Utah

Corrections creating commemorative coin for Ronnie Lee Gardner execution

Comments

• areaman
    April 26, 2010 10:16 p.m.

is it not already too expensive to get this done?

• doingmyway
    April 27, 2010 6:08 a.m.

This sounds a little bizarre to me. If they want to brag about their involvement, why don't they put a tattoo on their forehead?

• dcj07
    April 27, 2010 7:22 a.m.

I am pro-capital punishment. I feel that it is appropriate when deemed necessary and correct by a court of law.

However, this is in very poor taste. We pay these individuals to do a distasteful job in our prisons, whether it be the 30 year felon or someone on death row. I would hope we pay them well and that our government sees to their needs with an ample benefits package. This should be reward enough for doing the job for which they were hired.

A commemorative coin marking the taking of anothers life, regardless of the circumstances is in my opinion an unnecessary expense and is akin to dancing on someones grave. Can we not just say thank you for a job well done and carry on?

• mightyhunterhaha
    April 27, 2010 8:12 a.m.

dcj07: "I would hope we pay them well and that our government sees to their needs with an ample benefits package. This should be reward enough for doing the job for which they were hired."

It would be nice if the State did do what you hoped. Instead they are intenet of taking away more and more.

• Concerned1
    April 27, 2010 8:17 a.m.

I find that in a period of such tight budgets, laying off employees, etc. the Corrections' administration is wasting funds on decorative pins. Where are our check & balances?

• gonefishin67
    April 27, 2010 9:10 a.m.

"missed it by that much" Max Smart used to say. This isn't about celebrating a death or how much these men get paid. The point is recognition for a job well done. The day a boss can't find money in the budget to show appreciation for those who go above and beyond his/her/there call of duty it will be a sad day for our society. I for one would like to thank these men for dealing with these animals so they don't show up on my door or at my children's school.

• MrsH
    April 27, 2010 9:25 a.m.

I think it's creepy.

• rose
    April 27, 2010 9:40 a.m.

That kind of pin
    Most Dont want to be reminded of DEATH

• West Ham Fan
    April 27, 2010 9:53 a.m.

Rose: Of course they do! Why do you think the crucifix sells so well as jewelry?

• rose
    April 27, 2010 10:08 a.m.

and i dont have to add only a note
    that its just my comment

• shamrock
    April 27, 2010 10:51 a.m.

This is beyond sick.

• Tom Smith
    April 27, 2010 11:15 a.m.

What other "Awards and Recognitions" do law enforcement officer get (lumping prison guards with the rest of the beasts). Is there special recognition for a shoot out? there sure seems to be a lot of cops in Utah drawing their guns these days--perhaps this is why we are hearing so much more about gun duels, they get a medal. Such Bravado!!! What about officers that lead the department in traffic citations, or drug arrests, or quantity of drugs captures? Is it obvious that to be a cop you have to first be a bully or thug? Spend 2 minutes talking to a cop and you will know what makes them tick-- it is a license to harass and push people around. And now we reward this behavior with medals!!

• We the People
    April 27, 2010 11:20 a.m.

Gonefishin67:
    I agree that we owe a debt of gratitude to the men and women of law enforcement, including those involved in the execution of capital offenders. However, I think a handshake would suffice. We do not need to create mementos to show appreciation.

• Tom Smith
    April 27, 2010 11:29 a.m.

• Tom Smith
    April 27, 2010 11:39 a.m.

Here is another entrepreneurial opportunity... Someone should strike a special coin commemorating officers lost in the line of duty and have it distributed by the mafia.

• George
    April 27, 2010 12:46 p.m.

what a disgusting practice.

• 42istheanswer
    April 27, 2010 12:47 p.m.

Tom, you obviously haven't actually talked to a cop (at least sober).

It is nice that they recognize these people for what is a hard job, but nescessary for now.

• WithdrawConsent
    April 27, 2010 2:48 p.m.

Gang members used to get a tear drop tattoo under their eye for each killing.

Some folks' commemoratives are another folks' murderobilia.

How the establishment media reports it depends on which gang you belong to.

• FightingRED
    April 27, 2010 6:07 p.m.

Over on KSL's website, they clarified this story a bit better. The medals and now coins are used for recognizing any type of action an officer takes that goes above and beyond their normal duties. An officer that prevents a prisoner escape, assists in quelling a riot or anything of that level would receive one of these coins/medals. It's essentially similar to receiving a certificate of recognition for doing a good job.

And to Tom Smith... funny observation of law enforcement. My brother and the associates of his that I've met are very down to earth, friendly, family oriented people. Your observations seem to be a wee biased... possibly due to a few bad run ins with the law?

• A Guy With A Brain
    April 27, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Honestly, I am ALL for the death penalty but coins to commemerate (sp?) an execution is weird.

If I were on the firing squad I wouldn't want one.