Scott D. Pierce: Ch. 4's Ute coach's show embarrassing

Comments

• Bleeds blue
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:34 a.m.

This criticism is coming from a writer who recently wrote a story saying a "Utahn" had won dancing with the stars, but then no where in his story did he ever mentioned the connection to Utah. And he claims to be professional? And what about the fact that the Dnews even promoted its own BYU writer as "bleeding blue." The only homer around is KSL Wrubell, who actually took the stage after the win and led BYU's celebration. Now that's unprofessional and embarassing.

• Norge Coug
    Nov. 30, 2007 3:56 a.m.

Maybe in your next column you can comment on the biggest homers since Harry Care:, Frank Dolce and co.

• SJ Bobkins
    Nov. 30, 2007 4:29 a.m.

Let's all hope and pray that the unworkable "the mnt" soon sinks back into depths of hades from whence it was created, by unwise and unknowing, college presidents. What an idea, "let's have our own network, but make it so nobody outside the small cities that make up most MWC college towns, can find visual evidence that the teams exist".
    I'm betting it was the WAC that secretly put up the money to keep their competitor off the satellites, so they wouldn't have to compete with the MWC for ESPN coverage. Putting college presidents in charge of conference athletics is like appointing Richard Nixon to run professional "wrestling".
    Imagine letting stuffed shirted men and a woman, who never got their pants dirty or anything but A+'s and always came the first time their mom called as kids now having any idea how the hardscrabble, dirty and sweaty world of sports works. I'd rather give my youngest child an AK-47 (not the kind that cries) for Christmas. You want play-offs and to see your team play, let the AD's make the decisions.

• Channel 4?
    Nov. 30, 2007 4:52 a.m.

Never watch it anyway. Doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

• Homer
    Nov. 30, 2007 6:41 a.m.

This is an embarrassment. You owe readers an apology for writing this.

• censors
    Nov. 30, 2007 6:47 a.m.

Why do they keep removing comments that are negative regarding the article but not offensive? Hmmmm, now I can no longer read the desnews or the trib. Like Putin, Big brother in Utah has effective control of the press:)

• footballfan
    Nov. 30, 2007 6:51 a.m.

Saw the show and thought the announcers had been cued ahead of time to make the points that Whittingham wanted to make, but couldn't without sounding like a whiner. Channel 4 leads with bias.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2007 6:55 a.m.

Be quiet BYU Fan.

• Jim
    Nov. 30, 2007 7:00 a.m.

That's funny. You diplay your BYU homerism in this article in which you complain about people being Utah homers. Pretty Hypocritical. LOL.

• Utah Ute 72
    Nov. 30, 2007 7:17 a.m.

Is there any media in this market that doesn't wear BYU blue tinted glasses. I have my own issues with the coaches show, like Rupp and Rupe laughing thoughout the show after the OSU loss and injuries, but come on, it's a coaches show, what do you want them to say" "Yep you guys played terrible and BYU is great", like every other media person in the local area.

• What a thing to write about...
    Nov. 30, 2007 7:25 a.m.

The war in Iraq, disease, wildfires, crime, the weather. These are some things to write about.
    You must have some kind of vendetta against Ruff. I am not a fan of either team, but can clearly see that whoever wrote this sympathizes with BYU. I thought we believed in freedom of speech in this country....

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2007 7:44 a.m.

The mtn. stinks.

• RH
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:05 a.m.

Obviously, Mr. Pierce is a Y fan so why does he watch the Red Zone? I see nothing wrong with them being a "cheerleader" and promoting the Utes. The other channels do a good job of "cheerleading" the Y, so get a grip.
    As for the poor officiating in the game, the refs really need to make the calls throughout the game, not just at the end. The officials did a poor job overall, missing calls on both sides. Good job by Coach W for keeping quiet when asked about the officials.
    Enough said. GO UTES!

• Ch. 4 used to be pro BYU
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:08 a.m.

And Ruff seemed to be a big BYU homer. This was 10 years ago or so.

I guess they follow whoever is paying the bills.

• Trojan man
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:08 a.m.

I am a USC man all the way. I can't stand to watch Tom Kirkland. He is the biggest BYU cheerleader in the state. I have seen the channel 4 show as well, and I haven't noticed the cheerleading that I see with Tom "Cougar" Kirkland. Maybe I need to watch more. How come non of the cougar fans aren't upset that in the last two years they have lost 4 games they should have won? If they would be ready to play from the start of the year, they would be in the BCS. It is time to see BYU set their sights on more than just beating up on a weak mountain west and try and do something real.

• Mike in Austin
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:09 a.m.

Wow.... I like you Scott. But, to complain about Utah media being homers for the Utes as it relates to BYU is a bit over-the-top don't you think?

Seriously, since moving to Texas 8 years ago, (while still reading Utah newspapers on an almost daily basis), it's clear to me that the majority of media in Utah are BYU homers. Of course, media are people too and favor their own teams. But, it's a stretch to think the media in Utah favors Utah over BYU.

• Wes Ruff is a Cougar
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:09 a.m.

That doesn't make sense to me since Wesley Ruff is a BYU alum. I have worked on the sidelines with him in the past and I didn't get a sense that he was a Utah fan.

My guess is that KTVX is pushing for them to be Ute "Homers" to give an outlet for those that only have the Kirkland show to watch. In the end it comes down to picking a format that will draw in viewers.

There is nothing wrong with sports anchors picking sides in a local market. It happens all the time. Sports journalism has more bias than political journalism, but that is what keeps it interesting.

• Lance
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:10 a.m.

There is no question that channel 4 sports is by far the worst. I watch Channel 2, which I feel is the best and then Channel 5.

Rankings
    1-Ch. 2
    2-Ch. 5
    3-Ch. 13
    4-KBYU
    5-My kid's jr. high
    6-Ch. 4

• Shoes
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:20 a.m.

Stupid article (talk about the pot calling the kettle black!), but maybe you're on to something here. Whether it's BYU or Utah, having homers interview coaches is like pouring gas on a fire, and it becomes painful to watch.

