U.S. & World

Poll: Utahns like some parts of health care reform, oppose mandate

Comments

• oremite
    March 23, 2010 12:23 a.m.

My common sense guides me to believe that insuring everyone nice thought, but nice is sometimes what ends up hurting us the most. It does not make financial sense to do this, and yes, it is financial. We may be the poorest country in the world considering the amount of debt that has been incurred. When I here that we deserve insurance, or the best health coverage in the world for one reason or another I cannot see an ounce of intelligence in that conclusion. Take away my liberty and my motivation to contribute to society dwindles rapidly.

• MormonDem
    March 23, 2010 12:52 a.m.

This poll bears out the findings of other polls throughout the nation: that the opposition to health care reform is more a result of ignorance of, rather than opposition to, the bill's contents. People have gotten worked up into such an Obamaphobic tizzy, if you say "Obama's plan" they freak out. But if you just tell them what's in the plan, they like it. And the more they learn about it, the more they like it.

Watch for a dramatic swing in public opinion over the next few months, as people discover that Republicans lied to them about death panels, etc., and that when Republicans say they want to repeal health care what they mean is that they want to put the hole back in the Medicare donut, take insurance away from children with pre-existing conditions, slash funding for community health centers, put back in the lifetime and annual caps, reduce the reimbursement incentives for primary care and pediatric physicians, etc.

That's what happens when you predict doom and gloom, GOP. If it doesn't convince enough people, you're left standing there like a bearded idiot with a "THE END IS NEAR" sign.

• Utahns like the part
    March 23, 2010 1:12 a.m.

where the healthcare bill gets invalidated by people who support liberty. It is unconstitutional to require me to have health insurance. One way or another, this bill/law cannot survive because it denies reality and opposes natural law.

• BYU alum
    March 23, 2010 1:17 a.m.

WWJD? Work to get everyone insured.

The bill is a big step in the right direction.

• Ms Gee
    March 23, 2010 1:21 a.m.

I don't know where they pull these polls out of, it must be at the prayer meeting, because everyone I have spoken to in our Corp. office likes the idea. So many of these Boomers are so afraid of change that it is an obsession with them. This will not come into affect until 2018 and there are many changes to come. So we will join other nations in caring about others instead of only ourselves. What a Consept! Shame on all of you greedy people! Remember this "QUOTE" We have nothing to fear but fear itself! {R.R.) Change is good it makes you tougher! So toughen up!

• Ms Gee
    March 23, 2010 1:25 a.m.

A Concept! but I'm sure this won't make into the Deseret news lol

• Only 40% strongly disagree??????
    March 23, 2010 1:26 a.m.

Only 40% strongly disagree that they should be required to have health insurance??!!??!!??

Are the other 60% of Utahns INSANE??? There are 17% who "somewhat" disagree with surrendering their liberty, while 42% (plus 1% uncertain) think it is good that they are giving up their liberty? Has America become so brain-dead?

What that clause in the legislation means is that you cannot say no to it! You either get insurance like Obama says or you are in violation of the law. YOU HAVE NO CHOICE. Notice that there is no clause to ensure freedom in this legislation.

I hope there is a lot of extra money in the healthcare bill (law?) for psychiatric services, because a lot of Americans are in need of it.

• Mike
    March 23, 2010 4:19 a.m.

Given the fact that many of the predominant faith here in utah can go groveling to the church for assistance with medical bills. It doesn't surprize me that so many oppose the Health Care Bill.

Can't really blame people who always want something for free. That's what's wrong with america today to many people want a free ride at the governments expense.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 5:10 a.m.

The cost paid by Americans in the War on terror over the last 8 yrs, would have paid for every man woman and child in America total health care for the next 50 yrs. So wheres your'e priority now?

• Move onto jobs and energy
    March 23, 2010 6:09 a.m.

