Faith

The Gospel in Words: Mormon Times: New section every Thursday to bring more LDS news, info

Comments

• cool
    Jan. 10, 2008 9:00 a.m.

thank you. good timing too.

• Tena DeCol
    Jan. 10, 2008 9:17 a.m.

Thanks for putting something out there for all to see and read. With the LDS church being judged with the election it's good for others to see and learn. We need to send this out to the world.

• SLC
    Jan. 10, 2008 9:24 a.m.

A great idea. I hope the section will include open reporting from all sides. It seems so many of the mormons only want their limited side of mormon views printed. Under their control of information even Joseph Smith would not have had the opportunity to tell his story. I hope the church will give you access to the records and history files in the vaults of Cotton Wood canyon and then we can get some good, true, fair and balanced reporting. Good luck with your new section.

• Cool Guy
    Jan. 10, 2008 9:28 a.m.

I have seen and learned of the LDS religion. Thank you DesNews for this. It makes me much more comfortable being of another faith.

God Bless.

• Mormon times?
    Jan. 10, 2008 9:44 a.m.

Great idea! But who came up with the name? I thought the Church was trying to distance itself from the "Mormon" label.

• AZMormon
    Jan. 10, 2008 9:51 a.m.

As a former Utah Mormon, (now Arizona) I enjoy beginning each day reading DeseretNews.com. And while I don't think the LDS church has to "open their vaults and avail all sacred records/transcripts to the world, any more than any other religion is obligated to do so. I hope "SLC" and others will simply accept that what is correctly expressed and published, is simply who we are. And not look for deep dark secrets that must be lingering in a vault somewhere. I think after nearly 200 years our "fruits" are visible and well known.

• Great New Addition
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:04 a.m.

"unfiltered, accurate, and unbiased" ... thank you Mr. Cannon. I appreciate the DesNews' committment to always give me the straight story, untainted by the liberal left-wing media conglomorate. I like my news as pristine as the falling rain, I like it as sincere and free from hidden agenda as a Mitt Romney policy stance.

• Can't Wait
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:24 a.m.

Great Idea!! The more people learn about Mormonism the less converts their will be to Mormonism.

The Mormon label will most likely never disappear unless they change the tittle of the Book of Mormon, change the name of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and acknowledge that Joseph Smith was not their founder.

• Donna R Bell
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:40 a.m.

I enjoyed reading every article in your new section. I especially love reading what Orson Scott Card writes. He and Jerry Johnston are favorite writers of mine and I'm glad to know I can read their articles every week. Thank you for a wonderful addition to my favorite newspaper.

• George H Zinn
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:40 a.m.

You have got to be kidding...The Mormon News?? Isn't the weekly Church News sufficient dogma to remind us who truly runs this state? I'm waiting to see a Muslem News, or a special section just for me called the Goofy Bald Headed Guys with Glasses News. I think this is a subliminal agenda in behalf of the Deseret Morning News to get Mitt Romney elected. If you are hoping this will increase your faltering circulation with your competition, this new section is a bad idea. Utah is more pluralistic and diversified than ever before in history, and to circulate a section to one interest or religion defeats what I feel should be free and open journalism. Joe Cannon, wake up and come to the realization that Salt Lake City is NOT just one great big Salt Lake 12th Ward!!!!

• I'm glad
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:42 a.m.

I am glad that the newspaper will be do this. I think it will be great.

And for you who complain, don't read it. Isn't that simple?

• Mort
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:47 a.m.

Bad idea. I fear it will be more sugar coated church news, church-approved and sanitized.

• Cy Schmidt, SLC UT, USA
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:47 a.m.

Thank you, Joe and Staff. This seems in keeping with Elder Ballard's encouragement to use the media to inform others in a clear, concise way of our LDS doctrine, views and lifestyle. I also appreciate the reference back to the fine early Church publication The Times and Seasons.
    All the best,
    Cy Schmidt
    SLC,UT USA

• Re: Cool Guy
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:49 a.m.

Er... so you didn't feel completely comfortable with your own faith until you found something you could look down on in a different faith?

I shouldn't be surprised, really. That seems about par for the course with all the petty squabbling between ideologies that occurs so often.

• Frankl
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:53 a.m.

Mormon Times? Wasn't "Mormon" a bad word in Utah?

• CzarAdams
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:54 a.m.

Thank you for your comments Mr. Zinn.

Often we find people who complain and those who make accusations of others. If we didn't have anything to fear couldn't we hold those complaints and accusations until we have all died. If it is true isn't it wonderful, and if not at least there was hope. At any rate, please don't let hatred and misunderstandings stand in the way of us being men and women.

• NorthboundZax
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:56 a.m.

Sounds great! It's just too bad we'll have Orson Scott Card and Jerry Johnston instead of Times and Seasons contributors John Taylor, the Pratt brothers, and Joseph Smith. Now that was some good stuff!

• k-dog
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:58 a.m.

Wow. More Mormon news in the Mormon paper. What a novel concept! Worthless rag.

• Aaron Shafovaloff
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:58 a.m.

"The more people learn about Mormonism the less converts their will be to Mormonism." This is so true. It's like that scene in the Matrix... once you decide to learn about the facts, there's no turning back. I'd encourage anyone to take this time to look at both proponents and critics of Mormonism. One could go to the official Mormon web site or visit Mormonism Research Ministry.

• LOL...
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:08 a.m.

(I can't help it...)

I'm glad to see that religious bigotry on this comment board has so far been limited to some guy who doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their". Nice post...haha

• Arm of Orion
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:14 a.m.

Why do you Aaron and the other guy think that? We are still the fastest growing church in the world and America. So please stop being disingenuous. Besides what pill will you take Shafovaloff the red pill or the blue. One will lead you to something without foundation but is easy to live. The other will give you a path and purpose but is harder to live. Down the rabbit hole again eh?
    Enough Matrix references for you?

• Armpit of Orion
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:26 a.m.

I agree with the comments. It appears that if you are not mormon or disagree with mormons, you are a bigot, or just dumb.

• sb
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:28 a.m.

Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to the articles you present.

