Utah

Mormon temple in Ogden to get makeover

Comments

• Chance Williams
    Feb. 17, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Pretty please announce you'll do the same "makeover" to the Provo Temple. :-)

Any hope we can go back to the Logan and SLC designs?

• :(
    Feb. 17, 2010 2:57 p.m.

i am very excited to see what the Ogden Temple will look like when it is completed!!! but i had the opportunity to attend and do baptisms in the ogden temple just last night. my first time being in that particular temple and i was looking at it and i absolutely love the structure of the building and the design...i havent ever really liked the Ogden/Provo temples because of the Birthday/Wedding Cake design...but last night i really saw the beauty of that particular temple...its bitter sweet i guess you could say...im sad that the design is changing...but i am extremely excited to see what the new design has in store!!!

• soakblue
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:03 p.m.

They won't refurbish the Provo temple; they'll build a new one in front of it and then demolish the old one. Just wait.

• s
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:08 p.m.

I'm sad to see the old water fountain design go, but look forward to the new design. My husband and I were married there and my parents were married there.

• A stimulus that works
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:11 p.m.

Here is a stimulus package that works -- I pay my tithing and the church creates jobs by building and remodeling temples. Love it! Wish the federal gov could do as well. Not seeing the same results with the taxes I pay. Where are the jobs?

• s
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:15 p.m.

In looking at the proposed picture are they taking the steeple off of the tabernacle?

• soakblue
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:16 p.m.

I forgot to mention that I think these plans are AWESOME. If you read the history of the Ogden/Provo temples, they were designed along the lines of "form follows function." The aim was high volume, and the exterior design seems to have been a low priority at a time the church was coming out of the building crisis of the early 1960s. This revamp is a first for a modern temple, and looks great!

• Remember When?
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:19 p.m.

This is cool! I was at the dedication of this temple the first time around and when here all thru college. Its great to see this temple being so well kept.

• Reference
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:22 p.m.

"And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:" -Exodus 13:21

Ogden/Provo temples were designed to represent the cloud by day and pillar of fire at night. Sad to see one of them change, but I welcome the new design.

Feb. 17, 2010 3:26 p.m.

The exterior was less than pleasing to look at. Im glad for the beautiful makeover.

• soakblue
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:32 p.m.

Re: Reference

You're right, but they lost a lot of that symbolism when they painted the spires white. Once they did that, this move was inevitable.

• KBA
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:40 p.m.

I hope they do the same to the Provo Temple.

Feb. 17, 2010 3:47 p.m.

I love the change!

• Chachi
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:49 p.m.

Yes, they will remove the steeple from the tabernacle. I presume that it's seen as competing with the temple steeple and redundant.

soakblue, you may have been joking, but if you weren't, allow me to voice the opinion that the Church would never take that approach to replacing a temple. Never in its history has the Church torn down a temple, except the shell of the Apia Samoa Temple after it was already burned.

Someone is bound to whine about the expenditure of tithing money, so let me say this in preemptive response: The Church takes seriously its stewardship of the House of the Lord, where poor and rich alike come to receive eternal blessings. In Mark 14:3-9, Jesus rebuked those who criticized a woman for spending money on Him rather than, as they proposed, on the poor. The less-than-affluent members of this Church count themselves blessed to be able to contribute their widow's mite to such efforts.

• An opinion
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:51 p.m.

I am an active member of the church but I am less than excited to hear about the remodeling.

Can I say that Deseret News and still get my comment posted? The censoring on my other comments in this regard is atrocious. Because I have a conflicting opinion it is almost impossible for it to be shared here on the DN. Thank you.

• Leave Provo alone
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Paint the spire back to the original color and keep it like it is.

• Re: Chachi
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:06 p.m.

Your preemptive response is appreciated. I have tried to make comments regarding the expenditure of tithing money being used to remodel an existing temple but until this time it has not been allowed to be shared here on the DN. Hopefully with your comment being allowed other perspectives might be shared.

I am one of those less-than-affluent members of the church who feel it a trial of faith to see the church spend tithing on the remodeling of this structure.

• brandino
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:08 p.m.

Why? Can't they just leave the exterior design for what it was for that time? They are making a value judgement of that period of design. Back in the 50's and 60's, older buildings had their facades covered up with more a more modern facade. Today, those facades are being torn down and the old ones are being restored. Today, the Ogden and Provo temple's exterior is being valued as less than desirable and should be removed. Instead of discarding symbols of modern architectural design, let them stand as markers of that time. And, maybe update some of the windows and exterior materials. But, please don't annihilate the design that was originally given to it!

• How Much??
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:16 p.m.

So how much is this remodel expected to cost?? I read the article but didn't find that important fact. Did I miss it?

And I'm sorry, why do we need to do this project at all? Isn't the temple working just fine as itis? Do they expect to get more patrons with a newer design? Is the old building structurally unsound?

I know that I am not supposed to ask these questions of my church leaders, perhaps the Deseret News could ask them for me, because I still want to know.

• Klark
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:16 p.m.

It is a horrible location and the people in the area fro the most part are unworthy. I think they should move it instead of refurbishing it.

• Dadsters
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:21 p.m.

The exterior of this Temple is not a pretty marker to be kept. This remodel/redesign is very welcomed by most of the comments here. Many Temples have undergone drastic remodels in the past. This is just the first to have so much exterior remodeling done. I knew the reference for the original design which helped me to overlook the lack of beauty but this new work will be a boon to the area. Lets celebrate it with knowledge that it's not a whim!

