Utah

Cat bites, infection risk 'are no joke'

Half of injuries can become infected due to bacteria levels

Comments

• onwerd
    Nov. 11, 2007 3:28 p.m.

In march of 2004 I was bitten by a cat in my thumb joint. Within 24 hours I went to hospital, started on IV antibiotics, went through surgery, hospitalized for 5 days then had to have IV antibiotics 4 times a day for over 3 months. Then..due to infection and immune system being compromised it went into complex regional pain syndrome. This left me in a level 9 to 10 pain 24 hours a day for over three years. Lost my buisness, bankruptcy, and to this day still have moderated to severe pain in wound sight. Cat bites are serious infections don't walk, don't even breath go immediately to the emergeny room so this will not be you. Oh and by the way I have a cat(not the one that bit me)

• Charles Braddish
    Jan. 16, 2008 10:09 a.m.

I was bitten by my cat one week ago today,on the back of my hand .I immediately flushed it repeatedly with alcohol and peroxide.The day following,I found myself in the ER for a tetnis shot an antibiotics as well as strong pain medication.After a week I can just now move my fingers a little,the worst pain is in my wrist .The swelling has subsided,but the pain is still bad enough to make a good nights sleep impossible.Any attempt at wrist rotation is severely painful

• Barbara
    Jan. 17, 2008 1:23 a.m.

Charles did you keep your cat??I was bitten last week also, but it was my fault. I did not pay attention to my cat being upset. after 4 days I knew I was going to be headed for trouble so I had to get a shot and anti biotics on Monday 14th. My Kitty has gotten progressively meaner and pooping on the floor, She's 7 1/2. I don't want to put her down,but I don't want that to happen again.

• Cindy in Sarasota
    Jan. 26, 2008 6:11 p.m.

I received a vicious cat bite 10 days ago from my own sweet kitty, 3 yr old Max. Forgetting that he was "an animal" and not my pet, I attempted to pick him up and calm him after his being frightened & threatened by another cat. Big mistake. Despite immediate care and shots, the hand wounds became infected and I'm on IV antibiotics for two weeks. Am just now able to use the hand but thankfully I won't require surgery. Seek immediate medical care and never forget that your "babies" are animals and can turn on you in an instant under the right circumstances.

• park city
    Jan. 28, 2008 6:01 p.m.

we can't keep this cat because it "attacks" people with teeth and nails and we have children in home
    rescues don't want her
    vet says to put her down
    can anyone think of any alternatives? snows here so she can't be outdoor cat
    would best friends animal sanctuary take her?

• Kathy Somera
    April 2, 2008 9:04 p.m.

I might have stepped on the tail. I was preparing dinner on March 24, 2008 at 7:00 PM. Usually, the cat's under the table. I didn't see the tail...then the cat cried. I looked at my right foot, there was blood. There are 2 wounds (2 inched in distance) & a scratch. I called my sister, a doctor. She told me to wash the area with soap, wather & alcohol & ran to the nearest hospital for anti-tetanus & anti-rabies injections. I had 5 injections on that night, aside from the 2 tests. It was pinful, I had swelling on the area, I had slight fever & had to finish 5 anti-rabies injections. I am still struggling with the effects of the injections...

• Anonymous
    April 27, 2008 9:53 p.m.

I have a cat that has always been moody, but recently has been biting and breaking the skin on my teenage daughter. It just happened for the second time, and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm taking my daughter to the doctor tomorrow, and the cat to the vet. I won't keep a cat that is a danger to the children in the house, but I can't see anyone else wanting a cat that bites this hard. :(

• donna
    May 26, 2008 12:09 a.m.

my neigbour recently accused my cat of biting her cat,she stated it came up three steps during the dsy bit her cat and just sat there. my cat is five years old never attached another cat ever it was declawed when i adopted it and it is the most gentle cat with both my dog and my smaller female cat. this lady told me that her cat cannot walk anymore even thought she waited thre days to take it to a vet. and then tonight she used foul language swearing that i am a liar. i told her i never saw this happen nor did anyone else. does anyone have any thoughts on this

• Anonymous
    June 7, 2008 10:40 a.m.

