Utah

1984 Lafferty case still haunts

2 brothers show no remorse for brutal killings

Comments

• rogerr
    Sept. 22, 2007 1:12 p.m.

Not only did Allen know about the "removal revalation" before the murders and not do anything so did the other brothers and their mother, two accomplisses, and some members of the fundementalist group to which they the belonged. What makes the story even more horrifying, than what is presented in this informative article, is that none of those people tried to stop the murders.

• Herb Goldberger
    Dec. 20, 2007 6:55 p.m.

Incredible that there are such evil people in the world.
    How twisted can you get ? To declare yourself a prophet of the Lord, and kill an innocent woman and her baby because you feel you are doing Gods work is simply mind boggling. How much better are those who knew of this horrendous plot beforehand but kept silent ? The things that people do in the name of religion is chilling.

• daniel Butler
    Dec. 21, 2007 9:10 p.m.

I read the book about this story and it made me ball my eyes out. I havent cried in over 8 years since I served my mormon mission. May god be with the wright family and all those who are innocent in this tragedy.

• Beth
    Jan. 5, 2008 10:39 p.m.

I just read Under the Banner of Heaven and wanted to express my sorrow over the tragic deaths of Brenda and baby Erica. How sad that such religious extremism is rampant in our own society. Ron and Dan Lafferty are really no different than the terrorists that flew planes into the WTC and the pentagon on 9-11.

• Todd-Willis
    Feb. 3, 2008 12:34 a.m.

Catholic, Mormon or Protestant we're all Christians and Satan has vowed to destroy us all. The Lafferty brothers, along with Brenda and her baby, are all victims of the devil. False revelations aren't nvented- they come from hell's throne. Praise Jesus that we have not yet fallen victim as well. Or have we?

• Ben Meachen
    Feb. 12, 2008 2:58 p.m.

Under the Banner of Heaven has opened my eyes to what i can honestly say are terrifying possibilities. The murders that this book were centered around were chilling to say the least, however with crimes of passion occuring every year these murders weren't what rattled me the most. The history of the Mormon church including both the modern and fundementalist sects is extremely disturbing. Any devote member of Mormondom who frowned upon the people who knew of Ron's removal revelation and did not warn Brenda should take a look at themselves for supporting a religion based on murders, rape, adultery, theiving and brainwashing. A religion whos leaders and founders share all share the same qualites as the latter and infact the famous Brigham Young himself has a major university named after him. Its beyond me how a religion less than 200 years old, created in an era of journalism and the printing press where their corrupt history has been documented could evolve at the rate at which it has today. If supporters of this religion were honest with their history, they wouldn't be shocked by these murders at all, in fact such acts are the foundation for the mormon church.

• Religion Hater
    Feb. 19, 2008 12:21 a.m.

Hey Ben Meachen, i agree with everything you have said! It's true, i can't believe that a religion that young could still be around today and it seems more violent than any of the older religions.

I believe that all religion is evil, it forces people apart, and starts wars.

• Terri Ann
    Feb. 27, 2008 5:03 p.m.

Both the author and the Lafferty brothers claim to be seekers of truth. When seeking truth, belief systems must be held to basic truths and examined under that magnifying glass. What happened to "loving your neighbor as yourself" and "turning the other cheek" and loving and praying for those that despitefully use you? If Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and Watson Lafferty and his sons had held their belief systems up to those righteous directives, they would have to question the validity of the tenants they espoused.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 29, 2008 7:07 a.m.

Sad and sick. I hope their cellmates "like" them a lot.

• Sam
    April 9, 2008 9:33 p.m.

This is really sad... My question to everyone though is: Abraham was told to sacrifice his son Issac and almost did. Why would God put someone to such a test, maybe these crazy brothers thought God was testing them?
    See, I am a Mormon and I don't have all the answers...nobody does. I don't understand how people go mental like that after they grow up in the church.
    Ben Meachen you yourself are filled with hatred and don't seem to know anything about the LDS faith. I believe there will always be things in history that we are not proud of. Man is not perfect...well, you might be, the rest of us are just trying to be the best we can be and understand God's will.

• Cami
    April 20, 2008 9:40 p.m.

I would like to say something concerning Under th Banner of Heaven. The author of that book skewed so much of the information, he wanted every bit of it to fit his point of view, making his 'non-fiction' book really a fiction novel. He pretty much says at the end he wrote it the way he wanted to write it whether it fits with the facts or not, so you base your opinions of the Mormon church off a guy who says he isn't using the straight facts but the morphed facts? Its like would you rather listen to a CD that is new and without flaw or a CD that has been scratched and been sitting in the sun and has water damage that messes the entire sound? I have to agree with Sam

• nietzsche
    April 22, 2008 1:45 p.m.