Feb. 17, 2010 4:22 p.m.

The Ogden temple was always bad architecture. It looks like a casino. You almost expect the top level to rotate, like the top floors of the old holiday inns of the 60's.

Here is to hoping the new designs look better in reality.

• Ric
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:26 p.m.

I don't mean to be rude, but I always disliked the look of the "twin" Ogden and Provo temples... As long as we're doing Ogden, could the Church also make the Provo Temple look better and redesign it along similar lines?

BTW, I am a trying to be faithful LDS and temple-attender....I just hope the Provo Temple could be made to look better and I APPLAUD the redesign of the Ogden Temple!

Ric in South Dakota

• soakblue
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:27 p.m.

Chachi, I wasn't joking. Is tearing down a temple against the doctrines of the church? No. Programs change. Temples can change too. It's not the structure that matters.

• John Harvey
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Why destroy the Tabernacle spire?

• Jake
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:30 p.m.

I hope they do this to the Provo Temple also, but it probably will not happen until the Payson Temple is completed and can take over for awhile!

Wish they would redo the inside of the St. George Temple and make it fit the historic feeling of the exterior. Ever since they ripped out the historic interior of the temple in the 70's and replaced it with a vanilla inside (Like the Provo and Ogden Temples) I hoped that one day they would go in and make it have a historic look!

Glad we live in a time when the Church is able to build so many temples!

• Just an observer
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:33 p.m.

Get over it people. Like life, the Church moves on. That is what tithing monies are for. If I had been asked, I would have given a resounding yes to replacing the "ultra modern" look with something more appealing to the eye. I hope the church will make a similar change to Provo. Keep smiling.

• Monsieur le prof
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:33 p.m.

The Church does not do things on a whim. They are very careful with sacred funds. There are probably a dozen reasons for the change that are not fully explained here, including possible structural flaws or maintenance costs, etc.

When the new design is displayed, I'm sure everyone will forget their objections and admire the beauty of the new House of the Lord.

• Needed
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:37 p.m.

I would imagine part of the reason for this is to bring the Temple up to code. Instead of spending millions to renovate a dated building why not tear most of it down and start over. The cost would probably be about the same. Awesome decision, Provo is probably next. There has been a recent move in the church toward making sure all the buildings are earthquake resistant. Salt Lake Tabernacle, Assembly hall, Joseph Smith Building, etc.

• Logan Saint
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:39 p.m.

Why do I think that those who complain about the renovation cost do not pay their tithing, if they are members at all.

• Sigh...
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:41 p.m.

The Ogden temple was the first I attended and is a place of fond memory for me.

I was disappointed when the spire was painted and the Angel Moroni added, and I'm disappointed now.

Hearing the tabernacle with also be modified is very disappointing, too.

• Dean
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:42 p.m.

Why can’t the church use existing stake centers to do the work of the temples? With a dual purpose building much money can be saved. Half the days and nights of the week the stake centers are empty. On the same note, if the temple ceremony was changed to be shorter more work would be able to be done in a shorter amount of time.
    my 2 cents. =)

• in the know
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:46 p.m.

This temple has been around for 38+ years and is getting old. Part of the decision is that the building is not earth quake sound and refitting needs to be done. With that in mind why not give the building a new facelift after all the refitting is done.

this will be a beautiful building and will only add to the downtown reconsgtruction going on.

Wait and see - you will love it.

• Losers
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:49 p.m.

It always blows me away to hear such loser comments from 'faithful' member of the LDS church. I was taught that with it's original design, the temple had fairly significant symbolism. The central white portion representing the cloud that followed the children of Israel and the upper golden spire representing the light from within the cloud or the presence of Jehovah.

• me
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:51 p.m.

I'm sure that the remodel isn't just to update the look only. Remodeling of the outside, changing the entrance, etc, was probably required in order to add the needed parking lot.
    I have full trust in the Church's use of tithing money. I know that the leaders take that stewardship very seriously.

• Re: Logan Saint
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:55 p.m.

To clarify I am an active member of the church and full tithing payer for the past 27 years. It is ok to question. It is ok to question the church on the money it spends on things. Now if they divulge that information that is a totally different story.

Believe it or not the church does have people/"Saints" with in it who think independently at times.

• Ignorant
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:06 p.m.

Klark,

I hope you're joking. This temple is in a great location and this renovation project is just what downtown Ogden needs. As far as your "temple worthy" comment, please do some research before you type. Just because parts of Ogden are ghetto, it doesn't mean that everyone that lives in the area is unworthy. I've been in wards in South Ogden, North Ogden, and Ogden and can tell you that there are many faithful members in the area that are worthy to have a temple in their city.

• To Dean
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:09 p.m.

Hey Dean thanks for your thoughts. A full explanation would take too long, but suffice it to say that each building has complete and separate purpose. Because of the sacred purpose and complexity of the Temple, Stake Centers could not serve a dual purpose. But thanks for trying! :)

• I'm speculating...
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:17 p.m.

...that as soon as the new Payson temple is completed, that the Provo Temple will have the same basic redesign. Provo is the busiest in the church, and to do a renovation like this before an alternative is in place (i.e. the Payson Temple) would be irresponsible. And the brethren are never irresponsible. So, give it about 2-3 years, and Provo should get the same face lift.

• Re: To Dean
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Any thing is posible with the Lord. It would be easy to use the Stake Center as a temple.

