Utah

The blogger mom — Salt Lake woman's Web rants from home draw raves and revenue

Comments

• JP
    April 15, 2008 8:59 a.m.

Wow, sounds like she has quite a popular blog - I guess you could say she's blopular!

• TechHerding.com
    April 15, 2008 9:42 a.m.

I must have 200 blogs in my reader list, and when I see a new post from Dooce I click on it immediately.

There's no finer endorsement in blog-land.

Heather somehow combines opinion, personal information, images, whimsy and insight into something that really connects with me.

To be accurate, she's not 59 out of 1000. She's 59 out of an estimated 79 MILLION blogs in the world.

Whoo Hoo!

• Peggy
    April 15, 2008 9:51 a.m.

I think Heather is fantastic. Hers is the first website I check everyday. I admire her blogging, and would miss her if she decided to stop, even though I would certainly understand her need for a "regular life".

• beckkl
    April 15, 2008 9:47 a.m.

I wouldn't say they are all women. I read it. 29yr old married male.

• Beachgal
    April 15, 2008 9:52 a.m.

Awesome article! Very cool.

• Marie
    April 15, 2008 11:12 a.m.

Aren't those pics behind you supposed to be vertical? Just kidding. :)

• Allison
    April 15, 2008 12:16 p.m.

Heather,I love your blog. It is the only one that I read everyday. Thanks for all the entertainment. Somedays you are the only one who can make me laugh.

• Sarah
    April 15, 2008 1:26 p.m.

WOW, I am SO glad you stuck with it too Heather!

• Kristine
    April 15, 2008 2:06 p.m.

Way to go Heather. You keep it real and I appreciate the realness you write about. Your blog rocks. Keep up the great work.

• Lyndsey
    April 15, 2008 2:15 p.m.

Heather is positively brillant!

• Devra
    April 15, 2008 3:22 p.m.

Heather is amazing. I am proud to be living in the same state as her. I hope she does some local events so that she can share her brilliance with all of us. Frankly, I would love to see her speak and know many many more would like to as well. I have the perfect venue for it if she is interested, and reads this comment, I would be happy to help make it happen.

• R
    April 15, 2008 4:08 p.m.

Love the blog and the pics!

• Christopher
    April 15, 2008 11:25 p.m.

She's bomb diggity.

• Jim Brodhead
    April 16, 2008 5:41 a.m.

I follow Heather's blog through Bloglines and just on that service, as of this morning she has 7,400 subscribers. In the blog world that is beyond huge. For just one subscription service? Please!

Why does she have that? Because she is brilliant and most importantly she is honest. One can blog all day about their personal life but if the reader doesn't feel the posts are genuine then no connection happens. When we are fortunate enough to have her leave comments open, the count on them will go to several hundred in a matter of a couple of hours. Comments are what feeds me as a blogger and I should be so good as to be able to generate that kind of response. Read Dooce, you'll be glad you did.

• Kevin
    April 16, 2008 11:11 a.m.

I think you gotta give Chuck his due, too. He's a rock-solid sidekick.

• Shelly
    April 16, 2008 1:20 p.m.

I just stumbled across her blog one day.. and I go back every day to read.. She is just a great Writer no matter what the subject ..

I also pre-ordered the book of essays she edited cant wait to get it in may!

• Nickolle
    April 16, 2008 4:13 p.m.

I gotta have my Dooce! CANNOT live without it!

• LunaChickNYC
    April 17, 2008 9:31 a.m.

I have to start every day with my dooce and Daily Chuck. She is the blogger everyone who puts text to screen wants to be

• Cyn2much
    April 18, 2008 11:54 a.m.

Each morning, I work my way through a bunch of blogs. But Dooce? I save her for last. She is my dessert!

• Jessica
    April 18, 2008 12:02 p.m.

