Utah

General Petraeus: Top 10 reasons BYU grads make great soldiers

Comments

• sharp as a tack
    March 26, 2010 10:45 a.m.

In a sea of fools I'm glad we have professionals that are smart enough to do research, or have someone do it for them.

• MoHumor
    March 26, 2010 10:54 a.m.

Never gets old. Just kinda tired.

• California
    March 26, 2010 10:56 a.m.

That is a HOOT! Thanks for my daily dose of humor.

• Washingtion DC Reader
    March 26, 2010 11:01 a.m.

Great stuff. Thanks to Petraeus for visiting BYU and thanks to the proactive people at the Y that invited him.

• love it
    March 26, 2010 11:03 a.m.

Great sense of humor

• Wyo Reader
    March 26, 2010 11:06 a.m.

That is the funniest thing I've read in days! Thanks General! I salute you!

• Hilarious
    March 26, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Yes, he certainly had help from Mormon insiders to nail down the cultural quirks. But they came from his mouth; therefore, he owns the words. I would have loved to have been there. My father is a retired Air Force officer and WW II veteran, my oldest brother is retired Army, and my sister has a son who is a graduate of the Naval Academy. Good for BYU for getting General Petraeus to speak on campus.

God bless those who are willing to put themselves in harm's way to protect our freedoms and the freedoms of others.

• Cowboy
    March 26, 2010 11:21 a.m.

"Mr. Petraeus, thank you so much for visiting our school. As you have requested we have provided with a list of Mormon related jokes."

• Just sayin'
    March 26, 2010 11:25 a.m.

That is so funny! But how does he know those things?? Does the gov't have spies in Utah keeping an eye on things??

• What in tucket?
    March 26, 2010 11:29 a.m.

General Petraeus is my candidate for next President of the United States. Seems to me he is the one who put in the concept of going into a village and staying in Iraq.

• The rest?
    March 26, 2010 11:45 a.m.

Nice intro, but where's the rest of the story. Didn't he have anything intelligent to say? BTW, it looks like he had insider help to do this list. A lot like when Bobby Kennedy came to BYU years ago.

• PP
    March 26, 2010 11:51 a.m.

I used to golf with a guy that went to West Point with the general. Said he was one of the best men you would ever meet.

• To just sayin"
    March 26, 2010 11:57 a.m.

he probably has LDS friends in the military. We kinda stick out...

• Re: The rest? @11:45 a.m.
    March 26, 2010 11:57 a.m.

The rest... would be located in the box to the right called "Related Content." This article was called "General Petreaus: Top 10 reasons BYU grads make great soldiers" and I think the author shared that with us.

• Henry Drummond
    March 26, 2010 12:03 p.m.

This was great! I especially liked the line about assigning insurgents home teachers.

• cusco
    March 26, 2010 12:09 p.m.

Of course he had help. So what? The funniest line was the one about insurgents and home teaching. That could only come from a Mo.

And as a U of U fan, I found # 1 hilarious!

• Re: Re; The Rest
    March 26, 2010 12:17 p.m.

This shows you one of the biggest problems with people in general. How long did it take you to figure out there were additional/ related articles and point it out to "the Rest" and yet so many responders in the comments sections don't have all of the facts but thin they do, especially in the education field.

• Of course
    March 26, 2010 12:20 p.m.

he had help! He sought information and ideas from those in the BYU community for his list. AND, he did a fantastic job with fielding questions from obnoxious, self-important BYU students.

• Thoughts about the General
    March 26, 2010 12:23 p.m.

Seems nice, seems intelligent, glad he is on our side,

on second thought

were he on the other side, he might be able to talk some sense into the other side and we might be even further ahead.

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 12:36 p.m.

Hillarious!!! Someone had a ton of fun helping him put that together.

Number one is going to stick, the axis of evil, i.e. the University of Utah!

• THEeyepatch
    March 26, 2010 12:42 p.m.

It can't be, another BYU positive reinforcement story. I don't want to believe it. You know what... I won't.

• Arizona Reader
    March 26, 2010 12:55 p.m.

I was expecting to read something very informative and ended up getting a great laugh. Thanks for speaking at the "Y" and thanks for serving our country.

