Utah

Marjorie Pay Hinckley — Every bit his equal

Her sensible nature, devotion to family served her well

Comments

• Sean Fisher
    Jan. 27, 2008 9:10 p.m.

An excellent article. I truly look up to both President Hinckley and his wife as great examples. As sad as I am about President Hinckley's death, I am glad that he and his wife are together again.

• in admiration.
    Jan. 27, 2008 9:35 p.m.

how great it must be for them to be reunited together again and not restricted by the aches, pains and weariness of and old worn out body. Bless their souls and good for them, they graduated...with honors.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 27, 2008 9:39 p.m.

What a wonderful article. At the passing of the prophet how wonderful it is to know that he will be ruinited with his delightful wife and they can continue to love eachother and perform the Lord's work on the other side in even greater capacities.

• Brother Hatch
    Jan. 27, 2008 9:50 p.m.

Enjoy your rest with your eternal wife, president Hinckley. We love you and will miss you.

• gina in texas
    Jan. 27, 2008 10:06 p.m.

Interesting that the first thought
    i had on hearing of Pres. Hinckley's death was that he had returned to his sweetheart, Marjorie. What a wonderful woman, wife, and mother she was. I think all of us benefited by the great love they had for each other. My heart is with his family and children. We all loved him so much and wish him Godspeed and are so happy he is in his wonderful wife's arms again.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 27, 2008 10:19 p.m.

Wow, what a great example to look up to. Sister Hinkley will always be remembered as well as President Hinkley. Today President Hinkley has passed away and has rejoined his wife. It gives me great comfort to know that the love they have shared together will continue in the eternities. They are great examples of hard work and dedication.

• Caroline Kwok
    Jan. 27, 2008 11:56 p.m.

What a great example in family relations, in human relations! I am so glad i have them as examples in life, and i am sure in the next life we will get to hear more!

• linda
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:25 a.m.

Can you imagine a more glorious reunion? Our loss is Heaven's gain!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:05 a.m.

How much better the world has been because of the Hinckleys; how much better it would be if more people, couples and marriages were like the Hinckleys. God bless and Thank you!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:21 a.m.

Almost makes you want to name your next baby girl Marjorie, doesn't it? She was--and still is--my hero!

Love you both, President and Sister Hinckley.

• Bret
    Jan. 28, 2008 4:28 a.m.

Now who's knocking on the door of your heavenly abode? What blessing and rich life you two have shared in this life, imagine even richer lives up in heaven with you two together for all eternity. God bless you two together.

• Lori-Washington
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:20 a.m.

Great sadness came at the news of President Hinkley passing, but thinking of the joy and happiness of reuniting with his wife, I know they are enjoying each other's companionship once again. They will be greatly missed, but their examples of great leadership and love for the people and the church will forever be remembered. We love you President and Sister Hinkley.

• LJ
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:48 a.m.

I will miss President Hinckley but I know he is with Sis. Hinckley once again. I know he is very happy. I loved Sis. Hinckley so much. What a wonderful lady. When the Monticello Temple was rededicated we sat across the way in another room and when I turned my head to look back she would smile and wave at me each time I looked back. Ahhee' Pres. Hinckley & Sis. Hinckley for your love and example.

• Shanthi Arul, India
    Jan. 28, 2008 7:29 a.m.

The demise of President Hinckley brought tears to my eyes, but what joy it gives to know that he is now in the arms of his beloved, in peace, surpassing the aches and pains of being trapped in a mortal body; to live in eternal unity with happiness and love. What a great reunion!!

Thank you President Hinckley for your love and labor,
    We love you and will always miss your presence.

• Linda Hissong
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:05 a.m.

The Saints in the South mourn President Hinckley's death, but, we are so grateful for the times we had him with us and for the many blessings that we received by being in his presence.
    The sadness is made easier, by the knowledge of the gospel, the plan of salvation and knowing he is with his Eternal Companion and those of whom he served with.
    If only that I can live to be able to greet him someday.
    We will miss you, but, thanks for your service to our Savior and for us. God Be With You, Til We Meet Again.

• Beth
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:15 a.m.

Aftr reading this I could picture that as he passed through the veil and his beloved Marjorie met him she would quip 'So, what took you so long!" How wonderful that they are together again. How we will miss them

• Hanson Family
    Jan. 28, 2008 8:27 a.m.