I stumbled across Dooce.com one day, about six months ago, when I was looking for a platform to use for my own blog. I have gone back every day since. At first I thought it was a little odd to be following the life of a total stranger, but I am glad to see I am not the only one. :) Thanks, Heather!

• Sarah
    April 18, 2008 12:05 p.m.

Dooce is wonderful!

• Mommy on the Edge
    April 18, 2008 12:13 p.m.

I love starting my day with Dooce! She's my inspiration to keep blogging.

• Lisa
    April 18, 2008 12:21 p.m.

She really is the best, though. There isn't a single other blog that I enjoy as much as hers. I wish we knew each other in real life because she's pretty much the coolest person I "know"

• Susan
    April 18, 2008 12:26 p.m.

Dooce is my favorite too...both she and Pioneer Woman are stellar.

• Heather
    April 18, 2008 12:36 p.m.

I am a total dooce addict. If I could only look at one web page per day it would be hers. She's totally deserving of all the props.

• Ryan
    April 18, 2008 12:35 p.m.

I've been reading Dooce for about 7 years now and absolutely love it. FWIW - 31yo married male.

• Enter Name
    April 18, 2008 12:36 p.m.

• Maureen
    April 18, 2008 12:40 p.m.

That would be me, refreshing obsessively...WHERE IS TODAY'S ENTRY??

There it is!

I'm glad you run over the hater's mail Heather. They are ALL sooo jealous of you.

I am so happy for (both) of your success!

• Amanda
    April 18, 2008 12:47 p.m.

Chuck for President!

• Adam
    April 18, 2008 12:50 p.m.

I'm a 26 yo married man and I read her stuff religiously. Her honesty and humor transcends social boundaries.

• Charissa
    April 18, 2008 12:56 p.m.

I am an under 30, no kids, no pets, Canadian gal and yet I relate to Dooce like one of my good friends. Plus? She's so hot!

• Alison
    April 18, 2008 1:03 p.m.

Heather, I hope you come read these comments.

You are my idol in every way, and I am not even kidding. Thanks for doing what you do.

• Sue
    April 18, 2008 1:06 p.m.

What the heck are you talking about No Name Person?

"I don't know what's so neat about them. They are poster children for bad parenting."

Obviously you don't read her blog or you would think otherwise.

• Patricia
    April 18, 2008 1:09 p.m.

Heather, long time reader and admirer. But I have to say this to you. And this might be hard for you to hear.

You must switch those pictures around.

It just doesn't look right.

• Tara
    April 18, 2008 1:16 p.m.

Those page view stats don't even take into account all of the readers, like me, who read her in an RSS reader without visiting the site very often.

Heather is a treat, and I'm glad she pushes through the days when she feels like she wants her life back. (Also glad she has learned deal with the awful -- and totally bizarre -- hate mail.) We certainly don't deserve all the access she has granted us, which is why I really appreciate her bravery, humor and honesty.

• Cloudy
    April 18, 2008 1:23 p.m.

Yay for DOOCE!

• Abbie
    April 18, 2008 1:35 p.m.

I read Heather's blog daily, if not more so! Her writing is some of the best and most entertaining of any blogs I've come across, and her photography is beautiful. Dooce.com is an excellent example of what personal blogs can become.

• Liz
    April 18, 2008 1:36 p.m.

Dooce is my hero. It's so nice to hear that somebody else swears about life as much as I do.

• DH
    April 18, 2008 1:50 p.m.

I've read her on and off for over four years. There have been a few times when I've felt that her profanity and/or sometimes "out there" subject matter were in poor taste and those times I've removed her from my Bloglines account. You know what? I always come back. She really is a very talented writer and there's just *something* about her writing that is addictive.

• Angie
    April 18, 2008 1:52 p.m.

I know I'm going to say the same thing that others have, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dooce. My husband and I read her blog daily.

• manda
    April 18, 2008 1:53 p.m.

