Opinion

In our opinion: Viva El Observador!

Comments

• sdarwinj
    Jan. 30, 2010 6:50 a.m.

Esto es fantastico! Hay muchos que leeran este periodico.

• Paul
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:34 a.m.

I'm not sure why Spanish speakers need a separate forum. US Citizens should be able to speak English passably well. It seems like the only people who would benefit are people who have no need to learn English. People who have no roots here and no reason to integrate. Doesn't seem like a population that should be encouraged.

• Dumbfounded
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:47 a.m.

Boy, any questions as to why the Deseret News' editorial page is ALWAYS pro illegal immigrant on every single issue?

Hilarious. Nothing like a news organization being objective and straightforward.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:49 a.m.

I'll give it 6 months.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:50 a.m.

The D News in English is losing readers so now they are going to branch out into spanish?

Good one.

• separate but equal
    Jan. 30, 2010 9:00 a.m.

The DNews needs a logic lesson. We do not bring people closer together by catering to their differences.

The publication of this paper is just another step in the LDS Church's "don't ask, don't tell" policy toward illegals, and is, frankly, disappointing. There was a time when the Church and the DNews were promoting integration and assimilation, in the true spirit of our national motto - Out of Many, One. They at one time encouraged becoming quickly proficient in English and learning how to function in mainstream American society. Now they openly embrace balkanization and a separate but equal approach to dealing with illegal Latinos.

This new publication is not something to be cheered. It does not join us together but instead is one more thing to keep us apart. DNews gauzy assertions aside, this will do great harm to our state.

• Invisible Hand
    Jan. 30, 2010 9:26 a.m.

This will be an interesting experiment. News organizations are in business to make money. If there's a market for a Spanish language newspaper, then more power to them. It's called free enterprise.

• JTT
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:08 a.m.

People and organizations who tend to benefit financially from illegal immigration and the 2-part society that has been built from it always "embrace" the "Hispanicization" of our society. They try to tell the rest of us what a benefit it is to embrace the Spanish speaking culture rather than try to help them embrace our English-speaking culture.

Come to the west side of SLC, and I will show you how it hurts society. None of you elitists that made this decision probably live in Glendale, etc.

This is extremely disappointing. It simply emphasizes our differences, not uniting our various cultures. It turns us into a 2-part culture, with all the various problems that does/will entail.

My support of the Deseret News will go down because of this. I won't be renewing my subscription nor will I use your web site as often.

I doubt this post will show up because of your spineless ability to embrace differing opinions that won't benefit you financially.

• Give me a break
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:24 a.m.

If I am in Mexico I expect to speak spanish, if I am in Japan I expect to speak japanese Etc. If I am in the United States I expect to speak english. Wasn't it just a short time ago that English was chosen as the official language of the United States? Spanish persons already have many outlets to turn to if they want to state their opinions or get information the cable and satelite companies have many channels for spanish speaking people already. Do you think Mexico will facilitate english language t.v. or newspapers in their country? How absurd !! How many atm's in other countries give you a choice of which language you want to use? If you live in the United States you should know how to speak english. How many classified ads for jobs that say must read and write english are there? Get real people and quit trying to placate everyone.

• JTT
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:27 a.m.

Might I also mention that I work in the computer industry and work along side many immigrants from India. They speak English and respect our culture. And we all benefit from it. That is what we should embrace.

• Could be a great bridge
    Jan. 30, 2010 10:42 a.m.

to our US culture for Latinos if done right! I work with many Spanish speakers and what they need MOST is to learn English. This benefits them the VERY most - and they need encouragement and opportunities to learn.

Suggestion to the editor: print one column each time you publish that is in Spanish AND English. Challenge your readers to read it in Spanish and then in English. Then at the end, ask some comprehension questions in both languages, and make it a game to see if the reader can answer in English.

At the end of this column EVERY PUBLICATION - list the places and times of free English classes all over the valley. They happen every day - we teach them 3 days/week at our public charter school and everyone is welcome!

Please use this newspaper to encourage and help our Spanish speaking citizens to LEARN ENGLISH for their own sake - so they can get better jobs, and start speaking English in their homes which will help their children to succeed in school.

Carolyn Sharette - Director American Preparatory Academy and The School for New Americans in West Valley City.

• Lew Jeppson
    Jan. 30, 2010 11:26 a.m.

I have no problem at all with this new media outlet. What would really be neat, however, would be for it to have an independent voice, distinct from the Republican lockstep of its management. Ain't gonna happen, though. Too bad.

