BYU star reinstated on team

Comments

• cks1450
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:45 a.m.

This made me sick, I am glad to hear that the rogue Bishop was reeled in. Distubring that it got this far really. If I am walton, first thing I do at the end of the semester is find a new ward.

• Re: cks1450
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:36 a.m.

You have no idea what happened, just like none of us really knew what happened to Walton in the first place. Who are you to judge this bishop? I signed the honor code I by doing so committed to obeying all of the requirements such as attending church EVERY Sunday.

• Andrew
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:43 a.m.

I'm sure theres more to the story that we don't know, and I'm glad, thats the way it should be. But some bishops need to realize that if kids are making mistakes getting them to transfer to another school may not fix the problem. In fact it would probably make it worse and the person bitter towards the church. BYU is not for perfect people, just like the church is not for perfect people. Lets allow room for repentance. I've known people that will just lie to get their endorsement because they think their small problems will get them kicked out of school. Is that what we want?

• ldsbyufan
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:54 a.m.

justice is served

• Hmmmm
    Feb. 8, 2008 2:10 a.m.

It's nice you can judge the actions of a bishop without knowing anything, other than what was in the newspaper. Calling someone a "rogue bishop" is not only ridiculously harsh, but extremely disrespectful.

• Metaphor Man
    Feb. 8, 2008 2:19 a.m.

Glad to see even BYU's pencil has an eraser!

• SJ Bobkins
    Feb. 8, 2008 2:51 a.m.

I was open and hoping for more info in this story which should never have been written, especially with the disgusting tag line. There had to be something we don't know about the player or the bishop is an egomaniacally demon. Well, the player is back without restriction or probation, but the bishop....................
    I'm very happy I have never met him. He may owe a lot of folks apologies, most of which, the young man who had his good name trashed on the front pages of both SLC daily newspapers.

• Goober
    Feb. 8, 2008 3:38 a.m.

If a bishop wants respect, he must earn it.

No, we don't know all the details.

But what we do know does not look good for this bishop.

Fanatic members are prone to assume that, because he was "called of God" to be bishop, therefore, he must be infallible. And therefore, there must be something going on with Walton - he must have really been doing something bad...

Your superstitious beliefs lead you to erroneously give the bishop the benefit of the doubt rather than Walton. THAT is religious prejudice, and THAT is what caused this problem in the first place.

How many times do we have to be told: WAKE UP SAINTS! Get your heads out of the hymnals long enought to look around and see what reality is like!

• Too late
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:30 a.m.

The D-News already put out this story for everyone to see. It was a tabloid article.

• Lame
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:39 a.m.

Another reason BYU is the lamest school in the Nation. It is the only school i wouldn't pay for my kids to attend, even though I am LDS. Why does a bishop need to determine if you are 'worthy' to attend biology, economics, etc. makes no sense. I'm sure plenty of kids do 'unworthy' things and still go every sunday, so why should someone be 'expelled' for not going or going to another ward with friends/family?

I wish the chuch would severe direct ties with BYU and let it be a private school not run by the quorumn of 70.

• Not Mormon Here
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:10 a.m.

How ridiculous. Thank God this young man got fair treatment. LDS bishop should be ashamed of himself.

• My Grandpa Used To Say...
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:07 a.m.

"It's a pretty thin pancake that doesn't have two sides." We will never know the Bishop's side of the story as it is not a matter of public record and should never come out in the media.

The "Rogue Bishop" comment shows incredible immaturity, or blatent disregard for the religion and the fact that it is a religious institution.

LDS students go to BYU at a discounted tuition compared to non LDS Students. If they violate the honor code they are in danger of losing that privilege to attend.

I am glad it is the Savior that ultimately judges us, and not "mere humans."

• Dean of Ed.
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:16 a.m.

I think eventually we'll find that the problem isn't with the bishop, but with Walton. Looks like his daddy saved him this time--next time it won't be so easy.

• Mean-spiritedness
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:28 a.m.

Few people will appreciate me saying this, but oh, well. The level of mean-spiritedness in the discussion of the initial story was very disturbing. (I'm also "Telegraph" there.) People ignored the fact they were hearing the bishop's and stake president's words FOURTH-HAND and fired away vicious diatribes against those eccelesiastical leaders, men they've never met and wouldn't know from Adam. Other people questioned this young man's character without knowing him, either. Sad.

I'm glad in this case that the leaders apparently did see reason and withdrew their hasty judgment. Hey, it happens. Church leaders, baseball players and their families, and BYU personnel are human beings. Human beings sometimes/often make mistakes. *Decent* human beings eventually recognize that fact and work out their problems like adults WITHOUT trying to assassinate each others' character. Other people ... um, well, let's just say they give "Rise and Shout!" a whole new meaning.

Walton's "natural" choice: Transfer to Oregon State, Arizona State, or another high-profile, top-flight baseball school. Instead, he worked it out. Congratulations to him and the others. Maybe all those snipers on the previous forum and their sympathizers can put aside their spite and bitterness and do the same?

• Conejo
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:37 a.m.

I don't hink you have to go to church EVERY SUNDAY to be eligible for BYU. There are legitimate reasons to not go to church. If your wife has a baby on a Sunday are you going to say "sorry honey, I need to leave and hear about how to be a better home teacher". Yeah right.

• Good for him
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:39 a.m.

Good for Mr. Walton. I wish him well and hope those who mishandled the situation learned from just how ridiculous they appeared in jeopardizing this young man's future.

• Judge-Not
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:38 a.m.

Happy to have Kent back in school! What ever happened is behind us now, and Kent can get on with his education and baseball playing again! Coach Law is an outstanding coach, and is a great example for his players.

CAC

• Grateful for a fair process
    Feb. 8, 2008 6:00 a.m.

This is wonderful news. I'm sure this entire ordeal would have been better handled privately and had the same outcome. The Tribune and DNews should been more responsible in selecting a story to print. Some things are better off left private. There are many situations that occur like this at BYU. But this only made the papers because he was a celebrity student. In any case, I'm happy for this young man.

• cal mormon
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:55 a.m.

i attended church exactly 2x as a freshman at BYU. 100% church attendance is not a requirement for acceptance or continued enrollment at BYU. and if a non-member does not attend church 100%??the honor code is just that -- not a covenant to attend church every sunday. the more BYU does this kind of stuff, the more difficult they make it for themselves to attract top LDS students and LDS student-athletes -- let alone good kids who are not LDS! i hope BYU remembers that there is a very large alumni network which doesn't appreciate this kind of publicity! BYU Admin -- you can control negative press by not making stupid decisions that are picked by the media and drag all of us down. please purge the admin team to get rid of the "tenured" hicks from utah co. and hire some professional admin -- some that have actually worked in the real world!