So how about this?.......let's have Utah homers host the BYU coaches show, and BYU homers host the Utah coaches show. Let's watch Kyle and Bronco squirm! At least it would be entertaining.

• an observation.....
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:21 a.m.

I would expect the Ute show on Channel 4 and the Cougar coaches show (on channel 5 still I believe) to somewhat slanted towards their own teams.

I find it ironic that Scott finds a show that is supposed to be about the Utes to be offensive because it favors Utah, but seems to have no problems with some of the mtn network announcers who are supposedly neutral who have been accused by some to be somewhat biased towards the Cougars. (Todd Christensen used "WE" to describe his former team at one point in Saturday's contest.)

• WOW
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:29 a.m.

What about KSL constantly promoting that they are the Cougars station? I keep watching KSL even though I despise the fact they have to promote BYU, but I have my choice to not watch or listen. So...

• Hypocritical
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:33 a.m.

Wow, I'm a USU alum and to even write and article about another news agency being cheerleaders makes the Deseret News look like hypocrits. Channel 5 and the Deseret News both overcover the Y and it's hard for me to stomach watching or reading either one of them.

Which is blacker the pot or the kettle?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:46 a.m.

This article could replace the words "Ch. 4" with "KSL" and it would be right on point. Are you kidding me?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:48 a.m.

How can any newspaper that employs Dick Harmon complain about anybody else being a homer?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:54 a.m.

I have never read a more hypocritical article in my life. As a footbal fan and not a Ute or a Cougar fan, there is no question that the hit by Kehl was just as worthy of a penalty as the one called late in the game. The hallmark of good officiating is consistency. The Mountain West should be ashamed of the crew that worked this game. I guess the game assigner is the same person that brokered the T.V. package.......

• cougs
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:55 a.m.

I am a cougar fan but this was a horrible article. write about something worth writing about.

• jb
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:57 a.m.

Uhhh... ummmm... its a "coaches" show... and you were expecting? BTW, Ruff looks awesome in red.

• Dutchman
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:57 a.m.

Get a clue Scott. Channel 4 won the bidding rights, has a contract, and pays the U to be their official local media outlet. That gives them the right to cheerlead the U all they want.

• Confused
    Nov. 30, 2007 8:59 a.m.

You are criticizing two former sportscasters of the year award winners!!!!! Just out of curiosity, what have you won?????

• Mike
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:00 a.m.

Please, no more complaints about the dismal coverage, or lack thereof, provided by the mtn Network unless you have contacted (at least one) the people responsible for this mess.

Calling Dish or DirectTV accomplishes absolutely nothing (as many of us have found out). But writing to the University Presidents and the Conference Commissioner might get them to acknowledge their huge mistake.

You Cougar fans should write to:
    President Cecil O. Samuelson
    D-146 ASB
    Brigham Young University

Ask Dr. Samuelson to explain why he (and the others) made such a huge mistake.

Write a letter today.
    Provo, UT 84602-1346

• BYU Fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:02 a.m.

As a Cougar Fan having watched the show....I have no problems with the media being biased towards the utes. IT IS THEIR SHOW! The only problem I would have is if they are presenting false information (which is one of the reasons I hate Kirkland on the cougars show). Let the hosts of the UTAH show be biased towards those that are watching..Utah Fans. Let Kirkland be biased towards BYU since it is BYU fans being the target. But to both stations....GET THE FACTS RIGHT. Don't dog BYU for something that is not factually correct and don't do the same to the Utes...both teams deserve better than that. And I agree Coach W has done a great job keeping his mouth shut and letting us cougar fans enjoy the win without having to rehash bad calls (both ways) through out the game. BYU 35 SDSU 10!

• He knows how it works
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:02 a.m.

Pierce knows the station gets big bucks to promote the U, so Ruff and Rupp have no choice but to be Utah homers. So Pierce picking on them personally is totally classless. If he wants to criticize the conflict the media has when it makes these kind of deals, then that's one thing. But He sure wouldn't do the same to the homers working at his paper, or the KSL guy who has unofficially become the spokesman of BYU sports.

And that guy who says Channel 2 is the best is nuts. Dave Fox is the worst.

• USC/Highest ranking school's fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:03 a.m.

Great Article. Keep up the great work...Could you please pound on the Mtn. more? Also, did you notice that right before the play Unga scored on, that the play clock had clearly shown "zero"for a couple of seconds?

• die Wahrheit
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:17 a.m.

Are you kidding me? They aren't paid to be objective, they are paid to be homers. If you don't like it, why don't you exercise your freedom of choice and change the channel?

• Sports Fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:18 a.m.

Hey local sports commentary police! Do like I do. I don't pay much attention to local sportscasters. They are irrelevant. If you want to get any sports news in this area go to the real sources on the radio or TV....ESPN, etc.. It's the same with the so called regular news anchors. Thankfully there are windows to the outside world.

• Disinterested bystander
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:21 a.m.

It is laughable that Pierce considers himself a "journalist", he is not. Coaches shows are not "journalism" either. Get over yourself already.

• Jaxs
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:21 a.m.

I have known Mr. Wesley Ruff for years, and this article lacked taste, to say those things about Wes is totally uncalled for, What happended did Wes do something to you or offend you? I think Wes is probably one of the best sports anchors in the SLC market, He always has had some of the best news packages. The day he finally got the lead anchoring job was the best decision KTVX made.

Even though I am more of a Cougar fan, I still will cheer on the Utes 11 games a year, Because I now live in Vegas when ever I get the chance I try to catch his show when it is broadcast on the Mtn. or CSTV. I watch it because of Wes.

• Ute Fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:25 a.m.

I'm a Ute fan, but I agree with this article. How often has Tom Kirkland wore a BYU shirt while interviewing Bronco? Never.

The "Red Zone" is like a High School kid interviewing his football coach for the weekly school report.