• Sign him up
    March 26, 2010 12:58 p.m.

to speak in Conference next weekend so the rest of us can hear him. Sounds like 1 awesome dude..

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 1:07 p.m.

That list is so true. I always had my year supply of food over in Iraq and our captives always told us the information we needed when we threatend them with home teachers.

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 1:10 p.m.

Loved it!!

• This is news?
    March 26, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Really? A lame top 10? And you're featuring it as top news on your website? WHEW!

• aztrooper
    March 26, 2010 1:22 p.m.

He either had inside men or he is LDS. Some one fill our a referral card for him. I'd vote for him.

• wallofvoodoo
    March 26, 2010 1:36 p.m.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That made my day.

• Seriously???
    March 26, 2010 1:38 p.m.

Some people will complain about anything.. No this isn't news, it's just a funny. There's nothing wrong with just injecting a little levity into the day. Of course, somebody helped him write it, so what? Just enjoy it without being so danged judgemental...

• Are we sure...
    March 26, 2010 1:42 p.m.

that this isn't another "attack" on Organized Religion?

I liked 6, 7, & 9.

• BiBi Hillberg
    March 26, 2010 1:49 p.m.

Wish I would have heard the whole talk and interview
    But love anything Gen/David Petraeus says anyway.

• DO they make soldiers?
    March 26, 2010 1:57 p.m.

I thought they just promoted Rightwing war-thirsty politics and then avoided service.

• Howard
    March 26, 2010 1:57 p.m.

Loved it

• Loodie
    March 26, 2010 2:06 p.m.

His talk, etc. is going to be replayed several times on byu.org and one other station. It was a great and informative talk.

• SpenceOC
    March 26, 2010 2:23 p.m.

This guy is pretty funny! :-) Did he actually say all this stuff...??? I think he has our number! Oh, Oh!..... Doh!!!

• Makes Me Proud...again
    March 26, 2010 2:51 p.m.

Glad I'm a Vet (30+ yrs.) and a BYU grad.....we need more like Gen. Petraeus and NO MORE like: Obama, Biden, Reid, Pelosi, Steny, Barney etc......

• re: Do they make
    March 26, 2010 2:51 p.m.

Are you really so insensitive towards a religion that you take advantage of a lightheaded story to spread false generalizations and stereotypes?

• Only One
    March 26, 2010 2:58 p.m.

Not sure I see the humor in old jokes that have been used thousands of times, written by a member on his "staff" in an effor to make sure the audience was on his side. He's a great man, a great leader, etc., but this unoriginal top 10 really isn't worth the press it's getting. Does the BYU president really find him as funny as the picture portrays? Just all seems awkward.

• betrayed
    March 26, 2010 3:12 p.m.

Is it just me or does someone else feel the general has "betrayed us" (LOL!) with his inside knowledge of BYU and the LDS Church?...hahahaaa.... kidding aside, I think his top 10 was funny!!!

• Its humor folks
    March 26, 2010 3:12 p.m.

Boy some of you have a hard time accepting a funny intro to a serious talk. If you want more on the talk just check it out elsewhere in the Des. News.
    I'll ask my son the Lt. Colonel who he thinks prepped the good General.

• Loodie
    March 26, 2010 3:17 p.m.

All you stuffed shirts that can't laugh once in awhile, get a life!!!!! His talk, his whole talk was great and he answered the somewhat silly questions graciously and intelligently.

• good stuff
    March 26, 2010 3:25 p.m.

Funny Funny.... One thing about mormons is that we can laugh at our selves. We are secure in our religion. Also I like it when a big sports or movie star tries to say potentially offensive comments about out religion because we all end up laugh together. A good example is when Colby did that and we all laugh. Good times.

• Heber K. Romney
    March 26, 2010 3:34 p.m.

This clown is supposed to be in charge of our milatery? What a bufoon. I hope he relizes the offence this kind of humor inflix upon the saints. This is the most inapproprate invited guest to byu since billy jole played the marrott center in the 90's and made fun of the holyer-than-thou atmosfere of provo.

;)

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 3:43 p.m.

It would be interesting and informative to find out how many current BYu students have served or plan to serve in the military? What are the numbers compared to the general poputlation?