Reading Under the Banner of Heaven, it appears Mormonism grew up during a time of incredible fervor, passion, persecution, zealotry and violence (all of it caused by religion, not all of it caused by Mormonism). The Lafferty's to that extent are simply the "reductio ad absurdum" of this history.

Through religion, rational people can become unhinged.

Cami - you probably derive great comfort from believing Under the Banner of Heaven is "fiction". Believing something doesn't make it true.

• paul
    May 7, 2008 10:52 a.m.

I just finished reading The Banner of Heaven in almost one sitting and came downstairs for coffee, and to wander around the internet for more data. I have rarely been moved so much by a book - and I read constantly. The book is clearly meticulously researched non-fiction, and the author of course expresses much of his own opinion along the way - how could that be avoided when he is pouring his heart into the book like that. The writing is breathtaking - I cannot imagine a person reading chapters in the book like "Evangeline" and not be broken down emotionally, and terribly frightened by what abysses might be (and probably are)lurking in the most "sane" and stable human mind. The book reaches a feverish pitch in the trial in "Judgment in Provo" - Dr. Gardner says how as a boy "I learned the earth was 6,000 years old, just like two plus two is four." This theme is carried over into the last chapter, perhaps the most frightening. That we can learn to accept any sort of horror as normal and even righteous, if it is ingrained in at a young age.

• gulliver
    May 17, 2008 12:31 a.m.

I just finished Under the Banner of Heaven and found it fascinating. For what it's worth, I don't think the book is unfair to mainstream LDS. I've grown up with LDS members in northern California and I have always thought they were decent and hard working people, though a bit clannish. I think any thoughful reader can see that Krakauer makes a careful distinction between the main LDS chruch and the nutty fundamentalists. And every religion has a few nuts.

• EliYah Seraphim
    May 19, 2008 11:11 p.m.

It's about high time we put down the religion pick up the peace pipe and sit together as men, and discuss, openly & honestly what is truly the worth of rightesnouss in this world. YHWH said where 3 or more are gathered there I am in the midst of them, so how about we just stop this absurdity of listening to people preach stupid crap and we just discuss fact vs fiction. Opinion vs theology and figure out what it is that is best for society as a whole. I think the answer would all boil down to 10 simple easy little commandments and nothing more would be necessary. But let us come to that conclusion through discussion, not preaching or teaching, but by conclusive measures through conversational methods.

• b.j
    May 23, 2008 1:29 a.m.

i think they are eveven worst than moslem fundementalists may be equall to talibans

• True Blue
    July 3, 2008 8:09 a.m.

I am a devout Mormon (mainstream) and have read "Under the Banner of Heaven". It is a wonderfully written book. I would recommend it to all my friends in the church as well as my non-member friends. I agree with gulliver. It is a fair look into the the mind set of fanatics. Religous or otherwise.

• bleedkentuckyblue
    July 26, 2008 10:20 a.m.

I don't know how half of these comments got in here. We're not talking about "Under the Banner of Heaven" or whether the Mormon Church's teachings caused the Lafferty's to do such a thing. No normal Mormon is taught this way.
    I am enraged after learning about what happened. Both of them need to be on death row, and they need to be executed quickly. I don't want my tax money paying for these scumbags to be alive. I'm glad they're going to die by firing squad, but why can't they die the way they did? Can we hang them, suffocate them, slit their throats or something like that? I wish the chair were legal in Utah.

• steve ojibway
    July 31, 2008 11:26 a.m.

I was fascinated by the book Under the Banner of Heaven and surprised to find myself reading it all. Krakauer identified sources in the book as anti-LDS, anti-US govt, anti-FLDS, anti-American Indian, etc. Sometimes you had to consider the source of the quotations a little more to detect these biases. It was easy to find imperfection in human behavior, especially religious behavior, but as the final chapters attempt to illustrate in the interview with Deloy Bateman and in the author's own thoughts: Can we really quit all believing, praying, wishing for luck, fearing death, hoping for greater things, seeking beauty and goodness?

After reading I really just want to find out: Is Ronald still on death row???

• The Avenging Angel
    Aug. 8, 2008 10:24 a.m.

Kudos to Krakauer! Finally an unbiased history of the LDS church, right up there with Brodie's.

• Robinidaho
    Aug. 20, 2008 6:41 p.m.

