Utah Utes football: Utes to get new uniforms

Comments

• NIKE
    March 28, 2008 1:30 a.m.

That is HOT

• Palls
    March 28, 2008 1:28 a.m.

Maybe there should be a picture from the back; because that is all the other teams will be seeing this season!!!!!!!!

GO UTES..

• Rise and Shout
    March 28, 2008 1:35 a.m.

terrible football team, but at least they will look good...

• and another hidden feature
    March 28, 2008 1:56 a.m.

Ute players will be able to slip out of tackles, thanks to the new fabric, thus making them unstoppable. The new champs of the MWC.

Okay, just kidding.

• SJ Bobkins
    March 28, 2008 3:50 a.m.

This is the 29th time the same news has been presented in the DMN. When does such a piece stop being news and become olds? I have it memorized. The yutz were not important to Nike and they received uni's that didn't match last year. So this year they became the second team along with East Overshoe State to sign with Underalls, the company which has been making those "cute" pajama sets for the tykes.
    Isn't it about time the "news" did a Nike and lost interest in the yutz too?

• Just Checking
    March 28, 2008 4:22 a.m.

Any truth behind the rumor that BYU is going back to the uniform with the bib on the front? It's nice to see the Utes continue to stay progressive. Go Utes!

• rvalens2
    March 28, 2008 4:57 a.m.

The design look reasonably good. However, I'd like to see what the Black/Crimson design would look like. If done properly it could be a real eye popper.

• Legal Beagle
    March 28, 2008 5:23 a.m.

Funny how Under Armour describes their fabrics: "engineered to wick moisture away from the skin, enabling players to feel drier, lighter and more comfortable." Are we talking about football uniforms or diapers?

There doesn't seem to be much difference in how these new uniforms look compared with the Nike version they've been wearing. Although I'm a cougar fan, I think Utah deserves credit, like BYU, for being a solid recognized football program that Nike and Under Armour fight over for business. At least these two schools have consistently carried the MWC banner into the national limelight, and if the Utes can continue to look flashy while doing it (as much as I hate all things red), I say way to go, brothers from another mother up North!

• If Only
    March 28, 2008 5:24 a.m.

If only the Utes had those uniforms last year, they could've tackled someone at Oregon State and UNLV, and covered someone at BYU.

• New uniforms...
    March 28, 2008 5:45 a.m.

Still ugly

• I am Utah man sir
    March 28, 2008 6:38 a.m.

I like it. Go Utes!

• Progressive
    March 28, 2008 6:37 a.m.

Is progressive another word for lack of tradition?

• Just like basketball
    March 28, 2008 6:50 a.m.

Will they have MUSS on them and UTAH on the back instead of the players name? That's what Coach Boylen did and he made it to the second round of the CBI. I think that is what the football jerseys need to beat Michigan.

• JIMI
    March 28, 2008 7:11 a.m.

haha look at the byu fans trying to make fun of the unis. hahahaha. dont you guys remember? you had the worst unis of ALL TIMEEEEE lol. remember? the bib.

GOO UTES!

• Sports Fan
    March 28, 2008 7:17 a.m.

Is this News worthy? tell me about sports not QVC news!

• Frank Drebin
    March 28, 2008 7:40 a.m.

Scoreboard. 4th and 18. Harline's still open.

• Rod
    March 28, 2008 7:41 a.m.

If the school has the notion of changing uniforms, why not move to the front of the pack with something spectacular, and cutting edge. The uniforms in the drawings are "boring", unless they are aiming for the "retro" look. Do something different! Look at how good the Chargers "powder blue" jerseys look. The school can do better than what is shown.

• Careful
    March 28, 2008 7:42 a.m.

It could be a jinx, remember what happened to BYU when they got new uniforms. . .

• Change is Good
    March 28, 2008 7:37 a.m.

The new unis look great. Better than the "Coke can" unis of the past 3 years. When the front line turned to the side they looked like a six-pack of coca cola.

• JIMI?
    March 28, 2008 7:43 a.m.

It's not the uni bozo, it's the player in it. The utes are more like models than players. Soon, they'll be like Oregon and worry more about what "outfit" they're wearing on game day instead of the game plan for the day.

• dartstock
    March 28, 2008 7:38 a.m.

It's the win that counts not the uniform.

• J
    March 28, 2008 7:49 a.m.

Agreed Jimi.. they were terrible! The Uni's look good. Doing black uni's are sweet too along with doing a "blackout" at night games with the fans..

• Adam
    March 28, 2008 7:57 a.m.

You zoobies have such a short memory. Who could forget the BIBS? Lets not forgot that BYU also ripped off Yale's "Y"

• BYU uni blahs
    March 28, 2008 7:53 a.m.

Glad the bib look wasn't considered. We hated that. But don't you think you could match the helmet with the jersey?

