Utah

Hatch creates uproar on 'don't ask, don't tell'

Comments

• Henry Drummond
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:00 a.m.

If I understand our senior Senator's position he clearly, forthrightly, and unequivocally wishes to be on both sides of the issue at the same time.

• Hatch is a Liberal
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:04 a.m.

It is time for Hatch to go. He does not represent Utahns and is more like Ted Kennedy than like a Republican. Hatch does not stand for anything and will say whatever will get him re-elected. He does not support moral or conservative causes.

• Tarn
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:09 a.m.

The political buzzword of this decade... "I misspoke"...

• Stan.
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:09 a.m.

These people who have sexual preferences should not have anymore rights than straight people have, military or no military. My opinion is that if you are a homosexual(notice I didn't say gay because gay should never have been used to describe these people,NEVER NEVER!!!) you can practice your choice privately and still serve in the military or in society as whole for that matter. It's no one's business what sex you prefer, just so long as you remain private about this issue. As for Pres. Obama stating a repeal of the don't ask don't tell military policy, well I believe he has more important issues concerning the welfare of our country than this one....Thanks for listening...

• slgs5
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:10 a.m.

Usually I am not a fan of Political talk. Not choosing a side and speaking out of both sides of the mouth. Usually I am not a fan of Hatch. In this case, however, I feel his comments make sense. All he is saying, is, lets see. Lets look into. Sounds pretty common sense to me. In other words, I might not like it, but I am willing to look at it. That thinking I can respect.

• Their own worst enemy!
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:10 a.m.

While in the past I've not been much impressed with Senator Hatch, tt appears that he is remaining open-minded about this issue. It is also evident that the Gay Activists are simply looking for an excuse rail on everyone about their cause. They still haven't come to the realization that "they" are their own worst enemy.

• Thinking is good
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Look, I'm not the biggest fan of Senator Hatch, but I appreciate that he is at least willing to wait for a study and look at the results before entrenching himself in a position on the matter.

• No more old men in WA
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:37 a.m.

I believe that Hatch is another big dog in Washington who needs to go. I would like to see not just Dems, but also Reps who have been on the hill forever to be done. We need new blood and people who do not sway with the wind or barter their votes. These men get old and I am sorry, old men seem to get really full of themselves. I love them, but they think that the buck stops with them, like they get pushy, cause is the only way to show their manhood.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:37 a.m.

That's right- there is no way Mr Hatch you would support a patriotic man or women that has served our country because they were gay. Keep saying it louder! The polls from the people for allowing gays in the military are now 75% for it. Not in Utah huh?

• Mr Hatch
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:38 a.m.

Shame on you!

• UTAH Bill
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:39 a.m.

Nice stance, Hatch. You've got an open mind on the issue - other than you are against it.

• Oh my
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:43 a.m.

Orrin never has really gotten used to the idea that when he goes on TV there's a record of his comments, poor fellow. That darn technology.

• You said it, Orrin
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:47 a.m.

The statement to Andrea Mitchell speaks for itself. If you misspoke, man up and admit it. Don't blame liberals for accurately quoting what you said.

• Wm Bommer
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:48 a.m.

every time Hatch opens his mouth
    he puts his foot in it

• Malder
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:50 a.m.

Hatch likes to speak out of both sides of his mouth. Always wanting to come across as a moderate wanting to compromise to make everyone happy. He needs to be retired. We need conservatives with backbones representing Utah, which Hatch is not.

• Jeff
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:51 a.m.

So what the Senator is really saying is he always tries to do what his fellow homophobs feel is right. I'm a registered republican but will not cast my vote for any person regardless of party if they change their beliefs for political reasons. Can we say McCain?

• AUH20
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:53 a.m.

"You don't have to be straight to shoot straight"
    Barry Goldwater-

• Lou
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:56 a.m.

What's wrong with supporting Truth? Why are so many people afraid of it? I'm sure our soldiers can handle it. Hatch does NOT support liberal causes, he only wants us to believe that he is open-minded in order to keep his career position as senator.

• Bill Bob
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:57 a.m.

What I don't always understand it that gay people want to be treated as equal in all respects but also want to be treated as a special class also. The take each position depending on what they are after. I have gay friends who act very normal and I enjoy being around. But I also have gay friends who flaunt it and always are talking dirty etc. They sensationalize it and make it weird. I don't like that at all. I would also not like straight people who would publicly flaunt sexuality and get freaky in public either....the difference is they don't. Gay people want to be mainstream they should act like it...not walk naked in a gay pride parade....