• DUH
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:33 a.m.

um lets see ...
    does everyone who reads the Desnews like sports news? ... but it has a sports section.
    see does everyone who reads the Desnews like Business news? ... but it has a Business section.
    see does everyone who reads the Desnews like Arts & Entertainment news? ... but it has an Arts & Entertainment section.
    see does everyone who reads the Desnews like Utah or Davis co news? ... but it has those sections.

if you don't like a Mormon section in the Desnews then don't read it? DUH!

Mormons make a substainal segment of the population in the area, so it would only make sense that the local paper might want to have a section pertaining to them.

I wonder if there is any Catholic news any of Rome's newspapers?
    I wonder if there is any Jewish news in New York City or Israeli newspapers?

Anti- Mormon bigotry rears its ugly head again by those who have nothing better to do that hate and complain. Grow up and get a life.

• Aaron Shafovaloff
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:35 a.m.

"We are still the fastest growing church in the world and America." This is a faith-promoting myth. Mormonism Research Ministry has documented this myth. In fact, if you go to their front page and click on "Eight Mormon Myths", it's listed as myth #1.

• sb
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:40 a.m.

Totally inappropriate for a public newspaper. It reinforces that this is the only state where there is little or no separation of church and state!

• Lost in DC
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:41 a.m.

Zinn, take a chill pill and relax. I do agree that the church news is enough, but I think you've gone overboard with your vitriol.

• To SLC
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:41 a.m.

I believe you are a bit mis-informed. Joseph Smith wrote his own story and it is published widely im pamphlets, in our scriptures and in Church History.

You have a stilted view of the Church.

• To Aaron Shafovaloff
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:46 a.m.

Boy are you a genius. You identify an anti-Mormon site and quote them. Their mission is to demean the church in whatever way they can.

Get your head out of the sand!

• To Aaron
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:48 a.m.

So if this is so terrible, why are you reading it?

Let it go -- go read the Tribune!

• Ron Smith
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:49 a.m.

Thank you so very much! This is a wonderful idea, to give the community a little boost in what's going on. A printed calendar of events at the new conference center, Choir schedules, Orchestra events, special meetings and on and on. Even those who are not a part of the faith can be able to enjoy many of those events if they will only have an open mind them. Imagine getting seats at a Choir concert. I have tried many times to get tickets for the choir, but with late notification, I have failed. Thank you, thank you. NIIICE!

• Arm of Orion
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:56 a.m.

This news paper is not public it is owned in the private sector.

• PW
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:57 a.m.

"The information in the vaults is available. In fact the church is very open to letting others see their records (except confidential member stuff)."

And by "confidential member stuff," of course you mean anything that might cast a bad light on Mormonism.

• to sb:
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:58 a.m.

are you saying you want the state to run the newspapers?

• kraka
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:58 a.m.

I love the D-News. As a mormon, I don't think for myself, and it's a lot easier if someone else does it for me. More stories = more thoughts. Baaaaa!

• sb?
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:58 a.m.

Where you actually under the impression that there is such a thing as a public newspaper. This news paper is a not a government (hence "public") paper. Rather is is privately held doubtless with stockholders and investors.

• To sb
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:59 a.m.

The DesNews isn't a government publication. There is no obligation on the part of a corporation to not advocate or report on a particular set of beliefs, nor is there anything against marketing to a large segment of the population based on their religious beliefs. If the DesNews can make more money by publishing this new section, why shouldn't they?

• Arm of Orion
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:59 a.m.

Ok well I just checked out the site and it has an obvious anti Mormon slant so why should I trust that site anymore than you trust the LDS church's?

• Aaron Shafovaloff
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:02 p.m.

"Their mission is to demean the church in whatever way they can." You mean by quoting facts about Mormonism's growth rate from *Mormon* authors? Consider the information instead of attacking the messenger.

• Note 2 SB
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:08 p.m.

Were you actually under the impression that this is a "public" paper. This newspaper is not owned or operated by the government of this state. Doubtless, it is privately held with investors and a board. If you want to make your weak argument regarding seperation of church and state perhaps you should first look into the orgination of that myth, then find a more logical place to air to imbittered ignorance.

• to arm of Orion
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:25 p.m.

You might want to get your fact straight. The Jehovah's witnesses and the Seventh Day Adventists are growing at a much faster rate than the LDS church. Where did you get your information considering it is false and with less missionaries.

• Re: Aaron
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:32 p.m.

If you have ever watched the session of General Conference where the church releases the statistics for the past year (and I am sure you have not) you will notice that the church leaders say nothing about being the fastest growing religion. They state the number of baptisms for the past year. I don't know if the church is the fastest growing religion in America. I really don't care. But there is no doubt that it is growing at a very rapid rate. If it wasn't, people like you, Aaron, wouldn't spend so much time worrying about other religions 'myths.' Seriously. Live and let live. If the Salt Lake Tribune wants to publish the Catholic times, I am all for it. The DesNews knows the demographic of their readership. It is called marketing. No big deal.

• Desnews Reader
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:35 p.m.

Thanks for the new section. Living far from Salt Lake, I look forward to learing more about what's going on with the church and it's members. It's interesting to read that such a section in the paper is upsetting to some, but I think to most active LDS, this will become a favorite section of the paper. Thanks.

• Walter Pigeon
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:39 p.m.

"Our readers also have strongly reaffirmed their interest in a full-service daily newspaper that reports the local, national and international news in an unfiltered, accurate and unbiased manner. " - This is great news, when can we expect to see this happening? Because it sure as heck ain't happening now! The blatent support of Mitt Romney for president is a great example. If I were to rely on your "un-biased" reporting, I'd be buying my tickets to Mr. Romney's innaugural address while the reaalityis he is way behind in the national polls!

• Wake Up Joe
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:44 p.m.

"Reports the news in an unfiltered, accurate, unbiased manor"... That is an interesting statement, which is by definition absolutely false. How can you report news in an "unbiased" manor? This is a joke and you know it Mr. Cannon. You may feel that you're opinions are the only correct opinions, but many others disagree. Many times I am offended by your arrogance in the opinion section when you distort the truth in a gross and blatant manor. At least be honest and state that you are biased. Everyone has an opinion on what is right and wrong, just make sure to state those comments as opinion, instead of an "unbiased" report of the news. What's funny and sad at the same time, is your statement about being unfiltered, accurate and unbiased is probably the most egregious lie of all.