We are so glad you can be together again. We will miss you both, but know how happy you must be now. Thanks for all your service, your love, and your example. We love you!

• suzyk
    Jan. 28, 2008 10:07 a.m.

To "Beth".you are right, your comment on her sense of humor brought laughter and tears. She was indeed a beautiful, spiritual and loving woman and so much in love with her sweetheart Gordon B. Hinckley. How rich our lives have been with our President Hinckley and his humble, sweetness and especially his magic he spread with his sense of humor. Oh, what a loss but what a wonderful feeling to KNOW that he is with Marjorie, the love of his life and we have so many more wonderful and inspirational apostles and leaders to uplift us with words from God. We loved him, yearned to hear his counsel and experiences. He will be missed and hopefully he will know that we are living our lives in accordance to those words of counsel and love. Our condolences go to the family and extended family and friends of the Hinckley's.

• Robyn J
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:20 p.m.

I can easily see how they fell in love and stayed in love. They seemed to compliment eachother perfectly. God bless you both!

• Bob
    Jan. 28, 2008 12:45 p.m.

Okay, he could be pretty funny at times, but in terms of humor it sounds like she was MORE than his equal. What great one liners! It sounds like they were truly made for each other. Beautiful article.

• Marci
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:01 p.m.

I'm glad that they are together again. They are a great example of what "true love" really is. :D

• MN Mom
    Jan. 28, 2008 2:28 p.m.

I feel better just reading this. Its like they're not really gone.

• Ozboy
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:00 p.m.

I may not make it to the Celestial Kingdom, but if Pres and Sis Hinckley are hiring for Angel team, I'm applying for Guardian Angel School.
    What a joy, spending eternity as a team member of Marjorie and Gordon's kingdom.

• cricket
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:10 p.m.

I was able to sit in on a private press interview for a regional conf in our state. In the room were Pres. and Sis. Hinckley, an apostle, a Seventy,a secretary, the reporter and me. Who was it that I touched me so brightly and so deeply? Sis. Hinckley. She is beyond words.

• Led Zeppelin
    Jan. 28, 2008 3:49 p.m.

Perfect example of how we need to live our lives to make it to return to our Heavenly Father. They put the Lord first in everything and showed an example of love in it's purest form. I remember seeing President Hinkley speak about a month or less after Marjorie passed away. It was amazing to see and feel a small part of what he had for her. I try every day to love my wife as Christ loved the gospel and these 2 have taught me so much and I have learned much from them.

• BillM
    Jan. 28, 2008 5:49 p.m.

Sounds like a wonderful lady, but crikey, never learned to swim or ride a bike??? Obviously, she was too busy once her father lost her job & she got married, and it was different era back then, but still, that sounds like a rough chilhood to me.

I am not religious at all, but I certainly believe this world would be a far better place if all the so-called religious AND political leaders today shared President Hinckley's wisdom & kindness. Condolences to all.

• MCBMA
    Jan. 28, 2008 11:20 p.m.

I am so touched reading this article! Now I know why President Hinckley lived a very long and happy life because of.... SIS. Hinckley. I wish that I could be like Sis Hinckley so my husband could live longer too :-) Anyways, I just wanna say that I know that Pres. HInckley is a real prophet of God and that his wife is a great example to al women in the world..... We will miss you both and thank you for helping me build my own testimony! We love you all!

• GlorK
    Jan. 30, 2008 7:29 a.m.

Thank you for a beautiful article. You can almost feel the warmth and sincerity of those two dear hearts; it seemed that they were everyone's best grandparents, only enriched by faith and love many times over. If only we could model those same virtues; fidelity, humility, modesty, pureness of heart... what a world it would be! God bless you, Gordon and Marjorie, together as you should be.

• 2tall
    Feb. 2, 2008 7:36 p.m.

I think that, that artice is very true I will always remember Gordan B. Hinckley and his family and keep them in my constant thoughts....The Hinckley couple is a very modest couple that many teen kids should look up to.....I know that I myself being a teen do look up to there modest relationship....I will miss Gordan B. HInckleys sence of humor at confence but I am also happy because I know that he has been reuniteed with not only his wife but also our Heavenly Father....A very honored member....

• amber
    Feb. 20, 2008 11:34 a.m.

what a beautiful story!! i learned so much. she truly is an angel.