Utah

Some Republicans pushing for crossover vote against Matheson

Comments

• USA
    May 11, 2010 6:18 p.m.

When Representative Wimmer called for crossover votes, he termed it "chaos Utah style." Fairly scummy.

• Poli Sigh
    May 11, 2010 9:15 p.m.

Haha, let's do it! Republicans lost a seat in the same way and later closed their primary.

It's payback time!

• mine
    May 12, 2010 1:55 a.m.

Democrats and independents have the ability to vote in the republican primaries if they are too register as a republican the day of the election, then re-register back after 10 days. This is another closed door tactic the republicans use to oppress voters they do not want, they close all primaries, caucuses and committee meetings during the legislative sessions. Wimmer uses the Patrick Henry method to spew his intolerance of others and people of color. Patrick Henry realized the errors of his ways and changed his political views to become a strong federalist, supporting a central government, defense and commerce. We continue to hear the spew over the Founding Fathers, the vast majority of these were also Federalists, not Democratic Republicans.
    Rewriting history may be effective for those that are naive or unwilling to research for themselves the history of the states, but the history is out there research it for yourselves.
    Wimmer has been making a lot of noise for our state yet his extensive education is POST at Salt Lake Community College. The man is not formally educated and is a bully paid by the state taxpayers!

• RichardB
    May 12, 2010 3:59 a.m.

Utah is the Republican version of Chicago and the Democrats. All we need now is the Republican convention and a repeat of 1968.

They'll write songs about us.

• Cats
    May 12, 2010 5:41 a.m.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING Utahns can do this year to have an effect on the nation is to GET RID OF MATHESON.

A vote for Matheson is a vote for Pelosi. He has played a dishonest game for years of supporting Pelosi in Washington and pretending to be conservative at home. He votes for legislation all the way up to final passage and then he is "released" to vote "his district" in order to protect his seat for the Democrats. He votes the way Pelosi ALLOWS him to vote.

I am one Republican who will be crossing over to vote in the Democrat primary. Whichever Republican wins the Senate primary will be a good Senator for Utah. But, in order to make a real difference, we need to get Matheson out this year.

I encourage all Utahns to vote in the Democrat primary to get rid of Matheson. THIS THE MOST IMPORATANT THING WE CAN DO TO CHANGE WASHINGTON.

Don't be fooled by Matheson's games any longer. He does NOT represent Utah values.

• Emjay
    May 12, 2010 6:17 a.m.

I encourage all Republicans in the second district to cross over and vote against Matheson. It's our best shot of saving our country from these guys.

• oldman
    May 12, 2010 7:35 a.m.

Once again, the Republicans are out to get more of their buddies in office. With the likes of Wimmer, Chavez and Butterfield and let us not forget the Govenor of this State. These men are all jokes!!! They should have never been elected. Their "conservative ideas" come from their religion, not the voice of All the people of Utah.

• lost in DC
    May 12, 2010 8:02 a.m.

oldman,
    that's the idea of a political party, get more of your guys in office. Don't you think the dems work to elect more of thier guys!??

Bet Matheson wishes the dems had a closed party like the repubs.

• Ridgely
    May 12, 2010 8:17 a.m.

Doug Wright (not exactly a flaming liberal) had the right mix of disgust and sadness yesterday when he criticized these low ball tactics on his show yesterday.

Morgan Philpott came on KSL with a half-hearted dismissive shrug of "I have no control over these people". Then Rep. Carl Wimmer came on with an even worse non-apology "apology" for his dog whistle twitter message to Rush Limbaugh fans.

Neither of them (or anyone in mainstream Republican leadership) has manned up and just flat out said "This is wrong".

And then we wonder why people disengage from participating in our democracy?

• JCO
    May 12, 2010 8:34 a.m.

I'm a lifelong Republican and after reading this article I will DEFINITELY be voting in the Democratic primary--for Scott Matheson.

Now that my party has voted out Bennett, our state's most sane representative in Washington, there seems to be very little difference (other than a few years maturity and Lee's slightly more blatant pandering) between the two. So I will be voting against my party's co-option by the extreme right to work to see Matheson survive this primary.

