Hart may be ahead of Price by a nose now

Comments

• Chico
    Oct. 19, 2007 1:17 a.m.

I'm really disappointed in what I'm seeing from our back up point gaurds/combo gaurds/d-league gaurds. I know it takes time to learn the offense but it doesn't take time to learn how to make a shot or to play defense.

There was a serious lack in judgement when the front office panicked after Fisher left so he could start at the point elsewhere. D Brown is not the solid back up that Fisher was but he had team chemistry a years worth of experience which included quality, productive playoff minutes.

I think we are going to have some real problems this year every minute that Williams is on the bench. Maybee O'Connel should start ammassing a team with 9 guys who can log minutes as a back-up point.

Overall our starting five will be better this year with D-will, Booz, and Okur all getting a year closer to thier prime. Kirelenko can only play better, and we will have a huge upgrade at the 2 with fisher off the floor.

However our second unit is much worse off with Fisher, Dee, and Hoffa replaced by Price, Hart and Fess whom the Jazz say will spend time in provo

• JP
    Oct. 19, 2007 5:13 a.m.

Jason Hart is no good! He can't shoot, dribble, defend, or run the offense. The only thing he has proven this preseason is an ability to run the shot clock low, then make a pass to some poor sucker late in the shot clock, forcing the Jazz into a horrible last second shot. I can't believe we are paying this guy 4.8 mil!

• System
    Oct. 19, 2007 7:00 a.m.

I am really tired of the Jazz (O'Conner and Sloan) blaming what doesn't work on how hard it is to learn"the offense" or learn "what we are trying to do." I wish the Jazz could add some complexity. We have watched them run the same three plays for 15 years rather than add anything based on the talent they have.

Maybe they could add a play for the small forward spot instead of just letting him play defense. Jerry would be happy if they could win every game 21-20 and there would be no shot clock. The Jazz are afraid if they shoot the ball Jerry will pull them out.

This is not exciting basketball in the NBA. Preseason? I am already tired of watching them. Go Suns! Go Nuggets! Go Dallas! Go Houston!

• and the man
    Oct. 19, 2007 7:10 a.m.

Oh my lar,Miller spent 4.8 mil,let Dee go to get Mr. 0 assist.I'll bet it hurts to lay that egg.I would like to know,rather see in print, what Syracuse connection is responsable for miss leading KOK on this one.News paper lets have this man exposed.aye Chico?

• BIGRUSS
    Oct. 19, 2007 7:11 a.m.

Where o where is Dee Brown. What has McConnel done?

• P.S.
    Oct. 19, 2007 7:14 a.m.

Delaney Rudd never has never looked so good.

• Loyal Reader
    Oct. 19, 2007 7:22 a.m.

The pop up advertising in the middle of the article that wont go away and doesn't have a close button is really annoying. Please discontinue this practice.

• Jimmy's Sneakers
    Oct. 19, 2007 7:26 a.m.

Jimmy is happy with Hart. Jimmy thinks Chico should wait to complain until Hart loses us a regular season game.

Chico's concerns about our "2nd unit" is really concerns about our 3rd unit as Haffa and DBrown were in the 3rd unit just as Price and Fess will be. On the other hand the 2nd unit of Hart, Almond/Gira, Harpring, Milsap, and Collins will be just fine, keeping in mind that those 5 will rarely all be on the floor together as they will be sprinkled in while the starters will rest.

• benton
    Oct. 19, 2007 8:08 a.m.

I am still frusterated at the fact that Dee Brown is not playing for us anymore. He would have contributed far more this year with added minutes. Both of the new back ups haven't shown us anything. I do not understand why the jazz keep pulling the trigger and offering guarenteed contracts for far less than suitable players from sac town (ostertag, price, hart). If Greg was still playing for them, they probably would have signed him back too! We should have kept Dee around! This year is going to be interesting when Deron is on the bench...

• Jazz fan
    Oct. 19, 2007 8:18 a.m.

I agree a little with Chico. I think our second unit defense got a little better and a little tougher. But, you have to remember that Dee Brown looked like a fish out of water for the first part of last season as he was trying to get acclimated with the offense and his teammates. Being a point guard is one of the hardest jobs in the NBA because they are the quarterback for the team and every play usually starts with them. I think Hart & Price will be fine, they had just better get more confidence running the offense-and fast. It will help to have Harpring back and a second unit consisting of Hart, Gira, Harpring, Millsap, and Collins(?) will still be a pretty good contributing unit.

• daruster
    Oct. 19, 2007 8:23 a.m.

Dee and Hoffa were never really in the second unit. Jaron collins was the backup center, not Hoffa. Granted, Collins is not great, but I'm tired of listening to people complain about losing Hoffa and Dee. They RARELY got the warm-ups off. Didn't anyone watch last season? Dee played a few minutes in the Golden State series, until he got injured. Yeah, that was a sturring dramatic moment that endeared him to fans...but he never did anything on the court!!
    I do agree that the backup point play this pre-season has been dissappointing, but give it time. Does the fact that Dee is in Turkey and Hoffa is in Russia give anyone a clue? No other NBA teams wanted them either. HELLO!!

• ID Jazz
    Oct. 19, 2007 9:12 a.m.

I love the Jazz but year after year of watching them take players who are not proven on the court in free agency you would think they would learn something. You cannot replace Fisher with Hart and Price. Fisher had experience(veteran) of being around super stars as well 10+ years of game experience and Jazz replace him with two guys who have little experience. Chico is right that the first unit will be fine its the second unit that is going to get killed with no one to run the offense. Fisher might not have shot the ball well while here but he could get the ball to guys in there spots. I would rather bring Delaney Rudd, Eisley, or Crotty back than to do what they have done. Come on Jazz brass you ride some players (Brewer) to get better and do what it takes then your two signed guards are excused for shotty play because the offense is hard to learn. With the current backup gaurds it would be hard to get past first round of playoffs.