Note to Ruff and Rupe: You are professional journalists, don't wear Ute clothes while doing the Ute coaches show. A shirt and tie never killed anybody.

• Stupid Article
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:29 a.m.

Stupid article. It's funny that a story would be written about this without pointing out or at least mentioning how horribly one sided the announcer's were on the MNT for the Utah, byu game. Talk about one sided reporting. They harped the whole game about calls that were supposed to go against Utah and for byu. This article should've been called "Scott Pierce's column embarrassing".

• True Blue Cougar Fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:34 a.m.

Coming from a HUGE Cougar fan and anyone who plays Utah, I am really disappointed in this completely hypocritical article. Now, my thoughts on the game... You lost the game with the 4th and 18 and you are all finding any excuse you can...The officiating may have been questionable at times, but I am tired of hearing the conspiracy theory amongst Ute fans!
    BYU 32 SDSU 13.

• kjus
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:35 a.m.

hhmmm. My comments doen't make it on D-News because I was ripping Kirkland. Yet this jounalist rips a station who is in competition with KSL-Byu. Unbelievable.

• There it is again
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:39 a.m.

I agree somewhat with what was said earlier, if channel 4 wants to be ute fans, that's fine. KSL is biased towards BYU, and that's fine too. So we both have our little sports fans in both TV stations. What bothers me is that Pierce did make a good point about Kyle Whittingham. I swear that coach is the biggest crybaby. He has no ownership for his losses and he makes dumb excuses like penalties won the game for BYU. I think its penalties against BYU and other mistakes that kept Utah in the game. There weren't as many on BYU, but they came at just the right times (like the called back touchdown, for example). Bronco Mendenhall would never make dumb excuses for a loss, I'm so glad we have a coach like him. If Whittingham were the coach right now for BYU I have a feeling we would still be experiencing much of the problems from the Crowton years.

• JJ
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:40 a.m.

To author of Stupid Article:

I guess the mtn. guys did their job then, because as a BYU fan I thought that they were completely biased towards Utah. I feel a lot of times that because Christensen is a graduate of BYU, he tries to overcompensate during his BYU broadcasts.

• Jack
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:43 a.m.

Considering Michael Moore is a "journalist," I think unbiasedness as a qualification is shot out the window. As long as the program doesn't purport to be news, it can have all the spin it'd like.

Just like Moore.

• Ute Fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:43 a.m.

Not sure what the big deal is. No one watches Channel 4 anyway.

• Bias
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:52 a.m.

If you wanted to write an interesting and factual article on bias in reporting and sportscasting it should have been on the two clowns that did the Utah-Byu game on the MTN....there was a Cooger homer job if ever there was one

• Dick
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:54 a.m.

To "There it is again":

Whittingham has said nothing publically about the officiating in the loss to BYU. He wasn't a crybaby nor did he make excuses for the loss. You are out of line for stating he "makes dumb excuses like penalties won the game for BYU." Get off your high horse and read his comments or watch his show before making outlandish claims like that.

Also, Pierce's column didn't accuse Whittingham of making those comments - in fact the column praised him for remaining quiet. Since that is the case, how do you think Pierce "made a good point about Whittingham" when he didn't rip him?

Your reading and listening comprehension has a lot to be desired.

• Dick
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:56 a.m.

I'm wondering, all the major local stations clearly are biased and cheering for the Jazz. Not just the sports anchors, but the news guys also.

Does that mean they can't be good journalists since they have biases? Or does that rule only apply to journalists in the college realm?

Nobody can claim any of the local guys, including the quasi God Dick Nourse, are impartial when it comes to the Jazz.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:07 a.m.

Scott Pierce never passes up an opportunity to criticize the lack of objectivity in sports journalists. Sports has always been a bit different because teams enter into contracts with media outlets to promote their teams. The fact that channel 4 has a Utah show indicates to fans that there is going to be a Utah emphasis. The public doesn't care Scott. The public also questions the objectivity of all media outlets. The fact is media outlets are very keen to selling their products to the public and will use any hook they can. Its becoming more and more about entertainment.

• to ch.4
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:07 a.m.

dont diss on bryan kehl. he is a class act and always has been. good career bryan. go get them on saturday

• aggiejump
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:09 a.m.

It was on the MTN so no one saw the hit so get over it. Who cares......

• Ruff and Rupp a joke!
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:15 a.m.

I rarely watch channel 4 (and obviously I'm not alone) because they are SOOOO weak in almost every area. They are particular weak at sports - they THINK they are popular, but Wes and Kent are so lame and conceited - they actually think they do a good job!

• JRD
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:22 a.m.

The reason I no longer watch KSL is due to Tom Kirkland. I do not know of any Homer worse than him. I think that Scott got a little offended when somebody else expressed thier opinion, that did not coincide with his own.

• utes
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:22 a.m.

The mtn. needs to get some real announcers total homers toward the Y, they even have nicknames for BYU players. As a ute fan i really don't like the show on Channel 4, mainly because those two are always joking around, and they don't seem to let whitt talk much. Who cares though what a waste of an article.

• Foolish
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:23 a.m.

Pierce, you've really made your paper and yourself look foolish on this one. So hypocritical. No paper bleeds Blue like you guys.

• CaliCoug
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:26 a.m.

It just makes it so much sweeter to hear the ewe faithful complain about the refs -- it lets me know they are that much angrier about the loss. How sweet it is!!! Now if only they could dig up Bill Marcroft and let him rant for a while about his beloved euwetes...

• Seen It All
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:28 a.m.

Hey Scott, why not include your own Mike Sorensen with the list of Ute homers?
    Yes, Harmon is biased toward BYU. But Sorensen is just as bad when it comes to favoring the Utes. His column on Monday morning was the most whiny, apologetic piece of trash I have ever read.
    The D-News has some real credibility issues, both with Harmon and Sorensen.

• Why not Rupp as well
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:35 a.m.

