BYU football: Eager Cougars open practice

Comments

• Cougar Alum in Chicago
    March 18, 2008 8:00 a.m.

I can't believe how excited I am about college football, and it's only March!

Is it too early for predictions?

1. BYU will win the MWC, run the table, head to a BCS game, and lose by 10-20 points. Everyone in Cougar Nation will blame the loss on officiating and bias. LOL.

2. Utah's stench will only be surpassed by Utah State's.

3. Ohio State beats Georgia in the NC. As much as I hate to say it, the Buckeyes could have the team of the decade this year, especially if Pryor signs with them this week. It will be like a Tebow/Leak combination, but better. Virtually their entire team is returning this year, including three juniors who would have been sure-thing 1st rounders in this year's NFL draft.

4. The Heisman goes to... Beanie Wells. He could rack up 2,000 yards. That kid had a nagging ankle injury last year and still ended up with 1,700 yards.

• Anonymous
    March 18, 2008 8:08 a.m.

Ohio State win the NT!! Wow. This is a team that has been embarrased when they actually play a team of caliber! Say hello to USC. Just watch USC play Ohio State in September and your prediction will change for sure!

• To Cougar Alum
    March 18, 2008 8:34 a.m.

OSU beating an SEC team in a bowl game? Not gonna happen, mainly cause they won't be there. Southern Cal gets OSU at home, and as usual has a weak conference to deal with. They will most likely go undefeated. Both VT and Clemson have absolute cupcake schedules this year. They will both go into the ACC title game undefeated, making it the most hyped game of the year, although neither team will have played a Top 25 opponent during the season. By virtue of being an undefeated BCS conference champ, even though their conference is weak and neither one scheduled anybody good OOC, one of them will get the second NT game slot. So, while the SEC will have the three best teams in college football this season, none will go to the national title game as they will have knocked each other off during the regular season. Such is life when your national champ is determined by a Beauty Pageant.

• Cougar Alum in Chicago
    March 18, 2008 8:30 a.m.

I actually don't think USC has a prayer against this OSU team, but I could be wrong. Perhaps I'm not thinking straight because I live in the middle of Big Ten country and watch the Buckeyes play all the time. They were basically a team of rookies last year, so I, like everyone else, was shocked when they ended up in the NC by default last year. But this coming season was supposed to be their year, and more talent skipped the draft than they possibly could have hoped for. You're looking at 20 returning starters, including several All-Americans. Trust me, I'm not alone in saying they're the team to beat this year.

Choke when they play a team of caliber? Couldn't we say the same thing about our beloved Cougars? And by national standards, Arizona, UCLA, and Tulsa are by no means teams of caliber. The two last NC games aside, the Buckeyes have been dominant (or highly competitive) against teams of caliber this decade (think 6 of 7 against Michigan, wins against Miami, Texas, Notre Dame, etc.).

• Ernest T. Bass
    March 18, 2008 8:37 a.m.

Best ever.
    in their own minds.

• Cougar Alum in Chicago
    March 18, 2008 8:40 a.m.

But then again... I could be wrong. Georgia is going to be amazing this year. I think the Buckeyes will get past USC, but Georgia or any other SEC team? Hardly likely.

I mean you're right, OSU has a penchant for choking lately. But on talent alone, I'm in awe going into year.

But I stick with my predictions. I feel like I need to justify them, because they sound completely crazy after the last two Januarys.

Am I alone thinking the Cougars are heading to a BCS game? The question now: which one? And against whom? How crazy would it be if OSU heads to the NC and the rest of the Big Ten stinks, could BYU be playing USC in the Rose Bowl? Am I dreaming too big here? Now that would be fun...

• The Utah Stench
    March 18, 2008 8:50 a.m.

Maybe Coach Whit has learned how to be beat the teams you should. Maybe he learned how to score against that dominant Rebel defense. Maybe he figured out that if you prepare for all games like you do for BYU games the Utes could be 11-0 going into that matchup. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

With that said, maybe THESE Cougars fan figure out how to beat a mid-level Pac 10 team, OR TWO. We can't lose to UW AND UCLA. Maybe we can show up for all of our nonconference games this time around.

