Utah

Sen. Bob Bennett says he will not attempt write-in campaign

Comments

• Fiscal Hawk
    May 20, 2010 10:45 a.m.

Good move, Bob. Hopefully the other incumbents who are voted out will follow your wise example.

• Johnny Triumph
    May 20, 2010 10:54 a.m.

Doesn't mean we can't write him in. We need experienced voices in Washington that won't get walked all over like newbies will.

• wjalden
    May 20, 2010 10:54 a.m.

Bennett may finally be coming around to an understanding of why he was defeated to begin with.

Thanks for your service, Senator.

• Brightenpath
    May 20, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Senator Bennett, I'd vote for. Not his replacement.

• We the People
    May 20, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Goodbye, Senator.

• NWCL INDP
    May 20, 2010 10:59 a.m.

If Utah the Republican party didn't have such a fear hold on people, I would love to see Bennett run as an Independent. But, the political system (which encourgaes people to vote only along political lines) and the ignorance of many people (thinking they should vote for a party, instead of a person and their credentials and beliefs) doesn't seem to work, here. It is both frightening and a shame.

• facts_r_stubborn
    May 20, 2010 11:02 a.m.

Thanks to Senator Bennett for his 18 years of exceptional service to the people of Utah and the nation. You have accomplished much on a variety of issues and in defending Utah interests including important Utah/federal land use issues. In the last two years, you made politically courageous decisions in supporting the Bush TARP and in offering a free market and state regulated alternative to Obamacare. I agree with both those decisions. You still have much to fight for before leaving office.

There is still much to be done. The next senator from Utah needs to be a quick learner. There are many important issues at stake. Let's show up at the polls and may the best candidate win.

• i am hank
    May 20, 2010 11:10 a.m.

Enter comment
    Thank you, Senator Bennett, for your years of dedicated service to Utah and to the nation. While I wish you would run, I respect and understand your decision not to. It demonstrates to me that you are truly a statesman who can see the bigger picture. I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do in the future.

As a sign of respect and gratitude for your service, I will still be writing your name in on June 22.

• Utah_1
    May 20, 2010 11:32 a.m.

re: i am hank,
    Writing him in June 22nd wouldn't do any good.
    He can't and won't get the GOP nominee.

If you really want Bennett, write or type him in November 2nd.

• Haiku
    May 20, 2010 11:34 a.m.

A decision made
    Late can nevertheless be
    A good decision.

• Jash
    May 20, 2010 11:35 a.m.

Thanks Bob!

Get ready for that presedential bid in 2012!

• Stephen
    May 20, 2010 11:36 a.m.

Thanks Senator,

I really am sorry to see you go, and truly wish that more people would have had a direct say in the matter since your candidacy did have direct consequences on our lives. You've represented the state well, and have been fine example of a Conservative individual not driven by ideology.

I only hope the others can do the same and put the good of the country over the whims of these interest groups that have too much nomination power.

• lket
    May 20, 2010 11:37 a.m.

sad that modeates are being trashed so we can go to another swing instead of doing what is right by our people.

• Madden
    May 20, 2010 11:39 a.m.

A wise move.

Sadly, from his comments I still don't think he understands that he was a contributor to the toxic political environment...the GOP has failed miserably to follow through on their promises and principles.

• goatesnotes
    May 20, 2010 11:57 a.m.

Thanks to Senator Bennett for eighteen years of dedicated service to Utahns. The only sad part is that he could have exited gracefully of his own accord. That said, he's a good man and we're all better for his contribution.

• Mike in Sandy
    May 20, 2010 12:13 p.m.

Good. Save yourself the embarrassment. Go plant a garden. Go fishing. Go away.

• sid 6.7
    May 20, 2010 12:26 p.m.

Ahhh ultra-conservative Tea Party fear mongers. You guys have really stepped into it this time. Did you seriously just kick this guy out? Do any of you realize what your misguided anger and haste have done not only to the citizens of this state but to your own party as well? You sent a much respected and very well connected Senator packing? And for what? One of two guys that it will take the next 20 years to get where the guy you just kicked out was, if they’re that good that is.

It's going to be awesome watching you guys implode of the next couple of years.