• Chachi
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:21 p.m.

To soakblue: I'm not quite sure why, but I think there's a feeling like temples are supposed to be as eternal as the covenants made inside them. Brigham Young wanted the Salt Lake Temple built to "stand through the Millennium," but that doesn't mean that all temples have to. Buildings have useful lives, and ones built of solid rock will last longer than ones built with 1970s construction. I think that is what is essentially happening here: the Ogden Temple, if it were any other building, would be demolished and rebuilt. Because it is a temple, the Church is instead doing a remodel job so extensive that it will essentially render it a new building. But the temple is a symbol, and this way we don't treat a temple as if it were as expendable as a warehouse.

• Kudos to the Brethren
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:26 p.m.

I think this is a great idea. This renovation will ignite excitement in the Ogden Temple district to re-focus their lives on the importance of Temples. I fully support this announcement.

• re: I'm speculating
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:29 p.m.

I am speculating that you didnt intend to leave out the sisters as well when you say "the brothren" are never irresponsible. =)

• OC Mormon
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:39 p.m.

For those of you who are unaware, the Newport Beach California Temple was built at a cost of over $20 million dollars, with ALL of the funds coming from the the Saints in just 16 Orange County Stakes. (We were asked to pay for our temple so that Church funds could be used to build other temples) And, though there are a small minority of Saints in the OC who are wealthy, the majority of us are not.

Unless I am mistaken, I have never read an article in the DN which indicates that the Saints in various parts of Utah have been asked to pay for their local temples. Count your blessings and be grateful that your temples in Utah are being funded by the Church.

Feb. 17, 2010 5:42 p.m.

I love the Provo temple, and hope it never changes. That is where I was married, and I absolutely love its unique design.

• to Dean
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:56 p.m.

Would you want a Temple in the same building that Church Ball is played, where cubs and Primary kids trash the building? I never get the feeling I get when I enter a Temple when I go into my local Stake House- different buildings, different functions entirely.

• I have come to appreciate the
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:59 p.m.

design of the Provo temple (never been to the Ogden Temple). However, for a long time I found it kind of ugly. The temple is a place to worship God. And in as much as the design distracts from that purpose, I think the Lord would have the design altered. This might be part of the motivation for renovating the Ogden temple to a more traditional style that will be more likely to be timeless. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Provo Temple follow suit.

• Dean
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:17 p.m.

re:to Dean 5:56
    I would welcome it. I do not base my spirituality or my relationship with God on the condition of the building I am worshiping in. I adore Primary children and would feel it an honor to worship in the same building they participate in.

• soakblue
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:19 p.m.

Re: Chachi

I concede that although temples may not last as long as the SL Temple, they are still symbolic and should be preserved when possible. You make a good point. My reasoning behind the Provo tear-down idea is that the MTC would need continuous access to a temple, so a new build and then tear-down seems to make sense. But the symbolic cost of doing that may exceed the cost of denying MTC missionaries temple access for 2 or 3 years.

• Re: I have come to appreciate..
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:23 p.m.

What does the look of a building have to do with worshiping God? Are we that week in faith that we need a man made building to worship God?

I agree that to build temples is a way of worshiping and showing our sacrifices to God and a nice place to make covenants but are we focusing to much on the temporal looks of a building and not enough of the spiritual aspect of things?

Why the remodel?

• It is a building made by man
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:30 p.m.

The Ogden Temple is a building made by the hands of men.

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"
    1 Corinthians 3:16

Feb. 17, 2010 6:30 p.m.

I always felt the Ogden Temple looked a bit like a UFO had landed on a big box. Hope the renovations don't make it look like a carbon copy of any other temple, but it can still have a distinctive look. That is the bad thing about all those 11,000 square foot temples built at the turn of the century. They all look the same.

• wow
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:35 p.m.

Does the church really have this much extra money? gees.

• I'm Impressed
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:36 p.m.

Looking at the new renderings, I am rather intrigued and excited to see this renovation. As downtown Ogden is slowly gaining a new face, it will be wonderful to breathe new life into the Temple block. I too have to agree with some of the comments above that the temple is most likely in need of renovation work. The Ogden Temple has been a busy temple the last few years. Its most likely time for updates to make the temple structure last even longer.

• Bern
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:38 p.m.

OC Mormon: During construction of the Jordan River Temple, there was special fund for that temple construction, at least in Salt Lake County.

• Buck Rogers
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:50 p.m.

Sorry, but this renovation looks even less inspiring than the original "spaceship" design.

• Oh My
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:57 p.m.

Is it just a coincidence that Emil Fetzer recently died?

• Disco Sunshine
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:01 p.m.

Let's face it, nothing good came out of the 1970s, whether it be architecture, fashion, music or hair styles. That said, this appears to be a very bad attempt to revisit the monumental style of the 1930s (and I am being charitable here).

• To OC Mormon
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:06 p.m.

How blessed you are to have a temple in your county. I would gladly give extra money if they would build one here in Arkansas. With the money I spend on gas, 8+ hours of babysitting and toll roads to get to Oklahoma City, it would, very quickly, be much cheaper.

• CT
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:10 p.m.

There is likely a need to update and bring the building up to current earthquake and other building codes. Most of the old pioneer temples have been retrofitted to comply with current codes. I remember when the Ogden temple was announced. It was a big deal! Those of us in Logan wondered how come those unrighteous Ogdenites were getting a temple. :))

• Jordan T.
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:29 p.m.

