U.S. & World

President Bush mourns Gordon B. Hinckley

Comments

• george
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:24 p.m.

It is a great loss with the passing of President Hinckley.
    It is disturbing that Mr Bush would insult his memory, If only one could believe Mr Bush, and see him as a man with even 1% of the integrity of President Hinckley.

Jan. 28, 2008 12:27 p.m.

Pres. Hinckley was friends with everyone!

• Oscar in Alaska
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:27 p.m.

Thanks to our US President for his kind comments on the passing of LDS President Hinckley. President Hinckley is continuing the great work of our Father in Heaven. It is a a great countty that we live in.

• Marci Moody
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:28 p.m.

President Bush has always been very gracious to Pres. Hinckley and always recognized the important role that Pres. Hinckley played in the lives of millions of people. I am glad for this recognition.It's too bad that we can hardly find any mention of his death in most major news media outlets. I just saw the notice on Yahoo that the head of the Orthodox Catholics passed away. Not a word about Gordon B. Hincklely, who will live in our memories. I will miss him tremendously.

• Sarah, Missouri
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:37 p.m.

Isn't it incredible, the wide-spread acceptance and love of the Church President Hinckley has brought? I too thank President Bush for his kind remarks on the passing of one of the greatest men to have ever lived. We will miss him as our beloved prophet!

• Jody-Prescott Valley, AZ
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:37 p.m.

I am so grateful that President Hinckley is with his sweetheart. They will never be separated again. I am also grateful that our great nation is led by a man who trusts his Father in Heaven, and allows Him to participate in his decision making process. Too bad the 4-term rule can't be put into effect.

Jan. 28, 2008 12:39 p.m.

It is very nice to see the leader of the free world ( President Bush)take a moment and pay his respects to our Prophet. It was the right thing to do. President Hinkley all I can say is thank you for all you did for us.

• Renee
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:44 p.m.

Thanks to President Bush for his kind words of sympathy and comfort. I truly feel that President Bush did respect and appreciate our beloved Prophet. President Hinkley will be remembered well by so many.

• Bess
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:49 p.m.

I was sad for few seconds, but I'm glad that he will be together with her sweetheart. What a happy reunion indeed! We will miss him! What a great prophet! Also, thanks Pres. Bush.

I'm glad the media all over the USA recognized this great man.

• SLC gal
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:54 p.m.

Thank you, President Bush, for your kind words! It is amazing to see the kind of response the passing of the prophet is triggering!!

• re: george
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:55 p.m.

This is a very nice (and sincere) tribute from our nation's President, who has not only honored him in death with this tribute, but also honored him in life with the nation's highest civil award. Thank you President Bush, and thank you President Hinckley. "George" (who posted above), you are entitled to your opinions, but if anyone is being insulting here, "thou art the man."

Jan. 28, 2008 1:03 p.m.

That is a very kind statement from the President. He is a good man and I know he regarded President Hinckley very highly.

• Justin, Texas
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:07 p.m.

Thank you President Bush for your support and respect for the beloved Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. President Hinckley did do much good, not only for Americans but for many nations not limited to our faith. A lot can be learned from him.

Jan. 28, 2008 1:07 p.m.

I would also like to thank President Bush for those kind words about President Hinkley.

• Grateful
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:13 p.m.

I read all these comments and have to comment myself on the fact that they were all kind, uplifting responses. President Hinckley always brought out the best in others and these responses only illustrate this point. It's kind of nice to read such positive statements for once in the newspaper.

• Morgan
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:15 p.m.

In regards to george's comment I have to state the following: I read Pres. Bush's condolences and there was nothing insulting or disparaging about Pres. Hinckley. It is too bad that someone can have so much dislike of Pres. Bush that even when he recognizes all the wonderful things that Pres. Hinckley has done you look past it and want to condemn Pres. Bush because you don't like him.

• benjamin
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:22 p.m.

"kings shall extole him and nations revere"

kings.....or Presidents.

Jan. 28, 2008 1:22 p.m.

Praise to the man.

• Cami
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:22 p.m.

Thank you, Mr. President.

• Pres. Hinckley's legacy
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:24 p.m.

It will be a real test to see how well we follow Pres. Hinckley's constant advice to be kind and love our fellow man. I likewise hope those not of our faith extend the same measure of respect.

We love you, President Hinckley!!!

• Sunny South
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:27 p.m.

In regard to the above negative comments, this is not the time nor the place, if you have any respect at all for President Hinckley to interject political commentary. President Hinckley was liked and respected by numerous people throughout the world who come from all walks and talks of life. We may not agree with them, but we can recognize their respect for him and respect them for their thoughtful expressions. That being said, I too as a member of the Church will greatly miss Our Prophet, I loved to hear him speak and always waited for that little bit of humor that made him so appealing. I hope the Hinckley family will be comforted by the knowledge that so many others share their grief.

• Lillian
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:35 p.m.

Thank you President Bush for your kind comments. I am so grateful to live in a country led by so great a man.
    Thank you for recognizing the wisdom of our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. We will miss him so very much but we know where he is and he is happy. Thank you, again, Mr President. May our Father in Heaven bless you and your family in all that you do.

• Kathy, Fremont, CA
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:42 p.m.

Thank you President & Mrs. Bush for your kind remarks regarding our Prophet and your friend, Gordon B. Hinckley. I have revered President Hinckley as a great leader for most of my life. I will miss him.

• Heidi
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:43 p.m.

I am so grateful to be a member of the Church, and have such an amazing spiritual leader as President Hinckley. I loved him so much, and I have the utmost respect for him. He is a true prophet, and follower of our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have that he is with his wife once again. I know that he is so happy, and at peace. I am so grateful that President Bush has such a conviction, that he relies on his Father in Heaven as well to lead our country. President Hinckley is such a wonderful example to all of us, that we should treat others with kindness, compassion, and love. I hope that we all will remember him and will strive to treat others in the same way. I look forward to the time when I will be able to tell him that I love him, and I hope that until that day arrives, I continue to act like my Savior would, just like our beloved prophet.

• Jamie Forbush
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:47 p.m.

Thank you also President Bush for your kind words. President Hinckley and President Bush have been two great men that I have always looked up to. I too will miss President Hinckley greatly. May we work harder to be more like him. When we meet again, may he be proud of each of us.

Jan. 28, 2008 1:48 p.m.