What worries me the most now is that the GOP is going to be so focused on stopping Obamacare that it will forget about jobs and energy, which are also massive problems facing this nation. GOP, you lost on this one. This is no different when Dems lost on tax cuts for the rich under Bush.

Not only have Dems made progress on healthcare, but they're make great stides in our wars in the Mideast. Obama has waged more attacks on Al-Qaeda just this year alone than Bush ever did! The GOP cannot allow the Dems to make progress on war, jobs and energy alone while they spend all their time trying to dismantle Obamacare... the irony will be that Dems will take even more credit for cleaning up the economic, energy, and war messes that Bush left us.

• Time
    March 23, 2010 6:53 a.m.

Hmmm. The poorest country in the world because of our debt? We don't even have the highest percentage of gdp debt in the world.

And where was all this debt talk when the GOP was running it up? The debt nearly doubled during W's watch, but we didn't hear the conservative talk then.

I believe people deserve access to medical care, rich or otherwise. If you leave the insurance companies to regulate themselves, why do you expect the health care industry to run better than the suddenly underregulated banking sector?

Conservatives want big business free from oversight, then complain about the unscrupulous fat cats who abuse that lack of oversight. Make up your minds.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 7:05 a.m.

I'm betting Utahns don't know the content of the bill, even in summary form. So at this stage, this poll means nothing at all. Maybe the newspaper should do more to educate people BEFORE asking their opinions. This poll does, however, indicate that Utahns want their cake and eat it too.

• kwm
    March 23, 2010 7:06 a.m.

This shows that people in our great state are niave and believe the fear mongering. They didn't even bother to find out specifics of this bill. Sheep. Mark Shurtliff will take advantage of them by making what he thinks is a political statement. Good Luck because when people stop, listen and benefit from this bill they will know they were taken....

• Re: MormonDem
    March 23, 2010 7:13 a.m.

Please enlighten us with what exactly is in the bill. Not just little bits and pieces, but the entire bill. My understanding is that it is thousands of pages long and nobody has even read it. Sound familiar? Remember the bailout? I doubt that you even know everthing that is in the bill. But hey, if Obama passed it, it must be good. No need to read it and find out for yourself, right?

• 60 percenter
    March 23, 2010 7:24 a.m.

Then insanity is in somehow convincing yourself that you will never need insurance or that you will ever be in the position to deal with the costs some other way when you do. You will need health insurance.

• Bob
    March 23, 2010 7:29 a.m.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is it OK for Republicans to require everyone to get health insurance, i.e. Romney in Massachusetts, but not for Democrats?

• better poll question
    March 23, 2010 7:33 a.m.

The "mandate" would not be opposed by most Utahns if the question described it accurately. "Do you believe people who are eligible to receive government assistance to purchase health insurance for their family should be required to pay a small amount of that cost themselves?"

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 7:41 a.m.

Democrats are the party of "Hope". Republicans are the party of "Nope".

• rideacruiser
    March 23, 2010 7:52 a.m.

Well said, MormonDem...VERY well said. Thank you for being objective about such matters. Here's one venue where emotionally driven politics has taken a huge sector of our country way off track. You are a beacon of common sense in a sea of hysteria, if not well-intentioned radicalism.

• I like the bill and they did not
    March 23, 2010 8:11 a.m.

call me.

So call me, I'm for this bill.

If you don't like it reach into your purse and pay for your medical bills.

You don't have kids but you are forced to pay property taxes that build schools for the kids you don't have.

Perhaps we can get our Attorney General to file an action for all the people in Utah that don't have kids and don't want to be forced to pay their property taxes?

Utah, a very dumb state.

• How bout this???
    March 23, 2010 8:15 a.m.