I think NEXT year (the 2009 season) will be the one for the Cougars. I also think maybe some time next decade the Utes might find some consistency against the rest of the conference.

• If BYU makes the BCS this year
    March 18, 2008 8:49 a.m.

it would be in the Orange Bowl. They choose last and the last pick has traditionally been the party crasher. The Fiesta Bowl could snatch BYU given the proximity, but plan on Orange or Las Vegas--most likely Las Vegas.

• Not convinced
    March 18, 2008 8:51 a.m.

I am a huge Cougar fan and season ticket holder. I don't think for one minute BYU can run the table. All of the tough games this year in the MWC are on the road. They will lose to someone, hard as it is for me to say that.

• A few points
    March 18, 2008 8:52 a.m.

I wish a couple of the big name freshman had graduated early and come to spring ball - if any have I haven't heard. I would have especially liked to see our new kicker in to make it a spring through summer battle at that spot.

I can't remember a non-BCS team starting the season ranked as high as BYU likely will be - top 15. That will be the key (as long as they win) in where they play.

With some offensive line injuries allowing some young kids to play this spring, our o-line going into the fall should be as strong and deep as it has ever been.

Does anyone know what happened to the all-everything QB from St. George. He came in so highly rated. He was with the team even last year but he seemed to completely drop off the future QB radar. I know he was injured at one point and I heard talk of him going on a mission. Just wondering what we are looking like at the QB spot 2-3 years from now. Who is that stud in waiting?

• RE: A few Points
    March 18, 2008 9:02 a.m.

Are you talking about Lark? I believe he went on a mission... Not 100% sure though.

• RE: A few Points
    March 18, 2008 9:12 a.m.

Lark went on a mission.

• pesemistic
    March 18, 2008 9:21 a.m.

I'm glad all of the seniors on defense are gone. They gave up over 50 points to an average Tulsa team. Bring in some new blood and teach them to stay in their zones.

• BCS
    March 18, 2008 9:51 a.m.

All this BCS talk is very premature, I am a diehard
    BYU fan but lets be a little more realistic. The cougars have not been a good team at the beginning of the year yet. going 1-3 the last few years. They have two Pack 10 team, one on the road and one at home. If anyone thinks that Washington is just going to role over for the Cougars they are living in happy valley la la land. UCLA will be out to prove that Vegas was a fluke. I for one will not jump on the BCS bandwagon until the cougars prove that they can win the out of conference games. That being said if they win those two game I will be a believer. Go Cougars!!!

• Anonymous
    March 18, 2008 10:05 a.m.

to cougar in Chicago.. I just have to say thanks for bringing up discussion of other teams than BYU and Utah. Its nice to talk about other things than BYU/Utah!

Ya I was making the point that Ohio State Choked big time the past few years. And yes they did get in by default to the title. I guess you arent a huge homer after all! ha. just kiddin man!

That would be pretty dominant if Ohio State Could go on the road and beat USC.. I just dont think it will happen but will for sure be a great game!

• Another Chicago Cougar
    March 18, 2008 10:18 a.m.

I cant stand Ohio State fans and therefore Ohio State. I do think they have more talent then anyone in the BCS. I do think they will be hard to beat, and the most likely team to do that will be USC early on. That could be their only loss of the regular season.

BYU needs to work on their offensive strategy. The players are talented enough. But looking back to last years Vegas Bowl teams like UCLA arent going to let us be so predictable. They will eat us up. Remember how many yards rushing we had. That wont work to win against UCLA again. I hope Im wrong about that. I think we need to change the plays we use for the running game to win a BCS game. We will have to go undefeated to get there in the 1st place

• CO Cougar
    March 18, 2008 10:26 a.m.

