Faith

'The Ten Commandments' is Hollywood's version of biblical story

Comments

• No Thanks
    March 26, 2010 5:18 p.m.

I thought it was a cornball movie, horribly over acted and just as silly as any other make belive fairy tale.

• CP
    March 26, 2010 5:27 p.m.

I love The Ten Commandments. It's a wholesome show with great actors. You don't see those kinds of movies anymore. Most of the movies today are nothing but sex and violence, no family needs that kind of garbage. I will watch Charlton Heston and Yul Brenner any day before I would watch Tom Cruise or some of the so-called actors of today. So, I disgree with No Thanks.

• Ralph Pierce
    March 26, 2010 5:35 p.m.

It is an epic and one which our family enjoys at least once every year. Cecil B Demille will site other sources used in the compilation of this great movie other than the old testament at the beginning of the film such as in the writings of Josephus. The movie was such a hit in the 50's that my entire 4th grade class was marched the 5 blocks to the movie house where we paid 50 cents for the privilege of watching it (regular movies were 15 cents). It does lack the tremendous visual effects that movies of today have.

• doug
    March 26, 2010 5:48 p.m.

it was, is, and always will be a great movie.

• doug
    March 26, 2010 5:50 p.m.

it was, is, and always will be a great movie.

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 5:56 p.m.

it's amusing to read that the movie was "riddled with fiction" when it is based on a book that is riddled with fiction, and being critiqued by someone in a religion that has more than a little fiction in its history...

• kiaoraguy
    March 26, 2010 6:00 p.m.

a few unmentioned items-
    *Utah's own Arnold Friberg was asked personally by DeMille to provide some input into historical costume design- Friberg's work was liked so much that DeMille asked him to stay on and help with the look of the design of the whole film
    *The world premiere was held in Salt Lake City, in part because of Friberg, but also to thank the LDS church for it's help- and DeMille knew he would have a receptive audience

• ocron
    March 26, 2010 6:14 p.m.

Yes, there are consitencies. But, try to tell that to an awestruck 9 yr. old watching the movie in 1958 on the big screen and in Cinemascope!! I was very active in church but that movie made the Old Testament come alive. I still get chills every time I watch it.

• Disappointed
    March 26, 2010 6:18 p.m.

I feel bad that this sounds like it is written by someone who believes truth can only be found in the Bible. Josephus was a very credible historian. Also, as an amateur Egyptologist, I can tell you that the names used are thought to be strong contenders for the characters in the film. Lastly, since the Bible gives so little of the story, it is fine to make leaps of logic like assuming that Moses had interaction with Pharaoh's sons. To infer that this and other things are wrong because not specifically put in the Bible is narrow minded.

I will grant that the romance is fiction along with other points but I believe most deeply thinking people assume literary license is used.

• re: Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 6:35 p.m.

Were you there to know that those stories in the bible are fiction? How would you know they are fiction if you weren't there?

This is probably a waste of my time responding to your comment since you will dismiss it anyway, but there are things that happen that can not be explained by science or logic. I have had experiences that I know can not be explaned with science or the natural mind. Does that mean they did not happen? Absolutely not. You may think it is made up or fiction, but that does not take away the fact they happened. I know you probably won't buy that explanation. Say what you want or believe what you want, but do not dismiss that which you no nothing about.

• We love the movie
    March 26, 2010 7:12 p.m.

My family watches it every year. The underlying meaning and theme are powerful and it has a great message. So what if some of the characters aren't real. The meaning and story are important for us today. I am glad that this movie was made and wish we had more like it.

• Timothy
    March 26, 2010 7:26 p.m.

I still think it is a great movie after all the years that have gone by since I first saw it on the big screen..I was just a young lad but I can still remember sitting in that big theater with my popcorn and other assorted goodies having a grand old time..I would be the first to admit that it is not a literal presentation of scripture;but not being a rigid dogmatist myself I still believe it is a decent representation of Biblical times.. It is kind of ironic how a person with my views on religion can enjoy or be moved by such a movie,but I always have been and hope I will continue to be..If nothing else I get to watch a drama that is uplifting without all the vulgarity of modern cinema ,and really Charlton Heston and Yul Brenner are heads and shoulders above most modern actors in the application of their acting skill(as CP correctly pointed out)..Also I would like to point out that "The Robe" and "Ben Hur" are excellent movies of this genre..And for laughs"A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum"

• Dane
    March 26, 2010 8:03 p.m.

