25, 2010 10:21 a.m.

To be clear 9er4life, you don't like the pick because he is white? He isn't slow.

• Henry Drummond
    June 25, 2010 10:25 a.m.

I think we've been so fixated on the draft that people forget that needs are filled through free agency and trades as well. There just wasn't anyone available that could immediate help at center or power forward through the draft. Gordon makes perfect sense if you're looking to add someone through the draft that will help you in the future. He could very easily turn into a Kirelenko style player without the mood swings. Gordon has nothing to worry about. When you play your first game you won't have all those people who just show up for the free hot dogs and drinks and who act like jerks.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt
    June 25, 2010 10:27 a.m.

He can afford a haircut now.

• Not So Fast
    June 25, 2010 10:34 a.m.

Fan over react but Kevin Pritchard, formerly of the Blazers, is a pretty great GM. The Jazz choose stability, but a change would be exciting and Pritchard is among the best IMHO.

• Cameron
    June 25, 2010 10:49 a.m.

When this kid is a borderline All Star and free agency bekons, he'll remember the boos.

• Big_Ben
    June 25, 2010 10:53 a.m.

Hayward actually had one of the better times in the 3/4 court sprint. Faster than babbitt and aminu actually. He just does not have quickness, so that will be a concern. He is in good shape, He is a hard worker. I dont like the pick, but ill cheer for him. If he doesnt pan out, I think Oconnor is a goner.

• jazzman3030
    June 25, 2010 11:05 a.m.

Thanks for removing my previous post admin. I hope Dwill leaves. You Mormon finger pointers deserve it.

• Big_Ben
    June 25, 2010 11:13 a.m.

Here is an idea: Tell me what you think. The kings have seemingly too many big men now with Whiteside, Landry, Thompson, Dalembert, and Cousins. None of those guys deserves to be a 5th guy in a five man rotation, though I think it will be whiteside.

I would love to grab Thompson from them. I dont know who they would want in return. Maybe CJ, since he is an expiring deal with similar salaries. That amkes the Hayward pick make more sense. Thompson could start at center or power forward, but i would love to get him.

• LivinLarge
    June 25, 2010 12:12 p.m.

This should have the Lakers shaking in their shoes...

• MenaceToSociety
    June 25, 2010 12:13 p.m.

First comment from Todd- completely unknowledgable and wrong. Go figure. If Todd has no idea how Hayward plays, why get in with the first comment and show everyone how unknowledgable he really is?

Hayward has very good skills and seems to know how to play the game. He was fun to watch in the NCAA tournament. Let's hope his skills translate to the NBA more like Stephen Curry and less like Adam Morrison. I could see it going either way. But I don't know how that will play out, and neither does any Jazz fan.

If the Jazz front office thought Hayward was the best player available, I'm glad they took him. An undersized big like Patterson or Davis would be less help against the Lakers than Boozer or Milsap. The only guys with the size and ability in the draft to possibly help the Jazz against the Lakers were Cousins, Monroe, Favors, and MAYBE Udoh. Guess what Jazz fans- they were all gone before the Jazz picked. O'Connor can't force teams to give up those high draft picks. This is not a video game. It is the real world, the NBA.

• patriot
    June 25, 2010 12:31 p.m.

If you watched the national championship game vs Duke Hayward was great. Very veritle player that can shoot and drive to the basket. He can play the 2 guard or he can sub in at small forward. My preference would be to put him at the 2 guard. Remember, there are alot of tall 2 guards in the league - Colby Bryant is 6'7" and the Jazz are too short there. I think Hayward will be alot like Bryon Russell who can play the 2 or the 3 spot.No question the Jazz still need to go get some long tall players - probably from Brazil, Spain or Russia.

• jcrotty25
    June 25, 2010 12:44 p.m.