• Who wants to know???
    Feb. 4, 2010 10:59 a.m.

Who wants to know if someone is homosexual? Is it the heterosexuals? Is it the homosexuals? Why does anyone need to know? Why do they feel compelled to tell anyone. I have preferences of my own. I don't feel like I need to run around and tell anyone or everyone, as they seem to think they need to.

• Make a stand Hatch!!!
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:04 a.m.

Hatch has been in congress too long!! Good grief Orin, it's not that hard to make a stand. All this political two stepping only makes you look foolish and there are enough of those in Washington already. Either you want gays in the military and to heck with the consequences or you feel the moral and fighting ability of our forces is more important. There is no middle ground here. Come on Orin, this is easy!!!

• Hatch
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:06 a.m.

Seems likes he wants to go both ways.

• Mike
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:08 a.m.

Hey Anonymous | 10:37, where is that poll? I've not ever seen a poll done on this subject.

• What is equality
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:08 a.m.

At issue, is that if repealed, Gays CAN be persicuted simply for being Gay, while a Hetro CANNOT...

That's not equaility.

• Janet
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:11 a.m.

To slgs5: Right on!

• Good for Sen Hatch
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:19 a.m.

people complain when politicians lie and are now complaining when one has the fortitude to say what he feels. Good for Senator Hatch, there should be no special privileges for troops who are breaking rules, regardless of what the rule is. Next the soldiers who struggle with alcoholism are going to want their commanders to look the other way when they get too drunk to perform their best. Get rid of the don't ask don't tell policy and either change the rule or live by it.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Did you read his comments? It makes sense. Excuse him for thinking!

• Douglas
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:30 a.m.

Orrin Hatch: You need to resign from the Senate! you are either for or against the "Don't ask; Don't tell policy. you have caused enough problems for us already, the first problem was writing that Hannukah song, this past December, causing talk show host Conan O'Brian to make fun of the LDS Church; so, Hatch, GET OUT OF THE UNITED STATES SENATE AND STAY OUT BECAUSE YOUR TOO OLD!

• Tyler
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:31 a.m.

Hatch is exactly what is wrong with our leaders in Washington. I want a leader that I can trust - one that I KNOW where they stand on an issue, even if I disagree with him/her. I would rather have a leader that I disagree with occasionally than one who I have no idea what they are going do do or how that are going to vote.

• Voice of Reason
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:42 a.m.

Keeping "don't ask, don't tell" is really the only way to go on this issue, but I'm just a little torn. Nobody - gay OR straight - should be over-the-top "parading" their sexuality when fighting a war or serving in the military. And government certainly has no business encouraging ANY dangerous & deadly personal lifestyle, including homosexuality.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of forcing out gays who are otherwise model soldiers that were keeping their sexuality to themselves, but were outed through no fault of their own.

I'd feel the same about a soldier who was, for example, privately practicing sado-masochism without telling any one. That's a terribly dangerous, deadly and decadent lifestyle that I disagree deeply with, but if somebody else "outed" them on it I don't think they should be necessarily fired for it, unless it was affecting their performance as a soldier.

• USAF veteran
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:46 a.m.

If you're not in the military, stay out!

You can have an opinion,
    but this is a Military issue - not civilian.

• I Know, How Dare Hatch Think!
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:53 a.m.

I am as outraged as the rest! How dare a Senator not take a position before actual facts are presented to him. We don't want out elected officials thoughtfully looking at issues--NO! We want them to be pigheaded and close minded when dealing with every issue. Facts simply get in the way of strong opinions which the public loves to reward in polling data. Be part of the system Senator Hatch--NO THINKING ALLOWED!!!

• re: What is equality
    Feb. 4, 2010 11:54 a.m.

"If you are putting your life on the line for your country, your race, your politics, your color or any other thing including your sexuality should NOT matter. If you're willing to die for your country, then your country should at the MINIMUM...be willing to treat you with equality."

Here's the problem with your statement: we have a 100% volunteer army. In other words, nobody is forced to participate. Although it is noble for someone to want to fight for his/her country, he/she is still required to follow the rules that he/she agrees to upon enlistment. If he/she doesn't like DADT, he/she does not have to participate.