I love the movie, and look forward to it. Far more details were missed and added in the Hollywood depiction than Lynn Arave identifies.

Charlton Heston needed a sign placed on the back of the rock at the bottom of Mt. Sinai, saying, "Don't trip, Charlton!"

Did the actors part their hair on the same side as the original individuals?

Why was this article written? This article is not up to your usual standard, Lynn.

• Pooh Bear
    March 26, 2010 8:04 p.m.

I loved this movie when I was a kid. It was one of the great ones.

• Good Article
    March 26, 2010 8:33 p.m.

Thanks for writing the article and sharing the difference with the Bible. I appreciate seeing your reference to other historical literature.
    I love the movie and now will share with others some of your insights!!

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 9:04 p.m.

Chuck Heston makes us Left Coast liberals proud. I love a great story. There was no Exodus. There is no evidence of of Moses. This was a great fictional movie.

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 9:13 p.m.

They need to make more movies like this one.

• Jedivan
    March 26, 2010 9:28 p.m.

Actually, when the scriptures say that a man "gives his daughter" to someone else to be his wife it means that at the very least that the father of the bride consented to the marriage. It is possible, of course, based on the customs of the time, that Zipporah had no say in the matter. However, the Bible is also clear that Moses lived for several years with Jethro and his family. It's certainly possible that, as a result, Moses did actually choose Zipporah as his wife. The other points mentioned in the article definitely aren't biblical.

• NorthboundZax
    March 26, 2010 9:32 p.m.

Wow. Shocker that the movie was different than the book. When has that ever happened before?

• More to Ponder.
    March 26, 2010 10:47 p.m.

And if you think this is bad, you should check out the Lightning Thief... they totally butchered the book... ;)

--Ray

• Anonymous
    March 27, 2010 12:21 a.m.

Charlton Heston was born for this movie...and Ben Hur. Both are both inspiring even if not totally accurate...we take that into account before we even see them.

• Anonymous
    March 27, 2010 12:25 a.m.

Charleton Heston was born for this movie and Ben Hur. Both are inspiring even if not totally accurate. We take that into account before watching.

• What??
    March 27, 2010 3:01 a.m.

The Movie isn't what really happened? Next you are going to tell me the Easter Bunny isn't real, or Santa Clause, or Jesus.

• THEeyepatch
    March 27, 2010 4:49 a.m.

If you understand the story as a whole, then you should be alright. If you focus on the fantasy, then you missed the point completely.

Hollywood has a knack for exaggeration, it sells tickets.

• Dennis
    March 27, 2010 7:28 a.m.

The Egyptians were serious writers and recorded everything. There is not a single reference in all their literature that indicates there were EVER any "children of Israel" in captivity there.
    The entire Moses story is just that, a story.

• SoLetItBeWrittenSoLetItBeDone
    March 27, 2010 7:35 a.m.

Ah so many memories.

Moses unknowingly saving his own mother from being crushed by the stone.

The best Joshua ever. (Its hard not to have him come to mind when reading about Joshua. :)And his lovely girlfriend and her weasel master, Dathan.

The great music as the awesome views of the thousands begin leaving Egypt, through the facing line of lions.

The swirling green mist of the plague moving through the streets.

Moses's adopted mother and her bearers being invited to join the Isralites.

The patriarch Joseph's bones being taken home to be buried in his own land.

The old, old man being invited to be hoisted onto Bithia's conveyance.

The donkey who doesn't want to go, now that the time has finally come.

"The weak make few, the dead make none"

• RE: Anonymous 12:21 & 12:25 a.m.
    March 27, 2010 7:40 a.m.

It WAS worth saying twice.

He WAS born for these two great movies.

Their inaccuracies ARE trumped by the what is good about them.

• Anonymous
    March 27, 2010 10:00 a.m.

It's also worth pointing out that while the movie is traditionally shown during Easter weekend, it's shown because that is also the time of Passover and there are events in this movie which are related to that event. Don't assume that it's only for Christians.

• To Dennis
    March 27, 2010 10:01 a.m.

Saw a PBS documentary a few months ago where archaeological evidence was found (writings) that supported the idea of Israelites being in that area of Egypt.

• Anonymous
    March 27, 2010 10:20 a.m.

