Utah

Poll shows Tim Bridgewater ahead of Mike Lee in tight U.S. Senate race

Comments

• Wally Ballou
    June 18, 2010 6:38 p.m.

Too bad Utah doesn't have a binding "None of the Above" on the ballot - then we could start all over!

• Sal
    June 18, 2010 6:46 p.m.

I'm voting for Bridgewater because Bennett supports him. It's the least I can do to frustrate the extremist delegates who ousted Bennett. Lee is too conservative, too rigid. He won't be able to work with the other party.

• Had Enough
    June 18, 2010 6:54 p.m.

Good for Tim Bridgewater. I hope Dan's more accurate in this poll than he was in calling the Chaffetz race a couple of years ago.....

• Had Enough
    June 18, 2010 6:55 p.m.

Go Tim! Let's hope the lead holds.

• Lewis
    June 18, 2010 7:20 p.m.

How exactly do you want our senator to work with Obama? Be more liberal? That is ridiculous! We need a real true conservative to stand up to Obama, not go along with him - that is Mike Lee.

• Samantha187
    June 18, 2010 7:34 p.m.

Mike has been pulling it out over the last week! Way to go Mike! You are rockin it. Me, my family and all my extended family are going out to vote for you.

• KevinG
    June 18, 2010 7:35 p.m.

Unfortunately for Bridgewater he had high rankings early in the week and then towards the end of the poll Lee started gainging. Bridgewaters extreme negativity and bold faced lies are going to lose him this election. Just like the last 27 he's been in. Dan Jones couldn't get a poll of children who want a lollipop accurate. This poll means nothing.

• afraidofstupidity
    June 18, 2010 7:39 p.m.

I hate polls. It's so hard to know how legit they really are. Especially when this one was SO wrong, something like 20% wrong, a couple years ago in the Chaffetz and Cannon race.

I don't really know who will win this one, but read my screen name and know that I'm afraid of Tim Bridgewater. I can't believe how crazy he's acting lately. What is it with his campaign really thinking that people will believe this madness about EnergySolutions and Mike Lee getting Bob Lonsberry fired?! That is SO ridiculous.

• Lewis
    June 18, 2010 7:49 p.m.

Two problems with this poll. First, when you only poll about 500 people, it is hard to represent all the people involved. Also, with 25% undecided, this is totally up for grabs.

• geewiz
    June 18, 2010 8:49 p.m.

Polls are interesting. Two other polls this week, one done for the Lee camp and one by a group supporting him show similar numbers, only favoring Lee. With margins of error at 4 percent, I think it's going to be a close race.

I hope Lee wins! He is the true consistent conservative, and his expertise on Constitutional law is amazing. We need him to fight the liberals in Washington.

• Utah_1
    June 18, 2010 9:10 p.m.

Tim Bridgewater

I have watched Tim for over a year, and I believe he is the best US Senate candidate in the primary. Tim's attitude and methods and his actions have impressed me. Words alone are not enough.

• plyxply
    June 18, 2010 9:42 p.m.

There are enough attorneys in Washington and Bridgewater is a strong conservative and has run a solid well paced campaign.

Good luck Tim, you'll be a great leader.

• Older Reader
    June 18, 2010 9:49 p.m.

Lee has been part of the problem in Washington. He is too close to the system. He is a lobbyist and we don't need that.

• jtsummie
    June 18, 2010 9:59 p.m.

"A true conservative?" What's that, I'm sick of all the slogan, titles, and headlines. I just hope people do their own research and find out for themselves who they think would be best.

• first2third
    June 18, 2010 10:18 p.m.

A true conservative says no to every form of government spending except for national defense including protecting the borders. They don't need much money to run the government so they cut taxes. That pretty much sums it up.

• DN Subscriber
    June 18, 2010 10:24 p.m.

Lee's negative ads were the deciding factor for me.

We don't need more lawyers back there, especially those with close ties to lots of career politicians.

Bridgewater's business dealings do not upset me at all. He was not the one to pass the laws, and he was advising his clients how to comply with them, much as a lawyer works the law to his client's advantage, even though he may not pass a similar law if he were in that business.