Apparently, the moderator didn't like the way I stated it last time, let me try again: In Section 1303 (see 1303.b.2.d), every American's policy will be taxed by at least one dollar to fund ELECTIVE abortions. Now, if that fact were pointed out by the pollster, what would the numbers look like? So, when some immoral Senator cheats on his wife and gets an intern pregnant, guess who gets to help pay for her abortion??? And our good friend Harry "the mormon" Reid didn't do squat to get that out of the Bill. His poll numbers aren't looking too hot either. WWJD, INDEED! I guarantee you he's not in favor of elective, tax-funded abortions! I hope the moderator sees the value of allowing me to quote the bill so we are all better informed.

• anon
    March 23, 2010 8:17 a.m.

It has been very difficult to find the actual information about what exactly is in this bill. All discussion has been in generalities - not details. I feel very strongly (I have for years) that we need some kind of reform in health care (and I am a Republican), but it is what else that was added to this bill that has me worried. Too many deals for votes type stuff. Neither party wants to work together and to me that is our greatest problem!

• better poll question?
    March 23, 2010 8:28 a.m.

no, The question should be "should you have to pay for someone elses health insurance"? The goverment does not have any money unless they take it from me and you. Take responsiblily for your self first. Then help others buy choosing to help them, not buy a government mandate!!!!!

• Lifelong Republican
    March 23, 2010 8:29 a.m.

As a repub, I fail to see what everyone is against.

This is a step in the right direction. Of course there is a lot of work to go but having a family member with type 1 diabetes (the kind you get as a child, not the kind you get from being overweight), I know how ruthless the insurance companies can be.

There is no reason in our country why every single person shouldn't be covered.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 8:31 a.m.

The republicans in Utah want an uneducated work force without health insurance.

The kill public ed and they want to kill health care.

Exactly what do they want?

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 8:33 a.m.

YESSSS!! We love the part that says we are going to get something, but we hate the part that says we are going to be forced to have it and to pay for it. What a surprise.

Democrats are the party of "Give me something for nothing so I can have everything my neighbor has even if I don't earn it." The Republicans are the party of self-reliance and free enterprise.

• Cats
    March 23, 2010 8:33 a.m.

MormonDem has the same problem that most liberals have. That is, if you don't agree with them, it's because you're just kind of dumb. Also, that they know what's best for everyone and we should all just trust them to know what best for us because they are the anointed.

This bill is a disaster and will bankrupt the country. I thought we had learned something from the New Deal, but apparently many haven't.

Health Care is NOT a right. It is a good. It is something we should all strive for, but it is NOT a right.

I think it's so funny that rideacruiser thinks that it's emotions that have taken the country off track when most of the positions that liberals take are driven solely by emotion rather than common sense.

Don't give up. We have only just begun to fight.

• declaration and constitution
    March 23, 2010 8:38 a.m.

There is no right to have insurance, or a right to good health in the decleration or constitution that founded this country. There is freedom established and protected. You have ind rights, I have ind rights, so don't tell me I have to buy health insurance, or pay higher taxes that will help others pay for health insurance. Life happens, and sometimes thats bad health or accidents(even if we take care of ourselfs) but that doesn't mean I have to buy or pay for someone else and their illness or accidents.

• Emjay
    March 23, 2010 8:39 a.m.

Not only has MormonDem adopted two competing philosophies (his/her user name proclaims that), he/she has bought into the Democrat propoganda that people actually support the legislation.

The fact is, SOME of the provisions in the legislation are supported by many people. The majority of the bill is a disaster and will bankrupt this nation. In addition, NO ONE should EVER be forced to buy a product under penalty of law. That is in complete contradiction to our Constitution.

That's why there was BI-PARTISON opposition to the legislation. Even many Democrats see this and refused to go down with the ship.

• xscribe
    March 23, 2010 8:40 a.m.

I like the posts that have to call people names or say they are brain dead or crazy for wanting this bill. The American way: Only my opinion matters; and by the way, my opinion is the right opinion. Come on right-wingers, half of America wanted this bill; and most of those that don't, as evidenced by this Utah study, when questioned about the specifics of the bill, liked what they heard. It was only because it was a democratic bill that they don't like it, only because of the fear put into them by all the conservative politicians. But that's the typical way the right-wing works: fear and name-calling when something doesn't go their way. It's only been a year, and we've had two or three inappropriate outbursts and comments from the conservatives. As I've stated before, they do know how to fight, and fight dirty!