• Compassion Please!
    Jan. 30, 2010 12:38 p.m.

I expected the comments from the racist overboard illegal fringe groups. It's a business decision plain and simple! Even grocery stores and advertisers have caught on that the Latino segment is a large group of consumers in the US. I know several languages and have no problem with people speaking other than English. The "speak American, your in America" nonsense is ridiculous. I regularly pick up our local "Spanish newspapers" and read them. Many of them are tools for Spanish speakers to learn English! There are columns on speaking English with lessons. They are not some conspiracy paper. It might surprise you anti-illegals but with our down economy many of those folks left the US two years ago. Also, not everyone who speaks English and has brown skin is illegal!

• Recently Retired
    Jan. 30, 2010 1:12 p.m.

Wow, some of the people is this State are very close minded. I welcome the spanish edition of the news. Having worked in law enforcement for more than 20 years before I retired and now continuing to serve the public in my new profession, I wish I could speak spanish. I have tried over the years to learn on my own. I have developed the ability to get and give basic information and can hold brief conversations in spanish but I wish I could do more. I have to wonder if any of you who demand they learn english ever take the time to enjoy the culture at a mexican resturant? Do they make you speak spanish in order to eat there? How silly it is that we expect them to abandon their culture when they move here.

I do agree that they could beifit from english as a second language but I could surely benifit from spanish as second language as well. I have spanish speaking neighbors that live next to me and down the street from me. I enjoy talking with them and having them help me learn to speak their language.

Please open your minds!

• JTT
    Jan. 30, 2010 1:26 p.m.

Why is it that those who want English spoken are racists? But those who DON'T want to embrace English are not racists?

Spare the racists comments, please. They don't contribute useful discussion and only incite anger. Also, spare us the compassion-less accusations also. Personally, I think that helping people to embrace English is the most compassion-filled agenda there is. Both sides have arguments for compassion. By the way, I am multi-lingual myself.

hmmm.... agendas agendas.

• Re: Recently Retired
    Jan. 30, 2010 5:02 p.m.

Well put and good for you. If we could have more objective minds like yours in this State, we would all be translated by now.

I understand the bitterness of citizens with those people who are here illegaly but come on people, this is just a newspaper. What is the harm in that? If you don't speak the languange, then just don't buy or read the newspaper. I don't speak any other language but English and I intent on reading the English speaking newspapers out there and no harms done to my intellectual faculties.

• Free Market
    Jan. 30, 2010 6:03 p.m.

I thought the Deseret News was a privately-owned newspaper and could do whatever they want, as long as it is legal. Why do you people care if they publish a Spanish edition? If you don't want to read it, then don't read it. Let the market decide if it is a good move. Isn't that the conservative way that most of you drone on and one about?

• @Thanks give me a Break!
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:21 p.m.

I was born American have Spanish Ancestors.
    Speak American&Spanish.And Im proud of my Culture)

• Everyone is Equal have One Heart
    Jan. 30, 2010 7:29 p.m.

Let them learn more Good for them!!
    And The Broken English Would be more easier to Understand.

If they are not From America they should LEARN How to Pronounce Our English Vocabulary-

• English papers in LatinAm
    Jan. 30, 2010 8:02 p.m.

There are English newspapers all over Latin America and newspapers all over the world. A strong belief in the rule of law is no excuse for treating people as sub-human beings. Many Hispanics are here legally. The unavoidable, real life situation is that these people, illegal or not are here. Most all want to learn English. Not all are capable of learning English right away or at all.This paper will provide them with a humane outreach of basic information. It will likely benefit all our community in bring understanding between cultures.

• A half-Mexican,half-Dane/English
    Jan. 30, 2010 9:14 p.m.

I am half white and half-Mexican. I sometimes get looks from people in Utah who wonder what kind of race I have. I find this a little funny and don't really care all that much. What does bother me is the resentful attitudes and (yes, it is true) racially biased beliefs of some caucasian portions of the Utah populace are a sad manifestation of reality. That is, racism is rampant. Yes, I agree illegals have broken the law and should be deported through calm and humane means. However, a witch-hunt is never warranted. This Spanish newspaper will do no harm, and I don't see why some people in Utah get all fussy about it.