I watched the show. I wasn't put off as much by Ruff as I was by Kent Rupp. He couldn't seem to wait to start criticizing the officials for calls. Didn't seem to want to talk about the questionable calls that went in Utah's favor. But he chose the most favorable replay angles to illustrate his point.

Rupp isn't a journalist. He is a cheerleader. He just as well have worn the cheerleading sweater and a skirt instead of the red Utah shirt.

• channel changer
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:36 a.m.

Its a good show..........

It reminds me that The Beverly Hillbillies are coming on.

• class act?
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:40 a.m.

Brian Kehl is not a class act. He is probably the biggest Provo trash talker since Jim McMahon.

• Dave
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:57 a.m.

Nice article Scott!! If your article isn't the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is. The Deseret News is by far the most biased newspaper I have ever read when it comes to favortism toward BYU. It's absolutely ridiculous!! You are probably of the mindset that BYU should be a BCS team aren't you Scott??

Now I know why I skip over most of Scott's articles and the Deseret News in general.

• The MTN coverage
    Nov. 30, 2007 10:59 a.m.

Todd Christensen did a terrible job calling the game. He was never anything but critical. Never once made a positive comment. Not even after Harvey Unga scored the touchdown did he give him any praise. Todd its okay to say something positive once in a while. About either team. I hate hearing overly critical sportscasters who thing they know everything.

• RE: Dick
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:17 a.m.

I was just messin around with the whole coach K. Whit comment. I just wanted to see how anyone would respond, and they did. I got a kick out of it.

Utah did do a great job on defense in the game against BYU, and I realize coach Whittingham is a different coach than Bronco Mendenhall. But I will admit that there are things that Coach Whit. does and says sometimes in his coaching style that rub me the wrong way. I even know some of the players on the Ute defense that are pretty decent guys, like Paul Kruger. I read the article about Robert Johnson, the safety at Utah, and he seems pretty cool too, he has an interesting background.

• Austin Cougar Fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:25 a.m.

Its Sports, of course there is a bias. That is why people turn on Ch. 4--they want to hear how great Utah is. If you want to hear how great BYU is turn on Ch. 5 (or KSL--thank heavens Greg Wrubell doesn't seemed concerned with bias--makes listening to the games so much more fun).

If there is one thing I have learned living in the the land of the University of Texas it is that the Austin news outlets are lucky to only have to try and cover UT, they would be in real trouble having to replace the swim team news with another schools basketball scores.

Only in really large markets like LA, do news outlets run into the same problems as the Salt Lake outlets do, multipule large Universities with competitive teams. In Texas every handful of counties has there own stations. Austin doesn't even really try to cover anything else (I thought for awhile after moving here that all other college/pro sports were suspended unless they were playing UT or had a former UT athlete on there team).

Support your team, have fun, learn which channels to watch/listen to, and which columns to read.

Go Cougars!!!!

• PapaCorn
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:30 a.m.

Thanks Scott for this. I can't stand Wesley Ruff and Kent Rupe and Dana Green for that matter. Ruff still looks uncomfortable in front of the camera...even after all these years. Dana Green needs to turn it down a few notches. Rupe is fine when he's reading from the teleprompter but is awful when trying to have a live discussion.

I must agree. Ruff and Rupe were SO unprofessional during the show. Rupe wasted no time in questioning the personal foul and interferance calls. By the time they got Whittingham to say "no comment" I turned the channel.

• we'll get ya next year
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:39 a.m.

How can anyone say that Kehl's hit wasn't with his helmet? I don't know what replay the author was watching but he for sure put his helmet right in Brooks' back. yeah real class act. Granted BYU probably would've scored on that drive at the end anyway, but you gotta love giving them 30 extra yards on penalties. Must be due to Austin Collie's righteousness....anyway it was a good game and here's looking to next year! GO UTES!!!!

• This is news?
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:40 a.m.

Oh my heck first you do another story about Redford's LDS comments and now this? Come on D News what are you thinking? This isn't newsworthy! Now I'm starting to understand why some people refer to this publication as the "Desperate News".

• Ute fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:45 a.m.

Thanks Scott. Welcome to the world of Ute fans. We Ute fans have dealt with this type of bias for years on KSL radio and television, as well as local newspapers such as this one. Of course Ute fans are just whiners when we mention this. Nice job...homer.

• Steve
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:54 a.m.

Re MTN!!!!!!!!!!!

If BYU fans think that the mtn announcers are biased against BYU, than they have got some serious problems. Look at all the awards they handed out during the BYU Utah broadcast. Guess who they all went to? Not Utah. The BYU alum broadcasters have to go. Better yet get rid of the MTN and the broadcasters go to!!!! Seems like a win-win!!

• R7Cougar
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:08 p.m.

Go easy on the Red Zone show, utah fans need a chance to catch up on their football highlights especially since most of them choose not to go to the home games and the others are too busy following ute gymnastics.

• Pierce Fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:14 p.m.

Pierce is a TV critic. He's critisizing a poor TV show. Which, if I'm not mistaken is his job. Anyone that has watched it knows its bad, even embarassing. It would be better if Ruff and Rupe would at least play the part of journalists. For a good example of how it should be done watch David James on the Jazz Pre and Post game shows.

• JB
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:21 p.m.

Who even cares. If someone doesnt like it then dont watch it! I'm sure it the ratings were bad Channel 4 would look to make changes.

• Ch 4
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:22 p.m.

Who watches ch 4 anyway? They dress, act, and report unprofessionally.

• JeffGold
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:39 p.m.

Way too critical of an article. If one is expecting 100% objective reporting--you'll never find it. If a reporter is a homer, so what? They spend their lives interviewing a team, get to know their players, feel and even share passion from the fans, it is natural to side with the highs and feel the lows of each outcome. I appreciate the reporting either way, if everyone was 100% objective in sports reporting that would be very boring. I appreciate the enthusiastic reporting of channel 4 and the other stations. Sports is entertainment and enthusiasm, focusing on whether reporting is objective or not only belongs in certain journalism classrooms. Go Cougars, Utes, Aggies, Wildcats, Wolverines, T-birds!