• Steve
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:47 p.m.

I attend the LDS Church and all, I don't really mind the idea of this new section... but at the same time wonder why have it when this paper already distributes "The Church News" (LDS publication about LDS news, stories, events, etc.). If readers expressed interest in a section called "Baptist Times" or "Catholic Times" would they also add these sections?

• e smith
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:47 p.m.

To George H Zinn:
    Thank you for your comment and insight. This is a free country. One of the great things about it is that you get to choose the things you buy (except public education). If you don't care for the Deseret News product, you could switch to the S L Tribune, which sounds like it would be more to your liking. Only in America.

• Arm of Orion
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:48 p.m.

Where are your sources pallyboy (guy who wrote to me@ 12:25 PM)? Would you like if I retyped it so it says One of the fastest growing churches? I'm sorry I have to split my attention right now so somethings are going to get omitted.

• e smith
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:50 p.m.

To Cy chmidt: Are you the same Cy Schmidt from the old Guardian / Peter Jeppson days???

• Max the Mormon
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:50 p.m.

I think this is a good idea, But Deseret News, didn't you get the memo...? The big white building says we should always refer to the church as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints", or doesn't that apply to you guys? Or is this another example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing in church leadership.

• lemur
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:53 p.m.

It's another bashing website. Mormons vs anti's. It should be quite good.

• Robert
    Jan. 10, 2008 12:53 p.m.

I believe Mr. Robinson hit the nail on the head in his column a few days ago. The LDS Church is being blasted from all sides with impunity. I am sick of the sordid, untruthful comments made in print and on the nightly news.
    Thank you!

There was a Nauvoo Neighbor. Now we have a Mormon Times neighbor.

• John Fee
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:13 p.m.

The comment about his reinforcing a "separation of church and state" problem is laughable. Since when has the Deseret News been part of the state government?

• Ezra Smith
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:16 p.m.

Sometimes Mormons scare me with their naivety and need to control reality. There are two privately owned newspapers that dominate this state, and yes they are privately owned. But you are wrong about their free right to slant the news any way they want (outside of the opinion columns.) The proud tradition of MAJOR newspapers in this nation is to NOT be influenced by any one group, and to act as neutral reporters of the news. The Desert News has claimed again and again that they are unbiased and not controlled by the church or any biased board. It is and should be their Journalistic Creed to do so. But old things often become new. Joseph Smith burned down the opposition newspaper in order to sanitize his Warren Jeffslike multiple marriages.

• Fredd
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:22 p.m.

I look forward to reading it. I'm not LDS and I don't believe the theology. But My in-laws are and I like to be informed. If you can weed through some of the more vitrolic comments (from both LDS and anti) there is a lot to learn about the LDS church in these blogs.

• on-line subscriber
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:29 p.m.

I am a paying subscriber to the News On-line edition, and this section is nowhere to be found. I subscribed on-line because I got tired of searching the bushes, the roof, and the street for a soaked and soggy (unreadable) paper that may or may not be delivered each day. I feel that my paid subscription should entitle me to the entire paper.

• Charles
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:33 p.m.

Ezra Smith just graduated from journalism school and still has the naivety to THINK that the MAJOR newspapers are neutral.

Please shake off the cobwebs and understand that all MAJOR newspapers have agendas and ARE influenced by them. Boston Globe, NYT, LAT, AZRepublic, WashPO etc.

If you really think they are neutral, then call me because I have this really nice beach front property in Arizona to sell you.

• Ezra Smith
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:34 p.m.

Why are Mormons naive? Because we believe that God still talks to prophets? Because we believe that Joseph Smith was a good--no--great man, and resotred, not founded, the church that Jesus Christ built during his ministry. Is it because we believe that families can be together in eternity--forever? Is it because we believe that the Bible is a record of God's dealings with man in the Old World, the Book of Mormon is a record of ancient peoples that inhabited the Western Hemisphere, and that there are still prophets that are tasked with keeping records of modern peoples--in other words, the Bible is not the only book of scripture? Is it because we believe in giving money and/or service to the people of this world, that have it a lot worse than we do? Or is it because we just don't agree with your point of view, and the points of view of all the critics in Salt Lake? One caution I would make to you, is that you really study the history of the Church before you make asinine comments, believing that you're an expert on the subject. The historical records are open for anyone to read.

• Tired
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:40 p.m.

To all of you (Mormon bashers) look at the history of this state....who opened up the desert...who converted a wilderness into a garden...surprise it was the Mormons. This state and city (SLC) were founded on the principles of the religion it is why it is such a nice place to live and raise a family. If you don't like it LEAVE.....PLEASE LEAVE!!!!!

• hogwash
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:43 p.m.

Yet another means by which mormons can keep convincing themselves that mormonism is valid by isolating their mindset with pro mormon propoganda, lest they stumble on the truth.

Jan. 10, 2008 1:51 p.m.

I will read it. For those who don't like the idea, who's focring you to do what I will? No one. Simply don't read it. Seesh.

• To Wake Up Joe
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:57 p.m.

Interesting when I've ever had any comments concerning Joe Cannon, they've always been editorially deleted from this blog. Congratulations for finally getting one through. And by the way, I totally agre with you.

• CD
    Jan. 10, 2008 1:58 p.m.

re: LOL 11:08am
    I see your interests are still in spelling and criticizing.

Have you ever tried not to be so judgmental of others and their SIMPLE mistakes? I bet you have misspelled a few words a long the way as well. Why do you like to criticize others so much?

• Ralph
    Jan. 10, 2008 2:04 p.m.

Well, there goes any pretense at all that the DesNews is a real newspaper . . . rather than a mouthpiece of the LDS Church, which owns it -- body, and apparently, soul.

• Grouchy & Grumbling!
    Jan. 10, 2008 2:30 p.m.

Re: TIRED, ....GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!

To all you (Anti-Mormon bashing people)

It's another website for the 2 bashing sides to come 2gether.

