Utah

Former NBA player, ex-Cougar Shawn Bradley seeking office, among surprises on filing day

Comments

• Anonymous
    March 19, 2010 6:56 p.m.

Good to see politics hasn't become circus in utah.

• CJ
    March 19, 2010 7:18 p.m.

Anybody is better than Cosgrove who is as liberal as they come, he shouldn't represent this district.

• Ute Fan
    March 19, 2010 7:21 p.m.

Shawn Bradley is a class act. Very honest and kind person. Something Washington does not have or I cannot see it. These are the people I will vote for.

• Well...
    March 19, 2010 7:23 p.m.

more power to Shawn and what a sight he will to behold inside the State Capitol. A 7 plus footer politician.......LOL!! Go for it Shawn....

• Shawn.........
    March 19, 2010 7:35 p.m.

I hope you have more substance than many of the current politicians in our state. If you have any skeletons then get them out of the closet now. Try not to be a lapdog for those who want to us your fame to further thier agenda.

• Cosgrove
    March 19, 2010 7:47 p.m.

is the most decent and kind person serving in the legislature. He is a real champion for our children. Nothing against Mr. Bradley, but Tim Cosgrove deserves re-election.

• Certainly
    March 19, 2010 7:51 p.m.

A legislator we'd look up to.

Ute fan, you DO understand he is running for office for the state legislature, not for a federal position?

• Things are looking up
    March 19, 2010 8:30 p.m.

Shawn Bradley running for office?? Sounds like a pretty tall order to me. But he may reach new heights. He certainly does have high aspirations. I just hope his campaigning isn't over our heads because this isn't going to be a slam dunk.

• Cali Marty
    March 19, 2010 9:10 p.m.

Shawn B. Go For itttttt!!

• Anonymous
    March 19, 2010 9:35 p.m.

"Gibson may be retiring from the Legislature, but he has decided to run for the Weber County Commission instead.

"I decided it was time to serve a little closer to home," he said. "I'm hoping I can make a bigger difference to the everyday lives of those who live in my community."

It is more likely that he decided that the pay for a County Commissioner was better then the pay for the State Legislature and decided to get a pay raise.

• observing
    March 19, 2010 10:17 p.m.

I know Shawn Bradley and his family and the jokes here are from small-minded people. His mom, Teresa, and his dad, Reiner, are two of the nicest, most honest and down-to-earth, GOOD people I have ever known. Make jokes about Shawn's size if you will, but he would make a very good candidate.

• boo
    March 19, 2010 10:39 p.m.

hey observing... I don't think they meant anything by it with the tall jokes... lighten up! I thought they were pretty funny! Shawn sounds like a great guy, and I'm sure he has heard jokes about his height before!

• Bradley
    March 19, 2010 11:25 p.m.

Does he even have a college degree? I know he left after his freshman year to go on a mission and then went straight to the NBA. Did he go back to school after the nba?

• Worked with troubled youth
    March 20, 2010 12:04 a.m.

I imagine he earned his degree sometime... I know he has been working at a school for troubled teens or something like that. I think the guy is a class act. Go Shawn!!!!

• Huh
    March 20, 2010 12:11 a.m.

Do you need a college degree to run for office? I don't think so!

• No Degree Required
    March 20, 2010 12:17 a.m.

One need not have a college degree to run for office. Just FYI.

• come on
    March 20, 2010 12:31 a.m.

Give the utahn's a rest shawn.

• Janadele
    March 20, 2010 3:45 a.m.

Good luck SHAWN from Australia...

Yes we still remember you :-)

• Great Politician, Maybe
    March 20, 2010 4:56 a.m.

At first I thought Shawn Bradley in politics would be a bad idea. Remember his temper and immaturity? Always arguing with refs and opponents, etc.

Then I realized that maybe that's the kind of person needed in elected government sometimes, someone who will fight for constituents and not take "no" for an answer. This could work.

• Cosgrove Fan
    March 20, 2010 5:52 a.m.

I know Tim Cosgrove, and he has done a great job representing the citizens of Murray in the Utah legislature. He is knowledgeable, fair, honest and ethical! He listens to his constituents and runs for office on his own merits instead of slamming his opponents who have tried smear campaigns against him in the past. I have nothing against Shawn Bradley, but I hope he will not earn votes based on his name recognition, his size, or just because he played for the NBA.

• ok
    March 20, 2010 6:15 a.m.

Shawn good luck. I hope YOU decided to run for the office and that the "king makers" didn't talk you into it. Seriously, there are the "king makers" in politics, even in mighty Utah. I know. I ran for office and a "king maker" showed up to promise me publicity in his newspaper chain. All below the radar.

So Shawn, ask yourself, who has visited me and why.

• CJ is WRONG!
    March 20, 2010 6:22 a.m.

