Utes look for answers after inexplicable loss

Comments

• bluetooth
    Sept. 25, 2007 1:20 a.m.

don't you mean inexplicable win?

• wake up!!!
    Sept. 25, 2007 1:19 a.m.

Hey coach, if you aren't feeling any pressure, you should be. It's called inexplicable losses, which leads to explicable pink slip.

• Welcome to Oz
    Sept. 25, 2007 1:26 a.m.

The Utes remind me of the Wizard of Oz movie. They have no Heart, no Guts, and NO Brains. But, they do have their drunken fans who wont even notice these three fine qualities...

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 6:42 a.m.

Inexplicable win is right, this year the utes do not have answers, they are just not that good.

• mr
    Sept. 25, 2007 7:07 a.m.

I think the reason they did so well against UCLA, cause their whole week was based on beating a team BYU could not beat. That is what is funny about the UTES, they focus way to much on what BYU is doing, and not what they can do to improve.

Like two sundays ago, one of the UTES LBs, said, "We are focus on winning, and oh ya, beating BYU." hmm, that is a ways a way my friend.

• B
    Sept. 25, 2007 7:22 a.m.

Wow, Witt your doing a little soul searching for those excuses/thoughts to the media. Try doing the same for your football team. Wait, a minute try using the one that is true!! "Your Team is all Busted Up" plain and simple. " if you use it they will understand" Don't be so hard on your self Witt, make it easy FIRE LUDWIG!!! then you will see the light come on!!! please before you start searching the sciptures for sayings.

• 2kmd
    Sept. 25, 2007 7:34 a.m.

Man,

Utah fans are pathetic...Quit complaining, all teams have bad years.. Either be a Ute, or get off the bandwagon when they do well. We don't want whiners on our side!

• kyle ???
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:09 a.m.

Pressure is like being trapped in a mine......is that an appropriate comment.

As for Utah always thinking about BYU - I doubt they gauge their success anymore on beating a team that can't win a bowl game to save their life.

• Adam
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:19 a.m.

Thats kind of funny that you say that...If I remember right Byu whooped up on the favored Oregon Ducks last year in the Las Vegas bowl. Before you go blurting things out-Get your facts straight

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:23 a.m.

Kyle says some funny things sometimes. Magic fairies anyone?

• Pressure
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:32 a.m.

I don't know why this season is so difficult for the Ute fans. I mean, except for one year, you guys have always been used to having bad teams. Relax and enjoy the great sucking sound of another football season that again is going down the tubes...

• Ute
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:36 a.m.

Are we going to have to go through this every season? Get rid of Ludwig, keep coach Whit, and get an OC that knows how to get a first down.

• Come on now
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:37 a.m.

Yes, yes - we know you are morally superior to us since you don't drink. Thank you for pointing it out...again.

Do you really think that all Utah players and fans can think about it what is happening in Provo? Do you really think that your happy city is at the center of the universe? Look around, mr, it's a big world out there.

• Missed something
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:38 a.m.

Yes, I too thought the score of the 2006 Las Vegas bowl favored the Cougars by quite a margain.
    Utah's bowl record is impressive, I grant you, but I feel sorry for Kyle. Not only is his team plagued with injuries and some mental issues, but everyone wants his scalp, or at the very least Ludwig's. May Bronco is keeping the top D job in Provo so he can hire Kyle when the Ute fans get their way, because Kyle was one heckuva D coordinator. Get off his back.

• Gimme a break Zoobs
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:38 a.m.

Why is it Coog fans always have to submit themselves to the tired "drunk Ute fans" statement? Get original, get better smack, and give me a break.

• Kyle Winningham
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:43 a.m.

I'm pulling for Kyle. He seems like a good guy. He has proven his defensive chops and it sounds like he's a good recruiter. He's been hit very hard by injuries this year and with the roster in so much flux, it makes some sense that this team is struggling to find an identity. Hopefully, Johnson will stay healthy and the team will be able to find some consistency. It's hard to be consistent when there's is a new quarterback every game.

Let's go Kyle! Rally the troops and finish the year strong.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:46 a.m.