What a terrible design and a waste of precious money and resources. It's just sad. It seems like every new temple the LD$ Church builds these days looks the same.

They're making the Ogden Temple look like every other temple out there--homogenous, bland, boring, and lacking any architectural signifigance. Why don't they just leave it alone?

Feb. 17, 2010 7:35 p.m.

What an impressive project. I think this is a wonderful announcement.

• Alaskan
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:48 p.m.

I've always thought the Odgen and Provo Temples were the coolest looking of the Utah Pairs. It surprised me that there were only two temples like this. I have always been curious to be able to look inside one of them (most likely Provo later this year). The Church always builds beautiful temples. When the Anchorage Temple was first dedicated, I thought it looked cool, and since they expanded it, I thought it looked even cooler. I love how our temple looks. Too bad it isn't as noticeable in my community as most temple in Utah. Our temple is too tiny for that, but I think in time, it will be expanded again, and be more noticeable, maybe even from the nearby mountains if you look hard enough. That probably won't happen until Alaska gets maybe 21 stakes, with 16-ish of them in the Anchorage Area, but currently, there is only 7 stakes, with 4 in the Anchorage Area. It will be excited for the Saints in Fairbanks if they get a temple, since they drive 6 and a half hours to get here.

• Speechless
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:54 p.m.

For those readers who's comments indicate that they don't understand the spiritual difference between a Temple and a Stake Center, I am left speechless. Being a convert to the Church 16 years ago, I have a tremendous love for Temples and can only assume that some people that are LDS only because they were born into the Church are taking the great blessings of the Temple for granted. That's one of the reasons that I am so thankful to be a convert and to have had to build my testimony as an adult through reason and prayer.

• parking is the reason
    Feb. 17, 2010 8:28 p.m.

To the person who asked why and at what cost? Have you been to the temple recently and tried to park???? This is common sense. Thank high heaven for pragmatic leaders.

• Married in Provo
    Feb. 17, 2010 9:10 p.m.

Would be very sad to see the design of Provo changed...

• M
    Feb. 17, 2010 9:47 p.m.

I never liked the design of either the Ogden or Provo temples. I prefer the castle look of the Salt Lake, Logan, Manti, and St George Temples. Much more traditional.

• Sam
    Feb. 17, 2010 10:03 p.m.

As somebody who loves Ogden dearly, it will be a little sad to see this unique (pardon me, Provo) structure get a more vanilla appearance. But I have many photographs and some video I've taken over the years to remember it by.

But the new look should go nicely with the new neighboring development, part of which the Church has been involved in. It's great to see the LDS Church put as much effort into Ogden's revitalization as they have.

• jann
    Feb. 17, 2010 11:08 p.m.

Ogden is very special to me.I always liked the gold spire but that is because that is what I was used 2. Now that I'm in nebraska and have 2 go 2.5 hours to the temple its a whole different story.miss the days I could go to the temple on the drop of a hat if I wanted 2. I can understand it needing 2 be updated.

Feb. 17, 2010 11:56 p.m.

I think the new plan is much more attractive and probably safer as far as the parking and entrance. It seems like the west entrance was on a busy street. Am I right?

Feb. 17, 2010 11:58 p.m.

Now if they can just remodel the big roof temples like the Boise temple and count me in for a Provo remodel.

• Bill
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:09 a.m.

The temple is completely different than a stake center. Sure it could use the stake center to do temple work but that would only diminish the work as it is performed in the temple. If you check it out you will find that the first baptisms for the dead were done in the Mississippi river but ever after were done in the temple. Marriages have been performed in the Endowment House for many years but now all marriages are done within the wall of the temple. Temple ordinances are sacred and are currently reserved for the temple. I feel that as the church continues to build temples you will see more built next to existing stake centers thus the smaller temples will become the norm where the larger temples like Salt Lake, Washington DC and others will be built less. This is the pattern today and I feel will continue to be so. There was an article just last week that more or less stated we needed to let the temple flow through us and not us through the temple. The temple is the HOUSE of THE LORD. The stake center is for general meetings.

Feb. 18, 2010 12:15 a.m.

I am excited about the new temple in Ogden. It will be a great addition to the renovations that have already been done to the downtown area of Ogden. Seeing a bright shiny new temple next to all of the new shops and the solomon center is going to make the area be more enjoyable and appealing.

• byu alum
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:26 a.m.

That's an awful idea. Now it will look like every other temple of the last 10 years. It's current design gives it some character and a sense of history. It's product of it's time. I someone comes to their senses.

• Davis
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:46 a.m.

What a waste of money that could be used to help people. "Updated". "Remove a steeple". It seems LDS folk have way too much free time on their hands to come up with foolishness like this.

• Mom in MO
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:23 a.m.

I'm sure none of the renovations really had much to do with man's opinion. Stake centers are renovated, and Temples are no different in that respect. After 30 years or so, every building needs updating, this one is getting an update and a face lift. I have been to Ogden more than once (when I lived in Utah) and the ordinaces performed are just as valid as any other Temple. And every one who entered there was worthy. Didn't quite understand that comment. Either you have a recommend or you don't...
    I also agree that if you live near a Temple, you should count your blessings. Miss the convenience of multiple Temples from which to choose. Not that I don't love going to St. Louis, it's just more of a trip than it was in Utah.

• Pro and Con
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:36 a.m.

I'm all for providing jobs and making buildings stronger but I don't like the idea of considering existing buildings "out of date" in style and wanting to change them.