I have read Dooce every day since my daughter was born, about 6 weeks after her daughter, Leta, was born. She kept me sane through thoe first few haze-filled months and I love her for it! I'm so glad she is getting the recognition she deserves. My husband is sick of all of the "Dooce-References" I cite, but I don't care. I'll quote my favorite movie and Dooce in the same sentence if I want to!

• Michelle from MA
    April 18, 2008 2:16 p.m.

I have been reading Dooce.com since 2001 and have the most admiration for Heather and her family. She has taken an unfortunate situation (being fired) and turned it into the best possible form of look at me now...her success.

I agree with other commenters - Chuck is an amazing support and sidekick...and I suppose Jon helps too!

• Hero of Canton
    April 18, 2008 2:43 p.m.

Glad she found something she likes doing and that people are willing to follow. I tried reading the blog today after hearing about it through this article. I found it to be shallow, pedantic and filled with one-liners that feel forced.

obtw im a mormon catholic male twice married with 3 kids a dog, cat 2 step-birds and a partridge in a pear tree.

• littleindiana
    April 18, 2008 2:47 p.m.

I love Dooce. I've been reading her blog for a little over 3 yrs. I like how she is states her mind on things. Espcially the time they were having their water pipes cleaned out & they found a beach towel in there. Cracked me up.

• Musings of a "Crazy Cat Lady"
    April 18, 2008 2:55 p.m.

I stumbled across Heather's blog a few months ago and have become an avid reader. I truly enjoy the way she adds such humor and sarcasm to every day happenings. As a personal blogger, I hope to someday become even half as successful as she has!

• Amy Silknitter from PA
    April 18, 2008 3:01 p.m.

I heart dooce.com and Heather. It is so wonderful she's opened her life in this way and I respect her as a wife, mother and writer. I've been reading her blog for about 2 years now and just adore it. I often times shed both tears of laughter and sadness while reading her daily views on her life. She can reach out and touch your heart in a way many bloggers just ALMOST DO, but don't quite get there. I heart dooce.

• Angeline
    April 18, 2008 3:19 p.m.

Heather has more guts then most mothers do when it comes to saying how they feel. I being a mother know that parenting, marriage, life is not at all easy and can be rather stressing. And is not a walk in the park like a lot of people would love to have you believe. She has guts to be herself and to not pretend to be this perfect person. I wish all mothers would stop roleplaying perfection and be themselfs but...we know that will never happen!

• Anonymous
    April 18, 2008 3:44 p.m.

LOVE DOOCE.

• soNOTcool
    April 18, 2008 3:47 p.m.

I love Dooce.com. She's #1 on my blog list.

• Patricia
    April 18, 2008 6:23 p.m.

She comes across as completely honest and addresses issues such as depression with candor. Which means, of course, that she's also educating people about matters of which they may have little experience or knowledge.
    (just for the stats - I'm far older than Dooce, am not married, and have no children. I work 8 to 5. We have totally different life styles, but I really enjoy her blog. It's a breath of fresh air.)

• Elaine G.
    April 18, 2008 8:37 p.m.

I've been reading Dooce for years. I have laughed, cried and lived through all her ups and downs. I never miss more than a day of not logging on to Dooce. Her photos are amazing. Her humor cracks me up and her little girl Leta is a delightful child that I have watched grow on a monthly basis. Her blogs have been a constant joy in my life.

• Anonymous
    April 19, 2008 4:57 a.m.

I love me some dooce! Keep up the great work, Heather. I'm happy to see you getting the praise you deserve.

PS Something looks odd about the pictures in the background but I just ... can't ... place what it is. j/k :)

• Mom in MO
    April 19, 2008 6:29 a.m.

I had never heard of this blog before. So I checked it out. Made me long for the days when our newspaper published articles by the late Erma Bombeck. If only she hadn't died before computers became so popular. Oh, and btw, I thought it was spelled "deuce".

• myla
    April 19, 2008 6:34 a.m.

Heather Armstrong is fabulous. Period.