A team that lacks cohesiveness lacks leadership. For some reason the players have little to no sense of urgency or pride. That goes to leadership as well. It appears when they are out there a lot of scrambling is taking place. Confusion reigns, is it who is calling the plays?
    Is it lack of appreciation and respect between coaches and players off the field and on? Have the young men been trained mentally to appreciate the opportunity at hand as well as each other? Does coaching staff foster confidence and fairmindedness? Becoming a mature educated productive individual is the hidden purpose of college ball. I say go UTES, go find your center, embrace your positive accomplishments, move forward with dignity and pride. Thats winning on and of the field! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! Oh and players that do not protect each other should not be allowed on the field. Seriously, what is with all the injuries? Do they care enough to protect each other or are they being competitive with in the team itself, which equates to every man for himself, "cause I am getting mine first! I wonder, do they care one for another as a team?

• Looking Ahead
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:58 a.m.

Forget the past.. Utah will beat up on USU this weekend and all will be well in the Capital City. Thank goodness we have a minor league team to practice against this week as we prepare for the only game that matters.. against BYU in November!

• It'salljustsofunny
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:05 a.m.

I'd think Ute fans would be used to this by now. Throw the first part of the season in the toilet, make a run after nothing matters, then beat a .500 team in a low tier bowl. Good to be a Ute fan.

• No bowl
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:18 a.m.

If utah even struggles against USU, they won't go bowling this year. Even if they get 6 wins, other conference teams will have more, so they won't get invited to a bowl.

If it's the same football team as last year, I'm not sure they'll have that passion to really want to beat utah. I mean they have a one-way rivalry with BYU, and would have loved to beaten them, but instead, they got shutout. Unless their desire to want to beat a utah team has changed from last year, utah should win this easily...

Wait, what am I saying? Even USU gave UNLV a great game, which is NOT what utah did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Ags!

• Ute Fan Forever
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:21 a.m.

I am a loyal Utah fan who has held season tickets for over 20 years. I have experienced all of the emotions that this crazy sport has to offer. I have watched teams implode, explode, and shine with excellence. I have suffered through the whole BYU rivalry - even more so because I am LDS and I have had to apologize for the fans of BYU that supposedly represent the LDS faith. You do not make friends and influence people by pointing fingers and acting superior. Just because a person chooses to drink alcohol does not make them a bad person. Get off your high horse and find a little tolerance in your heart and your soul. Also we need to remember that this is only a game - if your team wins it does not make you a better person - it just means that your team won! WOW! What an amazing concept. I love the Utes and I am sorry that they are struggling this year - I would like to see these young men find success and confidence in the sport that they love. I will always be a Ute if they win or if they lose.

• utahkeith
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:31 a.m.

that "minor league team" could just beat the Ute's this year, being in the WAC in a few years we (UTAH or BYU) will be able to take them for granted! I feel sorry for Kyle, but the Ute's are beat up with injuries, but then again so is BYU, as Looking Ahead pointed out, that is Utah's problem, they think it is a one game season! Scheduling little Utah State as their home coming game, give me a break! That is like Utah State scheduling Manti's JV team for there homecoming game! The Ute's have no offense, they are filled with injuries, they have no real talent and when they beat BYU it is with Heart (Which is true!). Being A Die Hard BYU Season Ticket Holder I am a BYU GUY through and through, but I cheer for the Ute's playing out of conference teams except against USU. Why can't you ever keep a good thing going? BYU can't laugh, Kyle is who we wanted, luckily we ended up with Bronco and got the better deal! Sorry Utah, that is why they play the games.

• to: Looking Ahead
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:32 a.m.

once again you talk about the BYU game how about utah fans you focus on the game ahead so you do not get embarassed like you did last week. BYU is not till your last game of the season.

• Texas Ute
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:38 a.m.

Dear Anonymous. Huh? Weren't you that shrink on the Sopranos? I'm sure you have answers to all those silly Qs. Since when does a college FB team need a Human Resources Consultant? Who do you think you are, the Wizard of Westwood? Come on back to the planet Earth.

• What was that?
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:41 a.m.