• 5 or 6 good things
    March 23, 2010 8:46 a.m.

I think it's a joke how the media keeps pointing out the 5 or 6 things that are good about the bill. It's 2700 pages so of course there should be a couple of things people like. What about all the other bad things in the bill that make it a bad bill. 5 or 6 good things does not compensate for all of the bad consequences that are sure to come because of this take over of the healthcare industry.

• @ anon | 8:17 a.m
    March 23, 2010 8:51 a.m.

Perhaps you could do some of your own research then. You seem to have the internet, all the information has been available since the start but like most Americans you prefer to remain ignorant and let someone with an agenda TELL you about the bill.

• They didn't poll me
    March 23, 2010 8:51 a.m.

I don't like that you have to have insurance or face paying a penalty. America is supposed to be free. The only people making out on this are the insurance companies. My insurance rates are now going to go from $126 per month to over $400 per month. Sure, I favor this bill.

• Dixie Dan
    March 23, 2010 8:53 a.m.

To bad Sarah Palin won't be in our state to discuss the Death Panel portion of this bill. I think it would be great if she appeared and spoke in detail about it.

• Re: Bob
    March 23, 2010 9:01 a.m.

Massachusetts is bankrupt!!!! The health care plan is the reason; it has failed miserably. Educate yourself before you open your mouth. You're probably ok with the country being bankrupt as long as you can sit on your lazy rear-end and get "Something for Nothing" - The liberal calling card. GET SOME INTEGRITY.

• socialism
    March 23, 2010 9:54 a.m.

Ha, ha, we are already practicing solcialism and we are already lost our freedom and liberty, because we are mandated to have our kids to receive k-12 education. Why is no body suing for it?

• MormonDem
    March 23, 2010 10:08 a.m.

"MormonDem has the same problem that most liberals have. That is, if you don't agree with them, it's because you're just kind of dumb."

I didn't say that, I was just referring to polls. You can read them yourselves. You ask the question "Do you like Obama's plan," you get one answer, but if you ask if people like the things that are actually in the plan, you get overwhelmingly positive responses. That's not me calling somebody stupid. That's simply a poll that shows empirically that the people who are most opposed to the bill are the people that know the least about what's in it, and that the people that know more about the bills contents are far more likely to support it.

Wait, no, did I say bill? It's 10:07; the ink is on the page. I meant LAW.

• Re: Charlies
    March 23, 2010 10:11 a.m.

When you shout "stupid" - you make yourself a fool to other readers.

"This bill will kill the health insurance industry" - Insurance compaies' stocks go up 5-10 point today because they will soon have more customers.

"Throws us in a third-world nation status" - When this won't happen you and the Repulican will lost your credibility. Why don't you continue to spew the "Death Panel" but the new lie of "no specialty services?"

• To: BYU alum
    March 23, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Apparently you missed the lecture in you pre life on free agency and the ability to choose and make decisions for your own life. Oh, maybe you were in the other lecture on forcing everyone to do what they needed to and giving the government all the power.

• Re: How bout This?
    March 23, 2010 10:32 a.m.

Hey How Bout This, section 1303 of the bill discusses primary care services. It doesn't touch upon abortion at all. Did you think that one up yourself, or just mindlessly repeat someone else who was equally as dense?

• MormonDem
    March 23, 2010 10:33 a.m.

To: To: BYU alum | 10:19 a.m.,

No one is forced to buy insurance. They can pay the fee instead. That way, their fee offsets part of the cost for when they discover that they aren't invincible after all and show up at the emergency room without insurance but in need of urgent care.

• Economic Impact
    March 23, 2010 10:50 a.m.