• @ Heber K
    March 26, 2010 3:51 p.m.

Maybe you should type your letter in WORD and do a spell check. Who's the bufoon?

• Heber K?
    March 26, 2010 4:06 p.m.

to Heber K:
    You obviously weren't in attendance. Had you listened to all of his remarks, you would think differently. Have you never been to a devotional at BYU? Some speakers open up with light-hearted stories or humorous beginnings.
    Get a life, Mr. Romney. Try smiling.

• Bowler 3:10 NV time
    March 26, 2010 4:10 p.m.

His picture, looks like he is really having a good time. I admire anyone who serves our country and has such a sense of humor. The comments he made even though some old were still funny. His way of saying he cared and knew it would be accepted in the spirit it was given! My opinion. I see no malice.

• Re: Heber K. Romney
    March 26, 2010 4:21 p.m.

If you are taking offense, then you need to "get a life!" No one else is taking it seriously.

• Ralph Pierce
    March 26, 2010 6:07 p.m.

There are many LDS soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen. Much of the LDS doctine is to do your bit and earn your keep. Prior to my joining the LDS Church I learned a lot about it from a fellow marine in a place we referred to as Dog Patch! He was a fine example. By being around many of the LDS serviceman, those of who were not affiliated with organized religion learned lots about LDS doctine. The good general might not have been prompted as much as one would think by BYU representatives regarding LDS peculiarities.

• SD Blue
    March 26, 2010 6:19 p.m.

"Axis of Evil," that's just about the funniest/True thing I have ever read. Wish I would have thought of that.

BTW, his full remarks were great, so those who are hating, once again, need to chill.

• mike
    March 26, 2010 7:19 p.m.

FYI, for those that can't grasp why he knows so much about the LDS, generals have speach writers too...just like the president. I'll bet a nickel that one of his speach writers is a BYU grad...

• Goose
    March 26, 2010 7:32 p.m.

His actually (secretly) LDS, like Steve Martin is and Elvis Presley too :) j/k

• Mormon Ute Iraq Vet
    March 26, 2010 8:03 p.m.

This beats most of Letterman's Top 10 lists. Funny stuff!

GEN Petraeus is a true hero who found a way to balance military and civil humanitarian operations. The US military is a force for good in the world today, in no small part thanks to his leadership.

• Duh
    March 26, 2010 9:24 p.m.

No matter what, there is always an idiot who wants to find something negative to say, on any article that has the words BYU or LDS, never fails. That's why the world is upside down, people want to dwell on negative thinking. I think the General is an intelligent individual who knows what he is talking about. He has the respect of all Soldiers.

• speech writer
    March 26, 2010 10:35 p.m.

He has a speech writer. So what? Petraeus is a general. His job is delivering military results, not entertaining. But it's still funny! And true.

• I can't believe it...
    March 26, 2010 10:43 p.m.

oh man. that was funny.

• Petraeus has good intel
    March 26, 2010 11:42 p.m.

The general has a very good team of intelligence operatives collecting data for the missions he undertakes.

• K Riedler
    March 27, 2010 8:24 a.m.

As a West Point and BYU grad, and having served along with then MG Petraeus in Iraq, I can guarantee he always does his homework before speaking anywhere. His use of levity to begin his talk is ... well, just about like most every other very effective speaker we rally around!

As part of my job over there, I was privileged to spend a couple hours with him up in Mosul discussing why "security" was working in his sector, while suffering nearly everywhere else in Iraq. It was not by accident he was selected later to lead the entire force in country.

Gen Petraeus is a pleasure to serve with, a leader extraordinaire, and most folks in the military would follow him anywhere as his innovative thinking, combined with unadulterated common sense and ultimate "lead by example" attitude, separate him from most people -- inside or outside the military.

• Loved it!
    March 27, 2010 8:41 a.m.

I watched him live on BYU television Ch. 11 Thursday night. The talk will be repeated next week several times for anyone who missed it. He was absolutely brilliant and funny at the same time. What a good man and a great leader! Thank you for running this story for more people to be aware of it. Tuning into this talk would be even better if you are interested.

• My opinion
    March 27, 2010 1:50 p.m.