• NonMormnon News
    Jan. 10, 2008 2:39 p.m.

The Deseret News has to come up with something like 'Non Mormon News' to have a voice for the non Mormons in this state who have been persecuted by Mormons. The Mormons in this state of Utah says they don't persecute minorities.

• re: Ralph
    Jan. 10, 2008 2:47 p.m.

I think Deseret News is very fair and lets both LDS members and Nonmembers voice their opinions. So why are you "RALPIE" dumping on them. No one forces you to come on to their website. By the way, you don't know what you are talking about and don't make any sense. So why hang around! The DN will continue on rather anyone likes what they do or not!
    I rather enjoy each day reading DN...positive or negative.

• jess
    Jan. 10, 2008 2:54 p.m.

glad to have new section to the Des News. as for george zinn - the Mormon hater - don't think anyone is tying you down & forcing you to stay in Utah. You are here by 'invited' to move out of the state. think there is a place where you'll be welcomed? doubt it....go go go we'll help you pack.

• Angie from SLC
    Jan. 10, 2008 2:55 p.m.

Oh, no -- this is a terrible idea! Why would a newspaper that it supposed to be the voice of ALL PEOPLE choose to divide itself even further from the non-Mormon community? Count me out. From now on, I'll read the Trib only....

• Veniece
    Jan. 10, 2008 2:55 p.m.

I, too, was surprised that the name "Mormon" was used rather than LDS, since the LDS Church has been trying to educate the non-member public that this is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, not the Mormon Church. Constant references to "Mormonism" isn't going to help establish a world-wide understanding that we definitely DO believe in Jesus Christ.
    Other than the name issue, I am very pleased with the new section, and will be a regular reader.
    There are sections of the paper I do not read, and I believe everyone has the right to read or not read as they see fit. Just because someone doesn't like sports, should they throw out the Sports section?
    If you don't like it - don't read it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

• Relocated Southerner
    Jan. 10, 2008 3:03 p.m.

So why do you read the DesNews if you think it's biased or does not represent your views? Almost all major papers are "biased" in one way or another. And while I'm not a Mitt supporter (yes, I'm LDS), one of the big news items of any election is always which candidate that newspaper supports or endorses. None of this is unique to the DesNews or Utah, for that matter. This just happens to be a paper owned by a privately held interest, as are most other papers in this country. I agree with a previous post on this site -- the fact that this is a predominantly LDS community would lend credence to having a section of the newspaper dedicated to their interests, just as a paper in some other part of the country or world would likely have a section dedicated to news for their dominant religion. I really don't see the problem. If it doesn't interest you, don't read it. I'm not a huge sports fan so I hardly ever read the sport section, but I'm not "crying" to the paper about including it every day!!

• Leo
    Jan. 10, 2008 3:45 p.m.

"I thought the Church was trying to distance itself from the "Mormon" label." That is a common misunderstanding. "Mormon" is fully accepted, "LDS" is not. Reread the official statement!

Only "Mormon church" should be avoided, but Mormon as adjective for all other uses, "Mormon" for members and "Mormonism" as the whole is fully endorsed. And indeed important: the rest of America, let alone the world, has no idea what LDS means. Moreover, with "Mormon", it's the same word in all languages.

• Thoughtful Mormon
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:04 p.m.

This is a powerful idea. There is no point in trying to mimic the Salt Lake Tribune--creat something different, something unique. Thank you for creating this. We love it!

• To Arm of Orion
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:05 p.m.

"This news paper is not public it is owned in the private sector."

Mormon haters live on lies, half truths, and innuendos.

• New Subscriber
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:07 p.m.

Go Joe and Team! This is what so many people have been waiting for. We finally have a voice in this community. The Tribune and most other media have one angle. This is the direction we should be going, while still coving other local news and information in the core newspaper. Great work!

• Please refrain
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:10 p.m.

To all of you, on both sides, who just sit in the coziness of your home or office and cast silly barbs about these issues, please refrain in the future.

Telling people to leave if they don't like it is childish. You need to learn how to get along with others who don't necessarily have your same belief system or train of thought.

Telling people that you've had enough bias and slanted news is just as childish. Find a new source for your information.

Would any of you actually SAY the things you are writing here? If not, then why is it ok for you to type them? because no one actually knows who you are? Sad, but true. Please look in the mirror and see if you like what you see. Then please refrain!

• JustAnotherJoe
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:18 p.m.

This is a very good idea. We have learned from the earliest days of the church how important it is to control the press at any cost......

• Bonnie
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:27 p.m.

I find neither of the Utah newspapers really presents an unbiased view of the world. But I think that is to be expected in any area where one religion dominates everything from politics to news. This occurs is many places in the world. Although I do not have an interest in the new Mormons Times, I imagine many LDS people do. So they will enjoy it.

I prefer to get my news from many online sources to see world events from many different perspectives. This the Deseret news does not do.

I hope the new section does well. Even though I do not find the News very useful personally, I think many people will enjoy the new section.

• Chamula
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:30 p.m.

Why add a MormonTimes section? Please read Doug Robinson's "Better duck -if you're a Mormon", on today's Deseret Morning News, and get a hint.
    These Mormon journalist, seem to me, are picking-up the Mormon label and running with it; in the same manner earlier journalist took the Muckraker label and made it into a badge of honor. I congratulate them for taking incoming fire and going forward with what they think it is right!

• onward
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:31 p.m.

to 'Please refrain' good comments to both parts of the 'conflict' about the new addition to the Des. News. Controversies about the Mormons will never end - they will go on forever. We know it, and should be used to it. Sad when they hit so hard. The comments hurt and show the ignorance of the people who send them out. As for me, yes, I would actually say the things I am writing - I'm not 'hiding' behind a keyboard. Childish? Maybe, but I still want to let people know that their 'ignorance' is showing when they say what they
    do about things they obviously don't understand. Oh well, it will never end - we know it, we need to grow thicker 'hides' so we can get through it! Time marches on - it will get worse, look forward to the time when it will all be over. Read the paper or don't - that's your decision! Simple...

• A in LA
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:36 p.m.

