Utah

Deseret Book looks ahead as it launches new flagship store

Comments

• newbie
    March 25, 2010 9:10 a.m.

as a non LDS person, I am excited about this. I like the Deseret Book Stores, and when i go downtown I can visit this place as well. I get great service and a fine selection of reading.
    I applaud and welcome the new store!

• Put out of business
    March 25, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Haven't most other stores like Deseret Book gone out of business in Utah? I think Desert Book is the only surviving one of its kind.

• Shame on Deseret Book...
    March 25, 2010 9:58 a.m.

for over pricing their products. I am LDS and am amazed at the prices.

• Debbie
    March 25, 2010 10:09 a.m.

I can't wait to see it. Sheri is right, sometimes you have to see the book to know you want it. If you can't recall the name or author you will have trouble finding it online. I am in such a situation right now and I'm sure the book I lost is still available and would recognize it when I see it. I love being inside a real bookstore and browsing to my heart's content. Glad to see Newbie's comments - someone from outside the church who isn't afraid of something associated with "Mormons" - thanks for your comments.

• Leana
    March 25, 2010 10:25 a.m.

Where are all the comments on these posts? I hardly ever read comments like there use to be. What happen to all the reading people? It's not too much fun to read comments any longer, there aren't any.

It is strange, but I as well, find Deseret Book way over priced.

• Amy, Ohio
    March 25, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Why another store in SLC? How about several in the mid west and east coast?

• Example
    March 25, 2010 10:49 a.m.

I am troubled when I shop at DB and find books by Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. As an active LDS listener, their radio monologues are offensive. Deseret Book prominantly displays Glenn Beck's book "Arguing With Idiots".

These divisive media celebrities are in direct opposition to Deseret Media's claim of respecting everyone.

These commentators, entertainers, or whatever you wish to call them spout political vitriolic commentary that undermines the Church's stated position of political neutrality. These people make their millionaire-living by denigrating the President and all those that support the President (about 50% of the electorate).

What message does supporting these commentators give to our children and young adults who shop at Deseret Book? Deseret Media needs to eliminate the stain of extreme politics from their media.

DMC and Ms. Dew, I applaud your new mission statement. It is predominantly reflected in the media you sponser, but not entirely. Please fully implement it!

• Pround LDS Supporter
    March 25, 2010 11:20 a.m.

I am not troubled at all by finding Sean hannity and Gelnn Becks's books in Deseret Book, as an active LDS person myself. While people's individual "style" may not comport with theirs, the underlying information and messages they have resonnate with LDS people FOR A GOOD REASON! They're more the mainstream of solid, American values and not the Secular Progressive (SP) movement contained everywhere else in the media. So if you don't like their material, then don't buy it.

I don't particularly like some of the LDS popular culture (stuff) DB offers, and some of the really campy, insipid LDS cinema offerings either, but I just walk away and don't buy them.

Let the free-market reign. That's a good LDS value and at odds with the SP idea of forced Socialism, government takeover of Health care and everything else.

Maybe Glenn's title of "idiots" is offensive? Maybe so. But then, sometimes the word FITS!

• CDs are Way Overpriced
    March 25, 2010 11:29 a.m.

It's absurt for Deseret Book to sell CDs at $16 and $18 apiece when most of those offerings are available on iTunes or similar sites for $10 or less. The MoTab's latest, Heavensong is a perfect example. $16.99 at the store; $11.99 on iTunes.

Hummmm --- what should I do?

Time to review your retail marketing plan...DB.

• Overpriced complaints
    March 25, 2010 11:44 a.m.

I've never had to deal with overpriced anything at Deseret Book! They've always said they'll price match anything, so price match your stuff, and you still get all their points! It's fantastic!

• Kim
    March 25, 2010 11:59 a.m.

Deseret Book carry's many books written by amateurs. Some extremely strange tales on them there shelves. Anyone who wants to write a fairytale can have it on the shelves tomorrow.

• I also think
    March 25, 2010 12:00 p.m.

that Glenn Becks b0ooks should be banned from Deseret Book. He is very offensive and has no place in a a church bookstore. The word idiot certainly applies in his case however. Just one mans opinion and I am an active member of the church.

• Banning Books?
    March 25, 2010 12:11 p.m.

Than an LDS person advocates banning books they don't agree with because of politics is troubling. What ever happened to teaching people "correct principles," and letting them "govern themselves?" And so "I also think" returns the label "idiot" on Glenn Beck after having just condemned its use as an "active member of the church?" Sorry, but that's hypocritical. Repent, brother, or Sister.