Pressure is trapped in a mine? Coach are you even thinking clearly. You're not even lucid. You're comments on the team are weird to say the least. Now your denying theres not any pressure. I'm afraid you've caved and are in serious denial. You've got to have answers, YOUR THE COACH.

• TM
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:47 a.m.

I love Coach Whit borrowing from Mendenhall. "Playing at a high level". etc. I love it!

Go Cougs

• BYU IS your focus
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:57 a.m.

utah fans continue to say all they care about is playing and beating BYU, which is the only reason why you aren't in ESPN's bottom 10 list. Anything that has BYU attached you can get up for, but you can't even score against a traditional powerhouse in ESPN's bottom 10! The football season for utah is BYU...no wonder your team is always mediocre. Priorities are always in the wrong places. I'd HATE to cheer for a team who can only focus on beating their rival...that is so ridiculous I can't even fathom it! Had BYU beaten UCLA the team would have had no motivation to beat UCLA and thus, would have been 0-4 right now. Give me a break!

• Ute4Life
    Sept. 25, 2007 10:07 a.m.

I'm a Ute season ticket holder and I'm amazed at the number of comments made in each of the Utah stories. For fans who constantly say "utah fans only think about BYU", there are way too many BYU fans commenting on these Utah stories.
    Also, your beloved Bronco is guilty of stealing Urban Myer phrases such as being "invested", which conincidentally appears to be the hot new t-shirt in town.
    The UNLV game was pathetic. Utah coaches need to take responsibility to prepare players and to motivate them. That is what made Urban good and what Bronco appears to do. The current players have talent, but the coaches don't know how to motivate and get the most out of them. I put the blame of this season partly on them and partly on the costly injuries to all phases of the offense.
    Lastly, BYU fans are pathetic. Go worry about how your team is only 1 game ahead of Utah and that your beloved defense can't stop a pass that is more than 20 yards downfield. Get some original t-shirts. Your university wins the award for the most homely looking women.....maybe you should be worried about that before football.

• David
    Sept. 25, 2007 10:20 a.m.

TM: Mendenhall didn't invent "Playing at a high level." Steve Spurrier has been saying that since he was coaching at Florida, and I'm not even sure HE coined that phrase.

• Ute4Life
    Sept. 25, 2007 10:35 a.m.

Classy...

• Dave
    Sept. 25, 2007 10:41 a.m.

Hey BYU is your focus don't flatter yourself!! How naive can you be to think that is Utah's only focus is to beat BYU. That may have been the case 20 years ago but certainly not any more as we have bigger fish to fry than beating your average at best program. You are a very mediocre 2-2 this year or did you forget about that?? Our focus is to regain the form we had as we dismantled UCLA the team you lost to. Once we can gain some consistency we will once again steamroll in to the BYU game and bring your pathetic hopes crashing back to reality.

• Dave
    Sept. 25, 2007 10:48 a.m.

How are you and your program going to bring BYU crashing back to reality???

Riding your white Unicorns and leading your Leprechuan army?

• Ute4Life
    Sept. 25, 2007 11:00 a.m.

Classy...maybe as classy as the BYU fan's mouths I heard at the last year's rivalry game. True....absolutely!!!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 11:34 a.m.

so how did it feel to lose the only game that meant anything to you guys last year in the last seconds. Now what is pathetic is the way that you guys got absolutly stomped by a team that was looking to be the worst in the confrence try to talk to us next year utah fans cause we are out of your league.

Go Cougs

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 11:37 a.m.

dear ute4life,

please go sit in the middle of the ute students and then say utah fans do not have dirty mouths. maybe you should learn both sides before you speak. it surprises me by your stupidity.

• Let's be reasonable
    Sept. 25, 2007 11:42 a.m.

I like reading the comments on BYU and Utah stories. From what I can tell, the rivalry game is the most important game in the season for both sets of fans (although the BYU fans do not admit it). We spend all season heckling the other team and making unlikely predictions and ridiculous comparisons. Then whoever wins the game gets gloating rights for the next year. Along the way BYU fans make fun of the drinking habits of the U fans and the U fans rise up in anger against the pomposity and the self-righteous hypocrisy of the BYU fans. With all that said, here are my observations of this year's games:

1. Utah has fallen apart. The coaches and the players seem confused and disheartened by their pathetic performances in 3 of 4 games.