Well Menacetosociety your wrong as well bc there were still bigs that are long enough and athletic enough to pair with our very good team who could excell....Larry Sanders and Hasan Whiteside we could have easily had both of them as well as a nice little rebounder athlete named Stanley Robinson ... COME ON OCONNER ... all we need is athletes who can block shots play D jump and finish around the rim!!!!! then we can compete with the lakers look at OKC they have some nobody at center who can block shots and is a monsterbeast on the boards and look how close OKC came to beating the lakers in large part bc of how their bigs played vs the lakers bigs..!!!! I love Hayward but seriously add some more picks and get some of these GEM's that slip in the draft to go with him ... thats your problem KOC you cant make trades ... i agree with those who want to get portland's old GM he allways makes solid moves through the draft and trades ...

• Big_Ben
    June 25, 2010 12:50 p.m.

I think that right now, Boozer is gone. And that is just fine with me. It looks to me like we are not gearing up for a run this year. It looks to me like we are shooting for 2011/2012. Next year, we have some salary cap room (probably about 20 million) we can bring in a couple of solid players. I hope this year we really give koufus a chance. I want to see if we can count on him to be our four or five of the future. I see the potential, I just hope we can see something from him this year.

• billyjack
    June 25, 2010 12:53 p.m.

Some information many Utah Jazz sports fans may have forgotten.

We drafted Ante Tomic a few years ago a 7'1" center who is averaging 18.4 points and 6.8 rebounds with a 63% shooting percent for his overseas team. He is considered one of the best in his league.

Tadija Dragicevic who the Jazz drafted in 2008 is a 6'9" 222 lbs PF who will play for the Jazz in their summer league in Orlando in a few weeks.

Gordon Hayward shot 30% from 3 point range because he was the go to guy and people collapsed on him in college.

I would trust Walt Perin and Jazz scouting department over some fans at a draft party or on a message site.

Let this all play out. As far as Boozer he plays no defense so let him go.

If Hayward replaces Korver that is fine too since Korver does not play as good of defense as Matthews and others like Price.

We will be just fine if Fez can quit being intimidated and play the game. He is still figuring out how to play.

• DocSarvis
    June 25, 2010 12:59 p.m.

Any poster on here who says that Luke Babbitt and Paul George are better players than Hayward, know nothing about basketball. I've seen all 3 a number of times over the past year. Hayward is as athletic as George, but plays hard every minute, which George doesn't do. All Babbitt likes to do is stand outside the 3 point line and fire away. Not only that, George is known for his bad attitude and laziness, and Babbitt is a prima donna crybaby with a work aversion. There is no doubt whatsoever that Hayward is a better player right now, and will be in the future.

• Fred704
    June 25, 2010 1:01 p.m.

If everything goes well, Hayward may fit well in Utah's offensive system. However, I don't see him in 100 years being able to match up with elite SF in the league such as LBJ, Melo, and Durant or good SF. He will be burned in a second. He might grow into an Okur-like starter, with good offense and poor defense. Therefore, I don't see him a starter on that championship Jazz team (if there is any in the future). I guess the 9th pick has been used for a future bench player/ sub-par starter at best.

• jcrotty25
    June 25, 2010 1:01 p.m.

But the positive side is we get a stud in Hayward and we can just trade for the bigs we need... assuming we do that bc i agree that bigs we trade for will be much better then patterson and Davis and probably Aldrich too ... but anyways back to the positives ... so there really are alot of expreienced bigs out ther to be had i think that Joel Anthony and Ronny Turiaf would be two cheaper finds who are underrated and have some length and a mean streak.... then ofcource we could try to obtain either Tyson Chandler A. Beidrens or Brendon Haywood ... Then if we really want to go all out a move for Kaman,A. Jefferson or M. Gortot ... i noticed the Magic drafted a big so maybe they will move him..??? what yall think about those possibilities ... I for one really Want R.Turiof i think he is a great fit ..and then also add Gortot or T. Chandler ... those combination possibilities get me giddy...

• jcrotty25
    June 25, 2010 1:09 p.m.

I like Hayward better then those other 2 as well you make a very good point but i will also add that Babbit's measurable's were off the charts ... I dont know if he utilizes this but we'll see i think his standing vert was almost 30 inches and his running was almost 40 now thats pretty serious athletisism and i dont know about paul george but ive read things that made me glad we didnt draft him ... so i thnk this draft will be a big succes as long as we go get some BIGS!!!!!!!! and bring Tomic over who is being compared to a young Pau Gasol .!!!