How grateful I am to have lived on this earth during the earthly ministry of President Hinckley. He truly was a "Man for All Seasons" - a credit to the Lord, the church, the nation as recognized by President Bush and all to whom he so valiantly served. Well done, thou good and faithful servant! We all wish you a blessed journey as you rejoin your dear wife and family who are waiting for you.

• Christy
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:48 p.m.

President Hinckley was a wonderful, loving and optimistic prophet and leader of the church. President Bush was kind in his remarks regarding our beloved Prophet. He was recognized by leaders around the world as a man of integrity. I did notice a "Breaking News" headline in red on CNN's website last night stating that the prophet had passed away.

• Sally
    Jan. 28, 2008 1:57 p.m.

Thank you Mr. President for your kind words. I will miss our beloved prophet and his sweet smile.

Jan. 28, 2008 2:04 p.m.

La Iglesia ha crecido en todo el mundo bajo el liderazgo del presidente Hinckley. En Latinoamerica la Iglesia sigue creciendo gracias a su visin, a los templos y al Fondo Perpetuo Pro - Educacin.
    Gracias presidente Hinckley.

• Kathy
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:04 p.m.

Thank You President Bush for your kind and loving comments at the passing of our beloved Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. I loved him very much, and will miss him..but rejoice in this step he has taken ...and that he is with his beloved wife..... I also thank you President Bush ..to be the first President of our country, for many years.. who dared speak openly of God, your faith in him... prayer..and to know that you used all of these in your decision making...was a great relief to me..... Thank You

• Joe Mama
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:07 p.m.

To the comment regarding the news media not reporting Pres. Hinckley's passing...I live in Texas and it was on CNN last night that I learned he had passed away. It was reported on CNN again this morning, on Fox News and other news media outlets as well. It's been reported on the online editions as well on all major news outlets.

It was a surreal feeling last night when I learned of his passing. It's something we've known would happen, but never really thought it actually would happen. I will miss his wisdom and love, but rest assured that another will take his place and he too will gain our love and adoration as well. I consider Pres. Hinckley to be one of the greatest prophets we've had the privelege of knowing. His memory will remain with us forever.

• Sad in Texas
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:08 p.m.

I am sad for his depature... but I know that we will meet again soon. Til them I will strive to live as he did. My love and respect to President Bush for his thoughtful words.

• OREGON
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:13 p.m.

Thank you President Bush for your kind word about President Hinckley. Thank you for your convictions in knowing that your Father in Heaven hears and answeres your prayers as you lead our country. May be when you have more time on your hands in the coming year you'll read the Book Of Morman .

• RJ
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:17 p.m.

Kind words to recognize an honorable patriot and religious leader. President Bush is truly the kind of man Gordon B. Hinckley talked about many times, in that he is kind and generous. Thank you Mr. President for the loving words of praise and the recognition given to President Hinckley for his love of country and fellowman.

• Wendy
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:25 p.m.

Thank you for yours and Mrs. Bush's kind comments on our beloved prophet President Hinckley. I had the honor of hearing you speak at an AGC convention last year with our two granddaughters and to shake your hand. I knew then in my heart you are a good person. We appreciate the the feelings of friendship you have for our prophet. We will miss him.

• Jason
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:26 p.m.

Jody - "I am also grateful that our great nation is led by a man who trusts his Father in Heaven, and allows Him to participate in his decision making process. Too bad the 4-term rule can't be put into effect"

Heidi - "I am so grateful that President Bush has such a conviction, that he relies on his Father in Heaven as well to lead our country."

Jody and Heidi, please do not tarnish the memory of President Hinckley by using Bush's condolence as a platform to express your own political convictions.

• Relocated Southerner
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:28 p.m.

I saw it on all the major news outlets last night and this morning. And my sister, who lives in Texas and is not a member of the Church, talked to me about it this morning and said the news outlets were being very complimentary about what a good man he was.

With regard to the comments disparaging President Bush for his condolences, I saw nothing ugly in anything he said. He was only gracious and kind in his remarks about President Hinckley. Perhaps your personal feelings about President Bush colored your opinion of the very kind words he expressed about President Hinckley? I thought he was gracious and very complimentary of President Hinckley.

• Different from you
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:29 p.m.

President Bush didn't write that! I want him to voice his own opinion not just facts about the prophet. I know facts--turn on the radio facts flow like water!! Why doesn't president Bush say something in his own words...

• Juan
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:34 p.m.

Being a Hispanic member of the church I will always remember President Hinckley for his love towards all men and in particular towards those of us from Latin America. I learned of his death about an hour later. Our local Spanish news on TV in Houston carried it last night and early this morning as well as the English stations. One of the Spanish radio stations reported it and the comment wast made about the church's spots on TV and in the readio about families. We will greatly miss President Hinckley.

• Alisa
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:43 p.m.

These were sweet, kind words. People have a way of knowing when they are in the presence of a truly great man. I think President Bush knew this. I didn't even have to be in his presence to know he was a truly great man. I felt it when he spoke.

• Maureen
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:43 p.m.

Our Prophet is home now. May you rest in peace and in the loving arms or our Father in Heaven. You have served us with love and understanding in a time when we needed it all over the world. Thank you Pres. and Mrs. Bush for your prayers. May all the leaders of the world feel these prayers today and forever.

• Bob Pomeroy
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:48 p.m.

It figures that W would call him Gordon. I remember politicians in years gone by being castigated for referring to "David McKay". W's ignoring the honorfics says a lot about the sincerity of his comments.

• Not LDS
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:53 p.m.

I am not LDS, but Pres Hinckley was obviously a man to be admired and respected regardless of your faith. I find it disturbing however, that people like the first commenter, "George", are so obsessed with George Bush Hatred Syndrome that he will take even as solemn an occasion as this to express his venom for our President. Pres Bush's comments were caring, appropriate and showed his personal friendship for Pres Hinckley.

• Relocated Southerner
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:56 p.m.

Politicians very rarely write their own speeches or remarks, but what they would like to say is conveyed nonetheless. Can everyone just stop getting upset based upon their political views and accept that the President of the United States expressed condolences on the loss of our beloved Prophet and leave it at that? Think of him as the President -- not a Democrat, not a Republican -- but the President of the United States and respect that the person who holds the highest political office in our land sent condolences. I was never a fan of President Clinton, but had he been in office at this time and sent condolences, I wouldn't have been insulted -- I would have been appreciative that he thought enough to send his wishes.