• YEP
    Oct. 19, 2007 10:21 a.m.

daruster said exactly what I was thinking. Dee shot 32% last season and averaged 1.9 PPG. I don't think the Jazz would be any better off had they kept him, and I think Hoffa played in about 5 games all season. He may have worked hard, but he had no game. It really doesn't make a difference that Dee and Hoffa are gone.

• dalew
    Oct. 19, 2007 10:32 a.m.

Well, D-will is young, let's hope he can go 40 minutes a night without getting burned out by the end of the season.

• No Mo Worries
    Oct. 19, 2007 12:02 p.m.

IMHO - I think it's unfair to complain that KOC got Hart/Price for DFish. I doubt he was looking for 2 PGs before DFish requested to leave - KOC's 1st priority in the summer was to get Mo Williams. Also, I was not very impressed with how DFish ran our offence when DWill went out - esp on fast breaks. Maybe this was because he was playing out of position at the 2 most of the time. But with Hart/Price, if we need to move one of them to the 2, at least now we have players with the size for their defense to not look so out of place.

• Sac Guy
    Oct. 19, 2007 12:45 p.m.

I feel sorry for the Jazz. They now have to put up with what the Kings faced when Hart played for them. And it was a big mistake to let him have the option on year two instead of the team having the option. Same thing happened with the Kings and when they discovered that he would never find his shot and he was way over-rated as a defender and benched him, he opted to take the money and stay with the team, even though he was told he wasn't in their plans. Then he whined through his agent about his lack of playing time until he was released.

Oh, and I suspect that the Kings let Price go because he is really a two guard in a point guard's body. He never demonstrated that he could actually run a team.

If you want validation on the points I'm trying to make above...it's no coincidence that the Kings' slide coincided with the trade of Bobby Jackson, and the moves to replace him as Bibby's backup with Hart and Price.

It's too bad...I always liked the Jazz.

• Team Player
    Oct. 19, 2007 12:52 p.m.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!! AAAAHHHHHH!!! They're back-ups people! And it's still rather early in the season... no need to panic. Besides, Williams is going to be playing 40+ minutes a night anyway.

• Soupe
    Oct. 19, 2007 12:57 p.m.

Dee was alright. He had speed. But still was a filler. Like a 3rd choice. I did not like the fact that he lost control of the ball when he was running too fast. Maybe he was too fast.

Hofa... I dont know what to say about that guy. He was a pilar on the court. Pilar not as in D-Wall but as in just stands there. I will choose Colins and the new kid over him anyday. This new kid, after a year will be solid. In 2-3 years will replace Okur.

• My Bad - Mo Peterson
    Oct. 19, 2007 1:01 p.m.

Sorry - not Mo Williams, Mo Peterson - guess I have PGs on the brain

• Jazzfan410
    Oct. 19, 2007 8:37 p.m.

All I can say is from what I have read there seem to be a lot of FAREWEATHER FANS here. When the team is doing good they jump on the bandwagon and when the team hasn't quite come together everyone ditches them especially SYSTEM. Well I have been a fan for quite a while from the Stockton to Malone, and Hornacek championship runs in the 90's and I still am through the rebuilding process (I don't mean to sound uppity or self-righteous so please don't take it that way) so all I can say is give them a chance. THE REAL SEASON HASN'T EVEN STARTED AND PEOPLE ARE ALREADY GIVING UP ON THEM? IT WAS ONCE SAID THAT JAZZ FANS ARE THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE AND THAT THE DELTA CENTER (ESA) WAS THE HARDEST PLACE TO PLAY IN.LETS BRING THAT BACK! GO JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!

• ID Jazz
    Oct. 20, 2007 8:58 a.m.

Jazzfan410 I understand where you are coming from on the fareweather fan but I fear the Jazz are becoming like another club that always has come close and never made it. That being the Chicago Cubs. I am a huge fan of the Jazz but I am growing tired of them looking for diamonds in the rough. Why did they not go out this year and get a proven free agent. You can't tell me that Hart & Price was the best thing out there. The tried to find diamonds in the rough during Stockton & Malone and finally towards the end of there careers they pulled the trigger that got Hornacek here and at least pushed us into the finals. Are we going to have to wait until the end of Boozers and DWills careers before they are willing do that again. I have been a Jazz fan from the beginning and will be until the end but I sure would like to see them break this habit they have been a custom to doing.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 20, 2007 4:50 p.m.

ID Jazz-I never said Hart and Price were the best thing out there. And as for why they didn't go out and get a proven free agent--I don't know. I am not Kevin O'Conner or Larry H. Miller. One big thing that happened was Derek Fisher leaving for his daughter's health reasons. I know its frustrating at times especially when players on the team aren't playing up to the expectations we have of them.

• nat a
    Oct. 20, 2007 6:24 p.m.

Comeon idjazz; sometimes the best free agent available chooses to go elsewhere. I think O'Connor gave full effort to bring Maurice Peterson here last summer. He looked the Jazz over then went elsewhere. His not coming creates other opportunities; Brewer and Almond seem to have wonderful talent and a capacity to work toward improvement. You've been a fan a long time. I've read your comments before. You are a Sloan advocate. Hang in there. Good things will happen with this team, this year. I hope so too. (then Sloan can leave on a high - and the Jazz move on)