The fact that this will foil Wimmer's most sincere strategery makes it all the more an attractive proposition.

• Thomas Jefferson
    May 12, 2010 8:36 a.m.

Poor, sad, fake conservatives.

• Fiscal Hawk
    May 12, 2010 8:47 a.m.

What, exactly, is wrong with crossing over? As an American citizen, and a resident of the district in question, don't I have the right to vote in any election?

• Henry J.
    May 12, 2010 8:53 a.m.

This one life long republican that has become embaresed with the republican party and will be voting for good honest men like Jim Matheson and Petter Coroon. I pray for our state.

• Lane Myer
    May 12, 2010 8:55 a.m.

Well folks,

This is what's known as ethics. Either you have them or you don't. Either you allow the democrats to vote in their candidate or you fix the election so that your candidate has a better chance of winning.

You must decided individually whether or not you will stoop to the level of win at all costs, and to heck with ethics.

It is your choice.

• Cedarite
    May 12, 2010 8:59 a.m.

Forcing and seizing total dominance by low underhanded tactics such as sabotaging elections doesn't sound particularly "American" or sound very in line with the Founding Fathers' intents.

• Lane Myer
    May 12, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Fiscal Hawk | 8:47 a.m. May 12, 2010

----------------

You CAN vote if you want to vote in the democratic primary. Whether or not you SHOULD vote in it if you are not a democrat is a different subject.

It is your choice.

• Cats
    May 12, 2010 9:09 a.m.

I believe Henry J. and JCO are the same person. Anyway, I don't believe either one of them are "life-long Republicans."

As an American citizen, I have a right to use my vote to fight for my country. I intend to vote legally and ethically in the Democratic primary against Jim Matheson. There's nothing underhanded about that. It's completely straight forward.

• Emjay
    May 12, 2010 9:14 a.m.

Dear Cedarite: Let me tell you what's underhanded--pretending to be a conservative in Utah and then going to Washington and voting for Nancy Pelosi for speaker. How about voting for legislation in committee, voting for the rule and voting for amendments all the way up to final passage. Then, getting permission from Pelosi to vote "your district" on final passage so you can claim to be a conservative back in Utah. Of course, this is after Pelosi knows she has to votes to pass and let's you vote "no" in order to protect your seat.

That's the UNDERHANDED game that Jim Matheson has played for years. No man can serve two masters, but Jim Matheson has been trying to do that for years.

It's time to get him out.

• GOPWINS2010
    May 12, 2010 9:16 a.m.

I don't agree with Wimmers take on things.

I won't be voting in that election, we have a senator to choose from, I think Philpot will do fine against either Matheson or Wright, I have heard his plans and I think he is a more substainitive candidate than people are giving him credit for...can't wait for November!

• Fiscal Hawk
    May 12, 2010 9:22 a.m.

re: Lane Meyer

Haven't the democrats lead the way in "winning at all costs" by jamming healthcare, spending, and other legislation down our throats with zero bipartisan support? They have declared war and it's up to conservatives to either fight back or be overtaken.

By the way, THERE'S NOTHING UNETHICAL ABOUT VOTING IN AN ELECTION IN YOUR DISTRICT, but that's what scared democrats would have you believe.

• Lane Myer
    May 12, 2010 9:28 a.m.

Emjay,

Then remove him ethically. Two wrongs do not make a right.

If he is as bad as you think, it should not be a problem to talk enough of the fine people of Utah into voting him out.

Right?

• Thomas Jefferson
    May 12, 2010 9:29 a.m.

I hope that the real crossover vote will be for Sam Granato. The moderates need to step up and tell the Utah GOP that we are NOT going to let the state be taken over by the fourth reich.

• Lane Myer
    May 12, 2010 9:32 a.m.

I am not scared nor a democrat. I am an independent who used to be a republican. Because I have seen a lack of civility, honesty, principles and a win at all cost mentality from the Republican party, I resigned as a member.

You may vote in whatever primary you wish to. It is legal for you to do so. You must decided if it is ethical to vote in the democratic primary when you are not a democrat or independent. That is YOUR choice.

• MapleDon
    May 12, 2010 9:38 a.m.