Bridgwater has the energy and drive to fight the Obama administration tooth and nail, and will be less concerned about pleasing political cronies than Lee.

I'm voting Bridgewater!

• verum peto
    June 18, 2010 10:55 p.m.

With Utah being one of, if not the most conservative state in the union, it's about time we have a Senator that will religiously defend the Constitution. Mike Lee is the only one in the race able to do this.

Mike Lee's whole career has been focused on getting the federal government OUT of our lives, and he can do that for us, as Senator from Utah.

Mike Lee will bring the constitution back to the debates in the senate,

That's why I support Mike Lee.

• Conservative Veteran
    June 18, 2010 10:57 p.m.

Most of the comments here are from individuals who have already decided who they are voting for. The facts are these.

1. This is a small sample size for a statewide race.

2. 25% are still undecided - according to the poll.

3. Whoever wins this primary will be the next Senator from Utah.

All we can really say at this point is that no one (who is being honest) has a clue regarding which will pull off the win on Tuesday.

I wonder if there is any information regarding those who have already voted early - regarding how these two are stacking up for early voters?

• Captain Morgan
    June 18, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Can Mike Lee, the lawyer who works for Energy Solutions, represent the citizens of Utah when it comes to tough decisions concerning nuclear waste without being influenced by his employer: Energy Solutions??? I seriously doubt it!!!

I'm voting for Tim Bridgewater. It's a no brainer.

• Lewis
    June 19, 2010 12:16 a.m.

• Utah_1
    June 19, 2010 1:35 a.m.

Bridgewater. I hope he wins.

• Smith9294
    June 19, 2010 2:53 a.m.

The fact that Bennett supports Bridgewater is enough for me to vote for Lee. One of the best things I've done recently was to become a state delegate and vote Bennett out.

Go Mike Lee!!!!!

• MormonDem
    June 19, 2010 4:05 a.m.

I just hope Bridgewater and Lee fight it out so ugly and out-crazy each other enough to show Utahns that Sam Granato is the only mainstream moderate running for Senate.

• afraidofstupidity
    June 19, 2010 4:47 a.m.

I'm voting for Mike Lee.

Utah_1 hopes we'll think they're two different people if they space their comments out enough?

Although, I will say in Utah_1's defense, at least their tactic of supporting Bridgewater isn't like all the other Bwater supporters who only attack Lee. It's the NEGATIVE CAMPAIGNING of BRIDGEWATER that make me support Lee all the more.

I personally vote on issues and the actions and positions of the candidates. Mike has won me over in that regard. I've found him to be the candidate I can trust to represent my conservative values.

Bridgewater would have clearly lost my vote due to lumping me, an aspiring lawyer, into this group of fiends that he's imagined all lawyers to be. Thanks, Tim. I'll play that game, too. Uh... All businessmen make terrible U.S. Senators. At least, that's based on Tim.

• cterry
    June 19, 2010 6:58 a.m.

We need a conservative attorney in washington who can stand up to all the liberal attorneys and tell them why their bills are unconstitutional. Thats why we need Mike Lee.

We need to stop the insane spending through earmarks and subsidies that Tim bridgewater uses to make a fortune in his business. That's why we cant trust Bridgewater. Will he really make his business practices illegal. Really? Ya Right.

Folks, do you have any idea how close the US is to being bankrupt? Everyone says our debt is unstainable. What does that mean? We will be bankrupt within 6 years. Time to make some hard decisions in washington and start sacrificing.

• James T.
    June 19, 2010 7:24 a.m.

Lewis: OF COURSE Lee changed his position on keeping waste out of Utah when he saw the poll numbers. Starting three months ago and going right through November 2, he will say anything he feels he needs to say to get elected. He won't be bound by any of it, but he'll say it.

I voted (early) for the guy who can run a business and balance his personal checkbook- that's Bridgewater- and that's what we need in Washington.

• conservativemom
    June 19, 2010 7:31 a.m.

2 thoughts:

1- All the attacks on Bridgewater are from outside of Utah who want Mike Lee to be our next Senator, why?