• kanaka818
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:04 p.m.

Re: News Media Coverage. There was an complete AP story on the Drudge Report last night. The L. A. Times coverage today begins on the lower front page (A-1)with a color picture of President Hinckley. The text and picture are 3 columns wide X 4 1/4 inches and continue on page A-10 with an additional half page, including a picture of President Hinckley and President Reagan.

• Nancy Velez
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:05 p.m.

I'm Sad but also Happy because he is with our Heavenly Father now and he is one step ahead of us,plus he is finally reunite with his beloved wife and I'm sure they're having a big "Fiesta" on Heaven becuase of his welcoming home and his achievements, on earth.
    We thank you God for Our Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley.

• Inactive
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:05 p.m.

Though I am no longer an active member of the church, I always had a fondness for President Hinckley. He was a great example, a noble servant, and a kind person.

Rest in Peace, President Hinckley. Condolences to his family.

• casal moraes - Brasil
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:32 p.m.

Sentimos pela ida do presidente Hickly, mas sabemos que ele esta ao lado do Senhor... esperamos que os mortos no Irque estejam ao seu lado tambm.

• Angelika Bertrand / Utah
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:42 p.m.

It's so sad to hear. I am not a LDS. But always tuned in to general conference . I found him irrestible intelligent, fun , humorous, gracisious, up beat, down to earth person. Some one who could bring people from all walks of faith's together. I loved him a lot. I will miss him. He was a great leader and a great inspiration to all of us. God bless him and his family.

• AZ Reader
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:45 p.m.

Classy statement -- thanks President and Mrs. Bush. Gordon Hinkley was truly loved and will be greatly missed.

Jan. 28, 2008 3:50 p.m.

I'm glad other media outlets mentioned President Hinckley's passing. I was surprised I didn't see one mention of it on the Today show this morning.

• Relocated Southerner
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:52 p.m.

I don't think it was intended to be disrespectful when he referred to him as "Gordon". Rather, I think it was meant to express a familiarity with him as a friend, as almost all adult friends do when addressing each other, and I'm sure many of the Brethren refer to each other by their first names in private. President Bush is not a member of our Church and, as such, is not as familiar with our terms of respect. When I moved here from the South, I was appalled that members of the local wards and stakes very rarely refer to each other as "Brother and Sister" but most often just use first names. Even the youth here call the adults by their first name, a practice that is almost NEVER done in the South, even outside the Church. So it's a cultural difference, based upon one's position, locale, etc., and I don't see it as anything more or less.

• Bonafont
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:58 p.m.

I am a gay man and not an active Mormon. I do not live by most of their standards. but I loved President Hinckley. What an amazing, funny, kind and loving leader. What an example his life has been for seeking to make the world a better and more loving place. He will be missed. People who are not LDS or those who use the faith as a means of justifying bigotry will not understand, but I believe most of the leaders of the LDS church understand the complexity of life and are loving to all humankind. President Hinckley was one such example.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:01 p.m.

This is the first thing in seven years that Bush has gotten right.

• Love
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:05 p.m.

I am greatly sad for the passing of president Hinkley. He was a great prophet of the church. I hope that we will all have this week in peace and remembering the works of President Hinkley

• Love
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:08 p.m.

We love you president Hinkley. Lets all just remember that he is now in a better place, no cane, but jumping around and playing with his wife. That makes me feel better.

• ShaLane
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:08 p.m.

It is good to see that Pres. Bush is aware of and acknowledging President Hinckley's passing. I find it incredable that the greatest man who ever lived has died and the only thing the media can talk about is who the Kennedy's are supporting for the election. It almost makes me sick. I loved President Hinckley for the great man and great leader that he was, and his memory will live on in my heart forever.

• charlibrown
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:09 p.m.

Shame on you George. This is hardly the time or place for partisan politics. President Bush is obviously much more gracious than you.

President Hinckley was without question one of the great men to ever live on this earth. His work and service continue today and he is no longer separated from his loving companion.

• Jerry
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:10 p.m.

It is interesting that those who like President Bush, take great pleasure in making statements about how good he is, even though that is inappropriate for the occasion, but when someone makes a negative comment about President Bush, then that is wrong and this is not the time for that kind of comment.
    President Hinckley will be missed because he truely followed the Savior's admonition to love all men as equals.

Jan. 28, 2008 4:17 p.m.

Thank you President Bush for your kind words.

Jan. 28, 2008 4:32 p.m.

Was he FOR THE IRAQ WAR or AGAINST IT? Did he COME OUT AND TELL BUSH TO GET OUT OF IRAQ? If not then I guess HINKLEY TOO HAS BLOOD ON HIS HANDS.

• David H. Causey
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:32 p.m.

President Hinckley is a great leader to our country and has blessed us with more temples so we can more easily go to them. He had a great love for all the people all over the world. I'm thankful for the Temples in the south in Baton Rouge Louisiana and Memphis, TN. President Bush was blessed to know him and all the things he has done in his Life. We are thankful for his Leadership and example. May God Bless his family.

• Cheese
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:34 p.m.

President Hinkley,

Though you may have died, I know how you have influenced our world. You shall be remembered in our hearts forever, and to me it is not sad for YOU that you died, for you are with your loving wife, and are no longer suffering. While I am a little sad- I remember that your exaple has led millions to the path of god. Lord, take care of Hinkley for me.

• Corey
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:35 p.m.

Well done though good and faithful servant. May the Lord bless the memory of our beloved prophet, and be with his family as they mourn their great loss. And may we remember these comments are for President Hinckley, not President Bush

Jan. 28, 2008 4:40 p.m.

Judging by this board, it appears censorship and alive and well in Utah. Oh and forget about freedom of speech that kind of thing is against the law in this country!

• Colorado
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:35 p.m.

I want to thank Pres. Bush for his condolences, and I have always viewed him as an honorable man. President Hinckley, Our Beloved Prophet, will be missed by us all, but we know that he shall receive his great reward for his works here on earth. I loved him while he was still here in our midst and I wait for the day I can see his face along with Our Savior's face. I also want to thank all you who are not LDS and who expressed your love for the Prophet also. It is nice to know he made an impact on all our lives.

• Screen Age
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:37 p.m.

Of course there are people who are so negative that they could twist such nice sentiments from President Bush into something bad, but I'm glad to see this. Thanks, Deseret News.

