Utah

Card fraud turns up at pumps in Sandy: Police see increase of 'skimming' financial information

Comments

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 9:09 a.m.

This is the real deal and it is happening now. My bank (Wells Fargo) detected a fraudulent attempt to withdraw cash from an ATM in Los Angeles two days ago (Sunday). There was a balance inquiry and then an attempt. Whatever the criminals were using was detected as fraudulent.... perhaps because I had just made purchases in Midvale. I'm not sure how they detected it but they did! I received a call from my bank and verified that it wasn't me attempting the transaction.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 10:19 a.m.

it would be nice to know what store this happened at so those of us that might have been at this gas station can check our accounts.

• Call your sources & dont wait!
    Feb. 16, 2010 10:28 a.m.

Dont Fall for those Cyberspace Winnings..
    Keep up with those better Business Bureau!!!!

• Can you pay
    Feb. 16, 2010 10:28 a.m.

for gas inside at the counter safely with a debit card? Or is there a skimmer hidden in there somewhere too? Sheesh, what next?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 10:29 a.m.

This actually happened to me last week. I looked at my online Bank account and someone in Burbank California had withdrawn $1000 per day using my ATM card and PIN number, they stayed at the same ATM taking $200 dollars out at a time. The next day they went to Sunset Blvd and did the same thing. I was mystified how this could happen. I am the only one who has a Debit card under my account and I have never lost it. I was lucky, my bank reimbursed me. It is truly amazing that there are people out there that do this. But I am a person who believes in Karma 

• Contact your Bank let them Take
    Feb. 16, 2010 10:39 a.m.

CARE OF THIS MATTER RIGHT AWAY!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 10:56 a.m.

D-News, update your story.... both KUTV and the Trib are reporting "The device was located inside a pump at a 7-11 store at 2165 East 9400 South in Sandy"

• Who dunnit?
    Feb. 16, 2010 11:12 a.m.

How does this happen without the complicity of the store management or employees? Why not tell us the store so that we can avoid it?

• @thank you for the UpDate
    Feb. 16, 2010 11:26 a.m.

If thiers a Problem go to them directly=
    To get them to help you out..Dont wait!

• Wow Thats Bad So Bad!!!
    Feb. 16, 2010 12:06 p.m.

They showed the Photo on
    what they done to To the CRIME

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 1:36 p.m.

I live on the west side of the valley and it happened to me last week. so there may be other locations. It would be great to know whatto look for.

• Anonymous1000
    Feb. 16, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Use cash.... that is the best advice...

• How do they do it?
    Feb. 16, 2010 3:23 p.m.

You mean to tell me that someone takes apart the gas pump, installs the device, puts it back together again, and nobody at the station knows? Are they clueless? You mean nobody, including other customers, don't see someone doing this? Tell us, how do they do it?

• Just to Clarify
    Feb. 16, 2010 3:27 p.m.

So just to clarify . . . if you ran your transaction as "credit" then you wouldn't be in trouble here, right? It's only if you used your pin number and that got transmitted by bluetooth (with your other card info.) and then they created a fake copy of your credit card, used your pin, and tried to withdraw money in LA . . . correct?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 3:37 p.m.

A electrical circuit must be interrupted to install one of these devices. Why wouldn't they have a system that is alerted if there is a power interruption to the card scanner? In a perfect situation a sensor would detect the power was off, inform the store and keep the power or until the owner imputes a activation code.

• What?
    Feb. 16, 2010 4:02 p.m.

So the first device was found at the end of January and the second one just lately. Why did the police wait until Feb 16th to release this info. How many other folks have been taken by this device in the last two weeks who could have avoided that mess if they known? Hello out there! This is something that the consumer needs to know about ASAP! Not 2-3 weeks later.

• Easier just t` pay inside,w`CASH
    Feb. 16, 2010 4:13 p.m.

Now thats Tacky Bull
    When thiers so many people
    out there Already having Hardships..

• scarey
    Feb. 16, 2010 4:18 p.m.

This is scarey!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 4:26 p.m.

This happened to me and I live in California. My card was charged for $140 of gas 700 miles away from me.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 4:28 p.m.

I think the establishments should share some of the blame. Most convenience stores have cameras on the the gas pumps, plus they are open 24/7. What was the clerk doing when this happened? They had to dismantle the front of the pump to install the device and the police say the stores were innocent victims as well. Give me a break.

• Naruto
    Feb. 16, 2010 4:35 p.m.

Actually, people should be even more wary of giving there credit/debit cards to waiters/waitresses. This is where 50% of credit card fraud happens. They don't need a scanner to get ahold of you number although some of them probably have one on them.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 4:50 p.m.

The article reads:
    The device, which had been in place for the past 60 days, was discovered around the end of January inside a gas pump at a 7-Eleven at 2165 E. 9400 South, according to Sandy Police Sgt. Troy Arnold. It is the second such device found in the city, and one of about 180 found along the Wasatch Front in just the past four months, Arnold said.