They do make really great soldiers.

• NavyMike
    March 27, 2010 2:19 p.m.

As a U of U grad and proud US Sailor, I will take that number one "bullet" with pride...muuuahahahaha....Iraq was overrated for that title anyway.

• Army Saint
    March 27, 2010 2:48 p.m.

I truly appreciate it when our military leaders take time to offer their respect to us as latter day saints, just as I appreciate it that the church takes so much care to make sure that members in the military care cared for. Having served in Iraq twice and Afghanistan once over the last seven years, I've had an opportunity to see the results that have come forth from GEN Petraeus' leadership and vision, and they are extraordianry. The western media will tell you how bad it is, but fewer people die, per capita, on the average day in Iraq, than do on the average day in America. These people are learning to govern themselves in their own way, and that's an incredible gift that Im proud to have taken part in giving. We owe GEN Petraeus a deep debt. He has served his country with all of his heart might mind and strength for many many years. There are very few men with the character, dedication, and vision that he displays.

• Bob Uda
    March 27, 2010 8:00 p.m.

General David H. Petraeus is a national hero, patriot, and great American. His "Top 10 reasons BYU grads make great soldiers" are simply hilarious. It is very sad to hear a few people call him General "Betray Us." This man would be a 100 times better president than the current POTUS. I thank him for his dedicated service to our country that our current politicians are running into the ground. If we ever needed to go to Martial Law, this is the military man I would like to be in charge.

• Ranger (BYU Alumni)
    March 27, 2010 8:21 p.m.

Thanks for the humor General...

• Jeff
    March 28, 2010 3:37 a.m.

This is pretty funny, red or blue, member or non.

• Diriye Barre
    March 28, 2010 3:55 p.m.

One thing which is in this joke. The General's
    desire to recuite the Mormon youth for services.
    Why? it is not new. the goverment see them as best
    because of decipline and their high morality that
    they were raised.
    Now, we are in time as country losing our position
    in World as super power in all aspects. economy,
    political influences, militery. due to our losing
    of our morality and values.
    So only way now visible, is to learn from this
    Church how to teach our kids.
    We need restoration of faith. and that is what this
    church is about.

• Larry Butler
    March 28, 2010 9:34 p.m.

Class act from a very class man! Our troops are in good hands!

• Lynda
    March 28, 2010 10:14 p.m.

GO UTES!!!

• Army Soldier
    March 29, 2010 5:34 a.m.

This comment is not related in exactly the same way that the other comments have been. Yes General Petraeus' comments were funny, but does everyone realize who they were directed to? They were directed to those future soldiers, those student/soldiers who are training and preparing to serve their country in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those same 200+ student/soldiers that were turned away at the door of the JSB auditorium in a rude manner and sent to watch the question and answer session on a projector screen in a separate building. Is it right that the student/soldiers that are preparing to, and if needed, give their lives for their country under the orders of General Petraeus' command do not get to meet their General when he comes to visit their home campus? Is it right that those student/soldiers do not get to voice their questions because they are not allowed in the auditorium when their commander comes to visit? Metaphorically speaking, if Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein was coming to speak at BYU, I would gladly give my seat up to the physics major. Should it not be the same for the soldier?

• cadet
    March 29, 2010 7:15 a.m.

The ROTC detachments at BYU/UVU (they're combined) for Army and Air Force are the largest in the nation outside of traditional military schools.

So in response to previous comments, yes BYU does actually make soldiers and airmen that serve, and really this is the last place General Petraeus would need to recruit. When it comes to signing up, BYU students don't need a motivational speech from top brass. We do it on our own.

General Petraeus said multiple times that his staff wrote his talk and these jokes; "I'm only as good as they write." I highly recommend watching the whole lecture on kbyu whenever it airs! He generally described the situation in central command and what he's responsible for and then opened up the balance of the time for Q&A.

• BYU Cadet
    March 29, 2010 10:23 a.m.

It was an honor to have the General visit campus. Although it would have been great to sit in the same auditorium with some of my companions, it was an honor to watch him and be on the same campus.

By the way, did nobody get that "Heber K. Romney" was satirical?

• Cadet Cloe
    March 29, 2010 11:06 a.m.