• U.S. Citizens
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:33 a.m.

and I say CITIZENS, not illegal immigrants, are REQUIRED to speak, read, and understand English. It is part of the swearing-in process of becoming an American citizen. If this new newspaper is going to last, it will need someone to buy it, and that isn't going to happen. I don't think that English ever has been determined to be our national, legal language, but it ought to be. English is the language of BUSINESS. Everyone who is a mover and shaker in the business world speaks ENGLISH - not Spanish. In Japan, English is a REQUIRED language course in elementary schools. Take a lesson.

• Not if thet were Born USCitizen
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:47 a.m.

Not everyone is illegal and living here
    Its a reading and speaking great source to learn more of USA VOLCABULARY and to those (BILINGUAL)

• Not if they were Born USCitizen
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:49 a.m.

Not everyone is illegal
    Everyone has differnt skin color = One Heart!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:56 a.m.

I "Speak American". I love it.

• ENGLISH is the official language
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:06 p.m.

of UTAH as of 2000. THE official language. It is also the official language of Wyoming (1996), Arizona (2006), California (1986), Colorado (1988), Idaho (2007), and Montana (1995). That's just in the west. Now the sad part is that in CA official state documents also are printed in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Persian, Russian, Vietnamese, and Thai. What is the cost of all these publications? Well, we know that CA's state budget has been in the red so badly that state checks bounced! Canada has 2 official languages: English and French. And the country has been almost torn apart because of it. Quebec wants to be its own nation. Let's make English the official language of the U.S. before we come to another civil war.

• not everyone stayed in school
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:06 p.m.

This can give others a chance to understand the basic American Language of nouns so far..

Im all for this Newpaper and those that need to learn more!

• Not become NarrowMinded
    Jan. 31, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Stay Bilingual

• Down with bigotry
    Jan. 31, 2010 3:15 p.m.

It's a sad thing to see descendant of immigrants refer to the so new immigrants with disdain. Study American History in order to understand your roots. You might be surprise that many of you are descendants not of Natives from this land but from other countries across the sea. They worked hard and many died so you could benefit from the fruits of their labor. They too were treated as you treat others- What a concept! A Spanish paper would allowed those who do not speak the language to stay connected to a community who enjoys the fruits of they labor without embracing the richness of other cultures, customs and skills. Like you they pay taxes and many are not able to claim it because they do not understand the language. I do not know about you but there is plenty research backing the point that learning another language helps you learn your native one. The more languages the merrier because we would be able to communicate with others in an equal manner. Instead of fear, embrace it and honor those who died so you could have a better life and they do nowadays.May peace be with you

• Spanish newspapers are for
    Jan. 31, 2010 4:15 p.m.

those who refuse to embrace the majority of those who live in this country. Stop forcing other cultures down our throats. If German, Polish, Irish, Italian, and others can learn English and not insist on their own newspapers, so can Spanish. United we stand, divided we fall.

• We The People Rock!
    Jan. 31, 2010 6:06 p.m.

EVERY ONE IS EQUAL

• rice and beans
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:16 p.m.

I love their food; therefore bring the entire culture here. You take all of the Spanish speaking world and put it up against the USA, and I would bet the Spanish speaking world is more into reading, poetry, literature and conversation and art. God loves any people who believe in having kids and raising them. Because the Latin world has had a difficult 500 years, they produce better literature, art and believe in humor. We from USA may be too serious and need more culture.

• Resides in East Side Los Angelas
    Jan. 31, 2010 9:47 p.m.

I praise the Latin people of today.Learning more to the words we use.
    Like my kids use to say and granchildren say stay proud.
    From where Are Ancestors came from Stay Bilingual as well a second language is best*

• Ron
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:47 p.m.

I’m saddened by what I view as uneducated, narrow-minded, bigotry in this forum. The foolishness of many of your contentions doesn’t even merit response.

Yes, we have the right and responsibility to control our borders, manage the immigration flow, and take care of our own citizens first.

That said, the way many of you assert those rights is laced with hatred. At least that’s how it’s perceived. As a result, your message loses its effectiveness.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:50 p.m.

This new Spanish-language newspaper is a business. If it doesn’t achieve sustained profitability, at some point it will fold. Regardless the noble intentions of its drivers to give voice to the Hispanic community.

Similarly, many of you own or work for businesses. Similarly, if your places of business can’t remain solvent, they too will fold.

So now you have a choice. Do you reach out to what is now a very large segment of our population, the Hispanic community, and try to win their patronage? Because, like it or not, they’re here.

Or, on principle, do you say, “We will not accommodate you!” “You are in OUR country, so if you want to do business with us, learn OUR language!” “We will not anticipate your needs or try to communicate with you in a way that’s comfortable for you!” “Take your business elsewhere!”