• "T"
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:45 p.m.

This is so gracious of our United States President George Bush acknowledged & respected such a spiritual man as our Prophet, Seer and Revelator Gordon B. Hinkley. President Bush's comments were caring, appropriate and showed his personal friendship for President Hinckley. Our sweet prophet is finally with his sweetheart, where he truly belongs. Just imagine that reunion at 7pm on 1/27/2008...brings such a glorious smile to my face. {:o)

• Sue
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:51 p.m.

I loved President Hinckley and will miss him greatly. I had the pleasure of being at BYU when his wife and daughters talked to the sisters at conference and saw how much he loved them. He was a great Prophet.
    By the way, I am in Australia and it was announced on my yahoo news account.

• GM
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:03 p.m.

Thank you President and Mrs Bush for your heartfelt kindness for the passing of our beloved Prophet. We pray for you in leading this nation.
    President Hinckley, how can we ever thank you for all you have done for the world. We will miss your humor, we are so very grateful to have felt of your special spirit and listened to your wise counsel. One day we will all see you again, but until then, we will "Stand a Little Taller" and do the best we can.
    Much love

• Chad Hays
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:08 p.m.

President Hinckley will be missed by millions of people. God be thanked for such a man--a prophet of God--as Gordon B. Hinckley.

• BobF
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:16 p.m.

President Bush is not worthy to speak President Hinckley's name.

• Measure of a Man
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:27 p.m.

What an example! We should all aspire to be like President Hinckley not judgemental, but full of love.

• Gilbert AZ
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:29 p.m.

Thank you President Bush for your comments.

• poeticnurse
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:25 p.m.

Anonymous must feel that if things are positive there is something wrong and censorship is in play. Be an optimist. I'm thankful for President Bush and President Hinkley. They are great men for our times.

• Robert
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:35 p.m.

It is such a shame that so many people have chosed to turn this to politics. President Bush did in fact know President Hinkley quite well and talked with him on several occasions. Please have some respect for a man who knew millions and treated each one like he knew them personally. I too am very sad that such a good man (hard to find today) with so much love is no longer with us. Please honor and love the memory of this beloved man and respect his family in their time of sorrow....you would want nothing less...

We will miss President Hinkley very much

Jan. 28, 2008 5:35 p.m.

President Bush met with the leadership of the church several times during his administraton. There is no doubt in my mind that he and President Hinckley were friends. Let partisian politics go. Let us mourn and respect the life of one of the greatest leaders to walk the face of the earth.

• Linda
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:40 p.m.

President Hinckley did so much to help with humanitarian efforts around the world. He made me and my family want to be better people. Thanks to President and Mrs. Bush for seeing the greatness that all of us as church members saw in him.

• Re: Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:45 p.m.

Be respectful and keep politics separate from religion. President Hinckley was one of the most inspiring and influential men.

It was not his job to tell President Bush to pull out of Iraq. He was a religious leader; NOT a political leader.

• Humptydumpty
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:46 p.m.

Anonymous: I think you need a nap...

President was gracious and kind. He can feel the good spirit of this prophet of the Lord. Thank you GwB.

I love you so much President Hinckley! Such a hero.... A true stripling warrior!!!! YOU WILL BE MISSED!

• Travis
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:55 p.m.

I think President Bush's statement is gracious and appropriate. He certainly had help from his speech writers, but that is to be expected - all presidents rely on speech writers. They simply don't have the time to research and write speeches for every occasion. But, just because he had help (as we often do with sympathy cards conveniently bought at the corner grocery store) doesn't diminish the thought behind it. It is a generous gesture that did not have to be extended. Whether you like or dislike President Bush as a politician or as a person is irrelevant. As the leader of our country he wanted to pay tribute to another great leader who has passed on, and send his condolences to those who mourn his loss. I, for one, think it is a noble and grand gesture, and I think it is irresponsible to read too much, or too little, into his statement. I agree that this is certainly not the forum for political bickering. He isn't just playing politics. After all, President Bush has actually spent time with President Hinckley and gotten to know him personally. How many of us can claim that same privilege?

• Scott, Vacaville, CA
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:55 p.m.

Mr. Bush, thank you, I know your sincere in your words and yes President Hinckley was and is a great man. As mention above, I am sad and excited at the same time, he is with Sister Hinckley, his beloved wife of many years. We will miss and but his legacy will live for generations to come. I'm looking forward to The Teaching of Gordon B. Hinckley. What great the lessons will be.

• Jeremy Roberts
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:58 p.m.

Yet another great reason why I love President Bush!!!

• HHB
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:02 p.m.

President Hinckley was truly one of the "great and noble ones" ever to have lived on this earth. I have heard and read many comments that refer to the joyous reunion with his sweetheart, but for me, the sweetest reunion of all will be the one with the Savior himself, who President Hinckley so magnificently mirrored and so dutifully served. Picture if you can the majesty of the scene that was - to have the greatest servant of all welcome one of his most faithful desciples back home.

We love you and will miss you President Hinckley, and can only hope to be hear those words you heard last night - "well done thou good and faithful servant, enter in to thy rest".

• Elizabeth, CA
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:03 p.m.

President Hinckley you will be missed. Thank you for all your years of service and the way you helped in the growing of the church. We love you greatly.

• MC
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:09 p.m.

Great remarks from our President. Wish he could attend the funeral.

• Grandma C.
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:18 p.m.

At the end of the day, as we retire to our private quarters, we are just people - regardless of the jobs we hold or the praise we receive from the world during the day. President Bush counseled with our beloved Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley on several occasions during his term in office.
    No mention was made on the nightly news of the passing of a prophet. But George and Laura Bush took time to send a heartfelt message. I thank them.

• Diane from WA
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:15 p.m.

With great admiration, respect and love I will remember President Hinckley and all the many avenues he fostered. His example of selfless service to all mankind was inspiring. I especially admired the love and understanding he extended to those not of our faith. He was a great example to me of what a man who truly followed Christ could become. As he spoke one could feel of his honesty and love for our Savior as well as for each of us. What a great loss, yet how wonderful it is for him to be reunited with his sweet Marjorie. Surely he will be missed but never forgotten. May the spirit of peace and comfort reign over all those in the Hinckley family.
    I am grateful to President Bush and his wife Laura for taking the time to share their thoughts and send condolances. God bless them.
    Till we meet again at Jesus feet....thank you so much President Hinckley.

