Recruiting 101: selling a program

Comments

• Recruiting advise
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:53 p.m.

I just attended a recruiting seminar last week put on by Paul Putnam. He is a recruiting expert that gives out free advise on how to maximize your opportunities. He taught 3 things that coaches look for. Academics, charactor and being committed/playing hard. According to this article, he is spot on. I know he speaks every week at a different High School. If you get a chance to go. It will be worth it.

• Scalleywag
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:41 a.m.

Morgan Scalley doesn't care so much about making Utah better but rather trying to make BYU worse. He "hates (BYU)...ever since (he) was born!" Wow! I didn't know a baby's first words could be "I hate BYU." But, apparently his were. Just go look at the tapes. Although he did sound like he was crying like a baby when he said it.

• Utefan
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:46 a.m.

Morgan is one of the U's very best recruiters. He as recruited many of the U's best recruits in the short time he has been a coach. Coach Whit has rewarded him my putting him in charge of recruiting.

Scalleywag is obviously a jealous Y-ner who has nothing better to do than deposit his cat scat in some one else's sandbox. He is like most Y-ners a knownothing when it comes to Utah athletics.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 4:57 a.m.

Morgan Scalley is a GREAT recruiter. If he hates BYU - all the better!

• akk
    Feb. 2, 2010 6:16 a.m.

So many haters in Provo... Max and Bronco forever

• Aggie Watcher
    Feb. 2, 2010 7:53 a.m.

Getting a recruit is basically a sales job by all universities. Coach Andersen, staff and administration at USU knows how to sell USU and Logan to athletes. Go Aggies.

• Max is great
    Feb. 2, 2010 8:06 a.m.

I didn't like him before, but after those comments I became the biggest fan ever.

• Don't Worry
    Feb. 2, 2010 8:08 a.m.

at least women's gymnastics could beat byu this year

• to: Utefan
    Feb. 2, 2010 8:14 a.m.

If Morgan is one of your best recruiters you better hire someone else that can get the job done. With two bsc wins under your belt the Utes should be getting a lot better recruiting class than they are. Even the so called experts at ESPN says that Utah has dropped the ball in recruiting over the last couple years. But I guess it must be hard going after recruites especially in Utah when you know you are just getting BYU's leftovers.

• to: Utefan | 8:14 a.m
    Feb. 2, 2010 8:58 a.m.

Dear Utefan / 8:14

You do understand if just 2 or the 4 targeted recruits choose Utah tomorrow the Utes will have a higher rated 2010 class - right? As it stand now BYU is rated only 5 spots higher.

V.J ( LB) 4 star 90% to Utah
    Cullen ( OL) 4 star 75% to Utah
    Ricky Heimul ( DE) 4 star 50% to Utah
    Lucky Radel ( ATH) 4 star 50% to Utah

It’s a very tight race and as usual, zoobs have declared victory before it’s over.

• Recruiting Problems
    Feb. 2, 2010 9:18 a.m.

The reason why Utah's recruiting is down is because of the BCS. Just because Utah busts a BCS bowl dosesn't mean that our recruiting is going to skyrocket. Kids want to play football where they are going to get national exposure and BCS schools are the only ones that can promise that. Recruiting won't get better for any non-BCS team until the BCS offers a playoff system or is done away with.

• Same old story
    Feb. 2, 2010 9:22 a.m.

Every year byu gets this so called great recruiting class. They never make the BCS and always lose at least 1 non-conference game, (every year since they have been in the MWC).

• Chuckb
    Feb. 2, 2010 9:45 a.m.

Morgan Scalley is doing a great job up at the U. Keep it up Morgan! Can't wait for tomorrow!

Go Utes!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 9:57 a.m.

All this doesn't matter until you put them on the field and see how they do. Can't wait for the season to start. Until then children calm down.

• re: scalleywag
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:04 a.m.

Yeah he does hate byu as do I. However he has never been so dumb to make comments during a press conference right after a game in which they won.

I'm sure your post made you feel a little better but it's off topic and pointless.

Morgan has done a great job for the Utes and I'm excited to see what happens tomorrow - hopefully they can lock down a couple of those 4 star guys mentioned above.

Go Utes!!!

• laughalittle
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:15 a.m.

Re:Same old story. And usually end the regular season by beating Utah. 3 of 4 and counting.

• Dont Worry...really
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:26 a.m.