I just read "under the Banner" too. Absolutely a great book. I have been trying to find out why nothing happened to Allen and Claudine Lafferty, and the other members of the "school" for doing nothing to warn the victims. Did anything happen to them? Does anybody know? Their silence in this crime equals complicity in my book, and is reprihensable!! Krakauer did not answer this question, and I have e-mailed reporters at the SLC Trig and Deseret News, but have received no answer.

• bob anderson
    Oct. 2, 2008 3:28 p.m.

under the banner tells it like it is. early brainwashing of any kind will forwever influence how one lives their lives. how could a guy like mitt romney, so smart, be involved with mormonism?

• N. Swegel
    Oct. 5, 2008 3:17 p.m.

Way to go Krakauer, it's time the someone told the truth about the Mormon Fundamentalists! Under the Banner of Heaven is a must read by everyone! I would just like to think that the Feds. will finally put an end to the pedophilia, polygamy, and other horrible things that happen among the Mormon Fundamentalists. As for the Lafferty family - I don't dare to say what fate I wish for them.

• Michelle
    Oct. 14, 2008 6:10 p.m.

Absolutely amazing that anyone still believes at this day and age that "Mormons", Catholics" and other religious sects teach and condone the killing, rape and exploitation of others. What the Lafferty brothers did they did of their own free will, unfortunately they justied their guilt by laying the blaming on the Mormon church.When church members of any religion commit such heinous acts being the molestation of children by priests, marrying young girls and murder "in the name of God" we automatically believe it's what they're taught at church.Try researching facts before jumping on the wagon. John Krauker wrote a book to sell a book, period. The "facts" are distorted with his opinions, if he had actually wrote it to be unbiased it would have never left the shelf. People want controversy, gossip and dirty laundry, applause to Krakauer for his "Hollywood" version of the truth.

• nephiew
    March 16, 2009 12:42 a.m.

I used to drink alot of wine. And I concluded no understanding, as to why these murders couldn't have been stopped before they happened. I also find it very hard to believe, how such a small group of people could actually believe such insanity. And how in these modern times, this small belief could be possibly agreed with. But you can't press rewind and escape the humiliation of being related. We might blame ourselves for our mistakes. But have Dan and Ron, really made life worse for many people? So being a constitutionalist, I am usually against the corrupt modern control of society. So I think that these murders are like living in a circle you cant escape. Although escaping to a new start, is difficult to try and enjoy life again. My life would probably be totally different without this happening.

• Steve
    March 16, 2009 12:55 a.m.

After reading this book, I could definantely tell the fiction involved, to entertain the readers mind. I really know now that its hard to tell the difference between good and evil. And I really think these men were decieved by satin. With the technology of today, these actions have become less and less possible. Its too bad our rights continue to be taken away as well. The Latter day saints believe this to be the last days, until the second coming of christ. It becomes hard to believe the Jews think christ hasn't come yet. I really feel that satin is most in control currently, or these two murderers would be dead long ago.

• Sabrina
    March 16, 2009 1:31 p.m.

I find it interesting what you have written harry. And I being a active Latter Day Saint, think that this has really been a pity. Although I believe in the LDS religoun, I have children that don't. And I really know that it is important to not control my children religously. Because life is a long lesson to learn. And you cant ruin a persons mind for not complying with your religous beliefs. After reading this book, Under the Banner of Heaven. I think that freedom applyed constitutionally, could have stopped this from happening. But with so many corrupt forms of control. I guess the anger and insanity escaped some how invinsibly I guess. And that is why ive read this book. Due to the amazment, that such a small group of people could actually believe this way. And how these murderers could, for no reason at all, still be alive.

• Kristin
    March 19, 2009 4:03 p.m.

He says he is receiving "revelation from God" and now he keeps entering appeals to the court because he claims he was not fairly represented in his original trial. I can't think of anyone sane who would want to represent this fool. Also, who is to say he hasn't received a "revelation" while in prison and he goes on another killing spree? I don't trust this man at all, especially if he thinks that what he did wasn't wrong.

• Dave
    March 30, 2009 10:28 a.m.

Being a non-Mormon I have read the Krakauer book "Under the Banner of Heaven" and have come to the conclusion that while there are some sections of this book which are very disturbing I don't know enough about the LDS church to make an objective judgement on the religion as a whole based upon this one book. That said I don't believe condemning a whole faith based group for the crazy actions of two individuals is fair nor is very "christian-like." Every religion contains those individuals who are of the "lunatic fringe" and thus are capable of committing such heinous acts as those of the Lafferty brothers. The main thing to keep in mind is that the Lafferty brothers were not members of the mainstream Latter-Day Saints and instead were acting out on their own warped sense of "religion."