It's too bad that Gen. Petraeus couldn't speak @ the Marriot center. We have had several other keynote speakers for BYU forums that do not have the global impact of authority similar to his. His willingness to come here is not for recruitment but more for acknowledgment. The state of UT is the primary provider of all the linguists and the best provider of military intelligence personnel.
    I recommend that you remember that your opinions can be freely offered as they have been ONLY because someone else volunteered (or was drafted) to eliminate an enemy that you have never met, and hopefully will never ever have to. And also remember that those people who sacrifice don't do it for you. They do it for their brothers they are in the fight with. (Also mentioned in Gen. Petraeus' talk) "Get a life"???? No, live it, and live it well. Do something, and do it well. Enjoy your freedoms and show others respect by your words and actions always.

• Re: Army Soldier
    March 29, 2010 11:16 a.m.

Agreed Army Soldier, it was a bit disappointing to have to march around campus and not know what was going on or where we were going. I was looking forward to meeting or seeing General Petraeus. That being said, if all the cadets there that day (BYU, UVU, SUU, and Dixie) sat in that auditorium, there would not be any space for the public. You should have heard the cadets when he asked for that Hooah! I don't understand why they chose such a small auditorium for a distinguished speaker when they knew there would be such a large turnout. It was good to hear how intelligent spoke about even the most potentially controversial topics as well as have humour and humility about it. Overall, a great leader indeed.

(I say he runs for president as well)

• THEeyepatch
    March 29, 2010 4:33 p.m.

Great article, Des News! Thanks for posting it. BYU showed a lot of class in having a terrific military leader come to speak. And it shows the sense of humor the gentleman and the school both share. I was touched by the article. Thanks again.

• Funny
    March 29, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Funny stuff. Glad to see the General has a sense of humor. Thanks for your service.

• LDS Chaplain
    March 29, 2010 4:37 p.m.

Enjoyed the article. Wish I could have been there, but I'm off serving my country. The list was humorous. Glad to see folks like him speaking at my alma mater. I met him at a memorial ceremony (for an LDS Soldier, BTW, killed by an IED) once in Kirkuk, Iraq. Impressive fellow. Humble and a gentleman.

• Bryant Ridgway
    March 29, 2010 8:00 p.m.

Very funny! Enjoyed the remarks and I will pass this one along.

• Billy Bob
    March 30, 2010 12:16 p.m.

Outstanding General. You did your homework. God bless you and the US Army.

• Anonymous
    March 30, 2010 3:14 p.m.

"year's supply" not years' supply

• Anonymous
    March 30, 2010 9:48 p.m.

If you don't mind the base being finished 40 years later sure....

• Raymond Takashi Swenson
    March 31, 2010 3:04 p.m.

A man who has a PhD and learned all he could about the culture of Muslims in Iraq would surely learn as much as he could about the culture of Mormons at BYU. Besides, the head of the Army ROTC at BYU soldiered with him in the Middle East.

Anyone who wants to know how many Mormons serve in the armed forces should note that BYU has large Army and Air Force ROTC units; that so many young men admitted to the Air Force Academy resigned to serve LDS missions, and successfully returned and excelled, that the Academy now allows any cadet to take a two year sabbattical for study or service (LDS mission, Peace Corps, etc.); of my 2 sons, one served in the Army, and my son-in-law served 6 years at Space Command; that one of the daughters of Mike Young, president of the U of U, attended the AF Academy; that in my 20 years in the Air Force, there were substantial LDS congregations at every major Air Force base, including in Japan; and that the Utah National Guard is the main source of interpreters for the Army.

• Raymond Takashi Swenson
    March 31, 2010 3:21 p.m.

By the way, I can personally confirm item #9 about being designated drivers. I filled that role at many military dinners.

Let me also note that I have never encountered prejudice toward Mormons from senior military commanders. All joking aside, commanders appreciate working with people of integrity, the Mormons among them. And they have respected colleagues, fellow commanders, who are Mormons. The story earlier this week noted that the Petraeus visit was set up by retired General Robert Jordan, a soldier-scholar like Petraeus, who was at the Institute for Strategic and International Studies at Georgetown University when I was in his ward in Virginia.