• John Wicks
    May 20, 2010 12:35 p.m.

Good. No more voting for a pay increase!!!

• aljmac
    May 20, 2010 12:38 p.m.

Meh. I'll probably write him in anyway.

• cjb
    May 20, 2010 12:59 p.m.

I'd have made the same decision given that he is 75 years old, I would want to take life easy.

The one take away from all this is we should change the electoral process so that a minority of conservative (or liberal) Utahns never again get thier way over the wished of the majority.

• T. Party
    May 20, 2010 1:16 p.m.

@sid 6.7

1) You're assuming something that's not true about my political affiliation.

2) If one of these guys gets in 20 years to where Bennett is now, it'll be time to kick him out, too.

• Redballhog
    May 20, 2010 1:34 p.m.

So sorry. i liked him. I'll write him in in November, just to make my point.

• apache1
    May 20, 2010 1:36 p.m.

I am glad for the good he did for the state of Utah, that being said he should have simply kept his word when he said he would only run for two terms and all this humiliation and embarrasment for him and his family could have been avoided. I am so tired of politicans who will not keep their word which seems to be quite a few these days. I would suggest if he wants to serve people that he pack his bags and go on a mission for his church, it will get him out of the public eye and allow time for us to forget about him and get his tail out from between his legs.

• homers
    May 20, 2010 1:39 p.m.

Mike in Sandy: show some class for once in your life. Nobody likes to see someone get kicked when they are down - it is one of the basest attributes of human nature. You appear to be the kind of guy who would beat someone and then make fun of them. Classless, classless.

• track coach
    May 20, 2010 1:44 p.m.

This is simple

To Senator Bennett sad to see you go!

To those of the far right wing of the republican party, your not getting me to vote for choice for senate...I will still write in Bob Bennett as my choice.....because it is the right thing to do for our state.

• activ2004
    May 20, 2010 2:12 p.m.

“TRANSPARENTLY”, the following is [not] endorsed by Sen. Bennett or the Deseret News; "I alone accept full responsibility"……

Considering [THE OBAMA, REID, PELOSI APOLOGIST'S] Mr. Lee, Mr. Bridgewater nor Mr. Chaffetz denounced (rather graciously accepted) the outside LIES and vitriol levied at Sen. Bennett and using that as the standard of [their] level of integrity to the state of Utah, I have no other choice then to denounce those who are hell-bent on increasing Utah's unemployment and economic downward spiral to bankruptcy, by using my Constitutional guaranteed right to Write-In Sen. Bennett.

America ‘HAS ALWAYS’ set her sails [against] the winds of oppression and tyranny (UNTIL REID, PELOSI, OBAMA), and I will stand up to those who float on the winds of “HOPE AND CHANGE” who are uncompromisingly [using] Mr. Chaffetz and are going to uncompromisingly [use] Mr. Lee or Mr. Bridgewater to further the downward degeneration of Utah and THE UNITED STATES of America.

Look at where the winds of "HOPE AND CHANGE" have gotten us….. (China ‘spending’ America’s future prosperity) Quit being tossed to and fro by the deceptive wind devils of the [OBAMA, REID, PELOSI] "REGIME"!

• Cats
    May 20, 2010 2:23 p.m.

To all you nasty people on here...I hope you're proud of yourselves for kicking someone when he's down.

Senator Bennett is an excellent Senator and a very good man. I will be supporting whoever wins the nomination and either one will be excellent.

Let's keep fighting for our country against the administration in Washington that's trying to bring us down.

We have just begun to fight.

• AT
    May 20, 2010 3:21 p.m.

Bob, your recent vote AGAINST auditing the fed just confirms how out-of-touch you are. You care more about the banksters than the people you supposedly represent. Enjoy retirement. It's good to see you go.

• 2 bits
    May 20, 2010 3:30 p.m.

I agree Bennett has served well. I applaud him for moving on with dignity.

If I were him I'd see this as a blessing in disguise. I can't think of ANYTHING I'd like less than being his age and having to run another tiring and contentious campaign. Dealing with the media, rabid partisans, bickering matches with opponents, the TOXIC atmosphere in Washington, etc.

Maybe now he can retire and enjoy the rest of his life and look back on his accomplishments.

