Utah

BYU owns this label: still stone-cold sober

Guide says it's No. 1 for 10th straight year

Comments

• Randy in Arizona
    Aug. 21, 2007 7:06 a.m.

But there ARE fraternities or sororities at BYU!

Elder's Quorum
    High Priest's Group
    Relief Society

• Rick
    Aug. 21, 2007 8:03 a.m.

Don't bite down too hard....the tongue in your cheek might suddenly become a lot shorter.[for Randy in Arizona]

• Bryan
    Aug. 21, 2007 12:21 p.m.

Way To Go BYU! This makes me so proud to be BYU alumni.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 21, 2007 12:26 p.m.

And this is news?

• Memikeyounot
    Aug. 21, 2007 1:44 p.m.

Why is this news, again? It might be news if BYU didn't get on this list every year, but somehow the news that BYU remains sober isn't exactly "NEWS"

• R
    Aug. 21, 2007 1:50 p.m.

Yeah, this is great news. Nothing makes you prouder to see the school you helped gain that ranking still have it! There is too much to worry about in life than adding the problem of alcohol to your life. I know of many university presidents who envy BYU because of this...they always have to deal with intoxicated people and the dumb things they do.

This is a great honor for BYU.

• Camilla
    Aug. 21, 2007 2:10 p.m.

Well done, BYU!! Why are we so awesome??

• Anonymous
    Aug. 21, 2007 3:05 p.m.

Randy in AZ. That was funny man. Even if ol Rick doesnt like it.

Good for BYU though. Having the standard is one thing and getting the results is a whole different game. Congrats.

• news worthy
    Aug. 21, 2007 3:08 p.m.

It is news, especially for the party schools. they can't fathom how someone can not drink, not smoke, not do drugs... they figure it is their right of passage and how dare someone not partake.

And to go to college and study.. the horror of it all.

• napolean dynamite
    Aug. 21, 2007 3:26 p.m.

SWEET!!!

• S. Righteous
    Aug. 21, 2007 4:44 p.m.

• someone
    Aug. 21, 2007 4:47 p.m.

BYU is amazing!!

and sober!!!

• Right On
    Aug. 21, 2007 5:15 p.m.

I agree with you S. Righteous!! And someone! BYU is amazing and sober!

• duncan
    Aug. 21, 2007 5:29 p.m.

i love it! go byu! but we need to be number one in lowest marijuana usage as well!

• GP
    Aug. 21, 2007 5:58 p.m.

Rise and Shout!!!
    Bust the Root Beer out!!!

• Muxue Liu
    Aug. 21, 2007 6:26 p.m.

I'm so proud of our school!

• Katie Hanson
    Aug. 21, 2007 7:57 p.m.

I just got back from a cruise and they made fun of this ranking but, darn it, I'm so proud to be different!!

• Gayle R
    Aug. 21, 2007 8:10 p.m.

BYU is also caffeine free. Why didn't they get that award?

• gr8fulcougar
    Aug. 21, 2007 8:17 p.m.

BYU is one of the greatest examples of the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Other kids leave home for college and parents worry themselves sick about what they might be doing. Our campus reflects what we believe, and that's why it's so AWESOME!!!

• SNiendorf93
    Aug. 21, 2007 8:29 p.m.

I think a lot of people overlook the talent it takes to write a story like this, which has happened 10 years running. Walch parlays his words into a creative masterpiece which make the article interesting, and fun, to read. Good job, BYU! Can't wait to see Walch top this story next year, when he'll get to write it AGAIN!!!!

• Nicole
    Aug. 21, 2007 9:21 p.m.

I wonder where BYU ranked on the acceptance of a gay community. If the U was ranked 11th, how did BYU rank?

• HappyValleyDweller
    Aug. 21, 2007 10:11 p.m.

S.Righteous, that sounds like too strong of a judgment to me. I'm not sure if you are coming at it from a political or religious perspective but your claim that the left wing media glamorizes alcohol use is a lazy accusation: all media promotes it. Most people I know who drink do it regardless of their political persuasion. How about we live our lives as we choose and allow others to live their lives as they choose. If they choose to drink and drive or abuse spouses and children then we throw the book at them.

