Utah Jazz notebook: Experts see UNC's Ed Davis in Utah

Comments

• Captain L
    June 22, 2010 12:48 a.m.

I will be happy if the Jazz draft Udoh or Davis, Udoh has a much more developed game right now but Davis probably has more potential.
    On ESPN they had a players only mock draft where they asked players from each team who they think their team should draft. They asked Korver for the Jazz and he said Udoh. He would be my first choice but I like Davis too. Unless something unforeseen happens, I think one of those two should be available.
    Both Udoh and Davis would accomplish the goal of drafting a PF that is taller,and longer with a defensive mind set and that can block shots. Both of these guys can be what we need.

• TrueFan
    June 22, 2010 12:53 a.m.

In all honesty, if Udoh is available, and the Jazz pass on him, I'll be a bit bummed. Just saying.

I'm not a huge fan of Davis, Aldrich, Henry, or Hayward. Babbitt...he would be alright I guess. Aminu...I just wish he could shoot. Patterson...again, he would be alright.

I'd rather have Udoh though. He's the guy I want. I'm not going to hold out much hope though.

• Chuck Nunn
    June 22, 2010 1:08 a.m.

Since Chad Ford's name was invoked, maybe it's OK to mention that the Jazz Oracle also is picking Ed Davis to go at No. 9 overall to the Utah Jazz in Thursday's draft. Juss sayin' ...

• Anti Bush-Obama
    June 22, 2010 5:55 a.m.

I do not want Aminu. The last thing we need is another wing player that can't shoot.

• Bugoff
    June 22, 2010 7:06 a.m.

The Jazz have some good options and a few distractions. It sounds like they will do okay. Udoh, Babbit, Davis and Henry have reasonable probabilities of being starters and fix needs. Aminu may be higher risk but he also has a lot of potential.

There is also a small chance a top name will fall enough.

Aldrich would not be the end of the world but I doubt if he is much better than Fes/Koufos with playing time.

• mulrich
    June 22, 2010 8:40 a.m.

Please do not take Babbitt. We need defensive players, not shooters. The teams that win championships are those with strong defensive big men (Shaq, Duncan/Robinson, Wallace, etc). Babbitt will only magnify our weaknesses on the perimeter.

• WYoJazzFan
    June 22, 2010 8:42 a.m.

I have long said we need a BIG shot blocker. If the brass can trade AK and or Boozer to get better pick that would be the epitome of the planets aligning. Or if we could do a trade that would gain more picks in the first round that would help also. Worse case scenario is stay pat take a big that will work hard and block some shots. I hope Memo is healthy for next season, Boozer (I am ok with keeping him for his offense, because he is not the best defensive player) or better yet AK gets traded and we make lots of room in the cap to get a desent FA. I like Aldrich for his size but we need Monroe more. Then we can get big upfront move Milsap to SF Korver to SG, with Memo at PF and the draftee at C. Or maybe there is a chance to make some trades and get something higher in the second round where we have more success.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz
    June 22, 2010 9:07 a.m.

I don't know why because I haven't seen that much of either of them but I like Udoh more than Davis.

I think its because UNC was terrible and Baylor had their best season ever. Winners in college seem to win in the pros.

Well I guess Boozer won a NC in college but he is still a loser. Maybe it doesn't always work but if we can't get Monroe I'm hoping for Udoh.

• Portland Trail Blazers
    June 22, 2010 9:09 a.m.

yawn, noboady cares about the Jazz... Portland and OKC are the teams to watch, the Jazz are going nowhere...

• areyouinthere
    June 22, 2010 9:37 a.m.

Portland...hehehehehehe

• Captain L
    June 22, 2010 10:07 a.m.

Rumors are Detroit may take Udoh, if so Davis should be available.
    Wall
    Turner
    Favors
    Johnson
    Cousins
    Monroe
    Udoh
    Aminu
    Davis
    If we could get Udoh instead of Davis I would prefer that but I like Davis and would be happy with him.

• YourMom
    June 22, 2010 10:54 a.m.

Don't take Cousins if he falls. He's a head case. I would pick Davis.

• Portland Trail Blazers
    June 22, 2010 11:22 a.m.

We?