• WORST
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:49 p.m.

Those two (Kent and Wesley) ARE EMBARRASSING! They are truly hard to watch. I can't do it in fact. I get squeemish and feel bad for Kyle and the camera crew and the producers and.... actually the producers should probably be ashamed of themselves. Wesley "Hey Kyle... hehe...was it funny when you got flipped-off...hehehe, or were you mad? Kent: "yeah Kyle were you mad..hehe, can you tells us about it?"

• GET OVER IT
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:51 p.m.

The article was fine and points out some newscasters that can't be objective. There's others out there as well and whichever team you root for you find a channel that supports your opinion and watch it. I, for one, never watch channel 4 - they're awful all the way around. I did catch part of the rerun of this coach's show on the mountain and agree 100% about Wes and Kent's bias, and lack of class in the way they handled the officiating issues.

And to other ute fans out there- Brian Kehl's hit was with his arms, one angle clearly showed that, and he didn't lead with his helmet.

I was surprised by the PF penalty on utah late in the game, from my seats it looked more like pass interference at the time - then on the replay I though they'd wave the flag off, but called the pf instead. Oh well, I've gotten over it - and so should the rest of the whiny ute fans that are still complaining (especially Wes and Kent).

• Oregon UTE
    Nov. 30, 2007 12:58 p.m.

Mnt announcers biased against BYU? HUH? I have nothing against women doing sports casts on the MNT., VS. or any other station. But who put that incompetant girl cheerleader from BYU on the Mnt. broadcast for the BYU-Utah game? Todd Christensen did a little better than last time, but his girlfriend, between giggles and RAH RAH's for BYU, ruined the broadcast.

• Just A Thought
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:09 p.m.

Isn't it nice for the news media to give everyone a place to punch, bite, and gouge. This forum sounds like a family fued with different subjects. However, it is a place to exercise your right to freedom of speach - right?

• to there it is again
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:14 p.m.

Do you have any clue? Your agenda is showing. A stupid article and in fairness the BYU homer media should be spoken about - is that you next article? Please Bronco, in your best "sunday voice" could you let us know what you think?

• Just to clear things up
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:21 p.m.

The hits that Brian Kehl and Robert Johnson made were very similar looking, but there was a slight difference. . .

Brian Kehl hit Jereme Brooks at, I kid you not, the EXACT same time the ball was sailing over their heads. Part of the hit may have been momentum induced, but it would have been difficult to tell from the angle he was coming in at but the ball looked very catchable and so he laid the hit. It just so happened that he didn't catch the ball.

When Robert Johnson hit Dennis Pitta the ball had already landed the ground about one or two seconds after the hit was made. There was also another Ute defender nearby who saw it go out and did nothing.

So they were both very similar but those little details were what made the difference.

• Scartissue
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:55 p.m.

If no one watches channel 4, does it really exist???

• Ron Anderson
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:56 p.m.

Bryan Kehl is a stud!!

Kehl did his job....it was a great hit and most of all it was "LEGAL"!!

If you don't want Brooks to get hit playing football?

.....I suggest you put a dress on him like the Mayor of SLC wears!

• Cleared up
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:56 p.m.

"Just to clear things up" makes an excellent point that I cannot understand has not been made before. The difference between the two hits was clear to see(as much as possible on the mtn). Gosh this name calling and is fun and displays our maturity. Relax, its a game!

• Utah Homers?
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:56 p.m.

While I can honestly say that I'm not in any way a Kirkland fan (even after several years in this market he still seems lost when it comes to local sports) at least he still tries to act like he has some sort of objectivity when he interviews Bronco Mendenhall. I'm not sure, but was Kent Rupe wearing red and white face paint and waving a big foam finger during a show a few weeks ago? Mix in a suit and tie, this is a "news program", not pep rally up on the hill.

Its fine that the Utah coaches show is slanted towards the Utes, that's the fan base they're going for after all. I just think (and I think right thinking Ute fans would agree)that it would be nice to have a show where the head coach doesn't have to sit there looking sick for half and hour while two professional journalists sit there like a couple of college freshmen giggling and lobbing him softball questions.

• Retort
    Nov. 30, 2007 1:57 p.m.

"Wes Ruff is a Cougar" thinks "sports journalism has more bias than political journalism..." Guess you've never watched MSNBC, FOXNEWS, CNN, etc.

• azcougar
    Nov. 30, 2007 2:21 p.m.

One word to all you Ute fans: SCOREBOARD!!!
    Collie 4:18

• A fan
    Nov. 30, 2007 2:21 p.m.

Ch 4, I agree that they shouldn't wear Utah clothing on the show, but I do like the fact they don't wear a coat and tie on their weekend shows. Sports are a great leisure activity and should be treated, as such. Guys sitting around and shooting the breeze about sports should dress casually. While the content is much better on 2 & 5, they seem stiff in their business wear.

• welcome to Utah market
    Nov. 30, 2007 2:22 p.m.

It's the market here that is the problem. It has always been a problem. Does anybody remember Paul James and Bill Marcroft? They both did the sports for their repsective channels while also being the play by play announcer for Utah and BYU. I love the coaches shows and would not want them to go away but my preference would be have them as their own show that has their own moderator that can go ahead and be a cheerleader. I want to see that type of show hosted by a cheerleader type. What I don't want to see is Kent Rupp wear his red Utah shirt on Sun and then come Monday evening show up on my TV pretending to be a professional unbiased sports broadcaster. I wonder if David James and channel 2 thought the same thing so they went ahead and dumped the Ute show last year. I give James credit. I think he does a good job of keeping bias out of it. Bottom line for me - keep the journalists out of the shows - leave it to someone else- let Dolce do the Utes and Wrubell do the Cougs.

• wow
    Nov. 30, 2007 2:26 p.m.

This is a stupid argument. If anyone has a reason to be angry it would be the Utah fans due to how supportive KSL is of BYU. Let's just all quit trying to cheap shot the other school/fans. I love the Utah/BYU rivalry, infact I think it is one of the best in the USA. But let's make it a healthy rivalry!