2. BYU seems more focused and confident, but has some serious weaknesses that need to be addressed.

3. Both teams have talent. I think the main difference in the programs is where they are coming from. Whittingham had to take over from Urban and the Ute's greatest success. Mendenhall had to take over from Crowton. In each case, there was only one direction to go.

• the ty
    Sept. 25, 2007 11:52 a.m.

BYU is the best 2-2 team in the country.

Utah is the worst 1-3 team in the country.

(Notre Dame is simply the worst team in the country)

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 11:59 a.m.

All but about 3 of you neeed to get a life. I attended the U and cheer for them every week except one. My kids and my money go to BYU. I am a BYU football season ticket holder. The vast majority of students and alumni from both schools are great people. BYU fans who make holier-than-thou comments make me sick and embarrassed to be LDS. Ute fans who want to draw religion into everything also make me sick. Mostly people who verbally abuse others on and off a comment board because they attend a different school or church make me sick. Grow up and find out what life is really all about! Football is a game. Both schools have had their ups and downs over the years. Why don't you cheer for your team, appreciate the enjoyment you get out of college football, and don't embarrass yourself or your school by attacking one another over something that in the end doesn't make a bit of difference anyway!?! Find something productive and really meaningful in which to express your passion, like loving your family and friends, or helping someone around you, or start by simply being civil to others.

• MTN
    Sept. 25, 2007 12:04 p.m.

If Coach W can't figure it out -which he admitted- they need to find someone who can. That seems self-evident, but it also seemed self-evident that hiring Whittingham to replace Urban Meyer would be a disaster and yet it still happened. Get a new coach.

• UTE4LIFE:
    Sept. 25, 2007 12:09 p.m.

I was unaware that Urban Meyer coined the word "invested." What a genious. I had no idea... Give me a break man, thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Bronco uses the word invested, and all the sudden he stole it from Urban, cause he used it first. Why cant we talk about football? Maybe cause there isn't much for you Yewtes to say? How about 27-0?

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 12:13 p.m.

BYU is the worst 2-2 team in the country

UTAH is the best 1-3 team in the country

Louisiana-Lafayette in the sun belt confrence is lot worse than NOTRE DAME buddy, sorry to burst your "Provo Bubble"

• the ty
    Sept. 25, 2007 12:23 p.m.

Yeah ok you go ahead and keep on thinking BYU is the best 2-2 in the country. So what does that really mean anyway?? If you are satisfied with mediocrity than I guess you are happy with that. I can't believe how absolutely clueless you zoobies are. You win one game against a team that can't pass the ball more than 10 yards downfield and once again all is well in happy valley. We'll see how you feel after this week's game. Maybe it will be the officials fault once again when you come up on the short end of the score.

• Robert
    Sept. 25, 2007 12:30 p.m.

I think we need to get back to hard nose football that was played under MAC. We cant even get 1 yard we have lost 2 games because we can get a 1 yard. we need to get the oc out of rice eccles he has no brain and cant move the chains because his play calling is bad.I give whitt one more year but he needs to bring in new coaches and some young blood and get the players a chance to win. I think under the new OC we have no chance to win and have a great year because he does not put us in the right places.I think we all hate what Ron mac did put he always had a great backa nd could score on 3-1 from the goal line.

Give whitt one more year but he better get some of the bad coaches of the side lines of rice eccless or he needs fired in my mind

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 12:35 p.m.

What kind of a coach doesnt feel pressure to win a game when they havent won very many. doesnt seem very competitive to me.

• California Condor
    Sept. 25, 2007 12:36 p.m.

Dear Ute fans:

Don't forget... no alcohol is allowed in LaVell Edwards Stadium.

• Sorry....
    Sept. 25, 2007 1:15 p.m.

Anon--hate to say it, but Notre Dame is the worst team in the country (for D-I or whatever it is called now).