• Names
    March 28, 2008 8:05 a.m.

Put UTAH on the back of the jersey instead of the player's name. That's what Boylen did and the basketball team won a tournament game.

• Heres what we should do!
    March 28, 2008 8:04 a.m.

Lets change our colors to match an in state WAC school of whom we think we are too good to keep a consistent rivalry with!

• snipe
    March 28, 2008 8:11 a.m.

I'm sure the helmets still won't match the uniforms. Nice.

snipe

• OMG
    March 28, 2008 8:18 a.m.

Did i really just read "Harline's still open"?

sad.

• Mark in AZ
    March 28, 2008 8:25 a.m.

THIS is front page news?

• Cougar criticism
    March 28, 2008 8:29 a.m.

I would be happy to take criticism from any team that hasn't changed their uniforms, school colors, or any combination of both about a dozen times in the last ten years. Uniform smack? Really? Don't you have some home-teaching to do?

• Upgrade
    March 28, 2008 8:29 a.m.

Good, the Utes have had ugly uni's for a while now. Anything will be better than what they had.

• Scoobie
    March 28, 2008 8:35 a.m.

Maybe the Crowton curse will hit Utah......that would be worth seeing......meanwhile Michigan lost another of it's starting offensive linemen from last year. That leaves them with only two returning starters on offense....if Utah can't handle them...then it will have to be the uniforms!!!!!!!

• Josh
    March 28, 2008 8:43 a.m.

I despised last year's: the stripe that went from the armpit around the back below the numbers was ugly. These look awesome.

Interesting that they got rid of the black. I like it better, though.

GO UTES!!!

• New Uniforms
    March 28, 2008 8:56 a.m.

Same results

• Spanky
    March 28, 2008 8:56 a.m.

LOL! 1999 uniform smack? That's all you've got left!!!!!!!

Scoreboard X 6!

• Anonymous
    March 28, 2008 8:58 a.m.

It wont matter what the wear the still SUCK!

• Amy Bjorge Kostecki
    March 28, 2008 9:04 a.m.

It's not dramatically different. Just a few different stripes. It's not like they changed color.
    If you want to know what the black and red uniform would look like, look at the Maryland Terrapins or Louisville Cardinals alternate black uniform. Probably something similar.

• Anything's better than...
    March 28, 2008 9:13 a.m.

Oregon State's and Oregon's uniforms.

• CO Coug
    March 28, 2008 9:18 a.m.

From one Cougar fan to another, I agree with another post, the whole "Harline is still open" smack is getting old. "4th and 18" is really the only viable smack that is appropriate, don't use plays from two seasons ago.

As far as the uni's, I'm not sure, they do look a lot better than the coke can red uniforms from the last two years. The home uniforms for the Utes were very ugly, just too much red, these look a little more balanced.

I like the "engineered to wick moisture away from the skin, enabling players to feel drier, lighter and more comfortable" statement, reminds of that Seinfeld episode where George got the Yankees to purchase cotton uniforms.

• Uniforms
    March 28, 2008 9:22 a.m.

I hate the red top white bottoms; white tops red bottoms- solid on both top and bottom look better

• Love Classic Unis
    March 28, 2008 9:28 a.m.

Yes, the bibs were awful. Fortunately, BYU responded with a brilliant move -- a return to their classic look. In my humble opinion, the Cougars' uniforms are among the best looking in college football. That's in part due to the fact that they are distinctive.

The Utes new jerseys are nearly identical to what half the teams in the NCAA are wearing.

• RPH
    March 28, 2008 9:30 a.m.

This is really hard to equate with BYU's uniform change. That change was drastic and involved new colors, new helmets, pretty much new everything. I can't even really tell the difference with these new Ute unis.

• More Rumors, by HermF
    March 28, 2008 9:24 a.m.

Rumors are also circulating about an alternate HIGHLIGHTER YELLOW jersey as well! this can be mix and matched with the rumored MAGENTA uniform and the legendery BLACK uniform! Lets start some more rumors by putting it in print!

• SJBUBBA
    March 28, 2008 9:30 a.m.

It's not the Uniform , it's what's inside! Go Zane Taylor ..homegrown and from a small town! Proud of you! As you will rule! Stay in School!

• helmet
    March 28, 2008 9:42 a.m.

It will be pointless if the helmet color still doesn't match the uniforms. Who is the idiot that approves this? Let's have crimson and white uni's and candy red helmets!! Great idea.

• Rebel Fan
    March 28, 2008 9:38 a.m.

27-0. Yup. It's probably best that you burn your old uniforms.