Two days ago, I was bitten by a cat. I accidentally stepped on it and it gave me a nasty puncture wound on my lower right leg. I flushed the wound with an anti-bacterial soap and water, and went to the ER for anti-tetanus and anti-rabies shots less than 24hrs later. The wound had become red, swollen and tender to the touch. Honestly, I wasn't thinking so much of infection when I went to the ER. I was thinking of RABIES. A neighbor's nephew died of RABIES last year. The poor lad didn't tell anyone a dog bit him. Okay, so it was a dog. But cats could be rabid, too. Besides, the cat that bit me was a former stray cat and was just adopted by the family a day before the biting. I received a total of about 10-11 shots on the arms, the backside and around the puncture. Not necessarily an enjoyable experience, I'm telling you. I still need to make 4 trips to the ER for my shots. My upper arms still hurt as of this posting.

• Norma
    June 11, 2008 7:58 a.m.

My cat bit my right thumb on June 8, 08. Did everything recommended, but ended up with infection. Went to doc, got tetanus shot and antibiotics. Still very swollen, and sore, but red lines down arm are fading. Wrist and knukles are very tender. My cats have never bitten before, all 3 have current rabies vaccinations, but were scared of my grandson's dog. These kind of bit should always be taken seriously and be treated by a doctor.

• Sundance
    June 15, 2008 9:23 a.m.

I was bitten on both sides of my thumb joint on June 10th by a stray cat at the animal shelter where I volunteer. I moved him to clean his cage, and he was fine, but when I tried to pick him up to move him back, he attacked without warning. He wouldn't let go. He actually punctured me 7 times. Two of the wounds bled profusely, but the others sealed right up. My knuckle swelled up immediately, but my hand didn't look too bad, so I continued working for two hours. I went to Urgent Care about 4 hours after the bite because it had become very swollen and painful. They took X-rays (bits of teeth can break off) and put me on pain medication and IV antibiotics. I went back the next day because the swelling was worse and I had red streaks up to my armpit. I spent 3 days in the hospital on pain medication and IV antibiotics. The palm of my hand was lanced to release some of the pus. Very painful, very serious...don't mess around with a cat bite!

• Bumpkin
    June 25, 2008 3:42 p.m.

My father-in-laws cat bit me Sunday night, June 22. Got me with all 4 incisors and all paws. We had a stray out my daughters window and without thinking, I grabbed the cat to get him out. He turned on me and grabbed with all his might. I bled profusly for about 15 minutes while I ran the bites and scratches under water. I then went to the ER. Put me on antibiotics and pain meds and sent me on my way. They counted a total of 10 marks on my left arm. I am going to the Dr. tomorrow as I am afraid 2 or 3 of the bites are infected. Hope that they don't have to cut them open to flush, etc.

• Amy
    July 7, 2008 3:48 p.m.

My 19 year old daughter was bitten by four 10 month maincoon. I didnt think anything of it and I am an RN and flushed it with peroxide and put antibiotic oint on it. Five hours later it was red and swollen and the pain was awful. I took her to the ER the the doctor said you cant clean a cat bite because of the sharp teeth and the wound closes after the bite. She was on 2 different antibiotics, pain killers, and a 40.00 antibiotic cream. It spread to from the finger to the palm of her hand and she was unable to make a fist. After daily icing and elavation of hand and meds seven days later she is now able to make a fist. We lucked out and didnt need the hand surgon but he said she may have permanent damage as in aches and pain in the hand for months. Dont mess around with cat bites. She was bitten twice before by this cat and was fine. He is now RIP in the back yard!

• Kelly
    July 14, 2008 7:47 p.m.

Amy - are you saying that you killed the kitten because your daughter got bit by it?

• Rosemarie
    Sept. 13, 2008 3:07 p.m.

Yesterday morning I was bitten on the top of my wrist by my cat. Cleaned the 2 punctures and got into my Dr.s at 4:00pm. By the time I got there my hand was red, swollen, and I was in alot of pain. I was given oral antibiotics and meds for the pain. 24 hours later I feel somewhat better, but my hand is more swollen, wider area of deep redness, and more pain when trying to move wrist or fingers.
    Should the meds have given me more relief? I do not think I am improving ... should I give the meds more time to take effect?

• Jennifer
    Sept. 18, 2008 9:03 a.m.