Why do you Jazz fans use words liek WE? Example: "We should draft Davis."

What have you Jazz fans done to use the word we? I didnt knwo all of you jazz fans were apart of the organization...

Just use, example: "the Jazz should draft Davis."

• LKA
    June 22, 2010 11:46 a.m.

@ Portland Trail Blazers: Because WE feel like a part of the team. The Jail Blazers can use the word :BUST" as in Oden and Bowie..

• BillM75
    June 22, 2010 11:46 a.m.

Cousins is the best big man prospect to come out in years. Davis is a good kid with some ability, but every expert also says "he's not ready to play."

• Large Tuna
    June 22, 2010 12:07 p.m.

Portland drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan, and Greg Oden over Kevin Durrant... you officially have zero room to talk about "us", end of story.

• Buzz
    June 22, 2010 12:31 p.m.

HAHAHAAH.. yeah Portland... you best keep your trap closed.

LOL

• byronbca
    June 22, 2010 12:48 p.m.

Re Portland:

Next time you criticize someone’s rhetoric you may want to have someone check your spelling, otherwise you look like a fool.

That being said if WE don’t trade up and Davis is available I think he’s the guy. But if WE stay at #9 WE need to try and get another pick in the first round. WE’re definitely going to be losing some key pieces this off-season.

• BillM75
    June 22, 2010 12:51 p.m.

The experts all say Davis is a good kid, hard worker, some talent...and is not ready to play in the NBA. Taking him over Cousins would be worse than Bowie over Jordan.

If Babbitt is BPA at 9, he should be picked as we need help everywhere. Boston didn't lose the Finals because of defense, they lost because Ray Allen went 3/14 in Game 7 while Kobe, Fish & Artest all hit big shots at the end.

Shaq & Duncan were also great offensive players. Ben Wallace was an anomaly on a flukey champ (albeit with two near-HOFers) and he was the best D player in the league by far those years.

There's also a lot more to D than raw block totals, which is why Whiteside will be such a bust. Just look at Thabeet & Manute Bol(RIP).

We need talented guys who try on D, not "good guys" who can't score. Got that already.

• byronbca
    June 22, 2010 1:02 p.m.

Re Large Tuna:

Don't forget about Portland trading the #3 pick to Utah so they could draft Martell Webster. Thank you so much Portland! We owe you so much.

• Portland Trail Blazers
    June 22, 2010 1:03 p.m.

Jazz could have drafted Chris Paul...Tony Parker.

Let's all be honest with ourselves, Portland is closer to winning a championship than Utah is and when Portland wins another with Roy, Oden, LA, batum, etc, it will be there 2nd, and the Jazz will still have zero championship banners...

LOL

Utah Jazz: an organization that always looks back on the past(Stockton, Malone, Miller) and hopes for a future that doesn't exist...

• byronbca
    June 22, 2010 1:20 p.m.

Re Portland:

You criticize Jazz fan’s rhetoric, yet your posts are littered with grammatical mistakes and spelling errors. Then you say Utah fans are living in the past while at the same time you bring up Portland’s last championship 15 years ago. Awesome!

• BillM75
    June 22, 2010 1:29 p.m.

Chris Paul was a supernova but now he's done. Parker is good but very dependent on Tim Duncan, who's also now done.

• Jazz2Win
    June 22, 2010 1:51 p.m.

The Jazz should trade up to get Monroe...if possible. He seems to fit in both skills and temperament.

• Big_Ben
    June 22, 2010 2:00 p.m.

@ byronbca

Portland's one and only championship came in the 1970's. So this guy is going back even further to his glory days. Its sad really.

• mulrich
    June 22, 2010 2:22 p.m.

BillM75
    I'd love to see Cousins drop to us. How much trouble can he get into in SLC?

"As for Babbitt, it's a lot easier to teach a great offensive player defense than the other way around. See Eaton, Mark."
    It's not so easy to teach defense to an offensive player either. See McGrady, Tracy or Suns, Phoenix.

I don't think Babbitt is 9th best player in the draft, but I'm betting you disagree. We have problems that I don't think he fixes.

I'm not sure if Allen shooting 3/14 cost them the game, but I'm betting giving up 23 offensive rebounds did. If Perkins was available instead of Wallace we'd likely have a different outcome.