The only people panicking right now are dems/libs (including the "life-long Republican" posers who plan to vote for dems in the next election. No Republican with any devotion to party principles could possibly endorse continued dem party dominance and destruction of our nation.

I like Matheson a lot. I've supported him in the past, but this nation will perish unless we turn things around fast--and that requires a change in leadership.

• JCO
    May 12, 2010 9:38 a.m.

@ Cats: don't know why you think I and Henry J are the same person (my spellcheck apparently works a lot better), or that I'm not a lifelong Republican just because I'm not a frothing Tea Partier.

As a matter of fact I started the Teen Republicans chapter at my high school way too many years ago and have worked on several Republican presidential campaigns. The fact that people like you think that being Republican means not compromising is what is most wrong with our party!

• Truthseeker
    May 12, 2010 9:38 a.m.

"Cross-over" votes are scummy and anybody who says otherwise is being dishonest. Limbaugh ran a campaign on his show in 2008 for Republicans in Ohio to cross-over vote for Hillary in order to oppose Obama. What Limbaugh encouraged Republican voters to do in Ohio was a fifth-degree felony in that state, punishable with a $2,500 fine and six to 12 months in jail. That is because in order to change party affiliation in Ohio, voters have to fill out a form swearing allegiance to that party's principles "under penalty of election falsification."

Republicans would decry the practice if it were employed against them. Just one more example of the hypocritical/dishonest nature of Republicans.

Furthermore, we can vote out all the incumbents but it isn't going to change the outcome until/unless we change campaign financing laws. Raising cash for campaigning has become the first job of Congress. But, there is a Fair Elections Now Act which creates public financing of campaigns as opposed to coporate donors. We should urge our leaders to support this bill and put pressure on Pelosi to bring it up for a vote.

• Civility
    May 12, 2010 9:57 a.m.

I am a conservative who plans to vote in the 2nd District Democratic primary, for Mr Matheson. I believe he is a good man who listens to the people and represents them well. I don't care if he is a Republican or a Democrat. I think it is time we start doing what is best for the country instead of whats best for the party.

• MiddleRight
    May 12, 2010 10:11 a.m.

This is and has been a democrat trick, we do not need to play this game.

Bennett needed to go, Hatch needs to go.

Let the democrats present themselves as they are, and they will continue to fail on their own.

Matheson is at least somewhere close to sensible, a rarely in candidates from that side, but when the national democrats HAVE to have his vote to pass something, they will have it. They didn't need it for the Socialized Medical bill, so he was allowed to vote against it.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    May 12, 2010 10:14 a.m.

What a blessing, the tea party really is working, when Hatch and Bennett got dumped, from "on the rack, and, out the door", just like a gas station and a tire change, and now political fallout from last weekend's state GOP and Democratic conventions is already starting. Well, here's even MORE FUEL for the fire. Attorney Kris Kobach with a Ivy League education who is the architect behind many of the nation's most controversial immigration laws, must cover-up then for the GOP BIG BUSINESS likes and Utah's Magnet and Sanctuary State Status for illegals and ignores it. On a mission these Mormons reach out to Hispanics, even though the Church teachs Mormons must also obey all the written laws of the land. That's Aiding and abetting a criminal under U.S. law even if they baptize them with not asking first for birth records etc. inside America. There should NEVER be any compassion on those who did choose to disobey the law. That's the truth's and that's MY VIEW. What's yours?. I am a LDS Member also. As a outsider and conservative, I say dump Hatch & Bennett.

• Democrat
    May 12, 2010 10:26 a.m.

The difference between the Atwood-Marriott race is that those cross over votes did so because they were picking who they felt was the better candidate. But now some Republicans want to vote for whom they feel is the worst candidate, thereby gaming the system.

I support open primaries and used to vote in the Republican primary when they had a contested race and the Democrats didn't. But I always voted for who I thought was the best candidate in that party. If both parties nominate the best possible candidates, then theoretically you have two good choices. But hoping your opponents come up with a bad choice puts the country at risk and is only for the selfish reason of wanting to win instead of hoping both parties will nominate qualified people worthy to represent the district.