That is completely untrue, CJ. Tim Cosgrove is a moderate. To say he is as liberal as they come is either a complete lie or you haven't talked to him and studied his positions on the issues. He is a very "family friendly" candidate, and just because he supports public education doesn't make him extremely liberal.

• Don't care
    March 20, 2010 7:15 a.m.

who runs on what ticket. HAVE TO DUMP BENNETT. He fits right in with Harry Reid. Well, no one is as dumb as Harry Reid.

• Great
    March 20, 2010 7:49 a.m.

Dear Come on: I guess you feel you should stand at the registraton office and screen who gets to file a petition for office. Your comment is acerbic.

Dear Ute Fan. Did you fail reading comprehension or Civics in high school, because you either did not read he is running for a state office or you do not understand the various levels of government.

Dear Looking Up. I laughed for 5 minutes over your remarks. Very witty and funny. Anyone offended by them is simply lacking a sense of humor.

He and his 5' 2" wife are just wonderful.

Integrity is what we need and he can bring it. We have too many laughable state legislators already who seem to have lost their way concerning integrity.

Last time I checked you don't even have to have attended any school anwyhere to run for office.

• Balancing act
    March 20, 2010 8:13 a.m.

Do we really need another Republican in the Utah state legislature?

• Go Shawn
    March 20, 2010 8:49 a.m.

Utah has a good state legislature and you can make it better. Best of luck.

• Paulitico Analyst
    March 20, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Clearly, this is a political tactic by republicans to unseat a democrat, replacing him with someone that can easily be swayed to vote their way. The republicans hope is that by presenting a recognizable celebrity name and he Bradley will stroll through the election.

• Cats
    March 20, 2010 9:48 a.m.

The MOST important thing is to vote out Jim Matheson this year.

A VOTE FOR MATHESON IS A VOTE FOR PELOSI.

No matter how much Matheson tries to claim he is "independent" and he is a "conservative Democrat," don't buy it. The very fact of his being in Congress helps Nancy Pelosi to stay in power.

His office is not even taking calls about this health-care farce.

We need to get rid of Matheson. That's the most important thing we can do, this year, to fight for our country!

• DH
    March 20, 2010 10:17 a.m.

We need to start a movement that gets everyone of our elected officials out of office. It is time the American people tell these politicians that if they are not going to seek what is best for America then they cannot serve. I am very tired of politicians who only care about keeping their party in power. There are good ideas on both sides but they never become reality because one party does not want to admit the other had a good idea.

GET THEM ALL OUT OF OFFICE!

• Imbalanced
    March 20, 2010 10:33 a.m.

• RE: Paulitico Analyst
    March 20, 2010 10:37 a.m.

You said:"The republicans hope is that by presenting a recognizable celebrity name and he Bradley will stroll through the election. "
    Surely you are not contending that fielding a candidate with name recognition and a chance to win is not something that Democrats would not do? Name recognition is what got Phil Reisen elected and is what is driving Sam Granato's campaign against Bennett.

You said: "Clearly, this is a political tactic by republicans to unseat a democrat, replacing him with someone that can easily be swayed to vote their way."

Put the Kool-aid down! Democrats are not heaven's angels sent to earth to run for political office! They are politicians with agendas no different than politicians in other parties!

• Playing games
    March 20, 2010 10:41 a.m.

To "Cats"
    You are absolutely right. Matheson says he does not know which way he will vote on the health bill. He is playing the political game. If they need his vote he will say yes. If he waits until the end and they do not need his vote, he can then tell his constituents here in Utah that he did not vote. Very sleazy.

• RE: 10:37
    March 20, 2010 11:20 a.m.

"Is that not exactly why two Democrats were recruited to run against Democrat Jim Matheson---to put a Democrat in his seat that would be easily swayed to toe the Democrat Party line?"

Matheson gets in as a Dem because he doesn't vote along party lines as one, therefore he is tolerated in a vastly republican state.

"But I tell you this: If the double-dealing, underhanded, bribing Democrat leadership in Washington succeeds in passing their so-called healthcare bill, there will be a lot fewer Democrats in office in this country, at all levels, come January, 2011!"

You really should check into the legal "bribing" that goes on concerning Utah's Washington reps, namely healthcare related industry corporations, before making broad statements like that. One gets between 70-80% of his contributions from them. That makes a bit of a difference no matter the claim that it creates no bias.

Bradley is a state-level matter, however, intended to keep republicans in control of the lawmaking, as has long been the case in Utah. It's a majority issue only.

• Tall Jokes
    March 20, 2010 11:36 a.m.

Are made by people with small minds.

• Anonymous
    March 20, 2010 11:52 a.m.

"Imbalanced | 10:33 a.m. March 20, 2010
    Well, at least Shawn could give departing scandal-ridden legislators a standing ovation without having to stand up."