• to CDs are Way Overpriced
    March 25, 2010 12:23 p.m.

I guess you can quit buying them. Some people like to own the physical media. Others like you can get a better price by just getting the MP3 or whatever digital format...

I have no problem with their pricing...

• Anonymous
    March 25, 2010 12:24 p.m.

DB is another business catering to the LDS who think LDS members will pay any price for that association. Check the distribution center for MoTab cds and also for scriptures, other books might be less through Amazon.

• Anonymous
    March 25, 2010 1:12 p.m.

Half the stuff people write and put on Deseret Book shelves is complete malarkey. All i know is that there are some mighty odd ball minds out there who are way out in outer somewhere.

• El Guapo
    March 25, 2010 1:31 p.m.

Love the business model and the quality products. Best wishes on the new store opening.

• The Monolith of DB
    March 25, 2010 1:37 p.m.

I've worked with DB for a number of years now. In the 1990s they were a powerful force trying to expand their market share. Of course, they operated at a true fiscal loss, but that was to be expected (they serve a need). Then in the 2000s they seem to want or need to change in order to become profitable. This meant eliminating products from the shelves that didn't move unless there was a strong compelling reason (you can imagine those reasons). It also meant eliminating the competition as it was coming down to LDS retailers vs. the world (aka Walmart). If DB and Seagull kept carving up each other for a dwindling market share they were bound to both fold. So, now you have a pretty good business approach with DB stores acting as flagships, Seagull as the lower priced outlets and their online efforts seeking to meet the needs of non-wasatch front consumers. They seem to have found their footing. Of course, it is coming at the price of innovation, but they don't know anything else. They're a monolith, but they can't help themselves.

• willie augustine juwen
    March 25, 2010 1:50 p.m.

good to have bookstore...people from every kind can buy their book n keep it for life... something to remember like diary...LDS members do keep journal right...wish u have this bookstore in malaysia. wish to operate one in miri, east malaysia...help me with this...

• to Amy, Ohio
    March 25, 2010 2:13 p.m.

The fact is that bookstores that specialize in LDS material struggle outside Utah, Idaho & Arizona. Even in California, which has a much more substantial LDS population than the midwest and east coast, these kinds of stores struggle to survive. There simply aren't enough members east of the Rockies for a Deseret Book, or any other kind of LDS store, to be viable. Although a very few do exist/have existed (one adjacent to the Chicago temple, for example).

• Thanks DB, thanks
    March 25, 2010 2:16 p.m.

Deseret Book store is an experience. Thank you for being open. Of course I would like to see you in the mid-west but understand the market is limited. You are my first stop every time we visit Salt Lake. St. Louis fan.

• If I were in charge...
    March 25, 2010 2:55 p.m.

I would also not allow Glenn Beck's books in Deseret Book for the same reason that I would not place Anti-Mormon books on the shelves: both are literal trash that bring out the worst in people. I think Mr. Beck is only after money, he spews hate, and is an embarrassment to my religion.

• Re: banning books??
    March 25, 2010 3:21 p.m.

i have to disagree with you...yesterday i was in the DB Store in Sandy just off of 106th south and State street...and i saw that they had the BYU 2009 Football Season "cougar diary" and they even had the evil hate spewing completely discusting utah utes perfect sugar bowl season on DVD...they will sale anything!! they arent Bias!!! hahaha GO COUGARS!!!

• RE: Deseret Books
    March 25, 2010 3:25 p.m.

The last time I checked their inventory on Biblical Greek aids such as: Greek Bibles and interlinears,Greek Variants and appartause,as well as Greek Lexicon and Greek Bibles on cds, were non- existent, I had to go a long way, to a Christian book to store to attain the material. Does Deseret sell Greek Bibles?

• Novel Thought
    March 25, 2010 4:16 p.m.

I've got an idea. If you don't like what you see on the shelf you are welcome not to buy it. If you don't like the price offered you are welcome not to buy it. In fact you are perfectly welcome not to shop at DB. Why all the grumbling? Be happy there is a new location where you can exercise your choice and perhaps you may just find something in there you like.

• Jann
    March 25, 2010 4:23 p.m.

I live in the Midwest where there are very few LDS ppl. We had a weonderful bookstore in Omaha that was run by a daughter and Mom that was LDS oriented and was not Deseret Book but it served its purpose very well. I was saddened when it closed down; it was so cool to be able to go in there and browse and actually being able to get LDS books and not have to order them. That was one thing I really love is being able to go and browse in person. But since the bookstore closed, I have to settle for DB and ordering through the mail because we have no bookstores that carry LDS products. I wished we live close to an LDS bookstore.