Dont Worry

You seem to be really impressed that your cougs needed overtime with a team full of Seniors, playing at home to beat a rebuilding Utah team with a freshman QB. Looking forward to the rematch in SLC. The accute beat down coming will be difficult for the Cougs Nation to witness.

• Floyd Johnson
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:31 a.m.

To: Same old story

I did not check, but it seems BYU went undefeated in conference play 2001, 2006, 2007. I do apologize if that is incorrect.

The exciting thing about football in Utah is how close BYU and Utah have been over the last few years. Both programs have brought in good recruits, and are very closely matched. This may be the best time in history for football in Utah. Imagine if Utah State is able to put some winning seasons together.

Looking forward to see how both programs come out this week.

• TheHailstorm RE: Scalleywagg
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:36 a.m.

Let us know when you guys win more than one bowl game.. BYU and all of their great recruiting still owns 1.5 million dollars that the UTAH BCS wins handed over to you ungrateful alley cats and yet you can't win 2 post season games , let alone 9 in a row. I get tired of listening
    about the great recruits- if you don't have the coaching to do it right.
    Also , quit pulling the honor code card.. I don't hear the Naval Academy or Air Force making a big deal but the blue bloods treat it like their honor code is a yoke around their neck and that it is a burden to live with.
    Max didn't do real well with it when it comes to respecting others and portraying a good image for the school, ( as written in your honor code ). Bronky did not reprimand Max as they had a bowl game to play , but the MWC issued a strong reprimand that was ignored. Scalley may have said something but we have no gag order like YBU.
    Two faced Prima Donnas is why your treated like hypocrites , rustlers , liars, outlaws, and thieves.

• TheHailstorm : A laugh a little
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:49 a.m.

Then Making a fool of themselves by winning a bowl game once every three or four years. Like 5 years in Vegas and counting.

• Sale outs
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:54 a.m.

yea, thats about right.

• RE: Recruiting Problems
    Feb. 2, 2010 11:07 a.m.

Don't know what you've been smoking, but to say "Utah's recruiting is down" is out of touch with reality. 2010 will be the 4th year in a row that the recruitng class at Utah has improved. For 2010 the current average star rating is 3.05 (ahead of Michigan State, Arizona State, Colroado, Arkansas and BYU etc). The last three years recruiting class average stars of 2007 = 2.32, 2008 = 2.73, 2009 = 2.84. The QUALITY of the recruits keeps on improving. Take a break from headlines and take a minute to understand the facts.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 11:51 a.m.

Utah's recruiting is not only improving year over year but they do an outstanding job at developing their players.

I laugh at the posts that come from BYU fans year after year after year. "BYU has the best recruiting class." "BYU won the recruiting war." "BYU's class this year is the best ever." Yeah, ok...so when will these great recruiting classes produce a great season?? BYU fans' enthusiasm for their recruiting class lasts until the first blow out loss is administered by some team. Then it time to go after Mendenahall.

The issue is simple...coaching. BYU just doesn't have it. Utah develops their players physically, mentally, and in skill techniques. BYU takes what they get and...well...

I love BYU fans...forever the best.

• Contest
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:07 p.m.

Why doesn't somebody set the record straight. Some of you think because of the utes recent success in bowl games that they have been financing BYU's athletics for years. Count the actual dollars since 1972 and I bet you will find that the utes have gathered in more bucks from BYU bowl games than the other way around. So what goes around, comes around. Your bowl games makes us money and our bowl games make you money. Why does it really matter. Let's all be thankful people!!!

• Great fan base
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:15 p.m.

I grew up in Utah. As a young kid i still remember my father taking me to Utah football games. My father later left the family, turned to drugs and beer. It was in my teen years when I started to like BYU. And for the past 25 years i have cheerd for the Cougar Blue. My father on the other hand still cheers for the Utes.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:17 p.m.

Re: Anonymous | 11:51 a.m.

"BYU fans' enthusiasm for their recruiting class lasts until the first blow out loss is administered by some team. Then it time to go after Mendenahall."

Very entertaining!

• Please
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:36 p.m.

If the Utes are overall and consistently better than the Cougs, wouldn't they have a better record? If Whitt is a better coach, wouldn't he have a better record? Count it...since the 2006 season, BYU has a 43-9 record. That beats the Utes' 40-12 record. Oh, and BYU is 3-1 against the Utes in those seasons. I think the "Who's the better coach/team" question has been settled on the field.

