Utah

Last-minute visitors fill gap in Sundance ticket sales

Comments

• liberal larry
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:44 a.m.

Thank heaven for all of those urban, liberal, elites, who come to Utah and spend their hard earned cash, on food, accommodations, movies etc.. We owe our progressive, environmentalist, Mr. Redford a huge "thanks".

• Urban Salt Laker
    Jan. 30, 2010 12:23 p.m.

That's right, Liberal Larry. At least for a month out of the year, I have people I can hang out with in Utah.

• Curmudgeon
    Jan. 30, 2010 6:32 p.m.

I'm thinking the locals who are filling the gaps
    would spend their money somewhere else in the state
    anyway so might not be adding a whole lot. Just saying!

• Good news
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:08 p.m.

Sundance is a great experience. I've lived in the Park City area for a few years now, and it's really a fun time for everyone. You get to meet people from all over and be part of something that you couldn't experience anywhere else. The excitement of Sundance is in the directors for whom it's their first film at the festival, and they are so happy to be there. It's a truly unique experience, and it's wonderful to hear that things are looking up this year. And, yes, even for a political middle-of-the-road LDS individual such as myself it's a good time.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:18 p.m.

It was years of seeing ugly development in Park City, Utah that made me see what a gem Ouray Colorado was.

• Why in January?
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:50 p.m.

I would attend more Sundance events except that nearly every time, it's a major blizzard getting down the canyon from Park City. Why not have Sundance in March or April when he weather is more cooperative? Jan. is already prime time for skiers, but the resorts don't get the business because the town is crowded for the film fest. If Sundance were held in the spring or even the fall, it would extend the resorts' season longer, and it would be more pleasant weather-wise. But it's not worth risking your life on an unplowed freeway with dozens of cars sliding off the road, just to attend a movie or walk around Main St.