Nobody should have to be a politician their WHOLE life.

• Question
    May 20, 2010 3:31 p.m.

Johnny Triumph | 10:54 a.m.

What if you write him in... he wins... and he won't go?

What if he decides he LIKES the idea of retiremnt?

• JMT
    May 20, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Dang, wanted to beat him twice in one year.

• 2 bits
    May 20, 2010 4:28 p.m.

JMT | 4:10 p.m. just sharin' the often-touted liberal-love-tolerance-and-compassion, right?

That's what I call class.

• Demisana
    May 20, 2010 5:36 p.m.

I'm sure he's a good man.

Unfortunately, he's forgotten the oath he took to uphold the Constitution. He's voted for a lot of stuff that should never have passed, and ought to be thrown out by the SCOTUS (yeah, I know, good luck with that...). Just because he's in good company with the 99% of the other Congressmen who ALSO don't uphold the Constitution, and he's a leader among them for his seniority, is no reason to send him back again. The longer any of them are there, the worse they all get, no matter how principled or good they were to begin with.

If we can't get term limits in the Constitution, by all means let's get it in at the ballot box.

Enjoy your retirement, sir. You'll probably get appointed to something anyway.

• Uncle Rico
    May 20, 2010 5:44 p.m.

Bob's "write in" vote campaign would have fallen short anyway. I regret taking the time to listen to his "speech" on KSL today. Nice of Bob to point out how his potential earnings are significantly larger in the private sector. Just don't forget Bob, who put you in the public sector so you could reap those benefits.

• C. Darwin
    May 20, 2010 6:03 p.m.

Bob, if you had not lost touch with want Utahns want you would be returing to Washington to finish your carrer. You just would not listen to what your state citizens were telling you.

• Teha Rangi
    May 20, 2010 6:12 p.m.

After reading all of the ill-informed, bigoted, nonsensical, hate-monger comments against Sentator Bennett, I'm trying to remember why I moved back to Utah.

Funning thing, though. In the Northwest I was considered a John Bircher. Here in my home state I am regarded as a communist.

Guess I must be just about right.

• Esquire
    May 20, 2010 7:14 p.m.

Pity. Spoil sport.

• DN Subscriber
    May 20, 2010 11:03 p.m.

Right choice.

Thanks for your service.

Hope we will see you supporting the Republican nominee after the primary.

Now, even though you are a lame duck, you still have the power to slow down or stop much of Obama's agenda. You don't need to worry about ticking off Harry Reid or other senators, or the news media.

Do what you know needs to be done, even if it is violates the chummy traditions. We must stop the destruction of our country by Obama and his pals. Object to every single "unanimous consent" request, if nothing else. Maybe if you had been fighting harder you would have won more delegates.

• utah state graduate
    May 21, 2010 12:50 a.m.

I think it is high time that senators and representatives realized that when they win office it doesn't mean they will stay in office for life. The seat doesn't have their name permanently written on it. Edward Kennedy was replacable--even by a Republican. These congressional people need to start listening to their constuency and stop doing only what they want to do. I hope most of the incumbents get beaten.

• JMT
    May 21, 2010 4:57 a.m.

2 bits, thats funny!The touchy feely life you share must rock you to sleep at night with tears of joy.

Bob has added tens of trillions of debt and obligation to our lives. The harm he added...

What is soooooo ironic about my leftist, marxist buddies across America is they have spent years attacking Bush and his policies of invading the world, massive debt, etc and now they cry as his henchmen are removed from office. Make up your mind. Did you love or hate the Bush years, multiple Bush doctrines, etc. Which is it?????

I for one thought the Bush years were horrible in many different ways. They have brought us to where we are at now. As part of this, I want his cronies gone with or without the graceful exit. This means Bob thrown out on his ear.

No, he was fired. I am not going to romanticize it. He was fired for supporting almost every single hair brained big government, Washington scheme even half thought of.

Sorry you can't make your mind.

• Alan
    May 21, 2010 7:03 a.m.

Senator Bennett is a very intelligent man who has been able to seek and find compromise and has represented Utah with dignity.