There are many comments here being made by the same people. DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE JOBS? Do you really have such boring lives that you have so much time to devote to bashing and stupid retoric? A lot of these comments are just pathetic - as are the comments by people who take the bait and respond to them. GET A LIFE!.

• Icedgin
    Jan. 10, 2008 4:47 p.m.

Nice to know that as a non-mormon, you would prefer me to move out of the state?

So much for tolerance and having lived here for almost 20 years, it seems to be the one thing this state lacks. My mormon neighbor will not let their children play with mine because they just can't trust someone that goes to another church?

Nice, way to make us feel unwelcomed, again!

• Kyoda
    Jan. 10, 2008 5:10 p.m.

I'm glad to have that in the newspaper. It will be a great missionary tool to those friends of who are not of our beliefs. I like the name Mormon Times. The opposition will never go away as has been stated. Its something that my ancestors have had to deal with and I will deal with it as well.

• A in LA
    Jan. 10, 2008 5:12 p.m.

Are talking to yourself in the mirror, or are you suffering freeway panic.

• Love DN in L.A.
    Jan. 10, 2008 5:26 p.m.

Thanks, DesNews, for your great paper. Yes, we in L.A. do read you and will enjoy your new section. Keep up the good work.

• John Atamanczyk
    Jan. 10, 2008 5:38 p.m.

Thanks a lot for this new section. I enjoy reading Orson Scott Card's & Jerry Johnston's columns as well as the other articles. As noted in some of the
    other comments, one can pick & choose which sections to read. For instance, I rarely read the
    sports & business sections, but I am glad that they are available on a daily basis to those who are interested in those areas. I look forward to next week's "Mormon Times" section. Keep up the great work!

• Caleb Wilson
    Jan. 10, 2008 5:55 p.m.

Excellent. This is an amazing idea!!! It is true that newspapers do cater to their audiences and are all influenced by their contributors, editors, boards, demographics, etc. It is better than being controlled by the government like in the Middle-East. I have been to Dubai many times and have experienced this. I lived abroad most of my life as my father worked for the government abroad. Also, it is funny that the bloggers on the Salt Lake Tribune website say the say comments as on the Deseret News blogs. Why so much Romney? This newspaper is biased! Romney and Mormons are this and that....blah...blah... Two totally different newspapers and the critics leave the same comments. Check for yourselves if you doubt this.

• Californian
    Jan. 10, 2008 6:10 p.m.

I live in San Francisco where liberals and gay activists pull the media strings. Were plagued with people pushing these agendas, along with some who routinely bash religion (specifically Christianity). The S.F. Chronicle has this creep named Morford who is so hateful toward religion (specifically Christianity) that even some anti-Mormons here might be shocked. I dont recall ever threatening to move to Utah because of all the media contents that I don't like.

Not a golf fan? Any problem with news about golf tournaments? Move! How about the operado you have season tickets and love a rousing Aida? If not, be warned, the Deseret News sometimes reviews opera. Maybe you dont travel. Are you going to move to another state to avoid reading a newspaper section on travel? Good luck.

Do you read the Saturday section where events and practices of many religions are covered? Did it bother you to see the recent stories on the Quinceaera for Catholic Hispanic girls, a Torah scroll salvaged from the Holocaust, Assyrian Christians worried about their homeland of Iraqeven an event for ex-Mormons?

Or are you just about bashing Mormons and the LDS Church?

• LOUISIANA READER
    Jan. 10, 2008 6:16 p.m.

I read the Church AND The Deseret News and am glad to have an additional sourse of information from the Church in which I am a member.

I firmly believe that GOD or JESUS CHRIST still has the AUTHORITY and POWER to call PROPHETS DIRECTLY, in in our own time,and has done so, and any one that really believes that GOD can do ANYTHING, will not limit his powers.
    (New Testament | Revelation 22:19)
    19 And if any MAN shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    My reading of this verse says IF ANY MAN!!! takes away fron this writing

I have found nothing in the KING JAMES version of the BIBLE where God has limited HIS AUTHORITY to call Prophets, at this time, as well as He did in the OLD TESTAMENT times. I want to hear as much as I can from the Church HE HAS ESTABLISHED in our time. Others may ridicule me as they did in JESUS' TIME.

• ckm - Edge.H.C.
    Jan. 10, 2008 6:25 p.m.

Joe, THANK YOU. This new section is really great. Your interview with Doug Wright this morning was very informative as to your goals. Way to go!

• to: icedgin
    Jan. 10, 2008 6:30 p.m.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the neighbors won't let their kids play with yours because they just don't like them, or you. Maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with religion.

I am so tired of some of you out there categorizing Mormons as in-tolerant bigots. Give it a rest already. I'm sure that some members of the mormon faith are intolerant of others' religious affiliations, but I'm also sure that the percentage is no higher than that of other religions being intolerant of mormons. I've seen it numerous times from the other viewpoint, kids aren't allowed to play with the neighbors because they are mormons.

Quit the sterotyping, there are plenty of idiots out there on both sides of the fence. And for the record, Mormons have been putting up with the persecution and bigotry much longer than you have.

Why can't we all just get along?

• Dale
    Jan. 10, 2008 6:35 p.m.

Interesting comments from all. The best one said in effect "don't read it if you don't like it". Off subject, the D-News has a great web site.

• My answer to-- A in LA
    Jan. 10, 2008 6:46 p.m.

Nice article with good things happening with DN.

RE: A in LA? You are making as many comments as anyone else on here. I thought I would answer you meaning you were asking everyone on here if they had a job. And, yes, I do thanks... DO YOU HAVE A JOB? I was wondering with all your comments.

• bear lake
    Jan. 10, 2008 6:46 p.m.

I would love it if Deseret News would inform me of what the Mormon church teaches. I am so confused. I didn't know that if families were not sealed in a temple that they wouldn't be together or that I have to have the help of a profit in order to know what God is saying to me. I also always thought that God would protect me, I didn't know that a pair of magic underwear would do this for me. It would be refreshing if this newspaper would put all of the LDS churches beliefs on the front page of the first article and let people judge for themselves what the LDS religion is really about. To the LDS fans out there, do you really think that God or your heavenly father is going to require you to get married in a temple, pay tithing, word of wisdom, take out endowments, keep the saboth, visit teach, home teach, have a calling, do baptisms for the dead, get married, go on a mission, follow the profit, graduate from seminary, and procreate the world with little mormon kids in order to return to you father in heaven? I don't think so.