• El Smith
    Aug. 21, 2007 11:17 p.m.

What about BYU-Idaho?

• why
    Aug. 22, 2007 12:52 a.m.

Who cares?

• cougarboy
    Aug. 22, 2007 1:03 a.m.

I care! It makes me happy to know that BYU is getting publicity for doing something right. That's not the type of news that you hear everyday. I just goes to show that if you use your agency the way the prophet tells us to, great things happen. I'm proud to say I go to BYU, even if it's not perfect.

• Wynndow
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:30 a.m.

Hey HappyValleyDweller, most of the media is left wing (or just about). But not all media promotes it. S.Righteous' point is to stop making alcohol appear to be a great thing when really it is poisonous trash. Of course people can choose but it is absolutely deceptive and insidious to portray alcohol as most media does. Same goes for cigarettes etc. Why not target prevention instead of rehab and other repair? And no, we can't just let people drink and drive and then throw the book at them! That is a last resort. Are you kidding? People's futures and very lives are in danger. It sounds like you don't care too much about what happens in society. Happy Valley needs you to do more than just dwell in it my friend.

• 70's Coug
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:38 a.m.

Thanks Y! When I was there in the seventies unfortunately I rebelled, I found the very few who smoked, drank etc. I'm ashamed and wish to apologize. If I could do it over I would be in church on sundays instead. Keep up the #1 that matters. Go cougs!

• Brenden
    Aug. 22, 2007 7:41 a.m.

Nicole - BYU is 11th in that category. Utah was 16th.

I just wonder why BYU has only been attop this list for ten years. Is that how long they have been doing the survey?

• Blue Marker
    Aug. 22, 2007 7:50 a.m.

May BYU ever continue in this vein. IBM learned (and taught) a long time ago that distinction creates awareness and attracts people of influence -- Big Blue. Others simply call it a Unique Selling Proposition. USP is vital to all marketing. BYU has separated itself with good distinction. Donors are fully aware of all that makes BYU distinct and donate accordingly. And parents willingly send their kids there. Smart move purely from the marketing side... and great distinction from all the other sides as well.

• BYU Class of 06 alum
    Aug. 22, 2007 8:18 a.m.

I think the proudest achievement should be that the library is ranked #3 in the nation. That's something that is very commendable and exciting to know that BYU ranks up there with the Ivy League schools.

• A BYU goer
    Aug. 22, 2007 9:13 a.m.

Well... it's an achievement imposed on and not voluntarily achieved by BYU goers.

• Frank B
    Aug. 22, 2007 9:28 a.m.

When our daughter went from Germany to Utah after marrying an RM she started to attend BYU. Her grades went straight into the sky - something I partially attribute to her high IQ but even more to the culture of learning and achieving at BYU. It is great to see that students attending BYU take their covenants seriously and thus contribute to being an 'ensign to the nations'.

• Happy BYU Alum
    Aug. 22, 2007 9:48 a.m.

To a BYU goer...Don't you get to choose where you go to colletge? Don't you chooose to sign the honor code?
    If not, I tell you like I told my own kids, FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL and let someone have your coveted position there! If any student resents the honor codes, they should give a good spot to someone who will love it! Its a privilege AND AN HONOR to choose voluntarily to keep the honor code. Anyone who resents it, needs to just go to a state university. I know the difference..I did both. IMHO, it IS voluntarily achieved, if a student is who they say they are.

• Brenden
    Aug. 22, 2007 9:50 a.m.

Imposed? I suppose so, but not involuntarily. They go there because of the standard, because they want to live that way. I did, and I sorely miss it at grad school here in the southeast. And everyone else I know that has gone or is going to BYU had a similar agenda. At least most of them do. I guess being #2 on the reefer list is witness that it isn't quite universal. But the standards are hardly a secret that is sprung on them after they enroll. It is all laid out for them by their ecclesiastical leader when they first apply, or by the coach when they are recruited, or whatever the route they take. They are given every opportunity to ask questions and make sure they understand what they are committing to, and that it is what they want. I may be wrong, but I believe the Honor Code at BYU was originally proposed and instigated by the students themselves back in the day, and subsequently endorsed and codified by the school. That is hardly coersion.