• I finally get it
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:04 p.m.

I finally figured it out Hatch must be Bi-political. Good thing they do not have a don't ask don't tell in the senate or he would be out.

• MAYBE
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:10 p.m.

Maybe I do,

Maybe I don't,

Anyway,

VOTE FOR ME!

• kisa sand faiy
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:20 p.m.

change it that is what i say i have problem with it norn the people how are guy in any way some of if not most of my friends are guy or by

• Sure
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:20 p.m.

Talk about wishy washy! Typical politician!

• PP
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:22 p.m.

After reading what Hatch said it is obvious that the homosexual rights activists read into it what they wanted. He only said he would be open to debate, not that he supported a repeal of Don't ask Don't tell.

• Publius
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:23 p.m.

Why are all of our Mormon politicians such flip floppers? Mitt Romney, Hatch, Bennett, and Reid have absolutely 0 (zero) credibility and consistency. It's a shame with one has to look at someone outside our borders and faith for consistency, someone like Ron Paul.

• To USAF veteran
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:30 p.m.

First, thank you for your service to our country.

In a free and democratic society, the military always answers to civilian authority. Since the military is established to provide for the common defense, military issues effect and impact all citizens.

You probably recall from your elisted or commissioning oath that all members of the military vow to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. This is the primary mission of all branches of the armed forces. All citizens, residents, and (as recently affirmed) even corporations enjoy freedom of speech.

Therefore, it is right and appropriate for any and all citizens to exercise their franchise and speak out on this and other important issues, even if these issues initially appear to primarily affect service members.

Thank you.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:30 p.m.

"[My number one pet peeve -- I hate it when civilians tell the military what to do. We do go around telling civilians what to do.]"

When I served, I understood that civilians like congress and our president controlled the military. Your view is a great argument for bring back the draft.

• Evets
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:31 p.m.

Hatch is working hard to lose my support. Just the fact that he would consider doing away with DADT is too much for me. As a 29 year military vet I have to agree with "USAF Veteran" post above. Civilians don't understand the complexities of military life. Military life is not the same as civilian jobs/life. We depend on very, very close unit cohesion where we depend on the trust that each other of us will defend and perserve the life/lives of the others. We have to live on-the-edge and we can not doubt the guy next to us.

There are plenty of gays in the military and 99.9% of them keep to themselves and do a good job. I never saw one kicked out only because he/she was gay. It was always something else like sexual advances on a subordnate but then I saw the same thing happen to hetrosexuals who did the same.

Bottom line: Leave the military alone and quit trying to make it a social experiment. I can already see the next moves...marriage, benifits, lawsuits.....just watch once they get this one.

• re usaf veteran
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:33 p.m.

this may be a military issue, but us civilians have a say. we the people run the show not we the military.

• Re: Who wants to know
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:34 p.m.

I'm with you, I really don't want to know.

• Don't care
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:46 p.m.

I don't what he says I only care about how he votes.

• To: Who want to know
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:53 p.m.

I totally agree, I have interest in anyone's orientation. I don't want to know so keep your orientation whatever it is to yourself.

• Just a thought
    Feb. 4, 2010 12:59 p.m.

To those that believe gays should keep there private life to themself. Would you agree to go to the military ball without your wife/husband. Can you please update your emergency contact list on your DD forms to show no one except maybe your parents. Can you also remove pictures of your spouse or significant other off your desk. Can you not take or make phone calls that include "I love you" "See you when I get home honey". See folks - it's not about being gay straight or even BI. It's about the everyday stuff that we miss out on that you take advantage of every day. It's about the love we have for another person whether they be a different sex or not. A quote I read online said "I killed two men they gave me a medal , I loved one and they gave me a discharge".

• The Interviwers
    Feb. 4, 2010 1:02 p.m.

Were wearing byu shirts that why he said that

• Good job Orrin
    Feb. 4, 2010 1:05 p.m.

Keep up the good work!

• Patsy Hatch
    Feb. 4, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Now, if you didn't know it before, you can understand why Hatch was Kennedy's patsy in the Republican party. Yet we keep sending him back there. Is it because we in Utah have an inferiority complex?