• Wow
    Jan. 10, 2008 7:31 p.m.

Bear Lake,

Wow, one thing the LDS church teaches is happiness. When I read your spot, I don't really get the impression that you are happy.

Be kind to your neighbor, control your anger, live for peace and harmony, pray for your spouses, be kind to your children. Those are all things that the prophet has taught recently. Is that really all that bad?

• Idaho Reader
    Jan. 10, 2008 7:31 p.m.

I'm in Idaho and the ONLY reason I read your website is for coverage of the Church and topics that are of interest to its members. This is a great move. Please continue in this direction.

• LDS in VA
    Jan. 10, 2008 8:22 p.m.

Thanks so much for this wonderful addition. I read the Deseret News online every day to keep up on what is happening in Utah while I have to live out of state for awhile, and I will be looking forward to the Mormon Times every Thursday.

• Cavalier
    Jan. 10, 2008 9:29 p.m.

I think that this is a great idea . . . whoever you hire to manage this should be a highly talented individual. Thank you Joe.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 10, 2008 10:58 p.m.

Mr. Cannon,

1- This is a good idea. It serves your readers well.

2- Now, take the next step and become a conservative paper. Quit this watered-down tribune business.

3- Improve your paper's integrity by dumping your lobbyist opinion writers.

4- Require identification for posting. Too many trolls.

• SS
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:16 p.m.

Although I tire of the anti-Mormon nut jobs that chime in on nearly every article that mentions the LDS Church (don't they have jobs?), I am not sure if this is a good idea. I enjoy this paper's reporting, although the sports section could be beefed up a bit. But--this paper already reports thoroughly on LDS news, and additional reading can be had in the Church News. Mormon Times may be more appropriate in a place where there isn't a church on every corner, and 5 out of 6 neighbors are LDS. In Utah, it seems to be overkill.

• Colorado
    Jan. 10, 2008 11:34 p.m.

Hey Bear Lake, Learn how to spell. It is a Prophet.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 11, 2008 12:48 a.m.

Can't believe all the negative comments on the Deseret News creating a section on Mormonism. Last time I looked, SLC was the headquarters of the LDS faith. If you don't want to read about things related to Mormonism, skip the section. DUH! Honestly, some of you bigots need to get a life!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 11, 2008 2:41 a.m.

... and to think, most newspapers are cutting down on the comedic factor of its coverage. Congrats, LDS/Mormon contributors. Quite sure the less the Deseret finds to publish the more they shall be needing to dig up.

• Deseret Dawg
    Jan. 11, 2008 3:04 a.m.

Excellent! I look forward to reading the online version of Mormon News. And by coming up with such a distinct feature, the Deseret News is actually adding to journalistic diversity.

Now, how can all of you out there who claim to celebrate "diversity" possibly object to more diversity in journalism? Unless, of course, your definition of diversity is merely to be "alike in different ways". LOL!

• CeeSee
    Jan. 11, 2008 6:19 a.m.

Two comments: In the BOM, Mormon writes "...it is strange to relate, not long after their dissensions they became more hardened and cimpenitent, and more wild, wicked and ferocious than the Lamanites ..." See Alma 47:36. I would bet that many of the most anti-Mormon writers on this site, were once members, could not live the gospel, and not spew hatred because their consciences eat at them and they hate it.

2nd, we as members have much of the blame for those who move to Utah and see us as stand offish as we explain the gospel using words such as "only true church" etc. Also, when was the last time you invited a non-Mormon neighbor over for dinner just to be neighborly without hopes to preach the gospel to them. Especially one who might smoke or drink. How many times do we tell our children (especially teenagers) don't associate with non-Mormom kids, because they don't have the same morals. Many do but we don't know it. We are asked to raise the fallen up. To do that, we have to give them a hand, even if theirs are dirty. Look at yours, are they completely clean?

• Hey Colorado
    Jan. 11, 2008 6:29 a.m.

Bear Lakes spelling of "profit" was purposeful. Do you understand play on words?

• Carole Knowles
    Jan. 11, 2008 6:38 a.m.

Great idea.

• re: COLORADO
    Jan. 11, 2008 7:19 a.m.

re; Colorado, I think he was just smarting off at you. He deliberately misspelled ( PROPHET ) It was done purposely to agitate you . We know you like to correct peoples spelling for some reason??? Have fun because there are too many out there on blogs who do it.

• Convert
    Jan. 11, 2008 7:55 a.m.

It was not a journey of intellectual debating the issues or of reading about the Church that inspired my conversion. It was a very personal journey with a lot of spiritual testimony to it. Admittedly, if you don't have the spiritual testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and understand that there are stages in the revelation of God's will, no amount of reading about the Church will sink deep into your consciousness. You will prophet nothing. :-)

I work with Jews and Muslims. My entire family of priests and nuns are Catholics and we have a history of fighting for civil rights in Louisiana. I'm not voting for Romney and I don't align with conservative Republicans, yet I have a powerful, life changing testimony of the LDS Church. I could not have gotten this from reading about it in a newspaper. But, I could have gotten more general information about the Church.
    I hope we continue to be a POSITIVE example of religious tolerance and respect for the Sunni, Sufi and Shia Muslims. They need an ensign of how to meld in harmony. Can we give it to them?

Peace Out.

• bearlake's brother
    Jan. 11, 2008 8:42 a.m.

Of course you don't have to do all those things to return to Heavenly Father. All are saved through Jesus Christ. Salvation is a free gift, LDS or not. But there are many mansions, referring to exaltation. All those things you mentioned are not checkboxes to be marked off, but they are actions on our part that indicates the level of our faith in him.

• nonUtah Mormon
    Jan. 11, 2008 10:02 a.m.