• RE RE Cks 1450
    Feb. 8, 2008 6:11 a.m.

I go to church every week because I individually feel it is right for myself, and for my family. I know many who go just to please someone else. (aka some byu students that sign the honor code). So please don't give me that "oh I signed the honor code so I go every sunday". By saying that you are telling me that you as an individual dont want to be there.

• ed smith
    Feb. 8, 2008 6:34 a.m.

Just as I don't know the specifics of what got the endorsement removed and Kent Walton's elligibility revoked, I don't know the specifics of the Bisho's decision or even the action actually taken by him which resulted in this issue. I wonder how outraged those would be who have slammed this Bishop without information, if they were branded as he has been by them. It amazes me at how opinionated people here have been without evidence and information, and most of them from an institution of higher learning which supposedly values cognitive thought.

• both sides of the story
    Feb. 8, 2008 6:41 a.m.

I'm sure that both sides have learned (hopefully!) some valuable lessons. I know this Bishop (no -I am not a member of this ward), and I know enough to know that you (cks1450) don't know what you are talking about. This whole story reflects more upon all of us who are so quick to judge the situation, without access to most of the facts of this case. I have great respect for the many Bishops on campus who spend hundreds of hours of their own time to help young people at an important time in their lives. It is, I am sure, a thankless job -at times. We should, charitably, withhold judgment and give the benefit of the doubt. I am happy to see the student returning to school -I truly am happy. I also think we should not vilify this Bishop, or any Bishop, who makes a best effort to serve in this capacity.

• JUSTICE
    Feb. 8, 2008 6:43 a.m.

I don't know the full story, but I am extremely pleased by the outcome...sounds like a few people realized their mistakes and made good. Too bad this kid was pulled throught the mud in the process, but at the end of the day it all worked out. Perfect example of a just society!

• Why don't we
    Feb. 8, 2008 6:48 a.m.

just let this story die. None of know what REALLY happened. Nor does it matter. Let the kid play and hope he does well for himself.

• nottyou
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:09 a.m.

Hey Lame, If your kids spell like you do, they'll never get into BYU anyway...nothing to worry about.

• Hold on a minute
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:25 a.m.

People seem pretty quick to judge the bishop. All we know is what was said, and not what went on behind the doors of the bishop's office. He may have been guilty of much more than what was reported. BYU may have, once again, bailed an athlete out, or it may have been a mistake by the bishop. Therein is the rub. No one except the bishop, BYU, and Walton knows exactly why the bishop withheld his ecclesiastical endorsement of Walton and I don't think we've heard all three sides of it, similarly no one knows what Walton did, and no one knows what BYU did or didn't do to get him reinstated. Only thing we know is that he was out and now he was in. Whether a mistake was made before, or a mistake has been made to reinstate him is only food for thought for idiots who think they know it all and are want a forum for their opinion.

• To Lame
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:24 a.m.

As a U grad with 4 out of 4 kids graduating from the Y, there isn't a school that I would rather have them go to. Too bad you don't know what you are talking about. The church to serve ties? The church owns the school. Duh? I'm sorry your kids weren't able to get accepted into BYU. Bitter, bitter, bitter! By the way, each of my kids loved the experience and have gone on to graduate/law schools elsewhere and guess what? They loved that experience too. Narrow mindedness never was happiness.

• Release that Bishop!
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:33 a.m.

Now, can we suspend that bishop?

• I love BYU
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:38 a.m.

I am, once again, AMAZED at the absurd chatter about the requirements to attend BYU. If you don't like the requirements or don't agree with them then don't attend BYU! And if you don't choose to attend BYU, then why do you care what the requirements and expectations are?! As for BYU making it difficult to attract top students and athletes, LDS or not (per cal mormon), what are you talking about. The idea is that BYU is a great school, offering up a great education and some pretty good athletics to go along with it all. For those students and/or athletes that may have complaints, I say again, DON'T ATTEND BYU IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT IS HAPPENING THERE! There are plenty of students that would like to be there and can't get in due to space available. If there are complainers there, then let them go and make room for those that WANT to be there .

• Renton, WA
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:36 a.m.

It seems that there are a number of people who have commented on this who are without sin themselves. Since they are throwing stones here are they not perfect. What did the Savior say? "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

• cgbyu
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:37 a.m.

I think this shows that when you give the system a little time, and you have good students with a good attitude, it all turns out just fine.
    I do think someone over-reacted about his church attendance.

Apparently Kent is a really good kid with the same values we expect at BYU.

Congratulations to Kent for enduring the process and being committed to the ideals that BYU stands for!

• HE IS NOT A ROGUE BISHOP
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:43 a.m.

I'm in this guy's ward. I've never seen him before. I don't know the whole story any more than the rest of you know it, but don't judge a man you've never met.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:39 a.m.

There ISN'T more to the story than we know. It was about church attendance. The Bishop and stake President Kearl (who is a hard liner) wouldn't sign the endorsement, the family appealed and won.

BYU has athletes kicked out all of the time and we know exactly why each and every time (see Ronney Jenkins and Marcus Whalen).

If there were more to the story (sex, drugs, cheating, ect) we would know about it.

• What?
    Feb. 8, 2008 7:49 a.m.

Dear Lame, your comments are exactly that. The Church should cut ties with BYU and let it be a private institution. I have heard some ridiculous statements over the years and this has to rank among the top.

Dean of Ed. Oh, if you only knew, you would not have made such a statement.

Appropriate church leaders intervened, and corrected a mistake. Can't divulge all I know, but Kent is not the story, what happened should be the story.

• Mop
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:18 a.m.

Is the track guy who assaulted someone with a mop back as well?

• zzzzz....
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:16 a.m.

baseball is a boring sport...

• cks1450
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:20 a.m.

I went to byu, I will admit there were times when I did a lot of ward hoping in hopes of meeting a wife. As lame as that may sound to some out there, my bishop did not pull my endorsement. He did pull me in to try and meet me and bring in to the fold. If the only reason the pulled his endorsement was for attendance I question that.

If he is not a rogue bishop, why did his decision get overturned ? It obviously wasn't inline with a higher church officials view on the matter.

• The Rock
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:21 a.m.

Bishops are very reluctant to pull an ecclesiastical endorsement. I have never met or heard of a Bishop who had a desire to hurt people. If he pulled the endorsement he probably had good reason to do so. Many students attend a different ward from the one they lived in (girls do that to boys). Perhaps that is what this kid was doing. The Bishop probably tried to talk with the young man about it many times and when nothing worked, he did what he thought he had to do. Pulling the endorsement my have been the best thing for him. It got his attention and he may have been required to make some changes.