Die hard Coug fan here, but please Cougs stop talking, thinking, and even mentioning anything to do with the BCS. The Cougs need to worry about their week 1 opponent, after that, their week 2 opponent, and then after that, their week 3 opponent. Get the idea, I think that a lot of BCS talk could only hurt the Cougs and cause a serious letdown game (Ala UNLV - Utah). Not trying to be a party pooper, but let's be realistic, BYU needs to come out each week and play the opponent in front of them, beat them, and then worry about the BCS when the season is over with.

• Ed Drood
    March 18, 2008 10:23 a.m.

re: A Few Points: I am the stud in waiting, and it's killing me that I'm still waiting! I mean, why should a stud like me have to wait? Whoops, my mistake, I thought you asked who was waiting to be a stud. Never mind.

As for the premature BCS talk, such discussions should be done quietly amongst ourselves rather than on internet sites that our opponents will read and use as locker room pinup material. Let's not forget that UCLA hired Norm Chow and has a defense that mostly stifled us twice last season. I like Robert Anae, but he is no Norm Chow. Although the game is in Provo, UCLA will have a lot to prove and so will Norm. Neuheisel is a great recruiter, so Norm will have, as he did at USC, a lot of talent and a chip on his shoulder. UW will be tough in Husky Stadium too. Let's talk about the BCS AFTER we complete the regular season finale.

• College football
    March 18, 2008 10:47 a.m.

Lets play/watch some football. I love college football. I grew up going to BYU and Utah Games. Went to BYU and UTAH football camps and Now I live in Colorado close to Air Force and CU and take classes at Colorado State. I am a UTE first but love to watch and cheer for everybody else...depending on who they are playing. I hope the Cougars do well and I hope it is a great season for the MWC.

Go Utes.

• huh
    March 18, 2008 10:42 a.m.

Ed.. do you really think that opposing teams are going to copy and past what we write and use it as locker room material..ha ha Most of us really dont have a clue what we are talking about anyway!

• Gaskin's Buddy
    March 18, 2008 10:59 a.m.

I agree that the hardest games will be in conference on the road. Washington is anything but impressive, UCLA at home could be rough, but at Utah, at TCU, at Air Force will not be easy.

Also, people in the midwest need to change the channel off of the Big Ten Network. There is better football outside of Ohio State. Watch out for Appalachian State!!!

• Anonymous
    March 18, 2008 11:12 a.m.

Its not whether you win or lose, its how you play the game. We all know that. It's the sound of the fans chantig B-Y-U-Cougars in surround sound! It's the taste of a Cougar Tail! It's the Haka! It's the thrill of BEATING UTAH AGAIN! It's 4th and 18... It's the ...

OK, its all those things, but it is also about WINNING!

I'm looking forward to Sep 13 rematch!

Go Cougars!

• Bash
    March 18, 2008 11:12 a.m.

Coug fans come on!!! Of course we are gonna run the table. Nobody on the schedule can beat the cougars. Home or away. Have a little faith. Last year we were a couple plays away from being undefeated and we really weren't that great of a team in my opinion. This year our offense is stacked with experience and we will go undefeated. And depending who we play in the BCS will be the difference on our chances of snagging a bcs victory

• hmm
    March 18, 2008 11:31 a.m.

CO Cougar.. Worrying about week to week is the players job..BYU will be the media darling and already is the media darling for the team to Bust the BCS this year. Be glad they arent clammering over TCU like they did last year when everyone knew TCU had no offense to go with its great defense. So as fans enjoy the attention cause its been earned over the past two years with BYU winning back to back MWC titles. There is still room to grow for BYU obviously. The defense has a few questions but will still be decent.

• re: college football
    March 18, 2008 11:29 a.m.

Yawn. Wake me up next month when the NFL schedule comes out. Now that's something worth getting excited over.

• True Blue
    March 18, 2008 11:32 a.m.

Washington will be the fight of our lives. It is one of the toughest places in the country to play, and we've never won up there. The great 1996 team lost in Seattle.

If the new kicker is a good as they say he is, it might give us an edge.

Norm Chow's return to Provo is also looking like a nightmare coming true. Better be ready to fight it out.