2- ALL of Mike Lee's pro-endorsements are from out of state 'conservatives' except Morgan Philpot (don't get the advantage of that Mr. Philphot?), while Mr. Bridgewater's pro-endorsements come from Utah citizens?

So do we want our next Senator who is in league (for whatever reason, cough Depleted Uranium to Utah, cough) with outsiders or Utahns?

• goatesnotes
    June 19, 2010 7:34 a.m.

I am voting for Mike Lee on the basis of the most critical element in the race: Which candidate is more likely to shake things up in the Senate?

The clear choice is Mike Lee. I'm tired of politics as usual in Washington D.C., I'm tired of political party hacks, and I'm tired of empty suits who are in awe of the traditional power brokers. In short, that's one of the most compelling reasons I LIKE MIKE.

One more thing: Bridgewater brought down the house in cheers at the nominating convention with a statement that he would advocate for the U.S. pulling out of the United Nations and defunding our participation.

It might have drawn cheers among the rabid conservatives at the convention, but PUHLEEZ -- is that a viable and responsible position for an aspiring Senator of the United States? I think not.

• homers
    June 19, 2010 9:12 a.m.

These guys are both taking a lot of positions that will be impossible to deliver on. If either one of them go back to DC and try to govern the way they have promised to govern they will be the most Innefective members of the Senate. Sadly, we sometimes get so caught up in the rhetoric that we don't remember that our national government was set up to create tensions between competing interests - some call it compromise and others may call it give and take or pragmatism. Call it what you will but dogmatic members of Congress solve no problems. Do you want a cheerleader or a truth teller. Both Lee and Bridgewater have been cheerleaders and that is why the convention crowd chose them. Unlfortunately, in our day and age, truth tellers don't usually get elected because we don't generally like what they have to say.

• Cherilyn Eagar
    June 19, 2010 9:47 a.m.

@Smith9294 Mike Lee has some questionable progressive endorsements of his own. A few are: Mark Shurtleff, Norm Bangerter, Dick Armey (Mr. Amnesty and big DC lobbyist) and one of the architects of the "Big Tent" of the 90s that undermined our would-be strong conservative Republican coalition.

• Warren Kay
    June 19, 2010 10:37 a.m.

This senate seat is but 1 out of 100. The better representation for Utah will come from that person most effective in vigorously debating our views and that person more successful in swaying other's opinion. I'm voting for Mike Lee as I think he will simply be more effective in congress. Plus, he is not compromised by his past. 'Businessmen' (even if they have taken a lot of government earmarks!) are more successful in chief executive type rolls - i.e. governor - than they are in legislative rolls where coalitions need to be formed. Go MIKE - keep building the momentum!

• Elk1970
    June 19, 2010 10:42 a.m.

Count me as one who has been turned off by Bridgewater's negative campaigning. I am one that will not let this millionaire businessmen by my vote!

• Clarissa
    June 19, 2010 11:01 a.m.

The reason I'll probably vote for Mike Lee is that he has more experience and knows his constitional law which we need so badly these days. You need experience to get anywhere in Washington.

• gattagirl
    June 19, 2010 11:27 a.m.

Mike Lee is in bed with Energy Solutions. The reason Mike Pense the Senator from South Carolina is supporting him is because Energy Solutions also has an office in South Carolina. Mike Lee bows to whoever is paying the paycheck. One minute he is fighting to keep radioactive waste out of Utah when he works for the governor and then turns around and fights against the will of the people of Utah as an attorney for Energy Solutions. Money talks and regardless of the Constitution, Mike Lee will follow whoever has the money. He is also accused of being behind Bob Lonsberry's firing. Can't trust this guy. True Conservative? Why no legitimate LOCAL Conservative endorsements?

• UtahnForLiberty
    June 19, 2010 11:55 a.m.

Bob Lonsberry is an anti-liberty militarist, and I am glad to see him off Utah's airwaves.