• zoobs can't spell
    March 28, 2008 9:38 a.m.

to the anonymous illiterate at 8:58, the word is "they", not "the". (probably dropped out of Provo High in 1992 and wouldn't know his way around a college campus to save his life)

to the rest of you smack-talking zoobs, 53-34-4, (Utah wins, zoob wins, and ties) Also 17-3 (the number of times Utah has shut out the zoobs and the number of times the zoobs have shut out Utah) In 30 years, if you have been able to catch up by then, then you can talk smack. Till then, keep your illiterate, holier-than-thou mouths shut.

• Black???
    March 28, 2008 9:58 a.m.

This came from Coach Boylen

"Those are the parts of the game that the tradition of this program was built on. Our colors are red and white. Black is not one of our colors. I've received a ton of letters from alumni requesting that we take black off the uniform. I agree with them. This is an outward statement of an inward commitment that we've made to get back to the ideals and traditions of this program."

I agree with this. Black is not one of our school colors and should be used only as an accent if at all.

• BYU Fan cliches
    March 28, 2008 9:53 a.m.

Harline's still open. 4th and 18. 1984. Don't you guys ever get tired of spouting the same rhetoric? Sure the Fiesta Bowl win had a lot of clout when it took place, but I don't think there's ever been a fan base more obsessed with such irrelevant achievements. Yes, that includes your national championship. I am one to praise the your it, but don't you understand that the majority of sports' nation discounts it altogether?

Get over yourselves.

• Deuce Deuce
    March 28, 2008 9:58 a.m.

GOOOOO UTES!!!!

• New jerseys
    March 28, 2008 10:03 a.m.

I wish the jerseys had the two white stripes going down the side of the pants, late 1990's style when Steve Smith played. I know those unis were made by Russel Athletic but I think those looked real classy. But I do like these better than the strap that went around the back of the jersey from the last 3 years. Go UTES!

• TucsonUte
    March 28, 2008 10:19 a.m.

I think white pants would look better with the away uniforms. I am also dissapointed that they might have an alternative black uniform....the Utes will look like SDSU wearing those. At least the U didn't steal another in state university's colors to increase jersey sales.

• GC
    March 28, 2008 10:20 a.m.

Speaking of funny fashion trends, Underarmour may be in fashion, but have they really just made spandex for men popular again?

• MichiganUte
    March 28, 2008 10:24 a.m.

- Light-gray gloves?
    - Is the bottom of the cleates red?
    - Where does the moisture go after it is wisked away?
    - I like the idea of keeping black as an accent color, how about outlining the block U on the helmets with black, and changing to black facemasks with black chinstraps?
    - Then change the gloves to black

• Yawn...
    March 28, 2008 10:37 a.m.

Style: "The plain Jane"...

A uniform for just a bunch of regular girls.

Or maybe...

A uniform that can't decide between being home or away.

Or maybe...

A uniform as boring as any other time we make the news.

• Please Dr. Hill
    March 28, 2008 10:50 a.m.

APPROVE THE BLACK UNIFORMS!!

The players and coaches want black uniforms, but Dr. Hill won't buy in on it.

• Jerseys?
    March 28, 2008 10:57 a.m.

UnderArmour is an up and coming brand, but sure makes ugly uniforms. The jerseys in the picture look similar to those of South Carolina's which look horrible! The Nike Jerseys they had been sporting the past few years were pretty bad, but I believe these are even a step below those. They should've simplified their uni's and stuck with Nike.

• To: Zoobs can't spell . . .
    March 28, 2008 11:04 a.m.

If you consult the Wikipedia, you will notice that in the last 35 (THIRTY FIVE) years, from 1972 to 2007, the results have been:

BYU 24 WINS
    Utah -- 11 wins!!

BYU has won more than double the number of games in those years! The wins Utah had were back in the early days of BYU football.

The Utes complain because we refer to something back in 1984 ??? You are goading in something dating back even before 1972 !!!

BYU also has a better record of graduating their students athletes.

• Unis
    March 28, 2008 11:22 a.m.

I just watched highlights from last years game and they don't seem all that different, just more stripes and added lines. I have to say I liked their all red unis. I went to AFHS in American Fork and I loved red, black, and white. I love that color combination, and I think it's a great combo. Won't be enough to beat Michigan though.

• JD
    March 28, 2008 11:43 a.m.

Doesn't matter what the Utes wear, Michigan will trounce them. But, I believe they will be competitive when they play Weber State!!

• Anonymous
    March 28, 2008 11:48 a.m.

I can;t believe that there are this many comments about this story. GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON.

• I like them
    March 28, 2008 11:54 a.m.

I think they are sharp looking. I wouln't mind seeing them mix it up a bit with the pants and maybe go all red or all white and maybe even a two-tone colored sock but I think they are pretty good looking and look much better than the last few years have. And to the person who said BYU has some of the best uniforms...give me a break. I think they are ugly but they do look better than the bright blue they used to have. Now to the person who talked about the Powder blue charger's uniforms. Yeah I kinda like those but you have to remember Utah doesn't really have that mix of colors to where they can do that. They may be able to use black but even then I would stick with the crimson and white. And a stripe on the helmet might look good too.

