In early 1838, as their missions to Great Britain drew to a close, Elders Heber C. Kimball and Orson Hyde resolved to organize and strengthen the branches of the church that they had already established. That left virtually no time to work in areas where the gospel had not yet been introduced.
Word came that they were wanted in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, by many who were eager to hear their message. Deciding to accommodate the request, the missionaries preached in a chapel, which is now a combination home and business.
The minister, the Rev. John Spooner, and those listening were enthralled by the message. After preaching, Elders Kimball and Hyde were invited to Rev. Spooner's home, right, where they discussed gospel principles until 2 a.m.
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company