You beat me to the punch.

• sarah
    March 20, 2010 1:15 p.m.

Ben Franklin only had a formal education up to the age of 10. Why do people think that a college education automatically determines that and individual is intelligent? I've met plenty of clueless people while in college.

• Soldier
    March 20, 2010 1:17 p.m.

Shawn came to visit the troops in Afghanistan. This is something he has done on more than one occasion. He really IS a class act. His visit helped boost morale. All the troops there were genuinely appreciative of that selfless service. I knew he was a pro athlete, but what took me most by suprise was how well spoken he was and how he was able to captivate a large group of military guys and gals. Extremely likeable guy. If he says he wants to help people, I beleive him.

• Mike
    March 20, 2010 2:43 p.m.

Shawn is a good guy. I met him in Italian Village a year or so ago. My wife had to laugh because she has never seen me look up to talk to someone. His kids were well behaved. The only problem that I saw was he had to duck around the ceiling fans.

I think that he would do a good job. I don't know why the people of Murray, who are mostly conservative would vote for a democrat.

• Anonymous
    March 20, 2010 2:54 p.m.

Just what we need, another dumb jock-turned-politician. This guy has been the focal point his whole life...guess he still craves the spotlight to feed his massive ego. Can't wait to see his "aw, shucks" act of deception.

• Anonymous
    March 20, 2010 5:27 p.m.

...this board is a perfect example of why I do not get involved in politics.

• VOTE WRIGHT
    March 20, 2010 5:30 p.m.

Time to do the Wright thing! Go Claudia!!

• Chucky
    March 20, 2010 5:53 p.m.

Utahns love anythone who's famous or extrodinary and appears exalted above their hum drum lives. They'll vote a racoon into office if he was from Utah and famous. Utahns obcession with popularity is so boring. There's little critical thought here. If it's on TV is must be great. That's how you know the society is doomed - the people don't think. They follow. They'd follow a mouse over a cliff.

Voting actors and athletes into public office. Is this the best our modern society can produce to govern us into the future? Doomed I say.

• go shawn
    March 20, 2010 6:00 p.m.

who cares whether bradley has a degree or not - the point seems to be he would be a good pol. Too bad the same cannot be said for 'super clown del' who only manages to make a spectacle of himself and the state. does his family ever become embarrased/disgusted by his antics or do they actually support him?

• Houdini Re Bradley
    March 20, 2010 6:17 p.m.

Wasn`t much of a basketball player,I remember him at Snow.The only reason he made the pros was his size,7'6",Repubs only looking for someone with a name to win an election,regardless of his merits,too bad

• CJ
    March 20, 2010 8:30 p.m.

No I am not wrong, he supports every liberal idea there is including illegal alien amnesty and voted to give them drivers licenses as well. You are wrong.

• Westlake
    March 20, 2010 10:51 p.m.

Houdini

"I remember him at Snow[?]"

Uh, Shawn never went to Snow. He came to BYU from high school.

• Bob N
    March 20, 2010 10:57 p.m.

Shawn would be an OUTSTANDING ADDITION to our State Legislature! We would be very fortunate to have someone of his wisdom, intellect, and, most of all integrity, to represent us.

• Anonymous
    March 20, 2010 11:12 p.m.

Tim Cosgrove is indeed a very nice person. However, I have been dismayed at the way he has voted on certain issues important to me and have been hoping that the Republican party would find a good candidate to run against him. I have also found Tim to be unresponsive to emails and phone calls.

Enter Shawn Bradley. He's from my old home town and I've known his family all my life. They're good, honest, hard working, salt-of-the-earth people who are highly thought of in their community. I can't imagine Shawn being any different. I'm excited to hear what he says and hopefully give him my vote!

• Bradley?
    March 20, 2010 11:28 p.m.

Hope you don't turn your back on the state like you have your hometown!!

• Westlake
    March 21, 2010 12:03 a.m.

What's the matter, "Bradley?" Did Shawn not spread his money around like you would have liked? What did you expect him to do, pay the rent on your double wide?

Sounds like sour grapes to me...

• Dear Houdini
    March 21, 2010 6:12 a.m.

Apparently your mind disappeared. Bradley played his Freshman Year (That is the first year you play at a school after high school) at BYU, then went on a mission and went pro upon returning home (not returning to BYU before going pro) from his mission. The question is: How could he play at Snow and play at BYU at the same time? You better go searching for your memory because it is lost out there running around trying to find facts that don't exist.

• re:who dini
    March 21, 2010 2:22 p.m.

After PROMISING to play for BYU.

Now, that doesn't bother me, but the fact the he broke a clear cut promise for his personal betterment might not mean something for a college athlete, but for a congressman is a different story.

The lies se tell come back to haunt us.