• Live in Real Life
    March 28, 2008 12:06 p.m.

Anoymous & SB Bobkins, Get a Life!

• Re please Dr. Hill
    March 28, 2008 12:09 p.m.

DONT EVER APPROVE THE BLACK UNIFORMS

I dont want to look like SDSU and I certainly dont want to play like em....and I dont understand this notion of caring what the coaches and players want. The coaches dont care first of all and the last people that should have a say is the players. Uniforms should be marketed for FANS....... I dont like these uniforms by the way. I wish the U would simplify the uniform and go back to something like the early days of McBride.

• Again??
    March 28, 2008 12:06 p.m.

Don't the Utes change their uniform about every 3 years or so? It seems like every time I see an historical highlight, you know like the '89 game that was 49-7 at halftime, or the '95 beatdown where BYU ran for 300+ yards, or even the '06 and '07 games which just add to the BYU highlight reel.

Basically a school with no tradition, no identity, and once again (this year) no championship. Enjoy the new uni's. I'm sure they'll look great in the team picture which will once again read "MWC 4th place Finish 5-6"

• To Zoobs can't spell
    March 28, 2008 12:08 p.m.

Wow, what are you so bitter about. I realize some posters here may have studied English and are offended when proper grammar is not used, but get over it and stop using little things to further aggravate your inferiority complex. I hope the next thirty years are like the past 30 years for BYU football. A national championship, dominance for long periods over the conference and the utes, and high rankings in the national standings. It must suck to have flashes of brilliance only to be over shadowed by so called 'holier than thou' zoobs. No wonder a majority of ute fans are bitter all the time by any sort of success BYU has.

• Re: zoobs can't spell
    March 28, 2008 12:08 p.m.

Zoob boy, the 53-34-4 record is great. But how many of those 53 wins came during your lifetime? I'm guessing if you look at the records during your lifetime, it doesn't look too good.

I think the new uni's look good. I hope the Utes do well. But we all know which team the rest of the MWC will be looking to beat, and it isn't the team with new uniforms....

• New Uni's
    March 28, 2008 12:11 p.m.

I think they will look awesome! But I am a big fan of having the pants and jersey the same color, while the socks are the other color...

Lets see red jerseys and red pants with white socks...and white jerseys and pants with red socks...that would be tight...

• Go Utes
    March 28, 2008 12:12 p.m.

These unis will look good. I wasn't a huge fan of the Miami look. Cougar fans that worry about this being news conveniently forget about how LAME 99% of Dick Harmon's articles are. At least this article has something to do with substance and the team. It's not about how Joe Schmuck, linebacker at byu loves his Granny and enjoys baking oatmeal cookies. Go UTES! Oh and Desnews please post this, you conveniently let BYU fans post but are MUCH more critical of Utah posts.

• bj for prez
    March 28, 2008 12:13 p.m.

I think the new jerseys will look really good when we can actually see a player wearing them. These drawings look like a similar model to what we just had, except that we have tweaked the location of the stripes. I like them though, i just wish that they would have all solids, not the mix top red with bottom white. All red, then all white, and have the black jerseys on like one game, against like tcu of something.

• Did you really?
    March 28, 2008 12:24 p.m.

Well, of course Harline is still open. Now, would you just give it up and go Fourth and 18?

Regarding the new uniforms. Thank you God! The ugliest uniforms in all of College Football (OK, well, maybe second to Oregon) will finally be replaced!! I can't wait. At least now when National coverage shows up at Rice-Eccles in November, the fans watching won't be distracted by the Ugly uniforms of the Utes and will be able to enjoy the stellar play of the boys in blue --- for 3 in a row.

But Black?? What part of the chicken/hawk is black? The beak? I think that is more dark brown. Oh, BTW, think about the positive of being able to go to the Big House Aug. 30 and at least get credit for good looking uniforms. That will help offset the embarrassment from less than stellar play in a big loss to a mediocre Wolverine team.

• sidmiser
    March 28, 2008 12:28 p.m.

Don't like the Utes, but I do like the new unis. Much improvement. BTW, I predict 7-5 season for the Utahns, I mean Utes. Roll Tide!

• CrimsonUte
    March 28, 2008 12:36 p.m.

Utah/BYU blah blah. Quit trolling.

I like the new uniforms. They look sharp.

• Thanks Desnews
    March 28, 2008 12:37 p.m.

Desnews does a terrible job of posting Utah fans comments that aren't bad in anyway. You let cougar fans run their mouths about things that aren't in the article, but when a Utah fan (me) comments about the article it gets censored. Lovely.