• Re: Please
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:55 p.m.

BYU has been slightly more consistent, true, but I bet they would trade their bowl placement and results with Utah in a second. Mendenhall and Whittingham have both done really well since taking over. RE: Great fan base--nice story sir. What is the point though?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:58 p.m.

To: Great fan base | 12:15 p.m.

How sad for you...why do I get the feeling you are lying? Hmmmmm....

• re: great fan base
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:00 p.m.

Wow, that's quite the generalization there about Utah fans. 25 years of repressed daddy issues and you probably somehow blame the U. I think what you need is some kind of professional counseling.

• Please
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Honestly, and I'm probably only saying this because I AM a BYU fan, I would rather be consistently pleased with my team than elated at the end of one year, ticked off at the end of the next few, then elated again a few years later. Like I said, I know that's probably my bias.

• Re: Anonymous | 11:51 a.m.
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Now look what you've done...the Cougs are all fired up again.

Re: Please | 12:36 p.m.
    "If the Utes are overall and consistently better than the Cougs, wouldn't they have a better record? If Whitt is a better coach, wouldn't he have a better record?"

First, Utah by far has better results. Head to head with BYU the Utes are down by one (2-5). All three losses were last second miracles two of which were on BYU's dug up, divot riddled, lousy grass.

The point being made by Anonymous | 11:51 a.m. is that BYU fans consistently claim to have better recruiting. Utah however gets the results. So, ask yourself before you jump on this board again and say something else stupid...why that is? If BYU's recruiting is so much better than Utah's, where's the results??

I agree with Anonymous | 11:51 a.m. the answer is coaching. Utah as a very talented coaching staff that knows how to teach and develop players.

• Re; Anonymous | 12:17 p.m.
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:13 p.m.

"It's fun to watch. BYU fans tell Mendenhall he is incompetent; Mendenhall tells his fans they are uneducated. Defensive Coordinator's house gets egged, BYU fans blame it on Utah fans (BYU is always the victim). It's a lovefest in Cougar-ville."

A good summary. Very funny...very true!

• re: great fan base
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:33 p.m.

I really hope you are not trying to tie the unfortunate issues in your father's life to being a fan of the University of Utah, but it sounds like that is exactly what you are trying to do.

Some of you BYU fans have no shame. No wonder everyone else thinks you guys are so self-rightous.
    President Monson is a Utah fan, how was he able to avoid the life of drugs and beer that you seem to tie to our fan base? Seriously, grow up.

• Floyd Johnson
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:33 p.m.

To Please, Re: Please

I think we all agree that both teams have been very closely matched recently. Comparing statistics over finite periods is useless. They are within three wins over three years, but what happens if we go back seven years. That is what makes this rivalry fantastic. Every year we debate which team is better, and we are really just tossing a coin until Thanksgiving weekend.

To Contest:

BYU has been invited to more bowl games. The current bowl systems makes us forget how difficult it was to be invited to any bowl game 30 years ago. Even though BYU may have played in more total bowl games, I doubt they have earned more for the league (regardless of the time period).

• Great fan base
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:33 p.m.

I just thought i would share my expierence. I actualy have fond memorys of those games as a 8 and 9 year old kid at Rice Eccles stadium. I made no comment that generalized utah fans. I simply shared the story of one Utah fan and one BYU fan.

• Please
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:41 p.m.

Haha! You're not really going to try to blame two of Utah's losses to the Y on the condition of the field, are you? Come on! Reminds me of when all the BYU fans back in '96 blamed the loss to Washington on the fact that the BYU players weren't used to playing on turf. Pathetic excuses.

• Get real!!
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:44 p.m.

I'm a BYU fan that has never lived in Utah and I like to check out the fans responses to BYU articles. Everytime I do there's always so much pathetic bickering. To the lame BYU and Utah fans that are always fighting about things that have nothing to do with the article: do you even have lives? It seems like all that you do is get on these things and try unsuccessfully to prove whos program is better. They're both good programs. There it's settled. Get real losers!! As for the article, I feel it really hit the nail on the head as far as recruiting goes. Very enjoyable read.

• Great Fan Base
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:58 p.m.

You really need some help. Why do you think the world revolves around your football and life time experiences. Sounds like you have found a group that thinks just like you. Enjoy, you have found what you are looking for. Keep wearing the blue glasses.