There are many wonderful kids who are willing to follow the rules but cannot go to BYU because there is not room. The rule breakers are taking opportunities away from people who want to be there and will follow the rules. Why should my tithing money be used to pay their tuition when my child can't get in due to lack of room"

Judge Not!

• anyone
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:27 a.m.

were you there last week then? because i sure saw him there when i visited....

• Rouge Bishop/Lame University
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:36 a.m.

There were two things that combined to make this the fiasco that it was. An apparent rouge bishop who did not have or know all the facts before taking such a severe action. And a lame university that allowed this extreme action to take place before it apparently knew all the facts. As a Ute fan, I would love nothing more that to have this same "process" apply to the football and basketball team. I am sure the team would be totally depleted. But we all know that will never happen. What was Jim McMahon's church attendance record?

• Rebel
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:40 a.m.

Sorry, but this whole thing sounds to me like a bad mistake caused by an overzealous church leader. Several have asked us not to judge. This young man was certainly judeged. If a mistake wasn't made why was the young man let back in school? For some of you that think church leaders don't make mistakes, guess what? They're human.

• What happened to responsibility?
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:41 a.m.

Its amazing to me how so many people are calling the bishop names and saying how HE almost ruined the kid's career. The bishop was just doing his job and following the guidelines set forth. The young man chose to go to BYU and agree to an honor code. If he breaks it then HE is the one who has chosen to ruin his career, NOT the bishop. In any case, we don't know what really happened. The only reason we are speculating about the church attendance is because the father mentioned that in the article. I hope that the young man really deserves to continue at BYU. Had this been just your everyday student, he still would be expelled. I hope the athlete really should be back and isn't just back because he's an athlete.

• Fredd
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:39 a.m.

I'm not LDS and am not particularly fond of the LDS religion, I like the people fine though. Here's what an outsider sees:
    1. He did NOT violate the honor code.
    2. The decision was reviewed prior to the player losing his endorsement.
    3. The Bishop was over ruled.
    Here's my conclusion. If the articles hadn't been printed I doubt this would have been over ruled since it was reviewed prior to be implemented. The Bishop was wrong in his decision or the entity that over ruled is wrong. I'm assuming the Bishop was wrong. Doesn't make him evil or bad. He enforced something and it made a stink in the papers and others decided it could be handled differently.

• CLASSIC BYU!!!!!!!!
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:51 a.m.

You gotta love this. Huge story on the front page when this clown gets kicked out of school for not obeying the honor code. BYU has to show that they take this thing seriously right? Wrong, "sweep that honor code under the rug baby, we got our pub for enforcing it, now lets quietly let the kid play even though he broke the MIGHTY HONOR CODE." Cougars, you are lame. I never want to hear another brag about you beating anybody. You flat out cheat. Your athletic department is a disgrace to the church. I think that all the coaches and AD should be kicked out of the school rather than this kid. They are the ones doing all the sweeping. Don't believe me, ask Mekeli Wesley! At least Tai Wesley has some sense.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:03 a.m.

That is why I do not like BYU....FLIP FLOPPERS and to much SELF RIGHTOEUSNESS!!!!

The church is true and is perfect, but the people in it certainly aren't. I guess that is why we have the gospel and the church to make good men better. But sometimes it is a little much when people become overzealous!

• Puzzled
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:01 a.m.

The root cause of this whole fiasco is that the newspapers sensationalized an incident that should have been a private matter! Please don't injure people just to sell a few more papers.

• Megan
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:09 a.m.

I can guarantee that it wouldn't have been made such a big deal if he wasn't a "star" athlete so once again we are staying, if you are a "star" you get away with more than if you are a "regular" student. Sickens me......
    He signed the honor code..he know what he was doing we he signed on. My advice to people that don't want to follow the honor code.......GO FIND ANOTHER UNIVERSITY! Not that hard...

• U of U fan
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:15 a.m.

Follow the Prophet: Go to the University of Utah!
    BYU is ridiculous. I agree with the one who says the church is true and perfect. BYU is a mess! I would not
    recommend anyone to go to BYU. What is worse is these parents that try and force all their children to go to BYU or be a shame to the family. That is completely contrary to the teachings of the church. These BYUians are a disgrace to the church and I hope people understand they are separate.

• Kjaerbye
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:16 a.m.

Rogue Bishops/Stake Presidents in the church like this put a bad taste in the mouth of non LDS people. For this same kind of event that happened to me at 18, I left BYU, had my name removed from the records of the LDS church and attended the U of Colorado, Boulder. It was many years later when I was married that I came back to being LDS again. It was a total shock to my faith and belief in the LDS church at that age. It goes to show "although the church is perfect because it's Christ's church, many of those who serve in it are not, and need to repent when they offend and or do wrong to others"!

• Great School
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:24 a.m.

All the information we know came from the father, and it isn't a lot. Bottom line is that we don't know what went on.
    I graduated from BYU, experienced great people and some not as great. Just like any other place, What a surprise, eh? For those of you who don't like BYU, don't go there and don't send your kids. There is no shortage of people wanting to attend who can not.
    As for close mindedness; when was the last time you talked about religion in your biology class at the U or anywhere else? Religion and biology, chemistry, english; I've experienced all of it at BYU, and it was a great learning experience. It is true that the U of U and other universities have great research programs, but I feel that there are things you can do at BYU that can not be done anywhere else. They all have a rightful place in society.

• unbelievable
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:29 a.m.

You truly are a weird people.

• Mean-spiritedness II
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:25 a.m.

Ah, I see there are still "judge the bishop," "judge Walton" comments here. All I have to say that I haven't said before is this: I honestly hope and pray I'm never falsely accused for a crime in Utah, put on trial, and forced to face you people on my jury. I might as well proceed directly to my stoning -- especially if the crime is for something *really* heinous, like wearing red to a BYU football game.

There's an interesting saying that I hear some people in Utah have heard of: Judge not, that ye be not judged. Sound familiar to anyone? Some people, I hear, even have the audacity to TRY stuff like that. Or follow the example of the Man who taught such things and other weird stuff, like charity and forgiveness. His name comes up sometimes at BYU, too, I think. Perhaps not often enough.

Do you people who continue to vent your spite and bile on the basis of HEARSAY realize you're truly embarrassing yourselves? Just thought you might like to know!

• Re: Responsibility
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:36 a.m.

As many have mentioned, we don't know what happened so we should not judge. I agree, but just wanted to make one point. Your comment regarding his status as an athlete giving him preferential treatment in reinstatement is a little shortsighted. It was likely also the reason for having his endorsement withdrawn in the first place. Many who know the leaders in this case have commented about their dislike for athletes. Many 'everyday students' have already commented that their own church attendance was worse than Walton's and never had their endorsement withdrawn. We don't really know if the fact that he's an athlete had anything to do with his expulsion or reinstatement. So, let's not just assume either way.