I think, and have always thought, that the design of the Ogden and Provo temples is beautiful. I agree with those who have commented that the recent temples, or many of them, tend to look "all the same". What is wrong with the streamlined, simple design of the Ogden and Provo temples?

Why can't we keep these distinctive designs and, at the same time, renovate the buildings?

• Nyer
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:37 a.m.

the New York Manhattan temple has a normal church facility (with a gym and chapel, but its not the stake center) in the same building. basketball and dances in the gym are off limits when the temple is open because its too noisy.

Feb. 18, 2010 7:51 a.m.

This will probably get edited out, but why can't they spend the money to feed the poor? I don't think Jesus would be this concerned at this time in our economy to see money spent to re-decorate a temple. Seriously!

• Uninspired Design
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:52 a.m.

The temples in Provo and Ogden are two of many temples that lack architectural beauty. A utilitarian look is understandable when you consider the purpose of the building and the need to carefully steward limited funds. It is nice to see that the Church can now afford some "shine" on the exterior of at least this temple.

• Chachi
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:58 a.m.

To Davis: Once again, Mark 14:3-9.

To Jordan T.: Why do you call us "LD$"? If we paid our ministers like other churches, we wouldn't have much money left over. Then would you be satisfied that we aren't commercial? But of course, that would only make us more commercialized. Your position seems counterintuitive.

To byu alum: "It's" means "it is." To Speechless: "Who's" means "who is."

On the design: The new look is reminiscent of many recent temples, but closest in style to the nearly-completed Cebu City Philippines Temple.

Feb. 18, 2010 8:14 a.m.

All temples are funded by the church.

• That 70s Show
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:16 a.m.

Typcally bad design from that time. Better to go with the Conference Center ,Mesa Az Wright inspired architechture.Natural materials . I think the Conferecne Center is a great buildng with its color

• Re: 7:51am
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:23 a.m.

The construction industry is one that has taken a large blow during "this time in our economy." Giving them work to do is akin to feeding the poor when many of them have no work.

• JAMMER
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:42 a.m.

I am excited about this change. I recently moved to Ogden and love the fact that a temple is with-in reach. I work in construction and have worked on a few temples (recently Twin Falls) and can see why they are updating this temple. They'll re-seismic the building to that it's more eathquake proof. I know for a fact how out of date the mechanical system is. Updating that with electrical will not only make this temple just as beautiful, but more energy efficient. I look foward to possibly working on this temple too.

• re:anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:42 a.m.

The LDS church and it's people DO feed the poor...pay attention...Temples feed the spirit, both types of nourishment are essential...

• Mike
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:44 a.m.

Good for the Church. I went to the open house at Ogden when I was a kid. I have been to Provo a couple of times. About time for the re-do,

• Wow
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:58 a.m.

Re: Klark->I'm glad that you are the judge of my personal worthiness and the worthiness of all those LDS people that live in the Ogden Temple district. Can I contact you for my next recommend interview?
    Re: How Much->I don't recall the Church divulging how much temples have cost in the past, why would they start now? It is the Lord's money and the use of that money is carried out through divine guidance.
    Re: Dean-> Find me a Stake Center in the Ogden area that can house the capacity of the Ogden Temple 5 days a week. I currently attend Church in a Stake Center and there is no room for any additional projects or activities. The Stake Center/Temple dual use will not work in Utah at this time. There is too high of a demand for the Temples, which to me is a wonderful sign.
    I LOVE the Ogden Temple as is, so I have mixed feelings about the changes. But...I have faith and a testimony in a living prophet that receives revelation. This is a wonderful announcement for Ogden.

• tower of bable
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:17 a.m.

Just the fact that so many of you think you need a temple to get to heaven reminds me of the story for the scriptures about the tower of bable.

Feb. 18, 2010 9:26 a.m.

So many judges in the church. You guys don't have to wait until the next life to be Gods and Goddesses you have already dubbed yourselves as snobby earthly gods. I can tell you one thing i wont be in any way shape or form in the same place after this life where the self-righteous dwell. No way in heaven would i be in the same kingdom with a bunch of fruit loops and goody two shoes, and that's for certain.

If you attend the temple in the same spirit as you blog I suppose that says a lot about your personal faith and mean spirit.

• Re: Anonymous @ 8:14am
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:40 a.m.

I stand corrected. Yes, all temples are technically "funded" by the Church.

So, what I should have said was that the $20 million dollars used to "fund" the Newport Beach Temple came entirely from monetary donations made by the members of the 16 Stakes in Orange County.

Thank you for your astute observation.

• About time...
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:41 a.m.

Ogden and Provo are just evidence that the LDS church was easily influenced by modern-culture in their temple design during the time.

• RE: OC Mormon
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:18 a.m.

Where was it ever announced or said that the 16 stakes raises 20 million for the temple? The Church's finances are kept under strict confidence and very rarely are construction cost and donations discussed. I have never heard this figure where did you get it?

Reference please....

• LOOK AT US
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:18 a.m.

Why it the most worldly thing the church as done yet!

• David
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:21 a.m.

In these dire economic times it's sad to see the church leaders wasting tithing money on something so totally unnecessary, and all for the sake of appearances.

• Re: Jordan T. | 7:29 p.m.
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:44 a.m.

Jordan,
    I actually could respect, for its validity, your criticism of the homogeny of many LDS buildings if not for your use of that petty little anti-mormon invective, " LD$ ," with the little dollar sign replacing the "S."