• To: Zoobs can't spell...
    March 28, 2008 12:39 p.m.

Zoobs? Not a word. Can't be spelled. Ute's record against a fictional word? Childish babble.

Go go power rangers!

• Fashion Designer
    March 28, 2008 12:51 p.m.

Hey, now maybe the shade of red on the Utes' helmets will finally match their jerseys!!!

• zoobs can't spell
    March 28, 2008 12:53 p.m.

to our 11:04 commenter, you want to talk recent history? (since they actually started enforcing the honor code, no more McMahon and the like walking around campus with a stogie in his mouth, a can of Skoal in his back pocket, and a bottle of Schlitz in his hand)? Fine. since 1993 Utes 9, zoobs 6. How 'bout more recent? since 2002, Utes 4 zoobs 2. My original comment still stands, if you've managed to catch up in 30 years, then talk smack. Overall its still 53-34-3 (or 4 if you count the 0-0 tie in 1928).

And what did McMahon get his degree in? Oh that's right, he stopped going to class three weeks before his last holiday bowl.

• yo daddy
    March 28, 2008 1:07 p.m.

maybe itll help them play better bahahahahahhahahah

utesuk

• Not a classic program
    March 28, 2008 1:13 p.m.

I have a problem with the Utes changing their uniforms every few years. The classic programs (Michigan, Ohio St., Penn State, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Auburn, etc.)have not changed the look of their uniforms for years and years. These programs let their play on the field define them, not new uniforms. I am glad that BYU went back to their classic uniform from the past. In fact I think that was one of Bronco's best moves. I saw some vintage Ute footage lately, probably from the 1980's Scott Mitchell was QB, and thought the uniforms looked fantastic. I hope someday the Utes return to that look.

• Joe Mama
    March 28, 2008 1:36 p.m.

Hate the team and hate the uniforms...the Utes are just a bunch of wannabes pattering their uniforms after Miami and other schools. Try being original.

• Re; Zoobs can't spell
    March 28, 2008 1:44 p.m.

to the commentor at 12:53 pm - Who the freak cares about McMahon and what his degree was in?

Also, should we go back to more recent - BYU 2 Yewts 0.

The yewsts unis are ugly, and they'll field another crummy team again this year. I guess when you really don't have anything to cheer for, you might as well change the uniforms to at least give the fans something to look forward to this year. Regardless of what their uniforms look like, they'll finish in the middle of the MWC again this year and will get beat by BYU again.

• Tradition?
    March 28, 2008 1:43 p.m.

Whatever happened to tradition? College sports is all about tradition, and the Utes have none. Unless you count fielding a mediocre team year in and year out, and then change the uniforms every few years.

Oh, there was that one year they had a really good team and beat a crappy Pitt team in the bowl game (had it been anybody else, the Yewts would have lost that game). Other than that, the utes have no tradition whatsoever at all.

• re: zoobs can't spell
    March 28, 2008 1:46 p.m.

Get over it man. As for the article, why is this news? Who cares?

• BYUofU
    March 28, 2008 1:47 p.m.

Stupid Smack... Harline is still open. That's like bringing up the 34-31 smack.

Better to let the play of 2008 speak for itself! Those are days gone by.

It would take a lot for Ute's uniforms to be worse than one of the Cougar's incarnations! (Bibs?)

• JOE
    March 28, 2008 1:58 p.m.

FOR ALL YOU BYU FANS, FOOTBALL DIDN'T START IN 1971.

• uni's
    March 28, 2008 2:00 p.m.

Is it just me or does everyone just wanna run a mouse over BYU's helmets and click on their Y to see if it'll take ya to Yahoo??? You stole Utah St colors, The Y from Yale and little cliches from Utah. Get some imagination and be original. The Bibs were a start, ugly, but atleast it was your own Idea, and oh boy did it show.

• Powder Crimson?
    March 28, 2008 2:06 p.m.

I think it interesting that someone brought up the Powder Blue of the Chargers (Why powder blue? Jazz did the same dumb color too!).

Should the Utes go to something like "powder blue" they would end up with pink. Pink?

Hmmm... That would be interesting!

• Disappointed Ute Fan
    March 28, 2008 2:22 p.m.

These uniforms are AWFUL! Really, is this the best they can come up with??? Yuck. SI recently named the Ute uniform as one of the ten worst uniforms in division one football. I guess we'll be topping that list again next year.

• andrewute1
    March 28, 2008 2:33 p.m.

Love the new jerseys, but they should go old school. Under armour is by far better than nike, ask any athlete that has played anything the past 8 years or so since under armour has come out.

By the way byu fans THIS YEAR:
    HARLINE WONT BE OPEN,
    YOU WONT CONVERT A 4TH AND 18,
    AND WONT GET LUCKY AGAIN!