Rest assured, that’s exactly what they’ll do. And more and more, they do have choices. You may not want their business, but I promise you that your competitor does.

• Willie D.
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:54 p.m.

This is great! I am so thrilled to know there is something out there for this awesome community. The hispanic community has a lot to teach us. (gringos) They do need a newspaper in their own language that is more mainstream. To those people that think those that speak Spanish need to learn to speak English, you are right! However I think we all can be more accepting, kind and generous. I challenge those opposing this newspaper to volunteer to teach free English classes. I think we could see some amazing things happen.

• Im All for the Bilingual People
    Jan. 31, 2010 10:59 p.m.

Say what you want there proud!
    We all got other Languages
    to Speak thats great news..

• @ I just read this and I agree
    Jan. 31, 2010 11:12 p.m.

Some positive comments and so on.The point is thats its wonderful to know more english for others who can not speak well!

• Hey Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:35 a.m.

Air America was the same way - look where it's at now.

• Hispanics not stupid
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:13 a.m.

The very LAST thing DesNews should do is to listen to the din created by haters and well-meaning bigots regarding what this newspaper's message should or should not be, or how that message should be presented.

DesNews should do what businesses do -- make money. It will do so if it caters to a need not otherwise met in the community.

Hispanics, legal or otherwise, will do what's best for them. If the newspaper meets a need, they'll buy it and patronize its advertisers. Otherwise, they won't. They don't need a heard of braying bozos to tell them whether they should learn English or read Spanish.

Too large a percentage of the commenters here have nothing whatever to say regarding a Spanish-language newspaper -- they just use this, and any other forum available, to vent their bigoted bile.

If El Observador does nothing else, it will at least provide a refuge from their incessant and annoying whine.

• The Free Market
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:49 p.m.

Some people point out that in other countries they expect to speak the local language. While that is always beneficial to relying on the kindness of polyglot strangers, in many places in the world, you can get around while only speaking English. The reason is that there is enough of a demand for English-speaking services in these places to make it a good business move to work in the language.

It's the same here. If you can make money by offering a service in a particular language, whether that be Spanish, Chinese, or Esperanto, then you should do it.

As for the "Official Language" point: having an official language only applies to the government. The 2000 amendment doesn't prevent private businesses from working in any language that they choose. Even in Canada, only some things have to be bilingual, and that varies by region (e.g. most product packaging is bilingual but most road signs are not). Now, if the state legislature wanted to publish a Spanish language newsletter, then we'd have a problem.

• GWB
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:32 p.m.

The conservative mind is an interesting thing.

They preach about the free market and that the free market should be left alone to do what it will.

Then along comes the Des News, the conservative papr in Salt Lake, and explores the free market options to increase circulation by launching a spanish language newspaper.

From the comments here, on thing appears to stand out, the conservatives in Utah hate brown skinned spanish speaking immigrants more than they like the free market!!!

Come on, be consistent people, you either like the free market or you don't.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Suave! That's really cool that something like this is happening. You know this will also help those of us who are trying to learn Spanish also. ;)

• All Knowing
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:15 p.m.

"Next month, Deseret Management Corp. (which includes the Deseret News) will roll out a new Spanish-language newspaper."

You nitwits!!! This is America where English is the official language. Quit kowtowing to foreigners who are infiltrating and trying to take over. We already have a dozen or more Spanish cable TV stations which I have to pay for and don't understand a word of what's going on.

• Sam the Ham
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:40 p.m.

I went to a taco fast food today for a bite of lunch. All employees (six) were Spanish and were loudly chit-chatting in Spanish with each other and some obviously Spanish customers.

The Spanish DNews, as with with this taco store drives a wedge.

• re -- Give me a break 10:24 am
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:51 p.m.

["If I am in Mexico I expect to speak spanish, if I am in Japan I expect to speak japanese Etc. If I am in the United States I expect to speak english."]

do you speak japanese? do you speak spanish? what you said is ridiculous. If you are in japan, you will still speak english - and you'll hope that someone will be kind enough to help you even though you don't speak their language.

here, people act like everyone should speak english. that's just stupid.

i bet Utah doesn't get many international visitors. and you know why? because you all are so rude, you'd send them away and tell them to learn english, rather than just trying to figure out what they need and helping them.

for a supposed good country, we are probably the rudest people on the planet. and you all call yourselves christians?

pathetic.