• Richie
    June 25, 2010 1:12 p.m.

The Jazz have several options.

Get rid of AK, CJ and Boozer. Use the money to bring in Bosh.

Outright fire O'Connor and Sloan

Watch Williams yell trade me. He isn't going to wait for anymore stupidity.

• jcrotty25
    June 25, 2010 1:27 p.m.

RICHIE you make me laugh ... lol the only reason our team is good is bc of Sloan you put this team together in another city with another coach they are boarderline playoff team and more likely wouldn't even make the playoffs ... i say we only have a few more years with Sloan so we need to get over the top now before he's gone and we have no chance to win a championship ever again in our lifetimes and all you Richies are out there crying bc you wish we had Sloan and our old teams back lol...

• jcrotty25
    June 25, 2010 1:35 p.m.

Oh but i do agree with fireing KOC ... I wonder if he noticed who OKC picked up Cole Aldrich yeah thats right they gave L.A. a better run then we did and decided they needed more size and shotblocking lololol wow looks like they are trying to get over the hump ... while we stand pat and dont make moves to atleast pick up a larry sanders or a hassan whiteside... way to go KOC i hope you got somthing up your sleve for FA bc if you dont you seriously are the worst gm pro sports has ever seen (we need size athlets shotblockers mean streak rebounder dunkers with length and quickness the dont have to be tim duncan look at the pistons when they won the championship they had scrapers with length a couple shooter's and a stuuuuud pg ala d-will)

• Jazz Source
    June 25, 2010 1:42 p.m.

re: Richie

You forgot one option the Jazz have and will no doubt employ.

That option would be to
    IGNORE clueless fans like you since you have no basketball sense.

How do you "get rid" of Boozer when he is already an unrestricted free agent and you don't have him under contract? Boozer is already gone. As a sidenote--it always makes good sense to "get rid" of a top 3 PF in the entire league. The reason everyone rides Boozer is because our Center can't do his job so everyone thinks Boozer has to make up for it.

Please do share also--which team is Williams going to get traded to that can "win" or do any better than the Jazz did last season?

Perhaps you did not notice? The Lakers beat everyone else too.

What a pack of emotional sissies.

• cjc
    June 25, 2010 1:50 p.m.

Reading all of your comments makes me realize something. I keep hearing comments about how the Jazz failed because they drafted a White player. So had Hayward been black, everything would have been just fine? I really think that most of you saw a white face flash in front of the screen when the pick was announced, and decided that because he's white he can't play. That, my friends, is called racism.

Hayward will be a good addition to the team.

• ngb11
    June 25, 2010 3:03 p.m.

first of all cjc from what ive read you are the only person to even mention that hes white. secondly i think that most people are saying that they should have taken either luke babbit or cole aldridge who are both also white.
    now that i got that out here is my oppinion on the pick. i think that of the first 8 picks there wer 6 big men taken so im thinking that 7th best big man is not going to have a huge impact in getting past the lakers. So i think that if you arent even going to get one of the best big men in the draft should probably go to plan b and for that reason i think it was a good pick

• WYoJazzFan
    June 25, 2010 3:27 p.m.

Well all you supposed fans keep yelling get rid of Sloan. Who are they going to bring in that will have as good of success as he has had. We have several players that fit into his system, which the other front office personnel know. You bring in a new guy and you end up starting from scratch. I can just hear the belly-aching now. You want instant gratification and hav no patience. Bring in the fired Blazer GM as a mentor to KOC for a couple of years while we see if Hayward will pan out. If not then drop KOC and make Pritchard the new GM. He seems to have done fairly well in Portland. So let him learn the Sloan/Johnson system for a couple of years and then if Sloan leaves and Johnson takes over. we will have less down time. Johnson is an assistant that has been promised the job when Sloan leaves. Johnson also has considerable input on how things are run.
    Also you all forget there are scouts that bring the info back to KOC. So where do you start and stop with the firings.