I've lived outside Utah most of my adult life. We moved back about 8 years ago. It's very refreshing to be back living in a PG rated community. My 12 year old son heard a swear word a while back and said "that's the first time I've ever heard somebody say that word." While the rest of the world laughs at how naive he is, I explode with grattitude that there is such a place. If you haven't lived outside of Utah you don't know what I'm talking about. I grew up in a state back east where that word was used 2 or 3 times in every sentence. I LOVE THIS PLACE! It may be the last great refuge on the planet. Thank you DN for pushing this little community in the desert in the right direction!

• Matt
    Jan. 11, 2008 10:54 a.m.

So let me get this right, and correct me if I'm wrong.

The mormon church owns the Deseret News as well as Desnews.com.

The mormon church publishes the "official" church news as an insert to the local Deseret News.

The mormon church now feels it is necessary to put in an addition to the regular paper IN ADDITION to the "official" church news to further spread its propaganda.

Looks like the mormon church is in trouble.

• LDS in TX
    Jan. 11, 2008 10:57 a.m.

Best wishes to Joe Cannon and his staff on their most recent effort to give the readers of the Deseret News what they want. Unfortunately this announcement has become a "call to arms" for those who do not enjoy the newspaper in the first place. The best comment so far is the suggestion that the Deseret News require identification before publishing a comment!

I have a few comments of my own - for those who like to murmur, grumble, and whine:
    Every U.S. citizen has the right to choose his/her reading material. Similar rights are guaranteed for choosing where one lives, works, worships, and pursues higher education. If you are unhappy with your life, take control and change it. Living in an area where most of the people obey the ten commandments is not easy, nor for everyone. Reading a news publication of and for this group may not be to one's liking. Do something else.

But please do not tread on MY rights to access this publication and improve my day. Living far from SLC, I appreciate reading news about my church. How do I subscribe to the complete online publication?

• Dear Matt
    Jan. 11, 2008 12:18 p.m.

Just how do you think the "Mormon" Church is in trouble?

• Question
    Jan. 11, 2008 12:42 p.m.

Will there be a Q & A section, that anyone can use? That would be very helpful !!!

• Why??
    Jan. 11, 2008 2:03 p.m.

Why don't some of you out there just let Mormons live their lives and believe what they want to believe without your uneducated comments? Quit worrying about what others are doing and try worrying about yourselves. You are obviously quite disgruntled and so unhappy with your own lives that you have to constantly pick on those who are happy with their lives to make you feel better. Pathetic!

• Ezra Smith
    Jan. 11, 2008 3:03 p.m.

The funniest thing about all these comments are the calls for people to leave the state if they don't like what the Mormons do. There was a talk in General Conference, I think it was by Russ Ballard saying how bad it is to tell someone to move if they don't like what Mormons are doing in the State. And anyone who still claims that Joseph Smith had less than 15 wives, including at least one who was 14 years of age, (and he did have sex with most of them) is uneducated. Accurate historical websites or books are not automatically anti-mormon just because you didn't hear those things when you grew up in the church. Grow up.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 11, 2008 3:07 p.m.

I find it sad that so much hatred exists. Most of us have strong opinions, but we only become opinionated when we try to force those opinions on others. I think we all believe our opinions are correct or we wouldn't have them. Let's all just try to believe what we think is correct without demeaning or belittling those who might not believe the same.

• Nate Jeppson
    Jan. 11, 2008 4:19 p.m.

I was thrilled to hear about this new addition to the Deseret News! If the Deseret News does not do something like this, who will?

I like the idea of a Q & A section - something similiar to what Joseph Fielding Smith did (his 5 volume book Answers to Gospel Questions is wonderful). I am sure that readers have lots of gospel questions related to more modern church issues that could be addressed. Of course it would be wonderful if they were "official" church answers. But I would still very much enjoy "unofficial" answers from an apostle, other general authority or an area seventy. General authorities write "unofficial" books all the time, so I would think it would be acceptable for them to write a newspaper column.

Thank you Mr. Cannon!

• oh,
    Jan. 11, 2008 5:03 p.m.

get real!

• Adam12
    Jan. 11, 2008 5:13 p.m.

I don't need to be "edified" by newspaper articles. What I do need is honest reporting and editorials about what the church is doing. Re: What is the real story behind City Creek? I don't need to hear about Scout Troops in North Carolina nor do I need stories about Visiting Teaching from a wheelchair. Just the facts, Ma'm.

• jersey boy
    Jan. 11, 2008 5:30 p.m.

K-dog. if it is such a worthless rag, why are you reading it, or maybe you can use if you aren't house trained.

• 93 cougar
    Jan. 12, 2008 12:12 a.m.

I still don't get why we can't subscribe to the Church News unless we subscribe to the Deseret News as well.

Also, whenever I type Deseret it comes up as spelled wrong. Someone at the paper needs to add their own name to the spell checker being used...

• James
    Jan. 12, 2008 7:35 a.m.

We just don't want unaware souls to fall into the trap of Mormonism. That's why we speak out. It's so frustrating when good people are just unwilling to accept that there are serious concerns about the origen and modern-day teachings of the LDS faith.

• Mormonboy
    Jan. 13, 2008 4:58 p.m.

I say all for it. If you don't want to read it, then don't. Don't exclude the rest of us from the news we want to read just because you don't want to waste a page of the paper devoted to who founded where you live.
    Thank you and good night.

• t3
    Jan. 13, 2008 9:52 p.m.

I agree with LDS in Texas. Please do not attempt to stamp out our right to have this venue in which to access further information that is important and interesting to us as members of the LDS church. Celebrate diversity, we are different from each other, and therefore want different information. I think we are all capable of picking and choosing what we will or will not read. So carry on with the Mormon Times, I look forward to reading.

• Dear James
    Jan. 14, 2008 1:11 p.m.

If the LDS Church is true in what it professes, you and those like you will have denigrated the Church for naught. If it does not have the truth, then no one else has it either. And it doesn't matter what we believe and teach.

I'm trying to visualize the "serious concerns" you say you have.

There's a scripture that encourages all who want to know truth to study and pray "with real intent." I have taught many investigators who could never understand "real intent."

Some didn't want to know for sure because they then would be held accountable before God. They liked the things they found to be contrary to LDS beliefs and didn't want to give them up. Others didn't want to know because they had a self-appointed desire to stop anyone who might end up more happy than they.