• G3DO
    Aug. 22, 2007 9:57 a.m.

To A BYU goer; It IS an achievement voluntarily achieved by each student who signs the honor code contract. No one is forced to sign just as no one is forced to attend. The only "imposition" is voluntarily accepted by those not wishing to live the standards they agreed to.

• Mike
    Aug. 22, 2007 11:02 a.m.

"BYU has dominated the stone-cold category since 1998, when Bill Clinton was president, BYU-Idaho was still known as Ricks and Harry Potter was just 12 years old and in his second year at Hogwarts."

No partying, but you have to mention the Satanic Harry Potter garbage?

Your priorities are whack.

• The same BYU goer
    Aug. 22, 2007 11:07 a.m.

I get the point and I retreat: If I choose to go to BYU, I already have chosen voluntary sobriety. Thanks folks.

• Tyler
    Aug. 22, 2007 11:13 a.m.

I did my undergraduate at San Diego State and am working on an MBA at the Y. Talk about going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Having seen first-hand what alcohol has done to the lives and futures of good friends I must say congratulations to BYU and its honor code. More congratulations to those who attend and follow that code for the right reasons.

• Disgusted
    Aug. 22, 2007 12:27 p.m.

S Righteous - You have to be kidding me. Drinking one beer DOES NOT make one a 'bad person'. How offensive! While I find it commendable BYU has a stellar sober reputation, I think it's disgusting you would call a casual drinker (hence, one drink) a bad person. Who are you to judge?

• Jorgensen
    Aug. 22, 2007 1:05 p.m.

"No partying, but you have to mention the Satanic Harry Potter garbage?"

Worse than that, they mentioned the Antichrist himself...*gasp*...Bill Clinton! ;-)

• Joe
    Aug. 22, 2007 1:28 p.m.

S Righteous was being facetious folks. I suppose I shouldn't have said that because it takes all the fun out of reading the responses to him/her.

• USU
    Aug. 22, 2007 1:31 p.m.

Commendable rank. One beer does not make one a bad person. The U of U is nearly as religious as BYU according to the survey, and I love BYU's sobriety and focus on what is most important.

• Jim
    Aug. 22, 2007 1:52 p.m.

According to the last book, Harry Potter was born in 1980. So in 1998 he would've been 18, and already out of school. Maybe moving onto BYU?

• My Dad went to the Y for summer
    Aug. 22, 2007 2:07 p.m.

But the mystery remains-
    Mug, Barq's, or A&W?

• Durango
    Aug. 22, 2007 3:58 p.m.

Doesnt anyone else find it disturbing that they actually measure sobriety at institutions of higher learning? I for one take my hat off to those students at WVU who do remain sober despite the apparent ease of obtaining lots of alcohol and other drugs. And I agree with the library ranking too -- it was a great place to nap before a big test!

• Anonymous
    Aug. 22, 2007 4:09 p.m.

You don't need alcohol to fuel your education or pot to enhance your creativity. Education isn't about like think ether. At nineteen it should be apparent you've left the womb. If you're LDS, you know what your church believes. Get out and experience more. BYU is tied with three schools for 37th place.

In a world with MIT, Cal Tech, Berkeley, Harvard and Penn State why hang out in Provo with like minded people. You have eturnity to

• J.J. Alum
    Aug. 22, 2007 4:47 p.m.

Way to Go BYU! 10 straight years is a great accomplishment. The Library is a great place to hang out too. BYU has a great example to set for the whole world. Keep up the good example and keep the ranking next year.

• I want a popsicle.
    Aug. 22, 2007 5:24 p.m.

"Why hang out in Provo with like-minded people?" To have a good influence around you! To not have to keep turning down parties! To attend devotionals and firesides with general authorities! As long as you don't choose to ignore everything and everyone outside of it, BYU is a great place to be, as shown by this article. Don't ge me wrong, there's nothing wrong with going to other schools, but there's nothing wrong with being around "like minded people" either.

P.S. To "My Dad Went to the Y For Summer": A&W :)

• Eturnity?
    Aug. 22, 2007 5:34 p.m.