• Great fan base
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:01 p.m.

My brother who also attended Utah games with me and my father when we where kids is now a BYU fan. He still lives in Utah. He was at the BYU vs Utah game two years ago at Rice E Stadium. He and the rest of his family had beer and vulgarity thrown at them from the Utah fans he was sitting around. I am not generalizing here. What I share are personal experiences of individual fans.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:05 p.m.

To: Great fan base | 1:33 p.m.

True but the intended implication is there and yes, I do think you are lying. I thought BYU people weren't supposed to do that...

• Re:Please | 1:41 p.m.
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:08 p.m.

"Haha! You're not really going to try to blame two of Utah's losses to the Y on the condition of the field, are you?"

No, I absolutely am not blaming the condition of the field for Utah's losses. However, my reference to last minute miracles away from home stands.

I am merely pointing out that BYU's field looks awful. Based on your post, you don't disagree with that assessment.

I'll accept that, thank you.

• HONOR CODE
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:12 p.m.

Hardest place to recruit non LDS football players to is BYU. Even some LDS players have a hard time committing to following the honor code. I have no idea how BYU has ever done well in football or basketball with how hard it is to recruit. Maybe it's that they have mature athletes on the team I'm not sure. What surprises me is that San Diego St has a hard time recruiting with their location??? Maybe we do need to give some credit to the BYU coaching staff for all their athletic teams. Just to throw it out there for the utes fans BYU is 9-2 in the last 7 basketball games and 4 football games. Overall we have just been better and it's harder to recruit to our school so we must have better coaches also.

• Re: great fan base 1:58
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:15 p.m.

Way to go. You told him.

• Re: get real!!
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:29 p.m.

First I agree with your comments. Second, I don't understand all of this garbage about recruiting classes. EXAMPLE: Notre Dame supposedly has a top 5 recruiting class (nationally) every year. What kind of success have they had over the past 10 years? USC supposedly had the 2 recruiting class for the last 3 years. Where did they end up this year?
    Sports writers have to be the most arrogant people in the world. They put a number or a rating on an athlete then act like it is absolute fact. Then they are all so suprised when the top 5 or 10 athlete doesn't turn out to be a top 5 or 10 player.
    Top recruiting results are manifest only after the games have been played.

• To Great Fan Base
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:33 p.m.

Maybe you and your bro was the cause of him turning to beer and drugs? I know every single zoob that has ever attended a game at RES had had this or that done to them....ya know what zoobs if it is that bad then stay out!! Funny how the experiences are so horrible and yet you all come back?? I know as a Ute fan we get things thrown at us and cursed at down in good old "Happy Valley", you are no different, just like to pretend you are.

• Re: great fan base 2:33
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:57 p.m.

I used to blame myself when i was younger for my fathers leaving. Thinking my father left because it was something i had done. Maybe if i had done this or been that it would have been different. But i do think it was something personal to him as to why he turned to beer and drugs. Thanks for your 'kind' words.

• Re: 2:33pm
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:03 p.m.

classy comments.

• Re: HONOR CODE | 2:12 p.m.
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:18 p.m.

"Hardest place to recruit non LDS football players to is BYU. Even some LDS players have a hard time committing to following the honor code. I have no idea how BYU has ever done well in football or basketball with how hard it is to recruit."

Hard to recruit to BYU?? Are you serious?

First of all, the honor code is a sham at least when it comes to BYU's athletes. See 2009 Max Hall, Jan Jorgensen, and the BYU assistant coach.

Here's how BYU recruiting plays out...

Mendenhall sits down with the prospective player's family and explains the honor code. The parents fall in love with the idea that they can send their kid off to college where he won't get into trouble.

Prospective player listens to Coach Mendenhall and concludes that the guy is so dumb a player could get away with anything. Parents and player agree that BYU is the place to go. Prospective player quickly learns that he can, in fact, get away with anything at BYU's program unless it is really serious (i.e., DUI) and then he gets nailed but not until the information is public.

• Yeah but
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:26 p.m.

26-23!

• to :Re: Honor Code 3:18
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:30 p.m.

• Re: 2:12
    Feb. 2, 2010 3:37 p.m.

more classy comments from Ute fans.

• Re: Get real!!
    Feb. 2, 2010 4:08 p.m.

