Utah

Former Miss America Vandeweghe left legacy of family, faith

Comments

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2010 2:49 a.m.

What an inspiring story. I am impressed that the Miss America title didn't define this woman. I heard of another Miss America who had decorated the entry way of her home with all the Miss America memorabilia. She sounds like an inspiration to her children as well as those around her.

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2010 2:56 a.m.

I'm happy this man was baptized while his wife was still alive. Was she able to enjoy the moment or was her illness too much for her to know what was happening.

• Cats
    April 6, 2010 3:39 a.m.

A blogger wrote in when Colleen died and made the claim that she had converted to Catholicism at the time of her marriage. I guess it just goes to show you that you shouldn't believe everything that bloggers write. I'm glad that Colleen continued to stand up for her faith and was a great wife and mother.

• Amazing, Graceful
    April 6, 2010 6:45 a.m.

Thank you, a wonderful story. Like her daughters I didn't know. You made my day.

• Colleen B. NY Fayette Ward
    April 6, 2010 8:22 a.m.

This article is particularly touching to me as I was born and named after her by my father the year following her crowning. I knew that he got the idea for my name from a Miss America Pageant winner, but it wasn't until after I was baptized that I realized that particular Miss America winner was a Mormon. None of my family is LDS. I was baptized when I was 22 and am so very grateful to be a Latter-Day Saint. I've always felt discouraged and a little lonely that I'm the only one in may family that is a member but it's quite meaningful to me that I was inadvertently named after a wonderful member of the church who incidentally is a Miss America Pageant winner. Thank you for this article. It means so much to me.

• Ladypegasus ,Beautiful Graceful
    April 6, 2010 9:46 a.m.

long legs Tall walks
    with grace and style
    Personality goes along way~
    RIP Collen KH

• Jimmy
    April 6, 2010 10:51 a.m.

Those were the days, I miss them. We had a Miss America, The Prophet rubbed shoulders with Hollywood directors, the church worshipped Christ, not the worship of "the family" as is the focus today. We could wear colored shirts and flashy suits to church, missions were optional,and the Bishop would hold our hubcabs "randsome" until we contributed to the ward budget!

• Scott W
    April 6, 2010 11:23 a.m.

The family was in my home ward in Los Angeles, she and the kids were LDS. It was nice to see Heather quoted in the article. I had been trying to find her on Facebook.

• farmgirl
    April 6, 2010 11:33 a.m.

Thanks so much for this story--very uplifting. What a great lady Colleen is and what a wonderful family she has--forever!

• Vote For Pedro
    April 6, 2010 11:41 a.m.

If she was such a paragon of Mormon virtue, why did she marry outside of the church?

• extrafeetmom
    April 6, 2010 12:07 p.m.

Jimmy..........don't know what religion Your talking about. Men wear color'd shirts at my ward all the time. You think they are kicked out? In my ward, Christ is the center. I was taught God first, family second, work third......and if you have ever been to the temple, you would of known that. We had so many talks about not judging what people wear to church in conference this past week. And please tell me what Prophet rubbed shoulder's with Hollywood?
    As far as the bishop withholding hubcaps, you got me there. Never heard of that one. Sounds like a Bishop with a sense of humor to me.
    Lighten Up!!

• @ Vote for Pedro
    April 6, 2010 12:31 p.m.

I like Napoleon Dynamite as well. This was a short but sweet article. It's probably all you know about the woman, so please withhold any judgment of her until you get the whole story. And when you do judge her, be careful, as the yardstick you use to judge others will be the same yardstick the Lord uses for you!

• Dave from Taylorsville now
    April 6, 2010 12:41 p.m.

RE.: Jimmy | 10:51 a.m. April 6, 2010

Jimmy, you've been poisoned by the misconceptions in your own mind. Let loose of your hate. The one thing you need to focus on is the healing power of our Lord Jesus Christ. HE can heal your soul.

If you went to an LDS ward today you would see the focus on Christ as the center of the gospel. The importance of the family revolves around leading Christ-centered lives.

All of this leads back to your losing your testimony of the fact that Joseph Smith saw the Father and His Son Jesus in that Sacred Grove. Get it back and all else will fall in line. That vision "proves" the fact that God the Father and Christ re ALIVE and REAL. And that this is Christ's gospel.

• Judith M.
    April 6, 2010 12:45 p.m.

I think "Jimmy" may have been referring to President David O. McKay at the time Cecil B. De Mille was filming the movie, "The Ten Commandments." It was said that quite a friendship developed between them. Mr. De Mille once said to President McKay that "...you almost persuadeth me to be a Mormon."

• Jenny Wren
    April 6, 2010 2:27 p.m.

Other Latter-day saint young women have represented themselves and the Church well over the years in the Miss America pageant. Rosanne Tueller was Miss Washington D.C. in 1962 and went on to become first runner-up in the 1963 Miss America pageant. She was, and continues to be, an inspiration to her family and those around her.

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2010 2:38 p.m.

I have enjoyed the articles on this lovely lady. I was born in 1952 in Alberta Canada. My middle name is Colleen and my mom glued a 1952 newspaper article about this Mormon Miss America in my baby book. I didn't know much about her until now. I am so pleased to hear that she had a good life and a wonderful family. I shall now add these news articles to my scrap book about a woman whose values and example blessed the lives of many people. Oh by the way, I have 1 daughter and three granddaughters with Colleen as their middle name!

• Friend of Family
    April 6, 2010 2:43 p.m.

I am relatively close with the family, and I appreciate the tone of the article. One note however, is that Colleen was a graduate of BYU, and would be appalled to learn of the mistake in this article. Her brother Mel was an All-American basketball player for BYU who went on to become a 4-time NBA All-Star for the Pistons and the Knicks.

• please note
    April 6, 2010 3:12 p.m.

she was wise beyond her years. She went to the kids' practices and actually watched them. She did not read a book, text, email, or dance. She went to watch her children.

There is a message in there people. I am not LDS but I can see a wise woman when the evidence is so overwhelming.

Also helps to have good genes too. But how many of adults go to their kids games, etc., and then turn them off and tune them out by using that cell phone or book? yeah, they get the message alright.

• Kiki's mom
    April 6, 2010 3:47 p.m.

Kiki Vandeweghe's Mom is a member!!! No way. And Miss America winner. This blows me away. Who knew? I'm not even kidding.

Thats crazy. Good for her! She sounds like a remarkable lady.

• LDS Role Model?
    April 6, 2010 7:38 p.m.

Why didn't she raise her children to be LDS?

• Jimmy Is Right
    April 6, 2010 7:41 p.m.

It is indeed sad that both the Miss America pageant and the Mormon church have become anachronisms of the past.

• Linda
    April 7, 2010 6:26 p.m.

Marrying outside of the Church does not a bad Mormon make. And sometimes, a non-LDS person is a better example than a "good" LDS person. This, coming from a woman who has been married to a man outside of the Church, and now, to a good, kind, loving and worthy member of the Church. I have a daughter-in-law that espouses no religion, yet raises her children with strong moral values, and sets a better example than members of ANY faith.

• anonymous
    April 9, 2010 12:25 a.m.

Not having heard of Colleen Hutchins before today, and having read the articles about her since her passing, I do not believe that she would have been appalled at reading the article and the possible mistake which states that she graduated from the U of U. Who knows but what she received a degree from there after graduating from BYU? And her personality doesn't seem the type to become appalled at a newspaper article making a mistake. She appears to be a person of high integrity.