• Jennifer
    April 19, 2008 7:59 a.m.

My friend recommended dooce.com to me last year. I've been hooked ever since!

• Stenar
    April 19, 2008 8:48 a.m.

Dooce is hilarious. I take umbrage with it being described as a "mommy" blog or parenting blog. It's a wonderfully written blog by a person who just happens to be a mother, but that's not the main point of the blog. And lots of men, myself included, read the blog.

• just wondering
    April 19, 2008 9:56 a.m.

Where do you guys find time to read her stuff? Wonderful that she is a great writer and successful, that is truly great. I am a work at home mother of 5 and barley have time to read the news. Are you guys just hanging out on the web? Like the gals in the ladies forums?
    Can't imagine being on a blog every day instead of being out in the yard, smelling the roses, planting the tomatoes, pruning the fruit trees, wiping a bum, etc. Good luck to you Heather, sounds like you have a direction in life!

• taking a duece
    April 19, 2008 10:05 a.m.

get lives.

• heather, a brilliant writer
    April 19, 2008 12:16 p.m.

Heather makes it all work because-- she understands writing. It's hard work crafting, stitching, molding words together in such a way that it tells a story, day after day, a continuous stream of commentary that builds up a world so normal yet so intricate that some 4 million readers feel as though they are part of it. I'm a 16-hour flight away from Utah, but dooce.com is my first web visit of the day - for 3 years and counting. She's the writer I aim to be =)

• TMI
    April 19, 2008 1:19 p.m.

Frankly, I think that this woman reveals things about the Church that are better left unsaid. However, I will let God judge.

• Cascade Blogger
    April 19, 2008 1:30 p.m.

I love dooce, even though I am a middleaged, childless, currently unmarried person. But I totally get it about the dogs!

• lisa
    April 19, 2008 1:36 p.m.

I read DOOCE Daily and am a big fan of her witty approach to life!
    Lisa from Woodland, CA

• Kim
    April 19, 2008 1:37 p.m.

Dooce is awesome! I love reading her posts and her writing as well as her honesty are what keep pulling people in. I can't wait for her book and hope it is a best seller.

• Archaea Cougarguard
    April 19, 2008 4:54 p.m.

TMI, I worry about you and your sort. Heather writes with considerable restraint about the Church. Not everything that happens in the Church is 100% positive. Remember, none of us is infallible. Meanwhile, don't judge the rest of us who love dooce for the lighthearted joy Heather brings.

• brooklynmama
    April 19, 2008 7:10 p.m.

I feel really sorry for her kid. She has no say on whether or not her life gets to be broadcast on the internet. It's like sharing embarrassing baby pictures and anecdotes with the entire country.

• pooce
    April 19, 2008 10:47 p.m.

Can't stand the stupid letters to her daughter. Its simply too much. Enough already.

• Sarah G
    April 19, 2008 10:56 p.m.

Heather, I've read your blog every day for the past 3 year's, and I have to admit that there have been days that only you have made me laugh. You have such a genuine quality to your writings that I feel like you're one of my close friends- I know, kinda creepy. Thank you for your humor, whit and most of all your honesty. You make my day!

• Tamara
    April 19, 2008 11:23 p.m.

Brooklynmama you obviously don't have a sense of humour or you would understand. Pooce don't like it don't read it. I love Heathers work all the way from Australia

• bob
    April 20, 2008 7:00 a.m.

To all those who have expressed there need fot
    dooce.....I say GET a Life!!!!

You probably watch TV soaps too.

• doug
    April 20, 2008 8:15 a.m.

You found your calling. Relax now. It will all come. It is like being in the zone in sports. It will just flow. Relax.