Glad this ordeal is over and good luck to Walton and BYU.

• AZ Dave
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:45 a.m.

If the dude couldn't hit or an average student, he would be going to some JC now. Looks real bad

• SF Blue
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:45 a.m.

It's amazing that even Mormons are attacking this Bishop and a school. It makes me sad that LDS members do not recognize the great mission in which the school provides. Just as an exaples during the las vegas bowl. The announcers talked about mission work for quite a while. This is great! You don't have to root for the teams, but you should support the school and why it is so important to the church, the students and the education they receive. For every negative story about BYU there is many more positive.

• BYU Haters
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:45 a.m.

coming out of the woodwork!! When he was kicked out you guys were freaking out about the stupid honor code.....now you are freaking out that they don't enforce it!! you guys need to get a life and quit giving so much devotion to a institution you don't like. Take control of your lives and quit whining about others.

• Ignorance really does breed hate
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:45 a.m.

Here come all the presumptuous speculations, from people who are supposedly not self-righteous and don't make incorrect judgements of others. Ironic! You're pretty much telling BYU that you know better (Your way is more righteous, so-to-speak) and without knowing all the details you are judging BYU, a bishop you don't even know, and a baseball player you don't know. HYPOCRITES!

BYU set guidelines that if followed, can help to look after its students. The Bishop followed those guidelines. Bishops look after members of their ward by accounting for them. When a bishop doesn't see someone enough to account for that person, it is out of genuine concern that the bishop accounts that fact instead. The result: the student went through the process outlined to regain proper status, and as noted in the article, the university showed care for its student and helped to get the student back on track.

Walton has no problem. The Bishop has no problem. And BYU has no problem with it. Why do you?

You people don't know BYU's rules. If you did, you would see nothing wrong with the way it looks after and helps its own to follow those rules.

Just drop it!

• Bcsrevolution
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:59 a.m.

I am a Mormon and I go to church every week. I also graduated from byu and I never missed one day of church or school! I have now checked into a mental institute and it is really nice because we have church services!

• Mike Waters
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:58 a.m.

This Bishop and young man have both now suffered public humiliation; however, in the end the situation was resolved correctly. That leaves unresolved quiestions about how many people are still out there who have suffered or continue to suffer from the inconsistent application of church discipline. Lives can be destroyed when the system functions improperly.

• A Former Campus Bishop
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:00 a.m.

The only way that this young man would be allowed to enroll is for the bishop to reinstate by signing his ecclesiastical endorsement--he is not a rogue bishop. The administrators certainly wouldn't override the authority of the bishop in this case; and it's been my experience that students always receive sufficient warning or notice if their endorsements are being revoked. Each student also signs the endorsement in which they commit to attending all their meetings. If a ward member isn't attending, he/she can simply let the bishop know. No one questions the character of the young man--he simply failed to keep the commitment he made. Apparently he has now recommitted and the bishop was willing to give him another chance--this could have been avoided if the student would have met with the bishop previously. I know the bishop agonized over having to withdraw the endorsement, knowing the impact it could have on his academic and professional career. However, the bishop knew that he needed to honor his stewardship and role as a bishop for a BYU student ward.

• I.F. Cougar
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:25 a.m.

I know a lot of L.D.S. that followed the prophet.
    After a lame experience at the u they enrolled at the Y, just like the prophet did!

• Austin Collie
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:21 a.m.

Wow, I'm surprised that an athlete at BYU was not living right.

• JTM
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:28 a.m.

I love it, Rogue Bishop what a great title. If anyone thinks attending church makes you a good person go talk to Jim Baker. That bishop was probably a non athlete that was jealous of this guys athletic ability. Glad to see more reasonable minds prevailed. As far as you zoobies saying if you do not like BYU go somewhere else,then stop trying to recruit these athletes. Every one of these guys can go to allot of other schools besides BYU. After hearing about this I hope they do.

• He should leave!
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:27 a.m.

If I was this young man, I'd tell BYU, "Thanks, but no thanks." How can you return to this school after an ordeal such as this? BYU administrators only caved-in because of the bad press. Play ball somewhere else!

• RE:Bcsrevolution
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:34 a.m.

Hey Bcs I did the same thing and I think I saw you at our last weeks church service!. Go Cougars!

• ignorance
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:29 a.m.

Everybody has got an opinion on this subject and it's very sensitive. Everybody thinks they know how things should be down at BYU, or how the church should be run, or how Bishops should behave. Those lambasting the Bishop should stop. They have no idea who this man is. They have no idea about his calling. They have no idea about this man's dealings with this baseball player other than what the media has reported (which is grievous, is a private matter, and should not have even been reported, by the way). They have no idea about the mission and aims of the LDS church or BYU. They may pull out a scripture or two and try to make it fit, but it goes a lot deeper than that. Anyone who has been enrolled at BYU and has taken the time to try to understand its mission would know that this action takes place every single year. The fact that this kid is an athlete at the school has brought it to the attention of those who otherwise wouldn't give a flying rip-cord. Let's try to understand the whole situation before casting stones. Otherwise, pipe down.

• Karl Popper
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:29 a.m.

It is good that the rogue bishop did not ruin the reputation of what appears to be a great kid. Not only that the university and its baseball team were sacrificed on the altar of form over substance by a mullah bishop, apparently rubber stamped by a like minded stake president. Thank goodness reason prevailed.

• BigPoet
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:30 a.m.

No one can say this Bishop acted improperly. No one has all the facts. Its likely that this Bishop was simply being truthful in his endorsement statement. He didnt have enough evidence to say the player had met this part of his obligation and he couldnt state otherwise-he had no facts to back it up. This event simply highlights what was a communication problem between the player and the Bishop. There must have been no touching base with the Bishop about being sick, visiting relatives, etc. Undoubtedly, this is what student athletes, and other students, should do to give their Bishops the information they need to complete the endorsement.

• Re: Mike Waters
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:31 a.m.

As the Bishops name was not mentioned in the article I doubt he suffered as much as this young man has. I agree with you someone needs to get a a grip on some of these overzealous wanna be supreme court judges.

• Entertainment...
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:38 a.m.

that's what the bubble is. GO AGGIES!

• A Couple of Things
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:38 a.m.