I always enjoy watching The Ten Commandmests Movie; I suggest that if Hollywood return to making Biblical movies, instead of the trash that they make today; The next time Hollywood makes a biblical movie; they need to follow the Bible as accurately as possible and leave out the fiction. For those of you who call the Bible stories fiction, your comments were not needed and I fail to understand why the desnews needs to print comments addressing Bible stories as "fiction."

• To No Evidence
    March 27, 2010 10:21 a.m.

No evidence? I guess the Bible & the hundreds of millions of people who believe the story aren't considered "evidence".....

• rdha
    March 27, 2010 10:45 a.m.

The Ten Commandments film is a classic and worth watching on every Easter. So what if not everything is accurate or there's this and that put in the film. I guess Hollywood does have to make use of artistic liberties to hold some audiences attention. Anybody really want to see a hilarious depiction of a Bible story, check out Noah's Ark with Jon Voight as Noah. It 's a two part mini series you can check out on Youtube. Talk about a riot of laughs. People will have to see what I mean. The Ten Commandments does have it's share of laughs too. Not to take lightly the amazing true story of Moses and the awesome symbolisms and and spiritual aspects of his amazing journey, but Nefertiti, the wife of Ramses was a cheeseball; ("Oh, Moses, Moses! You splendid, adorable, wonderful fool!")And most of the daughters of Jethro the High Priest were goofballs and silly young women. Alot of the dialogue by the other characters was pretty corny but no matter. Gotta love The Ten Commandments.

• awesome jello
    March 27, 2010 10:46 a.m.

The parting of the red sea scene I understand was done with jello. I love classic movies and how special effects were done creatively without computers. What an awesome movie. When I'm watching a movie like this I'm not taking it all as "gospel truth" and my faith in God is certainly not dependent on it, so who cares whether or not the details all come from the Bible or not.

• Wer
    March 27, 2010 10:51 a.m.

The article is a little too picky here, but it got the naysayers to come out from beneath their rocks...

• K-Hud
    March 27, 2010 11:04 a.m.

The movie is almost 4 hours long - not almost 3 as the reporter states...

Seems like fact checking is a thing of the past ... :)

• Gimme a Break
    March 27, 2010 11:25 a.m.

The movie doesn't use the KJV spelling of the name Jochebed? Next you'll be telling me all the Spanish language scriptures should be classified as fiction for referring to Moses as Moises!

Exodus is not written as a screenplay. I think most of us are intelligent enough to figure the moviemakers were embellishing the story for cinematic effect.

I'd like to see some good movies made of the old Bible stories, like Abraham and Sarah, but don't do like most ofthe old movies where the prophet is depicted as always staring off into space. Make them more real.

• Loved it
    March 27, 2010 12:22 p.m.

It was a fiction drama, but a great movie.

• Cats
    March 27, 2010 12:43 p.m.

Poor Dennis has a superficial knowledge of Egypt. Many things have been struck from Egyptian records. Anything that was embarrassing or uncomfortable was often struck out of records. The fact that the Moses story is not there is of very little significance.

However, it is very clear that whoever wrote the Exodus story had a very intimate knowledge of the workings of the royal court of Egypt.

Absense of evidence is NOT evidence of absence. Anyone with true understanding knows that.

No question, the movie is kind of hokey. But, I love it anyway. It is a product of its time and I think it's great.

• Anonymous
    March 27, 2010 1:57 p.m.

I agree with the first posting. It is nothing but a melodramatic piece of garbage.

• Dennis
    March 28, 2010 8:38 a.m.

The Bible isn't "evidence" to anything. It's an old book. Saying the bible is evidence is like saying "Lord of the Rings" is history too. though I like Rings much better.

• re: Dennis
    March 30, 2010 4:41 p.m.

So, the Dead Sea Scrolls..what about those? What about the authentic separate records of the books Bible in Greek, Hebrew, and other languages? What about numerous other ancient documents that have been found? If you say the Egyptians were serious writers, you must know about those people who wrote like in the B.C. era? You claim to know one aspect of the Egyptians. If you know that, you have some interest in history. You should look up other, older documents from all over the world. It wasn't just the Egyptians who were great writers. There are volumes of books about records all over the world that have been kept.

• tweetie pie
    April 3, 2010 10:29 p.m.

Yes, watched it and appreciated. It's distressing how much cynicism, negativity, and pseudo-intellectualism cloaks us these days. Faith is not a physical or intellectual exercise. It is a lived experience.