Last night my cat was chased my a pitbull. I picked him up to put him in my room and he attacked my face. He bit me from my lip to right below my eye with huge puncture wounds. He unhinged his jaw like a lion. Somehow he also bit my two fingers which are now so swollen I cannot bend them. After reading all the comments I guess I will go to the doctor even though I wasnt planning on it. So thanks everyone.

• Kathy
    Nov. 24, 2008 5:44 a.m.

I was petting a very loving, purring stray at 10 p.m. when he turned on me and bit that top of my hand. I've never experienced that amount of pain! I cleansed the 4 punture wounds and went to the Dr. in the morning. Started on oral antibiotics, got my tetnus and was told to watch for red streaks up my arm. That happened by 5Pm so off i went to the ER. I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days of IV antibiotics and pain meds. The best treatment was from my hand surgeon, he had me soak in hot, soapy water for 20 min. 4x/day. I was to exercise my fingers and wrist-force them to move. At that time I couldn't move them. WOW, what a difference, I think that helped more than anything! I still have 3 awesome cats and will continue to rescue the strays.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 27, 2008 9:53 p.m.

My mom just spent three days in the hospital from a cat scratch that dug deep into her foot...she needed major antibiotics.

• sue
    March 11, 2009 1:08 p.m.

my cat bit me after feeling threatened by a dog. didn't think much about it til I started feeling really ill. Ended up at the dr who said it was infected. now on antibiotics..hopefully will not end up in the hospital. I never knew that cats carry bacterias that were so bad for us!!

• MOM
    March 23, 2009 11:48 p.m.

My 5 year old son was bit by a stray cat in our backyard. We took him immediately to urgent care thinking he needed stitches, they dont stitch cat bites because of the infections that could be sealed in. They cleaned out the wound. Was put on oral antibotics. Within 48 hrs his arm was swollen, hot, had a fever and couldn't close his fist. Was sent to a hand surgeon and was put on IV antibotic for Cellulitis a form of staph infection and bacterial skin infection, common for cat bites. He has to have the antibotic through an IV every 8 hours for 2 weeks. Then the doctor will look at him for possible hand surgery if the tendons have been affected by the bacterial infection. So important to get care from a doctor asap when bit by a cat.

• Curious
    March 25, 2009 12:29 p.m.

I was bitten by a wild pregnant kitten/cat 2 days ago while trying to pick her up to take her to the shelter. I've been able to pet her without any problem but when I tried to actually pick her up she went Jackie Chan on my hand and arm. I have scratches on my hand but a bite wound on my wrist that has become swollen and hard. I was waiting to see if it would just go down but it just stays the same (which is good that its not getting worse) I have no streaks down arm but curious to what hardened part is. I read the comments previous and the whole draining thing kinda makes me feel ill..lol Guess I'll go to doctor...wish me luck that they dont have to drain it.

• Eve April1 2009
    April 1, 2009 10:46 a.m.

Was bitten on the left 7 times by a cat I had adopted a day before from the SPCA. Called doc and got antibiotics. 2 days later was swollen 3 times its size and red, hot, and extremely painful. Ended up in hospital for 4 days, had surgery to hand, IV antibiotics and extreme pain still. Be very careful of cat bites - always to to ER immediately.

• Bobbie
    June 7, 2009 1:42 p.m.

I was bitten on my right hand ring finger by a cat in April 2008. The cat actually full-on attacked me, wrapping its entire body around my arm. I went to the emergency room immediately. They told me that cats have a bacteria in their mouths that dogs don't have and if I didn't do surgery I was either going to have permanent arthritis or lose my finger. I had two surgeries and spent four days in the hospital. Then I had to do physical therapy to strengthen up my hand again. It's been a year and 1 month since it happened and I still have swelling and pain in my hand. I'm fixing to probably go see another doctor to find out what's going on or what I can do. But the moral of the story is, even the sweetest cats can turn on you. This cat wasn't mine, but she was petite and seemed very loving. She attacked me out of no where, I didn't grab her or do anything that should have made her feel threatened. Your pets are still animals with the potential to attack you at anytime

• shelley
    June 16, 2009 10:40 a.m.