Mike Lee's work as a clerk for Justice Sam Alito concerns me that he's one of these conservatives who cynically states they support only constitutional legislation, knowing full well that the federal courts will find almost any obnoxious practice of the federal government constitutional. So, the constitution is no obstacle to the statist agenda of these conservatives.

That said, Tim Bridgewater's corporate welfare track record, and endorsements by fellow corporate welfarists, concerns me more. These folks have no loyalty but to Mammon, and intend to loot America's wealth until there is nothing left.

I'm an independent, but I may just end up changing my party affiliation for this primary to vote for Mike Lee.

• James T.
    June 19, 2010 12:01 p.m.

Clarissa: you must have a strange definition of "experience.". If by that you mean studying the law and theorizing about principles and the like with your dad's constitutional lawyer buddies, Mike Lee is your guy.

I don't know how Lee can make laws looking out for business and capitalism when he has no actual "experience" creating jobs or running a business.

I know he's a smart-ish dude, but with him and his brother and Huntsman junior and some of the Mathesons, I can't help but think: where would you be if your last name was Jones and your dad was a plumber?

I like that Bridgewater made it on his own. He's incredibly creative and entrepreneurial.

• Richie
    June 19, 2010 1:45 p.m.

Lee is just another mud slinging lawyer. He reminds me of a conservative Obama Vote Bridgewater

• reader1234
    June 19, 2010 2:16 p.m.

I like both of them but I will vote for Lee.

• x
    June 19, 2010 2:20 p.m.

I listened to the debate on KSL this week. Lee totally outclassed Bridgewater, was more eloquent and comfortable in his answers, and didn't take Bridgewater's bait to descend into mudslinging. I'm not sure why there is even a contest!

• Furry1993
    June 19, 2010 3:00 p.m.

To Lewis | 12:16 a.m. June 19, 2010

***Actually Lee has already said that he is in favor of changing the law to keep waste out.***

But only after Lee's client, Energy Solutions, gets to bring ITS nuclear waste in. Lee is nothing more or less than an Energy Solutions shill. I don't like Brudgewater (he's also owned by the tea party), but Lee is far worse. Utah deserves better than either of them.

• Er Jo
    June 19, 2010 3:23 p.m.

Mike Lee has been the negative campaigner here, not Bridgewater. He's tried to pin a lot of distortion on Bridgwater's business and positions. The worst thing I've heard Bridgewater say about Mike Lee is that he is a lawyer, which is obviously true - that's not negative campaigning.

Unfortunately Mike Lee has the habit of crying whenever anything makes him look bad and blames it on Bridgewater when it's actually been caused by others or by Mike Lee himself.

We need a senator in the Senate, so I'm voting for Bridgewater.

• Concerned and Involved
    June 19, 2010 4:41 p.m.

It is time for someone with the ability to do the right thing for Utah!!! Vote Bridgewater! Lee has NO substance whatsoever!

• Warren Kay
    June 19, 2010 4:42 p.m.

I think both are good men. However, I think Lee would be a far better senator. It seems to me, that so much of a senator means working within a caucus, debating, building coalitions, understanding the law, creating new law, etc. As much as lawyers are vitriolized for being lawyers, they simply make a better legislator than businessmen.

I lived in NJ when Jon Corzine, a big bank businessman, was elected to the senate. It was an altogether frustrating process for him. He was not effective because he was not in charge, he was not a chief executive. He resigned the office and ran/became governor something he was much more suited for.

Lawyers = better legislators, whether you like them or not (and I generally don't like the profession though they've been very useful to me at times). Businessmen = better governors, if they choose public service.

Regardless, both of these are good men that are in the heat of a political battle. Let's not castigate either of them for fighting a good battle.

• NGA
    June 19, 2010 4:44 p.m.

I used to think these two candidates were virtually identical until I learned about Mike Lee's relationship with Energy Solutions. Do we really want him to represent us when 80% of Utahns are against dumping nuclear waste in Utah?! If Mike Lee can switch his tune so quickly and go against Utah's best interests for money, I fear what he will do in Washington when he's asked to compromise his ideals. I already voted for Bridgewater. Easy decision for me!

• Samuel Adams
    June 19, 2010 5:12 p.m.

