Utah State women's tennis was defeated by Texas State, 4-3, at home Saturday as it won two of the three doubles matches securing the point and won two of the six singles matches. The Aggies are now 4-9 overall for the season with the loss, including an 0-3 record in conference play.
In singles play, sophomore McKenzie Davis defeated Jessica Kahts in three sets at the No. 1 position (6-4, 5-7, 6-4). At the No. 2 position, senior Jaci West took down Melissa Hadad in three sets (6-4, 1-6, 7-5). At the No. 3 position, senior Kristina Voytsekhovich was taken down by Monica Pieratt in straight sets (6-0, 6-3). At the No. 4 position, freshman Kallie Sperry was defeated in straight sets by Rachel Baldree (6-2, 6-1). At the No. 5 position, sophomore Hillary Hays fell to Mariana Perez in straight sets (6-4, 6-4), and freshman Ashley Stuhlmann was defeated by Berenice Van den Bergh in straight sets at the No. 6 spot (6-4, 6-5).
In doubles action, West and Davis defeated Knight and Pieratt at the first position, 8-2. At the second doubles position, Sperry and Voytsekhovich were taken down by Hadad and Perez, 8-6. The last doubles match was left unfinished.
The Aggies will host one more WAC match this weekend at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club as they take on Seattle on Sunday, Apr. 7 at 9 a.m. After this weekend, the Aggies will take a break from WAC play as they travel to El Paso, Texas, to take on UTEP on Thursday, Apr. 11 at 2 p.m.
1. McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Jessica Kahts (TSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
2. Jaci West (USU) def. Melissa Hadad (TSU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
3. Monica Pieratt (TSU) def. Kristina Voytsekhovich (USU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Rachel Baldree (TSU) def. Kallie Sperry (USU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Mariana Perez (TSU) def. Hillary Hays (USU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Berenice Van den Bergh (TSU) def. Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) 6-4, 7-5
1. Davis/West (USU) def. Knight/Pieratt (TSU) 8-2
2. Sperry/Voytsekhovich (USU) def. Hadad/Perez (TSU) 8-6
3. Hays/Stuhlman (USU) vs Van den Bergh/Collins (TSU) DNF
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.