• Freddie
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:58 p.m.

@Willie D.10:54p.m.:

"If you can make money by offering a service in a particular language, whether that be Spanish, Chinese, or Esperanto, then you should do it."

I notice that San Francisco's China Town has its own new paper... which stymies integration and encourages racism.

• re -- Sam the Ham | 3:40 p.m
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:58 p.m.

["I felt uncomfortable. Was I in Mexico? I will hesitate going back. It is inconsiderate to speak Spanish in the presence of non-Spanish."]

well that's about the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. did you get some tacos? did they give you a hard time for not speaking spanish, or did they work with you to figure out what you needed and help you order? were the tacos good?

you all are a bunch of whiners. so what if people speak a different language? i bet the tacos were 10x better than taco bell. you want poor commercial american/mexican food? go to taco bell. you want real good mexican food? then buy it from people that speak spanish. you can't have it both ways.

what is wrong with you people? you all are language bigots... you don't mind speaking english around non-english speakers, but heaven forbid someone speak a foreign language around you... and that made you nervous? why - did you think you were in some kind of danger? did they hit you with a wild chili or stray tortilla? lol

I suggest you stick to ham, sam.

• wrz
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:08 p.m.

@Anonymous10:50p.m.

"Do you reach out to what is now a very large segment of our population, the Hispanic community, and try to win their patronage? Because, like it or not, they’re here."

With continued foreigner (Spanish) influx, you will eventually need to search for an English news paper.

• A Man's Perspective
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:36 p.m.

I am a full supporter of the free market. But while the Spanish version of the Deseret News might be a result of the free market, that does not negate the fact that it appears to be a move that further divides the Spanish culture from the English-speaking culture in Utah, and that hurts the Spanish-speaking people.

Our two-language society now has schools doing plays in Spanish, and school teachers and administrators teaching in Spanish, etc. This all leads to a less-educated Hispanic population, as difficult as it is to admit that. That is NOT good for the Spanish-speaking culture. Without perfect English skills, they will continue to be on the bottom of the pay scale, and will find it more difficult to move out of poverty, get accepted to the best universities, etc.

Why? Because of the free market. The best-paying jobs want perfect English skills. The best universities teach in English. So while the free market is why this El Observador exists, it is the free market that will hurt these people if they don't FULLY embrace English.

Don't cry racism. It's the free market people.

• GWB
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:05 p.m.

Apparently, no Conservative is willing to post in defense of the free market...

I guess that they only care about the free market when it supports their bias.

• Sam the Ham
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:20 p.m.

@re -- Sam the Ham 3:40p.m 3:58p.m.:

"what is wrong with you people? you don't mind speaking English around non-English speakers..."

I only know English. I've lived only in America... an English speaking country.

"...but heaven forbid someone speak a foreign language around you... did you think you were in some kind of danger?"

Speaking a foreign language around those who don't understand is offensive.

• Sounds like a Repeated Record
    Feb. 2, 2010 2:26 a.m.

Long Live UnitedStates of America=Baja California
    Gulf Coast of Mexico never forget where you came.Understand words of ENGLISH & Stay {Bilingual}

• re -- Sam the Ham | 9:20 p.m
    Feb. 2, 2010 10:02 a.m.

["I only know English. I've lived only in America... an English speaking country."]

then that's your problem, not the spanish speaker's problem. if you or they don't spoeak the same language, are you so lame you can't communicate at all? and are you afraid of people simply because they don't speak your language? sad...

["Speaking a foreign language around those who don't understand is offensive."]

what? how so? were they pointing at you and laughing, or speaking to each other? it's only offensive to you, not to regular people...

here's the problem with all you "english-only" people. you simply have not been around enough cultures. and for some reason they scare you or something. i'm from LA and half the people here only speak spanish. but we communicate ok. and they are some of the nicest most helpful people you will ever meet. the main difference is that if you need help, they will figure out a way to communicate and help you. if they need help, you will say "speak english" and turn your back on them.

so who's the christians and who's not?

• Laura
    Feb. 2, 2010 11:47 a.m.

We need to learn how to coexist.

It is poor logic to defend your way of being without considering the position of others. Anyone who has made an "English only" comment and never reached a level of fluency in a language other than English has no ground to stand on.

Also those who have learned a new language and have never spent any amount of time in a different culture having to speak it daily are similarly unqualified.