Did Mr. "Get out and experience more" go to MIT, Cal Tech, Berkeley, Harvard, or Penn State?

• Mike
    Aug. 22, 2007 5:35 p.m.

"Good job, BYU!! Drinking one beer makes you drunk as well as a belligerent alcoholic and a bad person!! I, for one, believe Utah County should be a dry county. It's about time we end the glamorization of alcohol by the liberal media."

Brilliant sarcastic comment! I'm surprised anyone took this seriously!

Only in Utah!

The good Lord gave us FREEDOM of CHOICE, like we are granted in the United States Constitution.
    I suggest if you want to retain your FREEDOM of religious belief, you DO NOT vote for CFR Globalist Mitt Romney, but the true defender of your FREEDOMS, the CONSTITUTION, and UNITED STATES SOVEREIGNTY, RON PAUL!

• Underground
    Aug. 22, 2007 5:37 p.m.

Hmm, guess all the people I partied with at BYU didn't fill out the little princeton survey, hahaha. BYU does some great marketing, that's for sure. All I can say is, you momos are the most self-righteous bunch I've ever met. Thanks for the laughs; I'm sure I'll get more when I read your replies to this.

• Mike
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:32 p.m.

Underground, how dare you come on here and insult members of the LDS church!

"Momos" should be capitalized!

(Where's the winking emoticon?)

• Disgusted
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:39 p.m.

Right on Underground. I know of many BYU students and grads who drank and even, GASP, participated in the illegal use of drugs!

• Cosmo
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:40 p.m.

BYU is also the least-caffeinated campus in the world. Now that Hart's across from Helaman is gone, where or where do the co-eds go for leaded soft drinks...er...study aids?

• Cosmo
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:44 p.m.

Did Chico State win the polar-opposite of this award again...or did that honor again fall on our MWC compadre SDSU? heh heh...

• Natalie
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:47 p.m.

BYU is amazing.

• Tamaroa Tekeiaki
    Aug. 22, 2007 6:49 p.m.

This is all happen because the school is also guided and directed by the Lord Jesus Christ himself.

We are just crew on board.

Go BYU keep it up and never let go.

May the Lord continues to pour out his spirit on the school.

• Jesso
    Aug. 22, 2007 8:56 p.m.

"But the mystery remains-
    Mug, Barq's, or A&W?"

Can't be Barq's, it has caffeine ;)

• Chris
    Aug. 22, 2007 9:13 p.m.

I received a BS and Masters in Soc Work and a Cert. in addictions counseling at the "U" during the '80's. I've seen too many college students over the years ruin their opportunities for a good career and/or life because of poor choices related to the use of alcohol (and drugs). Yes, there are good people who drink alcohol and are responsible citizens. It's just nice to know there's a school that provides an optimal learning environment for the students...something that isn't done at most other Universities. Kudos to BYU!!!

• Ken Krogue
    Aug. 22, 2007 10:46 p.m.

There is no mystery...A&W. The only true rootbeer.

• Percodan
    Aug. 22, 2007 10:49 p.m.

is there any question on prescription drug use? I once heard that Utah is the number one per capita state in prescription drug use, specifically anti depressants and pain killers.

• Super Bowel Shuffel
    Aug. 22, 2007 11:06 p.m.

Jim McMahon must be yearning to return!

• honored to be here
    Aug. 22, 2007 11:48 p.m.

i love byu. i've never felt more happy, spiritually uplifted, or academically successful in my life. great school and i'm honored to be a byu student. and i love the honor code and think it's brilliant.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 23, 2007 1:30 a.m.

read the history behind the honor code and you will be horrified not proud of it

• Cosmo
    Aug. 23, 2007 6:56 a.m.

• Cosmo
    Aug. 23, 2007 7:03 a.m.

"...I once heard that Utah is the number one per capita state in prescription drug use, specifically anti depressants and pain killers." --posted by Percodan

Correct. Those stats were quoted on local radio--this week--in the Pacific NW showing UT has the highest prescription painkiller rate in the West...not sure what that has to do with BYU being stone-cold sober, though.