I would like to point out that BYU does not and cannot "overrule" a bishop's ecclesiastical endorsement decision. Bishops tend to be reasonable men and have ZERO to personally gain from pulling a member's endorsement. It is not the bishop's personal standard that determines whether someone can or should be endorsed. Part of a continuing ecclesiastical endorsement for a member of the church is a certification by the leader that the student has been and commits to continue to "actively" attend his/her meetings and fulfill whatever calling or assignment is given.

The bishop is not at liberty to relax the standard if the student refuses to obey the Code that he or she has given their word of "honor" to obey. If the student changes attitude and is willing to fix the problem, the bishop is then at liberty to work with them. If not, the endorsement is pulled to follow the standard that (again) is not created by any individual bishop.

No one forces anyone to attend BYU nor to agree to the Honor Code. There are plenty of great schools. It's the students choice whether he will meet the Church's standard, not the bishop's.

• Sam
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:46 a.m.

RE: Megan

So what you're saying is only perfect people need attend BYU? I attended BYU and met a lot of wonderful people. As of this date none of us have walked on water yet. Is it possible that BYU has just a few too many restrictions and regulations? I think it does.

• Derek
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:55 a.m.

First, the source of Walton's injuries was the newspaper's coverage of this story. This would have been a simple issue that got rectified (although a headache for the family) if it had not been for a newspaper chosing to let the whole state know about it. The bishop and Walton both have their roles, but so does the DesNews. They should take responsibility for it just like everyone else.

Second, the term "rogue bishop" is an oxymoron. By the time any bishop becomes "rogue" he will no longer be a bishop. These bishops are tasked with ensuring the spiritual well-being of hundreds of kids, most of which are completely removed (geographically) from their families or any other important relationship they have. Anyone who hasn't been in that situation themselves and judges the bishop is making a completely ignorant judgement, and anything they say reveals more about themselves than it does about the bishop.

I'm glad the bishop stood up and did what he thought was the right thing to do, I'm also glad that the situation got ironed out and that Walton was able to be readmitted. I am ashamed however that the paper created such a ruckus for Walton.

• Rogue Bishop
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:50 a.m.

Maybe this bad boy will start going to his appointed church meetings. Though calumny may defame.

• McKay
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:54 a.m.

I'm just amazed at how much hate there is for the Y out there. Any little or big thing the Y does just gets scrutinized and ridiculed. The posters above who are saying such things as "I guarantee" or "hypocrites" or "it's because he's a star athlete" or "BYU flipflopped" need to get a life. BYU is not a perfect place, it is run by imperfect human beings, and this just in...... they make mistakes and yes even sometimes they change their minds about something!!!! That includes the administration and the students, big freaking deal... I mean seriously, all you haters out there need to grow up, get a life, and move on if you've been soooo offended by something the Y has done. The Y isn't perfect and doesn't claim to be... Get over it already

• Correcting "Cal Mormon"
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:56 a.m.

I think it's ironic and entertaining that so many of these comments make blanket judgments on all Utah County residents, all BYU students or on all Mormons by saying that they are too judgemental. Let's face it, we all make mistakes--let's be happy that all our mistakes aren't printed up in the local newspaper and put online for everyone to comment on.
    The most ignorant statement I read came from "Cal Mormon" when he/she stated the following: "please purge the admin team to get rid of the 'tenured' hicks from utah co. and hire some professional admin -- some that have actually worked in the real world!"
    According to Cal Mormon all Utah Co. residents are "hicks" and apparently unproffesional and don't know what the real world is. How many California transplants live in Utah County? Are they become "hicks" the moment they arrive in Utah County? Are California residents automatically wiser than Utahns simply because they live in different state?
    Debating and expressing your opinions are perfectly fine, but don't complain about others being judgemental while you make blanket judgements on others you don't know in the same breath.

• Zac Collie
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:05 a.m.

I just got a CTR tattoo on my leg--that helps me to remember to Choose The Right and not violate the Honor Code. All BYU students and LDS member should do the same.

• DNews Mistake
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:05 a.m.

I am sorry this story became a discussion about bishops and church attendance - it is only tabloid quality with extremely limited information. This should have only been about DNews publishing the story (and using the stupid headline). For all six of you who follow BYU baseball and even knew who this kid was please quit trying to argue it important information and he was a public figure. NO ONE knows any player on the baseball team! If the DNews had waited until they were publishing a normal preseason story of the team they would have been expected to say that Walton was no longer with the team. That would have been adequate and served their responsibility. DNews has made some huge mistakes lately - what is wrong with them??

• AB Miller
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:10 a.m.

The bishop erred. Nobody but the bishop knows why. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last. They're fallible humans. Fortunately there's a system in place that allows mistakes like this to be evaluated and corrected, when common sense and logic require it. Come on. You folks who are extrapolating more than this simple obvious fact are obsessed. Stop hating. Stop judging. Stop blaming. The athlete seems fine. His family seems fine. Go work out your own neuroses someplace else.

• JTM
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:27 a.m.

People lighten up some guy comes up with Rogue Bishop and eveyone goes nuts. I love it, have a sense of humor.

• wonder
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:28 a.m.

would BYU take him back if he was not a star on the BB team?

just wonder!!!!

• Skeeter
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:33 a.m.

BYU is a great place. I spent 20 years there as a student and faculty member and I love it. Those who hate it just do not understand it.

• True?
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:44 a.m.

With hyper-judgmental bishops, and members commenting here, and everywhere else in the Church... is it any wonder people are dropping this religion in droves?!

And then all any "active" (read "fanatic") members can do is further condemn those who no longer want to participate with a bunch of arrogant judgmental jerks!

Watch carefully, and you will see the inactivity rates continue to climb - like rats leaving a sinking ship!

You call that "true"?

• Southern Charm
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:48 a.m.

Go to church!!! Oh yea, transfer to a different ward too.

• Carolina LDS
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:56 a.m.

I'm glad this got worked out. This had me baffled. What, did this kid commit some horrible sin? No, he just wasn't going to Church enough? Then call him in, counsel him to do better. Are you kidding me? I don't know the whole story, so it's hard to judge the bishop, but sounds like he was taking himself a little too seriously.

I'm in the National Guard and when I was IN THE BISHOPRIC I only attended 70 percent of my meetings.

• Applause and Amen
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:52 a.m.

McKay, Derek, AB Miller, and a few others above--wholeheartedly agreed. I have never seen so much evidence outside the BYU/Utah grudge match... er, game... that so many people are so bitter about so many things. The Waltons, bishop and stake president, and BYU found a way to work it out. IT'S OVER! LET IT GO!

• Re:wonder
    Feb. 8, 2008 11:59 a.m.

Would this Bishop have done this if he wasn't a star athlete.

just wonder!!!!

• To: U of U fan
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:06 p.m.

The prophet also went to BYU... and now he on the board of trustees. Follow the prophet.