What's the point? You people resent the Church for its fiscal health and soundness? How petty can you anti-mormons get?

• the temple an Economic stimulus?
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:56 a.m.

When I read stories like this one I realize we as LDS bring scrutiny on our selves.

• Tyler C
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:00 a.m.

AWESOME!!! What an exciting thought that Ogden could have a brand new, beautiful "Ogden Temple Square" where people can go and walk around the grounds like they do in downtown Salt Lake!

I applaud our church leaders for their insight and I don't think that this is a waste of money at all. The renovation It is a perfect mix of necessity added with some inspired touch ups and additions. I can't wait.

We need more refuges like this in our big cities where not just the temple interior, but the exterior can be an escape from the busy and ugly world. I have fond memories of hanging out and reading scriptures on the temple grounds of Lake Oswego, Oregon and Bountiful and Downtown Salt Lake. Thank you!!!

• TKC
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:02 a.m.

The first thing I thought when I heard about the remodel was: "I better hurry and go do some work in the old Ogden temple before it changes forever!"

You are very lucky, Ogdenites, I'm so happy for you :)

• Melba Megensik
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:02 a.m.

I had the privilege of shaking hands with President David O. McKay at the Ogden Temple Dedication. I trust my leaders explicitly and don't question their decisions.

• Re: RE: OC Mormon | 10:18 a.m.
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:03 a.m.

"Where was it ever announced or said that the 16 stakes raises 20 million for the [Newport Beach] temple?"

I have heard this too (but not the dollar amount), from someone who definitely would know.

I doubt that it was ever announced publicly.

Feb. 18, 2010 11:07 a.m.

Yes, all temples are technically

The temples are funded (not technically) by the church

• Re: OC Mormon
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:08 a.m.

From Elder Holland's conference talk October 2001:

"I speak of the decision made by the Brethren just over a decade ago to cease placing any special assessments or other fund-raising obligations upon the members of the Church at home or abroad."

The Newport Beach Temple was announced April 2001. How about backing up that claim, since a Prophet, Seer, & Revelator told us otherwise?

• Broken Hearted
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:17 a.m.

I must say that this is very,very upsetting!!!!!!!! If one day the church wanted to do this to the Salt Lake Temple many would leave the church and many more would protest!!!
    It is plan to see that "men" are in charge here with out any feelings for the "women". I feel very sad for all the women who have gotten married in the Ogden Temple and to have this done is not taking people's feelings in to account.

It's bad enough the changes that have taken place with the Provo Temple------PLEASE Leave The Provo Temple ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need more space go built another one and leave the others alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Re: Re: OC Mormon | 11:08 a.m.
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:38 a.m.

Regarding the Newport Beach Temple, that was a special situation. I don't know all the details, but my guess is that it was not an "assessment" or "obligation" per se but that it was rather a "pretty please" request of members of arguably the wealthiest region of church membership in the country, that these particular donations were entirely voluntary, and that they had no "temple worthiness" connotations attached to them whatsoever, unlike regular tithing.

• Dutchman
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:45 a.m.

Makes you wonder what is in store for the 13 acres the Church got from Earl Holding in downtown Salt Lake City. Rather than remake the Salt Lake Temple which the Church will never do will they just build a new modern one on this 10 acre site plus the 3 acres across the street. With all the new life the Church is bringing downtown I can see the need for a new temple. Also, the Salt Lake Temple could then be turned back to its historic interior look of the 1890's. The new site is located next to a Trax station and has easy on and off to and from the freeway.

• hooray
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:51 a.m.

I say again, hooray!!!!

• Re: OC Mormon 11:38 AM.
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:56 a.m.

Well, I don't believe that since you're clearly speculating, but for the sake of argument let's say it's true.

You're complaining that members in the area begged for a temple where the Church apparently had no plans to build one, and they obliged as long as you paid for it? Where's the unfairness in that?

President Hinckley said himself that the reason they build so many temples in Utah is because the use of them warrants it. When members in other parts of the world complain about it it reeks of pride & jealousy.

• Re: References please
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:46 p.m.

OC Mormon references: Various members of the NPB temple committee, Stake Presidents and Bishops.

Our Stake alone was assessed over $1 million dollars. We were given an ASSESSMENT and therefore, an ACCOUNTING. No great mystery. No complaints.

We were told that the money the Church might have spent building the Newport Beach Temple, would instead be used to build temples in other areas. I suppose that some of that savings went to build more temples in Utah...

This has been a great conversation; thanks!

• RG
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:07 p.m.

In the 1970s the Logan temple was gutted, and only the outside walls remained, as a totally new and more "efficient" temple was built inside the original walls. I don't think this would happen today, with all the emphasis on our pioneer history. I understand that the film made temple work more efficient, but I believe they could have installed the film in the original rooms, as was done in the Laie Hawaii and Mesa Arizona temples, and I believe the Idaho Falls temple. Maybe the Church will consider restoring the interior of the Logan temple to more or less the way it was. And, while they are at it, they could find a place to add "The House of the Lord"; although this wasn't on the temple originally, the Logan temple is the only one I know of that does not say "The House of the Lord." (Although it says Holiness to the Lord high up on the East side.)

• Annoyed
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:16 p.m.