I'd take 9 and 3 and a piece of the conference championship right now and be glad of it.

• To Another Chicago Cougar
    March 18, 2008 11:35 a.m.

I wonder if we know the same Ohio State fans out here. There's a bunch of them. It is fun seeing them jawing with Michigan fans in November.

Another fun story this year will be seeing what Rodriguez can do with the Wolverines. He doesn't have much experience to work with. They're toast if they don't get Pryor.

But turn the channel off the Big Ten network? That's going to be hard, considering Comcast is supposedly adding it to its basic cable lineup out here... so the rumor goes.

• HEY SC HATERS
    March 18, 2008 11:38 a.m.

YOUR NOT A SC FAN, you don't know trojans football, , don't makeing comments about a school you don't don't know anyhting about. When the Buckeyes come into the colisuem this season they are going to feel the speed and power of our Trojan football this year. We have a ton of speed this year followed by a nasty lionebacker corp with Rey,Cush,Sevite alum Galippo or Cambell. This defense is nasty or for real. They are going to bring it this year so hold on.

• Heisman
    March 18, 2008 11:44 a.m.

Any predictions, anyone? Who is left after the draft this year, anyway? Seems like everyone is gone.

• Cougar Alum in Chicago
    March 18, 2008 12:16 p.m.

To "Hey SC Haters,"

Nothing personal against USC, man. I'm just calling it like I see it. Don't get me wrong, USC is unbelievably talented, but you've got this "too many cooks in the kitchen" thing going on (think Yankees) and some serious issues at quarterback. Not to mention... NORM CHOW ain't there anymore! You might be a 2 loss team (1 to OSU, 1 to UCLA).

Make that 3 losses. STANFORD OWNS YOU.

• Concast-hater
    March 18, 2008 12:19 p.m.

I can't wait for the satelite deal to go through.

Last year Bronco kept saying all year Max still needed to be controled or restrained. Bronco stated as Max progresses he will give Max more freedom to change plays and such. I hope Max has progesses enough that he earn more trust from Bronco.

• Not so fast
    March 18, 2008 12:26 p.m.

Before y'all talk BCS you gotta beat the Aggies in Logan. That game could be your spoiler this year!! ;)

• Concast-hater
    March 18, 2008 12:30 p.m.

I hope Fui is losing some weight, so he can run a little faster. Last year was sad to see his performance.

• Anonymous
    March 18, 2008 12:32 p.m.

"hey sc haters"..who are you talking to? I just said they would beat Ohio State! I do know about USC. Traveled to a few games last year and know all about their top line backing core. Rey Maulaluga is the man! They return a lot of great talent. Joe McNight a fav to watch. I think at QB they will be fine as well whether it is Mustain or Sanchez (I hear that it will most likely be Sanchez). Good luck to your Trojans this season..I might even make it down to LA for the big USC/Ohio State game..if not that one definitley another!

Fight On!!

• BlueCoug
    March 18, 2008 12:52 p.m.

One game at a time. Quiet confidence, but...

I'll wait to see if BYU can beat Washington AND UCLA, and finish September undefeated, before I get too excited about a possible BCS run.

Better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to shout it from the housetops and remove all doubt.

BTW, before any start questioning my confidence in BYU football, I stayed to the end of the BYU-SMU game, still expecting them to win; sat in the middle of the Crimson Club in full BYU blue apparel at the last BYU-Utah game in Salt Lake. I'll be in SLC again this year.

• Good one
    March 18, 2008 1:34 p.m.

Hahahaha... hahahahahahaha...hahahahahaha...hahahaha
    Utah state? A cougar football spoiler? And then you woke up aggies...

• CougarKeith
    March 18, 2008 1:38 p.m.

BCS game this year? Will our Cougars Win the first TWO Games, which would get them a BCS bid should they roll the MWC table for a third straight season. They may not get as strong of a BCS bid thanks to Hawaii getting blown out so badly, but they can get a BCS bid with a 12-0 season. Listen to Bronco, "One At A Time!" The Cougar Nation has HIGH HOPES this year, but will they measure up? I love them either way, and will keep real through to week 4 and we will be OK I think? Let's hope for the best!