• To "True?"
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:07 p.m.

Great rationale, "True?"!! I think we should all leave the Church whenever we get offended! ...especially when a college baseball player gets kicked off the team! Who's with me!?!?!

• Hypocritical
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:07 p.m.

If this kid hadn't been a baseball star no way would the university work WITH this guy. He should have transferred.

• Truthsayer
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:13 p.m.

To True?

No I do not call your comment on this board true, not in the least!!!!!!!!

• AZ Texas
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:09 p.m.

Don't know anything about the specifics, but a Bishop is called to be a judge, so "judge not" doesn't apply here.

• Good work somebody!
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:11 p.m.

Congrats to whomever made this possible. It's a good decision.

• THE FINAL WORD
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:13 p.m.

Regardless of the rest of the details of the situation (if there was more to it, there would be honor code problems), it was the wrong decision to do what was done. Heavy-handed and lacked prudence. Further, the stake president should have overrided the decision prior to the university needing to take the matter into its own hands. While Bishops don't get the credit they deserve, at the same time, lets follow the spirit of the law a little more than the letter of the law.

• RE: True?
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:19 p.m.

Um... hold on a minute. "Droves" leaving? Where in the somewhat reduced recent growth rate of the church do you find that? Just curious.

Since I sincerely hope "active" members generally try to be *more* like Christ rather than less, I don't see it as nearly the same thing as "fanatic." Christ denounced fanatics, after all. But I won't deny that some Mormons *really* lose sight of faith, hope, and charity. (I'd hope none here on this board, though their words make me wonder.) And that IS a key step towards becoming a TRUE fanatic.

I've heard it said that there's a difference between a Mormon and a Latter-day Saint. Think about it. I believe that's true, too.

"True?", I honestly and sincerely hope you find peace one day by leaving behind the obvious bitterness in your heart.

• Confession
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:35 p.m.

Okay. When I was at BYU 20 years ago I went skiing one Sunday instead of going to church. I also did everything my 20+ year old body would do to grow facial hair on the weekends. My hair was a little long in the back for awhile, sort of an covert attempt at a mullet (don't you dare tell my kids or my wife). Thank goodness my Bishop never tried to yank my scholarship/enrollment status/future earning potential/church membership because of it. I grew up in spite of myself and have since served on a high council and in 2 Bishoprics including a spell as Bishop. Sometimes in our overzealous attempt to safeguard the church, we throw the baby out with the bathwater. None of us knows what this young man did, but we do know that it wasn't so bad that the situation couldn't be remedied. I wholeheartedly believe that the honor code is a necessary and important part of BYU, but let's never forget that it's really about people and not some interpretable set of situationnally elastic guidelines. It's great that someone, somewhere did have a heart.

• not worth it
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:43 p.m.

This article isn't worth commenting on so I'm not going to post anything.

• In support of the bishop
    Feb. 8, 2008 12:49 p.m.

The guy seems ok to me. For a moment there was one less baseball player in the world.

• re: not worth it
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:02 p.m.

You just did

• lifelong diehard Y Fan
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:06 p.m.

I'm confused. When did BYU get a baseball team?

• babybroker
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:24 p.m.

Sanity returns.

• Mike R.
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:33 p.m.

This Bishop is probably just some young punk that doesn't have enough experience with life and hasn't learned how to deal with people in the real world. A little too much letter of the law. I am fond of saying that the Lord calls some people into certain church positions to gather evidence.

By the way, I checked the Honor Code and the Eccesiastical Endorsement and while it says attentance at meetings is one of the criterion, it doesn't say attendance at ALL meetings nor does it give a percentage of attendance you have to meet.

If this Walton kid was so bad, why didn't the Bishop do his job and counsel with him over a long period of time and work with him on his church attendance?

• WELCOME TO BYU
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:41 p.m.

Sign the Honor Code and kiss your Free Agency good bye! And pay a huge amount of $$$$$$$ to do it!

• Re: Zac Collie
    Feb. 8, 2008 1:58 p.m.

Uh, if you're going to troll here, at least remember that Zac Collie no longer attends BYU, and besides, it was his younger brother Austin who made the comment that put so many people's panties in a bunch.

• First Amendment
    Feb. 8, 2008 2:00 p.m.

It is shocking how many people are blaming the DNews for reporting this story. Are you kidding me!? You're getting mad at a newspaper for not censoring the news. Maybe read the Communist Manefisto next time instead of the paper.

• True?
    Feb. 8, 2008 2:19 p.m.

You all just prove my point. Just can't stop, can you?

• anon
    Feb. 8, 2008 3:21 p.m.

A prayer: That one baseball player can stay as far away as possible from one BYU Bishop(Admission's Office Employee)as possible.(move out of your digs young man and land in another ward). And a prayer for one bishop, that his universe and karma settles down and glides to a more amenable & cohesive nuanced understanding and acceptance of dynamic, diverse and spirited young men and women.

How HIGH did the protests go? And from what pillar did the proclamation offer that this young man was allowed back in the fold? In the corporate world employees would have been let go; in the legal arena, damages would have been assesed - pain and suffering - at minimum. In the BYU-LDS universe it will remain one of those "myriad of mysteries."

Regardless, is was a good call, the right call, the one that should have been made in the first instance. Bishop, is there a laudable lesson in this for thee? Let's hope. What a profound embarassment to the University and LDS community at large.

• NV COug
    Feb. 8, 2008 3:20 p.m.

And tomorrow all of you commenting will have forgotten what this story was even about - so much hate for something you wont' even remember.

Remember that we honor and sustain our leaders - there can be no such thing as a Rogue Bishop. Let it rest already...

• Jambo
    Feb. 8, 2008 3:21 p.m.

My question is why would the kid want to return to the place that turned their back on him over a technicality? If you were unjustly fired from your job and then asked to start again in a week would you do it? And then people defend the action and act like its all good now? Very frightening mentality. Some people volunteer for a lot of abuse without seeing it.

• Judgement
    Feb. 8, 2008 3:53 p.m.

I sincerely hope most of us aren't judged as harshly as most of you seem to be judging everyone involved in this story...especially when so little is known.

• SeeingThe Forest
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:06 p.m.

Looks folks the clues are all in the original story and today's story:

1. BYU took GREAT pains to emphasize more than once that "the honor code office is NOT involved." READ: NO violation of honor code at BYU, which INCLUDES church attendance.

2. The situation was reported as "pitting the team and BYU AGAINST the Church on the issue." READ: BYU and the team DISAGREED with the ecclesiastical decision by the BHP and SP and felt it was wrong.

3. The family say (in SLTRIBUNE today) that they were called by a church authority WHOM THEY WOULD NOT NAME. READ: an obvious HIGHER authority corrected this foolish decision.

