Real Salt Lake: Notes: Will 'Dr. Goal' cure what ails RSL?

Real Salt Lake gets high-scoring Scot to help anemic offense

Comments

• College Soccer
    Feb. 27, 2008 6:07 a.m.

Didn't Real or should would call them Un-Real, lose to a college team? I am so glad that millions of tax dollars are being used to help this minor league organization.

• Runnerboy3118
    Feb. 27, 2008 6:51 a.m.

I'm ready to go and watch this season. Can't wait till the end of the year so we can throw stuff like what "College soccer" said back to them.

• ajr
    Feb. 27, 2008 6:57 a.m.

yawn!!! move along now college soccer

• SoccerFan
    Feb. 27, 2008 7:17 a.m.

This signing will be great for many reasons: he's a big forward that can score and he been doing it for a long time. If you read the international buzz, this is a big move. Unlike other season this one Real has done out and signed some top-tier talent for our market. Now let's see what it does on the pitch.
    As for the soccer hater's - go do something else to be bitter about. It's pre-season ergo evaluation of talent. And as for the millions of dollars that are being squandered, that's the American way. i.e. defense budget. Go write a congressman!

• pate
    Feb. 27, 2008 7:30 a.m.

Ahhh, the haters, or is it just one hater using multiple psuedonyms? RSL took a pre-season stumble that no one is terribly worried about given their other performance and recent signings. In fact, it has nothing to do with the above article.

In any case, I'm glad to see Dr. Goal being signed. With the great additions on the backline and in the midfield, this looks like it's been a productive pre-season. I'm looking forward to seeing the real season start (pardon the pun).

• Allez RSL
    Feb. 27, 2008 7:41 a.m.

If he can put his head on the ball for us like he managed to do for Gretna, it might be enough to put RSL into the playoffs.

Also, College Soccer, you're obviously very intelligent. Why don't you use those massive intellectual powers to simply ignore RSL instead of making uninformed comments on these articles? Maybe you can apply your genius to figuring out how the Jazz lost to an 11 win Minnesota team in a game that might actually make a difference in the playoff race -- not a pre-season friendly designed to test questionable strategies and lineups.

• Excellent
    Feb. 27, 2008 7:43 a.m.

Finally a target striker. I really hope this guy pans out. He seems like he could be really good for us.

• Skill
    Feb. 27, 2008 8:32 a.m.

I just hope that all these new guys have got ball skills. The big guy sounds like a tarket but what can he do with his feet. I am looking forward to seeing Williams have a great season. I hope Kreis doesn't do what they did last year and put him on the bench for the first month and then bring him in to dig us out of a hole. It is a blast to watch him play.

• GoReal
    Feb. 27, 2008 9:07 a.m.

This is big news. It appears he was given a lucrative offer and also attracted by the local medical center along with a little nudging from Ian Joy (his mother is from Scotland).

• What?
    Feb. 27, 2008 9:28 a.m.

When did Salt Lake get a soccer team and what does MLS stand for?

• Garth is the Man!
    Feb. 27, 2008 9:48 a.m.

The front ofrfice for Real is incredible! They have added lots of youth that have real potentail. And then to add experience with the likes of Kovalanko and 'Dr. Goal'. RSL is looking to make a long run in the playoffs! Go Real!

• Wonderful News
    Feb. 27, 2008 10:10 a.m.

It looks like everything is shaping up just the way it needs too. The only thing I was worried about was getting a quality striker. I think Real now has the pieces to finally get to the playoffs. Moving into the new stadium this fall will be the final piece.

• GMoney
    Feb. 27, 2008 10:54 a.m.

It is exciting that Real is making some additions that have shored up the defense and may add some scoring. I can't wait for the season to kick off!

• Comments monitored?
    Feb. 27, 2008 11:04 a.m.

Supposedly: Comments are monitored. Any comments found to be abusive, offensive, off-topic, misrepresentative, more than 200 words or containing URLs will not be posted.

Seems they are not monitored.

Many of the "hater" comments are abusive, offensive, off-topic, and misrepresentative.

Maybe Des News should actually monitor the comments.

GO RSL!

• american
    Feb. 27, 2008 10:59 a.m.

I no licke RSL and everting to doo whit soccer. Whut a stupid name fer a game that is plaid with feet. Maybe you dumbos shuld call it football or something like that. Don't the rest of the world call is football? At leest american foot ball is plaid with feet cause everyone runs whit feet. So there! And basketball is plaid whit a basket and a ball, that makes cents. I licke the JAZZ case them got gud guys two. And baseball is plaid whit a base and a ball, that two makes cents. I wundered why it not named batball, that makes cents.

I am american and only licke american stuff.

• Great move
    Feb. 27, 2008 11:32 a.m.

Ignore all the ignorant soccer idiots out there. They know nothing about the sport or how its played but if everyone gave it an equal chance like they give american football, baseball, basketball etc most people would become soccer fans. This is a great addition to the team, I personally felt that Real was already pretty deep at the forward position but this just makes it even more interesting. This is the kind of depth that you see over sees and more quality teams. Seeing videos of this guy online he is the real deal and you, he is quick and strong which is a deadly combo at the forward position. The Real are setting themselves up not only for the now but for the future. This is a young quality team that should be able to compete with any team. The only thing I regret is that I am not living in Salt Lake and am not able to watch this team do damage.

• lamoes
    Feb. 27, 2008 11:34 a.m.