• Marvin_Philippines
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:23 p.m.

How I wish to have a righteous leader that will lead the Philippines like yours in the United States. Even to a president of a strong nation do recognize and pay tribute to a good man - Gordon B. Hincley. America will stay strong as your leaders do what Bush did. Because I believe that a great nation is great when there is a true prophet serving in that area. Gordon B. Hinckley is a true modern day prophet. You are always be remembered in the hearts and minds of every young Filipinos. Thank You Very Much for the Good Examples that You Have Shown to Us. We Know that you love the Philippines because you are the one who didicated our Temple.

• Desiree R
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:25 p.m.

Pres. Hinckley was the type of man whom saw the good in people and He saw that in our Pres. We should be like him in trying to live Christ like lives.

• Mark Jacobsen
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:27 p.m.

I have had the pleasure to meet and talk with Pres Hinckley numerous times and every time was a memorable experience. I feel fortunate to have been able to be in his prescence

• Grampamurdoc
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:23 p.m.

I am happy that his trials in life are over and that he and his sweetheart can now be together for eternity. My sweetheart and I will miss him greatly. I would like to thank President Bush for his heart warmed comments. I am a convert to the church and do to his teaching is one reason I'm a member.

And to the negative people that posted on this board I would like to say. Would our beloved prophet like the slanderous comment full of untruths like that, I think not. You all should be ashamed. I have known people who of quit the church for such uncaring attitudes. But you won't have to answer to anyone but our Heavenly Father for turning out his children. So maybe you should think of the price before you say such things. You have the right to your opinion, but this isn't the time or the place to do it. This belong to our Prophet and him alone.

In closing I would like to thank our Heavenly Father for the gift of Gordon B Hinckley's leadership. We will all miss you, until we meet again.

• Mckenzie-texas
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:25 p.m.

God bless President Hinckley and his family

• Dale Newton
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:25 p.m.

To Bob F [assuming that's your real name] -
    What a stupid comment to make at this time. For once can't you just leave politics out of it? I am 100% convinced that Gordon B. Hinckley is just fine with George Bush speaking his name.

• Why such hatred?
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:32 p.m.

I knew that people would again take the opportunity to spit on Pres. Bush, being so full of hatred. If Pres. Hinckley had enough love for Pres. Bush and considered the President a good man with good intentions, what does that say about LDS members full of so much hate? Would Pres. Hinckley want you to try and trust Pres. Bush or continue with your prideful dislike?

• 12-year-old
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:36 p.m.

I am only twelve years old, and I feel unoppinionated but most kids my age don't really care that the Prophet has left us, so I thought maybe I should speak up.
    President Hinckley was a great man, and he will most definitely be missed. I'm glad to know our president had respect for the leader of our church. Thank you, Mr. President, I've always had alot of respect for you as well as President Hinckley.
    Oh yeah, and Amy Bjorge, what you said about that comment wasn't very nice, especially at a time like this.

• Phillip Hotchkiss
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:38 p.m.

President Gordon B. Hinckley is a truly remarkable person!! He has done more for the poor people
    of any nation or any religion than any other Prophet before his time. He started the perpetual education fund. The church relief efforts helped more countries/people during his presidency than any other time in Church history.

I love you President Hinckley.

Thank you President Bush for your heart felt comment. You have a tough job and I have supported
    you in all you have done. Because I felt you were a man of integrity

Jan. 28, 2008 6:43 p.m.

King Noah had no trouble saying compassionate things when Ezra Taft Benson and Howard W Hunter passed away.

• NickC
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:39 p.m.

People, please grow up and stop sullying President Hinckley's name by turning this into a Bush-bash-off.

• 12-year-old
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:41 p.m.

BobF, you should be grateful for what President Bush had to say about our Prophet, just think of what it would be like for us if our president really insulted our religion!

• lwhojai
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:47 p.m.

It's so sad to see the moral decay in the liberals and Democrats in this country. The hatred they have in their hearts and in the inability to allow others to disagree with them is sad. They cannot even let the President give a statement on the passing of the Profit without making it political. I hope all of us here Brothers and Sisters pray for them and ask that Heavenly Father will soften their hard hearts.

Jan. 28, 2008 6:53 p.m.

If you anti bushys express hostility, I don't think Pres. Hinckley would like it. Decatur, Tex.

• mourner
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:49 p.m.

President Hinckley was a true Prophet of the Lord. His love had no end . . .no boundaries. He will be missed. I am glad to know that this world is not the end, just a moment in our lives. It is comforting to know that President Hinckley is now with his wife and others who have gone on before.

• Reese
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:51 p.m.

I am saddened to hear of his passing..He is loved by all and will be missed and has set an example for all of us to stand a little taller and try a little harder. I can't wait to meet him on the other side...

• Nunia-NZ
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:13 p.m.

Indeed our Prophet, Seer and Revelator! Led by Example...He was fore-ordained to lead us in this dispensation and we are so ever-grateful to have been under his divine guidance...We will miss him tremendously and know that he would want us to continue in the path that would lead us back to our Heavenly Father....

• Dolly Soriano
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:33 p.m.

I am saddened to hear Pres. Hinckley's passing at the same time I feel good that he is now with his beloved wife. He's such a great Phophet and a great leader..

• Matt
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:37 p.m.

Is mr. packer next?

• Jim
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:37 p.m.

I to am saddened by the passing of such a great man. most importantally, the comments by Pres. Bush are probably the most intelligent things he's ever said.

• Jim
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:46 p.m.

I to was saddened by the passing of such a great man. I was also impressed by George Bush's words. Probably the most intelligent words he has spoken to date.

• Anomynous
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:42 p.m.

Nice to know even in the passing of such a loving gentle man that "ALL" the politicians are out doing their thing....I thought this was a commentary to the prophet, not a political board.

• Angelina Pollock
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:51 p.m.

We are very grateful that President Bush said something so very kind and nice about our President and Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. We all loved President Hinckley so very much, and will miss him tremendously. He was truly a remarkable man in every way. My family so dearly loved him, and all his many wonderful spiritual teachings. A true man chosen of God.

God bless his lovely family... We love them all!

• LukeAir2008
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:20 p.m.