The vulnerability of being outside of your own cultural shell would drive anyone to seek the comfort of their own language, people of their own nationality, the food they have eaten since childhood and tastes familiar.
    It is not a rejection of our culture, as many are suggesting, but a way to exist day to day. I would also say that it is very difficult to live in a culture and not absorb it.

I don't see how anyone can argue against something as important and valid as a newspaper. Keeping people in the dark as to what's going on around them won't make them want to learn English any faster.

• Cool Arrow
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:13 p.m.

Give me a break, have you ever been outside the country, particularly to Mexico? There are English-language papers there; ATMs do give you a choice of language, sooooo. And that happens the world over. Get a passport. Perhaps you should stop spewing ignorant statements when you don't know what you are talking about.

As a Mexican immigrant, I've assimilated quite well and am willing to bet I speak better English than half of you here, but I digress. I read in English and Spanish, so I am excited about this newspaper. If you don't like it, don't read it. But please, keep your ridiculous blanket statements to yourself.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:20 p.m.

Maybe instead of promoting people to not speak English, it's promoting English Speakers to try to learn Spanish, not to communicate with Latinos, but to enrich their minds to learn something new. Many of you commenters are very closed minded.

• Ana Banana
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:30 p.m.

I made a decision that when I had children they would have access to every opportunity that would make them not just good citizens, but GLOBAL citizens.

What a gift it is to have the ability to speak multiple languages, to be expressive not just in language but through art, music, food and culture. It is unfortunate that in a state that has so many young men and women traveling all over the world, and with a history mixed with diversity from early settlers, to the development of mining, railroads, and agriculture, we still deny that it is the same diversity that has made Utah what it is.

The Latino community contributes billions of dollars to our economy (Do your research), why should there not be a Spanish-language publication? it is amazing how deep racism runs in our state, and although I am not LDS I commend the church for committing to being a GLOBAL & accepting church, and for opening the doors of much needed communication.

We should all learn to speak the language of understanding.

• Sam A.
    Feb. 3, 2010 5:49 a.m.

Speaking spanish is not the issue. Illegal immigration and crime IS the issue. The more Utah caters to illegals and gives support to them the bigger the problem will become. Now is the time for the legislature to stop illegal aliens from coming to Utah and deporting those that are here. The window of opportunity is closing, fast.

• Judges &Lawyers R` Bilingual
    Feb. 3, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Thats a Good Choice!
    And for those that are having
    a hard time to say the words in correct English.

• Conservative WM (Native)
    Feb. 10, 2010 10:24 p.m.

For the love of Pete!..... is it really so threatening to have a paper in Spanish, or is this just another chance for those so inclined to make associations and take swipes at their pet hatreds. I doubt many of the bigots attempting to incite a riot on this forum have collectively bought more than a hand-full of papers in the last decade, and this "America speak English" blather is as thin as "English only" legislation is embarrassing. Normally, I would just click away from this buffoonery, but for the ones who could benefit from this advice, two things;
    1."Never argue with a fool, lest someone not be able to tell the difference"
    2. There are some things in life that are beneath contempt.

• Surprised and Concerned
    Feb. 11, 2010 4:22 p.m.

Why is it that those of us who are blessed enough to live in America are so ignorant and shallow? Being open-minded helps us to grow. Our country is an "immigrant country". There isn't a single one of us who doesn't have an immigrant ancestor. Props to the Spanish-speaking people who can keep in touch with their language. It's pathetic that we discourage kids/people from Spanish-speaking families to read and write "English" only. What's wrong with giving them the chance to read both? Those who want to learn English will learn it with or without a Spanish newspaper...its publication changes nothing but rather encourages literacy!

• A Latinas Perspective
    Feb. 24, 2010 10:10 a.m.

Congratulations to D News for the launch of El Observador. I was born in the U.S. and spoke Spanish at home with my immigrant parents and siblings. I love the opportunity to read in Spanish and continue to sharpen my first language skills. I assume that Spanish learners will also appreciate reading the paper and maintaining their reading skills. Knowing two languages is a skill, a blessing and just another way of experiencing the world. Thank you D News!

• airzap
    June 22, 2010 6:48 p.m.

Welcome to our legal brothers and sisters and please don't give up on your dreams to become an American citizen.

I apologize for your American Brothers and sisters here that, under the pretense of helping make it easier for you to acclimatize yourselves to this new life, have instead drawn out the time it will take you to become fluent or even comfortable with your new language.

The fact is immersion is the fastest and most effecient way to learn a new language, and unless you are here to change this country into the one you just left, immersion is what you will need.