I got bit by my cat in Jan. 2009 and I have had 6 surgeries on my hand since then. It still hurts and it looks so terrible but at least I have my hand. My hand surgeon said I almost lost my hand. He also said he has never seen a cat bite as bad as mine. I still have my cat but I am more careful not to scare him like I did. Please, if you get bit by a cat go to the ER. Cat bites are very dangerous and can kill you.

• millie
    June 19, 2009 8:09 p.m.

These posts are very scary. My cat just bit me by accident. He has a habit of trying to rip open his treats bags which my husband encourages.Well I was holding the bag and forgot about it and started to do something on the computer when Blackie came up and tried to rip the bag and got my finger instead. It hurt really bad but its just two small puncture wounds on my finger and I put some antibiotics on it.I yelled at him but he just looked at me like I was crazy because he has never been yelled at since he is only a year old. If it looks bad tomorrow I guess I will go to the ER

• lefty
    June 22, 2009 9:06 a.m.

I never knew how serious a cat bite was until now. My girl bit me at the vet and I was admitted to the hospital the next day for an overnight stay to receive IV antibiotics. The infection spread from my hand all the way up my arm in less than 24 hours - doctor said if I didn't come when I did I would need surgery and would be in the hospital much longer. VERY SERIOUS - cat bites are no joke! My friends now call me lefty!

• Karen
    June 24, 2009 10:37 p.m.

In late January I was trying to help a freind she said help me, I saw her holding her cat that was trying to climb up the front of her body it was scaried, dummy me I went over to help her, I crabed the cat with both hands to put it on the ground it turnd and bit me on my right thumb. The storie is the same in the ER room,hand swollen red line. put in the hospital for 4 days on IV. now it is almost seven months later and on the 26th of june back to the hospital for surgery to clean out the infection that wont go away. cats mouths are just dirty

• Sue
    June 29, 2009 3:37 p.m.

My 5 year-old male cat bit my leg last night. He was sitting in an open window with a screen and apparently saw another cat come up our drive. He started screeching, hissing. I stepped into the door about 5 feet away and he turned on me! The cat was apparently allowed outside in a fenced yard as a new kitten. We got him at 9 weeks and we were told he was an indoor cat. The woman apparently raised dogs and didn't understand that our cat was marked for outside. As a young cat, he constantly tried to run outside and escaped a few times. He was bitten once when out on the run. I have kept him in but one year ago, he saw a cat in drive and went crazy. The other cat jumped on the screen and they were fighting through the screen. He has not been outside but this territorial behavior continues from "inside" and now I am afraid to even open a window! My wound from last night appears okay and I washed it and applied antibiotics. Is there anything I can do about this behavior? It is frightening!

• To Sue
    June 29, 2009 4:11 p.m.

Has your cat been neutered yet? That usually would calm him down considerably.

• Amazing
    June 29, 2009 4:19 p.m.

Why would anyone have one of these useless vermin around with the possibility of one of these painful infectious bites occurring? I was bitten years ago by one of these critters. Less than an hour later it was dead. Never again will I have one of these dirty varmints around.

• Re: Sue
    June 29, 2009 4:25 p.m.

"Is there anything I can do about this behavior? It is frightening!"

Yes, there is: There is no reason to keep an animal that you have to worry about possibly attacking you (or someone or something else) at any time. Get rid of it. Plain and simple. A bullet is cheaper than a can of cat food.

• Naruto
    June 29, 2009 4:25 p.m.

The moral of the story is-don't pick up a cat when they're in a cat fight. It might sound bad, but they rarely hurt each other very seriously. You can break them up pretty easy just by running in between them. I have two cats, both of them rescued from the street. The second one my friends and I rescued from a junkyard, he bit my friend pretty good when he picked him up, he definitely was feral, it took 7 weeks for his hand to heal! It only took 24 hours for the cat to become non-feral, he was only a kitten, I appropriately named him "Hazard"

• Naruto
    June 29, 2009 4:52 p.m.

The other moral of the story is-have your cat spayed and neutered! It's cheap.

• Steven
    June 29, 2009 5:09 p.m.