• findingmuse
    April 20, 2008 9:02 a.m.

i've been reading dooce.com off and on for a year now. she's genuine, funny, and an excellent writer. i've just read all 70+ comments left so far. i think it's important to note that the loving, supportive comments left here in this article about her (and those left on her blog) far, far outweigh whatever comments negative, judgmental, hateful people with bottom-feeder mentalities have to say about heather, how she lives her life, and what she does. that tells me that what she's doing is good and positive.

but that's what makes the internet so fascinating: people are certainly entitled to give their opinions, and so often choose to do so in nasty ways that always, always leave them looking very silly and immature (and, quite often, guilty of exactly the thing they are pointing fingers at). and so, yay! heather wins (again)!

"-D

• Groovymarlin
    April 20, 2008 11:05 a.m.

I love Dooce! Heather inspires me in every way. And despite what "pooce" said above, the letters to Leta are my favorite part of the blog. What a wonderful thing to do for your child - to write them a letter every month, so they'll be able to share the memories they were too small to remember themselves someday. And I feel honored that she shares them with her readers.

Reading Heather's blog is an important part of my day. Thank you so much, Heather.

• scouter
    April 20, 2008 5:14 p.m.

her writing is witty and entertaining. i don't have kids and even her writings about parenting are interesting because IT IS JUST GREAT WRITING! hers is actually only 1 of 3 blogs i actually make time to read. i hope she makes a million dollars a year.

• christine
    April 20, 2008 8:12 p.m.

i read dooce everyday and feel connected, inspired, and happier. she makes me laugh, she is a great writer and very witty, and she supports women and artists. love her.

• penelope
    April 20, 2008 8:20 p.m.

if i could only read one person's blog it would be heather's dooce blog. i can't get enough of it! she knows how to tell a good story.

• Reader from L.A.
    April 20, 2008 9:36 p.m.

I stumbled across the site when I Googled (verb)"hate job" 4 years ago, after quitting my job in advertising. I have been reading it every since. My husband thinks her photos of animals, children and scenery are brilliant. I go back for the writing, though. She's got this great angle on life that comes through in every post. I would call it irreverence "lite".

• Crazy You
    April 21, 2008 1:27 a.m.

I find Heather and Jon to be the poster children for WHAT not to do in life. She said she had postpartum in 2004, so how do you explain all the mean things she's said and shared about Leta up till now? Trust me you dooclings if your mother rejected you, shared all your personal shortcomings or failures you wouldn't be so happy either. When will you doocelings get a brain and think for yourselves when Leta tries to off herself from all the torture she'll receive because he mother wanted a new house and wouldn't keep quite? Nice, it takes a village to raise a child that's unless you're a blog celeb then everything is forgivable.

• Nikki
    April 21, 2008 6:13 a.m.

It's one of the only blogs I check daily. It's amusing and I envy her for her creative writing and upkeep of this blog. Go Dooce Go!

• Scott
    April 21, 2008 6:38 a.m.

FYI... 30 yr old male reading for about 3 yrs and always wanted to blog about my life too... Everyone has a story... How about an adopted Korean growing up on a farm in Pa'Tucky with Evangelicals and excommunicated for coming out?

I check daily too...
    Where else can you find a candid letter to your daughter each month you can cherish and laugh about later in life together?

She does the work for me to find interesting videos, shopping/home stuff, humor, and uplifting words to keep going.

The Chuck pictures and calendar (gotta get one).

Talking about religion and issues that come of it (good and bad).

What's so bad about that?

• Only Me
    April 21, 2008 6:42 a.m.

Dooce.com is the only blog I check daily.
    I'm disappointed when there are no new posts, but almost excited when there are.
    Keep up the great work Heather!

• Kelly
    April 21, 2008 7:13 a.m.

She is fantastic!

• JustMe
    April 21, 2008 7:14 a.m.

I've been reading dooce since just before Leta was born, and it gave me the courage to ask for extra support and observation when I had my child, since I knew I was at risk for PPD.

To those who complain about featuring Leta (brooklynmama and "Crazy You" (Crazy Us? hmmm)), what do you say to child stars in film and television? They are legally too young to choose or give consent for their appearance - should we ban child actors?