• anonym.
    March 25, 2010 4:59 p.m.

Just so you're aware, "The Audacity of Hope" is sold in Deseret Book as well. There's nothing wrong with a little variety.

• No Beck books!
    March 25, 2010 6:38 p.m.

I love Deseret Book and am a faithful member of the church, however I was bothered by all the Glen Beck books displayed in the store. The problem with our country is hate and divison! Media millionaire shock jocks like Glen Beck DO NOT represent Mormon culture! I can't even believe Deseret book sells a tape about his conversion! The man only converted to snag a good looking Mormon gal! At least he's a convert - that explains everything. Glen Beck is so far away from what a Mormon are and he condones violence and hate against others. What would Jesus do? Take the books off the shelf Sheri Dew! If I hear members politicizing sacrament meeting one more time with quotes of Beck and the extreme Libertarian fringe I will come unglued! Glen Beck doesn't represent Mormons. Glen Beck hates the poor, weak, disabled elderly and suffering - all groups our church and Jesus loves.

• Mormon Culture??
    March 25, 2010 7:25 p.m.

I'm sick of Mormon Culture, and I'm an active mormon. The "Culture" is not the gospel!! I'm tired of cheezy books concocted by people wanting to cash-in; same with the terrible LDS movies.

• Another Mormon
    March 25, 2010 7:37 p.m.

I hear you 7:25. It is getting sickening and disgusting and many members feel the same as you and I. I have dumped Deseret Book once and for all. I would rather buy a book from a little business rather than money hungry Deseret Book. Deseret Book is too pompous for me.

• Book Buyer in NC
    March 25, 2010 7:48 p.m.

Congratulations to DB on their new store. I wish I lived closer to actually visit it! We are fortunate to have a bookstore close to the Raleigh NC Temple run by an LDS family. I support them as much as possible to help keep them in business. While I sometimes buy from DB online, I also buy online from Amazon and more recently from Books A Million on line. These are great outlets to find competitive pricing. I am grateful to be exposed to not only things that mirror exactly what I believe, but also those things that will help me to grow personally and spiritually--whether I agree and am stretched or do not like it and just do not buy it. Amazon has a "Look Inside" feature that allows you to read 7-8 pages of a book before deciding to buy. DB needs to add the same to their website!! Good luck on your new location!! Oh, there is nothing like being able to "heft" a book before purchasing it, but I find with the internet and local store near the Temple, I am not lacking in good books to read.

• Keep Beck, Hannity, and All
    March 26, 2010 6:27 a.m.

Liberal mormons who disdain conservative thought (must be tough living a double life) can't stand the fact the modern political commentaors Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity, Laura Ingram, and even Dr. Laura, have a wide audience with LDS people. I'm glad Deseret Book carries those titles as it serves a need. As earlier pointed out, they also carry Obama's Audacity of Hope (I'd call it Audacity of Deceit). All of these calls to ban books --I find offensive. I'm irritated to see our Socialist, Secular Progressive president's book in Deseret Book, but I would never, never, never tell Sheri Dew to ban the book!!! Liberals are always such hypocrites --whether in or out of the church. They're for pushing the boundaries of free-speech, except, when that speech differs from them!!!

• Ernest T. Bass
    March 26, 2010 8:10 a.m.

This will bring so many great blessings. We are all so richly blessed because of these rich blessings.

• Barbara
    March 26, 2010 8:35 a.m.

I agree with "mormon culture" writer. Some of the so-called "Mormon" books are poorly written, manipulative and cheesy. Yea, even "cheeze wizzy".

• OC Surfer
    March 26, 2010 8:36 a.m.

Just a pet peeve as a temple going, active Mormon, but why does the DB Store looks like a glorified Franklin Covey Store? Boring Utah beige colors, black ceiling...Yawn...

How 'bout some cool comtemporary colors, decor, with a store with has a more loft and fresh (and youthful) feel?

Dowdy and the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ don't have to go hand in hand. Just sayin'....

• Excited
    March 26, 2010 8:37 a.m.

I am looking forward to seeing this new store when I get to Salt Lake.

• to6:27
    March 26, 2010 8:51 a.m.

Isn't that the truth.

• What a GREAT store !!! WOW !!!
    March 26, 2010 11:31 a.m.

I just came from the new Deseret Book store. WOW !! WOW !! WOW !! It is so cool. It is such a nice store and I loved everything about it. I really loved the new art section.... The Zions Mercantile area was so cool. Every part of this store was very very well done. I will visit this store often...I loved it.

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 2:42 p.m.

What a great rip-off brainwashing baloney store.