I did a little digging and noticed a spike in the data in November of '06 in the SLC area. A number of doctors, many of them psychiatrists, in the vicinity of Rice-Eccles Stadium reported increased demand for Vicatin and Darvocet by patients who came in incoherent and repeating two words "Beck" and "Harline."

• Bob
    Aug. 23, 2007 8:12 a.m.

Why is everyone referring to this as "an honor?" I'm fifty-two and I've been drinking since I was in the Marines in the seventies. I enjoy it! I've never missed work or hurt anyone else because of it and I think that mixing a perfect Manhattan is akin to creating a great pasta sauce. I'm glad I learned to drink and carouse when I was younger. I now look back on drinking in college as sometimes great fun and sometimes quite stupid. You know, like life. But I learned from it and I think that's what college should be about.
    I would highly encourage any BYU student to learn the joys of picking the right wine with the right food and maybe enjoying a cool one with your buddies while watching the Ute/BYU game this fall. Forget the rules and what's expected. College is a time to say-"I'm going to set rules and the crowd aside for awhile and live life."
    I honestly think that if we would take a more adult approach to drinking, we could avoid the idiocy of binge drinking and the darker effects of immature guzzling.

• No One in Particular
    Aug. 23, 2007 11:04 a.m.

Bob, it's simply an honor to do what the Lord asks. Personally I don't feel the need to question it any further, not to mention I'm happy with other alternatives to alcohol.

• Some1
    Aug. 23, 2007 11:18 a.m.

Mr/Ms. No One in Particular, do you mean prescription drugs/anti depressants/pain killers as other alternatives to alcohol?

• Tia
    Aug. 23, 2007 11:26 a.m.

I think it's hilarious that BYU came in #1. It may actually BE the most sober school, but there are so many people there who don't abide by the rules. They're just really good at concealing it so they don't get kicked out. So then when people fill out these surveys, they think there really are no problems. Well, whatever, surveys don't really matter anyway.

• gr8fulcougar
    Aug. 23, 2007 12:20 p.m.

Does the fact that those who are clearly anti-BYU and enjoy deriding the beliefs we hold dear have to log onto the BYU website to make fun of us make anyone else laugh? They probably had to look up the word "deride" too!

• BYU Distance learner
    Aug. 23, 2007 3:47 p.m.

Man, its a good thing they didn't interview any BYU "students" taking online courses. I would have definitely thrown off those results!

• Elle Jay
    Aug. 23, 2007 8:00 p.m.

WHAT A SURPRISE!!!
    LOVED the comment,
    "Don't expect any campus parties to celebrate a solid decade of super-hyped sobriety," which is TRUE.
    Just an article, probably written by BYU alumni, was enought to celebrate this AMAZING, RIGHTEOUS-BY-HEART ACCOMPLISHMENT.
    Way to Go Cougs, free-caffeine diet Coke for all.

• MacUser
    Aug. 23, 2007 8:38 p.m.

BYU is a incredible university. I am exceedingly thankful for the Honor Code and all those who choose to observe it. Having attended Cal Berkeley myself (although I can spell - unlike "Anonymous"), I deeply appreciate the morality, spirituality, and lifestyle of the students. My daughter was honored to have been accepted as a student at BYU, and she had three Ivy League schools from which to chose. Of course, what the Princeton Review doesn't seem interested in is the fact that most of the students have a great time at BYU. The students I've met also possess a great sense of humor.
    Congratulations to all BYU students and alumni, and thank you to the faculty and administration.

• Realist
    Aug. 23, 2007 10:59 p.m.

Lets not pat ourselves on the back too much. BYU might be "stone-cold sober" and have a great library, but check the numbers on topics that actually mean something to a university academically, such as overall quality ranking and individual college quality rankings.

Sorry, but BYU's rarely ANYWHERE near the top. Stop looking for statistics to make yourself look good and start figuring out how to improve your university.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 24, 2007 1:52 a.m.

I have to agree with realist. It doesn't do BYU an ounce of good to to be "stone-cold sober" if it isn't anywhere near the top in education. As to gr8fulcougar's comment...I don't have to look up the definition of deride to know what it means, and just because someone differs in opinion, doesn't give you the right to suggest that they are unintelligent.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 24, 2007 12:02 p.m.

