In 1954, Clifton Kerr, president of the British Mission, received directions from President David O. McKay to find property for a chapel in the center of London. The church bought the land for the Hyde Park building when not a single member lived within a seven-mile radius.

The structure was originally dedicated by President McKay in 1961. After being refurbished, it was rededicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley 34 years later.

Because of its location and history, the Hyde Park chapel is regarded as one of the most well-known meetinghouses in the LDS Church. The diversity of its members comes from the many who flock to London from all over the world.

The structure is presently a multi-use facility, serving as a chapel, family history center and visitors' center. The building houses two wards and a branch. This complex is also the center for the London England Hyde Park Stake, comprising seven wards and 2,000 members from 115 countries.