If those who have self-imposed issues want to know, try with "real intent." Real intent means honestly without guile. The results might be interesting to you.

• I only read the cooking
    Jan. 14, 2008 5:16 p.m.

I must be missing something on this article. Is the new section adding enough weight to the paper to cause lifting/spine concerns? Are they replacing the science/cooking section with it? Are they increasing subscription costs for the paper? Is there an over-reaction contest going on this week? No? Then who cares!

• CL
    Jan. 15, 2008 10:57 p.m.

Why not put this section in with the church news on Saturday instead of all of the advertising for huge homes? That would seem to be more consistent with mormon teaching to live within our means.

• I don't read the cooking either
    Jan. 16, 2008 2:05 a.m.

Here's how I see it.

If I enjoyed the DesNews staff writing, the national columnists that I can't find in the Trib, and I found the reporting of regional stories superior to the Tribs-

And if I thought the DesNews covered politics better and that the Editorial Board was aligned closer to my own philosophy and views-

And if I abhorred all things Mormons as some of the complainers seem to do Id welcome a section that contained ALL THE MORMON STUFF IN ONE PLACE.

Then like I do the Ads and Sports; I would toss it into the garbage on my way to my easy chair where I'll sit down and read the rest of it.

I see absolutely no value in having a separate section since we have already the Church News. I enjoy reading it cover to cover to learn the latest about Church activities. I can't think of anything targeted for the new section that can't go into the Church news.

HOWEVER, If it turns into nothing more than a chest-thumping puff piece advertising CTR rings, Angel Moroni Christmas tree toppers, fridg magnets, slogans, bumperstickers, and other Mormon paraphernalia then Ill just toss it too.

• Re: "Why??"
    Jan. 17, 2008 10:48 a.m.

"Why don't some of you out there just let Mormons live their lives and believe what they want to believe without your uneducated comments? Quite worrying about what others are doing and try worrying about yourselves. You are obviously quite disgruntled and so unhappy with your own lives that you have to constantly pick on those who are happy with their lives to make you feel better. Pathetic!"

Huh, why don't the Mormons just let other people live their lives without worrying about our "salvation"? Quit sending missionaries to our doors. We don't want you coming around. You Mormons can cry persecution and bigotry aimed at you all you want, but it goes both ways.

Your missionaries come to our doors uneducated about the real teachings of their church. Leaders purposefully white-wash it so as not to scare off "investigators". There's no such thing as "investigators". There's just people who are too polite to slam the door in your face when you come interrupting our lives.

Stop trying to play the victim card. If you really want to go there, then call off your missionary program. If we offend you, it's only because you offend us with your arrogant impositions.

• Amos L. Wright
    Jan. 17, 2008 11:11 a.m.

Thanks for the Mormon Times section. I returned to Utah 30 years ago and have enjoyed the Deseret News during that time, but always wondered why the Religion pages only covered activities of churches other than ours. A visitor to Salt Lake who read the Deseret News on a weekday would have never known there are hundreds of Mormon congregations here all of which have newsworthy activities just as deserving of news coverage. Maybe you could expand the Mormon Times to be published each day. Many thanks to you Mssrs. Cannon, Schneider, Shill, Walker, Larson, Card, Johnson, and the many reporters. Keep up the good work.

• Sue in VA
    Jan. 21, 2008 9:26 a.m.

Wow, there are certainly a lot of Angry people reading this section. It will be interesting to me to see what is in this interactive part of DesNews. Seems there is intolerance with both members and non-members here. In my community, we live together nicely and judge each other on the way we live and behave, not on religion.

• Mary
    Jan. 21, 2008 4:19 p.m.

Every good newspaper knows its audience; and it is the responsibility of that newspaper to not only be informative, but also to address the relevant issues of its readers. Nearly 97% of the Deseret News subscribers are of the LDS faith, which is perhaps why the weekly Church News is such a key component of its circulation. However, it is also the responsibility of every good newspaper to be a forum for new ideas and opinions.

As I understand it, there is a monumental difference between the weekly Church News and the Mormon Times. The former is given the seal of approval by church leaders, and the latter is not. Therefore, the aforementioned criticism of the Mormon Times being used as an agent of exclusion is inaccurate. In contrast, this portion of the newspaper has the capabilities of opening the channels of discussion between Mormons and non-Mormons, by facilitating a convalescent understanding of cultural differences. Further, it also has the ability to face hard hitting issues on a more personal scale than the Church News; ie. divorce, financial trouble etc.

• Krystal
    Jan. 23, 2008 10:15 a.m.

I am so excited about the Mormon Times. I read your newspaper online however depending on the content of the Mormon Times I am tempted to get a subscription and because I love the Church News. It's so positive and upbeat compared to most newspapers. I hope the content is similar to LDS Living Magazine and the Utah Valley Magazine because they are so helpful with practical ways of improving life and family life. Thanks!

• Nate
    May 5, 2008 2:04 p.m.

To SB - It is a misnomer to say Utah has little seperation of Church and State. The church protects its interests in the state as it finds necessary and lawful, but it doesn't seek to inject itself into most discussions that are in the State's domain. I have lived in several eastern/southern states and found their governments to be much more influenced by the local religions. States like Kansas, where the school board seeks to throw science out the window in favor of religious symbolic mythology. The entire bible belt, from Texas to South Carolina, constantly trying to inject evangelical christianity into the courts and public life. Utah has a good balance considering it is like Italy, for the Catholics - and SLC is equivalent to Rome.

• Virginia Thomas
    May 30, 2009 7:36 p.m.

I really enjoy Mormon Times it is great!! I read it from cover to cover. I especially like Brother Cards articles. Actually all the articles are informative and helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks for all you do to make it possible for us. We live in Wisconsin so we do not get alot of what you may find out West for information. It would be great if it was called the LDS Times as we get alot of flack about not being Christian in our area and that would help clear that up. We could then explain the full names is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Thank you so much for all you do to make this section possible for us.

• Julia Skinner
    June 24, 2009 9:15 p.m.

Great paper - very informative. How do I obtain a copy of a recent article?