In these posts are common threads that we can take as lessons. I've had cats for almost 40 yrs and offer this advice; 1. It's rare, but cats can be schizoid. The signs are similar to people's. 2. A cat's bite is a puncture wound with some laceration on the surface. You can wash the "cut" and not touch the bigger risk. 3. Trim cats' claws frequently even though it takes two people to do it. Afterward, use swabs with alcohol or antibacterial soap to clean the claws as well as you would brush teeth. 4. Treat every scratch and especially bites as potential grief. 5. Approach every hurt or scared cat as a potential bomb. Use a towel or blanket, use one hand on the scruff of the neck to hold it down on a carpet or anything not slippery or your thigh. If you don't have to take it to the vet (in a cage!) find a quiet room and let it loose to calm down for a few hrs. Practice when the cat is mellow. 6. Keep shots up-to-date- BOTH OF YOU!

• Tim
    July 5, 2009 4:22 p.m.

i`ve had cats most of my life and have been bittin and scratch from head to toe and no med problems. one week ago I went to pick up my cat who was just sitting there looking at me, guess he wanted to play so he bite me above my left wrist but 2 nails puntured under the wrist the size of the tip of a needle, I knew right away this was different, it was too painful. In 24 hours I knew it was infected, went to the clinic, tetnus shot, peniciline shot, blood work, sent me to a specialist. antibiotic meds didnt seem to be working so I went to the ER, got an IV in left hand, 5 days have past and its getting better-itching has accord. Now im deathly afraid of cats and never want this to happen again.

• Wanda
    July 15, 2009 3:33 a.m.

July 9th, my 3 1/2 yr old male cat, up to date shots, always been gentle and loving, bite me. I was sitting at my computer when he came up bumping my leg so I petted him. He jumped up on the arm of my chair, as always, continuing the bumping, so I petted him a couple of strokes again, then with all of his might, he bite me on the left side of my face. Shocked, in pain, bleeding, I yelled and ran for the bathroom to stop the bleeding. I cleaned the wound with antibacterial soap and rinsed with warm water, cleansed again with hydrogen peroxide, then applied triple antiB. Immediately, the wound turned red and started to swell. I continued cleaning the wound and thought since he had up to date shots that I was in no danger. Still swollen in throbbing pain, the wound developed red itching blisters. I went to the doctor on July 13th, got a tetanus and steroid shot along with Rx for Amoxicillin. Throbbing pain, now swollen glands around left side of ear and throat. I give up, July 15th going to ER, need IV for more antibiotics.

• Ncgrrl
    July 15, 2009 11:09 a.m.

My cat bit and scratched me during a nail trimming session, which he hates. It is possible I may have inadvertertently cut into the quick of his claw, although I thought I was being very careful. He ran into the next room. I went in there [big mistake] to console him. I squatted down, patted him on the head, and was talking my normal "baby talk" to him. I withdrew my hand, and he suddenly lunged at me and started biting and scratching. I have two small marks tears which I wasn't sure were bites or scratches, but I immediately went to the doctor to get antibiotics, and am going today for a follow-up to be sure all is ok with this injury. With this being right over my wrist bone, I am not taking any chances since I was infected by a very shallow cat bite in the past! Bottom line: IF YOU ARE BITTEN BY A CAT, CLEAN THE WOUND, DISINFECT IT AND GO TO THE DOCTOR. DON'T WAIT FOR AN INFECTION.

• Sonya
    Aug. 16, 2009 8:09 p.m.

I was taking care of my friends cat for 10 days. On July 11th day cat bite me on my wrist. I cleaned the wound and I didnt think anything of it. It was weekend and I didnt want to go to ER so I didnt seek any medical help and I really didnt think would be any problem either. In two days my wrist was red, swollen and painful. Finally I went to doctor on Monday and I took antibiotics for ten days. It is been over a month now and my hand is getting worst. I dont have pain but it is numb and it feels like elecricity running through my hand, wrist and all the way to my upper arm. I will go back to doctor this week to see what is happening.

• Lauri
    Aug. 23, 2009 9:23 a.m.

I was bit by my cat 3 weeks ago on the elbow, cleaned it out did all the right things, but by morning it was badly infected. Went to the doctors and he put me on meds for a week. The problem now is the shooting pains in my arm and the spot where the cat bit me is not going away. It is still sore in that area to even touch. Could the infection be in my tendons?

• Emily
    Aug. 23, 2009 2:56 p.m.