• Kevin
    April 21, 2008 7:48 a.m.

My only concern about Heather is that she likes taking shots at the church. Why can't people who leave the church leave it alone?

• The Rock
    April 21, 2008 8:41 a.m.

Thanks for the warning. I do not support profanity and will not reward anyone who uses it.

I will not ever visit her blog.

• ronilynne
    April 21, 2008 8:51 a.m.

About a year ago my sister forwarded to me the blog where Leta was taking a fit because the dog was "looking at meeeeee" and Heather said her brain popped right out of her head and bounced across the floor like a tennis ball! I've been hooked and faithful reader ever since.

• Meg
    April 21, 2008 9:20 a.m.

I can honestly say that Dooce Rocks! Heather says the things about parenting that we all think but are not willing to say out loud!

• Jennifer
    April 21, 2008 9:26 a.m.

Also take into consideration those readers like me who "ghost" her blog everyday like me. I love her blog and she is one of only a handful of writers that never seem to write a useless word. Many times I have laughed out loud. She is the world's greatest and best friend. The one who will get you drunk, clean up your tears, share hers, and hide the bodies in the morning!!!

• Sally
    April 21, 2008 9:21 a.m.

Heather's a rockstar! Also, check out Chuck's pose in the photo - he's such a pro. Dooce for president!

• donnarama
    April 21, 2008 9:33 a.m.

Excellent article - thanks for the background on this very interesting woman. Dooce and Heather are great! I've enjoyed reading this site since 2001 and simply must have my daily dose of dooce! I remember reading avidly about the life-changing event of having her baby at a time when I was hoping to have one. Then, when I got pregnant and now that I have a baby, I check back and read her archives for confirmation and comiseration. I really love her writing style - she has such a way with words, that I'm often either nodding my head or laughing out loud. Furthermore, as an expat overseas, I love reading her witty take on modern American life and feel it keeps me connected with home in a way. Heather, what you have done with your life really is an inspiration and a shining example of making the best out of tough situations. Thank you and keep it up!

• Janie
    April 21, 2008 12:33 p.m.

I've been reading Dooce for years...since she was single and wild. We've all been through her marriage, her pregnancy, her daughter Leta's young life. Prayed when Leta had problems and medical tests done, when Heather wasn't well and on and on. Her writing has made me laugh and cry, often on the same day. I've watched her little daughter grow, worried about her, laughed at her antics and I honestly love her...more personality in that kid than 6 of any others!
    Of course it is odd when you think of it...it's like one of your favorite friends and her family lives in your computer LOL. I know it will probably have to end someday and as much as I want her to be happy, it will be a very sad day for me when Heather has to take her private life back. I can't even imagine it!

• Anonymous
    April 21, 2008 1:39 p.m.

I've been reading Dooce for nearly 4 years... LOVE it. Glad she's doing so well so I can keep reading.

• Linda
    April 21, 2008 2:34 p.m.

I read Heather every day and of course I follow the antics of Chuck and Coco religiously. But, I really look forward to her monthly 'Love Letters' to her daughter Leta. They tug at my heart strings and make me wish I had done the same for my 2 children. It's a wonderful way for Leta to know her mother !!

Heather , thank you for letting us share your life.

• This is it?
    April 21, 2008 5:18 p.m.

Just looked at the blog. Her bio was enough for me. The people that read this crap must be the same crowd that thinks Paris Hilton is a good role model.

• Hmmm
    April 21, 2008 5:36 p.m.

I fail to see what there is to admire about her. I can't believe people look up to her as a role model for wives and mothers. My wife is a much better role model and is smart enough to express herself without degrading language. I guess some people think that is clever though. Must be the same crowd that thinks Paris Hilton is a good role model for our daughers.

• hbj
    April 21, 2008 6:31 p.m.

She's the only stranger on my family list. (Can you call someone like Heather a stranger?)

• Chloe
    April 21, 2008 9:36 p.m.