4. If there were "another side to the story", like some hidden sins, the guy would still be out. DUH!

5. I am a BYU alumni and former BYU Bishopric member -- the local leaders have GREAT DISCRETION AND AUTHORITY to counsel and assist students AND to discipline and penalize them. Leadership is VERY RELUCTANT to intervene -- even when mistakes are made. Also, the SP could have been the problem here, not the bishop.

This sad situation occurs far too often to non-star athletes having no help from publicity.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:23 p.m.

People keep commenting that he signed the honor code so that he could attend BYU -- BYU's official statements states that this was not an honor code violation.

• Welcome Back
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:41 p.m.

We don't know the whole story, and don't need to. Probably shouldn't have heard any of it to begin with. But regardless, I'm glad he's back. Good luck Kent!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:40 p.m.

Of course the LDS Church backtracked on the outcome of one of its WHITE LDS athletes. Had this player been black or hispanic or asian, or anything other than white and LDS, then the outcome would have been final. This is why a MORMON will NEVER be president of the United States, you get it? Mormons make me SICK!

• Cougar Fan
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:45 p.m.

Kent is a great baseball player in a good program. Coach Law is a good coach and a good person. If you don't know what happened,quit posting stupid judgmental thoughts! Many former players came to Walton's defense, not just his daddy. If he had done something to break the honor code then he wouldn't have been reinstated. I've never heard of a bishop sweeping dirt under the floor mat for any student athlete. Kent is worthy to be there. Now that this is all behind us, Let's Play Ball!

• John
    Feb. 8, 2008 4:55 p.m.

I am a parent of a former byu baseball player. No one knows more than parents and players how difficult it is to attend church every meeting. Players play 58 games per season(none on Sunday);practice and weight lift up to 20 hours per week; and have to keep up with school work. Because of weather, most games are played on the road. Travel often home begins after late games on Saturday. Often my son would not get back to Provo until anywhere from 6AM to 3PM Sunday. Thanks to the BYU people who recognized some of this unique situation for Baseball players. And shame on the Bishop.

• Art
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:03 p.m.

Yes, The Atonement is still available! Thank you.

• You don't know
    Feb. 8, 2008 5:33 p.m.

We don't know the details of this situation and we likely never will. Don't criticize anyone without all the facts. I wish the young man succes.

• Former Bishop
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:07 p.m.

When I was Bishop I had the same talk with every prospective Cougar. We talked about BYU's requirements and if they couldn't commit to all of them, then there were plenty of other outstanding schools to attend most with excellent Institute programs. Like all private institutions the Church can run things the way it wants. The BYU honor code, Church mission rules and temple recommend requirements are all kept by voluntary commitment.

The only person that really knows what happened is the young man and he is smart enough not to be talking. The Bishop and the Stake President would be breaking confidence if they spoke, regardless of how badly they are maligned in the press. To bad others haven't learned from all three of these men.

• CGK
    Feb. 8, 2008 8:54 p.m.

Good for him. I've been given a few "second" chances myself.

• Fallen Alumni
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:38 p.m.

I just want to say what a great place I think BYU is. People try to do what's right. Sometimes it gets a little fanatical and humorous, but I think most people mean well. I'm glad Taylor gets a second chance. It's hard to stay out of trouble anywhere in this world. I'm an inactive disfellowshipped member that's struggled with many things in life. I remember studying at another university before I graduated at BYU and the difference was like day and night. Most people at BYU try hard to be good Christians. Many other places could care less and academics is the only higher power sought. Despite some of our weaknesses and idiosyncrisies I'm proud to be a BYU alumni and will always love the school.

• Gretzky
    Feb. 8, 2008 9:40 p.m.

you gotta love these sports stories...

• Ice
    Feb. 8, 2008 10:35 p.m.

Below is directly from the BYU honor code website. Every item has a link with further discussion EXECEPT...Participate regularly in church services

It doesn't even say you have to go to an LDS service....

As a matter of personal commitment, students, faculty, and staff of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University-Hawaii, Brigham Young University-Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest
    Observe Dress and Grooming Standards
    Obey the law and all campus policies
    Participate regularly in church services
    Live a chaste and virtuous life
    Use clean language
    Respect others
    Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
    Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

• Ginger
    Feb. 9, 2008 4:03 a.m.

It's a historic fact that Brigham Young and some of his crew played baseball on their journey to Deseret in 1847. That's beyond dispute. He always said that when a university was named after him, baseball was to be a varsity sport. Be glad, it has come to pass.

• Autonomy of a Bishop
    Feb. 9, 2008 9:46 a.m.

Bishops have autonomy and the school respects that autonomy. The bishop and stake president had reason to do what they did, but they are not immune from having to deal with the consequences of their actions.

We should be able to relate our observations and opinions in this forum without fear of castigation by "protectors of the faith." Quite frankly, I believe many in positions of authority in Utah County don't realize the far-reaching ramifications of their actions. This is not evil-speaking, but a fair observation.

I believe because of this incident, BYU will review and change the process so embarrassing incidents like this do not make the headlines.

• Adam
    Feb. 9, 2008 10:06 a.m.

Great news! Best of luck this coming season.

• long time ago
    Feb. 9, 2008 10:41 a.m.

In 1965 I attended BYU. Horror of horros I had a beard. This was before they were out lawed. I had my bishop call me into his office and asked me if I was morally clean. I told him I had not even had a date at BYU. Some times even bishops get it wrong. Let us not judge too strong.

• Where Does it Stop?
    Feb. 9, 2008 1:02 p.m.

But of course, we all certainly still believe that Bishops are "called of God by revelation" and that they are operating by the Spirit and using their inspired clairvoyance as "common judges in Israel", right?!

If this story shows otherwise, then is it Stake Presidents who are immune from error in exercising their official authority? (Oh, but there was that one Stake President...). Or is it General Authorities? Or is it only Prophets, Seers, and Revelators who are immune from making mistakes while acting in an official capacity (like Church leaders lacking clairvoyance to detect Hoffman's fraud?)???

Guess we have to rethink that idea, don't we?!

• Enough is Enough
    Feb. 9, 2008 1:21 p.m.

The deeds are done. The party is over. Time to go home and get busy with life. BTW: Deseret News has published some good articles this week ... and they were not about BYU baseball.

• Conrad Heward
    Feb. 9, 2008 3:14 p.m.

In a first presidency message President Kimball wrote, Every member of the Church is given a bishop or branch president who through his very priesthood ordination or calling is a judge in Israel (first pres msg, Liahona, March, 1983).

Different from us all, the Lord has called and set apart Bishops to be judges of those in their wards. That is their assignment from God.