I wonder why people who really and truly hate soccer, continue to waste their energy letting every one know about it. They are wasting space and breath and ought to shut their pie holes. Anyway, looking forward to this next season and will continue to support RSL regardless of record, and I will continue to be a season ticket holder as long as there is a team. Good luck with the season RSL and fans!!!!!

• Consistency
    Feb. 27, 2008 11:56 a.m.

Nothing will help the SL Reals if they keep turning their roster over every year. Feel free to get some consistency so the team can gel and build some momentum.

• JVC-RSL
    Feb. 27, 2008 12:28 p.m.

I understand what you are saying about consistency, but this should have been Jason Kreis's Team from the beginning of last year. Instead, he had to take over when the team and organization was in crisis mode. He brought in a core of players during the transfer window last year that he believed in. Most of that core remains. He has just continued to improve the side in the offseason, by replacing reserve players with guys who will immediately compete for a starting spot. I'm excited to see what this group can do, and I feel that this group of players will be here to stay for a while. I love the new signing. The SPL is a fast paced, physical league, so Dr. Goal should be able to quickly adjust to MLS and contribute goals.

• bjh
    Feb. 27, 2008 12:38 p.m.

Great new signing. I think we have a solid group now across the board and this last month can be sued to help them come together.

• Horace
    Feb. 27, 2008 4:36 p.m.

You gotta like any player who is also a doctor, and can put up 2 goals against Rangers. This season is starting to feel promising. Hope it works out. See you all next month!

• Yawn
    Feb. 27, 2008 5:07 p.m.

Snore.

• RSL Super Fan
    Feb. 27, 2008 5:12 p.m.

The only reason soccer haters post is so they can get everbody ticked off. If you completely ignore their posts, they will have no reason to continue posting on soccer blogs. I am very excited for this year and hope to be able to get to SLC for a few games. "Dr. Goal" will be a major asset to the team.

• Amazing
    Feb. 27, 2008 6:24 p.m.

It looks like RSL will actually be a contender this year. With all their good offseason signings, and with a good coach who will actually be here all year, RSL has a potential to go far this year.

• Bench Coach
    Feb. 27, 2008 6:31 p.m.

Great signing. I hope we bring our fitness level and the ability to play a full 90+ against our MLS foes. Kreis and our staff are doikng well to bring impact talent. i look forward to watching what (on paper) looks like a pressing team with talent to both stop goals against and finish up front. It looks like the long ball will be the exception to getting deep in the offensive third. Waht a core for the future. our young strikers have someone with skill, drive, and the attitude to look up to and model their careers. Kudos to RSL. Let's put ourselves out in the front early in the season...no digging out for a possible post season. Playoffs are enevitable.

• rslfans
    Feb. 27, 2008 10:43 p.m.

good move! go real!

• Hey soccer fan!!!
    Feb. 27, 2008 10:47 p.m.

There is only one of you, an RSL employee who is paid to read the blogs and try and put a positive spin on all the negativity regarding soccer. We have a professional blogger at my work too (The Obama Campaign), so I know how it is. You wouldn't be so hostile if you weren't afraid of losing your job. Do yourself a favor, get out before RSL "downsizes" to zero.

• GoReal
    Feb. 28, 2008 7:10 a.m.

Well, I was going to vote for Obama...

• mdsnhms
    Feb. 28, 2008 9:24 a.m.

Great story. Can't wait for March 29th. Go RSL.

• Here's a thought
    Feb. 28, 2008 10:54 a.m.

We should be much better now that Pope has finally retired. I went to probably 10 games, lots of loses by the way, and it seems like every time we would be winning or getting some momentum and then Pope would let some one by and BAM match over. He had some great skills top notch skills, but his decision making was terrible at times. Ie the 4th of July last year. When you're up by a goal with like 2 minutes to go it's not that hard. Keep kicking the ball to the other end of the pitch and it makes it pretty much impossible for the team to come back and score. I hope Dr. Goal is better that Eskandarian. I hope we can at least not be last in goals scored again. We need offense bad. I hope we do well though

• offense
    Feb. 28, 2008 12:12 p.m.

I agree Pope was good but he just didn't seem to have his head in the game last year. With that said we need some offense this year. I hope that some of these new guys know how to play so that Williams can have some skilled players on the field in order to show his true abilities to assist and pass the ball. If Andy will show up and work hard he is the best player on our team.

• Thank you Freddy!
    Feb. 28, 2008 1:53 p.m.

This is more proof that the best thing Freddy Adu did for RSL was leave.

• Well Obama is no longer my vote
    Feb. 28, 2008 5:43 p.m.

I too was going to vote for Obama now that romney was out but since I see such positive people helping his campaign I may go back to another republican John McCain. Imagine the headlines, "Obama loses soccer votes because of campaign blunder."

• Horace
    Feb. 28, 2008 8:44 p.m.

to answer the article title, Yes.

• Not Obama Anymore
    Feb. 29, 2008 2:44 p.m.

Well, it speaks volumes about the slimy tactics being employed by the Obama campaign. He just lost my vote and my wife's vote. Thanks for bringing such slimy tactics to our attention.

Voting for McCain now.

• St. George fan!
    March 2, 2008 10:37 a.m.

RSL should have another pre-season game in St. George. Except, this time it would be better to play another MLS team instead of BYU. There was over 8,000 fans who showed up to watch RSL play in St. George last year. Why wouldn't they come back? Not to mention, it has been over 70 degrees the last several days.

• Billy
    March 4, 2008 12:31 p.m.

Good pickup. It is good to see RSL get a target forward. Now it they can pick up a young target forward for the future they will be set.