• LV Cougarfan
    March 18, 2008 1:41 p.m.

I could care less about BCS talk right now...I just want September to get here as fast as possible! I can't wait to see Harvey steamrolling a Ute in the end zone for a game winning touchdown again! I am extremely interested in how the defensive side of the ball will look this year, especially the secondary. I feel pretty comfortable with the D Line and BYU's linebackers are always talented, but how's the secondary going to look? That's the spring ball question that really needs to be answered. It seems like BYU has done well recruiting a little bit more athletic guys lately, so who's going to step up and make the big plays? I don't think the defense will suffer at all this year talent wise, it's just a question of who will start.

• Re: Good one
    March 18, 2008 1:51 p.m.

Did you see the smiley face after the comment? Wasnt dreaming, just making a joke

• Mountaineer Nation
    March 18, 2008 2:08 p.m.

BYU will once again show what it actually is a good team in a third rate conference. This is not the 1980"S BYU football is irrelevant on the national scene. No matter what kind of season the Y has there will be a collective who cares. It is time to face the fact that BYU along with the rest of that third rate conference has no significance on the national scale. Way to look forward to possibly another Vegas Bowl. Go WEST VIRGINIA GO MOUNTAINEERS. Now that is a real football team with real players and real athletes.

• Anonymous
    March 18, 2008 2:27 p.m.

Chicago dude.. USC with issues at QB? ha. ha. Do you know who they have? Sanchez did a pretty decent job considering he came in cold last year. Also Mitch Mustain, who tore it up while playin at Arkansas in the SEC. Ohio State should know all about the SEC!

Stanford owns USC..What cause they beat them like twice in 7 years. ha. How was that Illinois loss last year eh? Oh didnt USC throttle Illinois in the Rose Bowl.. Who cares about Norm Chow..USC has Sark! I hope you saw what USC did to teams last season when they were healthy..(see games against ASU, UCLA, and Illinois!)

• Anonymous
    March 18, 2008 2:23 p.m.

mountaineer nation..dont take your frustrations of losing your coach out on BYU.. just focus on beating Pitt next year!

• Re: M-Nation
    March 18, 2008 2:30 p.m.

It's laughable that a few Ewet trolls really believe that anybody with any brains would fall for their ridiculous charades as fans from other conferences/regions of the country.

• Get Real
    March 18, 2008 2:36 p.m.

Yeah, WVU is a real football team with real players and real athletes with a real loss to......5-7 Pitt? At HOME?!? A third rate conference is the Big East still trying to masquerade as BCS worthy. When UConn and Cincinatti are among your league's best in football, you don't have much to brag about.

• re: Mountaineer Nation
    March 18, 2008 2:50 p.m.

Oh yes with national power houses such as Connecticut, Cincinnati, South Florida which ya'll added because the best of the Big East left to go to a real conference. Ya'll have no room to talk about a great conference. the big east is no better then the MWC. Oh lets not forget those other great teams Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville. Your top 5 are about the same as the MWC. If the MWC add BSU, Fresno State and dropped WY and San Diego. Our Conference would be a head about the "Little East". You should of dropped the word Big when you lost Virginia Tech, Miami, and BC

• CFB Fan
    March 18, 2008 2:56 p.m.

Get Real-
    You forgot the come from behind near loss AT HOME to Louisville, who the Utes crushed on their home turf! Sure, WVU beat OU, but who hasn't in a bowl game in recent memory? Who else did WVU beat last year? I would love to see the MWC go head to head, top to bottom, with the Big Least on nuetral fields.
    I'm a big Cougar fan, and I hate to say this, but I think that the best team the Cougs will play in '08 will be Utah. I shudder to think that they might steal BYU's thunder if BYU trips up against them or an OOC team. However, I would love to see two 11-0 teams knocking it out in Nov (and of course BYU beating the Utes)!