Before choosing to slander one of the Lord's anointed, remember what the scriptures say concerning it.

Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.

Those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves.

Wo unto them.

(D&C 121:1617, 19).

• Hooray!
    Feb. 9, 2008 6:22 p.m.

Good to have this lad back on the squad. Yes, now we need him to harness his evil and use it for good! (On the diamond!) Go Coooooooooooooogs! All they way!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2008 8:02 p.m.

To Conrad Heward,

Just because somebody has the intelligence to recognize when a Bishop and a Stake President have done something stupid does not make that person a sinner, nor bring him under a curse.

You "stuperstition" is absurd! Try to get in touch with reality. You might find it refreshing.

• Carrie
    Feb. 9, 2008 8:42 p.m.

This is a classic case of spiritual abuse. Once expert says, "Unlike physical abuse that often results in bruised bodies, spiritual and pastoral abuse leaves scars on the psyche and soul. It is inflicted by persons who are accorded respect and honor in our society by virtue of their role as religious leaders and models of spiritual authority."

This is a major problem in the LDS Church, especially for women, but as this case shows, also men.

Something really needs to be done about this. Not all cases - and there are MANY - are able to get the publicity this one got. Instead, the victims of this abuse suffer in silence, go on medication, or in some cases, take their own lives.

Is anyone listening out there?!

• Common Sense
    Feb. 9, 2008 11:09 p.m.

Many posting comments here act like we don't have very much information about Walton's case. We do - just not on the Church-owned Deseret News. The Tribune reported the actions of the area authority, who intervened on Walton's behalf. This does indeed indicated that the Bishop was acting outside of his authority. Out of the hundreds of bishops at BYU, it would be naive to assume that there aren't a few who abuse their power like this one did. Congratulations to Kent for being vindicated.

• Rapscallion
    Feb. 10, 2008 8:47 a.m.

Maybe this rascal will think twice the next time he sleeps in on Sunday morning.

• Helmsdeep(81)
    Feb. 10, 2008 12:46 p.m.

Truth Prevails.......Kent's back...... End of "this" story.

......Roll Cougars........

• Appearance of evil
    Feb. 10, 2008 1:04 p.m.

First, the whole story is clearly not in the paper. Second, the suggestion exists that either an ecclesiastical leader tried to make an example of someone or, once again a "well connected athlete" got someone higher in the system to "fix things." In either case it points to an abuse on one side or the other and the standard of truth appears to have been violated. It is my understanding that of a student body of 40,000, there are literally hundreds of students who lose their endorsements each semester. Do star athletes get favored treatment? We will probably never know the real answer here.

• Cougar Blue in Carolina
    Feb. 10, 2008 6:06 p.m.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have to have a say in something that does not involve them. Be they BYU fans, Mormons or not Mormons. It would be nice to have someone say..."Geez, I hope they can work this out". On this matter, my axe doesn't need any more grinding, it is already sharp enough to fix my world. Perhaps some more time at the grinding wheel would benefit us all.

• TOT
    Feb. 10, 2008 9:45 p.m.

So Cougar Blue, it sounds like you are against people having a "say". Free speech is sure irritating isn't it?

• Tarheel Ute
    Feb. 11, 2008 10:05 a.m.

While not LDS, I grew up in the church, and still have a great respect for the good the church does. This story pains me seeing such animosity. We should save this angst for our true enemies, those that would destroy this country.

People are fallible, the church is made of people, the BYU leadership is made up of people. I suspect they should be allowed to change a interest or position without such in-founded scrutiny.

I do note that the 180 people of have Blogged this story cannot be used characterize BYU fans, or those otherwise who are not, including this humble Ute fan.

Very sad indeed.

• Judge not??
    Feb. 11, 2008 10:27 a.m.

The idea that we are not to judge, in order to then not be judged, is often misused, as it seems to in this case. Are we to then let all those that commit crimes, break rules go unjudged, potentially unpunished? Sorry, fact is our society, culture and basic human nature is to judge other people and situations. And in a civilized society, a family or school, this is required to the maintain peace, a standard, or the rule of law.

We should not attempt however to judge the heart, thoughts or intent of a person; that is left for our own individual conscience and if you are so inclined to believe, in God.

Note: I make this comment in general, not at all associated with those persons discussed in this article and blogs. I wish them all well.

• Ed Drood
    Feb. 12, 2008 6:17 a.m.

TO Suspend the Bishop, who wrote, "Now, can we suspend that bishop? A man who would ruin a kid's college career over a few missed sacrament meetings (if that's what happened) doesn't belong in that office."

That is a remarkable thing to ask. Pause for a moment to consider how bishops are called and approved. A stake president recommends a bishop via communication to the Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. That combined council considers the proposed bishop, discusses the ward and their impressions upon receiving the recommendation. Then those 15 men pray and receive confirmation of the selection before extending their approval of the stake president's recommendation. The bishop is then presented to his ward for a sustaining vote. The ward sustains not only the man called as bishop but also sustains the decision of the Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. Now, knowing that process, if you advocate "suspending" a bishop, are you not assuming authority to judge that lies solely with the Council that selected him? If there is cause to correct a bishop, it will be done by them. Good enough for me.

• Nate M.
    Feb. 12, 2008 11:27 a.m.

To Ed Drood,

Your description of the process is excellent. And it puts the blame where it belongs: on the top leadership of the Church. Ultimately, their flawed choice of this man as a bishop (and all the other flawed choices of uninspired, sinful, bad people in Church leadership callings) is the problem.

I guess we would expect more from men who have some unique revelation from God.

• What Mistakes
    Feb. 12, 2008 11:40 a.m.

Why does a process that gets changed as more information is made available and where valid authority is exercised in initial and further review have to have anyone to blame or be called mistaken.

• Nate M.
    Feb. 12, 2008 1:21 p.m.

To What Mistakes,

Such a process does not need to be called mistaken or result in blame unless the leaders claim divine revelation from God and in-errancy in leading their organization ("the prophets will never lead the Church astray"). Then blame is significant and mistakes are important!

• Ron
    Feb. 12, 2008 3:02 p.m.

Those who know the least, know it the loudest.

Some of the posts were plain way out in left field. Don't guess if you don't know, it makes you look like a fool.

• Non fanatick
    Feb. 12, 2008 3:27 p.m.

RE: Conrad Heward

Remember Jonestown? A good example of blind faith. A la let's all drink poison because our spiritual leader said it's best for us. Aren't we also counseled to pray for personal revelation? Most church leaders are good men and women, whom are very unselfish. They should be respected. However,until church leaders are robots, they're still human. Human beings make mistakes, even highly spiritual ones.