Shaq & Duncan are freaks. There are so few players (especially bigs) that can dominate on both ends of the floor.

I don't care as much about blocks as I do raw effort and hustle. Milsap has both but is missing the size to really make a difference. I really don't want Whiteside. We need size and athleticism.

• Captain L
    June 22, 2010 2:31 p.m.

byronbca : it's rumored that Miami may want to dump their first round pick for cash to get farther under the cap. That's #18, that would be a good pickup, don't know how much it would cost though.

• Jazz Cop
    June 22, 2010 2:34 p.m.

portland is a first round playoff team and they have proven come playoffs they can't advance with broy dominating the ball, ok in regular season, not good playoff form, therefore, the jazz are closer to a champoionship because they can at least get out of the first round.

• Captain L
    June 22, 2010 3:04 p.m.

Ford has the Pistons taking Davis and then the Jazz taking Babbitt over Udoh, I like Babbitt but not enough to take him over Udoh. Come on Jazz take the tall, long , defensive, shot blocking Udoh. He is the perfect fit and player Korver says the Jazz should pick.

• mulrich
    June 22, 2010 3:40 p.m.

I'd be happy with either Udoh or Davis (or anyone on Captin L's first list).

Picking up the #18 pick depends on who's still available. There are a lot of players that could slip to that spot, in which case we should definitely make an offer. The draft boards are all over the place on a lot of players. Depending on the day there are some that even have Babbitt falling that far.

It might be better to spend that money on a veteran who we don't need to develop. We have a lot of young players already.

• Aggie84
    June 22, 2010 3:53 p.m.

I vote No on Babbit. The Aggies shut him down consistently. Plus, he is not athletic enough.

• JustAnotherAverageGuy
    June 22, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Does it really matter who we draft? Whoever it is will just sit the bench 90% of the time anyway.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but unless Sloan is backed into a corner because of injury, new guys just don't play for him. Heck, DWill was 3rd string his rookie year, behind Macleod and Palacio for Pete's sake! It wasn't until Macleod got hurt that DWill got enough PT for Sloan to see his mistake. Same thing with Matthews and Fes.

I hope we get a decent player, but more than that I hope Sloan realizes that whoever it is, he HAS to have PT to develop.

• 1tobeamup
    June 22, 2010 4:32 p.m.

I hope KOC is able to negotiate something to trade up to get Monroe or Udoh. There's been a lot of talk about how D-Will will bolt in 2 years if he doesn't see the organization really working toward a championship. Therefore, we need a player who can play NOW and who has the maturity to play for Jerry, not a young project.

• Portland Trail Blazers
    June 22, 2010 5:05 p.m.

Jazz Cop,

yeah congrats to the Jazz for making it out of the 2nd round, only to get sweep by the Lakers, no point an a complete waiste of time for the Lakers and enire NBA to have the Jazz still in the 2nd round.

• LKA
    June 22, 2010 5:44 p.m.

This Portland person is really Delray..

• BillM75
    June 22, 2010 6:02 p.m.

Mulrich, it IS easier to teach defense...assuming the effort is there. TMac & Amare never even tried, of course.

Whatever the Jazz do, they MUST get players who can play right away.

• jumpinjax
    June 22, 2010 7:17 p.m.

The Jazz need to find a way to get Cousins period. He by far has the most up-side, Go get him KOC

• Boozer Bandwagon
    June 22, 2010 8:05 p.m.

Davis will likely be gone by the time the Jazz pick at 9. Detroit will likely take him at 7, the Clippers have promise Aminu a guarantee at number 8, Ekpe Udoh could go to Golden State at 6 which means Monroe may slide to us.

• Jazz Cop
    June 22, 2010 10:34 p.m.

@portland-utah, already a better team, is getting better with a #9 in a draft with alot of pwfowards, ya it sure was fun watching la, dre miller, get shut down, at the end of the day it is what it is, portland isn't that good of a team, can't ever get out of the first round.

• True Blue
    June 22, 2010 11:14 p.m.

The Jazz need a true center and there aren't any in this draft that will make an immediate impact. I hope they go after Brendon Haywood. He's an unrestricted free agent. He would be a good defensive presence down low.