I'll never forget hearing a local candidate say: "my opponent's a good man...I could vote for him". Unfortunately, the type of candidate with the humility to say that is in short supply.

• Furry1993
    May 12, 2010 11:03 a.m.

To Cats | 5:41 a.m.

• kkodey
    May 12, 2010 11:39 a.m.

I, for one, think this is a great idea, and an opportunity to regain this critical seat in November. We have been ambushed by the Dems with backroom plottings, ACORN, and the Minnesota fiasco that seated that braindead Al Franken in the US Senate. I encourage all interested Republicans in the 2nd District to join with me on Facebook, Republicans for Claudia Wright, in this crossover campaign.

• lket
    May 12, 2010 11:45 a.m.

the bottom line is Jim gets elected with republicans vote after the last time the republicans tried to redistrict him out anyway and the reason is he is a good man.

• Rick for Truth
    May 12, 2010 12:12 p.m.

I am going to re-register and vote against Matheson, I would do it twice if I could.

• Fiscal Hawk
    May 12, 2010 12:39 p.m.

re: Furry1993

"In other words, you are saying that you are not honest in all your dealings (if you wre, you would stick with the party to which you pledge allegiance). Sad."

My loyalty to conservative principles far outweighs my loyalty to whatever party I happen to be registered with, just like my loyalty to my spouse far outweighs my loyalty to any other member of the opposite sex. I register with a party only so I can vote, and I will VOTE AGAINST MATHESON!

• Justmythoughts
    May 12, 2010 1:14 p.m.

WOW...people, bring down the rhetoric just a notch and chill out. Just vote for the person who you think would do the best job and let the chips fall where they may.

• Furry1993
    May 12, 2010 1:41 p.m.

To Fiscal Hawk | 12:39 p.m.

Your case is different from Cats. S/he purports to be a Republican, but is advocating playing of a sleazy political game. You, being a member of no political party, would not be betraying your political affiliation by what you propose doing. I do have to admit a bit of curiosity, though -- did you attend a caucus this year or did you (like me) abstain because you didn't belong to a party?

I also am a conservative (a Goldwater conservative, not a far-right-wing authoritarian who has hijacked the conservative label). I have no political party; I cannot stomach the major parties, and find nothing of interest so far in third party alternatives. Therefore I will not be voting in the primary election because I see no reason to pretend to be something I'm not, just to play political games.

It just strikes me, though, that someone who wants a conservative representing the Second District in congress would want both a conservative Democrat and a conservative Republican in the general election and would, therefore, be trying as hard as possible to make Matheson (a conserative), the Democrat candidate.

• LDS Liberal
    May 12, 2010 1:58 p.m.

Noooooo,

God's Own Party would NEVER stoop so low!!!

It's...it's...it's....unbeliveable!!!

I'll bet (shifting my eyes back and forth, moving toward the camera and speaking softer...)
    I'll bet, those were LIBERAL plants at the Utah Republican caucuses last weeked
    Sheeking and Yelling, and Booing,
    "pretending" to be be Tea-partiers who only wanted to make Utah Republican LOOK stupid in the liberal media for the whole world to think we are a ONE party idiotic State.

But, don't take my word on it.
    Look it up for yourself.
    Prove me wrong, ...(hand to the side of mouth) if you can!

[sarcasm, off]

• facts_r_stubborn
    May 12, 2010 9:15 p.m.

Cross over voting is certainly possible, although, and ironically that's what the changes in the convention and primary rules in the Republican party were designed to limit 20 years ago. Pragmatically it has never been an issue in any Utah election then or since.

Personally, I think destructive cross over voting is just a dirty trick that gives politics a bad name and helps create new cynics. In my opinion voters should only cross over vote if they actually support a candidate in the other party.

Both parties should be able to put forward their strongest candidates. For the good of the nation, the best and the brightest should have the best chance to be elected.

Those who don't like successful people winning elections, presumably would have supported the cultural revolution in China.

• Rebecca
    May 13, 2010 12:57 a.m.

PLEASE! This makes me ill. It's turning into what the Republicans did to Romney in West Virginia during the presidential primaries. I was ashamed of the Republican party that day. Let's not stoop to that level.