• Fedor
    June 25, 2010 3:53 p.m.

In S. Africa for world cup so just found out G Hayward is the man of hour. Good pick KOC. This young man has the serious potential. None of the big men left would have amounted to much. Jazz fan, every team in NBA would like shot blocking big man who rebounds and is big on Defense. Let the summer happen and quit the whinning. Prediction: Jazz make sign and trade with NJ sending Boozer and some crap to NJ for Favors and some crap. They have cap room to take on extra salary that we won't have to take back. Fair weather Jazz fan, you will eat your word just like all fair weather RSL fan who doubted team before they won MLS Cup last year!!!!!!! Gordon Hayward, he is our man now so let us support him!!! Gordon's work good in Utah....Gordon Hinckley, Gordon Chiesa, Gordon Lightfoot. It's on and it's our year!!! See you back in the beautiful SL Valley after USA wins World Cup!!!! USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!! GORDON GORDON GORDON GORDON GORDON GORDON GORDON!!!

• panamadesnews
    June 25, 2010 3:55 p.m.

I'd be willing to bet the farm that all of you who say you will not be buying season tickets, did not intend to anyway. never have purchased them, nor will you ever do so. You all sound like a bunch of losers to me. You know nothing about the game of BB but think you are best coaches on the planet. Get real!

• panamadesnews
    June 25, 2010 4:04 p.m.

I think Boozer is gone. Kirilenko will be a Jazzman for about half the season, then will be traded to save paying the tax again and put us in shape for free agency next year. Kiri will be playing power forward along with Milsap. The wings are covered, so is center, so far (we need to be concerned about Fez - his agent will try to hold us up) unless we lose Fez. Jerry will take this team and do wonders just like he always does. I think we'll be surprised. I am excited. I think if Boozer is gone, it will take a monkey off of our back. Even though Boozer is great offensively, he has other intangibles that do not mesh with the Jazz team. Lets be excited about another year of above average play - maybe many of us will be way surpresed - I think we will!

• panamadesnews
    June 25, 2010 4:05 p.m.

Sorry - way surprised. I think we will be.

• Fedor
    June 25, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Just catching up on the comments from all you yayhoo's out there. Listen to Fedor this one time....this is not monopoly money. There is cap (we are over) we have limited talent available (who would we give up, that another team wants, for an unproven player) and we still are the winning team every year. KOC is regarded by everyone who know anything about NBA as top 5 GM. Add Jerry Sloan to that and we will continue to win. Now to my friend Todd, who I know hates the Jerry Sloan. This man has the most respect in league outside of Zen Master Jackson....Todd, you know I have the respect for you, but Jerry is a legend, one of the all time great and one day we will miss him sorely. Friends, I see what has happened in great city of Portland w/ Mr Kevin Pritchard and tonight as I rest my head in S Africa I go to sleep feeling very lucky that KOC and Jerry are at the head of this team. Go Gordon Hayward, Go KOC, GO Coach Sloan....you are Fedor's great hero!!!!

• Chuck Nunn
    June 25, 2010 4:26 p.m.

Billyjack, I appreciate the references to Tomic (actually 7-2, but still awesome) and Dragicevic. But it's important to note that Dragicevic isn't an NBA-type power forward. He can rebound when he wants to, but his game is as much perimeter-oriented as anything. I still like him, and the prospect of his coming over is interesting. But he's not really a big banger in the key.

• Old Timer
    June 25, 2010 4:50 p.m.

Hayward and the Jazz will be just fine, wait and see. If the Jazz had passed on Hayward I guarantee Indiana was going to scoop him up. No, he probaly won't be a game changer at first, but if given time will more than earn his money. There will be other options out there between the start of the season and the trade deadline so PLEASE Jazz fans have some patience and lets make Hayward welcome here. After all it's not his fault he was selected at #9 and into our town. Character does play into who we want here in my opinion, of course talent does as well and I believe he will find his niche with our Jazz team.

• Jazzman72
    June 25, 2010 5:35 p.m.