Prophets and Apostles cant be judgemental. They love everyone. Even those who are in deep darkness! Gordon B. Hinckley was a good and holy man. If you read some of his recent comments, he was fully aware of what was going on in America and in the world. George Bush says he'll miss his friend Gordon Hinckley. Lets hope he'll now follow Pres. Hinckleys example, drop his Skull and Bones, Bohemian Grove, Globalist connections, repent and follow the Lord. Peace be upon the new President of the Lords church, Thomas Spencer Monson.

• Debra
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:28 p.m.

It is so sad to learn of President Hinckleys passing. He was truely a great man, and leader. He will be truely missed by everyone that knew him.

• Memory Lord
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:38 p.m.

Thanks for your kind words Mr President. Our Prophet Was A Great Man & Loved His Family In The Church. He Is With His Heavenly Home Now. We Will See Him Again.

• AudreyElli lds and PROUD OF IT
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:45 p.m.

President Hinkley is one of the best people in the world. Please just say you are sad for his family and friends not attack him or Bush. Bush is great too. We loved him at the beginning of the war.
    President Hinkley we are sad at your passing but very happy that you are now with your beloved wife. It is so great that a person can have such love for another person like he did for his wife. Thank you for your years of service to us the members of your church. It will be very hard to fill your shoes for anyone that has to do it. Like President Kimball whom I once met you had a great spiritualness about you. Thank you for being a worthy example to all the members and all the world. We will miss you very much. Audrey, Chris, and Eric Elli.

• Indiana
    Jan. 28, 2008 9:02 p.m.

Ok, I am going to try this again. I had a complete one and lost the whole thing.... ich!

I love and respect President Hinckley a great deal. I shall miss his wonderful personality, humor and the joy and stability that he brought. I am grateful to President Bush for all that he does for this nation and for these sweet comments... Thank you so much President Bush!

Can you imagine the sweet reunions that President Hinckley is having on the other side of the veil? Not only his beloved wife, but can you imagine the reunion between himself and Pres. Faust and Neal A Maxwell??? How about David O. McKay or Heber J. Grant? Can you imagine his meeting with Joseph Smith and the Saviour? (not necessarily in that order!)

oh well, I thank God for 2 great men, President Hinckley a great prophet and a great leader for the world of the gospel; and President Bush, a courageous and good human being and a great leader for our nation and the world.....

• Sister Christy Black
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:05 p.m.

I appreciate Your loving and sincere comments Brother and Sister Bush. We are all children of our Heavenly Father who loves us all. Because we are children of Heavenly father that does truly make you and your wife my Brother and Sister. If President Hinckly were here he to would that you for your friendship and love. Thank You!!! We love our Dear Prophet and we love that you too pray to God. Thank You!!! Your Sister Christy Black

• Ken H
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:43 p.m.

Thank-You President Bush for heartfelt words that honored President Hinckley he was afriend to all and a Prophet to many.

• Ron in OC
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:08 p.m.

Re: Anonymous. You make some off the wall comments but don't have the courage to use your name. I'm really impressed.

• thanks president
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:10 p.m.

Although not necessary or needed it is very gracious of the President to be so thoughtful as to write a letter regarding President Hinckley's passing. Thanks Pres. Bush.

• MoJules
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:15 p.m.

I think that it is awesome that President Bush would take the time out on the day of his last State of the Union address, to send his thoughts to the Church and the Hinckley family. I also think it is great that Romney will take time out at a very crucial time to pay respect to our Prophet. I also think that there is a time to take off the gloves, and appreciate those who have the respect and maturity to not make insulting comments when we are saddened by this loss, to the others, who couldn't hold back, no comment.

• Boss_DJ
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:41 p.m.

Probably the only good, honest words Bush has ever said in his life. President Hinckley was a great man and will be missed by millions of people worldwide.

• SJ Bobkins
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:44 p.m.

A very kind message of condolance. I appreciated the President's taking the time to make sure it was sent. Maybe the finest tribute to a church president was the one LBJ sent when President MCKay passed away. Amazingly LBJ would call president McKay on the phone during difficult times just to feel his "presence." They had a genuine relationship. I'm sure President Bush has a great deal of respect for who President Hinckley was, but I don't think they had anything but a formal relationship of picture ops.

• Marie
    Jan. 29, 2008 12:35 a.m.

Thank you President and Mrs. Bush for honoring my dear Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. Thank you for seeking his advise and spiritual--not political--guidance after 9/11. Seeing him at your side gave me great comfort during a very difficult time. Thank you for realizing his importance in my life and million others worldwide. We love him and will miss him but so grateful to know he is reunited with his sweet eternal companion.

• Pol Sanchez, Sr. - Manila
    Jan. 29, 2008 2:11 a.m.

Before, people seems alienated by just being around Mormons that they have to kick them out of the place. But now comes the time when even the most powerful leader of America is not afraid nor embarassed to call a Mormon Prophet a friend. In this era of spiritual enlightenment words are but icing on a cake, I hope Bush learned a lot from his prophet friend and apply it in his life and not just continue praising him.

• erick kirong
    Jan. 29, 2008 6:54 a.m.

thank you so much President Bush for the love and sympathy to our Everbeloved Prophet President Gordon B.Hinkley, He is Man of God.

• SW
    Jan. 29, 2008 8:41 a.m.

As a member of the United States Military I am grateful for the leadership of both President Bush and President Hinckley. It is our responsibility and duty to fight evil where ever it may be found.

May God continue to bless this country.

My condolences to the Hinckley family.

• NotFunny
    Jan. 29, 2008 8:55 a.m.

While I no longer care for what the current Pres. thinks; it was a nice gesture.
    I usually like Stephen Colbert but he showed a lack of decorum to use Pres Hinckley as he did on his show.(especially one day after his passing)

• Blessings of God's Peace
    Jan. 29, 2008 9:24 a.m.

I pray God's spirit
    will comfort all of President Hinkley's family.
    Thanks to President Bush for the kind words. May God bless you with his spirit.

BTW-There is a time and a place for political arguments...This aint it!

• oklahoma
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:07 a.m.

Isn't it a wonderful thing to know that this sweet and righteous man had nothing to fear at his passing and that he is now reunited with the love of his life. I will miss him so much. It has always been that I knew him personally. His teachings were tender and humble, but he never compromised on what was the will of the Lord. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but President Hinckley was just so cute. I always wanted to give him a hug and tell him how much I loved and respected him as a prophet of the Lord and as a truly good and great man. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for allowing him to lead us forward for so many years.