Utah will freakin roll Michigan and roll the conference and go to their 2nd BCS game!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UTES!!!

• Slow day in Salt Lake
    March 28, 2008 2:51 p.m.

You've got to be kidding......this is news????? Who cares???? Come Game day I hardly think it will matter....You people actually get all jollied up over a story about Uniforms......Get lives for goodness sake and quit reading the Deseret News if this is all that they can conjure up between the NCAA break.

• Anonymous
    March 28, 2008 2:57 p.m.

Does this mean that their helmet colors will now match their uniform colors?

• Anonymous
    March 28, 2008 2:59 p.m.

frank drebin, come on man now your hurting my feelings. like im really hurt. and seriously byu fans get a life.

• Anonymous
    March 28, 2008 3:00 p.m.

all i have to say is why do they call it the Y? it makes absolutely no sense? the U, yes. the Y, no! the young is an awesome school.

• Anonymous
    March 28, 2008 3:01 p.m.

They are an improvement which isn't saying much. I wish they would go black AND red. Now that might be a jersey I buy.

• LV COUG
    March 28, 2008 3:01 p.m.

BORING!

• Anonymous
    March 28, 2008 3:09 p.m.

wow....that is an animated picture of uniforms.....you cant really judge them yet.

• MadMax
    March 28, 2008 3:36 p.m.

Where to start? There are so many zoob comments to ridicule. However, is it worth it? Most zoobs (not byu fans as there is a big difference) would never understand the 'smack' anyway.
    FYI -
    * Records include all games, not just a select few.
    * Don't denigrate other team uniforms when you had perhaps the worst football uniforms of all time - bibs.
    * Don't engage in color smack as you stole aggie blue a few years back.
    * If Harline is still open then we can say 34-31 times 2.
    * 4th and 18 is trumped by 3-0 at your place
    * OCC bragging is countered by your failures in bowl games while the Utes have not lost a bowl game in recent memory.
    * Steve Young and Jim McMahon are trumped by the shear number of current Utes in the NFL including All-Pro Steve Smith and soon to be All-Pro Eric Weddle
    Ok I'll stop now as I am closingn in on the 200 word limit.
    GO UTES!!!

* 1984 MNC (enmphasize the 'mythical' part) over a 6-5 team is far less than an undefeated BSC bowl champion

• Dubya
    March 28, 2008 3:47 p.m.

New uniforms won't help the Utes beat the Cougs. I wonder if they will be on SIs 10 worst uniform lists.

• to
    March 28, 2008 3:47 p.m.

the numbskull who brought up graduation rates. Are you talking football? because Utah is above BYU in that capacity, and another thing, BYU redshirts more athletes than Utah, which is a distinct advantage in the classroom.

• Lucky
    March 28, 2008 3:56 p.m.

I have to agree somewhat with andrewute1. The Harline 'line' needs to finally go away.
    I can't remember the BYU fans converting a 4th and 18, though. I guess you are referring to the football team. And speaking of the BYU football team, I don't think they will be in a position to need to convert a long fourth down this year.

Lastly, if the BYU players get lucky could that possibly be an honor code violation?

The Cougars have never been lucky against the Utes. Sometimes magic happens. At least that's what they've been quoted as saying. I don't believe it though. I think they just plain out perform the teams they beat because they are loaded with two and three-star recruits and walk-ons.

Hopefully the Utes will not wear red jerseys with red pants. That runnin' red underwear look is just pathetic. Their helmets are nice looking though.

• TJ
    March 28, 2008 3:51 p.m.

To Tradition?... How can you say that Pitt was a terrible team? They won their conference and got to a BCS game so how is that terrible? They were not terrible but I would have much rather played Auburn or Texas or Michigan that year. Utah was incredible that year and I think they would have beaten anyone of those 3 teams.And how many games did the Y win that year in a mediocre conference? They were terrible and not Pitt who won a BCS confernce.
    To anyone BYU fan that can't believe this is news.
    Go and read the article about Cloak Boy. This is way better news than that so I wouldn't complain cause BYU doesn't have anything news worthy right now.

• Classic Uniforms?
    March 28, 2008 4:04 p.m.

To everyone talking about BYU tradition and going back to their "classic" uniforms. In Utah State blue? What happened to the real BYU royal blue?

• BlueCoug
    March 28, 2008 4:00 p.m.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it'll be nice to have the Utah uni's match their helmets. I do like the Candy Apple Red Helmets though.

The BYU bib uni's were a disaster, even BYU fans hated them; that's why they only lasted a year.

btw, it's called the "Y", because that was the first letter painted on the mountain. It was going to be "BYU", but after they finished the "Y", they decided against adding the other two letters.