Unfortunately, that dignity seems to have been lost during this campaign as Senator Bennett spent so much of his time doing negative campaigning against the other candidates, especially Mike Lee. The campaign was "toxic" in large part because he made it that way.

We need someone who will be an uncompromising voice for a smaller government, and end to entitlements, personal responsibility, and a return to fiscal responsibility.

That's why I'm voting for Mike Lee.

• youngsterz
    May 21, 2010 7:43 a.m.

As a write in, he wouldn't have received more than 5% of the vote, so . . good decision there Bob.

"Anyone but Bob" is better than Bob, because a new guy isn't connected well enough to the establishment to be able to spend nearly as much as Bennett was spending.

The question is whether you think this is a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously, I think it is an improvement to NOT spend more.

The whole bit about a possible Bennett endorsement for Granato was hilarious. See, those Dems DO have a sense of humor!

• facts_r_stubborn
    May 21, 2010 7:57 a.m.

JMT,

Again, I'll challenge the ungrounded nonsense posted on these threads.

Isn't it interesting that the one thing that would make a lasting difference on not only reducing the deficit but also the size of government would be to truly deal with entitlement programs like social security, medicare, medicaid and now Obamacare. All these were passed under a Democratic Congress. The first three with a Democratic majority in both the house and Senate that existed almost un-interrupted during this period for 52 years.

At the beginning of Bush II's term projections were for annual balanced budgets and a balanced budget overall within a few years. What happened? Massive new Republican spending programs, or new social programs? Not! Fiscal policy are not the only factors affecting tax revenue and the deficit. There is also an independent Fed affecting monetary policy, and the economic cycles themselves.

In 2002 we had a little event called 911. Then we had accounting scandals, bankruptcies and a recession.

Now without a 60 seat filibuster proof majority the Republicans had a hard time addressing the big issues, but there were significant attempts to simplify tax policy and take on entitlements.

• facts_r_stubborn
    May 21, 2010 8:04 a.m.

Having stated the facts about entitlement programs being the only place to get the size of government and the deficit under control, it is also very interesting to me that many conservatives including those on the far right are completely unwilling to consider entitlement reforms.

Any you think politicians are the problem? They are just listening to the American people, who say do not touch my social security check and medicare reimbursement. The same people who are complaining about Obamacare don't realize that already, 50% of medical costs in this country are controlled by the federal government under medicare and medicaid and we are all forced to buy it.

Anyone who is really sincere, informed and serious about reducing the size of the deficit, needs to support reforming these entitlement programs.

Mark my words, we will never reduce the size of government until we are willing to take one for the team on big government entitlement programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and now Obamacare.

Being willing to sacrifice earmarks for our state, cut military spending or any other federal program other than entitlements just won't get it done.

• Furry1993
    May 21, 2010 8:19 a.m.

Thank you for your service, Senator Bennett.

Much as I didn't want the Senator in office, I want the two competing for the Republican slot on the general election ballot even less. Senator Bennett, at least, worked for what he believed to be the best for the United States and Utah. Lee and Bridgewater will be working for what is best for the Republican Party, and to heck with what's best for the country and state and people.

We don't need Lee and Bridgewater infinitely more than we didn't need Bennett. I see no indication that either would reach the level of mediocre, much less any higher level. They would work for the benefit of the tea party or Energy Solutions or the Republican Party, and not the people they are supposed to represent. The people of this state and country deserve better.

• Smith9294
    May 21, 2010 8:53 a.m.

The use of Bob's word "career" to describe what has ended accurately describes how he approached his political life. Rather than public service, it was a self-serving career, one that he was not ready to retire from.

I would love for some pro-Bennett supporter to show me where George Washington, Abe Lincoln, or Ronald Reagan, referred to their life in public office as a "career".

As one of the delegates who voted for to oust Bennett at the convention, I'm happy to say that I don't regret my vote at all and if Lee or Bridgewater view their time in office as a "career", it will be time kick them out too.

• mt_cicero
    May 21, 2010 9:36 a.m.

reSmith9294: "Career" generally refers to an individual’s work and life roles. Perhaps you assign some other meaning to the word? I suspect that you don't intend to mean that our elected officials should only pursue their public trusts as a "hobby." Personally, I think it is to an elected official's credit if they're dedicated to their public service while in office, which in my lexicon warrants the term "career" regardless of how long they are in office.