No wins, pathetic offense (137 yards a game), overrated coach, only 2 offensive touchdowns all year (one of which started at the 9 yard line).

What's so "provo bubble" about that?

BTW, I don't live in Utah, so don't play that card.

As much as I dislike the Utes football team, I would be screaming wildly for them if they played ND. And, as bad as Utah has been this year, even they could beat ND--by 4 touchdowns.

• Concast-hater
    Sept. 25, 2007 1:36 p.m.

This could be USU's big win of the season. If you consider beating a team that just got shut out the week before.

• Pooky
    Sept. 25, 2007 2:08 p.m.

I'm happy to see KW met with the juniors and seniors. However, I do remember that the freshman group led the way for victory against UCLA. I also notice that the Dallas Cowboys beat Chicago using their tight ends. One pass to a tight end in 4 games is pathetic. And that one pass went for a 12 yard TD against UCLA. Was I the only one noticing this. The tight ends are open all game. Why can't Ludwig or the QB's see this as well. I don't think a talent like freshman Dallin Rogers, a national recruit, came to Utah to block for 4 years. He's a playmaker. Let's get him the ball. Anyone agree? Hopefully Ludwig and the QB's will. I look forward to your comments, please anyone.

• JIM IN IDAHO
    Sept. 25, 2007 2:15 p.m.

WOW,
    No wonder us in Uteville drink so much beer. It reminds me of Mike Giddings watering down the turf to slow a running attack....to no avail.....Chuck Stobart 3 into the line and punt...Johnson has no buzz to his passes....recievers drop passes I could catch. Kyle has no idea what is going on....FIELD THE SCOUT TEAM....YOU WILL THEN KNOW WHY THEY PLAY THE WAY THEY DO!!!!!!!!

• ute4life
    Sept. 25, 2007 2:30 p.m.

You went after BYU coeds!? Haaahaaha. You are tweaked. Really, I'm laughing so hard that you went after coed's. You went rock bottom. Are you going to make fun of old ladies next? Great arguments for your team. Please do us all a favor and STAY a ute fan.

• SOCal Ute
    Sept. 25, 2007 2:56 p.m.

After reading all of the petty comments made by both so called Ute and Cougar fans I am embarrassed for both schools....I have never experienced such childish behavior between fans of two rival schools..I was born and raised in Utah and am a Ute graduate but have lived my entire adult life in So California....I can tell you that from a national perspective the UCLA/USC rivalry and the USC/Notre Dame rivalry are much more significant than the Utah/BYU rivalry....Both rivalries are intense and most years very competitive but other than a few sutdent pranks the fans of both schools concentrate and focus their positive energies on their individual schools...Grow Up and support your individual schools like mature rational adults.....I think the comments made by Anonymous 11:59 am are right on target.....I hurt when the Utes lose, particularly, to BYU but I also remember it is just a game and life goes on.......

• JD
    Sept. 25, 2007 3:05 p.m.

How could Notre Dame be the worst team in the country when the USU Aggies are still out there? C'mon, even Utah can beat the Aggies!!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2007 3:52 p.m.

I think its humorous how people get so offended by the playful, childish banter between Utes and Cougars on this board. I mean, take the smack talk for what it is, light hearted fun with a rivalry. Sure there are ludicrous statements being thrown around, but you must realize that 99% of the individuals making these inflammatory comments are just doing it for a reaction, they don't honestly believe the generalizations they are making. I'm a cougar fan, and when I read smack that is good smack from Ute fans, I laugh and get a chuckle, I don't take it personally, the lame smack I just disregard, who cares? Just have fun with it already.

• BYU fan
    Sept. 25, 2007 3:57 p.m.

COCal Ute:

Funny how it's "just a game" the year after BYU wins.

• the ty
    Sept. 25, 2007 4:34 p.m.

the utes really suck this year.
    they will finish no better than 3-9, but probably 2-10-no way they beat both USU and SDSU. Since they already got their "impossible win" out of the way, it's all downhill from here.

• Utes, get off your knees
    Sept. 25, 2007 5:08 p.m.

Why do the Utes get so tied up in these blogs?