Aggie fans who feel that BYU "stole" their colors are clueless. The color selection had nothing to do with Utah St. The color was basically chosen by a marketing firm BYU hired to standardize BYU's color scheme for all teams. Before that, the blue various teams had chosen varied from powder blue to dark blue, sometimes during the same season.

• Zoobs.
    March 28, 2008 4:02 p.m.

What did you expect from the school who brought you the fan wrestling Cummard, cloak boy, water balloon tossers, gold's Gym porn protestors, and mop wielding track stars.

Go Utes!

• Re: J
    March 28, 2008 4:02 p.m.

"Doing black uni's are sweet too along with doing a "blackout" at night games with the fans.."

Good idea. Now all they have to worry about is getting fans to come....I've got an idea, play a game after the HS state championship and hope some fans stick around.

• Re: Not a Classic Program
    March 28, 2008 4:09 p.m.

I live in Columbus. Ohio State just changed their uniforms. All the better to make you pay way too much for another one you don't need.

I don't really care what the Ute uniforms look like as long as they don't have a bib and they aren't the colors of another school.

• sjparasite , it's the water!
    March 28, 2008 4:44 p.m.

who cares the world is going down with the big one called Liquidification !!

• And who called these guys
    March 28, 2008 4:51 p.m.

Utahns...more like Texans and others! Use your head or chewing ON SUC-O-TASH!!

• Cougie
    March 28, 2008 5:14 p.m.

It's perfect that the Utes wear red- it further emphasizes in the mind of Cougie fan that we Utes are the devil. Black and red might look even more evil to the uptight and timid Cougie. So I say, add the black jersey to the mix!!

• Zoobs can't spell?
    March 28, 2008 5:16 p.m.

Who are the Zoobs? I guess the Utes are very successful against a fictional team. If you are referring to BYU, well then refer to BYU. Your reference to uncreative terms made up to try and insult BYU students, fans, and alumni is a pathetic attempt to 'rise and shout' because you were probably not accepted to BYU. You probably weren't accepted to the U either because a true 'Utah Man' can come up with intelligent smack that proves they actually like to rip on BYU.

• Re: Zoobs at 9:38
    March 28, 2008 5:29 p.m.

Wow, aren't you the articulate one. Stop, please, your acerbic comments are too much for me to handle.

Well, if you can't change the (losing) program, you can at least change the uniform.

Oh--and the kid you referenced? Couldn't have dropped out of Provo High. Otherwise, he would have been admitted to the U Honors Program. Yeah, I crack myself up...

• Dont like them
    March 28, 2008 6:38 p.m.

I can just hear the jokes about the new uniforms the Utes are going to be blessed with...Those wonderful new Underarm...Excuse me...Underarmour. ROFL

• Utah Alum
    March 28, 2008 6:38 p.m.

Couldn't care less about the uniform change; waiting for a coaching staff change. We are back to the days of Ron McBride. Unimaginative offense, poor tackling on defense, undisciplined football, pitiful scheduling. (Yes, I realize Michigan is on the '08 schedule) But please, Weber State, San Jose State, Iowa State ??? While I'll never be a BYU fan, I always respected LaVell Edwards for scheduling the likes of Florida State, Miami and Notre Dame.

• HoosierState
    March 28, 2008 7:49 p.m.

If you are going to essentially copy someone else's uni look anyway, why not the IU b-ballers? Candy striped football pants might actually put the U on the national map, despite their never being on TV (the mtn. doesn't count until they stop shooting footage with home video cameras from the 80's ...).

• RE: Cougie
    March 28, 2008 7:59 p.m.

Hey, as long as you're proud of what you represent, then I guess that's what matters, isn't it? It'll actually motivate us more to beat you!

March 28, 2008 8:25 p.m.

way down. U is for Ugly.

• Uniforms, really???
    March 28, 2008 8:46 p.m.

Seems to me that's incredible news.

I hope they are the better, lower the tackle area Uniforms. That will help against UNLV next year. I hate it when other coaches laugh at our defense.

I also hope they "wick" the "bird" from Wyoming coaches away from the players, and help with the onside kick decision-making of the coaches.

And I hope they are the Big Play Killing uniforms and stop those darn Harline and 4th and 18 comments so Andrewute can quit sleeping with his parents.

Black Uniforms would be great for night games, not reflecting into the stands to hide the empty seats.

Face it there Utes. It's not the Uniforms, it's the AD, the Coaches and the Players -- and really, it's not the fans either, however you Frat drop-outs do say the funniest things.

Hey, does this mean the dancing lady will finally change her uniform??? I sat just downwind from her last year, and I think it really is time for a change.

I'm excited though, it will give me a reson to watch the BYU-Utah games. It's getting tiring: Utah has a mediocre season, BYU plays with nothing on the line, Utah loses...