One of the greatest negative impacts to our current economy is the impact to families who don't have or can't get insurance because of the high cost or because of pre-existing conditions or because they have graduated from High School, and do not move on to college where they are covered by parental insurance. All of these people have to pay for medical emergencies by cash or credit card. They can't put it towards mortgages paying down debt like someone who has the Luxury of having full insurance does have. Do I make more money than my 20 year old daughter that can't find a job that will pay insurance...ABSOLUTY!!! Is it fair that I can afford insurance and she cannot...after all, she works as many hours as I do....
    Answer..no it's not fair. I want my kids to have insurance...the kind they can afford like the kind I can afford. This Health Care provides that option....something the GOP wouldn't do...
    If it takes care of my kids...then I'm voting for it...because for me...My Family comes 1st!!!!

• afrostblack
    March 23, 2010 10:56 a.m.

"more than three-fourths of the respondents agree with requiring private insurers to cover pre-existing conditions, a loophole that carriers use to exclude or drop plan members they deem too sick and too expensive."

These are two opposing issues that can't be combined into one question.

Of course people agree with insurers not dropping existing plan members they deem too sick or too expensive. People buy insurance to cover unexpected events in their lives. I would also argue that any insurance company that did drop existing plan members after they got sick would not be in business very long regardless of legislation.

However, excluding health insurance for somebody who has an existing condition makes sense. You can't wait until your house burns down and then go buy fire insurance. That's not how insurance is supposed to work.

The real problem is that government has turned insurance into something it was never intended to be and now nobody plans for their health costs because they expect their insurance to cover everything.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:21 a.m.

I live in Utah.
    I like the healthcare bill.

The humanity....!

• This is not....
    March 23, 2010 11:33 a.m.

This is not really about health. We all want health care. What is horrible about this bill is the dictatorship and socialism behind it. It is an unconsittutional take over of a huge section of the private sector.

• Hey, shill...
    March 23, 2010 11:34 a.m.

So the shill at DN is bucking for a new journalism job out in the "real" world. That many UTAHNS agree with "parts" of the bill? Doubt it. And I doubt that a majority of the leftie commenters here aren't being paid by a "grass roots" group to comment. How about focusing on HOW it was passed, huh DN?

• RE: Anonymous | 7:05 a.m.
    March 23, 2010 11:51 a.m.

I'm betting Congress doesn't know the content of the bill, even in summary form. So at this stage, their vote means nothing at all. Maybe Congress should do more to educate themselves BEFORE voting on a huge bill. This vote does, however, indicate that Congress is stupid.

• to MormonDem
    March 23, 2010 12:00 p.m.

You can make all the conclusions you want, but that doesn't mean they're warranted.

Let's take an imaginary poll:

Would you like to reduce your mortgage payments?

Would you like to pay less in utilities?

Would you like to pay less in HOA fees and property tax?

Would you like to pay less in homeowners' insurance?

Everyone would answer yes to those questions. Now let's package that in a bill that confiscates all property and gives it to the state. Would you support that bill now?

• Fox Noise will move on
    March 23, 2010 12:11 p.m.

to the next "outrage" and so will most of the common taters on this thread sometime next week. Until then, expect more hyperbole.

• Standards
    March 23, 2010 12:15 p.m.

Is it o.k. for the GOP to use the same types of tactics the Dems did to REPEAL the bill as were used to PASS it?

For example: maybe ALL of the states who vote for REPEAL of Obamacare could be excused from paying federal income tax. Or - maybe, if you're one of those senators IN FAVOR of Obamacare, maybe you might change your mind if your state were to receive say, 300 million for "rebuilding" (it doesn't matter really WHAT you're rebuilding, only that you are capable of accepting "incentives".)

Whats good for the goose.....the gander!

The Demos have opened a LARGE DOOR with their underhanded moves on this piece of legislation!