I'll disagree with realist. The academics at BYU are very successful. As I recall, BYU's Business School is in the top 10 in the nation. The Law school and other sections of education have also been very successful. The claim that BYU is rarely near the top is flat out false.

• Adam
    Aug. 24, 2007 12:41 p.m.

this is stupid. just another thing for all the frickin students at byu to judge everyone else against. yeah, they might be the most sober, but theyre also the most judgemental

• Cougs
    Aug. 24, 2007 1:03 p.m.

Hey Underground and Disgusted I totally agree with Mike, just because you guys couldnt complete with living the standards of BYU, like many students do, it dosent mean you have to go in and target us on a religious point, just because you didnt complete. And for that self-righteous comment you made about us "momos" your obviously not on the bright side of the scale because thats a self-righteous comment you made...
    and as for Realist where are you looking up your information on the academics of BYU? I dont think Wakepideia is a valid source to be getting your information....maybe your just not top of the academic scale?

• Cougs
    Aug. 24, 2007 1:08 p.m.

Adam-
    Do you go to BYU? have you ever gone to BYU? if not then how can you tell us, the students how we act?...wait? were you making a judgment when you wrote your comment about how as BYU students we are now going to be judgmental? nice

• Bruce
    Aug. 24, 2007 1:26 p.m.

I'm glad that anonymous is defending BYU, but it really is inaccurate to say that BYU's b-school is in the top 10 in the nation - it's not even close, and you could ask anyone that went there to attest.

However, the fact that BYU ranks #1 in its alcohol consumption says more about its people than its academic rankings. I know, I went to Wharton and have seen plenty of smart drunks in my day.

• Accounting student
    Aug. 24, 2007 3:48 p.m.

Just to defend my university's business school, which I happen to attend myself...The Marriott Schools accounting program is very highly rated, having achieved a No. 1 ranking by the Financial Times in 2006, a No. 2 ranking in the 2005 Public Accounting Report, and a No.6 ranking in 2003 by U.S. News and World Report. Not top 10 in the nation, eh? It's actually very competitive, and the "Big 5" accounting firms in the nation recruit very heavily from BYU.

• Just reading along
    Aug. 24, 2007 4:46 p.m.

I love the internet....so many smart people and so many comments....just wanted to add my own:)

Looking forward to the upcoming football season! Go Cougs!!

• Another Accounting Student
    Aug. 24, 2007 10:02 p.m.

To Accounting student and others: US News and World Report has recently ranked the Accounting Program at BYU at No. 3 for 2007-2008.

• Taylor
    Aug. 25, 2007 7:43 a.m.

Ah, the irony of the internet. Adam, doesn't it take you making some sort of a judgement to make a blanket statement about how all BYU students will act? I supposed that you know at least half
    (that's about 15,000) of the student population at the y in order to make that kind of statement? Or maybe you took a stats class and are simply running a t hypothesis test? In any case, I'm sure that you are not making a "judgement" against all BYU students based on a bad experience that you clearly had with a few students? You wouldn't do that because you are clearly not judgemental yourself. Go Cougars! 7 days until AZ game!

• stop being negative
    Aug. 26, 2007 12:50 p.m.

haha! 'realist' and 'adam' you probably weren't admitted into byu and so you're mad. but if you're there, then knock it off with the negative attitude or get out. that university is a blessing to thousands, considering the LDS church assists with the overall cost. people around the world, including the poorest of the poor, faithfully pay their tithing and that helps lower the cost of obtaining an OUTSTANDING education at byu. 'accounting student' and 'another accounting student' thanks for the stats on the business school. go cougars! you rock and have my total support.

• RISE AND SHOUT
    Aug. 27, 2007 12:02 a.m.

The success of BYU should be measured by how well the school meets its mission statement:

"The mission of Brigham Young University--founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life. That assistance should provide a period of intensive learning in a stimulating setting where a commitment to excellence is expected and the full realization of human potential is pursued."

BYU's expectations transcend academics and should be judged accordingly.