On Jan. 5, 1842, the Prophet Joseph Smith opened for business in his new red brick store on Water Street in Nauvoo. Joseph engaged in the day-to-day business activities for a time, but ultimately turned the business side of things over to others.

As president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and mayor, he continued to use the store, maintaining an office on the second floor and using the larger room for a number of other functions.

Joseph formally organized the Nauvoo Female Relief Society in that room on March 17, 1842. Emma Smith was set apart as president with Elizabeth Ann Whitney and Sarah Cleveland as counselors. Eliza R. Snow was secretary.

Due to deterioration, the store was torn down in the late 1800s. The Community of Christ rebuilt the store on its original site. It was dedicated and opened to the public in the spring of 1980.