You would think they would be used to losing by now.

Pancho Villa said "It is better to die on your feet then to live a lifetime on your knees."

Coach Whit doesn't feel any pressure. At 1-3 and USU coming in hungry like a wolf after a wounded deer, can you expect anything different?

• Y all the way
    Sept. 25, 2007 5:49 p.m.

Nothing shuts U guys up more than a loss. All week my phone rang about the win over UCLA then nothing no calls no trash talking just silence. All is well once again in the world GO COUGARS!

• Yman
    Sept. 25, 2007 5:51 p.m.

Ute fans know all to well about Fair Weather. He He I love it when they loose.

• Yossarian
    Sept. 25, 2007 5:58 p.m.

Maybe it was Pancho Villa. Maybe not.

From Catch-22:
    "...It's better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees," Nately retorted with triumphant and lofty conviction. "I guess you've heard that saying before." "Yes, I certainly have," mused the treacherous old man, smiling again. "But I'm afraid you have it backward. It is better to live on one's feet than die on one's knees. That is the way the saying goes."

anyway, Pancho Villa doesn't have much to do with a crapped out Utah football program--which appears to be living on it's knees and dying on it's feet, though.

• UTEHATER
    Sept. 25, 2007 6:46 p.m.

A. Utah by five. The check is in the mail. Yes, I will love you in the morning.

Q. Name the three most told Lies!

• Bill from South Dakota
    Sept. 25, 2007 8:22 p.m.

To Ute fan forever:
    I do not think that I am morally superior to those fans or non-fans who drink alcohol. What I resent is having to deal with the idiots in red who think that they have to throw the contents of their cup onto me along with multiple expletives just because I am in the BYU band. It may be "just football" and the fans in Happy Valley may look at life through odd colored glasses, but at least they are civil and decent to fans of the opposing team! I know because I returned to LES in the company of several Wyoming Cowboy fans several years ago. We were treated generously and kindly by the fans but not by the team on the field.

• Dan Mullen please
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:18 p.m.

Dr Hill, It's time to cut your losses and start thinking about another head coach. If you don't do something by the end of the season you'll see a seroious erosion in fan base. Consider Dan Mullen... he has nearly 7 years experience coaching offense in Urban Meyer's system including two years as Utah's QB coach.

• WOW!
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:22 p.m.

Once again I am amazed and shocked by several so-called BYU fans. A true fan would take pride in his team and let the others gracefully win or lose. I have never seen a more disrespectful culture than that found around L. Edwards Stadium and then agian personified in the comments above. I awe at the negativity and ignorance of some. Wow.

• The time has come
    Sept. 25, 2007 9:26 p.m.

We have seen Andy Ludwig's horrible play calling ability, and its time for Utah to let him go. Either he goes, or I go! And I'm taking a fan base with me!

• Jim in Idaho
    Sept. 25, 2007 10:46 p.m.

As Elder Rodney King once tearfully exclaimed...
    "Can't we all just get along"

• good matchup
    Sept. 25, 2007 10:53 p.m.

who would win USU or Notre Dame? Man that is too close to call. Notre Dame may have fancy uniforms but USU has at least scored a few touchdowns and can get 200 yards a game(usually).

Meanwhile I am puzzled that Utah is struggling so much. I thought their offense would be one of the top 15 offenses in the nation, but yet they cant score a single point against UNLV? There offense lost hardly any players and B. Johnson was supposed to be one of the best qbs in the country. You would think there running backs could do something because they have a lot of experience, but they cant even score from the 1 yard line(meanwhile BYU's freshman running back is getting over 100 yards a game).

• Dear Utes
    Sept. 25, 2007 11:45 p.m.

It's time to revert to the good old days. Fill your seats half full, and be pleased being mediocre. The program is simply mediocre and so are the fans. USU by 6.

• Rich
    Sept. 27, 2007 1:37 p.m.

I wonder what it was that they were "pouring" over the game films? Maybe gas or kerosene so they could burn them. If you meant that they were studying them with great intensity, that's "poring" over them.

Don't you guys have poorfreaders?