• andrewute1
    March 18, 2008 3:03 p.m.

I do believe that byu will have a good team, but can they rebuild on defense? Linebackers and db's both lost basically everyone. UCLA will be a lot tougher than most people think, it could be a trap game, even though its at byu. But I do have a strong feeling that both my Utes and byu could be undefeated going into the holy war!

GO UTES!!

• To Mountaineer Nation
    March 18, 2008 3:24 p.m.

Do those "real" players include Johnny DINGLE and Scooter BERRY? Classic internet picture when those two sat side by side on the bench, google it and you'll see.

• Ad
    March 18, 2008 3:44 p.m.

I could be wrong but I lived in Little Rock and got to see a lot of Mitch Mustain during the first part of his freshman season and when they found out he was pretty blah, he got benched for the rest of the year for some dude named Dick. Casey Dick that is. Then he pouted and ran to USC. Man, Sark bit off on a dead fish with this one.

Arkansas football is about like WVU football: two decent spoiler teams hiding in conferences with overblown publicity. Com on everybody, We are Marshal at least when we're talking about West Virginia.

• Settle Down
    March 18, 2008 3:48 p.m.

Annonymous Southern Cal fan, you need to learn to recognize humor. The Stanford remark was a friendly jab. Any team that does not yet know their starter for next season has issues at qb. It may not be an issue during the season, but until you name a starter, it is an issue. BTW, when you can't keep %50 passer Casey Dick on the bench, you're not exactly tearing it up. Mustain might turn out to be a good qb (imo, his mother hen will need to quit smothering him first), but he has so far failed to live up to self hyped expectations.

Oh, and Sark graduated from BYU. Just thought you should know.

• To USC Dude
    March 18, 2008 4:00 p.m.

Sanchez has a lot of promise, but I would have expected a 5-star recruit to pull a bit better than a QB rating of 80 even if he is coming in cold. Unfortunately for him, NORM CHOW isn't there to help him speed up his development. I'm sure Sanchez will be just fine, but will he be good enough by the OSU game in September? By the way, Terrelle Pryor is finally making his decision tomorrow. If he goes to Ohio State, USC should fear and tremble. I've been watching this guy for a while. From what I have seen and heard, this kid has enough athleticism to be a big time difference maker as a freshman. He won't run the show if he goes to OSU, but they'll probably use him like Florida used Tebow when they had Leak, or like LSU used Perriloux under Flynn. Just put the ball in his hands and watch the magic happen. This OSU/USC game is going to be awesome! You've got to love these early season, blockbuster matchups. The back to back Texas/OSU games were amazing. It is nice to see a return of big non-conference games. OSU and USC have guts.

• STANFORD RULES!
    March 18, 2008 4:13 p.m.

USC is totally going down to Stanford again. I'm feeling it. STANFORD! STANFORD! STANFORD! STANFORD! STANFORD!

USC already peaked and is slowly but surely ebbing its way into irrelevance.

Can anyone answer why in the world that program isn't on probation?! Reggie Bush's family gets a freaking house and neither USC nor Bush get even a slap on the wrist. UNBELIEVABLE...

I must say, it was mighty nice watching the Stanford Cardinals work a number over on the Trojans last year; here's to more upsets in 2008!

• CougarBlue
    March 18, 2008 4:16 p.m.

Won't think BCS yet. Even if BYU were to run the table and go 12 - 0 they will get a lower echelon BCS Monopoly Bowl, so that congress will not step in and break up this monopoly that the insane NCAA allowed to take place.

Bronco is right. One game at a time. Don't look past the team you are playing and not the team next time.

Sorenson should give us some mighty help in the kicking game. He should eliminate run backs with his kicking.

It will be interesting to see how the defense develops.

Laughing at all the talk about so many other teams when this whole article is about BYU. Someone is really hard up on some of their comments.

Most comments are absolutely clueless about what is taking place and love to see themselves posted and waiting for another silly-childish comeback.

Go Cougars. Love Ya,

• Cork it - again
    March 18, 2008 6:00 p.m.