Just rushed my husband to the emergency room at 10am...he showd me his hand that was bit by our cat Millie...who has bitten before...he never had an infection until now...the Dr. at th ER gave him ampicillion plus 875 mil grams to take twice a day...
    he will go to his Dr. in the morning...he's bandaged up...but his fingers are starting to swell...
    I think he will be hospitalized...he refuses to go back to the ER tonite!

• Ray
    Aug. 25, 2009 7:37 a.m.

I have had a number of shallow cat bites into just fleshy parts and they have not been a problem perhaps because I suck and squeeze the area to try to eliminate most of the bacteria and encourage it to bleed to flush it out. I train cats to stop biting by putting my hand over it's head and using a thumb and index finger to press its cheeks inward so when it tries to bite more, it's own cheeks are being bitten. That seems to get them to stop biting.
    I am told that declawing cats tends to make them into biters. I had one deep really hard bite (my mistake) into a knickle joint by a scared cat that had been declawed by another person and kept the wound open for 5 days and used clear plastic tube to suck out white pus and blood daily for 5 days until if seemed to stop and most of the swelling went down but did not get antibiotics. That was six months ago and there is still sometimes some ache in the joint. I will watch it.

• Jennifer
    Aug. 28, 2009 3:47 p.m.

I was bitten by my cat almost 2 weeks ago. I've been on antibiotics for 1 wk and 1 day. It was on my pointer finger and he got the top and bottom pretty deeply. I have feeling in my finger but no movement. The Dr. is putting me on another antibiotic to take as well as 875 mg of Augmentin. My question is: Anyone who has been bitten and lost movement....does it come back? I'm going to give it a week with the new antibiotic and if that doesn't work the Dr. suggested seeing a hand surgeon. PLEASE OFFER ANY ADVISE!

• Janet
    Sept. 19, 2009 6:36 a.m.

I was bitten by my cat last week and I have been on two types of antibiotics for four days. I am waiting on a call from my doctor to see if I need to go into the Hospital and get anitbiotics through an IV for the infection. The bite was on my forehead and my entire face is swollen. I never knew a cat bite could be so serious!

• sara
    Oct. 1, 2009 8:22 p.m.

My brothers wife was bitten by their cat Harrison,two days ago and it had been in the family forever. She went to the doctor and all he did was put her on medication and sent her home then it had started to swell up really bad and she went to the hospital and today she had to get surgery and she might have to get another.I never knew cats were that harmful!

• Danielle
    Oct. 21, 2009 5:52 p.m.

I got bit on my middle finger on my right had. Haad 4 puncture holes, one went straight through my nail, one on the side of my finger, tip of my finger and on the bottom of my finger right where the tendon was. It got severely infected and I almost lost my finger. Thankfully the antibiotics worked. Last week I was attacked by a cat. Clawed my face and chest all up and bit me hard on the right side of my face. That side of my face swelled up bad and even over a week after the bite, though better, its still a little infected. Going on my 2nd week of antibiotics. If you get bitten by a cat, don't take it lightly. Cat bites can be extremally serious.

• Chad Reams, York, PA
    Nov. 3, 2009 1:56 p.m.

Now I'm worried. I was bitten my our old fat cat yesterday. Middle finger, right in the middle of a joint on the tender side of my hand. While it hurts, it is swollen and hurts. I probably need to see a doctor. Problem, I don't have insurance. I bet this is going to cost a lot. I would love to hope it would just all heal up and go away. But after reading these comments I'm afraid for the worse.

• Julie
    Nov. 5, 2009 7:42 p.m.

Chad, it probably will be expensive but it is worth it if you get to keep your finger. I got bit by our cat in July. I was grooming her outside (she was on a leash) and a stray cat came up to us. Our cat freaked out and I scooped her up to protect her from the stray with claws. Big mistake! Shadow wanted down but I wouldn't let her, so she bit me hard on my right index finger. I cleaned it but didn't go to the doctor for about 13 hours. By then my whole hand hurt. They gave me a tetnus shot and high levels of Augmentin. I soaked my hand in warm water. The doctor even came in on his day off to see my hand because he was concerned I could lose it. It has been almost 4 months now. I've been to a physical therapist 3 times but quit going because I know the exercise to do myself at home. The finger is still swollen and it can take a long time for the swelling to be completely gone. I am thankful I still have a finger!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 5, 2009 8:14 p.m.