GO COUGARS!!

• morons on 4 sports
    Nov. 30, 2007 2:27 p.m.

52-51 isnt that considered a touchdown or less

• Mike R.
    Nov. 30, 2007 2:30 p.m.

Didn't Rupe and Ruff graduate from BYU? No wonder they are trying to go the other way to make Whittingham feel comfortable since he turned his back (thank goodness) on the Y.

I blame it on Church Basketball.

• trojans overrated
    Nov. 30, 2007 2:36 p.m.

Hey trojan man. What about the the weak schedule of ranbows.Does weak teams mean bcs. I guess so. O and by the way i like tom kirkland. So i guess you have to play weak to get noticed by the bcs

• SO WHAT?
    Nov. 30, 2007 3:21 p.m.

I can't believe people are actually upset about this. And that "fans" from Utah and BYU haven't let the game go yet. What a waste of time. Kind of like watching Ch. 4 or most other TV stations to begin with.

Can anyone answer two simple questions: 1) Do Ch. 4 or 5 sportscasters, Dick Harmon, this story, a week-old game, or lame comments about a week-old game, actually MATTER? 2) WHY?

Thanks... I think.

• Hello
    Nov. 30, 2007 3:22 p.m.

Oregon UTE | 12:58 p.m. Nov. 30, 2007

Hey Oregon Ute, That girl is a Utah grad and an avid Utah fan. She mentioned it in prior games on the Mtn.

• CaliCoug
    Nov. 30, 2007 4:18 p.m.

Jimmy, get over yourself and the righteous bit. I can hear you and your boys, Bill Marcroft and that homer Ruff, crying in your bitter soup all the way out here on the West Coast. By the way, does Brooks know what year it is yet after the Kehl freight train knocked him into Candyland? What about R. Johnson after Unga gave him a short lesson in goaline physics?

• True, True, True
    Nov. 30, 2007 4:25 p.m.

Ch. 4 is bias. The ratings show the unprofessionalism. I struggle to make any sense of what ruff and his sidekick say. They are robots trying not very hard to be journalists.

• Henry Drummond
    Nov. 30, 2007 4:26 p.m.

I have to agree Scott. The show is poorly put together from beginning to end. I think both channel two and channel five have done a much better job at producing sports programs than what Kyle has to endure. I don't think it is so much about having a bias toward Utah, all these shows tend to do that, it just looks like a show that doesn't have any focus or any creativity. Even the furniture looks like something they got from a fire-sale somewhere.

• What?
    Nov. 30, 2007 4:31 p.m.

KSL TV and radio are the KINGS of complaining about bad calls. They TAUGHT ME how to complain about refs. Mr Harmon SLANTS EVERYTHING to be pro BYU.

I try to be unbiased in this state, but folks like you make that very difficult.

• This article
    Nov. 30, 2007 4:56 p.m.

Is horrible! Truly there have been some bad articles in the past, but this one tops the charts for sure. HELLO! The show is called the RED ZONE, so it is out there for the UTE FANS. BYU has plenty of BIASED coverage from KSL.com to their TV station, KBYU the list never ends. Give the UTES some air time.

• Nice article
    Nov. 30, 2007 5:21 p.m.

I LOVED the article.

It's ironic that it upsets the Ute fans. It seems that any comment gets under Ute fans skin. Why is that? I know....UTAH IS THIRD in the conference.

HAHAHAHAHA

• Channel 4
    Nov. 30, 2007 5:23 p.m.

Channel 4 grasps at straws because their viewing audience is so small.

By the way, Ute fans are mad because their team is 3rd and not First.

• Des News
    Nov. 30, 2007 5:25 p.m.

Who monitors these commnets? You post ridiculous statements and let others pass that agree with the author of the article. Seems a little biased to me, monitor.

• It's true
    Nov. 30, 2007 5:42 p.m.

I'm a BYU fan and if ABC wants to have a Ute fans show, then that's okay. KSL is plenty dedicated to BYU and so its only fair that the Utes can have their show too. It's not that complicated of a concept, it's a trade off.

• R-esq
    Nov. 30, 2007 6:04 p.m.

Wesley Ruff is a clown and a buffoon. Several years ago he was assigned to cover a political announcement and he made it into a sports story. What a mockery of a serious event. By the way, if memory serves me, he is a BYU grad. Still joke and in no way a journalist. Whether a Utah or BYU fan, Wes Ruff should put on his red nose, blue wig and goofy costume when he goes on the air. Even though he is pushing 50, I wonder when he will grow up.

• Pittsburgh Ute
    Nov. 30, 2007 7:24 p.m.

Scott Pierce needs to stop looking at the mote in Channel 4's eye and take the beam out of his own (i.e. Deseret News') eye.

When I lived in Utah, I threw all sense of objectivity out the window when the Des News would run huge ads promoting BYU athletic events and then say that the ad was paid for by the Deseret News (A Corporate Sponsor of the BYU Cougars).

Scott, Scott, Scott: You are pointing a finger at Channel 4, but you have 3 fingers pointing soundly back at you!!!!

• Channel 4
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:00 p.m.

Another article from Pierce complaining about ABC 4. Imagine that! Did they reject you for a job or something? I actually think they're pretty good all around. I'd watch them over 5 or fox any day. (2 is still the best)

Scott, if YOU are truly as unbiased as you claim journalists should be, I expect an article on KSL's favoritism toward BYU. Go to their website...under the sports tab you can click on a page for BYU. Where's Utah? or any other Utah school for that matter. Have you read Greg Wrubells blog?...he refers to the BYU team as my guys, etc. And of course Kirkland promotes the cougars (you may need to watch the show again with your blinders off)

Please explain how that is objective?
    And I wont go into the BYU slant in your own paper (others have already mentioned it).

Why is it okay for you and KSL, but not ABC or Ruff?

• DB
    Nov. 30, 2007 9:12 p.m.