Beat Utah again - and I'll be happy. Nothing better than a Yewt fan with a cork in his mouth!

• dear Cougar Alum in Chicago
    March 18, 2008 8:00 p.m.

re: OhioSt beating Georgia
    please send them on down. we here in the SEC have developed quite a taste for Buckeye pie in January! seriously if OS keeps getting slapped around in these big bowls the way they have been some poor SEC team is going to get locked up for child abuse. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ps dear Cougar fans, I love you guys but it is so painful to read your BCS dreams and rants. I say we make a rule no one can mention BCS in a post until BYU has 9 wins. please?

• To CougarBlue
    March 18, 2008 8:35 p.m.

There's nothing wrong with people writing about other schools here. Believe it or not, college football does exist outside of Utah. What is shocking for most of the country is that college football exists in Utah. Let's get serious: BYU, Utah, and Utah State are as significant to the national college football scene as Vermont high school badminton is to the NFL. So don't pull this holier than thou attitude and parade around saying people are hard up in their comments because they find other football teams more interesting and relevant. There's been a lot of USC and OSU talk on this board, and rightfully so. They're the two winningest teams this decade, and are significantly more relevant to college football than a team whose flashiest recruit is a kicker. Reality is that OSU, USC, Georgia and whoever else people are raving on about are most likely BCS bound, and BYU probably won't be. Congress can't make BYU a better football team.

• Re: To CougarBlue
    March 18, 2008 8:49 p.m.

If you're not a fan of Utah, Utah State or BYU, what are you doing reading articles about BYU football in a Utah newspaper? Go find a board somewhere where fans of your chosen team hang out and stop boring us with your stupid rants about how significant football in the beehive state is on the national scene. You're one sorry loser!

• someone cool!
    March 18, 2008 9:01 p.m.

WHAT EVER,BYU L-A-M-E (GO UTES!!!)

• I'm interested
    March 18, 2008 9:29 p.m.

I'll be interested to see if Bronco and the new defensive coordinator go back to a 3-3-5 or stay with the 3-4-4 like last year. I think that will be a sign of which is weaker the linebacking corp or the dbs. I think the line is strong enough... will we see a 4-3-4? College football is the best sport on the planet no question. The pride, the conferences, the rivalries, the school spirit, the time of year. September can't come fast enough!

• Cougar Nation Baby
    March 18, 2008 10:08 p.m.

B!!!-Y!!!-U!!! Go cougars!!

• Palls
    March 18, 2008 10:57 p.m.

I guess it will come down to Dfense for both UTAH and byu. Both head coaches Bronco and Whit are Defenses of minds, so it should be no problem getting the Defense ready. So I think going into the start of this season will be even for both teams. There is no question about either Offense.

It is good to hear that the Cougars had a good practice. Hope the injury bug stays away from the state of Utah.

Go UTES

• PALLS
    March 18, 2008 10:56 p.m.

I guess it will come down to Dfence for both UTAH and byu. Both head coaches Bronco and Whit are Dfences of minds, so it should be no problem getting the Dfence ready. So I think going into the start of this season will be even for both teams. There is no question about either Offence.

Go UTES

• This is the right way
    March 18, 2008 10:59 p.m.

B?Y?U? cougars???

• Go BYU! Rise and shout!
    March 18, 2008 11:15 p.m.

I'm excited for this year. I hope they win all their games. But I think the correct term is "eager beavers," not "eager cougars." Just a small detail.

• USC fan
    March 19, 2008 8:01 a.m.

Its all good man..Things are settled! Good luck to Ohio State next year. If they get Pryor good for them. I wont be trembling. I'll introduce him to Rey Maulaluga..ha ha.. Rey might take care of that intro himself ;). The qb situation is fine. Not too many teams lose their qb and go into the next spring ball season knowing exactly who their qb will be. Most think it will be Sanchez. He knows the system.. Good luck and thanks for talking some football! I see your humor.. its fun to razz a bit! Just like I razzed you about Illi.

Fight On!