Our neighbors cats have the run of the neighborhood that I live in. These cats kill and eat rats, mice, squirrels and birds daily. I cannot understand what is wrong with the cat owners who let them run free to use all the neighbors gardens as a cat box. Cats carry disease if they fun free. Yesterday a sleeping raccoon in my neighbors yard just about killed a stray cat that accidentally stumbled across a sleeping raccoon nest, and this happpened while I was raking leaves up. I yelled at the raccoon to let go of the cat that it had pinned down. The cat finely got lose and ran off. I don't know who's cat or how bad the cat was hurt. I felt sorry for the cat, but I'm mad at his owner. Whoever it might be for letting their pet run free.

• MOMMYOF2
    Dec. 4, 2009 6:55 p.m.

HI MY DAD WAS BIT BY MY GRAND-PARENTS CAT 3 DAYS AGO, BETWEEN HIS THUMB AND POINTER FINGER! HIS FINGER WAS THROBBING AND SWELLED OVER A 4 HR SPAN SO HE WENT TO TH E.R. AND HAS BEEN AT THE HOSPITAL SINCE.THEY ADMITTED HIM AND HE HAS HAD 2 SURGERIES IN 2 DAYS.. THE ANTIBIOTICS THEY STARTED HIM ON WERENT WORKING WELL NOW THEY PUT HIM ON VANCOMYOCIN (I BELIEVE THATS HOW ITS SPELT)...I DONT THINK MY DAD AND STEPMOM REALIZE HOW SERIOUS THIS IS. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS ANTIBIOTIC WILL HELP?? I AM VERY WORRIED HE 61 AND IS IN PRETTY GOOD HEALTH! WILL HE LOSE HIS FINGER OR HAND? AND IS HE CONTAGIOUS IN ANYWAY? CAN WE CATCH WHAT HE HAS GOTTEN? IF ANYONE CAN HELP OR IF THERE ARE ANY DOCTORS ON THIS SITE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT MORE NEEDS TO BE DONE TO MAKE HIM BETTER!!! IM WORRIED THAT THERE NOT THAT CONCERNED I THINK IT IS WAY MORE SERIOUS THEN THEY THINK!! HELP HELP HELP..PLEASE

• JO
    Dec. 17, 2009 4:36 p.m.

ANYONE WHO CALLS CATS...OR ANY ANIMAL FOR THAT MATTER "VERMIN" SHOULD TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THEMSELVES...I WOULD MUCH MUCH RATHER LIVE IN A WORLD FULL OF LOVELY ANIMALS THAN THESE SO CALLED "HUMANS"

• beenbitalot.
    Dec. 23, 2009 2:27 p.m.

WHATS WITH THE CAPS?? you all are crazy for thinking any of us care any of you got bit.. wah wah wah... yeah it hurts but get treated and get over it.

• tt
    Jan. 13, 2010 5:19 p.m.

my son was scratched by our cat and had to have 7 stitches in his arm.he is on antibiotics every 6 hours for 10 days.will have the stitches taken out in a couple of days.i was suppose to take the cat to the vet to make sure he didnt have any diseases.are there many diseases you can get from a cat scratch?or does most of it occur with a cat bite.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 8, 2010 2:38 p.m.

I was bitten by a neighbor cat 5 days ago. Thank God my first reaction after the shock was to wash the wound, peroxide and a triple antibiotic ointment. Have continued with this everyday 3 times daily since and am doing well considering the pain. 3 Ibuprofen and 2 Benadryl twice daily have helped to reduce the swelling and keeping my arm elavated on a pillow at night helps with the pain. God willing it will be fine in a few more days.

• Kara
    Feb. 17, 2010 11:21 a.m.

My mom got bitten by my kitten because of it is scared of dogs.Dolphin(the kitten)saw dogs for the very first time in her life.Kitten bitten Sheryl(my mom)hard on the pointer to the middle.

• Kara'smom
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:04 p.m.

the first day my had started to swell,i put all the normal stuff on it. I squeezed out the next day the the junk inside,it made it feel a little better, my hand is not as swollen for where the bite was the knuckle of the pointer and in between the thumbconnets to the pointer still hurts. i still have most mobility of the hand,except the pointer. It will be a week tommorrow it bit me. some lymph nodes between the thumb and pointer still hurt pretty bad pointer still swollen. i can bend pointer to a degree and its still swollen under pointer knuckle. have not seen dr or er. Since its been slightly improving do i need to be treated,cant afford it.....