• Sexual preference
    Feb. 4, 2010 1:20 p.m.

shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not a person can serve in the military or anywhere else. It shouldn't remain "don't ask, don't tell," it shouldn't even be an issue for discussion. Want to join the military and support your country? Do it! Want to pick your nose in private? Do it! Hate mushrooms and don't want them on your pizza? Order it without any, but don't stand up and tell everyone that you hate mushrooms, because there might be some mushroom lovers in the room and you might make them angry. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with SO MANY things in life. Can't we just let this rest?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 1:50 p.m.

What's there to see Senator? You're Mormon and know that homosexuality is immoral--why promote it?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 2:07 p.m.

Hatch trying to have it both ways....

• @Sexual preference
    Feb. 4, 2010 2:28 p.m.

Bravo! I am a 20-year retired Army NCO. I don't see what the big deal is. If anyone wants to serve their country, let them do it for heaven's sake. so what if a person is openly gay, as long as he can shoot straight and is competent at their job, who gives a rats who they go home with at night and how they spend their free time.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 3:04 p.m.

I am a retired female veteran and here are the facts about gays in the military:

1. They are there and many of them are open about it to some of us who are served.

2. It does hurt the moral of the military.

• @1:50
    Feb. 4, 2010 3:07 p.m.

Just because you say it is immoral doesn't make it so. Not everyone in the US is a conservative Mormon.

• Active Duty Air Force
    Feb. 4, 2010 3:11 p.m.

I'm active duty in the Air Force. On many occasions, PT, exercises, deployments, we have gang showers. I realize that not all gay men would be attracted to me, just as I'm not attracted to all women, but I find it just as akward having to share a shower with a gay man as I would with a woman. Don't repeal don't ask don't tell.

• ramper
    Feb. 4, 2010 3:31 p.m.

Re: @1:50

Just curious. Do you think it is natural?

• @ramper
    Feb. 4, 2010 3:50 p.m.

It does not matter how I feel about it. It is a civil rights issue and soldiers are entitled to civil rights like all other Americans. I served my 20 years, how about you? I knew there were gays in the military and it didn't bother me at all. I am a mature adult and not titillated or embarrassed by the thought that someone might see me naked. I work with gay people now and I have never been propositioned, never been treated improperly, or made to feel uncomfortable.

Once again, how I feel about homosexuality is not an issue and no one's business.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 3:52 p.m.

Active Duty Air Force hate to break it to you but, you're still takin' shower's with Gay men under DADT... you just don't know it.

• Response to @1:50, 3:07 pm
    Feb. 4, 2010 4:02 p.m.

To say that "not everyone in the US is a conservative Mormon" says a lot, assuming you're LDS of course. Looks like you've chosen to go along with the world; without regard for scripture, your understanding of our pre-mortal existence, the Plan of Salvation, your exaltation, etc. if I understand you, it doesn't matter what it is that may be wrong in the eyes of Heavenly Father, if enough people do it and there's enough outcry and protest, you go along with the world. Very Sad!

• Doug G
    Feb. 4, 2010 4:08 p.m.

Worse yet, apparently ol' orinns' cel phone rang during this prayer thing in Washington today. It's on CNN; I guess Orrin owes everyone there a round...

• To judge and jury 4:02 PM
    Feb. 4, 2010 4:18 p.m.

Yes, I am active LDS, straight, and an American who served his country in uniform for my first career. How does it feel to sit in your ivory tower and be my judge? I only have two judges, my Bishop and God.

There's so much I want to say to you, but you chose the path of piety. I can sleep at night knowing I am not judging others, but accepting their differences like I have been taught to. How typical of someone like you to judge me.

• Values & Principles
    Feb. 4, 2010 4:39 p.m.

I think that Senator Hatch has proven that he doesn't have core values and principles that he can stand by. Why does he need to look at a study to see if this is a good idea or not? Isn't he in Washington, and didn't he vote for don't ask don't tell in the first place? He already should be informed on this issue enough to have an opinion and to articulate it. The fact that he wants to play dumb and act like he's so "open" to all sides of this difficult issue, just shows what a professional politician he's become.

Time to retire Senator, we want regular American's to represent us in Washington, not a polished liar like yourself.

• kangor
    Feb. 4, 2010 4:52 p.m.

Leaving aside the issue of whether permitting gay citizens to serve in the military is good military policy, I would like to talk about those who oppose gays in the military because they believe that homosexual practice is immoral.