I'm pulling for Hayward to do well. I just hope we're not looking back in two years and saying, "They should have picked "so and so" instead. I was reading one website's draft analysis, and they were saying the Raptors got a steal with Davis at 13. I hope they're wrong.

• scalman
    June 25, 2010 5:36 p.m.

No one really knows if Tomic is coming here next year except maybe Tomic himself. The Jazz will hopefully sign and continue to support Fesenko as he matures both as a person and as a force in the paint. But if it happens, Tomic/Fesenko/Milsap could make a special front line with Hayward moved to shooting guard, Miles being the quick offense sixth man, and D-Will doing what D-Will does. I hope Kirilenko stays through his contract, but he could land the Jazz a high draft choice if he leaves this year. I would like Hayward to have the chance to play with Kirilenko as much as possible, but Hayward is probably going to be with the Flash for first half of the season, anyway.

• byronbca
    June 25, 2010 5:47 p.m.

One positive that Heyward has is that the workout he had with Babbit, Henry and others was supposedly the best, most competitive workout the Jazz ever had. A lot of fans speculated who was the most impressive player in that workout. Now we know it was Heyward.

And with regards to Ed Davis: I have a hard time believing that Heyward’s Butler teammates were more talented than Davis’s NC teammates, yet Butler made it to the National Championship game, while NC didn’t even make the tourney. Just like Dwill did at Illinois.

Making your teammates better has to account for something. Right?

• Anonymous Infinity
    June 25, 2010 6:02 p.m.

You people who are buying into the notion that the Jazz will win a championship are living a LIE. Listen... Hayward is just as good a pick as any of the picks that followed the Jazz selection in terms of a fit for the franchise. This doesn't fall into the same category as Greg Ostertag and others who have had lackluster sojourns in Utah. As in the famous words of Karl Malone...."let's see what happen." The basic problem with the league is the officiating going to robocop style of phsicality calls/nocalls. The other problem is the financial structure of the game. The game has gotten to the point that is being priced out of markets. That is why smallish markets such as Utah will continue to hurt. Besides that in the words of several players over the years...."you play in Utah." Finally...why are certain teams called by state names? Why isn't it Oakland instead of Golden State; Salt Lake instead of Utah; Minneapolis instead of Minnesota; Indianapolis instead of Indiana, et al if I missed any? Let's get consistent!

• Jojo
    June 25, 2010 6:20 p.m.

Bad pick, now I don't have to worry about season tickets, I can purchase that shotgun I've always wanted!

• toddfromsantaana
    June 25, 2010 6:24 p.m.

Fedor thanks. I do not feel Gordon" will be a bust" either. HOWEVER!! I am sick of people saying, "Oh the Jazz did the best they could do because of the pick they had, the city they are in, no free agents want to come here, blah blah blah".

The Jazz did not need Gordon

The Jazz needed a defensive oriented, shot blocker, one on defender in the post or at forward with some low post capabilities offensively.

Ok City I feel had a much better draft for the 2 picks they have.,

Hayward allegedly has improved his shooting and has lit it up in camp, all star games and workouts.

He to me is a mid 1st round pick at best

We are awarre of Butler accomplishments, we are not under a rock.

That Big East Player defensive player of the year in the 2nd round a big guy the Jazz need more

You cannot "outscore" everyone"

This draft will not excite or entice Carlos Boozer to ever stay here, where a good big man might have, though we will never know.

He is a good player

However, not priority over other holes

• toddfromsantaana
    June 25, 2010 6:29 p.m.

Okafor type player helps us more to get closer to the lakers than our draft pick will who gets to sit and watch all year.

• JSB
    June 25, 2010 10:39 p.m.

Reading about the reaction of the Jazz fans and most of the reader's comments, my negative opinion of sports fans and most athletes is reinforced. Whatever the age, whether a participant or a fan, sports brings out the worst in people.

• Not Asleep
    June 29, 2010 9:55 a.m.

My understanding is that Indianapolis was going to pick Hayward if we didn't and OKC was going to pick him if Indiana didn't. Seems like KOC did the right thing.

• Not Asleep
    June 29, 2010 9:56 a.m.

I heard it on sports radio so it's got to be true.