The bribery and dirty tricks reminds me so much of the Nixon years. A large DISSERVICE was done to politics by Nixon's tactics, and the same thing is NOW happening with Congress!

Pelosi, Reid, et.al. have NO IDEA how much DAMAGE they've done regarding America's respect for Congress!

End justifies the means?

We'll see!

• Monsieur le prof
    March 23, 2010 12:30 p.m.

Philosophically, I'm against the bill because it's being FORCED onto EVERYONE, even though a majority of Americans were totally against it. I'm against the heavy-handed way it was handled and jammed down our throats. So much for American self-reliance! It is definitely a giant step towards Socialism!

Practically, I've seen socialistic health systems in Europe and know how much they cost (50% taxes!) and how inefficient they are (There were people in Great Britain pulling out their own teeth with pliers because they couldn't get into the dentist's office).

It WILL raise taxes. It WILL lower the quality of care. It WILL mean slower response times. It WILL cost more than estimated. It WILL increase government control and bureaucracy. It WILL burden future generations with incredible debt. It MAY eventually force private insurance companies out of business because of the "existing conditions" clause.

All this to "solve" a problem that could have been fixed quicker, more efficiently, and with less expense. This was done not for the benefit of Americans, but to feed the egos and pride of people in power.

• cm
    March 23, 2010 12:31 p.m.

"You can't wait until your house burns down and then go buy fire insurance. That's not how insurance is supposed to work."

So kids that are born with birth defects, or kids that have had cancer or have other serious diseases like type I diabetes or asthma while on their parent's health insurance shouldn't be able to get their own individual health insurance once they age out of their parent's insurance? What are they supposed to do?

• Mike and the church
    March 23, 2010 12:41 p.m.

Mike, you do not understand the program of the "predominant church" here in Utah. The "
    grovelers" are the people who lean on big government to solve their problems. The "dominant church" and it's humanitarian efforts are based on freedom, not the heavy hand of the Federal Government. Maybe you should get involved with the "dominant church" and see how things should be done to help the needy. Or, be quiet about something you do not understnad.

• to cm | 12:31 p.m.
    March 23, 2010 12:51 p.m.

Simple. If someone has been on insurance since before they got their "condition," either they stay with the same insurance company, or we devise some system of selling a customer from one company to another.

• Ruin the whole barrel to save 5
    March 23, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Yes let's ruin the whole barrel of apples for the sake of saving 5. Makes no sense to me. Makes total sense to Obama .

• umm
    March 23, 2010 1:15 p.m.

I like parts of the atomic bomb - but as a whole it doesnt really work for me (at least not when dropped on me - I suppose it is OK for destroying my enemy)

I like parts of Obamacare - but I still think the overall product, concept and process was pathetic and I will do what I can to get Pelosi, Reid and Obama out of office.

Guess that means I am a right-wing nut job (but I will consider the source on that criticism - being told I am stupid by a stepford leftist isnt all that credible, in fact it is kind of a badge of honor)

• cm
    March 23, 2010 1:24 p.m.

Insurance companies currently reject kids with pre-existing conditions when they age off of of their parent's policy. Good luck trying to transfer from a group policy to an individual policy with the same company if you have a pre-existing condition.
    Why would an insurance company accept a person with a pre-existing condition unless they are required to by law? They aren't going to do it out of the kindness of their heart.

• Kevin T
    March 23, 2010 1:42 p.m.

Summary:

Utahns don't like democrats or black people,
    but they like good health care.

• Jake
    March 23, 2010 1:45 p.m.

This is much worse than Nixon. Any time the Government provides a program it doubles the cost of the service. I think they have taken control of Education at the same time. How sick!

• IRS need work
    March 23, 2010 2:45 p.m.

Anyone happy with the size of the IRS code, the length of the forms, the fact you need to hire an expert to figure out your taxes? Welcome to health care in the 21st century!