To those, I would ask their feelings about prostitution. I am well aware what a thriving business prostitution is around military bases. And, to my knowledge, the US military is not in the habit of kicking soldiers out of the military for engaging the services of prostitutes--even though the practice is illegal in the US and most countries where we have military bases.

If immoral behavior should be a reason for removing someone from the military, then shouldn't the soldiers who buy women be booted? Prostitution is (I believe) immoral for reasons that include--but go beyond--sexual wrongdoing. Many (not all, but many) prostitutes are virtual slaves, particularly those working around US bases in foreign countries. That kind of prostitution is, effectively, the same as buying temporary slaves. It is immoral and an abuse of power in any case.

Unless the military is going to crack down on prostitution, the immorality argument against gay makes no sense.

• oh really!
    Feb. 4, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Keep in mind that when military units were first integrated racially there were a lot of people yapping that it "be disturbing" and affect "unit cohesiveness" just like now. Change needs to happen. Secretary of Defense Gates says he knows how to manage change. Let the armed forces start doing sensitive training, set up policies for dealing with those who will discriminate, and beginning taking steps to end this injustice.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 4, 2010 7:29 p.m.

Name one career politician that hasnt flipped flop.

• Blaine Nay
    Feb. 5, 2010 10:54 a.m.

Just what we need: politicians with courage of their convictions -- both sides! Hatch only has courage to do what's right when he feels the pressure of his constituents. It's time for him to be booted out of office along with at least 90% of the rest of them.

• George Nada
    Feb. 5, 2010 11:18 a.m.

re: USAF veteran | 11:46 a.m. Feb. 4, 2010

(([My number one pet peeve -- I hate it when civilians tell the military what to do.))

Yeah. Darn that Constitution.

• Debra
    Feb. 5, 2010 11:27 a.m.

I asked my son this question about Gays/Lesbians in the Military. He served two tours in Iraq with the Army.
    He said he would finish his enlistment and get out or would not join.
    I don't think gay's and lesbians would be safe?
    I have heard what happens off base when there are personal disputes between military soldiers. It isn't pleasant.
    It isn't a matter of what's right but a matter of safety.

• huggy bear
    Feb. 5, 2010 11:40 a.m.

It is obvious Hatch is getting senile! He can't keep track of what he has and has not said, and he can't even remember to turn off his dang cell phone when he is giving a prayer in front of the nation's leaders! What an incompetent fool!

• Debby
    Feb. 5, 2010 11:54 a.m.

Talk about speaking out of both sides of your mouth!!! Why, not ot mention how, does the media look to Senator Hatch for any kind of intelligent, informed response to anything that doesn't fit in his Wonderbread White, Morman, Conservative box of life? He has been in office far too long and is far too closed minded to speak on this issue. I do not believe he is informed on this and many issues that involve people, organizations, issues that are "different" from his very narrow-minded beliefs and life. Please do yourself and the people of Utah justice and go away Senator. It is time for you to relax, enjoy retirement and go on a mission for your beloved institution you refer to as "The Church."

• I admire
    Feb. 5, 2010 4:01 p.m.

anyone who wishes to serve their country - ESPECIALLY in the military. Everyone has the right to serve without fear - AND, on the other hand, without worries about being hit on by other soldiers. Ask my son. It's not a pleasant experience.

Patriotic military members of any orientation need to realize that being in the military means it ISN'T ABOUT YOU. No need to wear stuff on your sleeve. Except your I.D.

• I'm going out on a limb
    Feb. 9, 2010 7:10 a.m.

and speculating that we know more in the 21st century about homosexuality than people did thousands of years ago (I think most people would agree with that) I'm also going out on a limb and saying that billions of people in the world don't take scriptures literally, but know them for what they are....Old writings which are sometimes (or often) legends of tribal people. It is nobody's business if you believe them to be literally true just as it isn't anyone's elses business what someone's sexual preference is. Leave religion where it is and let's have that separation between the military and it.

• Barbara
    Feb. 9, 2010 9:47 a.m.

Retirement should be requisite after a designated term limit. Mr. Hatch should find a different job, maybe writing hit and after hit in the music world.

• Erica
    Feb. 25, 2010 4:21 p.m.

there is nothing stranger to me than republican mormons. do you know republicans think you're nuts, most of them are Southern Baptist! Seriously, keep siding with the enemy, it only makes you look dumb.