First of all if Wes Ruff is so bad, why did he get Sports Caster of the Year? Hello! I am so sick of the bias towards BYU!! Thank goodness there is someone in this state, that isn't afraid to be a cheerleader for the UTE's!

Scott get over yourself. You are blue through and through. Scott you won the game! Why are you even whining?

WES YOU ROCK!

• AGREE
    Nov. 30, 2007 11:08 p.m.

Pierce was right on! Ch 4 is a joke. Also, Todd Christensen is the worst announcer on the tube. Please, mtn network, get rid of him!!

• JA9
    Dec. 1, 2007 1:49 a.m.

I watched the piece and I thought it was hilarious. Both Whittingham and Anderson are there with blank stares on their faces trying to deal with the loss...and then Ruff and the other dude sympathizing with them. i think they showed the 4th and 18 about 5 times...lol.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2007 2:35 a.m.

Pierce is wrong. Ruff does not owe Kehl an apology. Kehl's hit was illegal and was not called. Another call for the church school.

Todd Christensen should be off the mtn, his homerism for the zoobs is sickening.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2007 3:32 a.m.

Whats more embarrassing is you writing an article on your opinion of the show.
    Whats more embarrassing is the people without the intelligence to change the channel.
    Whats most embarrassing is nobody seems to realize that these people get paid to attract the fan bases from one school rather than compete for the fans from both schools. Thats why they are called "RED ZONE" and "COUGAR BEAT" (what did you really expect when you turn on a sports show with those titles or a show containing the coaches name in the title?)

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2007 3:46 a.m.

I know as soon as you hear anything positive for the other school(whichever it may be) the person talking automatically becomes a homer, but check out kutv sports they dont have an affiliation and produce the best sports coverage here.(in my opinion)

• Bay Are Ute
    Dec. 1, 2007 3:52 a.m.

As a kid I delivered the Deseret News in rain or snow for 5 years. I've read the paper almost daily over the last 20 years since, including the last 9 years in the Bay Area. I've defended the paper to my wife and others for years, but I don't know if I can stand up for the Deseret News anymore. The quality of journalism of this article and others I've read over the last 3-4 months is increasingly embarrassing and it saddens me greatly. This article is uninteresting, poorly written, and just a bunch of irrelevant rhetoric. Articles like this are becoming the norm and not the exception. Editors, please wake up and do something. If you let your writers get away with stuff like this, it will just keep coming!

• To Agree
    Dec. 1, 2007 5:46 a.m.

No, Get read of mtn! (he won't be on any other channel)

• Randall
    Dec. 1, 2007 8:06 a.m.

Pierce was RIGHT ON! I went to the U, but I also think that Ruff and Rupp HAVE TO BE FIRED and Channel 4 needs to completely re-do the format of the show to make it credible - otherwise this thing will continue to spin out of control and never recover. No matter, because something tells me those two ego-drive LOSERS will STILL think they are the greatest thing that ever happened to TV sports! (even though their ratings are the WORST in Utah by far!) Who is in charge of hiring these incompetants at Channel 4???

• Gretzky
    Dec. 1, 2007 9:09 a.m.

The channel four sportscasting crew should be FIRED!!! or said the Rainbow Coalition and the Rev. Al Sharpton...Kehl hit the Ute wide receiver with his hands. imagine what kind of damage he would have done with a shoulder!!! Kehl will be an all-Pro linebacker for the Green Bay Packers next year.
    Ruff is a joke as a sportscaster. He's, to use Wittingham's famous words about the 3-3-5 defense, a gimmick sportscaster. Wittingham is made to look like an idiot by Ruff and his sidekick. Todd Christensen is no better for the mtn. - i agree. the mtn. is so BAD!!! this season has altogether achieved a NEW LOW in media production. is this because there are NO beer commericial support??? i had no idea that Miller, Coors, Anheuser-Busch etc had so much control of the good media...time to get the LDS church film department involved to salvage whatever decent coverage of games can be expected...

• Tempest
    Dec. 1, 2007 9:36 a.m.

Good for you, Scott! I'm sure it took some courage to get this published, but that's what good opinion writing does: makes a point, sticks to it, riles the masses to think. People: this is a column, not an article. Big difference. I also know Wes Ruff (Red Devil and Cougar alum) and agree his exuberance for the Utes is a bit much, but not nearly as annoying as that screaming cheer leader Greg Wrubel on BYU game day. Homer is as Homer does. Still, Wes, you should lose the emblematic wardrobe, and please have your sound guy watch the modulation when you guys start gabbing! Only so much pitch these old ears can take! Scott--keep writing the good stuff. Thanks for letting me chime.

• that article is bad
    Dec. 1, 2007 10:15 a.m.

how can anyone complain that some local sports reporters look like they favor the utes. does ch 5 have the kyle whittingham show? thats what I thought

• the truth
    Dec. 1, 2007 11:37 a.m.

funny how calls at the end of a game are looked at so closely and calls early in the game aren't even though they have just as much effect on the game. Hey, Ute fans if you haven't destroyed your Tivo or tape of the game look at the fade to Reed in the endzone in the first quarter! Obvious PI! Give the cougars four more points like they should have had and they don't even need the last drive! And how about the offensive PI on Collie? I agreed with the call, but a case certainly could have been made against it. And the following play, a bomb to Allen? Obvious PI! And by the way, it's not like the personal foul or the PI were drive extending calls. BYU still had plenty of time to score without them. Remember, all they needed was a field goal. You can't say they would have won or lost without those two calls, so get over it already. The best team clearly won. You were outplayed in every aspect of the game....look at the stats. Face it the tide has turned and it's not going to change soon.