The health care code is 2,700 pages with more coming. For the next number of years, it will be revised and altered until you will have to hire an expert to help you pay for a doctor check-up.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 3:12 p.m.

Anyone happy with Medicare? Social Security? VA benifits? Unemployment?
    No one will care of the process of how healthcare was passed, that is the job of the legislation, no, Americans care about RESULTS!
    As those who are under VA, Medicare, etc are fierce advocates for these programs, it is inevitable...

the more people use goverment programs, the more they defend it.

• MormonDem
    March 23, 2010 4:33 p.m.

Where is everyone getting the idea that the American people are opposed to this bill? A CNN poll found just before the bill's passage found that 52% of Americans either were happy with the bill or thought it wasn't liberal enough. A new Gallup poll today puts the favor/oppose spread at +9 points.

Or are you doing your math based on the mistaken Tea Party philosophy that if you holler twice as loud your vote counts twice as much?

Here's how we do things in America. We have elections. We elect people that we think will do the things we want. In 2006 and 2008, Americans overwhelmingly spoke not with their voices or their tea bags, but with their votes. Those that won in 2006 and 2008 did so largely on the promise of health care reform. They're finally delivering on that promise they made to the people that elected them.

A bill was passed by duly-elected majorities in both chambers of the house and signed into law by the President. That's how it works in America.

You can holler and stomp your feet all you want, but YOU LOST.

• to cm | 1:24 p.m.
    March 23, 2010 4:35 p.m.

I would agree that some law would probably be required to prevent a company from dropping a kid when he outgrows his parents' insurance, but that could easily be fixed by disallowing someone who has previously paid into the system from being dropped. Switching insurance companies would be a problem for anyone, regardless of whether they're a child or not

• no nothing
    March 23, 2010 4:43 p.m.

We know little if nothing about this health care bill that was written with the help of big labor (andy stern) and leftists in the shadows.
    When you ask if we would like 'pre-exisisting' conditions to be covered, of course we say yes we would. too bad we can't deal with reality - that is is an idle promise, one that we cannot afford to keep!!!! remember folks, our country is going broke. We are going to experience the consequences of government takover of our economic future. look at europe, you know, the ones that obama wants us to be like (socialists) and tell me we aren't going to go bust just like them!

• @3:12
    March 24, 2010 10:34 p.m.

"Anyone happy with the size of the IRS code, the length of the forms, the fact you need to hire an expert to figure out your taxes?"

I'm extremely happy about this!! I'm a tax accountant.

By the way, it is interesting how I'm finally hearing some real discussion about what the Republicans think of health care reform. They realize that much of the legislation is in fact positive. They disagree with the mandate and the expansion of Medicare but for the most part are willing to accept most of the regulations imposed in insurance companies. WHY didn't the party put this together in a coherent proposal and bring these ideas to the American public. Instead, the Republicans have earned the nickname "Party of "NO!". If the health care law doesn't end up being as bad as they think it will harm their credibility and strengthen the Democrats.

You do know that the status quo wasn't working and reform was needed. Why why WHY didn't you do anything about it?

Back to work now …. I won’t even bill my client for this time.

• We like it
    March 26, 2010 10:03 a.m.

Of course most Utahns like what's in the bill. It makes sense. It makes sense that insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to drop someone for getting sick--duh. That's why they got insurance! It even makes sense to mandate people to get insurance, so that we aren't forced to pay the tab when the uninsured eventually get sick and end up at the emergency room. It's not fair that our premiums are rising because some people are too irresponsible to get insurance or too naive and believe there's no chance they could ever get sick. They only reason Utahns claim to oppose the bill as a whole (even though they like most of the components) is because they don't think for themselves and Rush and Glen told them they should hate it.

• well then listen to the public
    March 27, 2010 11:08 p.m.

You MUST listen to the public Utah. 49 percent in favor 48 against. The GOP agrees that polls mean that the government must listen to the people and support the health care reform bill. Done deal thanks you, spank you.