I get very upset when I read that temples are a total waste of money and that the money should go to the poor. In a recent Church News article it stated that the Church over the last 25 years has helped out those areas that have been the worst hit with natural disasters over 1.1 billion dollars (that's billion with a b). Get over it! If you honestly knew where all the money goes in tithes and offerings you wouldn't be complaining so much. The temples are NEVER a wast of money.

• Re: 11:56 a.m.
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:17 p.m.

I think you're confused. I was speculating, admittedly (not being from there), but certainly wasn't complaining. My point was that it was good all around. It makes good sense to me: there is a large LDS presence in Southern California especially in Orange County and it is clear to me they can use another temple there. With traffic, it is quite a journey to the L.A. Temple from parts of Orange County. Good for them!

• UtahSteve55
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:20 p.m.

Dutchman - Wow Great insight.

• To OC Mormon
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:45 p.m.

As a child I raised money for when the Jordan River temple was built. I felt it a privelige at that time and feel it the best money I ever spent!

• Rue
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:48 p.m.

So I guess I among the few who think the new design is well boring and cookie cutter, let's make all the temples look the same. I love the Ogden and Provo Modern design, it reflects the time of which they were built. I would hate to see what the Kirtland Temple would look like if the church still owned it.

I have always loved the Provo Temple for it's simple design, which always lead your eyes upwards to wards heaven.

• Re: Rue
    Feb. 18, 2010 2:53 p.m.

you say that you would hate to see what the Kirtland Temple would look like if the Church still owned it, why? Have they done anything drastic to Salt Lake, Manti, or St. George? Did they not build Nauvoo to the exact dimensions as it was once before. Then again, if the Church owned Kirtland maybe they would change it so that we could perform the ordinances there. The Kirtland Temple had a completely different purpose and function.

• Levi
    Feb. 18, 2010 3:37 p.m.

Yo Annoyed!

Billion with a "B"! You're very clever. Now use your trusty math skills and see how much that comes to spread over the 20+ years and per member per year.

You'll enjoy it!

• Mormons................
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:05 p.m.

Grumble grumble grumble.

• V :O]
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:13 p.m.

I'm sure the temple will be much nicer than the old when they have finish this project.

Feb. 18, 2010 10:02 p.m.

oops..misspelled privilege....please don't post my comment unless corrected. thanks.

• Meh.
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:33 p.m.

Looks like every other temple built in the last 10 years.

• Why Temples Are Built
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:25 p.m.

Doctrine & Covenants 109:24

"We ask thee, Holy Father, to establish the people that shall worship, and honorably hold a name and standing in this thy house, to all generations and for eternity."

It matters not if we have a remodeled or original temple. Yes, it is great to have the Ogden Temple redesigned. The accommodation for a larger temple may be a good reason for the expansion, and face-lift for it.

The new temple will have an open house and bring many to see it before its dedication. It should bring new life to the spiritual lives of the community and its members/non-members alike. It is always a blessing for a community to have its own temple, as well as missionary work and future converts. Much good will come of this timely project. It is sure to have had a lot of years in preparation and consideration in bringing to the forefront at this time. God bless our living prophets who have given us these temples in our day from the ancient times. Thank you. The Ogden/Provo temples were dedicated in 1972. I was there for the Provo dedication in the Marriott Center.

Feb. 19, 2010 12:15 a.m.

Isn't this the one that looks like a giant marshmallow, painted gold, with a giant carrot stuck in the middle for a steeple? I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

• True Christian
    Feb. 19, 2010 1:33 a.m.

What a travesty!!!! Hungry people, sick people, homeless people RIGHT HERE IN SALT LAKE CITY AND ALL OVER UTAH! A true CHRISTIAN organization would NOT have temples as a priority in these times.

Homeless Shelters VS temples
    Food Banks VS temples
    Free Clinics VS temples

Left VS right

True Christians VS false worshipers

DO NOT reply to this comment. Save your feeble excuses for Saint Peter.

• To How Much??
    Feb. 19, 2010 9:43 a.m.

Renovating the temple is for many purposes. As stated in the article, they are bringing it up to seismic code. Doing this alone can require the removal and replacement of the whole foundation, in some instances. Also they are renovating so as to provide room for more energy-efficient appliances. These are smart renovations that will pay off in the long run, especially if "the big one" finally hits the Wasatch Front soon.

• RE: True Chrsitian
    Feb. 19, 2010 2:12 p.m.

I'll respond! Pouring money into the city of Ogden by way of construction/refurbishment is exactly what needs to be done. This will give people jobs. Jobs provide money. Money provides food and shelter and opportunities for those involved to use their well earned money from this project to give charitably themselves. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

• Re: True Christian
    Feb. 19, 2010 3:28 p.m.

So, what's your response to the millions that the LDS Church just donated to the Ogden Homeless shelter? Just wondering . . .
    J

• John Pack Lambert
    Feb. 19, 2010 4:05 p.m.

Downtowns need monetary commitments, and inner cities need jobs. I am reminded that Birgham Young said he would rather pay people to build ditches and then fill them in than to give them money for nothing.
    That said, could the DN please remove all comments that are just posted to cause debate and contention. Many of these comments are clearly written to be offense and so in violation of the stated comment board policies. Another rule should be that any comment expressing anger towards the moderation process should be removed as misrepresentative, because these people do not try to grasp that this is a priate domain of the Deseret News and those of us who comment do so on their terms.

• Re: True Christian 1:33am
    Feb. 19, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: and be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you. (Eph 4:31-32)

If you're sincerely a "true Christian", I hope you'll reflect on Paul's admonition to the Ephesians and then move on. Leave the LDS Church alone to decide how it best utilize its own resources.