• Bette
    Jan. 29, 2008 10:24 a.m.

My, my, my! I must say I was shocked to hear anyone, LDS or not, say that our beloved prophet has blood on his hands. I would be careful what I say, for it is all noted.

I'm grateful to have lived while Gordon Hinkley was the leader of our church on earth. He will be dearly missed but I'm happy with his passing. I feel certain that he has already had a long talk with the Savior. How wonderful to think about!

• Jessie in Denver
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:05 a.m.

RE: Iwhojai, George & Anonymous - I am a Liberal Democrat and Inactive member of the LDS church, but know how to seperate politics from "everything" else. This is a time to honor & remember the life of an amazing person, President Hinkley. I like to thank Prez Bush for recognizing President Hinkley's leadership for one of the fastes growing church in the world. Although, I haven't been active, I still tuned into the conferences just to hear what President Hinkley had to say - I think we all agree President Hinkley had a great sense of humor! I was disappointed the media did not have much coverage of his passing like The Pope, BUT then again the LDS church is too humble to show all their greatness - they (LDS church) work behind the scenes to try to make the world a better place. Thank you President Hinkley for your wisdom & love for ALL mankind. You will be missed! Finally, you're reunited with your sweetheart & our Father.

• Cali
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:14 a.m.

I am greatful for Pres Bush for recognizing & sending his deepest regrets to Pres. Hinckley's family. For those of you who made smart remarks regarding Pres Bush. Shame on you. You are not showing what Pres Hinckley has taught us for many years to LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Pls if you want to make comments...make sure you do in love because that is how Pres. Hinckley would like to see us all behave, a true Latter-Day Saints. Thank you Pres. Hinckley. I will miss you.

• Julie C Moore
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:44 a.m.

Contrary to Marci's comment, the news media has reported widely on the death of our beloved President Hinckley. See the Washington Post and The New York Times (both have articles--I saw them online) today. The NYT issued a bulletin last night, as well. Our local Reno paper has a nice photo and article this morning. I am certain other newspapers are noting his passing.

• Kevin
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:51 a.m.

I'm glad that Pres. Bush acknowledged Pres. Hinkley's accomplishments. I'm glad that two leaders from slightly different faiths can come together as friends and associates and inspire all the world to stand a little taller. Pres. Hinkley was a great example to the world, and I am happy that he has finished his work and hope that we will always put into practise what he taught.

• Collin
    Jan. 29, 2008 12:01 p.m.

I admire the fact that there was a mutual respect between our President of the United States and our President of Christ's restored Church. Both positions require giving of one's life in a way that accomplishes an exponential amount of good, a pattern after which people can aspire to in its level of unselffishness. Both men give everything they have to push their respective works forward. God continue to bless our Presidents. w/out that blessing we're in a world of hurt!

• Collin
    Jan. 29, 2008 12:16 p.m.

I think it's great Pres. Bush took time to make the comment he did. Pres. Hinkley's passing was all my wife and I talked about last night. The hallmark feature of his life was the love he showed to everyone regardless of religious affiliation. He taught us we should reach out and love all our brothers and sisters on earth. He taught us not to live in cliques but to get invovled in our communities and make them a better place. He really did make me proud to be what I am. God bless our Presidents.

• Jim
    Jan. 29, 2008 12:26 p.m.

Pres Bush is the man for recognizing Pres Hinckley. Pres Hinckley really taught me how wonderful life can be in the way his life showed how it was possible to love every walk of life on this planet. I truly believe he was filled by the Spirit of the Lord which, in and of itself, inspires man to see more clearly every race, culture, and creed from the vantage point of God Himself. I really can't say how grateful I am for Pres. Hinckley's life and example.

• Sarah
    Jan. 29, 2008 2:14 p.m.

Thank you President Bush for your kind words.

I live in Missouri, Clay county to be exact and nothing was on the local news. I did hear there was an article on USA today.com, the comments on that article are horrific. I appreciate those Non LDS that are leaving nice, decent comments here. I am astounded those that don't understand that this is about President Hinckley's passing. You leave consolendences or nice thoughts, memories of President Hinckley. It amazes me those that don't understand this. Even if I completely disagreed with every fiber of my soul with someone I would never leave awful, disparaging comments.

• Georgia Teacher
    Jan. 29, 2008 2:44 p.m.

I like so many of my brothers and sisters am saddened by the passing of our great prophet. I am sure that he has been welcomed home with a well done my good and faithful servant. I am also saddened that at a time when only the best of thougths should be spoken that we are so disparaging of another who has chosen to publicly give tribute to such a great man. Personal feelings aside I am proud that President Hinckley is being given reverence and respect due a man of his calbre on all levels. Let's celebrate that we are all in agreement that the world has lost a great and wonderful prophet, leader, and man.

• Pete Landsteiner
    Jan. 29, 2008 2:52 p.m.

President Bush is truly a people's President and he truly admired what Pres Hinkley and the LDS people have done in support of this great country of our. God President Bush and President Hinkley.

God Bless The United States of America

• Chase SL
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:21 p.m.

President Bush is awesome! President Hinckley is Awesome! Awesome people get along! party on!

• Karen
    Jan. 29, 2008 3:52 p.m.

I care a great deal that the President of the United States would take time to extend his condolences to the family of such a tremendous leader and citizen, regardless of what the President's politics may be. The office of President of the United States should be treated with dignity, just as President Hinckley's death should be treated.

• WOW!!
    Jan. 29, 2008 6:31 p.m.

What other man Has influenced so many people? At this time, I too am not in active member but just reading these comments, all the way from 12yr olds to non mormons & people from all around the world have really touched me. I know President Hinckley was a true prohet & a great leader & by no means would I be surprised if President Bush recieved much inspiriation & guidence from a man so close to God. A condolence from a man that leads this great, god driven nation, I believe is a wonderfull respect. Love you Pres Hinkley & thak you Pres bush for your respects to a great man...

• Bromo
    Jan. 29, 2008 6:46 p.m.

Pres. Hinckley said we shouldn't condone war. I think he knew when Jesus said "love your enemies" He probably meant "don't kill them".

• Dissapointed!
    Jan. 29, 2008 8:45 p.m.