• poorly written
    Dec. 1, 2007 11:59 a.m.

every single station in this state favors the Y. driving home from the game was upsetting when i wanted to listen to the coaches comments and all i hear is the
    never ending jabber of kfan raving byu as if it was a blowout. I personally don't watch this show, but at least there is some kind of U show. Wrubel is a joke. Kfan is a joke. And this guy is complaining of a show that features Wittingham. I don't care how poor the show was, at least some balance. And I will really try to live better here in Salt Lake because of Collie's comment on living good on and off the field. What an arrogant comment and slap in the face to the U. Thank you Wittingham for showing some class. But you need to be living better to win.

• jerandi
    Dec. 1, 2007 12:15 p.m.

I can't believe this article. Even 700 the Zone's Bill Ryley has a BYU sidekick. I am so tired of hearing from PK, DJ, Hans Olsen, Tom Kirtland and the rest of the BYU "Homers". To have somewhere where the Utes can be talked about is nice for a change. As far as the calls, I agree w/ the truth. If Utah's Offense showed up in the first place the end of the game would have been irrelevant. I just wish it was on Channel 2 with real sportscasters.

• To Yewt Fans
    Dec. 1, 2007 3:30 p.m.

There are many more BYU fans in this state and country than Yewt fans. Nobody's ever heard of Utah football before or after 2004 and they probably won't again. Crawl back into your corners until next football season begins and you can start hoping that you have a football team that can beat the Y. Bragging rights are ours for the next year (and probably the year after that and the year after that) so get used to it. You've got nothing to say - BYU is the better team. Enjoy the flower bowl.

• Well, I don't like channel 4
    Dec. 1, 2007 9:55 p.m.

I don't like channel 4 news. It'd be easy to agree with the article. But that'd be dumb. These channel 4 sports reporters are not acting as reporters during this show. They are Utah boosters. It's what the show is for. Does Hot Rod boost for the Jazz? Of course he does. It's his job. Stupid article. Silly to get hot and bothered over it all.

• State traveler
    Dec. 1, 2007 10:16 p.m.

Having lived in 4 different states in the last few years, including Utah, I have noticed that most media are homers for the better team. In Az that has been U of A and ASU depending on who has the better year. WA- UW or WSU, again depending on the year, OH-never mind. The problem that Utah has is two schools in the same media market. In 2004 I can promise you that the media was not pro BYU, for that matter neither was it in 2003. The media are darlings for whoever seems better at the time. BYU has been that team the last two years in Utah.

As for being a homer on a show, go for it. I hope they are homers on the Red Zone, I hope Wrubbell is cheering for BYU. It is true in every market and with every team. The papers beat reporters should be impartial, the editorals cruel to both. But if Dnews wants to hire a huge BYU homer in Harmon, well that is what he was hired to do. I only hope they would hire a huge Utah homer too.

• gary
    Dec. 2, 2007 10:33 a.m.

Channel 4 doesn't have HD....nothing else needs to be said about this mickey mouse station

• Homers
    Dec. 2, 2007 11:22 a.m.

As a life-long BYU fan I ask, "What is wrong with homers on a show geared toward fans of a particular team?" If you are a BYU or USU fan, you probably don't watch the show anyway. Also, people who take offense when fans say "we" referring to their teams need to get over it. You know what people mean when they say that.

• WHO CARES
    Dec. 2, 2007 12:44 p.m.

Noone including most ute fans watch that horrible broudcast anyway.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2007 2:41 p.m.

This is why I prefer KSL. It is absolutely the most objective station not only with sports but all things Utah.........

• re: anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2007 3:58 p.m.

That's the funniest thing I've heard today!

• Anon
    Dec. 2, 2007 6:41 p.m.

what are you talking about Gary?
    My ABC HD comes in great! Actually much better than channel 2.

• shecy
    Dec. 2, 2007 7:34 p.m.

Reminds me a little bit of BYU's radio dude who made a comment that I found annoying (even as one who favored the Y). The comment went something like this: "I would be nice to see Utah come in at 0-11 and have BYU beat them 59-0." Ok, you can have that opinion, but don't claim to be objective at the same time. I have to think that his radio partner cringed at that comment.

• Mid-Major
    Dec. 2, 2007 8:23 p.m.

Your conference is mid-major, your teams (BYU, Utah...) are mid-major and your fans are mid-major. It's like watching two grade school bullies trying to beat up each other. Nobody outside of Utah and Wyoming care about the MWC. Unless or until your teams join a major conference, you all whine about nothing. Just ask Hawaii...

• Disaggree
    Dec. 2, 2007 9:36 p.m.

Whoaa Pull up the ponies just a bit on this article.

Please take a look at the Deseret News as it clearly slanted to all religious positions LDS and all athletics BYU. I clearly understand the business relationships between the three business units (LDS Church, BYU and D-news) but before you go out and criticize a simple sports talk show on these very same bounds please ensure the paper you are writing for has their house in order.

• Go Packers
    Dec. 2, 2007 9:53 p.m.

Bias on coaches shows comes with the territory, duh. I see it on Green Bay TV all the time. But bias doesn't excuse whining about officiating. That's just bush league journalism. Of course, pot calling kettle black is just as bush league.

As a BYU fan and alum, I would rather have seen the game decided by the players than the officials. I suspect if you asked the BYU players they would say the same thing. Any sensible team wants to win fair and square, and not give their opponent any reason to feel robbed. But, it is what it is, bad calls come and go, get over it.

Parting shot: Half the comments say they don't care because nobody watches the show anyway, and yet there are 130-some comments. So, do you care or not?

• Mid-Major Bias
    Dec. 2, 2007 10:10 p.m.

The chief difference between a so-called mid-major and a major conference is not the quality of the players or the quality of the football (or the quality of the fans). It's whether the conference is part of the BCS. The only reason the Mountain West is not included in the BCS is that it doesn't have the sheer numbers of viewers on TV. Advertisers pay for numbers. Conferences whose every game is televised in high population density areas can demand more money from TV because the broadcasts bring more money to networks and stations. Things will change slowly as populations shift to the West. Meanwhile, don't expect any respect, regardless of which teams BYU, the U, Air Force or the like beat. Those who like to belittle the Mountain West might do well to check the conference's record against the so-called major conferences this season.