• John Pack Lambert
    Feb. 19, 2010 4:13 p.m.

To Nyer,
    While you may be right that the location of the Manhattan Temple is not currently a stake center, it used to be the stake center.
    However, the temple and the Church building are just "under the same roof" they are totally district and different spaces, temple space is not "transfered" to be Church space at any point, they are clearly distinct spaces.
    Here in Michigan the Detroit Temple shares the parking lot with our stake center, and they added 0 new parking spaces when they built the temple.
    Temples and church buildings can share parking lots, they can even be buit on the same plot of land, one on top of the other, but the temple must be a seperate and distinct palce from the Church building, and must be permanently set aside as such.

• Spence
    Feb. 19, 2010 4:20 p.m.

I've been away from Utah for a long time, and I guess I'm a little surprised that Ogden would rate this kind of an upgrade.

However, I am very pleased to see the beautiful grounds in the artists concept and the beautiful new face of the Temple. It's really a beautiful update!

• John Pack Lambert
    Feb. 19, 2010 4:31 p.m.

I doubt most of the people gripping about how the temple remodel is a waste of money even read the article. The article said the Church recently gave a $1.5 million donation to the Ogden Homeless Shelter. While this might not be a huge amount of money, it is a good sized amount.
    The fact is that the operations of DI and the welfare program though the bishop's storehouses are not part of the disaster aid reported in the humanitarian aid reports. The church does a lot more helping of the poor and downtrodden than just what is counted in the humanitarian aid reports.
    Of course we could do more. However the primary purpose of the Church is to share the gospel and perform ordinances. Temples are NEEDED to do the later. They are essential, not optional. You can denounce it, but you have to judge our actions based on our beliefs, and our beliefs are that temples are of the greatest worth.

• Me
    Feb. 20, 2010 12:14 p.m.

I'm sure God will be very impressed that Mormons spend millions upon millions with brick and mortar while people go hungry in the community. I hope there are no tables in the new temple as Christ would certainly overthrow it for the misguided expenditures by Mormon Pharisees.

• Me can't read
    Feb. 21, 2010 12:27 p.m.

I suppose you missed the line about the $1.5M the church just donated to the homeless shelter. Did your idol stores such as Best Buy, Lowe's, Costco, or any other places you frequent on Sundays do the same for Ogden?

• the mind and will
    Feb. 21, 2010 4:11 p.m.

I'm always interested to see how mere mortals expound on what God or Jesus will/won't do and/or how they feel/what they think about the doings of mankind. So interesting to read how some seem to know the mind and will of God.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Feb. 22, 2010 11:31 a.m.

So many rich blessings for those ogdeners.

• Louise
    Feb. 22, 2010 11:59 a.m.

How many of you remember when the SLC temple was 'modernized'? The first time I attended there, we went in up the stairs and through those beautiful front doors. Times change and buildings sometime have to be give a 'makeover' to meet those changes. A temple is a temple. A stake house is not a temple,

• Just Wondering
    Feb. 22, 2010 12:08 p.m.

Why do the anti mormons have such hate for an organization that does so much good around the world? Is it perhaps jealousy that fuels the ire?

True christians look for the good in others and work to unitedly offer goodwill and relief to the downtrodden. The LDS church certainly does not fall short in this area.

The fact that they spend so much time, effort, and money helping the poor and needy around the world, while still having the ability to build beautiful places of worship, is a testament to their resourcefulness and true christian spirit.

I applaud the LDS church and the LDS people for the example they set for the rest of us.

I offer a sincere thank you.

• Why?
    Feb. 22, 2010 6:59 p.m.

We, the average Ward members, are taught to conserve and be frugle, and not to bend to the ways of the world. Why can't our tithing money be put to better use in making the world better. No wonder the plastic surgeous are doing so great in Utah. Is only "new" and flawless acceptable?

• Ellen
    Feb. 23, 2010 10:18 a.m.

Sorry my original comment was deemed unfit. It was sincere. I'll try another way to express my feelings.
    I am very against the teardown of the Ogden Temple. Fixing it up, yes, but tearing down is an insult to all of us who believed inspiration was there the first time. I don't care for the looks either, but I respect those who built it and the decisions our general authorities made at the time. I am over sixty years old, and I need a new look too! We are worldly in more ways than one!

• Kent
    Feb. 23, 2010 10:26 a.m.

I feel bad that the Temple in Ogden will be remodeled.
    Please don't let this be the beginning of destroying our other Temples.

• FHS superfan
    Feb. 23, 2010 12:29 p.m.

Fremont high school basketball is takin down syracuse tonight to claim the region 1 title! go wolves!

• Joyce
    Feb. 24, 2010 11:12 a.m.

Gee, the SLC Temple looks dated, let's update it. Come on, where is the Historical Society of Ogden? How fun would it be to fight The Church! That wacky architecture is part of history and should be preserved and honored. Sophisticated societies have learned to embrace their history. Many of the Temples are amazing snapshots of the historical architecture of the era they were constructed in and we shouldn't lose that history.

• Ogden Fan
    Feb. 25, 2010 12:53 a.m.

Melba, that's impossible, since the Ogden Temple was dedicated in 1972 and President McKay died in 1970---unless you saw him in another way! Could you be thinking of President Joseph Fielding Smith? That's who was the President of the Church. I was present, and that's who was there!