So 180 have been found in the past 4 months along the Wasatch Front.

• Info
    Feb. 16, 2010 5:27 p.m.

These devices do not always require that the pump, ATM, or other scanners be disassembled. They can simply attach these to the outside of the scanner. Just be cautious if you see a scanner that seems bigger or longer than normal, or just use cash.

• New Law
    Feb. 16, 2010 6:35 p.m.

I think we need to reinstall the old law of stoning identity thieves including credit card skimmers!

• blue and white stripes
    Feb. 16, 2010 8:19 p.m.

Anyone can look up the transactions on the bank's web page immediately after they get home. You can see skimmers' transactions and notify the merchants involved and they will notify the police immediately.
    Why wait a week or months for report before they take actions? I have quicken software and I always can go through every transactions to check if my money goes to the right hands.

• Use cash?
    Feb. 16, 2010 11:17 p.m.

Seriously, that's the best answer? There's a reason I use cards instead of cash - convenience and speed. And how do you get your cash in the first place? Yes, you go to an ATM, and get your card number stolen by a skimmer at the ATM. That's not too helpful of a suggestion. Checking your credit card / debit card activity online is more helpful.

• Some dont use credit Cards
    Feb. 16, 2010 11:34 p.m.

Pay inside STORE with cash
    Credit cards are not good
    to use for this reason
    Its a Scam going on in SALT LAKE CITY~

• Thanks 4`Article,& Our SLPDept..
    Feb. 16, 2010 11:39 p.m.

Thiers alot of Scammers..

• Inside job.
    Feb. 17, 2010 3:47 a.m.

Either someone in the station or retail business or a service technician has to be involved to disassemble these pumps to attach them to circuit boards. It can't just be attached to the exterior part of the pumps and not alert store owners of people leaving and not paying. These devices have to be paralleled with the store inside meters. And to do it would take some time to install them without being noticed by store employees.

This is not a drive by theft, it has to have a team to pull it off. What are the police doing to alert store and shop owners of altered credit card readers? They're not doing much to notify the public of this by letting it continue for months without any warnings.

This is more than skimming, it's wholesale robbery.

Electronic theft has become too easy and the time will come that store owners won't take credit or debit cards in payment. Some have already stopped taking plastic money for this and bank costs to accept them. Credit card costs and loses are an overhead near the top of retail operating costs.

• Ralph
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:10 a.m.

If it works in Utah you can take it on the road to everywhere else.

• keith
    Feb. 17, 2010 9:20 a.m.

i recently visited san deigo,ca. on vacation.i used my credit card at several restaurants.when i returned home and checked my account online charges were coming from a resort hotel in the indian ocean,including a 650 dollar bar tab,they had a great time for a while until bank cancelled card.

• The punishment for
    Feb. 17, 2010 9:37 a.m.

this kind of theft needs to be severe and ruthless. Any time some scumbag decides to invade your private life and finances for their gain, they don't deserve any rights after that. Identity Theft needs a new designation and penalty attached to it. It's a cold calculated way of ruining people lives and it needs to be dealt with on a new level of punishment.

• Chuck
    Feb. 17, 2010 9:46 a.m.

Look at that picture on the article, someone clearly had to open up the machine and install some hardware. It wasn't just something they put on the outside of the gas pump. Someone who has or had the key to the pump should be held responsible. I do not think this is something all credit card users need to worry about because it can only happen when someone who works at or owns the place messes up.

• Crime in Sandy
    Feb. 17, 2010 10:39 a.m.

Why does Sandy have so much crime? Everyday there are stories about bank robberies, drug busts, and other crimes in Sandy.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 17, 2010 11:23 a.m.

These things aren't just like a refrigerator magnet that you just slap onto the refrigerator. They had to OPEN UP THE PUMP to do this. How was this done with no one noticing????

• Cali Mafia
    Feb. 17, 2010 11:41 a.m.

These smells of Cali Mafia. They have been moved here because of cheaper taxes and homes. All these cali transplants are suspects. Be wary of them! They are Lakers fans, too. We need an extermination order to drive them out and back where they belong.

• zfnb
    Feb. 17, 2010 9:14 p.m.

I work for a local bank and we have had a large number of customers who were affected by this scam. Banks have identified the cards that were affected and are working on closing down old cards and getting new ones to our customers. Be careful when you make these transactions and check your activity frequently for any unusual transactions on your account. You can't just rely completely on the bank to catch these things (although we do try hard), you are just as responsible to keep track of your account. Be careful everyone! We're working on a solution

• Anonymous
    Feb. 17, 2010 11:59 p.m.

I was just contacted by my Credit Union and they let me know that these people got ahold of my debit card and had pulled out $1400 dollars from my savings and checking. This is definitely a weary incident. Im only 19 and Im afraid to use any new cards they send me!

• THEeyepatch
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:56 a.m.

Cyber pirates, criminals are getting more high tech and the police "NEED YOUR HELP." My advice.... stay off the grid.