Boring...

Yawn...

• george
    March 28, 2008 8:51 p.m.

I never thought they looked like "bibs". I always thought the Cougars were in pursuit of a Care Bear look....more lovable, more huggable,...

• Jo from Cali
    March 28, 2008 8:45 p.m.

The U of U can afford to give the team matching helmets. Just DO IT!!!

• Whiptee freakin dooo
    March 28, 2008 9:13 p.m.

Go Utes. 7-5 again, Armed Forces Bowl Champion...hey, we have the longest Bowl winning streak in college football. MEDIOCRE. Kyle is not our answer.

• Seattle
    March 28, 2008 9:56 p.m.

BYU hardly has anything to say about uniforms. It took them several trys before they could get something that looked reasonable. They have made so many errors it "is" funny. Even then, they had to steal the color from another Utah school and go back to a helmet with a little history. All these problems for the sake of wanting more money.

Perhaps Utah will will prove that you can make a good decision on uniforms the first time around (new contract an all.

I would like to see a version of the black.

Anyway, I guess it is just one more thing to argue about.

By the way, will someone please get BYU to broadcast newer games on their Classic games review. I believe some of those players are retired by now.

BYU next year? I am afraid it is going to be a 9-3 season at best. I really worry about UCLA and Washington. They may not make that one extra play against Utah next year.

I guess we will wait and see.

• LA Ute
    March 28, 2008 10:19 p.m.

So many BYU fans seem to speak a different language.

Dominance: two literally last minute wins.
    Mediocre: 7-game bowl winning streak and a 9-4 season.

• Let all Remember U!!
    March 28, 2008 10:34 p.m.

As in what you do against U.C.L.A...can't wait as you will be too late! Now do the CHOW,Chow, chow drive in!

March 29, 2008 4:46 a.m.

That's it, yewts, crack on the unis. What the Cougars have is:

More All Americans

More Conferrnce Chsmpionships

More Bowl Games

More Heismans

More Outland Trophies

More NFL MVPs

More National Championships

More fans

What the yewts have is more victories before players wore facemasks. Whoopee!

• may the farce be with you
    March 29, 2008 6:34 a.m.

ute fans have one thing to hang their candy apple red helmets on.... oh yeah they don't. but hey, they have tradition to fall back on.... oh! whoops. Sorry girls the uniforms stink and michigan will still grind your mugs in the big house lawn, even with a quarterback that doesn't fit fraud-riguez's offense. WAR austin collie blowing you up in '08.

• Hogle U
    March 29, 2008 8:14 a.m.

Can someone please explain why BYU fans are called "zoobies," when the U of U has a zoo virtually next door? (A zoo that was a bit of a dump last time I checked.)

If Utah fans aren't going to apply the moniker "zoobies" to themselves, as seems appropriate, given the location of the Hogle Zoo, perhaps the term "yoobies" or "yewbies" would be in order.

And, if Utah wants to go fishing for new yewnies, perhaps they would be willing to try-on football's first unitard ... Hey! The one piece has worked great for the ladies' gymnastics squad.

It would be very forward-thinking and progressive!

• Waste of print
    March 29, 2008 12:44 p.m.

I can't believe that I'm actually responding to probably the dumbest article that I've ever read about.....Big Deal...new football uniforms...... but worse yet I'm stupid enough to allow myself to be drawn into psting to the article like the rest of the idiots ahead of me......how pathetic!!!!!

• under armour
    March 30, 2008 7:28 p.m.

the uniforms are sick! they look really cool.i like the style go utes!

• Ugly Unis
    April 1, 2008 4:15 p.m.

If anyone wants to see an ugly uniform look at the all black one that the Oregon basketball team wore a few months back. It was a black shirt and black shorts that had black lettering for the school and player names but had white numbers. They looked beyond terrible. By far the worst I have ever seen and if you want to keep with ugly football unis then look at oregon's diamond metal plated shoulder jerseys. Ok let's just admit that oregon has the worst jerseys ever.

• fisch10
    April 2, 2008 3:06 p.m.

please spare me by saying the zoobs going back to the classic look makes them one of the best looks in the NCAA because they also look like 5o percent of the teams in the NCAA. oh and by the way all i have to say is 53-33-4 which means it will take the zoobs over 20 years to catch up...

• Go Utes
    April 5, 2008 3:42 p.m.

I think a black uni would look pretty cool, but would they wear it with red, white, or hopefully not black pants. Stay with the classic colors Utah. Gooooooooo Utes!!!!!!

• Joe B
    Oct. 18, 2008 1:28 p.m.

What is the insignia on the Right side of the Utes shirt. Can't see it well.

• Utah fan
    Jan. 5, 2009 10:22 a.m.

who beat alabama this year? UTAH!