I know of at least two members of the Seventy that were retired generals. Other LDS leaders served in various capacities, including President Monson (US Navy in WW II), President Uchtdorff (the modern German Air Force), Neal Maxwell (Army in WW II), Hugh B. Brown (Canadian Army in WW I), Lance Wickman (Army in Vietnam), and Richard G. Scott (a civilian nuclear engineer on the staff of Admiral Rickover).

• Kris
    March 31, 2010 9:48 p.m.

I think Max Hall helped him with #1. This was funny!

• Wes
    March 31, 2010 11:49 p.m.

Apparently many others have believed that General Petraeus would make an excellent president. However, there appears to be little chance of that happening.
    He was asked in an interview on Fox News if he might someday consider running for president. His answer was no.
    He is not into politics. He has purposely not voted since 2000. The reason is so he can avoid a political influence in his decision making, etc.
    He wants his entire focus to be on serving his country to the best of his ability.
    I think he would be the equal of, or more, of General Eisenhower. Unfortunately he makes his own decisions - independent of me.

• marc
    April 1, 2010 6:45 a.m.

very funny, very clever...

• Cutie in Az
    April 1, 2010 10:54 a.m.

I think his remarks are very funny and I enjoyed all comments..sure can tell who are biased in their oppinions about the church and BYU.

• George Stokes
    April 1, 2010 12:12 p.m.

I watched it all on a replay and he did get serious and did a great job.

• arelby
    April 1, 2010 3:36 p.m.

The General is a true gentleman, scholar and soldier. His 10 reasons display insight and respect, as well as good humor. We are blessed to have him at the head of our forces overseas.

• Joe
    April 1, 2010 8:07 p.m.

That is hilarious! How did he come up with these! He must've received help from a Mormon, or is he a Mormon? Way awesome!

• Darlene
    April 2, 2010 10:08 a.m.

As a member of the LDS church I don't think this was offensive, it just wasn't very funny. At all...Maybe his #1, to which I will reluctantly reply "Touch." But how many times do we have to hear jokes about these stereotypes? Let's hear something original, people! If I hear one more joke about green jello...;) And what about those LDS soldiers who attended the University of Utah? Hmmmm? I know a fair few. I don't know about you Y fans, but us U fans require a bit more originality and substance! (Okay, there's my shout-out to my alma mater in their defense.) If we're gonna hear a joke about the Church, make it good! NOT disrespectful, but at least chuckle-worthy and in good taste.

Still, a great message overall regardless of the botched attempt at making a joke. (For which I'm sure he is not at fault.) And his acknowledgement of of our outstanding LDS service-men and -women is very much appreciated. This is purely my opinion on the matter and not an attempt to insult or "hate on" the General. Oh, and "Go Utes!":)

• OK
    April 2, 2010 10:43 a.m.

I will have to admit that in boot camp, the LDS soldiers were usually the leaders.

• Redleg in Eugene
    April 2, 2010 12:28 p.m.

I truly appreciate his comic remarks. Wish I could have been in the MC to hear the whole thing. We've got to be able to laugh at ourselves once in a while... you've gotta love the "Axis of Evil" though... I'm sure my U of U friends will laugh harder than I did... Thanks General! (class of '79)

• Redleg in Eugene
    April 2, 2010 12:30 p.m.

• Spencer R. Clinton
    April 2, 2010 1:26 p.m.

Heber K is typical of all religious people, clinging to their guns and their faith when really most of the worlds disagreements could be solved the smart progressive way. We have to make sure we understand where our enemies are coming from, why we caused them to hate us. It really is our fault.

Just listen to the promises of the caring forward-thinking, leaders, empower them to tax, enable them to redistribute the wealth, and everyone will be just fine... trust us.

• Anonymous
    April 4, 2010 4:44 p.m.

haaaa

• an eastern mormon...
    April 6, 2010 10:20 a.m.

witty remarks that were meant for light-hearted ice breaking...there's a time & season for everything under the sun, even a time to laugh! ;)

• Dr. J
    April 6, 2010 10:31 a.m.

Great stuff. Nice that he took the time to connect with his audience.

• RJ
    April 11, 2010 7:12 a.m.

Pretty good, wish I had been there :)