I'm getting tired of all the messages on my answering machine trashing Mike Lee. Bridgewater must be desperate.

• Brian the engineer
    June 19, 2010 6:11 p.m.

The best candidate for U.S. Senate from Utah is... neither Lee nor Bridgewater (nor Granato).

Of the three, however, I'm going with Bridgewater. He appears slightly more practical and realistic than Lee.

• CandaceSalima
    June 19, 2010 6:42 p.m.

I'm voting for Mike Lee, as are hundreds of my friends and associates. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out on Tuesday. I'm personally very confident that Mike Lee will emerge as the winner. But not being psychic, I cannot guarantee that. I just know I'm working hard to make sure it happens.

• first2third
    June 19, 2010 7:41 p.m.

I was going to vote Bridgewater until I received and email, phone call, and mailer that bashed Lee. I hate negative campaigning unless it is on issues. All three forms of Bridgewater propaganda railed on Lee for two reasons. 1. HE is a Lawyer...so what...doesn't the senate make laws last time I checked, what's the big deal? 2. He once represented energy solutions...again so what? Bridgewater's company accepted federal funds..so what? Bridgewater is not campaigning on issues he is tearing down a fellow republican for being a Lawyer...you got to be kidding me...I am voting for Lee.

• uvbogden
    June 19, 2010 9:34 p.m.

The State of Utah expressed its desire to have EnergySolutions bring jobs, industry and tax revenues to Utah by licensing and taxing ES’s business for storing low-level waste. EnergySolutions then contracted with Italy to import low-level waste to be stored at the Utah site. Some in Utah objected to the origin of the low-level waste being foreign, and wanted Utah to “change its mind”, and, after the fact, refuse to uphold its end of the agreement.

All powers not specifically granted to the federal government in the Constitution (i.e. national defense, foreign trade) are granted to “the States or to the people”. Mike Lee has been true to the Constitution, arguing on the one hand, that States have the power to decide if they will take any low-level waste (as Utah did when it licensed and taxed ES), while on the other hand, only the federal government can decide if the origin of the waste is foreign (regulating foreign trade). This proper designation of powers is prescribed by the Constitution, and Mike’s efforts on behalf of Governor Huntsman and ES have all been consistent with this inspired document.

• uvbogden
    June 19, 2010 9:58 p.m.

I received a taped phone message from Tim Bridgewater today in which Tim referred me to his website for facts refuting the Mike Lee ads characterizing Tim as a supporter of Washington big-spending. On Tim’s website, he readily ADMITS that he still supports the big-spending entitlement of Medicare Part D, and the federal government’s intrusion on the States with No Child Left Behind, with the exception that he believes Washington should have funded, instead of borrowed, the money for these programs.

While it’s commendable that Tim would prefer not to borrow money for big entitlements and big-government spending, rather than refute the charge against him, Bridgewater has confirmed that he is a dedicated, Washington big-spender. We need a true conservative, like Mike Lee, to be our Senator and fight for reduced spending and limiting the federal government to the powers granted it by the Constitution.

• WHAT NOW?
    June 19, 2010 10:07 p.m.

Energy Solutions/Mike Lee

Mike Lee/Lawyer

Obama/Lawyer

We have enough "lawyers" in DC.

WE need someone with business expertise.

Tim Bridgewater has my vote.

• my slc
    June 19, 2010 11:20 p.m.

Utah, you are getting the senator and representation you deserve by voting republican.

One is a bat crazy libertarian; the other is not quite so crazy…

Either way, you have just reinforced your status as another fly over state.

Do you really think that anything these guys say or do in DC will matter? Really?

I am afraid the days are dark for Utah in federal government input.

• uvbogden
    June 20, 2010 12:13 a.m.

• LeeAnne
    June 20, 2010 9:13 p.m.

Just because someone says your being "negative" doesn't mean you are.

I have been watching and the person I keep SEEING being negative is Bridgwater (and the his supporter's posts). The two flyers I just got were totally annoying, and the harsh calls are getting old. I'm sure the voters will SEE what is going on, and not just what they are told.