The president minimizes us by not attending the service. This is lip service and I feel mininimized that those outside of the intermounatin west and the sprinkling of faithful in the outside world, we are not respected. He was a prophet and should be recognized as such from all the great leaders of the worls and and masses of the world.

• granny
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:23 p.m.

Jessie, your heart is in the right place! Please come back! You sound like a good person.

• remember
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:31 p.m.

Pres. Hinckley, Pres. Bush....two great men. Pres. Hinckley we love you. We should appreciate Bush for trying to protect the nation and the people. Eagles soaring while some of the people on this site, are like chickens in the yard pecking, pecking, pecking.

• Pretorius Family
    Jan. 29, 2008 11:59 p.m.

Thank you Pres. Hinckley for all you've done, we will surely miss you, you were just an incredible man. You really made our hearts swell, but you home now and that's what we all striving for. Thank you for your marvelous example.
    Our sincere condolences to Pres. Hinckley's family
    From:
    Tony, Ilse and children
    Krugersdorp 1 ward, Roodepoort South Africa Stake

• Romeo Nkosi
    Jan. 30, 2008 3:58 a.m.

A great man as fallen, a mighty giant and a servent of God has left us, but in our hearts and minds his council lives with us. he provided us with many things including blessing with the opporturnity to have a house of God in our different countries.
    Thank you President, i have grown alot from studying about his ministry as president.
    Trully the Lord loves his people that he blessed them with such a man like Pres. Hinckley

• Jayziel Mesde, Philippines
    Jan. 30, 2008 12:07 p.m.

President Hinckley had really touched other peoples' lives even Pres. Bush's life.. I am proud of Him! He really is a good leader and a true prophet of God!

I love Him!

You are really an example of living a Christlike life.

Thank you!

• Growly
    Jan. 30, 2008 1:26 p.m.

I have never seen such a childish bunch of people in all my life. Hopefully none of you are adults!

I like what president Bush said about G.B.Hinkley.

I'm not a member.

May your prophet have a peace of mind because it looks like his church members don't. You guys battle among yourselves and condemn your own.

Probably because I'm a nonmember this will not be printed.

• Ben
    Jan. 30, 2008 4:59 p.m.

Im sad. Sad for the people who feel it is ok to discuss hatred at a time like this. Just sad

• george
    Jan. 31, 2008 2:01 p.m.

So what does it gain him,Bush can do all the politicing he wants, but it will not help him because he doesn't have the truth and he is not righteous in his life or religion. He needs to become a mormon and not just pay polite attention. The end is near.

• All In The Family
    Jan. 31, 2008 4:47 p.m.

Not only were President Bush and "Gordon" good friends, but Hinckley was a Republican. We should show our respect for Hinckley by voting for Mitt Romney, another good friend of the Bush family and the Hinckley family. Keep it all in the family to save America!

• the Ephraimite
    Feb. 1, 2008 12:58 a.m.

Gordon B. Hinkley was born a warrior and he died a warrior. Peace to his family and to all those who admire him - whether your LDS or not.

• Gadianton
    Feb. 1, 2008 11:58 a.m.

Pres. Hinckley loved everyone!

• Jane
    Feb. 1, 2008 12:11 p.m.

I actually find it very disturbing that George Bush is making a comment on such a man of integrity as Gordan B. Hinckley. George Bush is as snakey as them come, and it is very uncomfortable to even see both men in the same picture.

Besides, anyone with an ounce of honesty would not praise George Bush the way many uninformed people have on this site.

• 12-year-old
    Feb. 1, 2008 4:27 p.m.

Wow! So many people have commented, and I'm so glad to know there are so many people who care about what the president has to say about President Hinckley! How blessed we are to be LDS, with so many friends with the same beliefs!

• NevadaCoug
    Feb. 1, 2008 8:56 p.m.

"The president minimizes us by not attending the service."

Disappointed, the President is doing everybody a bit of a service by not attending the service. The security detail that would be necessary when a President attends ANYTHING would make things overly hard on all those wishing to attend, especially the family. President Bush is doing a good thing by watching from afar in this kind of situation.

• Utah
    Feb. 2, 2008 4:41 p.m.

He sent representatives to the funeral, just so you guys know.
    Also, here in Utah, We have heard hardly any news through the media not in some way related to President Hinckley. I thoroughly enjoyed the funeral, and the documentaries made in his memory.
    He was and is a great man, and I look forward to seeing him again on the other side.

• sr
    Feb. 3, 2008 5:54 a.m.

In a way I think it was nice that Pres. Bush did not attend the service. I believe his being there would have been a distraction. It is possible they were thinking that as well. It was known that President Hinckley was admired and loved by so many. He will be truly missed.

• L. Bartlett
    Feb. 4, 2008 4:17 p.m.

Pres. Hinckley, youll be deeply loved and missed! Words cannot express the gratitude we felt for all your accomplishments in bringing millions of members unto Christ. Your wit, optimism, and sense of humor and the examples you've shown will always be an inspiration to many. Your legacy will always instill in our hearts. Our tears of sadness also means joy knowing you are reuniting with your wife and will have a great reception. To the Hinckley family, our thought and prayers are with you. Please accept our deepest sympathies.

Hail to Pres Monson, Counselors, Eyering & Uchtdorf...you definitely have our full love and support. Can't wait to hear the next profound messages that these great leaders have.

• 12-year-old
    Feb. 5, 2008 7:36 p.m.

NickC! "grow up" is a little kiddish thing to say!
    And it's not like we're throwing a party for President Bush we're just thanking him for the kind words he said about our Prophet.

• 12-year-old
    Feb. 5, 2008 7:37 p.m.

I hope President Tom Perry becomes the Prophet someday. He was at my sister's baptism, i don't know if by accident or choice, but he was really nice, and told me that I should "be proud to be the eldest sibling" and that I should be a good example. I liked him. I think he'd be a good prophet.

• jeff and tracy
    Aug. 11, 2008 4:26 p.m.

History will likely tell a far different tale about President Bush than what you read and see in the media today. His comments on the passing of President Hinckley seem to be consistently genuine and heartfelt.
    President Bush is a great leader and I believe a sweet and sincere follower of Christ. His mission to bring freedom (particularly religious freedom) to those in the world who lack it has been divinely led and I believe that President Hinckley was honored to call him his friend.

As a family we love and revere both of these great leaders.

March 10, 2010 3:29 p.m.

I LUV him!!! President Hinkley was an amazing prophet!!