• Paul
    March 5, 2010 11:34 a.m.

My cat has an occasional seizure when she tries to lick her upper back. It last for only 20seconds or so,very dramatic. My wife was bitten while comforting her during a seisure by accident and what followed I will never forget. My wife while cleansing with H2O2 and tea tree oil became faint and seconds later went into the same epileptic type seisure as the cat. I thought she was going to die. I gave her mouth to mouth and on the second attempt she came around and didnt remember a thing, in fact she said "what are you doing?".Ive never seen anything like this in my life. Scary!!!

• mandy
    March 9, 2010 4:12 p.m.

i got bitten by my sweet little cat last weekend.Was to my little finger, she had got her leg trapped and was scared so i tried to help her. Deep puncture to top and bottom of my little finger. more painfull on that night (sat).On monday i could tell it was infected.Had tetnus at dr and antibiotics.Hand swelled up more and infection got a little worse.2 days after strting tablets much better, swelling gone down infection gone although still feels quite stiff.I too didnt think this could be that serious, now i know !!!!

• Stealthcat
    March 10, 2010 4:20 p.m.

I agree with you Jo. Animals are much better than humans.
    This morning I got bit on the hand by a neighborhood cat who we feed. I usually pet him on the head but today he didn't like it. I got two puncture wounds in the fleshy part of my palm. Immediately I soaked the wounds with hydrogen peroxide.
    We have multiple cats and I've been bitten many times over the years (usually my fault)with no infections or problems. But reading all these 'horror' stories has me concerned.
    Now it is about 8 hours after the bite and my hand is hurting. I have called my doctor's office and am waiting for them to call back with advice. My last tetanus shot was 3 years ago.

• JP
    March 23, 2010 9:34 a.m.

my cat, that uses a litter box, clawed me on my wrist area with all or most of his paws/nails. Wounds healed fine. one month later I awoke to my wrist hurting very badly. Saw doctor one week later since it wasn't getting better and was put on antibiotics. 4 days later no relief at all. No red lines, no fever, but it's swollen at the wrist bone, right on top of the bone that sticks out on most people. I don't know what to do?

• Jaxx Buzzards Bay, MA
    Sept. 21, 2010 11:31 a.m.

Ok, my 26 lb Raggamuffin/Maine Coon Mix (Bear) attacked me three days ago. Unprovoked, just lept and latched on to my left forearm. I came away with five deep scratches and two puncture wounds from his teeth. I have SEVERE pain and my left hand is tingling. I just called my PCP and she is going to see me today. Ugh. I really don't want to be on antibiotics OR get a tetanus shot. But, gotta do what she says. Also, I am in the process of trying to give Bear away. I have never, in the 30 plus years of having cats, been bitten or attacked. Not about to start now!

• Jaxx Buzzards Bay, MA
    Sept. 23, 2010 12:29 p.m.

Had to have a tetanus shot, which is more painful than the dang cat bites. And I am on Augmentin, which is one of the strongest anti-biotics out there. It wreaks havoc on your stomach and intestines. I am miserable! :-( One of the puncture wound sites is healing ok, but it is still swollen and hard, feels like a metal ball under there. And, I still am trying to get rid of Bear.

• Ray2 Toronto, ON
    Jan. 14, 2011 8:22 p.m.

I am following up on my comment that I made Aug 25,2009 following a deep cat bite where I opened the wound daily to suck out pus with a clear straw until the pus seemed to be gone. I did not take antibiotics. About 1 1/2 years have passed since the bite and the knuckle seems to be fine and works normally with no noticeable problems. I think that the key was aggressively extracting the pus by suction while massaging/milking all four sides of the wound with my fingers. The cat is now confortable and relaxed in our home and is a reasonably affectionate and allows handling and petting. If you have any signs of the infection getting worse I suggest that you see a doctor but if you let the infection get trapped inside, it can be difficult to remove with antibiotics and/or an operation.
    It was uncomfortable to pick the sealed wound open every day but I probably would have had problems if I did not get the infection and pus out.

PS-If unsure, Play with a string or toy to relax the cat before handling.