• tq2
    May 21, 2010 9:45 a.m.

Smart move Bob, you could not have won anyway. But I've kind of lost respect for Bennett, calling this race "the nastiest in the history of the GOP in Utah." In fact, this race was completely tame and civil--except for his side. He was the only "nasty" one in the race, Mike Lee and Tim Bridgewater were both as tame as sunday school teachers. Bennett, however, went hostile, spent a fortune, attacked Lee and Bridgewater relentless; of which, Lee and Bridgewater never reciprocated. I think the party made the perfect decision on May 8th, to send Bennett on a different mission.

• Smith9294
    May 21, 2010 10:19 a.m.

mt_cicero,

"Career" is synonymous with profession, something that you do to advance your own state in life, which is what Bennett has done. Why would you avoid the question by attempting to get into a battle of meaning? He used it, and a close look at the results of his "career" show a leaning towards self rather than the public.

I'm still waiting for someone (maybe you can help me) to show me where our Founders and the others I mentioned refer to their public service as a career.

And no, I don't expect our public officials to treat their time as a hobby; I'm not sure where you got that from. Perhaps, you misread. I expect them to serve for the sake of service and not promotion of self.

Bennett's use of the word career is apropos; a family company that started with his father and heavily involved his son, the great retirement package he'll receive, and the great salary he received.

Again, please show me how this, what Bennett calls his "career" matches the public service of our Founders and others like them.

• MoJules
    May 21, 2010 10:51 a.m.

I hope that he will go on a mission, such a better place to be than in Washington. Just don't serve there.

• Fiscal Hawk
    May 21, 2010 11:42 a.m.

We don't need entitlement reforms, we need to cut entitlements completely. Where are social security, medicaid, and medicare guaranteed in the Constitution?

• Vauvban
    May 21, 2010 1:41 p.m.

I didn't like Bennett but he is/was a heck of a lot better than these two idiots who want his job.

On the Dems side Granato wouldn't be my first choice either. Utah had better wake up and join the 21st Century quickly or we will be left in the dust and , our kids won't be able to compete, our environment will be destroyed, our public lands will be sold off and our water will be sold off to the highest bidder.

I do not want Utah looking like the West or East Coasts, Denver or Vegas. The Christian Fundamentalists are taking over the midwest and need I remind the readers of this paper what they did to Utah's founding father Joseph Smith and his flock.

Jon Huntsman was the best leader we've had in a long time but he answered our Nations call to duty and is now serving under a great president that is being challenged daily by the republican obstructionalists who represent big business and the plutocrates.

What did Brigham Young say back in '47? "No One Shall Own the Water."

• nick
    May 21, 2010 4:15 p.m.

Bennett claims the recent convention race was the nastiest in the history of the state, as if his campaign was sweet and postive. Bridgewater and Lee were certainly not nasty to Bennett. Neither of them ran negative ads against Bennett. In fact, Lee didn't run any electronic ads leading up the convention. The Club of Growth was very critical of Bennett.

Lest we forgot, it was Senator Bennett who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on print and electronic media attacking Mike Lee for his stance on Afghanistan. To imply--as Bennett does and much of the coverage in the Trib does--that Mike Lee was the source of the nasty campaign is simply ludicrous. Lee defended himself in the face of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of attack ads, and now he is the bad and nasty guy?

This is truly Alice in Wonderland stuff. It's just another example of a double standard of a politician who thinks he is entitled to a seat and that anything he does to protect that seat is nice and anything anyone says that is critical of him is nasty.

• mt_cicero
    May 21, 2010 6:14 p.m.

reSmith9294: I believe you are applying your own narrow interpretation of the word career to Senator Bennett. I believe your argument would be better served if you stick to your disagreement with his actions/votes during his service rather than attacking the term he used to describe it. I don't believe it matters so much if our "Founders" would use the term "career" to describe their service as to the type of service they gave. Is that what you're asking, to compare the service that Senator Bennett rendered while in office to the service our Founders rendered while in office? That seems a much better question than asking if other elected officials referred to their service in the same vernacular.