Whoever you are, I couldn't have said it any better myself! I'm a Utah fan but all this back and forth crap and immaturity (at its worse) is just childish. Like you said, some people have nothing better to do with their lives. Some of you BYU and Utah bloggers (LOSERS!!!), GET A LIFE!

• re: HC 3:18
    Feb. 2, 2010 4:09 p.m.

Key word there "some" - yeah some of your atheletes live a certain set of standards - and some don't.

Do you even realize that the majority of the student population at the U of U live by those "same standards?" The U also has many returned missionaries on all of their teams.

Your comment shows just how ignorant you are. Yeah Marshall Henderson slapped someone - the great thing is that he was dealt with and punnished immediately.

The double standard that exists down at the y is unbelievable. What about the kid that played 5 games with a DUI charge... oh yeah those were high standards. What about Max's tirade?? He was repremanded by the conference yet the school did absolutely nothing.

Don't get me wrong - I don't care what he said. Frankly the feeling is mutual. The irony is you claim to have and live by a "higher moral code" - it's all just words when your actions speak differently. Self righteousness isn't a good quality by the way - see 3:37 for more evidence...

You all need to get over yourselves and the vegas bowl streak - it's not that impressive.

Go Utes!

• re: Great Fan Base
    Feb. 2, 2010 7:22 p.m.

I have been a season ticket holder at Utah for 19 years. Live good, great family. I know it's hard to believe that my own children are great citizens and don't hate people. All plan on attending Utah. Your idiodic comments made your choice of schools less appealing. I truly hope my childeren and myself don't sound so idiotic.

• re: Dont Worry...really | 10:26
    Feb. 3, 2010 9:13 a.m.

"... with a team full of Seniors, playing at home to beat a rebuilding Utah team with a freshman QB"

You obviously have drank that kool-aid line to make yourself feel better.

Below is the starters from the 2 deeps listed by SLTribune before the season (and Wynn is considered for list below).

BYU Offense:
    1 - Freshman
    5 - Sophomore (6 underclassmen)
    2 - Junior
    3 - Senior (5 upperclassmen)

Utah Offense:
    3 - Freshman
    1 - Sophomore (4 underclassmen)
    4 - Junior
    5 - Senior (9 upperlcassmen)
    Whit likes to list more than 11, either because they are interchangeable contributors or he likes to keep others guessing.

BYU Defense:
    1 - Freshman
    1 - Sophomore (2 underclassmen)
    2 - Junior
    7 - Senior (9 upperclassmen)

Utah Defense:
    3 - Sophomore (3 underclassmen)
    1 - Junior
    8 - Senior (9 upperclassmen)

Who was the senior led team? Who is losing more players this year? You guys will make up anything (rebuilding) to make yourself feel better.

• re: re: HC 3:18
    Feb. 3, 2010 9:41 a.m.

So because a press release or news conference wasn't held to discuss it you automatically assume nothing was said or done about Max's comments.

If you only knew how private the school and Bronco keep things. It isn't your business what goes on. Most often when things are publicized it is because it comes from the athlete or their family. Not from Bronco or the school.

More often than not Bronco's comments to the media will be "X athlete has decided to leave the program and we are helping them transfer to a new school. Nothing else". If the athlete or their family don't bring something up to the media nothing else comes of it. Often those are situations where the athlete is not living up to their commitment (honor code/grades) and rather than drag someone through the mud it is left private.

Scalley/Smith said similar things as Max. Get over it.

BYU can only react to known violations. Once Teo's DUI was known it was dealt with. No matter your imaginary insight you don't know facts about when Bronco/BYU knew the facts.

Great BYU recruits this year - exciting!

• Embarrasing
    Feb. 10, 2010 2:39 p.m.

When will you crazy BYU/Utah fans admit that both programs are of the upmost quality. This bantering is a joke. I'm not from here but I'm intelligent enough to see 2 quality programs when I seen them. Kyle and Bronco are quality men and have built excellent programs. I have a 5 star recruit for a son and i would send him to either program and be happy as a peach either way. You should all try acting your age. Go Huskers.

• Hey Honor Code
    Feb. 10, 2010 4:15 p.m.

"I'd rather support a school where some students follow a set of standards and shown some decency to others than a school whose moral code for treating others and living correctly is.......slapping?"

Don't you think that the standards you mention should incluse bashing others on the internet?