"I bet most of the readers of this particular blog are women. I visit lots of blogs about important subjects."
    Wow. How incredibly sexist. Your implication is that women don't read blogs about "important stuff"? We just go for the trivia, apparently.
    I'm a 25 year old single female with no children. I read cnn every day-- notice that's real news, not blogger-spin-news, and check dooce at least every couple of days. I greatly enjoy her profanity, honesty, and fresh take on motherhood. And I love Chuck and Leta.

• Sick
    April 21, 2008 11:20 p.m.

She is a very sick woman, as most people are, she makes a living at it. She is waking up to the fact that just because she's pretty doesn't mean she is not going to suffer just like everyone else. She couldn't make it through child birth without falling apart, now she thinks the world owes her a living for her disgusting few of life. Next time you admire someone for there looks, think of her and be thankful your not headed for the same delusional state she has reached. It can get alot worse just watch.

• Angie
    April 22, 2008 12:49 a.m.

Dear "Sick"
    their, you're, a lot. disgusting few of life?
    i think you meant disgusting VIEW of life.
    if you're going to write negative emails about people,
    (especially the person named 59th blogger on the internet)
    you should at least make sure everything is spelled correctly.
    i think heather is great. her blog is true to life and i read it everyday.
    if you don't like it, don't read it.

• from the uk
    April 22, 2008 2:50 a.m.

i have been following the blog for about 4 years now and heather has always been a delight to read. she obviously has a writing skill and not everything has to sound as if it has been written by an oxford don. she is real, honest and certainly been a light in my darkness more than once.

• Ro
    April 22, 2008 6:16 a.m.

I have been reading Dooce for almost a year. She is hilarious, insightful, real, down-to-Earth, and a wonderful mother. It is obvious that Leta is her heart and soul. So shame on you, No Name, for saying she's a bad mother. What do you know?

We love you, Heather.

• Kimberly
    April 22, 2008 10:37 a.m.

Dooce is real and that's what makes her great. She reminds me a lot of my friends and me. Love her blog.

• Amber
    April 22, 2008 2:36 p.m.

I have been reading Heather's blog since shortly after she was fired from her job in 2001. She has been an inspiration to me over the years and always hilarious, poignant, and real. Go Heather!

• Mariah
    April 23, 2008 11:24 a.m.

Love this blog. Whenever I make the pilgrimage from Park City to visit IKEA, I keep and eye out for Heather hoping for the chance to thank her for the entertainment and insight I get from her blog.

• Julie in Virginia
    April 23, 2008 12:16 p.m.

I love this website. Heather is just "spit my coffee out funny" and her photographs of the dogs are the highlight of my week. Sometimes, when I am feeling grumpy I just look at Chuck - and I can't help but smile :)

I deeply value her authentic voice and her courage to speak from heart. Thanks for featuring her in your paper.

• Linda in RI
    April 24, 2008 11:49 a.m.

Wouldn't this world be a boring place if we were all the same and all had the same interests? Wouldn't the internet be boring if blogs were all about the same thing? Not only is the internet "free", but we live in America, so if you don't like it - change the channel, click on another website.

Crazy You - no child ASKS to be born or brought into this world. What child asks to be born a crack addict, or starving and poverty stricken. I think that telling stories about her child is not only her right, but it's far better than beating her, posting pornographic pictures of her or selling her as a sex slave - all of which happen in this miserable world.

To the haters: There are TONS of things you could be complaining about other than one woman's opinions posted on a website that happens to be popular.

Get over it. Free will, folks. That's what life is all about.

GO DOOCE!!!!! You ROCK! m/

• bigblonde
    April 24, 2008 4:35 p.m.

I think I'm a triplet! Heather, my sister-in-law and I must have all came from the same womb! We all think so much alike! She is truly a soul mate to anyone with a slightly twisted way of looking at life and the wacked-out people in it. She is truly loved in our family!