• Annon
    April 16, 2009 6:20 p.m.

I am a student currently studying to be a paralegal and in one of my assignments I had to research and learn about this case. I have read the document written in the court room as well as many other documents that are found in the legal world. This case truly made me sick. I found myself wanting to learn more about it and the families involved. My deepest sorrow goes to the families of Brenda and to Allen. People accuse Allen by stating that he knew about the revelation and didnt warn his family about it, I believe this to be totally and completly faulse. I have personally read the testimonies of Dan, Ron and Allen and all three say that Allen had nothing to do with it and that the shock of losing his wife and daughter came as a shock just like everyone else, maybe even more so. I am a Christian that believes in God and am very religious and active in my faith, hearing this story really made me think of the power of good and evil. They both exist and there is no comparing the two. Everything is either right or wrong.

• CJ
    May 14, 2009 8:37 a.m.

Amazing how twisted and brain washed some people can become. I grew up with Brenda in Idaho and was raised in the church. While there are some very good teachings and practices within, there are some very warped messages and hidden truths that the church likes to sweep under the rug. These Lafferty boys don't need to be on death row, they need to be dead. Further, anyone with prior knowlege of their plans who did not come forward to warn anyone should be imprisoned at the very least. I have since fallen away from the church, but the majority of my family are all 'true believers'...I guess I am one of the few that can think outside of the box and not need to be led to slaughter like the sheep that most Mormons are...I suppose that many other relgions are much the same...I know a few Catholics and Assembly of God members who are not too far off of the fanatical state of the Laffertys. We live in a sad world. The reality - There is no god, there is no heaven or hell...there is only life and death. JEFFS

• Stew
    July 9, 2009 3:42 p.m.

The author of the book is rational unlike 98% of Americans. His opinion is evident and I am in full agreement "One man's religion is another man's delusion." Faith is man's most outdated tool against the darkness and death. Smile, there is no hell.

• ryan
    Oct. 27, 2009 6:35 a.m.

This comment is in response to an individual on here who claims that the modern day mormon church is founded on murder and bloodshed. To you sir i ask, are you catholic, if so, your religion has slaughtered millions at the stake. Dont be so quick to condemn the mormon faith when you have no idea about its modern teachings. Mormons are some of the most decent and humble people walking this earth. they had a violent and disturbing past, like many or all religions. it just saddens me that people read this book with no objectivity or knowledge of the mormon church, and then form a belief that everything in this book applies to the modern day church...

• Tori
    Dec. 31, 2009 8:55 a.m.

First of all, just because someone does something and they belong to some religion, DOESN'T MEAN THAT'S WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN! There have been countless molestations by Catholic preists, I'm pretty sure they don't teach their believers that it's the right thing to do. The attacks of 9/11, alot of people that believe in the SAME religion as the terrorists say that their suicide missions are NOT part of their religion that the terrorists claim to be. They even say there must be a different Allah because the Allah we know and worship doesn't say anything about doing that kind of stuff. We are suppose to represent our families, our school, our religion, whatever you represent, but when someone falls and all you see is the "religious" flag they are carrying, doesn't mean you should jump to conclusions and think "that must be what THEY believe in", we are all human, and humans can fall...but it's not our job to judge, no-one in this whole entire earth will ever know his mindset.

• To RYAN
    Dec. 31, 2009 12:27 p.m.

I made the comment you are referring to and i just wanted to make it clear that i am atheist and I agree with you that the Catholic church along with ALL religions are guilty of horrific histories. However i do find Mormonism especially troubling due to its rapid advance in the world and how young it is compared to other religions. Its creation parallels that of many upstart cults that we see pop up in todays world. Religion is repsonsible for so much evil in this world and the sooner people live their lives for themselves as opposed to living it for a myth, the sooner we will find global peace. I understand that its difficult to break away from everything your parents have likely force fed you your whole life, i was upset when i learned Santa Clause was a fake too!

I want to make it clear that i do not hold any hatred towards religious people, i have many religious friends, this is merely my opinion which i am free to share on a open forum such as this, as are you. Maybe not at a dinner table though.

• Brian
    Jan. 12, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Faith is a disgusting thing.

• To Brian:
    March 2, 2010 10:17 a.m.

You paint with a mighty broad brush. Is it your ignorance speaking?.....